PDA

View Full Version : Other New to Tenerife holidays - suggestions, please!

ChrisM4
01-05-2017, 13:47
My wife and I are planning a week's holiday in Tenerife this year. We plan to book a place via Airbnb and flights separately and would prefer to not have to hire a car due to expense and hassle. We like traditional Spain, and I speak early intermediate Spanish, so we like to be in an area where we can visit historic and cultural places, vineyards, and experience local culture.

It's looking like being sometime in October at the moment, so advice on weather is also welcome.

Obviously, I could Google this, but I'd welcome the input of people experienced in either living or travelling there.

Many thanks. Chris

polremy
01-05-2017, 18:45
Try Puerto de la Cruz or even Santa Cruz.
Either are accessible without a car and have plenty of interesting places to see as well as authentic restaurants.

warbey
01-05-2017, 19:55
I would agree with the previous poster that the North segment would be the best destination.

I think history goes back to the 1600's with the original inhabitants and you may know Horatio Nelson lost his arm attacking the Santa Cruz area.

As in the Mainland there is a bus service for a lot of places, so that is worth researching too. The Buses are ran by a company called Titsa with a website to browse through. There is also an arrangement where if You buy a bonobus Ticket you travel cheaper using it. It can be used for two people and most journeys.

October will be quite balmy. Weather used to be monotonous sun, but can be unsettled at times now. *still warm though)

A week is a short time to digest this island. Many of us go back as often as possible. Enjoy your trip!/

supercorny
01-05-2017, 21:20
I would suggest the area of la Laguna. As a university city, there should be plenty offers at Airbnb, enough options to speak and improve your language skills and food options. it has a beautiful old town to visit and the public transport to other destinations and the beaches as well as to the anaga mountains should be easy. Another advantage is the short distance to both sides of the island, the north with its beautiful green landscape, and the area of Santa Cruz with stable and warm weather.

Liftman
02-05-2017, 17:51
I agree with all the above. The North is far richer, culturally, than the south, which up until only a few decades ago was mainly small fishing villages.

All along the North coast from Puerto de la Cruz to Icod de los Vinos would be very intersting to explore by bus.

tub
02-05-2017, 19:33
i would have said santa cruz for a more spanish type holiday

junglejim
03-05-2017, 06:44
Santa Cruz would a better option than Puerto de La Cruz as it has the major bus station and Transvia tram link up to La Laguna .
The Bono ticket will indeed get you discount for all your journeys & I think discounted entry to some museums .

http://titsa.com/index.php/en/

Journey by Bus into Orotava Valley area will get you a more Canarian/Hispanic culture , vineyards etc.

A week is not a long time ,so plan it well - by studying bus timetable you should manage quite a lot !

bennoa1
03-05-2017, 12:54
We've just got back and they are adding a card called ten+ which will apparently give bigger discounts and also discounts at museums and other public attractions:
https://www.advartis.uk/2017/04/22/tenmas-new-tenerife-titsa-tranvia-contactless-payments-card/
Not sure if its just residents only and they were starting trials this month with full roll out by 2018. The Bono card will co-exist for now but suspect will get withdrawn.

Emiliazoe
12-07-2017, 15:39
I think Santa Cruz is a better option than Puerto de La Cruz. The advantage is the island, the north with its beautiful green landscape, and the area of Santa Cruz with stable and warm weather. There are so many natural beauties to enjoy. Another advantage is paragliding over this island. There are so many paragliding trainers are available there. If you will go for this, you should choose a good trainer. I know Skyparafly is providing good paragliding service. You can contact this.