PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Advice wanted

Stevo
21-01-2017, 10:08
I’m quite new to the forum and just wanted a bit of input/advice. Having just returned from Tenerife after having a good catch up with a friend who lives in Costa Adeje, I have made the decision that I am going to become a swallow in about 5 years time and live in Tenerife in the winter months Oct – March. I have a few things to get sorted in the UK and then I should be able to live in Tenerife comfortably without the need to work. I’m aware about things such as getting a NIE number, opening a bank account and getting some health cover, is there anything else needed?
I’m interested in buying an apartment in Costa Adeje/Torviscas area for 150,000 euros max that can be rented out for the other 6 months, however as I’ll want a car then this area is not crucial and I would be quite happy somewhere a bit further away if I would get more for my money, any suggestions? The apartments at Amarilla Golf seem more value and beautiful views etc, any experiences of this area anyone?
While I’m in the UK is it difficult getting a reliable cleaner for the apartment?
What could I do with my car while I am in the UK? Or instead of buying one are there 6 month rentals at decent rates?
I’d also like a small storage unit as I’d probably change beds & settee during rental months and store clothes/belongings etc, are these easily available?
Anyway that's enough for the time being, there'll probably be more questions over the next 5 years while I put everything in place. :thanx:

Stevo
22-01-2017, 11:35
Do any residents/ex pats come on here or is it mainly holidaymakers?

Angusjim
22-01-2017, 11:56
I would say mainly holidaymakers but there are many swallows & residents as well. Have you tried the search facility top right corner I am sure some of the things you ask about have been covered before.
With regard to renting out are you talking about buying on residential complex and doing long lets or on a touristic complex and doing holiday lets ? contact Stuart or Andy at http://propertiesareus.com/about-us/ both are really upfront great guys who will help with your property search and give you good honest advice. Also look http://www.diana-mcglone.com/ on here she seems to be well thought of, hope this helps a little. There are few who can help you and are more qualified than me to help, hopefully they will join in with your thread and offer you help and advice. ( I am a holidaymaker but once upon a time owned an apartment out there ):tiphat:

cressrt
22-01-2017, 12:12
It is unlikely you would be able to rent out for 6 months, it would have to be a long let and I doubt if anyone would only be looking for that length of time and then move out. You may be able to get a parking space and or trastero with an apartment that you could use when you are not here, There are lots of cleaners here some legal many not.
Amarilla Golf is quite an old area, there are some newer properties but most are older, be aware it is also on the flight path so you get the plane noise.
Also 5 years is a long way off and a lot of what you are asking for now may not be valid then.

essexeddie
22-01-2017, 19:23
There are a few swallows on here and I am one of them. Oct to March but pop back for Xmas, as it better for the insurance. You're best bet is to holiday here in different places to find what suits you. But as said things can change in five years that may alter your plans.

Hepa
22-01-2017, 21:20
I reside on El Hierro, i used to be a swallow, I stored the car in our garage, sometimes for 9 months, battery disconnected, handbrake off, and car covered with cloth, when I returned it always started first time!!

Stevo
23-01-2017, 12:46
I would say mainly holidaymakers but there are many swallows & residents as well. Have you tried the search facility top right corner I am sure some of the things you ask about have been covered before.
With regard to renting out are you talking about buying on residential complex and doing long lets or on a touristic complex and doing holiday lets ? contact Stuart or Andy at http://propertiesareus.com/about-us/ both are really upfront great guys who will help with your property search and give you good honest advice. Also look http://www.diana-mcglone.com/ on here she seems to be well thought of, hope this helps a little. There are few who can help you and are more qualified than me to help, hopefully they will join in with your thread and offer you help and advice. ( I am a holidaymaker but once upon a time owned an apartment out there ):tiphat:

Thanks Angusjim, I'm not really too fussed about long lets or holiday lets TBH, I suppose long lets won't gain as much income but holiday lets will be more hassle, something I need to think about.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

It is unlikely you would be able to rent out for 6 months, it would have to be a long let and I doubt if anyone would only be looking for that length of time and then move out. You may be able to get a parking space and or trastero with an apartment that you could use when you are not here, There are lots of cleaners here some legal many not.
Amarilla Golf is quite an old area, there are some newer properties but most are older, be aware it is also on the flight path so you get the plane noise.
Also 5 years is a long way off and a lot of what you are asking for now may not be valid then.

