PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Rental Eviction rules

Tenerife lover
11-08-2017, 10:39
Hello all,
I hope someone can give me some advise, I have been renting an apartment for over 10 years, never missed payment, looked after the apartment, maintained and replaced furniture and appliances as they have worn out all at my expense . We signed only one contact 10yrs ago.
The owners family have decided they want to sell, and said they want me out by 1st October.
I really don't want to move, they have just emailed me, what sort of notice should they give me what rights do I have,
Thanks in advance.

junglejim
12-08-2017, 08:57
Try asking on the J A N E T AN SC OM BE SITE (not allowed links here) she can advise you better - a lot will depend on your contract but I don't believe they can sell without giving you right of occupancy .
You need proper legal advice !
quote from JA site
"

Hi Janet, as a long term tenant what rights would I have if the owner decided to sell the property that I have been renting over the past few years?
Heidi
17 June 2017

As it says above, your contract must be observed … an owner can give you notice but only if the intention is that s/he is going to live in the property. Otherwise, the property must be sold with you as a sitting tenant and your contract must be honoured by the new owner.
Janet
17 June 2017
Permalink "

Tenerife lover
12-08-2017, 09:28
Thank you, I am sure the owners will not be coming back to Tenerife,due to age and health reasons, they had always said we could stay as long as I wanted. But it their son who has started to email me and have had no contact from them direct.

willowlily
12-08-2017, 09:32
Try asking on the J A N E T AN SC OM BE SITE (not allowed links here) she can advise you better - a lot will depend on your contract but I don't believe they can sell without giving you right of occupancy .
You need proper legal advice !
quote from JA site
"

Hi Janet, as a long term tenant what rights would I have if the owner decided to sell the property that I have been renting over the past few years?
Heidi
17 June 2017

As it says above, your contract must be observed … an owner can give you notice but only if the intention is that s/he is going to live in the property. Otherwise, the property must be sold with you as a sitting tenant and your contract must be honoured by the new owner.
Janet
17 June 2017
Permalink "

Wow Janet you never fail, this site would be greatly enriched with people like you. people who know you and your website would not bother to come on here to ask questions of this nature.

junglejim
12-08-2017, 09:33
It will depend on contract (should be in Spanish ) but you really need to see a lawyer !
Hope you have kept receipts for everything you bought !