PDA

View Full Version : The general price of food in Tenerife compared with the UK.

Pages : [1] 2

dede
24-06-2011, 13:19
As a spin off from the thread "whats the price of a meal in tenerife" i thought i would start this thread rather than hijack that one, I have to say i have just spent a week in the uk and i could see a big difference in the price of food in general. I personaly think food is so much cheaper now in the uk than here in tenerife. My sister done a big shop in asda and it came to 85 pounds and the basket was full to the brim, i go to mercadona and i can easily spend 100 euros and dont have half as much!! Even here in tenerife iceland has gone so much cheaper aswell but like has been said before, the bread is expensive but i only buy spanish bread now anyway, but lots of things cheap now, worth a look...

Chivas Regal
24-06-2011, 14:15
My Tesco Trolley got filled the other day for only 40 quid! MInd you it was 6 crates of beer!!! :)

wahay
24-06-2011, 14:55
i think mercasona has gone really expensive, i had nowt in my trolly as such and it was 75 euros robbing bleeders

Tarw
24-06-2011, 17:06
Exactly the point i was trying to make on the other thread but people out there seem to keep saying "no its not cheaper in the UK or you have to pay for shipping" or you wern't moaning when it was 1.47 for a pound the reality is it has not been that for a very long time that is why people are looking further afield. Then they say how quiet it is and that people are not spending like they use to, i think its because they are looking for better value for money and tenerife is not as cheap as it used to be in comparison to a few years ago and being the biggest market for holiday makers to Tenerife UK tourists are not finding the falue for their pound. I went to a place in Swansea for for yesterday called Peachy Keens just google it and see what you get for £7 compared to the same £7 quid in Tenerife No contest me thinks.
i think mercasona has gone really expensive, i had nowt in my trolly as such and it was 75 euros robbing bleeders

edsa
24-06-2011, 17:12
I live in Spain and visited Tenerife a couple of months ago. Comparing prices in Mercadona, some things, like eggs were a lot dearer, bread a few cents dearer but a lot of other things I usually buy on a weekly basis were the same price.
However, compared to UK, even with the € being worth a lot less than it was even a couple of years ago, I still spend between €45 and €55 a week on shopping. That often includes beers and other drinks which never went in my basket in the uk.
This is for two of us and although I budget we eat an adequate diet, nothing fancy, just basic foods. Some from English shops some from Spanish.

Tarw
25-06-2011, 08:40
Just shows how expensive Spain has become since its height when people could get a cheap holiday and spend very little compared to what it would cost in the Uk thats why it was such a popular destination and now people are travelling further afield looking for that value for money deal. I honestly wish that it was cheaper and more popular and people did spend but i call a spade a spade and my personal opinion is its damn expensive now in Tenerife and the cheap SC package has gone and i mean The SC package not the ones where you book a SC but eat out all time if you are fortunate enough to be able to afford that but a lot of people are not and those are the ones who I am talking about, and i have 3 children with their own family in this position.

tonypub
25-06-2011, 09:01
3 course meal 7-95e.all you can eat chinky buffet 5-95e.indian all u can eat 15e.an inferior pint 1euro.£20 a day all inc. full english 3e.tenerife is cheap if you want it to be.if youd sooner stay in your apartment and have eggy bread it may cost you a few pence more.

Chivas Regal
25-06-2011, 09:05
I loved going to Spain when it was the peseta! 250 to the pound and most meals were around 800 pesetas, then the euro comes in and most meals suddenly become 8 euros! Hell of a difference!
Did the Spanish really get that good an exchange rate to the euro? Did a £250 wage really go from 62500 pesetas to 625 euros? I doubt it!

tonypub
25-06-2011, 09:07
I loved going to Spain when it was the peseta! 250 to the pound and most meals were around 800 pesetas, then the euro comes in and most meals suddenly become 8 euros! Hell of a difference!
Did the Spanish really get that good an exchange rate to the euro? Did a £250 wage really go from 62500 pesetas to 625 euros? I doubt it!oh the good old days

TenerifePool
25-06-2011, 12:05
Did the Spanish really get that good an exchange rate to the euro? Did a £250 wage really go from 62500 pesetas to 625 euros? I doubt it!

The peseta to euro exchange factor is 166.386 pesetas to the euro.

An exchange rate of 250 pesetas to the pound equates to 1.50€ to the pound.

The real problem when people buying in pounds compare prices is that we are suffering from such a poor exchange rate.

onelegnofeet
25-06-2011, 12:54

The same thing happened in the UK ..........£-s-d to decimal ,things that cost 5d suddenly became 5p,which was a difference of 7 d
Did the Spannish get that good an exchange rate ,NO,did The UK ,No .........but like the Spannish we had no option

Tarw
25-06-2011, 15:11
Exactly what im saying AI is the best deal for people now because SC is more expensive and it shouldnt be to catter for yourself has always been the cheap option which enabled a lot of people to take a holiday rather than a week in UK but not no more. Where is the 5.95 chinky all the ones i know in the torviscas area are around the 7.25e. if thats what you call cheap well i got no more to say than check out Peachy Keens and see what you get in the UK for the same money and thats what i mean for value for money but go ahead and put your head back in the sand just look what has happened to Benidorm where they are suffering big time because their price hikes. Spoke to a fried this morning who has just come back from there and the bars are empty apart from a chosen few. I feel Tenerife going the same way because the bars are looking quite empty over the last 2 months that ive been there.
3 course meal 7-95e.all you can eat chinky buffet 5-95e.indian all u can eat 15e.an inferior pint 1euro.£20 a day all inc. full english 3e.tenerife is cheap if you want it to be.if youd sooner stay in your apartment and have eggy bread it may cost you a few pence more.

tonypub
25-06-2011, 15:42
Exactly what im saying AI is the best deal for people now because SC is more expensive and it shouldnt be to catter for yourself has always been the cheap option which enabled a lot of people to take a holiday rather than a week in UK but not no more. Where is the 5.95 chinky all the ones i know in the torviscas area are around the 7.25e. if thats what you call cheap well i got no more to say than check out Peachy Keens and see what you get in the UK for the same money and thats what i mean for value for money but go ahead and put your head back in the sand just look what has happened to Benidorm where they are suffering big time because their price hikes. Spoke to a fried this morning who has just come back from there and the bars are empty apart from a chosen few. I feel Tenerife going the same way because the bars are looking quite empty over the last 2 months that ive been there.peachy keens,yes great value but newport and swansea?hardly tenerife is it?go to any place with an unemployment problem and it will be cheaper. how many times a week do you go there?if you travel up the mountain a lil you can eat for next to nothing.i holidayed in the uk 3 years ago with my daughter at skegvegas butlins,never again.cost a fortune,spent a fortune and the air was full of the smell of vinegar n chip fat.not even startin on the sh it weather.have you been in my pub?

Chris P. Bacon
25-06-2011, 15:56
I fail to see why anyone feels the need to compare the price of groceries here to the UK :confused:

This is here and that is there, so blady what? We live here because we want to not because bread, milk or butter may or may not be any cheaper in the uk!

I take it Tarw is holidaying in Swansea this year :whistle:

Tarw
25-06-2011, 16:06
LMFAO take your eye away from the ball and it will be gone for good, dont think so dont know where it is I use mostly three bars alex bar and rum pot for a quiet afternoon drink and eugenes for a good night out, and you picked the scabiest place on earth to holiday in the uk and wast the point of this about value for money on the food, great quality as you say i think outstanding quality you should try it next time your over. BTW i love Tenerife and will be back again in a couple of weeks Im just calling a spade a spade just giving a little ifo to people who want to read it sorry if it offends but that what i think, all my daughter needed was air fair and spending money the apartment was free but it was Cheaper to go AI to Turkey and that is what thousands more like her are looking for sorry but thats the fact. You didnt mention where the 5.95 Chinese was either maybe ill pop in and try both next time im out.
peachy keens,yes great value but newport and swansea?hardly tenerife is it?go to any place with an unemployment problem and it will be cheaper. how many times a week do you go there?if you travel up the mountain a lil you can eat for next to nothing.i holidayed in the uk 3 years ago with my daughter at skegvegas butlins,never again.cost a fortune,spent a fortune and the air was full of the smell of vinegar n chip fat.not even startin on the sh it weather.have you been in my pub?

Suej
25-06-2011, 16:09
I fail to see why anyone feels the need to compare the price of groceries here to the UK :confused:

This is here and that is there, so blady what? We live here because we want to not because bread, milk or butter may or may not be any cheaper in the uk!

I know what you mean Crispy and this topic comes up all the time with friends of mine in the UK they are all under the impression that food is really cheap here and it just isn´t!???

Tarw
25-06-2011, 16:19
It was a comparison as to why the figures of tourist may be down but some get very defensive towards truth and to the Holiday in Swansea the answer is yes i will well just a little west of there anyway which is where we are going in about 2 Hours. and will also be visiting another fine eatery in Taybarns. and the beaches are superb like Pendine and the air is fresh and clear weather maybe lousy but im sure it will be very enjoyable. :whistle:

Chris P. Bacon
25-06-2011, 16:20
I know what you mean Crispy and this topic comes up all the time with friends of mine in the UK they are all under the impression that food is really cheap here and it just isn´t!???

Yes Suej, but once you live here you shop around don't you? Where else could you buy 8 litres of water for 60c? all in all it's cheaper to live here if you take everything else into consideration. We are certainly not planning on going to live in the UK to save a bit on groceries :eyebrows:

Suej
25-06-2011, 16:26
Yes Suej, but once you live here you shop around don't you? Where else could you buy 8 litres of water for 60c? all in all it's cheaper to live here if you take everything else into consideration. We are certainly not planning on going to live in the UK to save a bit on groceries :eyebrows:

Yep! tbh Crispy we don´t even bother to shop around much as far as food goes! when there´s only two of you it´s really not necessary. The only thing I do shop around for is the Dentibits for my cat and Ariel Liquid both usually cheaper in Carrefour.;) just can´t eat the Spanish sliced Bread so buy that in Iceland.

mike in chayofa
25-06-2011, 16:36
Yep! tbh Crispy we don´t even bother to shop around much as far as food goes! when there´s only two of you it´s really not necessary.

I have 'gone back in time' regarding some of my shopping :)

A new fruit, veg and meat shop recently opened in La Camella, called La Carnecería (appropriate). Fantastic produce and most of it sourced locally and really fresh. You can buy as much or as little as you want. The butcher is friendly and helpful and the meat is wonderful.

On the subject of eating out. Yesterday we had a huge tuna salad, empañada, sausage in tomato sauce, curried chicken, bread, two bottles of water and coffees ... total cost 10€

Goforgold
25-06-2011, 16:48

On the subject of eating out. Yesterday we had a huge tuna salad, empañada, sausage in tomato sauce, curried chicken, bread, two bottles of water and coffees ... total cost 10€

Where was that M of C ?

Added after 2 minutes:

You're right CrisP - If our Pensions won't stretch when the time comes, to living in the UK and long term winter sun, we'll be out there for sure. No heating, great bus service and cheap rentals. :)

Harmonicaman
25-06-2011, 17:48

A new fruit, veg and meat shop recently opened in La Camella, called La Carnecería (appropriate). Fantastic produce and most of it sourced locally and really fresh. You can buy as much or as little as you want. The butcher is friendly and helpful and the meat is wonderful.

Scandalous Mike! I take it you won't be going back there again in a hurry!:lol:

mike in chayofa
25-06-2011, 18:56

Where was that M of C ?

Corner bar/restaurant in the Valdes Centre, Los Cristianos by the entrance to INEM. Same stretch as Rubens music shop. Opposite Ofipapel.

Spur of the moment thing and very nice it was too

Suej
25-06-2011, 19:07
Corner bar/restaurant in the Valdes Centre, Los Cristianos by the entrance to INEM. Same stretch as Rubens music shop. Opposite Ofipapel.

Is that the little bar down the steps? next door to a Chinese Todo?

Goforgold
25-06-2011, 19:10

Thanks Mike. Is the Valdes Centre where La Salud is just around the corner? Or is that the next centre down?

onelegnofeet
25-06-2011, 19:25
Uk Petrol (here as other regions vary ) £1.39.9 per lt
Gas only for heating ( and i'm tight ) £1800 over the year
Water rates (shower no bath ,garden watered from water butt,only 2 of us so not loads of washing ,washing up done by hand no machine ) £800 per year
Bread now £1.30 plus,marg/butter goes up each time you go out ours is bertoli and £1.80 per 500g.
Vat20%,
Just some prices that i would deem as essentails ,now eating out you pay for what you get as in Tenerife for us no difference ,where would i sooner be .....Tenerife .My personel opinion like here you have to shop around ,but not all tourists do as it cuts into there holiday time so they use the nearest supermarket /shop usually with in the Hotel which i'm afraid ARE really expensive .We tend to buy local brands in Tenerife ,whilst many tourists skill want stuff they buy back home which as we know is always more expensive ,
All Inclusive (PINS IN MY EYES FIRST )but i do understand why people with children opt for this board option "Mum can i have a pop ?Mum can i have an icecream etc etc " (some even actually say please) which can be costly BUT living in a resort in the UK if you drink on the holiday camps ,you pay far far more than even in places like The Monkey bar etc etc .Been upto a Haven holiday camp today to see some friends who are over a pint of Carling (which looked rank!) £3.75 ,half pt diet coke £2.76,and a Brivic orange £2.75 not even a sea view and P.ssing it down ,yes the good old uk summer holiday £700 pounds to sit in a caravan 24/7 with prayers being said of a dry day tommorrow so you can dry out your SUMMER KAGOOL and Wellies .
For me i do find Tenerife much the same overall to live with the much added bonus of SUNSHINE!!!

Wifeys just stuck her head over my shoulders and said and believe me she will know ,Zaras clothes in Tenerife are quite a bit cheaper she bought a dress last year in Uk £89 in tenerife 45 euros ( not even reduced or a sale ) not the only thing cheaper in there ,came with a case 15kwent back with 25k after ditching all lotions and potions ,iron ,hair dryer !!!my bag toowent up 7k,and all i bought was an oil bottle !!!

welsh wendy
25-06-2011, 19:41
Uk Petrol (here as other regions vary ) £1.39.9 per lt
Gas only for heating ( and i'm tight ) £1800 over the year
Water rates (shower no bath ,garden watered from water butt,only 2 of us so not loads of washing ,washing up done by hand no machine ) £800 per year
Bread now £1.30 plus,marg/butter goes up each time you go out ours is bertoli and £1.80 per 500g.
Vat20%,
Just some prices that i would deem as essentails ,now eating out you pay for what you get as in Tenerife for us no difference ,where would i sooner be .....Tenerife .My personel opinion like here you have to shop around ,but not all tourists do as it cuts into there holiday time so they use the nearest supermarket /shop usually with in the Hotel which i'm afraid ARE really expensive .We tend to buy local brands in Tenerife ,whilst many tourists skill want stuff they buy back home which as we know is always more expensive ,
All Inclusive (PINS IN MY EYES FIRST )but i do understand why people with children opt for this board option "Mum can i have a pop ?Mum can i have an icecream etc etc " (some even actually say please) which can be costly BUT living in a resort in the UK if you drink on the holiday camps ,you pay far far more than even in places like The Monkey bar etc etc .Been upto a Haven holiday camp today to see some friends who are over a pint of Carling (which looked rank!) £3.75 ,half pt diet coke £2.76,and a Brivic orange £2.75 not even a sea view and P.ssing it down ,yes the good old uk summer holiday £700 pounds to sit in a caravan 24/7 with prayers being said of a dry day tommorrow so you can dry out your SUMMER KAGOOL and Wellies .
For me i do find Tenerife much the same overall to live with the much added bonus of SUNSHINE!!!

Wifeys just stuck her head over my shoulders and said and believe me she will know ,Zaras clothes in Tenerife are quite a bit cheaper she bought a dress last year in Uk £89 in tenerife 45 euros ( not even reduced or a sale ) not the only thing cheaper in there ,came with a case 15kwent back with 25k after ditching all lotions and potions ,iron ,hair dryer !!!my bag toowent up 7k,and all i bought was an oil bottle !!!

I totally agree with you OLNF. If only I could be there for 5 months a year????? Dreamining on til a few years time.:)

mike in chayofa
25-06-2011, 20:13
Thanks Mike. Is the Valdes Centre where La Salud is just around the corner?

That's the one

delderek
25-06-2011, 20:30
As I have spent the last 17 years with 7 months in UK 5 months in Tenerife, In my opinion food in Tenerife is now 20% higher than UK (ignoring eating out), and yes I do use the Mercadona's etc, it used to be 50% cheaper than back home. We all know about other costs being higher in UK, but the thread title is The general price of food in Tenerife compared with the UK..

with cheese
25-06-2011, 20:36
If you are talking like for like you can't, fresh fruit is far better quality, Steak is generally more affordable for a decent cut, Free range Chick cheaper, Tenerife that is. If you want to compare quality to quality, Merca against Waitrose perhaps, not bloody Tesco's crap.

dede
25-06-2011, 20:45
I was talking about the general price of food in the uk not anything in particular just a normal every week shop, and i stand by what i said that it is definatley cheaper in the uk now than here in Tenerife, having said that it dosnt make me see only negatives about tenerife and someone who has a choice to either get on a plane back to the uk or shut up, its my opinion for which i am entitled after living here for 9 years now.

primrose
25-06-2011, 20:51
Common sense really, most of us have committments we can't leave at present. I for one would be there tomorrow if my life allowed, but until next year at the earliest its not possible.

I have enough common sense to know you cannot comment on life in another country as a resident unless you live there, most people that have commented on this thread live in the UK and are responding as holidaymakers and are talking about how much it is to go out for a meal compared to the UK, but residents don't live like that they don't go out for meals everyday they have to go shopping and the price of food has certainly risen, I still get my email from Aldi twice a week and can't believe how much cheaper it is in England.Why do you think a lot of ex-pats shop on the internet-price and choice and how many go back home on shopping trips.This thread is about the price of food, not meals in Bars, the sunshine or or the beach.

Having lived in Tenerife, I wouldn't go so far as to say it is paradise, but I do like winter warmth and sitting outside eating carne con papa and drinking barraquitos along with the other wonderful coffee over there. If, when we retire, we could afford to do 3 to 4 months winter sun and still have the lovely green fields, trees and peace and quiet where we live now, I would be over the moon. :)

Dede why did you bother ?

Goforgold
25-06-2011, 20:57
I

Dede why did you bother ?

??? ??? I was only responding to your post. :) We had already established that it wasn't any cheaper and about on par after taking everything into consideration :)

with cheese
25-06-2011, 20:57
Aldi is very limited to what you get, yes cheap but limited and the veg is crap.
As someone who is going to be a resident for at least 6 months each year, i have asked many friends that live there and done my own research. In the same light If we can't comment on Tenerife prices because we don't live there, you can't comment on UK prices because you don't live here. No contest, thread no point, case dismissed your honour.

karinagal
25-06-2011, 21:04
If I didn´t look at the big picture I wouldn´t be here after 7 years Zara, but I don´t see any harm in the OP´s post. Prices have shot up here and that´s a fact, but be assured I won´t be on any plane out of here anytime soon.:):):) not when I can buy a decent bottle of Vino for under 2€:spin:

The supermarket near our apartment does a lovely carton of wine for 89 cents......! Might not be fit for the wine connoisseurs but properly chilled its perfect for me! ;)

Zara
25-06-2011, 22:36
So next time i put i thread on i will send it to you first for your approval shall I I am entitled to put a thread on here as much as anyone and if you dont like it then dont join in, but dont just get on and say you dont understand the purpose to the thread because thats just your opinion, for your information i think there is a purpose but i could have put money on the posters that dont. Sad really.....

Not sure when the above post was made as I have just found a large number of posts in Off Topic where I expect this one to end up, however I would just like to say to dede, that you jumped the gun and assumed I was referring to you, in fact it was another poster who had brought up the price of milk and bread on a previous thread and then joined in your thread with the same arguments.

The problem with assumptions is that people reply with sarcastic comments as in dede's post above, But dede SARCASM was what you were complaining about from Gfg, with cheese, Oneleg etc. ???

dede
25-06-2011, 22:40
Not sure when the above post was made as I have just found a large number of posts in Off Topic where I expect this one to end up, however I would just like to say to dede, that you jumped the gun and assumed I was referring to you, in fact it was another poster who had brought up the price of milk and bread on a previous thread and then joined in your thread with the same arguments.

The problem with assumptions is that people reply with sarcastic comments as in dede's post above, But dede SARCASM was what you were complaining about from Gfg, with cheese, Oneleg etc. ???

I dont think i jumped the gun Zara as you said you couldnt see the point in this thread ????? simple

with cheese
25-06-2011, 22:51
This thread is like a whores legs, open, shut.

Zara
25-06-2011, 22:56
I dont think i jumped the gun Zara as you said you couldnt see the point in this thread ????? simple

So next time i put i thread on i will send it to you first for your approval shall I

Perhaps I should have also been clearer about the sarcasm (as well as the assumptions) - who will you be sending your threads to for approval

dede
25-06-2011, 23:00
im getting bored now goodnight:hole:

Susief
25-06-2011, 23:35
In my experience (not being resident or a tourist, but being out for 8 weeks in total this year), we tend to shop in Mercadona, odd bits from Iceland and Hiperdino and in the past 12 months things have gone up in price for food in Tenerife, but then you could say that in the UK.

I would much rather be in Tenerife though! The heating is still going on here in the evening!

Angusjim
26-06-2011, 08:41
The supermarket near our apartment does a lovely carton of wine for 89 cents......! Might not be fit for the wine connoisseurs but properly chilled its perfect for me! ;)

Karina typically Scottish, debate about food but you are only intrested in the price of drink I am ashamed of you :ashamed::eyebrows:

Tarw
26-06-2011, 09:36
Weather today in west wales sunny and hot air is fresh and clear food is cheap and as for Swansea not being Tenerife i agree but neither is Tenerife Monaco but the prices are going the same way lol and talkinf of unemployment does not Spain have a huge problem there as well think you need to look again. And like stated in other posts this thread is about the price of food take a look at the posts mine is not the only one saying it is expensive thats why people are chooseinfg to go to other places. I will always come to Tenerife because i love it there but it does not take away the fact that it has gone more expensive for the average shopping basket compared to the UK and it never used to be that way what happened to the so called duty free island where you could go for a cheap holiday thats why i started coming there and i suspect many others as well. Still aint said where this 5.95 chinese is Tony id like to try it been in all the rest around that area some good some not so good. Not sure where your bar is either
peachy keens,yes great value but newport and swansea?hardly tenerife is it?go to any place with an unemployment problem and it will be cheaper. how many times a week do you go there?if you travel up the mountain a lil you can eat for next to nothing.i holidayed in the uk 3 years ago with my daughter at skegvegas butlins,never again.cost a fortune,spent a fortune and the air was full of the smell of vinegar n chip fat.not even startin on the sh it weather.have you been in my pub?

Angusjim
26-06-2011, 09:40
Would a better guide to food prices not relate to average earning in UK & Tenerife in that case I would assume that food in Tenerife is much more expensive ??

onelegnofeet
26-06-2011, 09:47
Put that way AJIM,then yes but if your at the mercy of the goverment here in the UK ,with how pensions and some benifits rates are ,then imo Tenerife still outways Uk in many of its food drink prices .i did say this on an earlier post but it was moved to another place but i dont mind ...............

Suej
26-06-2011, 12:55
Moved from Los Cris up to Chayofa in 2005 when my UK income rate was 1.43€ to the pound, it seemed brilliant then and everything was cheaper for us. Now we find that we´ve had to increase our food shopping budget by over 30%. but beans on toast two or three times a week isn´t so bad ;)

Goforgold
26-06-2011, 17:00
Nothing wrong with beans on toast - when I met OH I had a cupboard full of Weight Watcher beans!! I could never be bothered to cook anything else!! Went to KFC and fish and chip shop when I needed a change!!!

When I lived in Tenerife I could afford to eat out every night and have as many coffees out as I wanted, drank and smoked too!!! :) Good job I'm too old now as couldn't afford it!! :)

Ooops - sorry off topic!! :)

with cheese
26-06-2011, 17:11
Nothing wrong with beans on toast - when I met OH I had a cupboard full of Weight Watcher beans!! I could never be bothered to cook anything else!! Went to KFC and fish and chip shop when I needed a change!!!

When I lived in Tenerife I could afford to eat out every night and have as many coffees out as I wanted, drank and smoked too!!! :) Good job I'm too old now as couldn't afford it!! :)

Ooops - sorry off topic!! :)
Are they Fart Free

Suej
26-06-2011, 17:25
Are they Fart Free

I don´t know about the Weight watches ones Kev, but not the normal kind, we had to tell the neighbours we were having trumpet lessons (without the brass type in sight) do you think that´s why we were so out of tune?!:o:o

dede
26-06-2011, 20:05
Thought id be lazy today so bought a cooked chicken off the spit for 7 euro:eek::eek: 3.50 last week in the uk.... oh well i suppose im going to be told now how lazy i am:whistle::whistle:

Susief
26-06-2011, 20:22
Thought id be lazy today so bought a cooked chicken off the spit for 7 euro:eek::eek: 3.50 last week in the uk.... oh well i suppose im going to be told now how lazy i am:whistle::whistle:

Was it good?

What does it matter if people say it's lazy! Can't beat a spit roast chicken! We sometimes have one from the front at LC! Ummm lovely!

dede
26-06-2011, 20:24
Was it good?

What does it matter if people say it's lazy! Can't beat a spit roast chicken! We sometimes have one from the front at LC! Ummm lovely!

Yes it was very tasty..mmmmmmmmm

Susief
26-06-2011, 20:34
Yes it was very tasty..mmmmmmmmm

That's more important than the price! If it cost you say 20 euro and it was good and tasty that is all that matters!

Sal
26-06-2011, 20:39
After several years of self-catering holidays in Tenerife we are still amazed at how much you can get in a supermercado for not many euros compared to UK.
True - prices have risen on the island, but not as much as in UK. :crazy:

Goforgold
26-06-2011, 20:47

We often buy a cooked chicken - by the time you take into account the cost of cooking the thing..............:)

After several years of self-catering holidays in Tenerife we are still amazed at how much you can get in a supermercado for not many euros compared to UK.
True - prices have risen on the island, but not as much as in UK. :crazy:

??? Have to disagree, unless it's much dearer on the Coast than in the Midlands, which it could be thinking about it.

Tarw
26-06-2011, 20:53
Yes dede but you have to take into account that this is an island and they have to be shipped in :crylaughing:

Sal
26-06-2011, 21:34
??? Have to disagree, unless it's much dearer on the Coast than in the Midlands, which it could be thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

Definitely more expensive to shop on south coast UK than Tenerife. :(

with cheese
26-06-2011, 22:51
Especially if you eat houses.

Sal
26-06-2011, 23:00
Especially if you eat houses.

Don't get me started.......................:censored:

with cheese
26-06-2011, 23:03
Just have a small flat for now, its late, don't want you getting a bit of Indie.

Sal
26-06-2011, 23:08
Just have a small flat for now, its late, don't want you getting a bit of Indie.

We have a small two-bedroom detached bungalow with garage on a small plot. For the value of our place we could buy a nice villa in TF! Property prices? Pffffffffffffttt!

murph
26-06-2011, 23:14
Just shows how expensive Spain has become since its height when people could get a cheap holiday and spend very little compared to what it would cost in the Uk thats why it was such a popular destination and now people are travelling further afield looking for that value for money deal. I honestly wish that it was cheaper and more popular and people did spend but i call a spade a spade and my personal opinion is its damn expensive now in Tenerife and the cheap SC package has gone and i mean The SC package not the ones where you book a SC but eat out all time if you are fortunate enough to be able to afford that but a lot of people are not and those are the ones who I am talking about, and i have 3 children with their own family in this position.

Agree with you here. We used to eat out every night on holiday in Tenerife, but the last two years we have seen a big difference. OK some of this is to do with our own circumstances but in reality it is the prices.

We have taken to shopping locally, but I was advised to go to the specialist shops for food and we enjoy cooking some excellent local produce - it's become a fun part of the holiday.

We later usually go for a dink and have saved fortunes.

with cheese
26-06-2011, 23:17
MY Brother just sold his house, 3 bed in Amberley West Sussex, silly money. We have a one bedroom flat on the seafront our daughter lives in at the moment. Before she moved in we had it valued, just short 200k and it is tiny.

murph
26-06-2011, 23:22

That's all very well if you're Billy no mates! If there's 5 five in the family like us that's 5 x 8 Euro, 5 x 6 Euro, 5 x 15 Euro - times by 14 nights!!! Now that adds up!

DaveRF
26-06-2011, 23:34
That's all very well if you're Billy no mates! If there's 5 five in the family like us that's 5 x 8 Euro, 5 x 6 Euro, 5 x 15 Euro - times by 14 nights!!! Now that adds up!

We worked that out a good few years back when we used to go there on holiday before living there. A cheap breakfast each invariably includes a coffee and maybe a coke or orange juice so €10 minimum for 2 of us which is €140 for the fortnight. It may sound tight but we started bringing decent bacon with us and buying fresh bread each morning. Making hearty bacon butties saved a pretty penny in spending money.

pablo1
26-06-2011, 23:41
You missed a trick there Dave, we used to go into the hotel breakfast buffets each morning, smile sweetly at the security. And help ourselves for nothing.... Now even I can't moan at those prices! :-)

DaveRF
26-06-2011, 23:49
You missed a trick there Dave, we used to go into the hotel breakfast buffets each morning, smile sweetly at the security. And help ourselves for nothing.... Now even I can't moan at those prices! :-)

We knew about that ruse from a good while back as we knew lot's who did exactly that. Being honest I'd rather not eat than do that. Can you imagine getting caught!!!!!

tonypub
26-06-2011, 23:56
That's all very well if you're Billy no mates! If there's 5 five in the family like us that's 5 x 8 Euro, 5 x 6 Euro, 5 x 15 Euro - times by 14 nights!!! Now that adds up!condoms are cheaper in the uk:raspberry:

pablo1
26-06-2011, 23:57
When you're 18 and earning 25 euros a day, sharing a one bed with 3 others, nope, I never once worried about getting caught or being tight. I've put plenty back in to the system since!

Rickiebear
27-06-2011, 06:17
Hi, it is very difficult to compare like for like. Even in the UK prices are rising. In fact supermarkets are reducing the quantity and keeping the price the same!
We visit Tenerife 3 times a year and find we spend less in Tenerife and eat better. However we do avoid UK brands and eat local food.
I can't wait to retire to Tenerife and save some money!!

with cheese
27-06-2011, 06:58
Do people not go on holiday to enjoy eating out, to enjoy having a few more beers than at home and to enjoy going on trips. Sorry but if you know what an area costs and it is out of budget, either get it on budget or save a bit more before going.
Ok I am fortunate to not have to save, but I still don't want to be ripped off, but it hasn't always been this way. I have never moaned about any where I go on holiday being expensive because I go to Budget.
As far as resident living is concerned, You just can't compare as too many differences.
Best on is price on price UK/Tenerife , no comparison as quality so different. Better in Tenerife, eggs, fruit, juice, bread, coffee, most meat and fish. That is all you need to survive healthily.
Oh and sun.
People say about moaners on threads, this is where all those that want to put Tenerife down can, this thread needs closing as a complete off put for all newbies.

dede
27-06-2011, 07:37
Do people not go on holiday to enjoy eating out, to enjoy having a few more beers than at home and to enjoy going on trips. Sorry but if you know what an area costs and it is out of budget, either get it on budget or save a bit more before going.
Ok I am fortunate to not have to save, but I still don't want to be ripped off, but it hasn't always been this way. I have never moaned about any where I go on holiday being expensive because I go to Budget.
As far as resident living is concerned, You just can't compare as too many differences.
Best on is price on price UK/Tenerife , no comparison as quality so different. Better in Tenerife, eggs, fruit, juice, bread, coffee, most meat and fish. That is all you need to survive healthily.
Oh and sun.
People say about moaners on threads, this is where all those that want to put Tenerife down can, this thread needs closing as a complete off put for all newbies.

Its called DEBATE love, who gives you the right to say the thread should be closed?? So the thread that spoke about the poor lady being beheaded should have been closed just incase it happened to a newbie. Stay off the thread if its annoying you, and we are talking about the price of food not holiday makers.

PS Im not putting tenerife down i happily live here and have done for 9 years i am just saying what i think.

Jackie
27-06-2011, 07:51
I have said before that I am a lazy shopper. By that I mean I am not one of these people that go from shop to shop to buy different things and I only go once a month. I may pop into Iceland occasionally to pick up a couple of bits if I am down that way but mainly I go to one supermarket and buy everything I need. I have always felt that our food bill is pretty much the same as it was in the UK, OK somethings maybe a bit more expensive but other things are cheaper so all in all our monthly bill balances itself out.

My husband is still based in the UK so obviously does his food shopping there. He has just gone back to the UK after a visit and we went shopping while he was here and he said the same thing.

Oberon
27-06-2011, 08:13
Isn't everyone missing something obvious here?

Three years or so ago they devalued the pound by about 30% - which means everything is about 30% more expensive in all eurozone countries.
This makes it much cheaper to visit Britain for those of us who live here.

Most holidaymakers from other European countries are fairly happy to enjoy their holiday with the food prices about the same as at home. (the ones I have spoken to --- a Slovenian guy told me the other day that pizzas here cost about the same as in Slovenia)

You will find you can live off about a euro a day if you go to Thailand.

Tarw
27-06-2011, 09:15
Quite right there are cheaper places to go but as the UK is the largest supplier of tourists to the island do you not think it wise to consider them and the value for money they get. I have no intentions of running the place down I love it there as stated before but like dede and many others on this thread find that the prices for Brits have gone way to higher over the last few years when you live there it’s not so visible, but when you return every few weeks like myself it is very visible and when I shop I buy mostly local stuff not uk brands and my shopping is twice what I pay in the UK aint seen any prices to contradict the basics that I stated earlier because some people say things on here to be contradictory but don’t back it up with evidence. Some residents take it as personal attack on them when you say something negative about prices but its only peoples own observations and as I have been told about how expensive Tenerife has become buy friends recently thought I would air my views. Believe it or not people are staying away or not spending you only need to take a walk each night to see empty bars and restaurants no skin of my nose I just spend a couple more euro a week in the supermarket but is people continue to stay away others will be paying more a lot more. And completely disagree with, with cheese comment “Best on is price on price UK/Tenerife, no comparison as quality so different. Better in Tenerife, eggs, fruit, juice, bread, coffee, most meat and fish. That is all you need to survive healthily. I am more than happy with the quality of the items stated when I buy them in the UK and they are also much cheaper to. But also say yes it is nice to go on hols and have a few more beers and to eat out I do this almost every day when I am there on my extended stays as I am a little more fortunate than others, but you still have and are losing the people who are on a shoe string and are looking for the value for money that was available in Tenerife just a short time ago, I mean when you walk into a British bar in the afternoon as a family of 4 and a slice of steak pie and chips is 6 euro or a take away cooked chicken 7 euro then you start to question things don’t you.

Three years or so ago they devalued the pound by about 30% - which means everything is about 30% more expensive in all eurozone countries.

Most holidaymakers from other European countries are fairly happy to enjoy their holiday with the food prices about the same as at home. (the ones I have spoken to --- a Slovenian guy told me the other day that pizzas here cost about the same as in Slovenia)

You will find you can live off about a euro a day if you go to Thailand.

tonypub
27-06-2011, 10:51

You will find you can live off about a euro a day if you go to Thailand.well said obs.since the inception of the euro a pint of amstel in my pub has been 2euro.so 9year ago it would have been £1-25 a pint,today it costs £1-80 but its still 2euro.people cant get there head round the devaluation of the pound.hopefully this simple explanation of a pint of beer will help.

Pooh
27-06-2011, 11:20
I guess I'm off topic, since I can't really compare to the UK, and this is what this thread is about... But if I compare to the countries I've lived in the last few years, our normal full weekly shopping cart cost us about 200-220 Euros when we lived in Sweden. In Cyprus it was 175-200, about.
Here, even though we've had to stock up of things we don't normally buy since we just moved here a month ago, the weekly cart usually stays at 120-130 Euros... that's significantly cheaper, over 30%.
I don't know about food prices in the UK nowadays, since I haven't spent any significant time there since the mid-80's... back then I remember it to be about the same as in Sweden, though.
But comparing to when going to the Canarias for holidays back in the 70's, it's definitely more expensive here now.

tonypub
27-06-2011, 11:23
everything was cheap when the peseta was here,and we was all millionaires:whistle::crylaughing:

Tom & Sharon
27-06-2011, 11:58
I (Sharon) would say that I am a professional shopper. I don't work, and am a full time housewife, split between 2 countries. I spend my whole life cooking, shopping and drinking wine!

This year I have spent January in Tenerife, February in UK, March & half April in Tenerife, half April and May in UK and am now back in Tenerife for the summer. I would say that overall, it is cheaper to live in Tenerife than UK. I don't buy cheap crappy food in either country, I don't really have to budget, but I still don't like to be ripped off, and I like to get value for money, which isn't the same thing as the cheapest. In the UK, I do my shopping in Tesco, Asda and M & S. In Tenerife, I go to Mercadona and Iceland mainly, the Farmers Market for my veg because it's better, and Hiperdino for meat because I can get it cut how I like.

It really depends on what you buy. If you live on fresh meat and fish, fresh vegetables and wine as we do, then I would say it is cheaper here. The fresh produce is only slightly cheaper, but the wine is a lot cheaper, so bringing the overall cost down quite significantly.

If you live on English frozen ready meals from Iceland, frozen chips and English bread etc., then the cost of that is obviously going to be more than buying the identical products in the UK. You can hardly expect Iceland to transport the stuff 2,000 miles for free!

I do buy my household cleaning stuff and toiletries from Iceland, because I prefer to use the products I know, so these do cost me more, but I am aware that I could buy cheaper Spanish products and the option is there if I want it.

As far as eating out is concerned, yes there are 2 for a tenner pubs all over UK, but by the time you've bought your drinks to go with it, it still pushes the bill up, unless you all sit there nursing a bottle of water. If you want a € a pint bar here, they are there. Try going on your holidays to Blackpool and looking for a £ a pint bar. We went away to Plymouth for the weekend a few weeks ago, full of tourists. We went to a restaurant where we had T Bone steaks. They were £20 each, and tasteless. The wine was £18 a bottle. Compare that to El Cordero at Guargacho where the most beautiful, huge T Bone is 15€ and the wine 6€ a litre. No comparison!

We definitely spend a lot less here than in UK. The price of the supermarket food shopping is less, eating out on a like-for-like basis is less, and household running costs are a fraction of what they are in the UK. And it's sunny outside!

with cheese
27-06-2011, 12:22
Dede you are putting people off by the negative nature and this thread should be closed because it is certainly going to make people think should we. Totally correct about currency value, it has changed that ís the uk's doing not tenerife so again if anything is dearer to us it aint to other europeans, be real

Suej
27-06-2011, 12:32
Aww Kev you´re overeacting! it´s simply about food prices, what´s all the fuss about? There was a thread on here not too long ago about crime here I´m sure it won´t be putting people off coming over. The Forum is a place where anything and everything can be dicussed. Someone else might want to start a similar thread but will be put off by certain comments on this one. Doh! it´s going off topic again:o

Spoke too soon just seen the carrier bag thread!:crazy:

tonypub
27-06-2011, 13:47
this thread will go to prove tenerife is value for money compared to most places,its the pounds worthlessness that is making things seem more expensive.bet the uk pound dont go as far in turkey now,its a weak currency due to the uks debt problem.so in brief-tenerife is cheaper if your only currency is the euro,but if you are a pound sterling person it will be more expensive because the pound buys you less euros than ever before.

dede
27-06-2011, 13:50
Dede you are putting people off by the negative nature and this thread should be closed because it is certainly going to make people think should we[/B]. Totally correct about currency value, it has changed that ís the uk's doing not tenerife so again if anything is dearer to us it aint to other europeans, be real[/QUOTE]

If only i had so much influence :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tarw
27-06-2011, 17:21
Take your eye away from the ball guys. dede for president :gun::gun::gun:

primrose
27-06-2011, 18:40
Take your eye away from the ball guys. dede for president :gun::gun::gun:

OMG dede you have been promoted already, Prime Minister at Lunchtime and President already, what next:queen::queen::queen:

with cheese
27-06-2011, 18:43
Look out soppy alert.

sleepy
27-06-2011, 19:11
Well.....I was back in East Sussex a few weeks ago and I concluded without a shadow of doubt that food prices were much much cheaper in all the main stores than here in Tenerife.
The same goes for electronic goods but I'm wandering off topic now :)

Tarw
27-06-2011, 19:44
Added after 2 minutes:

Exactly sleepy what we been saying I put some like for like prices for Tesco and Mercadona up on another thread for a few basics as not everyone drinks wine and eats T-bone ain’t seen them prices beaten yet or even close and the comparison is brit goods for Tesco and Spanish goods for Mercadona so we don’t hear the shipping thing again.
Well.....I was back in East Sussex a few weeks ago and I concluded without a shadow of doubt that food prices were much much cheaper in all the main stores than here in Tenerife.
The same goes for electronic goods but I'm wandering off topic now :)

howard thornton
27-06-2011, 20:05
Oh and sun.

yep a complete waste of time. take it or leave it.

Tom & Sharon
27-06-2011, 21:16
This thread makes me laugh.

When I dare to suggest on the "illegal lettings" thread, that the Canarian Government doesn't want people coming to the island, staying in apartments and not spending any money, I get shouted down. On that thread, I get told that they are eating out every night, taking taxis everywhere, drinking in the bars, and that Tenerife can not survive without them.

On this thread, no-one is going to come to Tenerife again because the eggs are too dear in Mercadona, and a Chinese buffet has gone up to €7.25!

Can you make your minds up please? Which is it?

with cheese
27-06-2011, 23:43
I have had fruit from Merca and it was great and lasted, I have had Chicken from Merca and it was great. I must admit for roughly the same price I have had the same items from Tesco, the fruit and veg lasts for a day maybe 2, it is often speed ripened so has artificial taste. The chickens have very little flavour and the meat is not of good quality, that is a camparison. Makes you laugh, narrow minded.

princessmonika
28-06-2011, 06:47
you get sunshine and a warm climate free

poker
28-06-2011, 09:02
You eat less when its hot. :-)
So definately cheaper in Tenerife.
Lol .

Sent using Tapatalk.

Tarw
28-06-2011, 10:32
Maybe you should buy the fresher stuff and not the yellow sticker stuff and Tenerife is not the only place that has sun dont you realise it rises in other places as well why is that being used all time, all i hear are excuses but no real attempt at addressing it you get the figures from your own tourist board but bury your had in the sand at your peril and people will never stop coming of course they will come but as you can see is getting less and less. 6 euro for steak pie and chips 7 euro for take away chicken yes dirt cheap carry on if thats what you believe
I have had fruit from Merca and it was great and lasted, I have had Chicken from Merca and it was great. I must admit for roughly the same price I have had the same items from Tesco, the fruit and veg lasts for a day maybe 2, it is often speed ripened so has artificial taste. The chickens have very little flavour and the meat is not of good quality, that is a camparison. Makes you laugh, narrow minded.

Tom & Sharon
28-06-2011, 10:51
Maybe you should buy the fresher stuff and not the yellow sticker stuff and Tenerife is not the only place that has sun dont you realise it rises in other places as well why is that being used all time, all i hear are excuses but no real attempt at addressing it you get the figures from your own tourist board but bury your had in the sand at your peril and people will never stop coming of course they will come but as you can see is getting less and less. 6 euro for steak pie and chips 7 euro for take away chicken yes dirt cheap carry on if thats what you believe

But €6 for steak pie and chips is dirt cheap!

If you go to the chippy in UK it's more than £5 for fish, chips and peas, and that's takeaway. How do you expect someone to serve you in a restaurant for less?

Tarw
28-06-2011, 11:28
Its £3.50 and how much is the same fish and chip take away in Tenerife because its 2.50e for the chips alone think you need to look at UK prices again as lots of places like witherspoons and sizzlers are a lot cheaper
But €6 for steak pie and chips is dirt cheap!

If you go to the chippy in UK it's more than £5 for fish, chips and peas, and that's takeaway. How do you expect someone to serve you in a restaurant for less?

Sundowner
28-06-2011, 11:41
I am never going to Tenerife again........just found out 6 eggs are 10c more than U.K. !!!!

Wait a minute that's wrong it's 10p more in U.K. never going there again...........hang on I live there :)

Hang on a minute do I care..................NO !!!!! it is what it is:)

Tom & Sharon
28-06-2011, 11:44
Its £3.50 and how much is the same fish and chip take away in Tenerife because its 2.50e for the chips alone think you need to look at UK prices again as lots of places like witherspoons and sizzlers are a lot cheaper

I don't need to check UK prices, because I am there all the time.

In Warrington/Manchester it is definitely more than £5 for takeaway fish, chips & peas. When we get a Chinese delivered on a Saturday night for 4 people it is £40. The Chinese all you can eat here in comparison is €7.25 and you think it's too expensive.

We were also in your neck of the woods the other week, in Neath. We stayed in the Blue Bell, and ate in their Spanish restaurant. It was far more expensive than the equivalent meal would have been here. It's not Wetherspoons I admit, but I'm talking about equivalent standard here.

tonypub
28-06-2011, 11:48
Maybe you should buy the fresher stuff and not the yellow sticker stuff and Tenerife is not the only place that has sun dont you realise it rises in other places as well why is that being used all time, all i hear are excuses but no real attempt at addressing it you get the figures from your own tourist board but bury your had in the sand at your peril and people will never stop coming of course they will come but as you can see is getting less and less. 6 euro for steak pie and chips 7 euro for take away chicken yes dirt cheap carry on if thats what you believehttp://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/3/prweb8170768.htm :raspberry2:http://www.tenerifebusinesssales.com/nav/tourism-in-tenerife :raspberry2: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187479-i153-k3809271-l27611927-UK_tourists_name_Tenerife_as_number_one_island_des tination-Tenerife_Canary_Islands.html

tenerife rocks:rock::headbang::rock::headbang:

Zara
28-06-2011, 11:51
I have just got a ready roasted chicken from Mercadona to have with salad for this evening and it cost €4.50 I suppose it depends on the size of your family but this one will certainly do 2 of us a 2 days.

We had fish and chips in the UK and it was £4.87 each (threw half away as they were greasy)

Sunday roast at the Hatch in Hook looked a bargain at £8.99 for the beef, we had 2 roasties, a blob of mash, peas and carrots no Yorkshire pudding. By the time you added a drink it was over £25.00 for 2 people.

tonypub
28-06-2011, 11:56
tenerife is that quiet ive just taken 2 more staff on:whistle::rock::rock:

sleepy
28-06-2011, 11:57
I am never going to Tenerife again........just found out 6 eggs are 10c more than U.K. !!!!

Wait a minute that's wrong it's 10p more in U.K. never going there again...........hang on I live there :)

Hang on a minute do I care..................NO !!!!! it is what it is:)

Unfortunately a lot of people do care,most importantly the ones that live and work here full time.Reason being,the poultry monthly wage that most earn on this rock!!

YOUNG GOLFER
28-06-2011, 12:00
Well looks like Tenerife is not the only place where food might be more expensive.

Perth.
Is food cheaper than Perth in the UK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 View Post
The only thing that I've noticed on the positive side of things here in Perth is that the vegetables are often bigger.

That's it.

Fish - much, much more expensive - and sometimes tastes dreadful

Meat - just as expensive and sometimes as tough as leather.

Fruit - overpriced.

Range of foods - better for Asian - everything else worse than the UK.

Overall costs - higher here.

Can't understand how anyone can justify that grocery shopping is more rewarding here. After two years I don't think it's a patch on the UK.

Some things related to food are better (i.e. takeaways and eating out) but grocery shopping is a continual disappointment.

Tojack
28-06-2011, 12:05

Do you need anymore

Angusjim
28-06-2011, 12:09

I hope all fully legal with contracts etc:whistle::whistle:

fonica
28-06-2011, 12:13
I go to the farmers market for potatoes,veg,salad and fruit.For 10€ you can buy loads,then on to Lidl for all their bargains only then do I go to Iceland and Mercadona for the few things I still need.Prices here are much cheaper now than they were a few years ago.

Tom & Sharon
28-06-2011, 12:19
I have just got a ready roasted chicken from Mercadona to have with salad for this evening and it cost €4.50 I suppose it depends on the size of your family but this one will certainly do 2 of us a 2 days.

We had fish and chips in the UK and it was £4.87 each (threw half away as they were greasy)

Sunday roast at the Hatch in Hook looked a bargain at £8.99 for the beef, we had 2 roasties, a blob of mash, peas and carrots no Yorkshire pudding. By the time you added a drink it was over £25.00 for 2 people.

Precisely!

Oberon
28-06-2011, 12:26
............ but go ahead and put your head back in the sand just look what has happened to Benidorm ..........

............. all i hear are excuses but no real attempt at addressing it you get the figures from your own tourist board but bury your head in the sand at your peril .........

I'm not sure about this "bury your head in the sand" bit..

We are clearly experiencing a demographic shift - I doubt the tourist board really cares whether the hotels fill up with Russians or Brits (although the British market is still the most important here).
The hotels are filling up and the Brits that come aren't the same ones as 20 years ago - maybe because there are cheaper alternatives.

In the current economic climate the high streets in Britain are closing down (Habitat went last week, and this week that chocolate shop went under) I am not surprised that some of the businesses that cater exclusively for the British are struggling - only the fittest or the more diverse can survive. The British are still coming but they are not the big spenders they used to be.

I'm not sure anybody is burying their heads in the sand here ...... not any more than they are in Britain.

MaxineC
28-06-2011, 13:19

You seem to think the island relies solely on the British tourist.... Wrong!! Ask any other nationality whether they think the island has become expensive, and most will laugh at you! They also aren't looking for places that only sell a pint for 1€ or a full breakfast for 2.99€! As for the place being low on numbers, wrong again. I work in the tourist sector now, and trust me, the place is bustling...

I've lived here for over 7 years now, and in that time I've found the cost of living has increased very slightly, no more. However, I do know for certain, it is still hugely cheaper than where i lived in the UK (where even 8 years ago a fish & chip takeaway cost over £7.00!).

If you feel Tenerife has become so pricey, maybe it's time for you to look elsewhere for your holidays.... Maybe that nice cheap place in Swansea, would suit you better....

Personally, I prefer quality over quantity any day!

ps: Incidentally, yes, I do think 6€ is cheap for steak pie & chips in a restaurant.... So shoot me! (Actually, the way I feel at the moment, you would be doing me a favour shooting me :D)

Tarw
28-06-2011, 13:38
take a look at what you are comparing lmfao takeaway delivery to a all you can eat in tenerife if you read my earlier post try peach keens some people only see what they want and if you want another try taybarns and id you want another try tobby for a binner its only a fiver so there we go. denial denial no one has adressed why the tourists are not spending or going else here lmfao. No one has said tourist wont come there is just less of them and they aint spending you do the maths its not to hard and them farmers markets aint any cheaper than mercadona been thre done that man i aint no newbie ti the island ive already spent 18 weeks there this year.
I don't need to check UK prices, because I am there all the time.

In Warrington/Manchester it is definitely more than £5 for takeaway fish, chips & peas. When we get a Chinese delivered on a Saturday night for 4 people it is £40. The Chinese all you can eat here in comparison is €7.25 and you think it's too expensive.

We were also in your neck of the woods the other week, in Neath. We stayed in the Blue Bell, and ate in their Spanish restaurant. It was far more expensive than the equivalent meal would have been here. It's not Wetherspoons I admit, but I'm talking about equivalent standard here.

tonypub
28-06-2011, 13:51
take a look at what you are comparing lmfao takeaway delivery to a all you can eat in tenerife if you read my earlier post try peach keens some people only see what they want and if you want another try taybarns and id you want another try tobby for a binner its only a fiver so there we go. denial denial no one has adressed why the tourists are not spending or going else here lmfao. No one has said tourist wont come there is just less of them and they aint spending you do the maths its not to hard and them farmers markets aint any cheaper than mercadona been thre done that man i aint no newbie ti the island ive already spent 18 weeks there this year.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/3/prweb8170768.htm click the link incase you missed it on purpose when i posted it tarw

MaxineC
28-06-2011, 13:52
Jeez, the day I have to start looking on a website to find where I can eat out for a fiver or less is the day I shoot myself... If money is that tight, surely a holiday is a luxury way off the scale???

I think you're missing the point, and maybe during your 18 weeks here this year you're going to the wrong places to do your research. Try getting a table in one of the good (and very expensive by your standards!) restaurants between Thurs & Sunday & you'll struggle.... they're all packed!

There's plenty of money people coming to the island, it's the 1€ a pint brigade that aren't.... and from where I'm sat, that's not a bad thing, it's also not the kind of tourist that helps the economy here either... or the bar owners for that matter. I find selling at a loss isn't particularly good for business.

For goodness sake, if you think Tenerife is over-priced stop coming, but don't drag us all down by comparing it to some godforsaken place in Swansea... The 2 don't compare, on ANY level. Pfffft!

dede
28-06-2011, 13:55
Jeez, the day I have to start looking on a website to find where I can eat out for a fiver or less is the day I shoot myself... If money is that tight, surely a holiday is a luxury way off the scale???

I think you're missing the point, and maybe during your 18 weeks here this year you're going to the wrong places to do your research. Try getting a table in one of the good (and very expensive by your standards!) restaurants between Thurs & Sunday & you'll struggle.... they're all packed!

There's plenty of money people coming to the island, it's the 1€ a pint brigade that aren't.... and from where I'm sat, that's not a bad thing, it's also not the kind of tourist that helps the economy here either... or the bar owners for that matter. I find selling at a loss isn't particularly good for business.

For goodness sake, if you think Tenerife is over-priced stop coming, but don't drag us all down by comparing it to some godforsaken place in Swansea... The 2 don't compare, on ANY level. Pfffft!

Its not about eating out Maxine the thread is about weekly food shopping that we do that live here !!!

Tom & Sharon
28-06-2011, 14:03

You're just talking absolute gibberish now, I don't even understand half of it!

Tbh, I don't really get what you're on about. What's the joke in comparing a Chinese delivery at £10 a head to All You Can Eat for €7.25? Please enlighten me to your point.

I have also just had a look at Peachy Keens in Swansea, and it's £12.99 for Friday/Saturday night, so again what's your point?

And if the tourists aren't coming (according to you, but rubbish) why have you already spent 18 weeks this year here? Was Blackpool full?

pablo1
28-06-2011, 14:07
Why can't both sides just accept that you can buy decent quality groceries in both the uk and Tenerife at reasonable prices?
This siege mentality that some Tenerife residents seem to have if somebody dares to point out that you may/may not get a better deal on some items in Britain is laughable!
I personally don't feel either are extortionate and shopping around in both places you will invariably find items that are more/less than the other.
Just so my credentials on having an opinion on this subject aren't questioned, I lived in Tenerife for 10 years, have been back here for 7 and visit now every 5-6 weeks - oh, and the higher/lower prices haven't put me off! :-)

Tarw
28-06-2011, 14:13
are you the same maxine who rente me a cat pee infested room in castalia park last year if you are i have the pics and video if anyone wants to see them

Added after 4 minutes:

i was talking your own tourist board incase you missed it not an individual airline
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/3/prweb8170768.htm click the link incase you missed it on purpose when i posted it tarw

tonypub
28-06-2011, 14:23
try this link tarw http://www.canarianweekly.com/localNews3242.html

Tarw
28-06-2011, 14:27
you just aint reeding my post properly are you otherwise you would know but perhaps your attention span does not go that long as you will see there are many on this thread agreeing and just as many not so we will let the tourist speek for themselves and they have a right to know peoples opinions good or bad dont take things so personal :chillpill:sonds like your ready for a heart attack arent people allowed a different opinion.
You're just talking absolute gibberish now, I don't even understand half of it!