Thanks cressrt, I didn't mean that I would rent it to one person for 6 months, maybe a couple of holiday lets and 1 or 2 month rentals here and there. I think looking for somewhere that had it's own storage and car parking is a good idea.
My thoughts on Amarilla Golf is that it isn't directly under the flight path like parts of Golf de Sur, it's only a short drive to Costa Adeje/Las Americas etc, close to the sea (some of the apartments I've seen for sale have stunning views), probably get more for my money than I would in CA/LA and I do like my golf!!

There are a few swallows on here and I am one of them. Oct to March but pop back for Xmas, as it better for the insurance. You're best bet is to holiday here in different places to find what suits you. But as said things can change in five years that may alter your plans.

I will be doing just that over the next 5 years essexeddie. I'll be holidaying in south Tenerife for the next 5 years at Christmas/New Year time and I'm looking for somewhere in Amarilla for this year. Probably do somewhere different every year before I make my decision on where I'd want to live for 6 months of the year that is ok to rent out too

I reside on El Hierro, i used to be a swallow, I stored the car in our garage, sometimes for 9 months, battery disconnected, handbrake off, and car covered with cloth, when I returned it always started first time!!

Top tip there Hepa :respect:

Angusjim
23-01-2017, 13:13
Thanks Angusjim, I'm not really too fussed about long lets or holiday lets TBH, I suppose long lets won't gain as much income but holiday lets will be more hassle, something I need to think about.

Thanks cressrt, I didn't mean that I would rent it to one person for 6 months, maybe a couple of holiday lets and 1 or 2 month rentals here and there. I think looking for somewhere that had it's own storage and car parking is a good idea.
My thoughts on Amarilla Golf is that it isn't directly under the flight path like parts of Golf de Sur, it's only a short drive to Costa Adeje/Las Americas etc, close to the sea (some of the apartments I've seen for sale have stunning views), probably get more for my money than I would in CA/LA and I do like my golf!!

I will be doing just that over the next 5 years essexeddie. I'll be holidaying in south Tenerife for the next 5 years at Christmas/New Year time and I'm looking for somewhere in Amarilla for this year. Probably do somewhere different every year before I make my decision on where I'd want to live for 6 months of the year that is ok to rent out too

Top tip there Hepa :respect:

Keep in mind that holiday lets are only legal on complexes with touristic licences there is a VERY long thread about this subject on here:eek: I do think there are many touristic complexes on Amarilla but good luck with your plans and hope it all goes well for you:)

Stevo
23-01-2017, 14:16
Keep in mind that holiday lets are only legal on complexes with touristic licences there is a VERY long thread about this subject on here:eek: I do think there are many touristic complexes on Amarilla but good luck with your plans and hope it all goes well for you:)

Yeh I have read that thread in it's entirety :reading: I'm hoping to buy somewhere well within the 5 years, along with the reference you gave me I have noticed that there are other estate agents on here so I'll definitely be doing plenty of homework and research :tiphat:

tfs1
23-01-2017, 14:55
Yeh I have read that thread in it's entirety :reading: I'm hoping to buy somewhere well within the 5 years, along with the reference you gave me I have noticed that there are other estate agents on here so I'll definitely be doing plenty of homework and research :tiphat:

regarding people selling properties - Accept nothing, Believe nobody, Check/Confirm/Challenge everything.

seaboy
23-01-2017, 18:14
regarding people selling properties - Accept nothing, Believe nobody, Check/Confirm/Challenge everything.

Here is one to avoid. Lupain properties.

http://www.eldiario.es/tenerifeahora/Desmantelan-red-estafas-inmobiliarias-Tenerife_0_446556307.html

tfs1
23-01-2017, 19:10
Here is one to avoid. Lupain properties.

http://www.eldiario.es/tenerifeahora/Desmantelan-red-estafas-inmobiliarias-Tenerife_0_446556307.html

oddly enough someone was saying something similar to me today !