PDA

View Full Version : Food Fish Farming

lsmt971
06-05-2017, 10:34
As you fly over the island you can see the big rings out at sea which I presume are for fish farming!

Does anyone know how much this has impacted on real boat fishing or is that still alive and well on a daily basis?

Ecky Thump
06-05-2017, 12:26
As you fly over the island you can see the big rings out at sea which I presume are for fish farming!

Does anyone know how much this has impacted on real boat fishing or is that still alive and well on a daily basis?

I would have thought that fish farming in Tenerife would have only a limited effect on sea fishing, the boats in Los Cristianos are still bringing in large daily amounts of tuna which is generally shipped off to mainland Spain.

I do wonder what varieties of fish can be successfully farmed off the coast of Tenerife on a commercial basis, or is it a fish breeding programme???

I have just read this article from 2011.

Criticised as an unnecessary eye-sore by the tourist sector and firmly opposed by traditional fishermen, the circular cages have been the subject of heated dispute in recent years. The government has now served formal notice to the company awarded the licence to install them a decade ago, in some cases with EU funding, that the licence will be withdrawn due to the lack of activity. 'Many of the cages have been abandoned and are literally falling apart, with parts washing up dangerously on the shore' said one local fisherman. The firm responsible has been given 10 days to give its explanations before a final decision is given.

clara
06-05-2017, 18:18
They just farm dorada (sea bream) as far as I know. The farms that are still working are the one at Los Cristianos and the one out from Puerto Colon - Los Gigantes and Callao Salvage farms have been taken away now.

delderek
06-05-2017, 18:26
If you keep a watch on the harbour in Los Cris, you will see the special fish farm boats equipped with cranes going to and fro, with large sacks of food pellets, and smaller bags presumably antibiotics, and then different vessels returning with some pretty large fish, with trucks already waiting on shore, to load them up. And then watch closely once the trucks are gone, you might see the captain bring out a large fish that has been hidden in a locker somewhere, and barter with some waiting people on the shore. Captains perks?

Ecky Thump
06-05-2017, 19:15
If you keep a watch on the harbour in Los Cris, you will see the special fish farm boats equipped with cranes going to and fro, with large sacks of food pellets, and smaller bags presumably antibiotics, and then different vessels returning with some pretty large fish, with trucks already waiting on shore, to load them up. And then watch closely once the trucks are gone, you might see the captain bring out a large fish that has been hidden in a locker somewhere, and barter with some waiting people on the shore. Captains perks?

Yes, we have seen these work boats coming in and out, but not so common a occurrence recently, the only fish that we have seen in large quantities is from the tuna boats.

It's certainly a worrying factor if what you have said about antibiotics, when most of the worlds health authorities are trying to limit its usage.

As for the practice of holding back prime fish, this I think is accepted practice in the fishing industry, it certainly is in all the fishing ports close to where I live and in any other ports in Scotland. A little tax free perk for a extremely dangerous and at times underpaid job!

delderek
06-05-2017, 21:13
Yes, we have seen these work boats coming in and out, but not so common a occurrence recently, the only fish that we have seen in large quantities is from the tuna boats.

It's certainly a worrying factor if what you have said about antibiotics, when most of the worlds health authorities are trying to limit its usage.

As for the practice of holding back prime fish, this I think is accepted practice in the fishing industry, it certainly is in all the fishing ports close to where I live and in any other ports in Scotland. A little tax free perk for a extremely dangerous and at times underpaid job!

Antibiotics are used commonly in fish farms worldwide, UK Salmon farms included,

Never heard of that practice, but even so, don't think you could equate that to these "Boat Drivers" that only go 10mins out to sea. Also the strange place these perks are hidden.

Ecky Thump
06-05-2017, 21:27
Antibiotics are used commonly in fish farms worldwide, UK Salmon farms included,

Never heard of that practice, but even so, don't think you could equate that to these "Boat Drivers" that only go 10mins out to sea. Also the strange place these perks are hidden.

I think where the concerns are regarding antibiotics used in general with food production is that it mainly goes uncontrolled.

I had three Great Uncles drowned in a lifeboat along with I think it was four crew members from another vessel in Johnshaven harbour (North Sea) approximately 50 yards from the shoreline. The sea wherever it is, is a very unforgiving environment. :-(

lsmt971
08-05-2017, 13:53
It's nice to know that these farms are more for mainland Spain. It makes for an all round better experience when you know the fish you're eating in a restaurant is locally caught by a local fisherman.

I agree Ecky, the sea is very powerful no matter how far out you are.

Ecky Thump
08-05-2017, 17:05
It's nice to know that these farms are more for mainland Spain. It makes for an all round better experience when you know the fish you're eating on a restaurant is locally by a local fisherman.

I agree Ecky, the sea is very powerful no matter how far out you are.

Apart from the Langoustines and some of the lobster, they are quite possibly caught off the west coast of Scotland by a Scottish fisherman, there are Spanish lorries queuing up waiting for the boats to come in! :D

delderek
08-05-2017, 19:29
Sorry to disagree 59% of fish in the canaries is now farmed, the main exception being Tuna, which is still caught traditionally. And in no way can you call these guys that collect the fish "Fishermen". The boats used are no more than mobile lifting arm cranes, with a large "Hoover" to suck them up. Your comments on Fishermen I agree with, a tough dangerous job. What I cannot agree with is to even try to make a connection between these occupations.

Angusjim
09-05-2017, 17:58
How do they do the ploughing :laugh:

Ecky Thump
09-05-2017, 18:13
How do they do the ploughing :laugh:

With a amphibious tractor!.....El Thicko.:duh: