PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted on Importing a car from the UK to Tenerife

tracey_in_tenerife
24-06-2011, 20:44
I am going to buy a left hand drive to bring over to tenerife
It already has a spanish number plate, no tax and has just been mot'd in england , i dont know whether it has a itv, i will find that out tommorow

They are hanging fire on putting it on english plates until i go view it tommorow, if i want it, it is going to stay on spanish plates

I am unsure of the " 6 month rule" on importing cars, will i have to leave it in england for 6 months, has anyone bought a car and shipped it straight over without having owned it for 6 months? what was the consequences?

Anyone know of any companies that can help me out on shipping it?

Greg
24-06-2011, 21:09
You can buy it and bring it over, you are not importing it if it already has Spanish plates on. I drove down last week and had a great time. I stopped in Biaritz, Seville and Huelga where I caught the Armas ferry. Make sure you have a copy of the present owners N.I.E. Trying to change ownership without this is a tad tricky! Enjoy your new toy!

slodgedad
24-06-2011, 21:21
I am going to buy a left hand drive to bring over to tenerife
It already has a spanish number plate, no tax and has just been mot'd in england , i dont know whether it has a itv, i will find that out tommorow

They are hanging fire on putting it on english plates until i go view it tommorow, if i want it, it is going to stay on spanish plates

I am unsure of the " 6 month rule" on importing cars, will i have to leave it in england for 6 months, has anyone bought a car and shipped it straight over without having owned it for 6 months? what was the consequences?

Anyone know of any companies that can help me out on shipping it?

THE most important thing as Greg has said is proof of sale (Copies of everything to do with the car etc)

atlantico
25-06-2011, 10:25
and check no money is owing on the car.

Someone also said that a Spanish mainland car is the same as any other EU car, it still has to be imported into Tenerife and taxes paid - google it, as I think the laws may have changed and you could get stung.

que CASABONNY

coffee
25-06-2011, 11:14
. I drove down last week and had a great time. I stopped in Biaritz, Seville and Huelga where I caught the Armas ferry.

Can you give a rough figure of how much it cost to get your car from the uk to tenerife?

Greg
25-06-2011, 11:53
ferry uk-France, £25. Petrol and tolls, £350. Ferry Huelva-Sants Cruz, 350€. Four star hotel in Baritz for one night £70, Four star hotel in Seville two nights £210 and one night in a four star hotel in Huelva was £105. Obviously you can tailor your hotel expenses according to your budget, you could even take a tent and do stop offs at the hundreds of free camp sites by the sides of the French and Spanish motorways. I did the trip as a holiday rather than just for the purpose of bringing the car over so I wasn't too concerned about expenses. I can really recommend going via Seville. It's the most Spanish of all the Spanish cities of been to. Biaritz was worh a look but only for a night. Huelva not so much, if I did it again I would arrive the morning of the ferry.
F.Y.O. I brought a car from Madrid on Spanish plates a few years ago and never paid any import taxes. I just registered it in my name as usual and paid the regular yearly tax with no problem. You may want to check if this has changed in recent years though. If you PM me I will send you the number of the person doing my matriculation for me.

coffee
25-06-2011, 13:33
thanks for all the info. Im considering living on tenerife temporarily for 3 months, so ive a return journey to consider as well - hiring a car looks to be cheaper. Both are expensive tho, ive had a quote of around 500 euro a month for car hire which isn't too far off what I'd be paying to rent an apartment. Seems living there for a shortish stint of 3 months and having the use of a car isn't cheap.

universal
25-06-2011, 13:47
In answer to op's question on the six month rule, if you have not had the car in your name for at least six months then duty will be payable upon entry (if shipped) as opposed to when rematriculated.
However if the op is driving down and using one of the ferries there is no requirement to make a customs declaration so you may get away with driving it in and just paying transfer tax at trafico.

sundownersvince
25-06-2011, 15:28
Start a new thread 'Long term car rental required', see what comes up.

TIS
25-06-2011, 16:20
THE most important thing as Greg has said is proof of sale (Copies of everything to do with the car etc)
And copies of the details/id of previous owner.

lesbroz
28-02-2012, 20:45
Is it necessary to be resident in Tenerife in order to import a car from the UK? It is my understanding from research, that a empadronamiento is required not just an NIE. Can anyone confirm?

Thank you

Greg
29-02-2012, 00:55
All you need is an N.I.E. It is easier if you have owned the car for six months but if it's not a newish car then the tax isn't too bad. As I mentioned in an earlier post if you pm me I will give you the details of the person that has done my cars. She arranges everything and only charges 85€ fee payable when you get your Spanish plates.