PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife Residents' travel discount information thread

Tinkabel
31-05-2011, 19:59
Can anyone tell me if i'll need the certificado de viaje or if the green residencia will be enough to get the residents discount?

Thanks in advance

ali marshall
31-05-2011, 20:02
Green residence for discount will be fine for your discount but you need valid passport to travel.Make sure you take the green residence paper when you travel(no copys),they will want to see this with your tickets.

Tinkabel
31-05-2011, 20:05
Green residence for discount will be fine for your discount but you need valid passport to travel.Make sure you take the green residence paper when you travel(no copys),they will want to see this with your tickets.

Cheers hunny

Fred Perry
01-06-2011, 10:11
Does anyone know about using residency to gain discount? I understand about the 50% discount but my question is ; with the new residencia`s not having a photo how do they prove who the person is getting on the ferry?

Obviously this would not work for flights but do the ferry companies care that much, as long as they get their money?
In other words can people use other people´s residencia papers to gain the discount?

Chris P. Bacon
01-06-2011, 10:18
As far as I am aware, you still have to produce photo ID

doreen
01-06-2011, 10:18
When I took the ferry over to Gran Canaria, they took a photocopy of my passport for their files, as I collected the ticket, along with a copy of the Green Cert.

Fred Perry
01-06-2011, 10:20
When I took the ferry over to Gran Canaria, they took a photocopy of my passport for their files, as I collected the ticket, along with a copy of the Green Cert.

Okay thanks, did they specifically ask for photo ID/passport from you?

A.P.&.S.S
01-06-2011, 10:22
Does anyone know about using residency to gain discount? I understand about the 50% discount but my question is ; with the new residencia`s not having a photo how do they prove who the person is getting on the ferry?

Obviously this would not work for flights but do the ferry companies care that much, as long as they get their money?
In other words can people use other people´s residencia papers to gain the discount?

Hi Fred

I beleive you have to show an upto date passport aswell to prove that you are who is on the green Residentica paper. They take you N.I.E Number and claim it back. I havent tried it yet but my parents took Fed Olson to La Gomera a few weeks ago and it was easy. They booked on-line saying they had resident discount but could not print their boarding pass, on arrival at the port they had to go to the office with their residentia and passport and their boarding passes were printed there and then.

They are using their discount again this weekend for a Ryanair flight and its a good discount 50% on flight only.

Hope this helps you?!

garlicbread
01-06-2011, 10:36
Hi Fred

I beleive you have to show an upto date passport aswell to prove that you are who is on the green Residentica paper. They take you N.I.E Number and claim it back. I havent tried it yet but my parents took Fed Olson to La Gomera a few weeks ago and it was easy. They booked on-line saying they had resident discount but could not print their boarding pass, on arrival at the port they had to go to the office with their residentia and passport and their boarding passes were printed there and then.

They are using their discount again this weekend for a Ryanair flight and its a good discount 50% on flight only.

Hope this helps you?!

I too have taken the Olsen ferry on two occasions and also a flight to the Peninsular with Ryanair and agree entirely with atlantic

Fred Perry
01-06-2011, 10:37
Hi Fred

Hope this helps you?!

Okay thanks. I know how it works but I am trying to get people that are not residents on a ferry with tickets with resident names on (so they can get 50% discount). If they have to prove who they are with passport that scuppers that idea.
I suppose the ferry companies realise what goes on but they will get their money from the government anyhow.

A.P.&.S.S
01-06-2011, 10:51
Okay thanks. I know how it works but I am trying to get people that are not residents on a ferry with tickets with resident names on (so they can get 50% discount). If they have to prove who they are with passport that scuppers that idea.
I suppose the ferry companies realise what goes on but they will get their money from the government anyhow.

I dont think your plan will work, as you say the Ferry Company will know what goes on!! My parents took 2 friends to La Gonera with them (in same car) the two friends had to pay full price and could print out their boarding pass on line but my parents got the 50% as they had to show their passport.

Fred Perry
01-06-2011, 11:07
Yeah, might just try it and see. If the worst happens just have to pay the extra.

I do remember getting away with it before. A friend of mine (35yrs old) borrowed another friends father´s residencia not realising that he would also get pensioner rates. So on the boarding card it had written 65yrs+. You should have seen the girls face as we boarded!

I also remember pre-9/11 that four lads went to watch CD Tenerife play on the mainland, three were using other people´s residencia so they could get the discount. There was no problem whatsoever. How times have changed.

crazychris
01-06-2011, 13:08
Hi so you just need your residencia paper to get flight discount?

A.P.&.S.S
01-06-2011, 13:11
Hi so you just need your residencia paper to get flight discount?

You will also need a Passport!!!!!:lol: But yeah Residentia gives you 50% of all Spanish flights only, Mainland spain etc etc (no taxes, bagage etc)

ali marshall
01-06-2011, 14:17
Just one thing to take note of and proberly does not apply to many forum members,If you are non european you are not entitled to the resident discount on flights.My partner is non european and we have manage to get discounts on theme parks but with flights no discount.

The first flight we took to fuerteventura he got a discount but when we booked the following year she said we was lucky we got the discount for him,because if they had noticed at the airport he would of had to pay full price,also the travel agent gets a bill for the discount given if the passenger gets away with it.We did not know at the time of booking he was not entitled to it.

Makes me mad as he has 5 years residence here and just been giving future 5 years,he has payed into the system since he has lived here.The travel agents said there has been so many complaints about this that in the future this may change.She used the example of swallows coming over here getting there residence and never paying into the system and getting discounts.

Seems bit unfair really.

crazychris
01-06-2011, 16:28
You will also need a Passport!!!!!:lol: But yeah Residentia gives you 50% of all Spanish flights only, Mainland spain etc etc (no taxes, bagage etc)

Great Thanks for info

bonitatime
01-06-2011, 17:05
Just one thing to take note of and proberly does not apply to many forum members,If you are non european you are not entitled to the resident discount on flights.My partner is non european and we have manage to get discounts on theme parks but with flights no discount.

The first flight we took to fuerteventura he got a discount but when we booked the following year she said we was lucky we got the discount for him,because if they had noticed at the airport he would of had to pay full price,also the travel agent gets a bill for the discount given if the passenger gets away with it.We did not know at the time of booking he was not entitled to it.

Makes me mad as he has 5 years residence here and just been giving future 5 years,he has payed into the system since he has lived here.The travel agents said there has been so many complaints about this that in the future this may change.She used the example of swallows coming over here getting there residence and never paying into the system and getting discounts.

Seems bit unfair really.

I think they would rather give it to no one but European legislation requires that all european nationals are treated the same

ali marshall
06-06-2011, 12:36
I agree,but what is point of being a resident and being treated differently because your non european,especially if you pay into the system for many years.Shouldnt all residents be treated the same as well.Just makes me mad someone can come here for one month of the year pay nothing into the system and getting there residence and discounts and pay nothing into the system.They must think its wrong or they wouldnt be talk of changing it.

tenerifegal
03-07-2011, 13:22
is it best to book online for fred olsen to la gomera or can you do it down at los cristianos, the problem we have is we dont have a printer so wont be able to print the boarding pass off if we book online, any help appreciated, also am i able to take my dog with me for the day?

Anyone know of any secluded beaches that i could take my dog on over there thanks

Leam_Lin
03-07-2011, 13:59
is it best to book online for fred olsen to la gomera or can you do it down at los cristianos, the problem we have is we dont have a printer so wont be able to print the boarding pass off if we book online, any help appreciated, also am i able to take my dog with me for the day?

Anyone know of any secluded beaches that i could take my dog on over there thanks

To print anything off, go to an internet cafe, log in, find what you need to print & it will cost you approx 1euro for the internet & if I remember about 10 cents to print one copy.

bonitatime
03-07-2011, 14:49
Although you can book online residents cant checkin online as someone has to see your residents papers. This can be done at any time. Friends recently checked in in los Cris for a ferry from SC to Las Palmas as they wanted to have this done in advance.

triciaty
21-05-2012, 21:26
I have white certificate of residencia from the ayuntamiento, but no green paper, what is this???

bonitatime
22-05-2012, 08:49
The green paper is the one issued by the national police
The system is due to change again in September

triciaty
22-05-2012, 10:22
Thankyou bonitatime for this info

Davethepubsinger
22-05-2012, 13:58
Some of the english language papers and radio stations are saying that the empardronyento (sorry about the spelling) is also required with residencia and passport. Has anyone encountered this yet?

fonica
22-05-2012, 15:34

THIS IS WHY WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE EVEN MORE DOCUMENTS TO PROVE WE ARE RESIDENTS WHEN WE APPLY FOR TICKETS,TO STOP PEOPLE CHEATING THE SYSTEM.Ryanair now insist on having the travel certificate of empadronamiento + residencia+passport when flying to the mainland.

poker
22-05-2012, 20:51
Just got fresh empadros to be sure i can have the discount when we go this summer to mainland.
The empdros still have a note at the bottem that they are not valid for travel discount?
Anyway have them if they ask .
Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

DeeD
22-05-2012, 22:12
We flew to Gran Canaria at the beginning of this month. When we asked at the Cultural Centre for the empadronamiento for travel, we were told we did not need it and got the ordinary one. No one sked to see it. However, I understand that the law regarding these comes into force in September. Enjoy your holiday!

fonica
22-05-2012, 23:03
Ryanair refused to allow passengers to travel back to Tenerife from Sevilla as they hadn't got their travel certificate from the Ayuntamiento even though they had been allowed to fly from TFS to Sevilla with just their passport and green residencia document. Cost them a fortune to buy a new ticket plus an extra day on their holiday.

Muppet
03-07-2012, 16:09
It always amuses me how many "Brits" think they can travel between the islands or to the mainland and back without a passport. If fact, we are obliged by law to carry our passports with us at all times and they are required to be valid !!

Other Europeans of course have ID cards which are, sometimes, accepted.

katax
09-07-2012, 15:45
To get the discount you must have your Certificado de Viajes plus your residencia and passport,to get the certificate you go to your town hall, it cost a couple of euros and last for six months!

bonitatime
23-07-2012, 13:20
Not too clear what JamesFly is saying. I can only guess it went through a translator
From September it will be required to have a certificate issued by your town hall. There is a small cost for this but it will only be looked at not kept so could do for several journeys if you travel a lot.

poker
24-07-2012, 08:50
If you travel a lot the viajes paper from municipality is valid 6 months.
Needs to be renewed eatch time it runs out.

KirstyJay
24-07-2012, 17:20
I went to get my travel doc from the Ayuntamiento today, and was informed that as of September 1st, they will no longer be required. Just your NIE will be sufficient.

poker
25-07-2012, 10:47
I went to get my travel doc from the Ayuntamiento today, and was informed that as of September 1st, they will no longer be required. Just your NIE will be sufficient.

Just like now then.
We were chequed by Ryanair few weeks ago and NIE was sufissiant.

bonitatime
27-07-2012, 13:53

Now I am really confused as the papers all say the town hall paper is the only document valid from the 1st of Sept.

poker
27-07-2012, 14:58
Now I am really confused as the papers all say the town hall paper is the only document valid from the 1st of Sept.

The Viajes is a document they are already giving for years but it came a bit in disuse (not askt anymore) as they were asking the NIE more as proof these last few years.
Have no idea why?
The viajes document had/has as validity of 6 months and needs renewing thereafter.

garlicbread
20-08-2012, 16:43
Can anyone on here assist me with making a booking with RYANAIR. I am familair with Ryanair's website but now I want to book a flight from Tenerife to Valencia (in October) and , in doing so , take advantage of the 50% residents discount. Of course I have a certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union (the green residence certificate) and I also have a certificacion de residencia from my local Town Hall. There is a section of the website which asks which document you will produce to prove residency and the number of said document. No matter which friggin number I use i.e. the document number, my NIE number with and without letters it keeps telling me the number is invalid. I don't get mad very often but this is driving me to distraction. Trying to call them on the telephone is worse than getting through to Mars.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Got it sorted in the end. Typed in my NIE number MINUS the initial letter (X) and bingo , it was accepted.

Two out and return tickets TFS to Valencia €119, cheaper than a good night out.

gazza
11-09-2012, 13:05
My wife has just returned from a trip to Madrid, flew with Ryanair and WAS checked both ways for her certificado de viaje

henry
11-09-2012, 21:16
you know i´m really confused and this and that is doing my head in. i might need to take a whole box of aspain to get rid of this.

this past friday newspaper of tenerife news on page 6. it said you can get travel certificates online where??? i try america online,yahoo,google,and i keep getting info on how to book a trip it dosn´t said how i can get one. does anyone know how to get one?

poker
12-09-2012, 07:48
For arona here http://www.arona.org/portal/RecursosWeb/DOCUMENTOS/1/3_22880_1.pdf

Sent it on FB messenger also to you Henry.

anniemc
12-09-2012, 17:43
I am really confused now- I posted on another thread regarding what I have to take with me to get an empadronamiento, and didn't get any replies! We are going to Fuerteventura at the end of September and obviously want to get the residents discount. I am confused as to what we need. Our residencias are also in the wrong address, so will we need to get these changed before we can get an empadronamiento? Also we live in san Miguel de Abona, can I get what I need from the office in Las Chafiras?

CeeCee
12-09-2012, 18:09
Ok just been to cultural Centre for new empadronamiento - for travel,had no problem at all.
Documents required Passports,Residencias plus copies of both.We gave our address which they confirmed by computer, paid 3.60 euros for both and received new travel docs valid for 6 months Hope this helps

seanocelt
12-09-2012, 18:17
We did too, no problems. Its when you try and enter the numbers into Ryanair's site that the problems start!! Good luck.

Bay1987
12-09-2012, 20:51
so is it the certificado empadronamiento or the certificado viaje that is required for resident discount or is it both? Am travelling Ryanair soon and want to make sure I get it right

seanocelt
13-09-2012, 02:45
Empadronamiento, a new one with wording that explains it has replaced the certificado de viaje.

anniemc
13-09-2012, 09:22
Thanks for that, as I feared we will have to go and get our residencias updated before we can go and get empadronamientos. But at least I know whats to be done now.
Ok just been to cultural Centre for new empadronamiento - for travel,had no problem at all.
Documents required Passports,Residencias plus copies of both.We gave our address which they confirmed by computer, paid 3.60 euros for both and received new travel docs valid for 6 months Hope this helps

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Now I know that I have to get my residencia changed, can someone please tell me if its really straightforward to do this? What do we take? Presumably, our passports, our current residencias and proof of our address (? rental contract) Anything else? Does it cost anything? I sound like a right dizzy blond but my Spanish is limited so want to make sure we've got everything right.
Thanks for that, as I feared we will have to go and get our residencias updated before we can go and get empadronamientos. But at least I know whats to be done now.

Fred Perry
13-09-2012, 17:49
Well, terrible news today that the Spanish Government are thinking about cancelling all together the resident discount for Canarians.

That would mean all travel cost to mainland would double overnight.
The crisis is making the government look at any way to get money but it would just mean that people will not fly.

KirstyJay
13-09-2012, 20:31
It might also mean less Spanish come to Tenerife for hols... What do they want to do? Keep us all isolated here?

poker
13-09-2012, 21:39
And what would be the infuance on travel between the islands if it was doubble price?
Not good news for Armada or Fred Olsen and Binter.

Fred Perry
14-09-2012, 11:03
It might also mean less Spanish come to Tenerife for hols... What do they want to do? Keep us all isolated here?

What you saying? The Spanish don´t get the discount!!!

Muppet
14-09-2012, 11:22
What you saying? The Spanish don´t get the discount!!!

I'm pretty sure that's correct, and the reason behind the recent requirements for us to get our "permission's for discount" travel docs from town halls - the problem being that, according to the Government, many mainlander's had used false addresses here to register as Canarian Residents so as to get discounts, or those who once were and had moved to the mainland for work were using their old documents to get the discounts - hence the renew every 6 months requirement.

seanocelt
14-09-2012, 12:56
Wow never knew that, part of the Ryanair site info i thought was for Spanish citizens too.

bonitatime
14-09-2012, 14:08
No it was a discount offered to Canarian Baleric and residents from Ceuta and Mellia as they are far from everywhere else

Madelene B
30-10-2012, 20:02
Hello all
I understand that there is new regulation as of Sept 1, concerning flight, feryy etc discounts. If I have understood it correctly NIE and Empadronamiento is necessary. I have read on ryanair.com that they will request this documentation upon "check-in".
Does "air europa" apply the same rules?
Is it possible to get Empadronmiento if I own an apartment in Tenerife but I don't live there?:confused:

KirstyJay
30-10-2012, 23:51
Hello all
I understand that there is new regulation as of Sept 1, concerning flight, feryy etc discounts. If I have understood it correctly NIE and Empadronamiento is necessary. I have read on ryanair.com that they will request this documentation upon "check-in".
Does "air europa" apply the same rules?
Is it possible to get Empadronmiento if I own an apartment in Tenerife but I don't live there?:confused:
I've merged your thread with an existing one that already covers this topic.

tramsb
02-12-2012, 10:16
Can I do this using recidencia or do I need to take further proof ie utility bills ?

tfs_longlets
02-12-2012, 13:26
It should all be here

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?435-Tenerife-Residents-travel-discount-information-thread

good luck

KirstyJay
02-12-2012, 18:29
It should all be here

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?435-Tenerife-Residents-travel-discount-information-thread

good luckThread merged. You can read through the earlier posts for the information you require. :)

henry
08-12-2012, 17:51
i planiing for go back to texas for vaction sometime next year like maybe in april i goi go to my town hall but what do i ask for certificado para viaje or empadronamiento certificado?

poker
09-12-2012, 05:22
Its the Vaje Henry , buts its of no use to get reduction to Texas as its ony gets you reducions for flights in Spain .

Even if you book from Tenerife and fly first to Madrid then change to other airpiane to Texas with same company ( Iberia ) there is no reduction for the Tenerife-Madrid part as they only count you the total ticket price .

Only If you would book first to Madrid and then speratly from Madrid to Texas can you use the Viaje on the Ten-Mad route .
But then you are not insured of to the connecting route by them, so if you miss it you loose youre connecting flight , no rebooking free or overnigt hotel payed by Iberia to take youre flight again the next day .

Marian
14-02-2013, 00:46
I understand that you can get the certificate de viajes online from Adeje council. Can anyone help me with the link to Adeje council please

junglejim
15-02-2013, 01:47
I understand that you can get the certificate de viajes online from Adeje council. Can anyone help me with the link to Adeje council please
You need an electronic certificate to apply for this I believe - look here
https://www.ayuntamientodeadeje.es/siac/ProcedimientoTabs.aspx?tab=1&idProc=35&idnct=833&x=xIM71nq8M+JLeZDLpTgNAQ

Marian
15-02-2013, 09:49
Thank you. The web site appears to be down. Will keep trying.

TenerifeTeddy
04-06-2013, 15:53
We went to the Adeje Ayuntamiento today to get our Certificado de Viaje as we are going to visit our friends in Menorca.

We took all our documentation and copies along expecting a long wait at 11am. We couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised.

We went to the machine and pressed the button for Certificado de Viaje, and 2 minutes later it was our turn.
I asked the lady at the desk for Certificado de Viaje and she asked to see our passports and Residencia, looked us up on the system, asked if we wanted it for just the Canaries or also the Peninsular. we said Peninsular. €3.80 for 2 certificates, job done from arriving to departing in just over 5 minutes, Brilliant. :). I would also like to say that the staff were very friendly and helpful. Well done! :jumping:

missSJ
09-11-2013, 20:42
I have heard that non residents now get a discount on flights, does anyone know about this?

Steve-Tap
26-02-2014, 17:30
Hi I have been trying to book two flights to the main land with Iberia but every time I enter my partners NIE or the number on her residencia it gets declined by the site and won't let me proceed Does anyone have a solution to this problem its driving me mad.

Many thanks

Steve

cressrt
26-02-2014, 20:33
You need to ensure you are registered with the Ayuntamiento and that this is still current, with some you have to renew periodically. On the site you enter the NIE, I have just tried the Iberia site and it works OK for me. Each person needs their own current residencia.

jandy
27-04-2014, 14:16
Totally agree with you, we went on Tuesday and had a very similar experience as you. I must say we were pleasantly surprised, by how quick and easy it all was, unlike our other form filling experiences like registering at the Dr. residencia. etc.

DaveCull
29-08-2014, 12:33
Any updates on the current situation? We live in Silencio, so can the Certificado de Viaje be issued in the Cultural building in Las Galletas?
Thanks for any help.

vove
07-04-2016, 15:17
To get the discount on flights and cruises for residents:

1. Go to the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento) appropriate for your location.
2. Add yourself to the census (padrón), you will need a rent contract.
3. Now you wait till they process it- from instant to few days, depends where you do it. If you have registered in the municipal network (Sede Electrónica) you will be able to download the certificate via internet. If not once they process your padrón you have to go to the town hall again and ask for the certificate to travel around (you will need a copy of your padrón from the same building).
4. If you still haven't done it it's generally good idea to go to the police station and register yourself in the registrar of foreigners in order to receive a NIE document (not needed to get get the travel discount but still very useful).

Once issued the certificate entitles you to get a discount for any flight/cruise between islands and to/from peninsula, so if you still haven't seen much of Spain it is very cheap way to travel back and forth. Once issued the certificate is valid during 6 months period.

Keep in mind it doesn't cover direct flights/cruises to different countries and flights between cities in peninsula.

DaveCull
06-04-2018, 13:21
To get the discount on flights and cruises for residents:

1. Go to the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento) appropriate for your location.
2. Add yourself to the census (padrón), you will need a rent contract.
3. Now you wait till they process it- from instant to few days, depends where you do it. If you have registered in the municipal network (Sede Electrónica) you will be able to download the certificate via internet. If not once they process your padrón you have to go to the town hall again and ask for the certificate to travel around (you will need a copy of your padrón from the same building).
4. If you still haven't done it it's generally good idea to go to the police station and register yourself in the registrar of foreigners in order to receive a NIE document (not needed to get get the travel discount but still very useful).

Once issued the certificate entitles you to get a discount for any flight/cruise between islands and to/from peninsula, so if you still haven't seen much of Spain it is very cheap way to travel back and forth. Once issued the certificate is valid during 6 months period.

Keep in mind it doesn't cover direct flights/cruises to different countries and flights between cities in peninsula.

Are things still the same today? Also, anyone know if the cultural centre in Las Galletas is open yet?
Many thamks

AndyG
06-04-2018, 13:27
We moved here in Nov 2015 and flew to Madrid in May 2016 with Iberia. The residents discount was applied online at the time of booking the flights and we did not have to take any paperwork to the airport apart from our passports and flight tickets.