PDA

View Full Version : Feral Cats in Tenerife

Sal
24-06-2011, 18:59
Over the years we have been holidaying in Tenerife, the feral cat problem seemed to be diminishing and many (if not all) of the cats still living wild seemed to have been neutered and had a clipped ear.

However this year, staying at El Mirador we noticed a beautiful cat moving her kitten from one part of the gardens to another. After a few days we noticed quite a lot of cats on the complex - none of them with clipped ears. We again saw the Mother cat which was a creamy colour with beautiful bright blue eyes. She was watching over her five kittens as they played in the shrubbery while the sun went down. They were all quite beautiful and healthy looking too, and they entertained us for some time with their playful kitten antics.
Although it was all enchanting to watch it makes me worry about the future of these kittens and their kittens too etc.

Has the sterilization program been scaled down?

slodgedad
24-06-2011, 19:28
Over the years we have been holidaying in Tenerife, the feral cat problem seemed to be diminishing and many (if not all) of the cats still living wild seemed to have been neutered and had a clipped ear.

However this year, staying at El Mirador we noticed a beautiful cat moving her kitten from one part of the gardens to another. After a few days we noticed quite a lot of cats on the complex - none of them with clipped ears. We again saw the Mother cat which was a creamy colour with beautiful bright blue eyes. She was watching over her five kittens as they played in the shrubbery while the sun went down. They were all quite beautiful and healthy looking too, and they entertained us for some time with their playful kitten antics.
Although it was all enchanting to watch it makes me worry about the future of these kittens and their kittens too etc.

Has the sterilization program been scaled down?

If you have been reading the threads on this you would know that it has defo not been scaled down.

All the work is done by volunteer catchers, transporters and vets.

Without such volunteers the problem would have been 90s scale.

I tip mt hay, especially to Forum members who are involved, to anyone that takes the time to help.

Remember the cost of all that's done has to be covered by donation, as is the RSPCA in the UK

YOUNG GOLFER
24-06-2011, 20:25
Think alot of the help with these cats have come from members such as DJD to name but a few...they have all done a great job.

Sal
24-06-2011, 20:27
As El Mirador is a "secure" residential complex there is no way these volunteers could round up these cats and kittens. Such a shame as they are beautiful, healthy looking animals right now, but as the generations carry on..............???

YOUNG GOLFER
24-06-2011, 20:30
Have to say i was please to see a cat with his ear clipped today and this was near Adeje when i was taking some clients around....

Nice to see it is making a BIG diference.

warmwind
24-06-2011, 21:04
Hi Sal,

Check out DJ website Cats Aid (http://www.cats-aid.com) - DJ recently helped a friend of mine get a stray cat castrated, my friend has since adopted the cat - which is a nice happy tale, thanks to DJ :)

Sal
24-06-2011, 21:32
Have to say i was please to see a cat with his ear clipped today and this was near Adeje when i was taking some clints around....

Nice to see it is making a BIG diference.

It is making a huge difference and well done to all the volunteers who help to stop the disease and interbreeding with these unfortunate animals. :angel: