PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Rental Living away from the coast

joe552
07-11-2017, 21:03
Hi guys, I haven't been here for a while, but retirement age is approaching (too slowly for my liking). I've been holidaying in Tenerife for many years, but always on the coast. If I were to retire there, as is the plan, I'd be happy to live in a small town or village, maybe half an hour by bus from the coast. I'd only need a studio/one bed apartment with a balcony (essential - part of the dream). A few bars and restaurants. I'm a creature of habit, so tend to visit the same places ever day and quickly become a regular.

So any suggestions as to where I might be looking? Thanks for any advice.

Joe

Liftman
07-11-2017, 22:56
I would have loved to live in El Escobonal, But the other half couldn't cope with being that far from the sea. It's lovely.

joe552
08-11-2017, 00:09
I think I have to agree with your other half - looks a bit too remote for me. I don't drive, so I'd be dependent on public transport. I'd like to be in a small town.

Steve56
08-11-2017, 21:57
Hi Joe, you may wish to consider Adeje town, the municipal town of Costa Adeje. The town is a Spanish working town with many restaurants and bars. It is also only 4km to the coast and lots of busses pass through to all locations throughout Cost Adeje and also Los Christian's. Well worth consideration.

joe552
08-11-2017, 22:48
Thanks Steve - I'll certainly check that out.

delderek
08-11-2017, 22:53
Only one thing I would say is. Do not go too far from the coast. The winter climate may be different to what you expect.

Steve56
09-11-2017, 00:24
Oh, forgot to mention,, if you have the Adeje Chicken at Restaurant Oasis you won't want to be anywhere else :flatcap: the

joe552
09-11-2017, 05:46
Thanks, delderek - good advice. I've had a look at a few apartments/studios in Adeje, and rents are a bit higher than I was hoping for - which is something under €500 a month. But I'll keep looking around.

delderek
09-11-2017, 10:58
Have a look at Callao Salvaje. Not to everybodys taste, but I think it's fine, and more Sun than most areas.

joe552
09-11-2017, 11:06
Thanks, delderek, I'll certainly check it out.

delderek
09-11-2017, 11:46
You might find these sites useful.

https://www.idealista.com/en/
https://www.fotocasa.es/en/

joe552
09-11-2017, 12:45
Thanks delderek, you're being very helpful. I've always stayed in Los Cristianos or Las Americas, so am clueless about other areas. I'll have a look at those sites. I appreciate your time.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Hi delderek, I've checked the first of those sites and came across a studio in Valle San Lorenzo, Arona, for €360 a month. Why do you think it's so cheap? I've no idea where this place is, btw.

delderek
09-11-2017, 17:12
Prices will be cheaper, it is away from the coast and mainly residential. You may have trouble finding something that suits your needs, i.e a reasonable size terrace, or any terrace. Google Earth is probably your best bet, it should give you a feel of different areas.

joe552
09-11-2017, 19:21
looks to be quite a way from the coast. I'll keep looking

Arona1
09-11-2017, 19:32
Valle San Lorenzo is less than 30 mins on the bus

joe552
09-11-2017, 19:43
Thanks Arona1, that sounds good. I wouldn't mind that at all

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Would I be right in thinking that a place like Valle San Lorenzo would have a couple of bars and restaurants, and a supermarket? On my next holiday I plan to take a couple of bus trips away from the coast and do some exploring.

Arona1
09-11-2017, 20:32
Lots of bars, restaurants and supermarkets in VSL

joe552
09-11-2017, 20:43
Great, Arona1, thanks.

Liftman
09-11-2017, 23:25
You could always look at El Medano. A resort, but Spanish not touristy. Bars and restaurants, supermarkets, and some of the best watersports in the world. But be warned, it is windy.

joe552
10-11-2017, 09:39
Thanks Liftman. My brother's actually been to El Medano on holiday. He loved it, but like you say, it's windy. But worth a look

Red Devil
17-12-2017, 10:36
What about Chayofa? 15 mins from Los Cris, bus route, couple of bars/tapas places, I always think it has a nice feel to it.
Or Alcala or San Juan, further up the coast towards Los Gigantes

joe552
17-12-2017, 11:39
I'll certainly have a look there, Red Devil, thanks.

delderek
17-12-2017, 18:53
San Juan, agree. Chayofa, nice place, but high altitude, so don't expect the sunbathing temperatures, you get down on the coast in the winter. Chayofa is around 300mts. it will be 3 degrees cooler. (1 degree C per 100 meter is the recognised temp drop calculation). Nice in the summer, but winter?

joe552
17-12-2017, 19:10
That's definitely worth considering. I'm going there to be warm in winter. Thanks for the information.

Tony the Welder
18-12-2017, 08:44
Hi guys, I haven't been here for a while, but retirement age is approaching (too slowly for my liking). I've been holidaying in Tenerife for many years, but always on the coast. If I were to retire there, as is the plan, I'd be happy to live in a small town or village, maybe half an hour by bus from the coast. I'd only need a studio/one bed apartment with a balcony (essential - part of the dream). A few bars and restaurants. I'm a creature of habit, so tend to visit the same places ever day and quickly become a regular.

So any suggestions as to where I might be looking? Thanks for any advice.

Joe

morning joe i like adeje but would not like to live there a bit to hilly for me, maby costa del silencio mostly residencial rents not to bad , nice and flat ie no hills ,close to the sea no need to learn spanish straight away , remember the farther in land you go less english is spoken , restaurants , bars , good bus service , very close to las galletas maby 30min to los criss , las americas on the bus , but i would recommend coming over on a holiday maybe hire a car and see where you like ,

joe552
18-12-2017, 09:06
Thanks Tony. I plan to take at least a week at some point to do day trips to the various places that have been recommended. I don't drive so would be reliant on the bus, but I don't mind that. Costa del Silencio was actually on my list, so thanks for confirming it for me. My plan would be to rent a place for maybe 3 months to get some sense of the place. If I like it, I'll stay. If not, I can move on. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Regards, Joe