PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Car Hire

GavOTBD
29-05-2017, 17:15
Hi I am Arriving in Tenerife on the 17th of July for a week and would like to know who is best company to use for car hire if I was to sort it before i leave,I Just don't want to pay for a car and then it not be there.

delderek
29-05-2017, 18:43
Autoriesen or the sister company Orcar. Not the newest cars, but always good value.

Liftman
29-05-2017, 22:18
I would agree completely with #delderek.
Autoriesen is simply the best value, and do not and will not cheat you with bogus insurance or inflated fuel costs.

fixer
29-05-2017, 23:59
And me always use Autoriesen

tfs1
30-05-2017, 08:54
And me always use Autoriesen

When I did need to hire a car in Tenerife I always used Autoreisen. As has been said not the newest cars but good value and no nasty added extras when you pick your car up at the airport. Return the car with the same level of petrol as when you picked it up. Pretty fast process at the Autoreisen desk at the airport.

Suggest you stay away from Goldcar. They normally have low headline rentals costs to attract you to book but then screw you for extras that they will force on you when you arrive at the airport. A ruthless money grabbing company imho.

Goldcar had a advisor/director called Alex Cruz, he now heads BA, enough said.

BobMac
30-05-2017, 11:51
As stated above, has to be Autoriesen. Book in advance and when you land, you can sort out the paperwork while you wait for your luggage as they have a desk in the baggage hall.

fissshface
30-05-2017, 18:10
Deffo autoreisen.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

DaveK
04-06-2017, 00:24
Hi I am Arriving in Tenerife on the 17th of July for a week and would like to know who is best company to use for car hire if I was to sort it before i leave,I Just don't want to pay for a car and then it not be there.

I am a fan of Auto Reisen over twenty years. As others have said, it's the best. Don't worry about the odd dent or scratch when you collect the car. It's fully covered by insurance and they never try to sell you extras. Bring it back with another dent (it happens in parking lots) and they wonder why you mentioned it. A trick at their busy airport desk is to beat the queue by walking around to the other side of their office where there won't be more than one lor two. (Probably will be now I've given away my cunning plan).
A/Reisen don't take payment until you collect the car. Book online to get a confirmation reference. The prices alter all the time so keep checking the website. If it goes down make a fresh booking and comment that it replaces the original. I'm here with a Seat Ibiza for 29 days. The confirmed price was €340. A week before travel I checked and it was down to €215. About £45 a week. Cheaper than renting two bikes. It's a quiet time at present, unlikely to be that cheap again. Don't know if you've driven here before so be aware that in Playa de las Americas they don't issue parking tickets just bring the low loader and take 'em to the pound, by the Sports Stadium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richj
05-06-2017, 10:06
Ok all you autoriesen sales agents. Have you considered Pluscar?? Always good value and you collect and drop off in the car park. All insurance added as per autoriesen. Any problems they have an office in las chaferis. Might be worth a price check before you book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK
05-06-2017, 10:26
Ok all you autoriesen sales agents. Have you considered Pluscar?? Always good value and you collect and drop off in the car park. All insurance added as per autoriesen. Any problems they have an office in las chaferis. Might be worth a price check before you book.

I gave up on car rental companies without an office at the airport. Waiting around for car to be delivered, or crowded into a minibus to be taken to a dusty car park twenty minutes up the hill isn't a good start to a holiday.
Just checked PlusCar prices and they are competitive but reviews on Trip Adviser don't encourage confidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richj
05-06-2017, 10:30
Thanks for your point. I have used Plus car about 6 times now and the whole process is slick. One thing us frequent hirers would agree on is DON'T use Gold car!

robbyw
06-06-2017, 08:15
I'm here with a Seat Ibiza for 29 days. The confirmed price was €340. A week before travel I checked and it was down to €215. About £45 a week. Cheaper than renting two bikes. It's a quiet time at present, unlikely to be that cheap again.

€215 is a great price.
I've never bothered with car hire in Tenerife, but have considered it many times. I normally visit in peak winter months and prices obviously a lot dearer! Same with accommodation.
I've always wanted to spread a two week trip over a few resorts (up north), tour a little bit and then settle down south.
June may be a month to consider? Sadly, not this June though!
I'll keep an eye on the prices for next March and see how they ebb and flow between now and then.
Current weekly rates for June are very good though.

DaveK
06-06-2017, 10:53
€215 is a great price.
I've never bothered with car hire in Tenerife, but have considered it many times. I normally visit in peak winter months and prices obviously a lot dearer! Same with accommodation.
I've always wanted to spread a two week trip over a few resorts (up north), tour a little bit and then settle down south.
June may be a month to consider? Sadly, not this June though!
I'll keep an eye on the prices for next March and see how they ebb and flow between now and then.
Current weekly rates for June are very good though.

If we are there for just a couple of weeks I rent a car for three days at the beginning and three at the end. Pick up at airport and drop at their office at Royal Gardens or Puerto Colon. Last three days pick up there and drop at airport. Saves at least fifty euros on airport taxis. Rest of the time use buses or walk. I pay between £250 and (expensive) £300 a week for decent self catering accommodation. HomeAway, Owners Direct are good sites. At present we are in La Estrella, two minutes from promenade at Los Cristianos. €1,250 for 29 days.
Booked through Lighthouse Real Estate, by the harbour at Los Cristianos. Italian guy, Matteo Antinozzi. Usually have to reject his first offering for something better.

Ecky Thump
06-06-2017, 11:23
There are a few of these Real Estate companies in LosCristianos that offer good accommodation, we now use Alfredo Real Estate www.alfredorealestate.com Alfredo offers many apartments for rental in Los Cristianos, the price starts at about €200 per week, he will happily show you them and let you have your choice of apartment, this May we stayed at the Don Diago apartments, which overlook the harbour and the cost for a month was €800. For next year we have chosen the Don Antonio apartments at the same cost. Both these apartments are one bedroom, but for a slightly higher cost, he has two bedroom apartments.

If you haven't hired a car, they will meet you at the airport and take you to your chosen apartment and return to the airport.

delderek
06-06-2017, 15:37
There are a few of these Real Estate companies in LosCristianos that offer good accommodation, we now use Alfredo Real Estate www.alfredorealestate.com Alfredo offers many apartments for rental in Los Cristianos, the price starts at about €200 per week, he will happily show you them and let you have your choice of apartment, this May we stayed at the Don Diago apartments, which overlook the harbour and the cost for a month was €800. For next year we have chosen the Don Antonio apartments at the same cost. Both these apartments are one bedroom, but for a slightly higher cost, he has two bedroom apartments.

If you haven't hired a car, they will meet you at the airport and take you to your chosen apartment and return to the airport.

Are these not Residential? and therefore illegal tourist lets.

Ecky Thump
06-06-2017, 17:43
Are these not Residential? and therefore illegal tourist lets.

I think your right, but he does issue a lease of some description with each individual let in the name of the apartment owner.

After speaking to him, he is under the impression that NOT one single local Spanish person has been issued with a fine of any description (or maybe hasn't paid a fine! ), whether he is correct or not, then I have no idea, but he has been running a long established letting and sales business. :dontknow:

DaveK
06-06-2017, 18:00
From what I've read local Spanish are not harassed by this law. They save that for the British owners.

Ecky Thump
06-06-2017, 18:09
From what I've read local Spanish are not harassed by this law. They save that for the British owners.

From what I can gleam from speaking to local people, then I think your correct, also there are lots of local rental agencies who are openly advertising their holiday lettings.

delderek
06-06-2017, 19:21
I think your right, but he does issue a lease of some description with each individual let in the name of the apartment owner.

After speaking to him, he is under the impression that NOT one single local Spanish person has been issued with a fine of any description (or maybe hasn't paid a fine! ), whether he is correct or not, then I have no idea, but he has been running a long established letting and sales business. :dontknow:

And somehow that complex seems to be closely associated with the Reveron hotel, as I believe that's where the wifi comes from, and some say you can use their pool.

Ecky Thump
06-06-2017, 19:34
And somehow that complex seems to be closely associated with the Reveron hotel, as I believe that's where the wifi comes from, and some say you can use their pool.

It sounds very much like there is 'sub letting' in progress. Oh the wonders of the LOCAL Spanish system! :D

Del, do you mean the wifi from the Reveron is fed to the Don Antonio? as the balcony of the Don Diago apartment that we rented was right opposite the Don Antonio and I couldn't pick up any signal from there, I had to rely on the Linaris for internet connnection. ???

delderek
06-06-2017, 20:36
I believe that was the case last year. May well have changed now. As heard have their own broadband feed.

DaveK
06-06-2017, 23:24
Apologies for going off topic from the car rental thread but I have to mention I solved the wifi problem at La Estrella. Mentioned to my Asian friend at Bazaar Gala that I only had Spanish tv (dire), and no Internet at the apartment. He produced a router for rental at €75 a month. It gets wifi through the cell phone system as it has a built in SIM card. Plugged it in, entered it's password on my iPad and connected to the web in seconds. Running at 15Mbs.
To get UK tv I signed up to 'my expat tv' for the month. £5. Good enough watching on the iPad but herself wanted the pictures on the big telly so splashed out another €45 for Apple iPad/hdmi cable.
BBC1 and BBC2 work fine, ITV is intermittent, keeps telling me I cannot receive programmes out of UK, even though it's
through a VPN.
I suppose if I had a smartphone I could connect to the web through that. Probably cost me more than €75 in data download charges though.
I went with my expat tv after paying £12.89 for supposed connection with FilmOnTV, which never worked. Bank is raising disputed transaction with them so reimbursement due soon.

PaulCourt
10-06-2017, 12:25
You need to be careful booking through owners direct, there are illegal let's done through that site, the key aspects of which is you are not insured in the property you are staying in.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

He's wrong, a lot of people have been fined! With a lot more to come!!

Ecky Thump
10-06-2017, 17:59
You need to be careful booking through owners direct, there are illegal let's done through that site, the key aspects of which is you are not insured in the property you are staying in.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

He's wrong, a lot of people have been fined! With a lot more to come!!

Evidently the renter is breaking no laws, it's only the the person who has let out the apartment.
I'm not sure what you mean by not being insured, do you mean theft or personal injury, if that is the case according to my holiday insurers (Aviva) then I'm covered for these eventualities. ???

Yes, lots of fines issued, but from what I have been told by local owners and agents, no one is paying them and no inspectors have been seen for months.

delderek
10-06-2017, 18:44
Evidently the renter is breaking no laws, it's only the the person who has let out the apartment.
I'm not sure what you mean by not being insured, do you mean theft or personal injury, if that is the case according to my holiday insurers (Aviva) then I'm covered for these eventualities. ???

Yes, lots of fines issued, but from what I have been told by local owners and agents, no one is paying them and no inspectors have been seen for months.

Think you may have been misinformed Ecky. Fines were reduced on appeal to around 13000.00 euros, and most have been paid. Insurance, just check the very very small print, licenced accommodation is often stated. But like all insurance, you won't know till a claim arises. Been recently watching Sun Sea and A&E, and the amount of insurance companies that won't give permission for treatment in private hospitals is frightening.

Ecky Thump
10-06-2017, 19:00
Think you may have been misinformed Ecky. Fines were reduced on appeal to around 13000.00 euros, and most have been paid. Insurance, just check the very very small print, licenced accommodation is often stated. But like all insurance, you won't know till a claim arises. Been recently watching Sun Sea and A&E, and the amount of insurance companies that won't give permission for treatment in private hospitals is frightening.

I'll go along with the insurance statement, as insurance companies are always looking for a 'out' on payments, but as far as inspections for illegal letting go, then I stand firm, as I have spoken to lots of agents and owners and they have not been subject or heard of recent inspections.
As you say there are many on going appeals taking place and I know personally of three owners who are involved in that process, very much like our own income UK tax appeals, they can go on for years, mine certainly have, thank goodness, or it would be the end of my island holidays.....unless Parkhurst on the Isle of Wight constitutes a holiday camp! :D

PaulCourt
11-06-2017, 03:19
Travel insurance is issued on certain terms and conditions, one of which is that the premises you are staying in are licensed as fit for purpose. In Tenerife, if you rent an illegally let house/villa or apartment in a residential complex, and an incident occurs on the premises, your insurance is null and void. The individuals illegally renting properties fail to advise their customers of this.

Ecky Thump
11-06-2017, 06:22
Travel insurance is issued on certain terms and conditions, one of which is that the premises you are staying in are licensed as fit for purpose. In Tenerife, if you rent an illegally let house/villa or apartment in a residential complex, and an incident occurs on the premises, your insurance is null and void. The individuals illegally renting properties fail to advise their customers of this.

Paul, can you give us a link (or the name of a particular insurance company) to this information on holiday insurarace as I can't find it on my policy with Aviva, neither in any clause about hotels or private agreement of rental of apartment or B&B accommodation. it would certainly help us all to clarify this if you can do this for us, not only in Tenerife, but anywhere else we chose to stay on future holidays. :idea:

PaulCourt
11-06-2017, 17:29
Ok, there is no paragraph as such, but a very good friend of mine in the industry advises it goes like this - each property accommodating a tourist is legally required have landlords insurance, so that in the event of an incident on site (and that can be anything from slipping on steps, injury caused directly by faulty appliances or state of property) the tourist puts in a claim to their insurance company who investigate and recoup what they payout to you from the landlords insurance company. Only a property licensed to accommodate tourists can actually have the appropriate landlords insurance, if during the investigation ( and they're pretty thorough) the insurance company establishes you have been staying in an illegal let, they cannot recoup their money, and will not pay you.

DaveK
12-06-2017, 07:46
Back to Car Hire.
Seat Ibiza from Auto Reisen. Got a good thump in the rear end by a CItroen Berlingo last week. roundabout at TF1 by the new Cepsa petrol station near Fanabe. I stopped, moved forward, stopped again, he didn't. Took photos, told him he'll be hearing from Auto Reisen. Number plate bent, deep dent in rear panel below boot lid. Completed one of those accident forms that come with rental cars. Reported to Auto Reisen next day. They were'nt bothered at all. Strange thing is that as the days go by the dent is magically repairing itself. Can hardly see the damage. Probably due to the heat and it's been parked in full sun. All plastic rear panel. Went back to the scene to take photos and parked at the Cepsa garage which it turns out is still under construction. There will be some incidents there when it's open. Exit is onto a busy high speed two lane highway above a dip on a blind bend.

bennoa1
15-06-2017, 11:28
I imagine the petrol station would be accessed from the side road (by Rodeo), but if its from the main road I agree it will be an accident hot spot. The brow of the hill stops you seeing more than 10-15m back down the road and that is the slip road off the motorway so vehicles are still going 50-60km/h at that point - I've pulled out the side road a good few times and once you decide to go you need to step on it.

PaulCourt
15-06-2017, 15:27
We collected a car from CICAR at Tenerife South this morning for a 28 day period with option to extend if we wish. We struggled to hire an automatic car, most of the car hire companies have mainly manual cars in their fleets. Autoreisen didn't have any available and Hertz only had 1 at a very high price. But CICAR had an Opel Astra at a reasonable price with full insurance and no excess included in price. I can recommend them

GavOTBD
11-07-2017, 16:13
Cheers for that, me and the wife have both lived on the reef my wife for longer than i did she is pretty familiar with the roads unless they have had loads of changes in the last few years and will make sure not to park longer than should do or where not to.

I don't know if you know anywhere that is good to park near hotel Jacaranda or if they have parking and what the costs are.

Cheers

bennoa1
11-07-2017, 20:55
If you drive up the hill from the island by Jacaranda and there may be some parking up that road (but unlikely) but as you get near the top of the road before the TF1 there is a cut through where you can double back and then about 1/3 way back down the hill there is a road on the right which goes around the back towards La Caleta and generally has some parking at least. otherwise you've got pretty much no hope around there unless you're up with the bin men.