PDA

View Full Version : Internet Neighbors prevented me getting fiber-optic Internet

Christianb
23-11-2017, 20:12
I recently ordered an upgrade of my ADLS line into the fiber-optic one. As in many old streets here in Tenerife the telephone cables hang over the front walls of the houses.
When the Moviestar engineer came to install it, he went round and asked each neighbor for a permission to place one more line/cable on the existing lot. And guess what, two neighbors down the line declined to give permission, because they said there were already too many cables on their house and it looked ugly. So that is it, the engineer could not do it, and said they would look into it. That was eight days ago, have not herd from them since....

The Spanish neighbor next to me already has fiber Internet and I gave a permission that his cable could pass over my wall several months ago, but not the same luck for me, it seems. :(
Can my neighbor's fiber cable be split by a splitter/switch/hub so we both can use it? I have no idea what can be done, but I do need faster upload speed for my home-based job.

doncarlos
24-11-2017, 06:02
No, you cannot share the fibre as you have described but, when they install fibre, they actually replace the existing copper cable with a fibre. So, in essence, the number of cables installed should remain the same.

Christianb
24-11-2017, 13:05
Thank you for the reply. I think they want to keep the old one for the future tenants, plus they work the minimum they have to. What I don't understand why should they ask a permission for each new tiny cable when there are already so many. Unless I negotiate with the neighbors or find another connection point, I may need to wait for G5!

9PLUS
25-11-2017, 09:12
Good Christian

I would like to see the wall you refer to, could you post pictures or pm me some?