PDA

View Full Version : Other Taxi Fare

ddoyle
28-04-2017, 11:05
Friends arrived last night from the UK, they took a Taxi from the airport to Biltmore Las Chafiras a journey of approx, five minutes three adults and three children all under the age of ten, taxi meter read €11 taxi driver charged €20, even €11 is a bit steep in my opinion for such a short journey. There are more sharks on land in Tenerife than in the sea around us.

blondie
28-04-2017, 13:40
Taxi drivers are mostly a law unto themselves , we were ripped off a few times couple of weeks ago . If you do question them you get a torrent of abuse
from some of them . The one who ripped us off both with my fare and the change drove like a maniac ,as well , I was terrified and told him about it . More abuse
and said we were typical off the people from our country I remember what he looks like and hope to come upon him again some day .

Ecky Thump
28-04-2017, 13:45
Taxi drivers are mostly a law unto themselves , we were ripped off a few times couple of weeks ago . If you do question them you get a torrent of abuse
from some of them . The one who ripped us off both with my fare and the change drove like a maniac ,as well , I was terrified and told him about it . More abuse
and said we were typical off the people from our country I remember what he looks like and hope to come upon him again some day .

I heard that the driver now had a job with this company...... http://www.ayrtaxis.uk/
:twak: :D

LUCKY
29-04-2017, 12:43
Friends arrived last night from the UK, they took a Taxi from the airport to Biltmore Las Chafiras a journey of approx, five minutes three adults and three children all under the age of ten, taxi meter read €11 taxi driver charged €20, even €11 is a bit steep in my opinion for such a short journey. There are more sharks on land in Tenerife than in the sea around us.
I do not think 11 euro a bit steep.I pay including tip to and from Lower GDS. 15 euro:flatcap::feret::feret::feret:

Ecky Thump
29-04-2017, 13:18
I do not think 11 euro a bit steep.I pay including tip to and from Lower GDS. 15 euro:flatcap::feret::feret::feret:

It's the 'Ferrets' that they charge you extra for! :raspberry2:

I now check the meter and never pay more and watch for their little add ons, like when they try to charge extra for a street pickup, when you have got the taxi at a rank.

delderek
29-04-2017, 14:03
It's the 'Ferrets' that they charge you extra for! :raspberry2:

I now check the meter and never pay more and watch for their little add ons, like when they try to charge extra for a street pickup, when you have got the taxi at a rank.

There is no supplement for that. 0.50 extra if you ring for one.

Ecky Thump
29-04-2017, 14:37
There is no supplement for that. 0.50 extra if you ring for one.

Thanks for that, that's probably just one of the little fictional extras that they try to explain to you that you have been charged for, another one is charging for a late night taxi, when it's only 8pm.

They certainly know all the little fiddles to get a few extra cents from you.:twak:

I should add that the vast majority of the Tenerife Taxi Drivers that we have encountered over many years have been helpful and pleasant.:)

Chine
29-04-2017, 16:04

i pay the same but we are Upper GDS where as you are lower! :hide:

delderek
29-04-2017, 18:22
Thanks for that, that's probably just one of the little fictional extras that they try to explain to you that you have been charged for, another one is charging for a late night taxi, when it's only 8pm.

They certainly know all the little fiddles to get a few extra cents from you.:twak:

I should add that the vast majority of the Tenerife Taxi Drivers that we have encountered over many years have been helpful and pleasant.:)

I would add that most of them I encountered were only helpful and pleasant when they were ripping you off. When you confront them, a complete change of character. In my case knowing how much it should be, caused confrontation around 8 out of 10 times.

Ecky Thump
29-04-2017, 18:37

I would add that most of them I encountered were only helpful and pleasant when they were ripping you off. When you confront them, a complete change of character. In my case knowing how much it should be, caused confrontation around 8 out of 10 times.

I must be one of the lucky ones who have never been met with abuse when I have challenged them about trying to rip me off, but maybe it's the presence of Carol that subdues them into submission!:twak:

https://youtu.be/dK3huJSkoZg

ddoyle
29-04-2017, 19:18

I have to say a journey if similar duration ie, 5 mns at home costs about €6 so I do feel that €11 a tad on the steep side, whereas €20 was outrageous.

pikano
05-05-2017, 01:20
Is there anything like Uber operating in Tenerife?

junglejim
05-05-2017, 08:17
Is there anything like Uber operating in Tenerife?

With the influence the Taxi syndicate here has ,not a chance !
They managed to stop the airport bus service that ran from CC del Duque a few years ago -there would be murder in the streets if Uber came here !