Tbh, I don't really get what you're on about. What's the joke in comparing a Chinese delivery at £10 a head to All You Can Eat for €7.25? Please enlighten me to your point.

I have also just had a look at Peachy Keens in Swansea, and it's £12.99 for Friday/Saturday night, so again what's your point?

And if the tourists aren't coming (according to you, but rubbish) why have you already spent 18 weeks this year here? Was Blackpool full?

Tom & Sharon
28-06-2011, 14:29
Pablo is quite right. There are loads of things in UK which are cheaper than in Tenerife. Especially if you buy rubbish like Asda Smart Price/Iceland/Farmfoods/Netto. Conversely, there are loads of things in Tenerife which are cheaper than UK - namely petrol, booze and cigarettes.

As I've said a million times (or it feels like it) it depends on what you buy, and where you buy it. There is no hard and fast rule, because everyone's weekly shopping basket is different. For us, Tenerife is cheaper, but for some I can see that UK would be cheaper. Sainsburys are advertising feed a family of 4 for a week for £50 here:- http://www.sainsburys-feed-your-family.co.uk/

Have a look at it. It is possible, but for me it wouldn't be. I couldn't feed our family on any of it, they wouldn't touch it and neither would I. You could also probably buy €50 of food in Mercadona and live on it for a week, I've seen people on here say it before now.

Also one of the reasons it's cheaper for us to live here than in UK is that there just isn't the range of foods available to buy. You can't compare Mercadona to the supermarkets in the UK for the range of foodstuffs that are available. There is no comparison.

Tarw
28-06-2011, 14:31
read the second paragraph on your own link yes up on this time last year because of the unrest around the world which your own tourist board admitted a couple of months ago they were hopping to cash in on to get the losses of 2010 back up like i stated in an earlier post on this thread you just reading what you want and not the whole post.
try this link tarw http://www.canarianweekly.com/localNews3242.html

pablo1
28-06-2011, 14:36
Err, thanks Sharon.....though I can safely say that I have never used any of those fine establishments that you mention.

tonypub
28-06-2011, 14:38
read the second paragraph on your own link yes up on this time last year because of the unrest around the world which your own tourist board admitted a couple of months ago they were hopping to cash in on to get the losses of 2010 back up like i stated in an earlier post on this thread you just reading what you want and not the whole post.im just pointing out the fact that tenerife is busy

primrose
28-06-2011, 14:46
Pablo is quite right. There are loads of things in UK which are cheaper than in Tenerife. Especially if you buy rubbish like Asda Smart Price/Iceland/Farmfoods/Netto. Conversely, there are loads of things in Tenerife which are cheaper than UK - namely petrol, booze and cigarettes.

As I've said a million times (or it feels like it) it depends on what you buy, and where you buy it. There is no hard and fast rule, because everyone's weekly shopping basket is different. For us, Tenerife is cheaper, but for some I can see that UK would be cheaper. Sainsburys are advertising feed a family of 4 for a week for £50 here:- http://www.sainsburys-feed-your-family.co.uk/

Have a look at it. It is possible, but for me it wouldn't be. I couldn't feed our family on any of it, they wouldn't touch it and neither would I. You could also probably buy €50 of food in Mercadona and live on it for a week, I've seen people on here say it before now.

Also one of the reasons it's cheaper for us to live here than in UK is that there just isn't the range of foods available to buy. You can't compare Mercadona to the supermarkets in the UK for the range of foodstuffs that are available. There is no comparison.

Come on Sharon, how on earth can you say there isn't the range available in the UK than there is in Tenerife, if thats the case why do you shop in Iceland, if not to get what you can't get in Spanish supermarkets,and why do people go on shopping trips to the UK.

pablo1
28-06-2011, 14:49
Regardless of price, anyone who says that there is more choice in Tenerife than the uk has been at the cartons of vino....

I believe Sharon was referring to the other way around.

Angusjim
28-06-2011, 14:50
you just aint reeding my post properly are you otherwise you would know but perhaps your attention span does not go that long as you will see there are many on this thread agreeing and just as many not so we will let the tourist speek for themselves and they have a right to know peoples opinions good or bad dont take things so personal :chillpill:sonds like your ready for a heart attack arent people allowed a different opinion.

I think it is you that has taken things a bit personal with your comments to Maxine in post #116 could you not have PM'd your question to her. You are out of order

Tom & Sharon
28-06-2011, 14:50
Come on Sharon, how on earth can you say there isn't the range available in the UK than there is in Tenerife, if thats the case why do you shop in Iceland, if not to get what you can't get in Spanish supermarkets,and why do people go on shopping trips to the UK.

Primrose, I think you need to re-read my post. It's cheaper for us to live here because there is nothing to buy in comparison to the UK.

How could you possibly think I meant the other way round?

Added after 4 minutes:

Regardless of price, anyone who says that there is more choice in Tenerife than the uk has been at the cartons of vino....

Not me who's been on the vino Pablo. I've re-posted just in case anyone else misinterprets what I said.

Mercadona v Selfridges food hall? :crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

pablo1
28-06-2011, 15:06
I've been Ill in bed since Saturday Sharon and I'm posting from my phone so my ability to read posts properly has been severely diminished due to squinting a lot! :-)

Tarw
28-06-2011, 15:12
no u r wrong she made a personal comment on my post first get the facts right first before u comment thats normally the best way
I think it is you that has taken things a bit personal with your comments to Maxine in post #116 could you not have PM'd your question to her. You are out of order

primrose
28-06-2011, 15:18
Primrose, I think you need to re-read my post. It's cheaper for us to live here because there is nothing to buy in comparison to the UK.

How could you possibly think I meant the other way round?

Added after 4 minutes:

Not me who's been on the vino Pablo. I've re-posted just in case anyone else misinterprets what I said.

Mercadona v Selfridges food hall? :crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

What a good advert for Tenerife, come and live here it's a lot cheaper as there is no choice in the supermarkets.

Sundowner
28-06-2011, 15:20
[

Mercadona v Selfridges food hall? :crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:[/QUOTE]

Sharon next time you are in London and want to buy some quality food try http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/kensington/ a lot better than Selfridges and Harrods for food IMO but not cheap.

pablo1
28-06-2011, 15:25
Tarw, you do know that you don't get charged for using full stops don't you? :-)
Only messing, but on a serious note you are making valid points so continue to do so, just don't get dragged into the tittle tattle that goes on as it takes away from what you are genuinely trying to get across. :-)

Chris P. Bacon
28-06-2011, 15:31
What a good advert for Tenerife, come and live here it's a lot cheaper as there is no choice in the supermarkets.

Primrose I think you need to go to Specsavers! Firstly you read Sharons post the wrong way and now you are saying she said "there is no choice in the supermarkets" when she in fact said "there is'nt the range" which to me means LESS choice which would be true. Perhaps it's time for your siesta :crazy:

Added after 4 minutes:

and them farmers markets aint any cheaper than mercadona been thre done that man i aint no newbie ti the island ive already spent 18 weeks there this year.

Well I have to disagree on this as I use the farm shop in Chafiras (begins with a B) I bought a cauliflower, mushrooms, lettuce, 5 potatoes and a cucumber for €2.08!! You are now going to tell me you can get the same at Mercadona are you??

bonitatime
28-06-2011, 15:42
I was in Tescos at 11pm Friday night amazed as I always am at the choice of things and the fact they were open at that time. That said thre are an awful lot of processed foods which I certainly wouldn't buy.
We actually purchased fruit which was a much better selection, strawberries and rasberries and cherries. The struck me as reasonable. Beer for my student son for his last couple of days. Spice mixes and chocolate that you don't see here.
There is a much better range of diet products and more reasonable but most of the stuff that struck me as cheaper was on some kind of loss leading offer.
I always like to wander a supermarket whilst I am in the Uk but do the same where ever I go away so it isn't really that I am back in the UK and need to shop.

I have frieds who live near Poris de Abona who swear it is half the price to go to Santa Cruz to shop than to shop in the south. I just need to put 20 euros in my car to get there and back which spoils the effect. It would be intresting to hear from someone who actually lives up there what they think about the price comparison.

Added after 3 minutes:

The peseta to euro exchange factor is 166.386 pesetas to the euro.

An exchange rate of 250 pesetas to the pound equates to 1.50€ to the pound.

The real problem when people buying in pounds compare prices is that we are suffering from such a poor exchange rate.

Funny you say that it bought back to me that when I was about 10 the rate was 300 to the pound as I remmeber haveing to calculate by 3 and thinking this is strage. It was probably my first attempts at currency conversion.

primrose
28-06-2011, 15:45
Primrose I think you need to go to Specsavers! Firstly you read Sharons post the wrong way and now you are saying she said "there is no choice in the supermarkets" when she in fact said "there is'nt the range" which to me means LESS choice which would be true. Perhaps it's time for your siesta :crazy:

Added after 4 minutes:

Well I have to disagree on this as I use the farm shop in Chafiras (begins with a B) I bought a cauliflower, mushrooms, lettuce, 5 potatoes and a cucumber for €2.08!! You are now going to tell me you can get the same at Mercadona are you??

Does isn't the range mean less choice? Did you get the fruit flies for free at the Farm Shop because it is usually alive with them, there you go meat and veg for two euros eight cents.

Chris P. Bacon
28-06-2011, 15:52
Does isn't the range mean less choice? Did you get the fruit flies for free at the Farm Shop because it is usually alive with them, there you go meat and veg for two euros eight cents.

Yes "is'nt the range" means "less" not "no choice" read your post again please.

I cannot say I have ever seen fruit flies in that shop (are we talking about the same shop here?) :eyebrows:

primrose
28-06-2011, 15:57
Yes "is'nt the range" means "less" not "no choice" read your post again please.

I cannot say I have ever seen fruit flies in that shop (are we talking about the same shop here?) :eyebrows:

Yes same shop Bejuca, Thanks for the English lesson, and as for going to Specsavers I only wish I could far cheaper than Tenerife,as you have said so many times.

Tom & Sharon
28-06-2011, 16:19

Primrose, I mean this in the nicest possible way - but stop getting your knickers in a twist

If you read this thread from the beginning, you will see that I am trying to defend Tenerife. I have said from the beginning it is far cheaper to live here than the UK. Only one of those reasons is that there is not the product range. There isn't, but I don't think anyone would expect there to be. The UK is a shoppers paradise, we all know that. That's because there's not much else you can do there, and before everyone jumps on the bandwagon, that's for another thread!

There's nothing wrong with being honest you know. Just because we don't think Iceland (Overseas) and Mercadona are the best things since sliced bread (pardon the pun) it doesn't mean we don't love Tenerife.

I haven't noticed anyone come on and say they're selling up and moving back to the UK because they miss Tesco and it's 3 for 2 offers, have you?

MaxineC
28-06-2011, 16:29
Its not about eating out Maxine the thread is about weekly food shopping that we do that live here !!!

I know, sorry, I got distracted by Tarw's comments... :whistle:

I did say in my first post though, that in the time I've lived here there has been some price increases, but my weekly 'shop' hasn't gone up alarmingly... As for price comparisons between here and the UK; I think it's totally pointless! I have no idea, nor do I care, how much groceries are in the UK, I live and shop here! The end. ;)

are you the same maxine who rente me a cat pee infested room in castalia park last year if you are i have the pics and video if anyone wants to see them

Added after 4 minutes:

i was talking your own tourist board incase you missed it not an individual airline

How nice, but I wouldn't go within a 100 paces of the place, let alone own an apartment there! My name may not be popular, but I don't have it exclusively...

Thank you, however I think I can handle him from here.... I was a matador in a previous life! :D

dede
28-06-2011, 16:31
Primrose, I mean this in the nicest possible way - but stop getting your knickers in a twist

If you read this thread from the beginning, you will see that I am trying to defend Tenerife. I have said from the beginning it is far cheaper to live here than the UK. Only one of those reasons is that there is not the product range. There isn't, but I don't think anyone would expect there to be. The UK is a shoppers paradise, we all know that. That's because there's not much else you can do there, and before everyone jumps on the bandwagon, that's for another thread!

There's nothing wrong with being honest you know. Just because we don't think Iceland (Overseas) and Mercadona are the best things since sliced bread (pardon the pun) it doesn't mean we don't love Tenerife.

I haven't noticed anyone come on and say they're selling up and moving back to the UK because they miss Tesco and it's 3 for 2 offers, have you?

Your quite right Sharon but because I think the opposite to you that the uk is becoming cheaper than tenerife i have been told that no one keeps me here and maybe I should get a plane back there!!! and all because of an opinion!!! why should I? its only one small issue I have with Tenerife at the moment but some people wont have anything said about Tenerife and resort to insults and I dont know why???

primrose
28-06-2011, 16:35

I have no idea what you are on about, my opinion is that it is cheaper to live in the UK, it doesn't matter to me what your opinion is you are entitled to it just the same as I am, but I do object to somebody coming on a thread and telling me to go to Specsavers and if that is the only comment she has to make then it would be better to say nothing,not the most intelligent comment on a thread about the cost of living in Tenerife. As for people selling up and going back to England well yes I do know quite a lot that have gone back because they cannot affort to live here, sad but true.

Tom & Sharon
28-06-2011, 16:39
I have no idea what you are on about, my opinion is that it is cheaper to live in the UK, it doesn't matter to me what your opinion is you are entitled to it just the same as I am, but I do object to somebody coming on a thread and telling me to go to Specsavers and if that is the only comment she has to make then it would be better to say nothing,not the most intelligent comment on a thread about the cost of living in Tenerife. As for people selling up and going back to England well yes I do know quite a lot that have gone back because they cannot affort to live here, sad but true.

OK then, we'll agree to disagree.

But for us it is cheaper to live in Tenerife - by miles!

MaxineC
28-06-2011, 16:48
Your quite right Sharon but because I think the opposite to you that the uk is becoming cheaper than tenerife i have been told that no one keeps me here and maybe I should get a plane back there!!! and all because of an opinion!!! why should I? its only one small issue I have with Tenerife at the moment but some people wont have anything said about Tenerife and resort to insults and I dont know why???

My excuse is I'm over due my medication... and I had some grumpynut flakes for breakfast! :crazy:

No, we all know the Island isn't Utopia and for all its assets, Tenerife can also be a very frustrating place to live. Like many, I have a little wish list of things that would make the place absolutely perfect, for Me... but not necessarily for others. I knew when I moved here there was no Sainsburys, M&S foodhall, Harvey Nicks (OH delighted about that one!).... and if we did, I'm sure they would be more expensive than the UK versions, because we live on a small island in the middle of the atlantic and everything needs to be imported!!

Air your opinions, you're entitled to, just like we all are. However, when people start comparing 'My Little Utopia' with some cheap & cheerful in Swansea, I'll protect it... :knight: :D

pablo1
28-06-2011, 16:52

I'd be very surprised if anybody could live cheaper overall in the uk than in Tenerife.
My overheads before I can even buy a mars bar at home would see me living in luxury on the rock, but then the chances of earning the wages to do it are pretty much nil.
I would rather earn good money here and be able to spend a good chunk of my time in Tenerife than live there permanently and scrape by ( not aimed at anybody ) worrying about my shopping bills. :-)

I'd be very surprised if anybody could live cheaper overall in the uk than in Tenerife.
My overheads before I can even buy a mars bar at home would see me living in luxury on the rock, but then the chances of earning the wages to do it are pretty much nil.
I would rather earn good money here and be able to spend a good chunk of my time in Tenerife than live there permanently and scrape by ( not aimed at anybody ) worrying about my shopping bills. :-)

dede
28-06-2011, 16:54
My excuse is I'm over due my medication... and I had some grumpynut flakes for breakfast! :crazy:

No, we all know the Island isn't Utopia and for all its assets, Tenerife can also be a very frustrating place to live. Like many, I have a little wish list of things that would make the place absolutely perfect, for Me... but not necessarily for others. I knew when I moved here there was no Sainsburys, M&S foodhall, Harvey Nicks (OH delighted about that one!).... and if we did, I'm sure they would be more expensive than the UK versions, because we live on a small island in the middle of the atlantic and everything needs to be imported!!

Air your opinions, you're entitled to, just like we all are. However, when people start comparing 'My Little Utopia' with some cheap & cheerful in Swansea, I'll protect it... :knight: :D

Quite right Max, and for the record i never meant you, I also love living here but with some people your just not allowed to say anything about tenerife because it may upset newbies, i was told the other day i am putting people off coming here:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

Ed3229
28-06-2011, 16:55
IMO things are expensive if you cant afford them.........

Tom & Sharon
28-06-2011, 17:00

Absolutely. That's why Tom works in the UK. Even with the flights for us both (good old Ryanair) it's still cheaper for us to have our main home here.

MaxineC
28-06-2011, 17:01
Quite right Max, and for the record i never meant you, I also love living here but with some people your just not allowed to say anything about tenerife because it may upset newbies, i was told the other day i am putting people off coming here:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

I knew you couldn't have meant me, I'm perfect and always charming.... :whistle:

Wondered why they'd stopped blaming me, so you're the scary person on here, are you.... :crylaughing::crylaughing:

Got some beautiful idyllic sandy beaches in Swansea,I'll have you know :D

I have been to Swansea.... once! ;)

IMO things are expensive if you cant afford them.........

Exactly!

Goforgold
28-06-2011, 17:11
You eat less when its hot. :-)
So definately cheaper in Tenerife.
Lol .

Sent using Tapatalk.

Now that's a good point!!! Never thought of that one!! :)

bonitatime
28-06-2011, 18:54

I am still trying to work this concept out. If you are going to be poor which is wht I gather pensioners are now there are no intrest payments. Surely it is better to be poor in the sun where there is no heating, minimal rates (even if you live in Adeje rates are cheaper than the UK). Minimal clothing bills and food if you are buying basics are cheap. Please somone explain this to me as it doesn't go in.

primrose
28-06-2011, 19:09
I am still trying to work this concept out. If you are going to be poor which is wht I gather pensioners are now there are no intrest payments. Surely it is better to be poor in the sun where there is no heating, minimal rates (even if you live in Adeje rates are cheaper than the UK). Minimal clothing bills and food if you are buying basics are cheap. Please somone explain this to me as it doesn't go in.

Why do you think it is only pensioners who are poor, there are a lot of other poor people here some on low pay, some on no pay when their benefits run out,there is a lot more choice in the UK and a lot more offers so if you shop with care it can be a lot cheaper, It is a thread dede started about the price of food compared to the UK, I cannot comment about drink and cigarettes as I dont smoke or drink but I would imagine that is a big saving for some.

Goforgold
28-06-2011, 19:23

You are spot on here Bonatime!! If we can't afford to do long term winter sun, which would be my preference, then we will definitely be out there - much cheaper for a retiree to live in Tenerife and as I've said before, you don't even need a car but can still get out and about no problem. :)

primrose
28-06-2011, 19:27
You are spot on here Bonatime!! If we can't afford to do long term winter sun, which would be my preference, then we will definitely be out there - much cheaper for a retiree to live in Tenerife and as I've said before, you don't even need a car but can still get out and about no problem. :)

But this thread is not about pensioners standard of living in Tenerife it is about the difference in the price of food between Tenerife and the UK.

MaxineC
28-06-2011, 19:29
I'm still not quite sure what the point people are trying to come to is... What does it matter which country food shopping is most expensive/cheapest, the only thing that matters is where we can all get the best produce/value where we live!

Goforgold
28-06-2011, 19:30
I'm still not quite sure what the point people are trying to come to is... What does it matter which country food shopping is most expensive/cheapest, the only thing that matters is where we can all get the best produce/value where we live!

It doesn't really, but I'm at a loose end as I have given up Emmerdale & Corrie as they have become Cr*p!! :)

Edit

Well Cr*ppER !!

MaxineC
28-06-2011, 19:32
It doesn't really, but I'm at a loose end as I have given up Emmerdale & Corrie as they have become Cr*p!! :)

Edit

Well Cr*ppER !!

And i'm trying to get my post count up.... ;)

primrose
28-06-2011, 19:40

Edit

Well Cr*ppER !!

I know your bored Goforgold but why you talking about somebody that invented the Ballcock on a food thread.

Goforgold
28-06-2011, 19:49
I know your bored Goforgold but why you talking about somebody that invented the Ballcock on a food thread.

Nice one Primrose!!! :)

And i'm trying to get my post count up.... ;)

What do they give you if you 'get it up'!!! :eyebrows:

MaxineC
28-06-2011, 19:59
What do they give you if you 'get it up'!!! :eyebrows:

I'm not sure, but it better be good... :D

Goforgold
28-06-2011, 21:14
But this thread is not about pensioners standard of living in Tenerife it is about the difference in the price of food between Tenerife and the UK.

I know but it's all harmless isn't it :) And we're being friendly :)

primrose
28-06-2011, 21:19
I know but it's all harmless isn't it :) And we're being friendly :)

Especially now your talking about Ballcocks:spin::spin:

Goforgold
28-06-2011, 21:24
Especially now your talking about Ballcocks:spin::spin:

Go get a cold shower woman!!! :)

with cheese
28-06-2011, 22:08
Still cheaper in Tenerife for healthy living, which in this day and age we should be looking at.
Don't mean Tesco no goodness fresh rubbish. Meat and veg pumped full of water, imo.

Tarw
29-06-2011, 07:45
I didn’t say u owned an apartment but someone with a name the same as yours who I contacted through here rented me an apartment there, coincidence then a "thought only one person could have a username". So you have never rented out apartments for other people if that’s the case, that’s the case I just asked was you that person. As to Tenerife I have never run it down so no need to defend it, I have never been insulting to the place like you have been to me and the place I’m from, what’s wrong with you people why cant you just have an opinion and let others have theirs without being insulting. By the way I love Tenerife and own my own place there why would i want to run it down, does not mean I can’t have my opinion on the cost of food.
I know, sorry, I got distracted by Tarw's comments... :whistle:

I did say in my first post though, that in the time I've lived here there has been some price increases, but my weekly 'shop' hasn't gone up alarmingly... As for price comparisons between here and the UK; I think it's totally pointless! I have no idea, nor do I care, how much groceries are in the UK, I live and shop here! The end. ;)

How nice, but I wouldn't go within a 100 paces of the place, let alone own an apartment there! My name may not be popular, but I don't have it exclusively...

Thank you, however I think I can handle him from here.... I was a matador in a previous life! :D

Added after 10 minutes:

Pablo take a look at the post m8 full stops the lot its just my common working class mining comunity grammer soory bout that looks a little bit like welsh does it :)

pablo1
29-06-2011, 10:39
Nothing wrong with working class mate, would take that over all other ' classes ' :-)

MaxineC
29-06-2011, 11:22
I didn’t say u owned an apartment but someone with a name the same as yours who I contacted through here rented me an apartment there, coincidence then a "thought only one person could have a username". So you have never rented out apartments for other people if that’s the case, that’s the case I just asked was you that person. As to Tenerife I have never run it down so no need to defend it, I have never been insulting to the place like you have been to me and the place I’m from, what’s wrong with you people why cant you just have an opinion and let others have theirs without being insulting. By the way I love Tenerife and own my own place there why would i want to run it down, does not mean I can’t have my opinion on the cost of food.

Actually yes, on the old forum there was another Maxine, she just wasn't called MaxineC....!! No, i have never rented out apartments here or anywhere else... with or without cat pee! I wasn't insulting you (you would have known without doubt if I was, trust me!) I just felt your constant references to comparing Tenerife to a cheap & cheerful in Swansea was a ridiculous comparison to make...

You have your opinion, I have mine... Simples!

Tarw
29-06-2011, 12:16
How is it ridiculous It was a comparison in prices u have your all u can eat we have ours no need to throw a hissy perhaps the sun is getting to u lot forever being nast whats wrong with u why cant u be civil always have to chnge the tone of things, when u here something u dont like. well dear thats the way things are like it or lump it. As like others on here perhaps u come from somewhere special and people from Swansea or people who go to blackpool on hols aint good enough for Tenerife. Trust me lmfao me and the wife are of the kind that insults are better of traded face to face this is a place of debate not internet tough guys & girls. Ask about there are some on here who know us personally.
Actually yes, on the old forum there was another Maxine, she just wasn't called MaxineC....!! No, i have never rented out apartments here or anywhere else... with or without cat pee! I wasn't insulting you (you would have known without doubt if I was, trust me!) I just felt your constant references to comparing Tenerife to a cheap & cheerful in Swansea was a ridiculous comparison to make...

You have your opinion, I have mine... Simples!

MaxineC
29-06-2011, 12:31
How is it ridiculous It was a comparison in prices u have your all u can eat we have ours no need to throw a hissy perhaps the sun is getting to u lot forever being nast whats wrong with u why cant u be civil always have to chnge the tone of things, when u here something u dont like. well dear thats the way things are like it or lump it. As like others on here perhaps u come from somewhere special and people from Swansea or people who go to blackpool on hols aint good enough for Tenerife. Trust me lmfao me and the wife are of the kind that insults are better of traded face to face this is a place of debate not internet tough guys & girls. Ask about there are some on here who know us personally.

Good god, calm down man... You are free to holiday where you choose, it is of no interest to me. As I said, I wasn't insulting you, i merely thought comparing Tenerife to Swansea wasn't really what the thread was about.... Why are you having problems understanding that, you seem to be reading words that aren't there...

Now, take a big deep breathe.... and get off my back before I do start hurling insults!

Tarw
29-06-2011, 13:50
Nobody was comparing Tenerife to Swansea they were just references to prices in them place which is what the thread is about until u started bad mouthing Swansea u have really brought the tone of this thread down with ur insults take a look at ur posts here your insinuations in post 109 are enough "if i dont like it maybe i should go on hols to that cheap place in Swansea" that was a sacarstic insult and you know it, whose the one to start bad mouthing people personally about the region they are from, Tenerife aint no Monaco but some seem to think so because you have sun lmfao, maybe if you dont like hearing negative things about Tenerife you should not read a thread like this, it would save the insults. If u want to insult go right ahead seems thats what you are good at, reference to holidaying was directed to the person who mentioned it in a negative manner earlier if u looked at all the posts. Dont take peoples views on prices so personaly it was just a topic of conversation meant for people to discuss, not an attack. xxx
Good god, calm down man... You are free to holiday where you choose, it is of no interest to me. As I said, I wasn't insulting you, i merely thought comparing Tenerife to Swansea wasn't really what the thread was about.... Why are you having problems understanding that, you seem to be reading words that aren't there...

Now, take a big deep breathe.... and get off my back before I do start hurling insults!

MaxineC
29-06-2011, 14:20
As a spin off from the thread "whats the price of a meal in tenerife" i thought i would start this thread rather than hijack that one, I have to say i have just spent a week in the uk and i could see a big difference in the price of food in general. I personaly think food is so much cheaper now in the uk than here in tenerife. My sister done a big shop in asda and it came to 85 pounds and the basket was full to the brim, i go to mercadona and i can easily spend 100 euros and dont have half as much!! Even here in tenerife iceland has gone so much cheaper aswell but like has been said before, the bread is expensive but i only buy spanish bread now anyway, but lots of things cheap now, worth a look...

Exactly the point i was trying to make on the other thread but people out there seem to keep saying "no its not cheaper in the UK or you have to pay for shipping" or you wern't moaning when it was 1.47 for a pound the reality is it has not been that for a very long time that is why people are looking further afield. Then they say how quiet it is and that people are not spending like they use to, i think its because they are looking for better value for money and tenerife is not as cheap as it used to be in comparison to a few years ago and being the biggest market for holiday makers to Tenerife UK tourists are not finding the falue for their pound. I went to a place in Swansea for for yesterday called Peachy Keens just google it and see what you get for £7 compared to the same £7 quid in Tenerife No contest me thinks.

I was talking about the general price of food in the uk not anything in particular just a normal every week shop, and i stand by what i said that it is definatley cheaper in the uk now than here in Tenerife, having said that it dosnt make me see only negatives about tenerife and someone who has a choice to either get on a plane back to the uk or shut up, its my opinion for which i am entitled after living here for 9 years now.

Nobody was comparing Tenerife to Swansea they were just references to prices in them place which is what the thread is about until u started bad mouthing Swansea u have really brought the tone of this thread down with ur insults take a look at ur posts here your insinuations in post 109 are enough "if i dont like it maybe i should go on hols to that cheap place in Swansea" that was a sacarstic insult and you know it, whose the one to start bad mouthing people personally about the region they are from, Tenerife aint no Monaco but some seem to think so because you have sun lmfao, maybe if you dont like hearing negative things about Tenerife you should not read a thread like this, it would save the insults. If u want to insult go right ahead seems thats what you are good at, reference to holidaying was directed to the person who mentioned it in a negative manner earlier if u looked at all the posts. Dont take peoples views on prices so personaly it was just a topic of conversation meant for people to discuss, not an attack. xxx

No! The thread is about the price of grocery shopping between Tenerife & the UK... Dede clearly states this is a 'spin off' from the cost of eating out in Tenerife...

As for the rest of your response.... ranting gibberish!

Tojack
29-06-2011, 14:22
Tawn Whats the abbreviation lmfao mean please.

Angusjim
29-06-2011, 14:48

Good question I thought maybe " in my flipping !! angry opinion " :crazy:

Tarw
29-06-2011, 14:51
thought u worked for the tourist board not to busy are u perhaps there aint that much to do and thats what i said the thread is about prices yet you come back with some silly personal attack again whats wrong with you woman or is it pmt haaa thats it. Only one person ranting dear no sour mouth hear take a look.
No! The thread is about the price of grocery shopping between Tenerife & the UK... Dede clearly states this is a 'spin off' from the cost of eating out in Tenerife...

As for the rest of your response.... ranting gibberish!

Added after 2 minutes:

Its laughing my Fing bum off u can fill it in proper reffering to someone getting over excited.

MaxineC
29-06-2011, 14:59
Good question I thought maybe " in my flipping !! angry opinion " :crazy:

:crylaughing: :crylaughing:

'laughed my 'f' ar$e off' but i quite like your version! :D

sunspot
29-06-2011, 15:01
I have not got a clue on the price of food in the UK,to be honest because i live here have no problem getting what i need,if im desperate i go to Iceland but not very often, i use the Veg. markets for my fresh stuff and it may be a little dearer than the big supermarkets but it lasts 2-3 weeks because its so fresh so saves in the long run,if i want breakfast i go out 2.85 for a big breakfast including coffee,to hell with cooking it, a good 3 course meal at Pimms in Los Cristianos for 8.50
and i go to the English warehouse in Buzzanada for much of the other things like cleaning materials and find the cost of living pretty good

Sundowner
29-06-2011, 15:39
Tesco Prices

Milk 66p per Ltr
Bread white sliced 800g 60p
Eggs free range Lg 25p each
Potatoes 54p per Kg
Butter 250 Gr £1.24p
Rump steak £11.79p per Kg
Heinz baked beans 415Gr tin 69p
Sugar 1 Kg 82p
Kellogs cornflakes 500Gr £1.98p
Typhoo tea bags 80 £2.09p

I have used no special offers or value products all prices taken from their website today :)

Now if some kind person can do the same with Mercadona prices we will have part of the answer.

MaxineC
29-06-2011, 16:19
I have not got a clue on the price of food in the UK,to be honest because i live here have no problem getting what i need,if im desperate i go to Iceland but not very often, i use the Veg. markets for my fresh stuff and it may be a little dearer than the big supermarkets but it lasts 2-3 weeks because its so fresh so saves in the long run,if i want breakfast i go out 2.85 for a big breakfast including coffee,to hell with cooking it, a good 3 course meal at Pimms in Los Cristianos for 8.50
and i go to the English warehouse in Buzzanada for much of the other things like cleaning materials and find the cost of living pretty good

What's that then.... am i missing something? :eek:

with cheese
29-06-2011, 18:56
Tesco Prices

Milk 66p per Ltr
Bread white sliced 800g 60p
Eggs free range Lg 25p each
Potatoes 54p per Kg
Butter 250 Gr £1.24p
Rump steak £11.79p per Kg
Heinz baked beans 415Gr tin 69p
Sugar 1 Kg 82p
Kellogs cornflakes 500Gr £1.98p
Typhoo tea bags 80 £2.09p

I have used no special offers or value products all prices taken from their website today :)

Now if some kind person can do the same with Mercadona prices we will have part of the answer.

Fresh products in Tesco are dreadful though

Zara
29-06-2011, 19:30
What's that then.... am i missing something? :eek:

Yes you are missing out, you can buy Bisto, Fox's Biscuits, Fray Bentos Pies, Sharwood and Lloyd Grosman sauces all the tinned/dried stuff from the UK, from Tesco, Asda, Waitrose etc. I popped in today and got 200 doggie poop bags €1.00 It is in Buzanada in the road that runs up from the 'closed' supermarket (opposite Lo Nuestro)

Tarw
29-06-2011, 20:12
Does that mean we are friends now isnt it nice 2 b nice :love:
:crylaughing: :crylaughing:

'laughed my 'f' ar$e off' but i quite like your version! :D

Zara
29-06-2011, 20:32
Apologies if I have the wrong thread and to be honest I can´t go back over 179 posts but was someone saying that tourists were down as they find the islands too expensive http://newsinthesun.com/?p=5007

caroletenerife
29-06-2011, 20:54
Yes you are missing out, you can buy Bisto, Fox's Biscuits, Fray Bentos Pies, Sharwood and Lloyd Grosman sauces all the tinned/dried stuff from the UK, from Tesco, Asda, Waitrose etc. I popped in today and got 200 doggie poop bags €1.00 It is in Buzanada in the road that runs up from the 'closed' supermarket (opposite Lo Nuestro)

Oh didnt know about this...do you need a member card or something or is it open to anyone

Zara
29-06-2011, 21:05
No, no membership, they are open Mon, Wed and Fri from 10 - 4. And everything is very cheap. They also have dog and cat food at 3 packs for €1 it looks really good I bought 3 packs but my two are too spoilt to even look at it. :whistle:

pablo1
29-06-2011, 21:13
So Chafiras for Iceland, Buzanada for some warehouse, and mercadona in between. Seems like a lot of messing to get some ' cheap ' goods?

This isn't in anyway a dig, just an observation. :-)

MaxineC
29-06-2011, 21:34
Does that mean we are friends now isnt it nice 2 b nice :love:

I didn't fall out with you, just disagreed with you on that subject... I rarely fall out with people, but clash of personalities will happen, and is quite natural... However, I will always argue my point if somebody feeds me the bait :eyebrows: :D

Apologies if I have the wrong thread and to be honest I can´t go back over 179 posts but was someone saying that tourists were down as they find the islands too expensive http://newsinthesun.com/?p=5007

There was indeed.. *Cough* TAARRRWWWWW....... It's for yooo hooo!! :D :D :D

So Chafiras for Iceland, Buzanada for some warehouse, and mercadona in between. Seems like a lot of messing to get some ' cheap ' goods?

Ahh, shut up you and get back to recuperating.... :nurse2: :crylaughing: :crylaughing:

Tarw
29-06-2011, 22:11
So many contradictory stories by to many different areas. Aint going to bother to repeat what i said in previous post if u wana see look yourself cos im tired of going over the same thing this point has already been addressed.

Tojack
29-06-2011, 22:13
So nice to see you made a full recovery Max......:lol:

with cheese
29-06-2011, 22:15
No, no membership, they are open Mon, Wed and Fri from 10 - 4. And everything is very cheap. They also have dog and cat food at 3 packs for €1 it looks really good I bought 3 packs but my two are too spoilt to even look at it. :whistle:

So did you enjoy it Zara. See much cheaper pastry 50c and 3 tins of meat 1euro massive pie, for 2 nights dinner.

dede
29-06-2011, 22:16
All these different places that keep popping up with cheap food, you would probably use more in petrol, even though i started this thread i couldnt be arsed travelling just to get things a little bit cheaper so i will just continue to shop in merca.....or untill at least they open up an asda here :pray::pray::pray:

with cheese
29-06-2011, 22:18
So many contradictory stories by to many different areas. Aint going to bother to repeat what i said in previous post if u wana see look yourself cos im tired of going over the same thing this point has already been addressed.

Is this the thread asking for stress relief, ok Tarw if you need some it is really good to have some fitness regime, gym, zumba, boxercise, great relief. Just saying no offence meant.

Zara
29-06-2011, 22:36

Not taken as a dig Pablo as I agree with you, I use Mercadona in Cabo Blanco mainly and should I be there on a Mon, Wed or Friday and I need any cleaning produce (which are the only things I tend to buy there) then I will call into the British Warehouse, otherwise as you say it is too much messing about.

So did you enjoy it Zara. See much cheaper pastry 50c and 3 tins of meat 1euro massive pie, for 2 nights dinner.

No cheese, didn´t bake a pie as making the pastry would have been more expensive than the 'meat' :raspberry2: In fact I was really extravagant and threw the other two packets of dog food in the bin. But buying 200 doggy bags for €1 there is no excuse for anyone to leave their dog mess behind.

sunspot
29-06-2011, 23:51
For gods sake, Iceland, Mercadona and the British food warehouse are within 10 minutes drive from each other, are you mad? dont try to make it out to be such an ordeal,its that easy a baby could do it,or are you so lazy you dont like to shop around?

pablo1
29-06-2011, 23:53
For gods sake, Iceland, Mercadona and the British food warehouse are within 10 minutes drive from each other, are you mad? dont try to make it out to be such an ordeal,its that easy a baby could do it,or are you so lazy you dont like to shop around?

You glad you got that out your system?
As I pointed out, I wasn't having a dig, it just seemed like a tad out of your way to pick up certain items.
Don't let that get in the way of a good rant though.... :-)

sunspot
29-06-2011, 23:55
No problem Pablo, i just cant see how a morning out shopping at these places to get what you really want is so hard

pablo1
29-06-2011, 23:57
No problem Pablo, i just cant see how a morning out shopping at these places to get what you really want is so hard

I'm sure it isn't....if you have transport. :-)

YOUNG GOLFER
29-06-2011, 23:59
I am not one to takes sides but i don't care how far you have to drive to do the shopping.

After all it's a womans job not the mans:surrender::eyebrows:

sunspot
30-06-2011, 00:00
Very true but the thread does not state if your on holiday, i assume its for people who live here and how you can live here without a car is beyond me

Pooh
30-06-2011, 00:05
I am not one to takes sides but i don't care how far you have to drive to do the shopping.

Tell that to my wife... Unless it's clothes or diamonds, it isn't. :whistle:

pablo1
30-06-2011, 00:07
Very true but the thread does not state if your on holiday, i assume its for people who live here and how you can live here without a car is beyond me

I guess if you live in Callao it's more essential than other places, but that's another thread eh? Anyway, next time i'm over i'm going to do the run in between the 3 places, and if it's more than 10 mins I won't be happy!! :-)

sunspot
30-06-2011, 00:09

YG, you are so wrong, my hubby is the shopper...............i really hate it................your a little tinker at times

Zara
30-06-2011, 00:14

If you are on holiday there would probably be a totally different outcome, a large number of tourists tend to shop in the resorts or in small shops on the complex where they are staying so end up paying top dollar for most things.

Has anyone ever picked up a couple of bread rolls in the supermarket opposite PS3 - I nearly had a heart attack and had to get a mortgage to pay for them :whistle:

sunspot
30-06-2011, 00:19
If you are on holiday there would probably be a totally different outcome, a large number of tourists tend to shop in the resorts or in small shops on the complex where they are staying so end up paying top dollar for most things.

Has anyone ever picked up a couple of bread rolls in the supermarket opposite PS3 - I nearly had a heart attack and had to get a mortgage to pay for them :whistle:

No, but i got some loose ham locally and cost me 10 euros,nearly chock on the rolls........sooooooooo expensive

pablo1
30-06-2011, 00:23

I picked them up, but soon put the bloody things down again!! :-)

MaxineC
30-06-2011, 00:40
So nice to see you made a full recovery Max......:lol:

I think this constant pain in my stomach is putting a spring in my step... :D

But buying 200 doggy bags for €1 there is no excuse for anyone to leave their dog mess behind.

Stop talking so much crap Zara.... :raspberry2:

Tarw
30-06-2011, 10:56
What are u on about or have i missed something here. Stress what is Stress just a word to me and something for people to blame their incompitence on.
Is this the thread asking for stress relief, ok Tarw if you need some it is really good to have some fitness regime, gym, zumba, boxercise, great relief. Just saying no offence meant.

Suej
30-06-2011, 11:21
I was just interested Tarw is your avatar a raging bull?:)

Goforgold
30-06-2011, 15:57

A whole morning - too long!! :) :) :)

I was just interested Tarw is your avatar a raging bull?:)

It's all those hormones Suej!!!! :) :)

captain jack sparrow
02-07-2011, 20:46
With reference to the mercadona mentioned in some earlier posts, is this the supermarket under the shopping mall in san eugenio or is it a general term given to all supermarkets, Also, as i am staying in san eugenio, is this a cheap place for a weekly shop or would you advise a trip out of town. Thanks in advance.

Tom & Sharon
02-07-2011, 20:49
With reference to the mercadona mentioned in some earlier posts, is this the supermarket under the shopping mall in san eugenio or is it a general term given to all supermarkets, Also, as i am staying in san eugenio, is this a cheap place for a weekly shop or would you advise a trip out of town. Thanks in advance.

It's a chain of supermarkets. I would think the prices are the same in them all.

captain jack sparrow
02-07-2011, 20:53
It's a chain of supermarkets. I would think the prices are the same in them all.

is it a mercadona under the san eugenio shopping mall then T&S or some other chain ? also would you do a weekly shop there or is it ok just for essentials ?

AL JAY
02-07-2011, 21:01
The one at San Eugenio is a Mercadona and you can do a weekly shop there,its just like a supermarket in the UK,

tmfkahs
02-07-2011, 21:06
is it a mercadona under the san eugenio shopping mall then T&S or some other chain ? also would you do a weekly shop there or is it ok just for essentials ?

Yes it is part of the chain of supermarkets 'Mercadona' and if you are staying within walking distance, I would consider it the 'best' value you could find in that area.

dede
02-07-2011, 22:23
I wonder if Alcampo is any cheaper, i was up there today and some shoppers coming out couldnt push their baskets they were that full ??

Tom & Sharon
03-07-2011, 09:01
I wonder if Alcampo is any cheaper, i was up there today and some shoppers coming out couldnt push their baskets they were that full ??

Alcampo is a bit cheaper, and have a much bigger & better selection. It's the nearest thing to a "proper" supermarket!

captain jack sparrow
03-07-2011, 09:20
Alcampo is a bit cheaper, and have a much bigger & better selection. It's the nearest thing to a "proper" supermarket!

Where abouts is Alcampo ?

Tojack
03-07-2011, 09:45
In the north of the island............

captain jack sparrow
03-07-2011, 10:04
Cheers, just been looking on their home shopping web site, some things are similar to uk prices like a 1 ltr bottle of coke for e.g @ 1.00 euro, some other things like meat seem a bit more expensive, dont think it would warrant the expense in fuel to travel up from Las Americas to do a weekly shop though.

captain jack sparrow
03-07-2011, 10:13
My last post has apparently been to be sent to the mods for approval, Is Alcampo mafia run or something ? :surrender:

Zara
03-07-2011, 10:50

I don´t particularly like Alcampo, if I am going to the north then I prefer Carrefour but neither will save you money if you take the cost of getting there into account.

Jackie
03-07-2011, 11:06

I live here without a car and survive. I get a bus to Cabo Blanco and shop in Mercadona then a cab home, easy peasy. :)

No Dede they are probably lazy shoppers like me who only go once a month and end up with two trolley loads ;)

admin
22-08-2011, 12:05
My last post has apparently been to be sent to the mods for approval, Is Alcampo mafia run or something ? :surrender:No, it was probably due to you using an @ in your reply, which is something spammers do, so it was auto-moderated. ;)

Cheers, just been looking on their home shopping web site, some things are similar to uk prices like a 1 ltr bottle of coke for e.g @ 1.00 euro, some other things like meat seem a bit more expensive, dont think it would warrant the expense in fuel to travel up from Las Americas to do a weekly shop though.

JaBBa
28-05-2013, 16:28
Hi Everyone,

Can i bump this thread and have some input on latest prices on average food you use daily & best places to shop,also costs of eating & drinking out at present time.Hoping to be bouncing between los chris,playa de las americas,playa de santiago,los gigantes for a month or two...

Many Thanks

andy pandy
28-05-2013, 20:43
Just come back fro being in Tenerife one month and found it quite expensive. We were in Costa Del Silencio this time. We also found dairy produce more expensive then in the UK where we live. We shopped mainly in the Hiperdino but we were told the Mercado was better. Depending on what bar we went to the prices differed. Los Christanos along the front the restaurants there seemed to be competing with each other. The cheapest we saw for beer was 97 cents a pint and breakfast prices weren't too bad either. You have to shop around if you want the best prices. We didn't as we wanted to relax and enjoy the break. Hope this hepls.

JaBBa
28-05-2013, 20:49
Thanks for taking time for reply mate....:)

Sal
28-05-2013, 20:57
We have shopped at Hiperdino, Mercadonna, Netto and Dialaprix all of which are much cheaper than UK! Restaurants are cheaper too - absolutely no contest with UK!

marbro8
28-05-2013, 20:57
Hi Everyone,

Can i bump this thread and have some input on latest prices on average food you use daily & best places to shop,also costs of eating & drinking out at present time.Hoping to be bouncing between los chris,playa de las americas,playa de santiago,los gigantes for a month or two...

Many Thankswe have just got back from a 12 day break, we always take a couple of tins of salmon,corned beef,cornflakes and cheese with us,the fresh french sticks are lovely from the dialaprix(used to be spar on the cc passarella) as for meal prices the likes of taylors,manhattan,harvey's,shambles are all very much the same about €7 on average,if you do do any shopping then the mercadona in las americas is cheaper than the spa's but they don't tend to sell british products,the 97 cents a pint is a bit of a con because it is not actually a pint, and the bars along the front in los cris like miami put tax on it, and i was talking to someone the other day that said he could drink 30 glasses of it and still not get peed:laugh:, so you get what you pay for:wink2:

JaBBa
28-05-2013, 21:15
Thanks alot guys.....:thanx:

Tarw
28-06-2013, 16:50
My experience is the exact opposite to sal i find eggs, potatoes cheese meat sliced bread all much more expensive and around my way in Bridgend you can get 2 steak meals for £12 in torviscas area its around 8.50 euro so for me these days cheap Tenerife has long gone i now find UK cheaper. E.g my daughter now goes to Turkey cheaper AI than coming to Tenerife and staying in my apartment sc.
We have shopped at Hiperdino, Mercadonna, Netto and Dialaprix all of which are much cheaper than UK! Restaurants are cheaper too - absolutely no contest with UK!

Pooh
28-06-2013, 17:41
My experience is the exact opposite to sal i find eggs, potatoes cheese meat sliced bread all much more expensive and around my way in Bridgend you can get 2 steak meals for £12 in torviscas area its around 8.50 euro so for me these days cheap Tenerife has long gone i now find UK cheaper. E.g my daughter now goes to Turkey cheaper AI than coming to Tenerife and staying in my apartment sc.

I'm a bit curious about your arithmetic when you find €8.50 Euros to be more than £12?
€8.50 is about £7.25, which is about 40% less than £12... Is this some new implementation of "less is more"?

Red Devil
28-06-2013, 18:55
I'm a bit curious about your arithmetic when you find €8.50 Euros to be more than £12?
€8.50 is about £7.25, which is about 40% less than £12... Is this some new implementation of "less is more"?

I took it to mean he gets 2 meals for £12 in UK but in Tenerife he is paying around 8.50euro for one?

slodgedad
28-06-2013, 20:03
To eat and drink out in Tenerife is much cheaper.

To eat in drink in in the UK is cheaper. Simples

Rickiebear
28-06-2013, 20:27
Hi. Our experience is in Puerto, and usually Alcampo. I still think supermarket prices are cheaper in Tenerife, as long as you avoid UK brands. On the cheaper ranges I also think the quality is better than the UKs bargain ranges.

Likewise with meals out. We recently paid £12 each for a Chinese buffet in Bristol, we would pay 6€ for in Puerto. I can also have a great 3 course meal with a drink for 7€. I could not find that any where in Bristol.

slodgedad
28-06-2013, 20:56
Hi. Our experience is in Puerto, and usually Alcampo. I still think supermarket prices are cheaper in Tenerife, as long as you avoid UK brands. On the cheaper ranges I also think the quality is better than the UKs bargain ranges.

Likewise with meals out. We recently paid £12 each for a Chinese buffet in Bristol, we would pay 6€ for in Puerto. I can also have a great 3 course meal with a drink for 7€. I could not find that any where in Bristol.

Buying in food is more expensive here for restaurants than in the UK but labour costs are far lower.

cheery
29-06-2013, 10:29
Maybe Wal-Mart could "TRY" to infiltrate Spain and the Canarian Islands,and then Mercadona would have some serious competition:spin:

I think what you and others are forgetting is the fact that lots of stuff has to be imported as the Canary Islands are , well, islands. So when you compare a shop price it will be dearer than UK where a lot of goods can be made there or are at least imported in huge volumes to reduce the unit cost. Then, as has been pointed out, if you want someone to cook and serve it the lower labour costs takeover.

Obviously if you are in the food business (like me) these are the sort of things you take into account and not just the first price.

casabonny
29-06-2013, 22:10
We have recently been to Puerto de la Cruz and found eating out substancially cheaper thank the south as we're drinks.Two couple with four drinks in a four star hotel 8 euros, you would not get that I the South.
Generally here , even now after nearly 16 years I spend less per week on my shopping and we eat better. Fresh meat and poultry is much cheaper and tastes better.Vegs is more varied ( different to UK ) but locally produced and fresh.

Pooh
29-06-2013, 22:20
We have recently been to Puerto de la Cruz and found eating out substancially cheaper thank the south as we're drinks.Two couple with four drinks in a four star hotel 8 euros, you would not get that I the South.

Yes, I've found things very expensive when venturing down south... We usually shop at AlCampo, and while I can't really compare to UK prices, since I'm from Sweden (which is more expensive than UK, for sure), I find that we spend about 30% less on our weekly shopping here compared to what we did in Sweden, and in Sweden we were only 2 people, here we're 4, including our 4-year old son, and my mother-in-law.

slodgedad
30-06-2013, 01:22
Years ago it was substantially cheaper here than the UK and with normal inflation I assumed it still was after not being in the UK for a while.

But after visiting last year, especially with the exchange rate, I was gobsmacked how much cheaper ordinary must haves such as meat, vegetables and fruit are in the UK.

I've always said that if you smoke, drink and drive a car it is more than compensated for, but if you don't then the UK wins hands down

Rickiebear
30-06-2013, 05:10
Hi, although you can buy cheap meat, fruit and veg in the UK, you have to take the quality into account. The variety is also better. When I look around the municipal market in Puerto de la Cruz, there is a greater choice than in the largest UK supermarkets, potatoes for example.

kathml
30-06-2013, 12:33
Compared to the likes of tesco and Morrisons fruit and veg is pathetic here in Tenerife ESP variety and price on many items

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Compared to the likes of tesco and Morrisons fruit and veg is pathetic here in Tenerife ESP variety and price on many items

primrose
30-06-2013, 12:48
Hi, although you can buy cheap meat, fruit and veg in the UK, you have to take the quality into account. The variety is also better. When I look around the municipal market in Puerto de la Cruz, there is a greater choice than in the largest UK supermarkets, potatoes for example.

How on earth can you compare the price and choice of potatoes here in Tenerife to the UK, the choice in the UK especially new potatoes is way superior to Tenerife and the majority of the potatoes you buy here are imported from the UK.

dede
30-06-2013, 15:02
Well I'm back in the uk now and I find my weekly shop is loads cheaper than tenerife. And can I just say you can even get nice tasty bananas which I could never get over in tenerife even though they are grown over there... that just makes me laugh.

primrose
30-06-2013, 15:16
Well I'm back in the uk now and I find my weekly shop is loads cheaper than tenerife. And can I just say you can even get nice tasty bananas which I could never get over in tenerife even though they are grown over there... that just makes me laugh.

Been here 9 years and as I have said many times I have yet to find a good Banana.I still get my Emails 3 times a week from Aldi and I am amazed at how cheap things are in the UK. Nice to hear from you again dede.

YOUNG GOLFER
30-06-2013, 15:44
Well I have to say the price might be better in the uk when it comes to a weekly shop but I would rather pay a little more here and eat my food outside in the warmth of Tenerife.

melm
30-06-2013, 15:47
Been here 9 years and as I have said many times I have yet to find a good Banana.I still get my Emails 3 times a week from Aldi and I am amazed at how cheap things are in the UK. Nice to hear from you again dede.

Glad i am not the only one who has never found a good banana in Tenerife. thought it was just me:bowdown:

dede
30-06-2013, 17:29

Thanks for that Primrose, I have to say its been the best move we have made, so much more to do, hence why im not on here much ... I never realised just how much I was missing out on for the last ten years that we lived in Tenerife, I absolutely love it here and we have both slotted back into employment doing what we want to do for a living and not just what brings the money in..... hope you and hubby are well Primrose .xx

Tom & Sharon
30-06-2013, 17:46
Much as I love Tenerife, and I really do, the food you can buy in Tenerife (compared to the UK) is absolutely crap.
The food that is available in the UK is amazing. It is sourced worldwide, and is the best of everything.
Yes, in Tenerife you can buy a bit of fresh fish in the markets, and there's the farmers market for veg, but compared to what's available to buy in the UK, it's garbage. Last summer in the farmers market, there wasn't a single potato to be had. Ridiculous! Compare that to a gorgeous Jersey Royal!

Price wise, quality for quality, I think it's much of a muchness. Availability wise, there's no comparison. UK wins every time!

primrose
30-06-2013, 17:50
Thanks for that Primrose, I have to say its been the best move we have made, so much more to do, hence why im not on here much ... I never realised just how much I was missing out on for the last ten years that we lived in Tenerife, I absolutely love it here and we have both slotted back into employment doing what we want to do for a living and not just what brings the money in..... hope you and hubby are well Primrose .xx

So glad everything has worked out for you and you are enjoying your new life.We are both well thanks.

mike in chayofa
30-06-2013, 18:28
.....Price wise, quality for quality, I think it's much of a muchness. Availability wise, there's no comparison. UK wins every time!

Yep re UK availability ... but 'price wise' I'm not too sure :whistle:

I decided to treat myself to some fresh raspberries the other day, you can't often get them. They were very nice, but at over 30€ a kilo, they ought to be!!!

Tickey
30-06-2013, 19:31
Do we really care where it's cheaper? :whistle:

YOUNG GOLFER
30-06-2013, 19:40
Do we really care where it's cheaper? :whistle:

I agree not a big enough reason to either move here or move back to the uk in my eyes just because of the price of food. Most things might be more expensive here but for me Tenerife has a much better lifestyle..........Hence why so many of us live here.

Tickey
30-06-2013, 19:44
Add your heating bill to the grocery bill and it's a no brainer really :doh: