PDA

View Full Version : Home and Garden what is doing this

helena246
16-05-2017, 14:28
I have noticed small piles of sawdust by the wooden door frame. does anyone know what is causing this.???

Ecky Thump
16-05-2017, 15:32
I have noticed small piles of sawdust by the wooden door frame. does anyone know what is causing this.???

It might be of some help if you state if Is this happening in Tenerife or the UK.

waveydavey
16-05-2017, 15:33
It's a type of woodworm quite common over here.Go to Chafires and ask for a spray.

helena246
16-05-2017, 17:15
It might be of some help if you state if Is this happening in Tenerife or the UK.

I am in Tenerife.

Ecky Thump
16-05-2017, 18:01
I am in Tenerife.

As waveydavey has said, it sounds like woodworm, which is also prevalent in the U.K. and is simple to treat with a chemical treatment.

ashleybroke
17-05-2017, 12:50
What are basically woodworm I have no idea about that

Ecky Thump
17-05-2017, 13:00
What are basically woodworm I have no idea about that

A wood eating lavae that turns into a beetle.

delderek
17-05-2017, 18:48
In my experience they are not woodworm, they are Ants, and seem to munch on the framing/architrave of wooden doors. A good dosing with Roach spray each day stops them for a long while. With big piles of dead bodies to clear up after each dose.

warbey
17-05-2017, 19:52
As waveydavey has said, it sounds like woodworm, which is also prevalent in the U.K. and is simple to treat with a chemical treatment.

This can develop into a lot of damage if untreated. It's worth checking for these small holes on all wood

especially where it acts as a support......

Ecky Thump
17-05-2017, 20:21
This can develop into a lot of damage if untreated. It's worth checking for these small holes on all wood

especially where it acts as a support......

My house on the West Coast of Scotland suffered from it in the loft areas about twenty years ago and was successfully treated by Rentakill, what surprised me was when I was told that there are very few older houses where the timber had seasoned in a natural method (not pressure treated) that didn't have woodworm in various degrees.

.....Pitch Pine evidently is one of the Beetle of the Woodworm Larvae's favourite woods to infest.

Both cainaries and Santiago in the past had woodworm problems.

Cleaning Tips from my nextdoor neighbour [Archive] - Tenerife ...
www.tenerifeforum.org › index.php
3 Jan 2012 - 30 posts - ‎16 authors
Well, it might kill the woodworm but I'm a bit worried about what it might do to us! Definitely no ...

fixer
18-05-2017, 00:07
Had it in my apartment door i replaced it.

Ecky Thump
18-05-2017, 09:27
Had it in my apartment door i replaced it.

Good grief, that's a bit drastic....replacing your apartment because of a few holes in a door!!

And I thought you were another tight fisted 'Jock' :D
:scotland:

willowlily
18-05-2017, 18:07

Hi Helena I have read through all the posts on your thread and remembered watching a program on tv saying that some insects are not interested in the actual wood but get some sort of natural high on the varnish, if there are piles of sawdust it could be the epoxy resin in the varnish these critters are interested in.

helena246
19-05-2017, 14:19
Hi Helena I have read through all the posts on your thread and remembered watching a program on tv saying that some insects are not interested in the actual wood but get some sort of natural high on the varnish, if there are piles of sawdust it could be the epoxy resin in the varnish these critters are interested in.

When I first read your post I laughed I thought you were just trying to put a smile on our faces, but you could have a point whilst checking the new batch of sawdust this afternoon it was just wood there seemed to be no bits of varnish. These critters appear to be having a good time. " not for long though " I will spray tomorrow as I will be out most of the day so as not to inhale what I am sure is not a pleasant chemical.