PDA

View Full Version : Other Management company for an apartment

HelenB
10-07-2017, 15:30
Hi there. I'm in the process of buying an investment property in las Américas (almost at the end of the process) and looking for a good management company. Does anyone has an experience? The apartment is on the complex and has 'in house' management if needed but I prefer to explore all options. Anyone?

junglejim
10-07-2017, 15:48
Depending on which complex you are in , you may be forced to use the in house management company if you wish to rent legally !
Get a large bag of popcorn and search The illegal letting thread on here !

lynno52
10-07-2017, 16:11
For a shortened version - visit J A N E T A N S C O M E's website[ - no spaces between letters when you search for her ]

BobMac
10-07-2017, 17:30
Hi there. I'm in the process of buying an investment property in las Américas (almost at the end of the process) and looking for a good management company. Does anyone has an experience? The apartment is on the complex and has 'in house' management if needed but I prefer to explore all options. Anyone?

At the simplest level, if the in-house agent is responsible for more than 50% of the properties and it's a touristic complex, you are actually breaking the law if you try to let the property without using the in-house agent.

junglejim
11-07-2017, 01:31
At an even simpler level, get your solicitor/estate agent handling the sale to explain the letting laws to you , preferably in writing, then you can sue him !

phillip
11-07-2017, 08:48

If you are looking to short term (holiday) let then your only option is to use the sole agent on your complex and accept whatever deal they are offering - you cannot legally use any other option unless you choose to offer residential lets of over three months. Unfortunately you may not have been aware of this but be warned that the fines for non compliance start at 18000 euros!

Helen23
11-07-2017, 19:36
Hi my neighbour runs a property management business as well as being an estate agent, I think she has around 30 properties on her books at the moment which she manages and having just checked with her she would be happy to take on another property in Las Americas. If you can private message me with your details and details of what kind of service you are looking for and I can put you in touch.

BobMac
12-07-2017, 07:46
Hi my neighbour runs a property management business as well as being an estate agent, I think she has around 30 properties on her books at the moment which she manages and having just checked with her she would be happy to take on another property in Las Americas. If you can private message me with your details and details of what kind of service you are looking for and I can put you in touch.

Which part of "It's illegal to holiday let without using the onsite agent if the complex is touristic" do you NOT understand??

If your friend is an estate agent, they are actually operating illegally by offering holiday lets unless they are based in a complex which is classed as Touristic, all their holiday let properties are in that complex AND they are managing more than 50% off the total number of properties on that complex.

phillip
12-07-2017, 11:43
Which part of "It's illegal to holiday let without using the onsite agent if the complex is touristic" do you NOT understand??

If your friend is an estate agent, they are actually operating illegally by offering holiday lets unless they are based in a complex which is classed as Touristic, all their holiday let properties are in that complex AND they are managing more than 50% off the total number of properties on that complex.

You are absolutely spot on! The problem with all this is that 'Management Companies' are still advertising that they are registered with the Tourist Board (which they probably are) and can let apartments legally - which they can for residential lets of over 12 weeks.
Your post is the definitive answer and if anyone thinks tourismo are not still issuing fines - think again!!

Helen23
12-07-2017, 12:25

Wow, thanks BobMac, first time I've posted to this site in months, quite harsh reply to my comment given neither Helen B or myself mentioned anything about holiday lets, simply that she was purchasing a property as an investment.

I don't think there is an issue, part of my neighbours business is managing residential buildings, usually whole blocks of flats, either occupied by owners or people renting long term 12 months+. Not holiday / tourist lets! HelenB did not specify that her investment was intended as a holiday let, many properties are bought as investments intended as long term lets to residents. I don't know much about letting legalities here in Spain so did not intend to get into a discussion about this but as I'd just been speaking to my neighbour about her business when I saw HelenB's post I thought I'd make the offer of the introduction as my neighbour may be able to help or if not give advice as a professional, based on her knowledge of the industry and maybe steer her away from the wrong decision without her having to pay fees. I was simply offering help, I've asked HelenB to let me have her details and details of her intentions for the property so if she is interested in speaking and it is appropriate 'legal' for my neighbour to help I'm sure it will be fine.

phillip
12-07-2017, 12:40
Wow, thanks BobMac, first time I've posted to this site in months, quite harsh reply to my comment given neither Helen B or myself mentioned anything about holiday lets, simply that she was purchasing a property as an investment.

I don't think there is an issue, part of my neighbours business is managing residential buildings, usually whole blocks of flats, either occupied by owners or people renting long term 12 months+. Not holiday / tourist lets! HelenB did not specify that her investment was intended as a holiday let, many properties are bought as investments intended as long term lets to residents. I don't know much about letting legalities here in Spain so did not intend to get into a discussion about this but as I'd just been speaking to my neighbour about her business when I saw HelenB's post I thought I'd make the offer of the introduction as my neighbour may be able to help or if not give advice as a professional, based on her knowledge of the industry and maybe steer her away from the wrong decision without her having to pay fees. I was simply offering help, I've asked HelenB to let me have her details and details of her intentions for the property so if she is interested in speaking and it is appropriate 'legal' for my neighbour to help I'm sure it will be fine.

Helen, for my part I had no intention to offend you and if my post cast any aspersions on your good intentions - I apologise. I maybe wrongly assumed that the original poster was unaware of the difficulties in short term renting as they mentioned an onsite agent.

BobMac
12-07-2017, 13:00

You are absolutely spot on! The problem with all this is that 'Management Companies' are still advertising that they are registered with the Tourist Board (which they probably are) and can let apartments legally - which they can for residential lets of over 12 weeks.
Your post is the definitive answer and if anyone thinks tourismo are not still issuing fines - think again!!

Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh but like Phillip, I was only making sure that you got the point that letting out a property in Tenerife is a minefield. A lot of people have been badly burned as a result of advice from lawyers and estate agents regarding letting property - the fines cane start at 18000 euros. There's a whole thread on the forum about it - if you get bored some time, grab a case of wine (it's a long thread) and have a read of it.

I would recommend that Helen gets advice from a lawyer and an estate agent in writing on headed paper regarding the exact legal position of letting properties in Tenerife including potential pitfalls.

Helen23
12-07-2017, 13:28
Thank you for the apology, I was replying to HelenB's direct question asking for options, and not intending to get involved in the side discussions posted about legalities. I took offence at your tone and use of bold and capital type. I'm not used to being spoken to like that by a anyone let alone a stranger on a forum. As I understand it the use of writing in bold and capital type is not allowed on this forum, perhaps this is why, you may not have intended to cause offence but it came across in a very harsh and rude way. Your points were clear without bold/ capitals and although not really directly relevant to her query. Anyway, useful for her to know these things so I'm sure she will appreciate your comments and I agree she should take advise in writing from a solicitor, thanks again for the apology and if we meet again on the forum I hope its on better terms. Have a good day.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Lets put it behind us, no issue and no offence taken from you Phillip, it was the tone and use of capitals and bold which I found unneeded in the other comment. Anyway, apologies accepted from both of you and not important now. It may well be that Helen intends the property as a holiday let so the advice you both offer is important and I'm sure will be appreciated. Have a good day all.

BobMac
12-07-2017, 13:42

Thank you for the apology, I was replying to HelenB's direct question asking for options, and not intending to get involved in the side discussions posted about legalities. I took offence at your tone and use of bold and capital type. I'm not used to being spoken to like that by a anyone let alone a stranger on a forum. As I understand it the use of writing in bold and capital type is not allowed on this forum, perhaps this is why, you may not have intended to cause offence but it came across in a very harsh and rude way. Your points were clear without bold/ capitals and although not really directly relevant to her query. Anyway, useful for her to know these things so I'm sure she will appreciate your comments and I agree she should take advise in writing from a solicitor, thanks again for the apology and if we meet again on the forum I hope its on better terms. Have a good day.

If you had been involved in the "Illegal Letting" (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?23-The-Tenerife-illegal-lettings-thread) thread on this forum, you would probably understand the tone of the responses to Helen's query - more than 9000 posts over 916 pages and it got very personal at times.

Helen23
13-07-2017, 14:16
Wow, I see now how much of an issue it is. Pays to find a good solicitor / lawyer.

junglejim
14-07-2017, 03:51
Wow, I see now how much of an issue it is. Pays to find a good solicitor / lawyer.

Hence my original comment
"Get a large bag of popcorn and search The Illegal Letting Thread on here !"
If you find a good lawyer , please post it on here !