PDA

View Full Version : Help!

liz.thorpe
11-07-2017, 11:08
I know that the subject of moving to tenerife has been exhausted on this forum but I have a few burning questions.
So me and my partner are adament on moving to tenerife next year but i want to be realistic about it. I know that it will be difficult but its really a risk that we're willing to take in order to live out our dreams of living on the island.
So here are my questions:

1) Since we've chose to rent a property over there, how much money would we have to take in order to make a good shot of setting up there (factoring in expenses such as all set up costs)

2) What would be the best time of year to attempt the move?

I have more but these are questions i am dying to know.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

AndyG
11-07-2017, 12:45
I can only really relate our experience but it may be of some use to you.
We relocated permanently in November 2015 and had contacted an English speaking estate agent in advance. In fact, we then met him in April 2015 when we were on holiday and stayed in touch via whatsapp. The second property that he offered to us sounded perfect and he sent many pictures and answered all of our questions promptly. We were given an initial six month contract ( in Spanish of course!) and that gave us the flexibility of moving if it turned out not to be suitable . We had to pay one months rent in advance plus one months refundable deposit up front. This particular agent does not charge a finders fee but the amount we pay monthly includes an amount that the agent retains before passing on the balance to the owner. We had to start paying for the property in mid September even though we were not flying out until November but we are sure that the apartment would have been rented by someone else if we had not started paying in September. Our monthly rental amount includes wifi/internet and the apartment is fully furnished to a high standard and has recently been modernised with a new kitchen and bathroom etc. Most long term rental properties are furnished out here I understand but the fittings may not be to your taste so until you find somewhere, you will not know how much you might need to spend but the only major expenditure we had was a new TV although the existing one was perfectly adequate to be honest.
In my village, Playa de San Juan, quite a few rental properties are being advertised now ( I watch on milanuncios.com just out of interest!) as many rentals get taken up starting in Autumn.
We have had 2 new contracts since the initial contract and have no plans to move as we totally love the apartment and our village. The bills for electric and water remain in the owners name and they pay when they are received and then hand them to our agent. When we see our agent each month to pay the rent, if they have bills they hand them to us and we pay them in cash. Usually, water and electric costs about €50 per month for us and we pay them every 2 months usually.
I hope this information is of some use! One thing that would be important to consider is learning some basic Spanish before you move out here. If you expect to work here, finding suitable jobs is likely to be very difficult and speaking Spanish would definitely be a benefit in my experience.

liz.thorpe
11-07-2017, 12:59
I can only really relate our experience but it may be of some use to you.
We relocated permanently in November 2015 and had contacted an English speaking estate agent in advance. In fact, we then met him in April 2015 when we were on holiday and stayed in touch via whatsapp. The second property that he offered to us sounded perfect and he sent many pictures and answered all of our questions promptly. We were given an initial six month contract ( in Spanish of course!) and that gave us the flexibility of moving if it turned out not to be suitable . We had to pay one months rent in advance plus one months refundable deposit up front. This particular agent does not charge a finders fee but the amount we pay monthly includes an amount that the agent retains before passing on the balance to the owner. We had to start paying for the property in mid September even though we were not flying out until November but we are sure that the apartment would have been rented by someone else if we had not started paying in September. Our monthly rental amount includes wifi/internet and the apartment is fully furnished to a high standard and has recently been modernised with a new kitchen and bathroom etc. Most long term rental properties are furnished out here I understand but the fittings may not be to your taste so until you find somewhere, you will not know how much you might need to spend but the only major expenditure we had was a new TV although the existing one was perfectly adequate to be honest.
In my village, Playa de San Juan, quite a few rental properties are being advertised now ( I watch on milanuncios.com just out of interest!) as many rentals get taken up starting in Autumn.
We have had 2 new contracts since the initial contract and have no plans to move as we totally love the apartment and our village. The bills for electric and water remain in the owners name and they pay when they are received and then hand them to our agent. When we see our agent each month to pay the rent, if they have bills they hand them to us and we pay them in cash. Usually, water and electric costs about €50 per month for us and we pay them every 2 months usually.
I hope this information is of some use! One thing that would be important to consider is learning some basic Spanish before you move out here. If you expect to work here, finding suitable jobs is likely to be very difficult and speaking Spanish would definitely be a benefit in my experience.
Thank you so much.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk