PDA

View Full Version : The general price of food in Tenerife compared with the UK.

Pages : 1 [2]

Albatros
30-06-2013, 20:15
Most things might be more expensive here but for me Tenerife has a much better lifestyle..........Hence why so many of us live here.

Subjective. It depends where in the UK and what lifestyle you are seeking. A lifestyle where you can holiday in various places including snow covered slopes may suit some folk.

Your final comment regarding how many stay there. Using that logic The UK wins hands down. :whistle:

I like Tenerife but it isn't my paradise by a mile.

warbey
30-06-2013, 20:39
We Holidayed in Lanzarote this Year and each Supermarket Shop We did, I estimated more thyan the Total to Pay.

We form Our Eating habits early in Life, and not being able to get a Sliced Loaf can be a downside.

Food must be Imported into the Island, as the Sheer Numbers to be fed, surely can't be managed from

local resources. So Import = added cost.

The super weather has a downside, Food deteriorates more quickly so quality dips.

Before Pricing how much, surely eating what's available Locally ( as Canarians do) will

cost less.

A few Bottles of Wine a Week will soon balance the Budget..............

imablue
30-06-2013, 22:24
We don,t have a problem with it ...we buy the food and eat it ...
pretty much the same as we did in the UK ..as for Bananas ..well ...
the Paraguayas are lovely this time of year ...:yum:

YOUNG GOLFER
30-06-2013, 23:24
Subjective. It depends where in the UK and what lifestyle you are seeking. A lifestyle where you can holiday in various places including snow covered slopes may suit some folk.

Your final comment regarding how many stay there. Using that logic The UK wins hands down. :whistle:

I like Tenerife but it isn't my paradise by a mile.
That's great ........we all have our own ideas of paradise and yours might not be Tenerife .....mine is, like many others on this forum. But going back to the subject on the price of food in Tenerife compared to the UK there are places to shop here if you know where to go that can save you money on your weekly bill.

cheery
01-07-2013, 10:34
Complaining about the availability of such things as Jersey Royals (as an example) is the problem. British people have got used to having every product available all year round. If you cook with what is available and improve your cooking skills surely that is better. You will have a much more varied diet and you won't get bored eating the same things. Not many people on here claim that restaurant food is poor and there is plenty of variety in that area isn't there.

Or do people just want to moan about anything which comes to mind. The cemeteries are full of people who would love to taste a bad banana!

primrose
01-07-2013, 11:00
Complaining about the availability of such things as Jersey Royals (as an example) is the problem. British people have got used to having every product available all year round. If you cook with what is available and improve your cooking skills surely that is better. You will have a much more varied diet and you won't get bored eating the same things. Not many people on here claim that restaurant food is poor and there is plenty of variety in that area isn't there.

Or do people just want to moan about anything which comes to mind. The cemeteries are full of people who would love to taste a bad banana!

This thread is about the price of food compared to the UK, but as usual you get the same people time after time telling you how wonderful life is every time anybody dares to criticise anything about Tenerife. Cherry I don't need cooking lessons to improve my cooking skills I have a City & Guilds in that but I do like to buy the best ingredients.Surely we can have a Thread just once without the You're not allowed to say anything bad about Tenerife brigade butting in.As for people in the Cemetery who would love to taste a bad Banana well they can have mine.Nobody complained about the none availability of Jersey Royals Sharon gave that as an example in reply to a post about the variety of Potatoes you get get here compared to England.

Tarw
01-07-2013, 13:05
My thought exactly, i have bought my own place here in Tenerife and love it here just wish i could spend more time here, but that as soon as you say something bad about how expensive it has become over the last few years people get so upset but when people stop coming because they can get better value in other places as my children have then a lot of people will eventually lose out. I have just returned to the UK and noticed "in my opinion" how much quietr the eating places were compared to last year. Maybe im wrong but its what i see, makes no difference to me i will still come reguardless of what i think are more expensive every day essentials because i love it here. As the title says "The general price of food in Tenerife compared with the UK" not price of living as some seem to refer to. As for cheaper prices and where to get them if you know where, the holiday maker does not have access to these places they just see what is available outside their door and that is what is important to keep them coming back at the end of the day.
This thread is about the price of food compared to the UK, but as usual you get the same people time after time telling you how wonderful life is is every time anybody dares to criticise anything about Tenerife. Cherry I don't need cooking lessons to improve my cooking skills I have a City & Guilds in that but I do like to buy the best ingredients.Surely we can have a Thread just once without the You're not allowed to say anything bad about Tenerife brigade butting in.As for people in the Cemetery who would love to taste a bad Banana well they can have mine.Nobody complained about the availability of Jersey Royals Sharon gave that as an example in reply to a post about the variety of Potatoes you get get here compared to England.

Tom & Sharon
01-07-2013, 13:26
This thread is about the price of food compared to the UK, but as usual you get the same people time after time telling you how wonderful life is is every time anybody dares to criticise anything about Tenerife. Cherry I don't need cooking lessons to improve my cooking skills I have a City & Guilds in that but I do like to buy the best ingredients.Surely we can have a Thread just once without the You're not allowed to say anything bad about Tenerife brigade butting in.As for people in the Cemetery who would love to taste a bad Banana well they can have mine.Nobody complained about the availability of Jersey Royals Sharon gave that as an example in reply to a post about the variety of Potatoes you get get here compared to England.

Thanks Primrose, there's certainly nothing wrong with my cooking skills either!

Like you say, the thread is about the price of food in Tenerife compared to UK. As I said in my reply, I find prices of meat and veg much of a muchness. The price of wine in Tenerife is a bonus of course, but that's only if you want to drink Spanish wine all the time. The minute you want a change, and look for French, Australian, Californian or Chilean, then you're back to UK prices just the same, and the availability issue.

It's the availability of products which I find to be annoying. The bananas are a good example, and cabbages are another. The best local produce gets shipped to the UK and the dregs are left for the local market. In M&S, Sainsburies, Asda, Tesco you can buy the most beautiful Spanish cabbages. Try buying one in Tenerife though!

Anyone who thinks the fresh produce in Tenerife is even slightly comparable to the UK has spent too long on the island. That's not a gripe about Tenerife, it's just the truth!

Malteser Monkey
01-07-2013, 13:41
Been here 9 years and as I have said many times I have yet to find a good Banana.I still get my Emails 3 times a week from Aldi and I am amazed at how cheap things are in the UK. Nice to hear from you again dede.

Glad i am not the only one who has never found a good banana in Tenerife. thought it was just me:bowdown:

All this talk of bananas - I could never find swede out there so Family used to bring them out - you can imagine the extra weight.

I used to get main shop from Symel up in Cabo Blanco or Hiper Dino, then Iceland for those UK bits this was in the 90's tho (it's nice for me to reminisce)

I can see on Google that Symel is no longer in Cabo Blanco , do symel still exist

YOUNG GOLFER

YOUNG GOLFER
01-07-2013, 14:40
This thread is about the price of food compared to the UK, but as usual you get the same people time after time telling you how wonderful life is every time anybody dares to criticise anything about Tenerife. Cherry I don't need cooking lessons to improve my cooking skills I have a City & Guilds in that but I do like to buy the best ingredients.Surely we can have a Thread just once without the You're not allowed to say anything bad about Tenerife brigade butting in.As for people in the Cemetery who would love to taste a bad Banana well they can have mine.Nobody complained about the none availability of Jersey Royals Sharon gave that as an example in reply to a post about the variety of Potatoes you get get here compared to England.
You would of course be meaning myself and i will never change sorry primrose....but I believe its being positive making good friends and hard work that has given me and my family the life most could only dream of. Just makes me laugh when something like a banana can lead to people being negative about the island. I tell you what primrose I will take you around one of the biggest farms in Tenerife if you wish the items of veg and fruit are unreal. I don't know a lot about cooking I know you do so let me know and I will arrange a selection goodies for you to take home and try at no charge of course.

Tom & Sharon
01-07-2013, 15:22
You would of course be meaning myself and i will never change sorry primrose....but I believe its being positive making good friends and hard work that has given me and my family the life most could only dream of. Just makes me laugh when something like a banana can lead to people being negative about the island. I tell you what primrose I will take you around one of the biggest farms in Tenerife if you wish the items of veg and fruit are unreal. I don't know a lot about cooking I know you do so let me know and I will arrange a selection goodies for you to take home and try at no charge of course.

Well can you ask him to get a stall at the farmers market then?

It doesn't mean we don't love Tenerife because we think the potatoes and cabbages are garbage. They are, and believe me, I know my cabbages lol! It's not their fault they can't grow them, they can't, the earth's too poor. I also understand the need to protect local farmers, hence the lack of imports. Knowing all that though doesn't stop me wishing Mercadona was like M&S food hall.

The thread is about the price of food, it's me that started whinging about availability.

I would gladly pay more for decent stuff, it's just not there.

Good fresh meat is almost identical in price to the UK, with the exception of corn fed chickens. They are much more expensive in Tenerife. They are gorgeous though, so who cares?

Fresh pork I find to be on the whole better than the UK and the same price.

The one other thing they exel at are bunched carrots. Found in the farmers market, they are beautiful. Not the crappy ones you get in Mercadona!

primrose
01-07-2013, 15:25

YG I have no problem with you being positive but please just let people express an opinion whether it's good or bad without turning every thread into a negative positive post, its not a competition about who has a better life, what is a fantastic life to you might not be to somebody else, and if Tenerife is so perfect then there is no need to post on every thread about how good it is, if people want to discuss the price difference between UK and Tenerife, let them, it's their right without being put down every time they post a negative comment about the Island.Last week I had to go in Hospiten Sur for a Cataract Operation and having read some of the comments on here I was dubious about going in there, my experience could not have been more different than some of the other posters, they were fantastic with me and I have to go in again to have the other done but this time without the doubt I had last time, but no way would I say the other posters were wrong, that was their experience and I would not like to have gone through what they went through.Oh and we weren't being negative about a Banana we were discussing the price of food and that was just a comment dede made, nobody was being negative about the Island because of a Banana it was turned into that by other people.

Me and you going on a date round a Farm? what are we having for lunch Banana Butties.:banana:

YOUNG GOLFER
01-07-2013, 15:37
Well can you ask him to get a stall at the farmers market then?

It doesn't mean we don't love Tenerife because we think the potatoes and cabbages are garbage. They are, and believe me, I know my cabbages lol! It's not their fault they can't grow them, they can't, the earth's too poor. I also understand the need to protect local farmers, hence the lack of imports. Knowing all that though doesn't stop me wishing Mercadona was like M&S food hall.

The thread is about the price of food, it's me that started whinging about availability.

I would gladly pay more for decent stuff, it's just not there.

Good fresh meat is almost identical in price to the UK, with the exception of corn fed chickens. They are much more expensive in Tenerife. They are gorgeous though, so who cares?

Fresh pork I find to be on the whole better than the UK and the same price.

The one other thing they excel at are bunched carrots. Found in the farmers market, they are beautiful. Not the crappy ones you get in Mercadona!

Well it's funny you saying that I went to see this guy last week with our friend (you know the one) and have to say think our friend brought up the subject of markets etc but I can't remember what he said I was more interested in the livestock stroking the horses cows etc. But I do remember seeing some great lettuce and cabbage and different ones too lol.

Tom & Sharon
01-07-2013, 15:50
Well it's funny you saying that I went to see this guy last week with our friend (you know the one) and have to say think our friend brought up the subject of markets etc but I can't remember what he said I was more interested in the livestock stroking the horses cows etc. But I do remember seeing some great lettuce and cabbage and different ones too lol.

Well tell our friend he can bring the veg next time he wants a Sunday roast cooking, and I'll see what the verdict is. I'll be able to tell, cos he normally eats about 3 plates full! :lol:

Tickey
01-07-2013, 17:19
I'm confused as to whether this is a thread for residents or holiday makers?

Tom & Sharon
01-07-2013, 17:24
I'm confused as to whether this is a thread for residents or holiday makers?

Well it's for everyone presumably, although it's probably fair to say that residents buy different things to holidaymakers.

cheery
01-07-2013, 17:50
No-one is too good at anything that they can't improve. My son is a Chef de Partie for a 2 Michelin starred chef and he is still striving to improve. It's all about adapting and being versatile with what is available. If you can't get a particular product of the quality you require swap the item if the menu will allow or cook something different.

The name isn't cherry by the way!

primrose
01-07-2013, 17:57
No-one is too good at anything that they can't improve. My son is a Chef de Partie for a 2 Michelin starred chef and he is still striving to improve. It's all about adapting and being versatile with what is available. If you can't get a particular product of the quality you require swap the item if the menu will allow or cook something different.

The name isn't cherry by the way!

Well bully for him,but my family actually like what I cook for them so why would I change and I really don't know what you are on about.Thought this was about the price of food.

Tickey
01-07-2013, 18:09
Surely before people come to live here they research the quality of bananas and the price of groceries? If they don't want the extra €30 on their grocery bill (which they would more than save on their heating bill) then they should think again about coming!

As for the holiday makers most eat out a lot of the time and the prices are good anyhow...

This is such a "non" thread :doh:

slodgedad
01-07-2013, 18:18
Surely before people come to live here they research the quality of bananas and the price of groceries? If they don't want the extra €30 on their grocery bill (which they would more than save on their heating bill) then they should think again about coming!

As for the holiday makers most eat out a lot of the time and the prices are good anyhow...

This is such a "non" thread :doh:
Wouldn't be if people stayed on topic.

Tickey
01-07-2013, 18:29

Sorry I thought I was on topic :D

Tom & Sharon
01-07-2013, 20:19

Well I was trying to stay on topic, but somebody keeps telling me I can't cook!

Can I summarise?

1. Fresh food ie. meat and veg is basically the same price as it is in the UK.

2. Wine and beer is generally cheaper.

3. The wide availability of fresh ingredients we are used to in the UK is far less.

4. It's all subjective. If your personal food bill is £200 a week in the UK, it will be £200 a week in Tenerife.

5. The good bananas are to be found near the milk in Mercadona :lol:

slodgedad
02-07-2013, 00:33
Well I was trying to stay on topic, but somebody keeps telling me I can't cook!

Can I summarise?

1. Fresh food ie. meat and veg is basically the same price as it is in the UK.

2. Wine and beer is generally cheaper.

3. The wide availability of fresh ingredients we are used to in the UK is far less.

4. It's all subjective. If your personal food bill is £200 a week in the UK, it will be £200 a week in Tenerife.

Agreed, apart from point 5. they are 2 aisles away. :tiphat:

cheery
02-07-2013, 07:37
Nowhere have I said people can't cook. I said people can improve if they can't find the ingredients they want and become more versatile. It is a cost thing when the better products cost more so swap an item or change the menu.

If restaurants can provide food that we all like then try something new, after all they will be getting a lot of their produce from on the island. Why cook chicken casserole, pork steaks or roast beef if you aren't happy with the raw materials. As YG said, he knows places where fruit and veg are excellent so take him up on his offer.

junglejim
02-07-2013, 08:03
Agreed, apart from point 5. they are 2 aisles away. :tiphat:

It depends on which Mercadona - in SanEugenio CC it's more like 5 isles from the milk and the majority of their Bananas are already ripe on the shelf , so don't last !

Malteser Monkey
02-07-2013, 08:55

Love it !

Ahhh this will never leave us and now neither will bananas

Hope I'm on topic Slodgie:bowdown:

warbey
02-07-2013, 20:28
If Someone had the Skills, a Smallholding or even Allotments would

improve the Choice of Foods somewhat. It might even make money.?

I agree, most of the Discussion is subjective....