PDA

View Full Version : Other is tenerife to expensive

tub
08-03-2017, 21:49
I was wondering if tenerife accommodation is pricing its self out of the market we are in fuerteventura and the apartment is brill full english tv private internet two bedrooms on a first class complex it would have cost half as much again if we rented one in playa thats if we could get one as good as this is what do others think

willowlily
08-03-2017, 23:24
I was wondering if tenerife accommodation is pricing its self out of the market we are in fuerteventura and the apartment is brill full english tv private internet two bedrooms on a first class complex it would have cost half as much again if we rented one in playa thats if we could get one as good as this is what do others think

its a matter of supply and demand, as long as people keep wanting to come to Tenerife prices will stay as they are.

Angusjim
09-03-2017, 07:48
We have started going to Lanzarote not because of cost but there does seem to be better choice & costs look a bit cheaper

phillip
09-03-2017, 09:54
its a matter of supply and demand, as long as people keep wanting to come to Tenerife prices will stay as they are.

I think you are absolutely correct. Tenerife has benefited from the troubles throughout the World and seems to be viewed as a safe alternative to many destinations.
We were coming here for 35 years before moving here and have always enjoyed the climate, local culture and friendliness of the people - you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

seanocelt
09-03-2017, 12:05
We are almost full, have been since Tunisia tragedy and terrorism elsewhere. Some are cashing in, simple as that. Could be argued Tenerife has been very cheap for years, over supply. Food and drink is still a saving too. But there are very few cheap apartments or hotels just now.

Angusjim
09-03-2017, 12:08
We are almost full, have been since Tunisia tragedy and terrorism elsewhere. Some are cashing in, simple as that. Could be argued Tenerife has been very cheap for years, over supply. Food and drink is still a saving too. But there are very few cheap apartments or hotels just now.

Hi Sean
Is that why its maybe went a bit quiet on the illegal letting front do you think are they turning a blind eye because without these properties they could not cope

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Which area are you staying in ? is this a "private" rental agreement ? I enjoyed Fuerteventura but the Mrs did not hence we have not been back:(

blondie
09-03-2017, 14:28
I agree about the rentals and hotels being stupid sometimes and some downright greedy . We were in Fuerteventurafew weeks ago because of the prices asked for hotels apts etc. We definately got the holiday cheaper but that was more because of the low flight price but I must admit we found Tenerife to bemuch cheaper in other ways . I dont think the prices have changed for years its still great value for money once you are there.

macdonald5
09-03-2017, 14:57
I agree about the rentals and hotels being stupid sometimes and some downright greedy . We were in Fuerteventurafew weeks ago because of the prices asked for hotels apts etc. We definately got the holiday cheaper but that was more because of the low flight price but I must admit we found Tenerife to bemuch cheaper in other ways . I dont think the prices have changed for years its still great value for money once you are there.

Definitely true blondie, our big Mercadona shop we get delivered when we arrive has been almost the same amount for about 6/7 years Eating out same ,our 'spends' over years are almost same

blondie
09-03-2017, 15:49
So it begs the question , who is making all the money now ,is it the travel companies , apt owners or the hotels . The supermarkets and
restaurants prices have been the same for years , I was certainly expecting them to follow suit.

macdonald5
09-03-2017, 16:48
So it begs the question , who is making all the money now ,is it the travel companies , apt owners or the hotels . The supermarkets and
restaurants prices have been the same for years , I was certainly expecting them to follow suit.

Very fair question !! Yes I suspect theire are a lot of money grabbers but I suppose that's 'business' ....take it while they can
The ones who really P me off are the apartment owners asking high prices and not upgrading accommodation, have seen some coups asking £500 plus a week

Same with some of the hotels asking lots for just passable accommodation etc

essexeddie
09-03-2017, 19:24
As said supply and demand. Our complex is taking bookings for 2020 now. Tenerife getting extremely busy now. you can tell by the amount of traffic. The airport is chocker block with travellers. I cant see it slowing down due to the problems around the world. At the moment its a safe place.

tub
09-03-2017, 21:06
angusjim we are in caleta de fuste we also go to lanzarote and will be there in september we were in tenerife at christmas but herself says thats the last time at christmas but we might get back some other time

9PLUS
10-03-2017, 07:50
Lanzarote 1st day, wow look at those lovely beaches, and mountain range

Lanzarote 2nd day, wow look at those lovely beaches, and mountain range

Lanzarote 5 th day, wow look at those lovely beaches, and mountain range

Lanzarote 7th day zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

delderek
10-03-2017, 09:53

3rd and 4th day. Bit too windy to look at the lovely beaches and mountain ranges. (Also applies to the Island named Strongwind).:whistle:

Angusjim
10-03-2017, 10:08

But less chance of having your pocket picked or being mugged :(

9PLUS
10-03-2017, 10:26
Strong wind...............pfft

Blimey it's Great Adventure innit

cheery
10-03-2017, 15:21
When were over in September visiting friends and in particular his bars :whistle: he said it shouldn't be that busy at this time of year. It is unquestionably the terrorism aspect doing this. We went to Egypt twice a few years ago, both times in March, would we go there now. Not a chance. Too far to the Caribbean and too expensive when you get there. At least if flights are dear in Tenerife, you know that you can still get good value for money in the bars and restaurants.

No, my friend didn't tell me to put that last bit.:cheeky:

warbey
10-03-2017, 19:24
Strong wind...............pfft

Blimey it's Great Adventure innit

3a will do Lanzarote but 10a for Tenerife in Electrical Terms. ? zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::agree:

fixer
10-03-2017, 22:39
What do people think a one bed in a tourist complex should cost then.

Arona1
11-03-2017, 02:58
But less chance of having your pocket picked or being mugged :(

I was on holiday in Lanzarote a few years back, one night got chatting to a couple at the next table, he said "never coming back here again, had my pocket picked last night, happens everywhere unfortunately

Angusjim
11-03-2017, 07:27
I was on holiday in Lanzarote a few years back, one night got chatting to a couple at the next table, he said "never coming back here again, had my pocket picked last night, happens everywhere unfortunately

Appears not to the same extent as Tenerife at the moment unfortunately

I would assume it would depend on standard of the apartment and what you get for your money in the way of facilities

macdonald5
11-03-2017, 09:03

Depends on location and standard ,around £300 to £500 if suitable to requirements
Often you do get what you pay for

fixer
11-03-2017, 17:17
My aircond apartment if booked through onsite management is £300 for years it was £250 these days i think £290 to £320 is reasonable to pay for a nice well equipped apartment. Hotels seem to have jacked up prices supply and demand! eating out still cheap and still can get a beer for a euro.

delderek
11-03-2017, 19:47
My aircond apartment if booked through onsite management is £300 for years it was £250 these days i think £290 to £320 is reasonable to pay for a nice well equipped apartment. Hotels seem to have jacked up prices supply and demand! eating out still cheap and still can get a beer for a euro.

Yup your right, and Tenerife is on a high, but, that one euro pint was about 67p not long ago now it's nearer 95p, similar for restaurants, and a 25% increase in prices will have an effect, probably not this year, but it will sooner or later, plus possibly having to pay for visa waivers etc. I note your apartment is priced in pounds, many are not. I remember around 2005 it was busy busy, bars putting up prices regularly, everyone thinking nothing could go wrong, but it did. So no one should be too greedy.

tfs1
11-03-2017, 20:32

What complex is your apartment on ?

tub
11-03-2017, 21:50
but what would you have to pay for the same apartment at christmas does the extra subsidise the rest of the year

9PLUS
11-03-2017, 22:13

I was on holiday in Lanzarote a few years back, one night got chatting to a couple at the next table, then XXX, high five

xxx

Angusjim
11-03-2017, 22:27
I was on holiday in Lanzarote a few years back, one night got chatting to a couple at the next table, then XXX, high five

xxx

Yea that was handy chance meeting he had:laugh:

fixer
11-03-2017, 23:06
What complex is your apartment on ?

Cristiansur

i dont let mine Xmas New year i use it but usually they are about £100 more dont think £100 will subsidise the rest off the year.

Angusjim
12-03-2017, 09:53

As a matter on interest is it the management agents that decide cost charged for your apartment and how much you receive from them?

fixer
12-03-2017, 17:47
As a matter on interest is it the management agents that decide cost charged for your apartment and how much you receive from them?

Yes if they do the rental

seanocelt
13-03-2017, 23:18
Average one bed with decent standards in Americas or Cristianos, 225 to 350 STERLING per week, dearer in winter than summer, so up 20% on average from 2 years ago .
Long term rental, as above, 600 to 800 depending on several factors, but up 30% on average and climbing (if you can get one even in far flung places).
Wages of bar staff,restaurant staff etc? Static.

Price of food and drink in tourist bars, up 10% max. Availabilty of commercial property, way way down.

Its all skewed but for the tourist still great value in my opinion.

Its shifting sands for the resident, facing heavier traffic, less parking availability, increased costs but some job security. Supermarket prices pretty static, odd exceptions. Im just back from Galway, dearest holiday EVER.

bennoa1
14-03-2017, 14:10
Need to up our long term rent then!! Eating and drinking is excellent value - we used to go out almost nightly (as well as in the daytime) but now just tend to have one big meal out (breakfast, lunch or dinner (maybe just some tapas)) and then eat in the apartment. Got a gas BBQ now so its easy to cook fish/meat on the BBQ with some veg, salad, bread, spuds etc. Very cheap fresh food in the supermarkets and farmers markets, and wine is a giveaway. Reasonable (decent strength and taste OK) lager cans c30 cents each. Tend to spend 70-100 euros a day in total for the 2 of us and we don't skimp. We do have the odd more expensive meal (ie Coeur de Filet in Fanabe) with a bottle or 2 of decent wine.

supercorny
14-03-2017, 17:17
When the prices for rentals rise, I would go on lower quality with the hotel / apartment (but the accommodation has to be central) or look for dates that aren't questioned that strong trying to safe money that way. Trying the canarian food, meeting people in bars and restaurants, that's holidays for me. No duties going to the supermarket, wasting time with cooking (which is by the way not my best skill) and cleaning the kitchen ;-)