PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about "cash in hand cowboys" in Tenerife?

kangnkodos
25-06-2011, 16:49
is it just me or is anybody else just about sick to the back teeth of these illegal cowboy builders.it seems to be the norm here that when these people hit the tarmac at reina sofia airport they miraculously turn in to a chef,a sales guru,a profesional singer and of course a time served master builder.and even more amazingly british ex pats actually hand over cash deposits and property keys to these blaggers without even asking for a copy of residencia,let alone proof of business,social security,insurance cover etc.how many horror stories do people have to hear before taking action to prevent becoming a victim themselves.not only are these self proclaimed BUILDERS putting real tradesmen out of work,but they are leaving trails of destruction all over this island as well as ripping off their own kind.i could tell so many horror stories that would curl your toenails.....has anyone else got any?

KirstyJay
25-06-2011, 16:57
On a similar note, I also object to legal businesses taking on chefs, waiters, builders, etc and not giving them proper contracts so they save on tax.

They are just as bad in my opinion.

atlantico
25-06-2011, 18:04
and it's equally the same in UK !!

Harmonicaman
25-06-2011, 18:27
and it's equally the same in UK !!

............................ lol.:lol:

doreen
25-06-2011, 19:00
On a similar note, I also object to legal businesses taking on chefs, waiters, builders, etc and not giving them proper contracts so they save on tax.

They are just as bad in my opinion.

And the further problem being that bar owners who try to be legal and treat their staff well, have additional costs they cannot pass on or the customers will up and go to the next bar along the road - lose/lose

caroletenerife
25-06-2011, 19:01
My landlord sends round a Spanish guy, who is supposed to be a plumber, builder, electrician ,yehh right. One time he put so much acid down the sink to unblock it, the WHOLE plumbning fell off....anything he has done, i have had to fix it again myself after he has gone....and Im a girlie x

9PLUS
25-06-2011, 19:13
i could tell so many horror stories that would curl your toenails.....has anyone else got any?

Would you be able to start us off with ONE of your own?

YOUNG GOLFER
25-06-2011, 19:15
Well it is a shame that some people are ripped off by cowboys ....but some people can only blame themselves.

Some people are looking at saving a few quid by doing it on the cheap... i have many times given contacts of builders i know who do pay their dues taxes ect....just for them not to get the job.

Instead it will be john and sue smith who live here clean a few apartments, rent out a few, do lots and lots of taxi runs to the airport and of course john is a builder too.

But why don't people instead of looking for ex brits to do the work who work on the side...look for local builders canarians ect.

I dont feel sorry for anyone who pays a cowboy cash and after it all goes wrong.

At the end of the day you pay for what you get.

penelope pitstop
25-06-2011, 19:16
The problem over there is that a lot of employers pay their staff partly in 'black money' on a contract (if you can get one) that has fiddled hours on it as it costs them less to do it that way!
Do they ever ask for references &/or proof of qualifications?

penelope pitstop

mike in chayofa
25-06-2011, 19:28
.....But why don't people instead of looking for ex brits to do the work who work on the side...look for local builders canarians ect.

In my experience, they are just as bad

Yes but I have often found out that you don't get what you pay for ... and pay ... and pay ...

... and by the time that you realise that although the job appears to be OK, and isn't, they aren't interested

TIS
25-06-2011, 19:31
My landlord sends round a Spanish guy, who is supposed to be a plumber, builder, electrician ,yehh right. One time he put so much acid down the sink to unblock it, the WHOLE plumbning fell off....anything he has done, i have had to fix it again myself after he has gone....and Im a girlie x

Sounds like you are better qualified for it now!

Added after 5 minutes:

Well it is a shame that some people are ripped off by cowboys ....but some people can only blame themselves.

Some people are looking at saving a few quid by doing it on the cheap... i have many times given contacts of builders i know who do pay their dues taxes ect....just for them not to get the job.

Instead it will be john and sue smith who live here clean a few apartments, rent out a few, do lots and lots of taxi runs to the airport and of course john is a builder too.

But why don't people instead of looking for ex brits to do the work who work on the side...look for local builders canarians ect.

Because they don't speak the language.

Also the cowboy builders are sometimes not identified until a few years later. Only then does the poor quality of the work become apparent and by this time they have either left the island, changed their "trading Name" etc. or that you'd be tied up in court for 4 years or more with a weak case against them even if you know where they are.

Verbal recommendations and proof of how long they have been here is no guarantee either and there is no web site to list these cowboys.

Cruise
25-06-2011, 19:41

I dont feel sorry for anyone who pays a cowboy cash and after it all goes wrong.

Some of these people advertise here...and accidents do happen.....all of a sudden they refuse to use their insurance....probably because they never had one in the 1st place.....and others over price you and then refuse to give you a receipt....oh I forgot it... and then leave their rubbish bag behind...and you can see they bought it from the chinese shop for under 20E, but said they had a reciept for 80E, and then made you feel threatened , in front of your child....and shout...and refuse to leave....until you pay... oh and they have websites saying they are all legal.....very funny how most people refuse to recommend nowadays as they have paid just for peace and want no war on this forum against their 10 users...probably and normally all theirs... or their family...... Yes I paid....but never recommend them......

redarrow
25-06-2011, 19:43
Why are picking on Tenerife? This goes on all over the place.

The problem over there is that a lot of employers pay their staff partly in 'black money' on a contract (if you can get one) that has fiddled hours on it as it costs them less to do it that way!
Do they ever ask for references &/or proof of qualifications?

penelope pitstop

There are other loopholes that people use. Most cabaret performers on the island are self employed, but if they're with an agent, they can pay their social security as an employee with them and reduce the payments (correct me if I'm wrong). Makes economic sense to me, and when you think of the tax fiddles that go on with the uber rich, it's a drop in the ocean.

Even some qualified builders/tradesman are rubbish. Best way to find a good tradesman is through someone who's used them before and been happy with the product. Basically, references.

mike in chayofa
25-06-2011, 19:48
.....Even some qualified builders/tradesman are rubbish. Best way to find a good tradesman is through someone who's used them before and been happy with the product. Basically, references.

The problem is that it can sometimes take years before the defective workmanship is apparent. In the meantime, you could be recommending a company because the job appeared to be good on the surface and at the time of completion

gary d
25-06-2011, 19:55
seem to be plenty of cowboys and not many indians.sorry about that but on a serious note this happens everywhere.everyone likes to save a few quid nowadays but recomendations is always the way forward.i dont mind paying a bit extra for someone i know is going to do a quality job.nothing worse than cowboys and i am in the buisness myself

ddoyle
25-06-2011, 20:37
Lets not forget the Cowgirls, there one or two I had encounters with that would scalp you better than any Indian, you know who you are.;)

tonypub
25-06-2011, 21:09
people should do it with pride:hello:http://www.pridebuilding.com/

kitty
25-06-2011, 21:26
Even some qualified builders/tradesman are rubbish.

I agree... :mad:

Sundowner
25-06-2011, 21:45
I have read this thread with horror, as I have been looking for someone to do work at my apartment in Tenerife. I always wanted to use local tradesmen to do the work.............but having read this thread, I will use people I know in London.
Yes there are plenty of rip off merchants in London as well :) But I know the good guy's here and also know that they are more than happy to go to Tenerife to do a bit of work.

marbro8
25-06-2011, 22:54
talking about employing cheap labour ie chefs, we went to the cosey cafe where the old man used to stand at the bottom of the steps at the back of the gran tinerife, and i thought i will have a great british bacon sandwich, when it came it was awfull!!! i took it back to complain and was confronted by what looked like a looky looky man that could not speak a word of english and had probably never seen a bacon sandwich before he came to tenerife!! why bother setting on chefs that are going to let your BRITISH cafe down? because they are cheap thats why???

Jenny10
26-06-2011, 00:20
It's too easy to be ripped off by cowboy builders - especially being new here and not knowing people/practises etc. We needed roofing work done in a hurry after buying a property with a leaky roof. We trusted the 'builder' we chose, especially as there was a 20 year guarantee. What a joke - it didn't last 20 days! The roof is worse now than it was before he started (leaks in all 8 rooms instead of the original 2), and he just doesn't want to know. He didn't even have the decency to come to see what the problem was, and offered us an insulting 300 euros as compensation, even though the whole roof now needs to be redone. We cannot name names here as we are taking legal action against him, but if anyone wants to know, please pm me.

tonypub
26-06-2011, 03:28
talking about employing cheap labour ie chefs, we went to the cosey cafe where the old man used to stand at the bottom of the steps at the back of the gran tinerife, and i thought i will have a great british bacon sandwich, when it came it was awfull!!! i took it back to complain and was confronted by what looked like a looky looky man that could not speak a word of english and had probably never seen a bacon sandwich before he came to tenerife!! why bother setting on chefs that are going to let your BRITISH cafe down? because they are cheap thats why???muslim chefs n bacon sarnies dont go

Balcony
26-06-2011, 07:00
I think the average person really doesn't feel any need to make enquiries about the bona fides of builers etc. There seems an assumption that they are what/who they say they are. I began to worry about the true competence of someone who has done work at our apartment in our absence (through a friend). For the most part things were OK, but you see signs of jobs not really done right. I was there one time and my friend got him in for me and I was just curious about his 'tool kit' which seemed to consist of a pretty old electric drill and a box with not so many tools, but tools well rusted with a rather sad search for plugs OK old tool, well, we all got old tools, but this was just drilling holes for a wooden curtain rod. Mmmm, thinks me, as the first attempt at hanging the curtain resulted in the fixing coming adrift off the wall and there followed another search for a better plus for the screw fixing!

OK, it was fine in the end, but don't you expect a builder/handyman to just have the things available readily that might be needed?

Why did I use him when I have a drill there at the apartment? Well, that time I was on holiday and didn't want to be doing any DIY. Same trip I had a plumber out 3 times! Well, at least the loo stopped dripping in the end.

Like a lot of people, I guess finding a competent person is always difficult. As at home, many are here today gone tomorrow, for whatever reason. You ask around, sure, but this was same risk of not getting the 'right' person.

tracey
26-06-2011, 07:56

Do you have the landlord as me!? lol

Angusjim
26-06-2011, 08:22

So all Canarian builders are great and don't take cash give me a break if Spain,Portugal & Greece did not have the biggest black economies in Europe their governments would be a lot better off. Example got in a taxi couple of weeks ago in Murcia and got chatting to the Spanish driver he was complaining about lack of business asked me what I did told him I run an electrical business he fired right back " ah good plenty black money "

9PLUS
26-06-2011, 08:24
It's too easy to be ripped off by cowboy builders - especially being new here and not knowing people/practises etc. We needed roofing work done in a hurry after buying a property with a leaky roof. We trusted the 'builder' we chose, especially as there was a 20 year guarantee. What a joke - it didn't last 20 days! The roof is worse now than it was before he started (leaks in all 8 rooms instead of the original 2), and he just doesn't want to know. He didn't even have the decency to come to see what the problem was, and offered us an insulting 300 euros as compensation, even though the whole roof now needs to be redone. We cannot name names here as we are taking legal action against him, but if anyone wants to know, please pm me.

Is that Kenbo's wife ?

AL JAY
26-06-2011, 08:25
So all Canarian builders are great and don't take cash give me a break if Spain,Portugal & Greece did not have the biggest black economies in Europe their governments would a lot better off. Example got in a taxi couple of weeks ago and got chatting to the Spanish driver he was complaining about lack of business asked me what I did told him I run an electrical business he fired right back " ah good plenty black money "

Did he take you OHM.....:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::su rrender:

Angusjim
26-06-2011, 09:26
Did he take you OHM.....:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::su rrender:

AL I guess you are being rude but what does OHM mean???

Harmonicaman
26-06-2011, 09:32
AL I guess you are being rude but what does OHM mean???
OHM= Unit of electrical resistance. 'Ome = Home!

AL JAY
26-06-2011, 09:33
Not at all Jim, its an electrical term, resistance etc, it was a "pun" for home!:D

Harmonicaman
26-06-2011, 09:34

Yeah, but you're a Scottish girlie and they are worth 3 normal girlies!:eyebrows:

Angusjim
26-06-2011, 09:35
OHM= Unit of electrical resistance. 'Ome = Home!

Ah as in Ohm's law guess I should have known that but I have only been in the electrical industry for 40 years so still a lot to learn :ashamed::spin:

Loaded
26-06-2011, 09:38
You'd think he'd have got that without an explanation....

Angusjim
26-06-2011, 09:44
You'd think he'd have got that without an explanation....

It's an age thing it will happen to you one day you young wipper snapper:crazy:

jmcd
26-06-2011, 10:02
WORD OF MOUTH

Finding good tradesmen can often be best done by having them reccommended to you by a friend who has already used them.

Also, you could look in 'Orange Pages'.

I wouldn't think that a cowboy would be bothered to advertise in a directory.
I might be wrong, but I think you'd be a little more confident if they had taken the time to advertise in a yearly directory rather than a weekly paper.

Harmonicaman
26-06-2011, 10:08
WORD OF MOUTH

Finding good tradesmen can often be best done by having them reccommended to you by a friend who has already used them.

I might be wrong, but I think you'd be a little more confident if they had taken the time to advertise in a yearly directory rather than a weekly paper.

"Orange Pages"? Those are cowboy pages just trying to copy Yellow Pages!:eyebrows:

Tony the Welder
26-06-2011, 10:10
people normaly go on word of mouth and get a legal craftsman to do the jod but a few go for some one who is afew euro cheeper so the legal craftsman is finding it hard with all is overheads ie taxs social and legal premisas and the cowboys are laughing when the job goes wrong i laugh

Angusjim
26-06-2011, 11:16
And the further problem being that bar owners who try to be legal and treat their staff well, have additional costs they cannot pass on or the customers will up and go to the next bar along the road - lose/lose

According to what i hear it is common practice in Tenerife to pay staff half legal half cash but maybe thats only a rumour:run:

jmcd
26-06-2011, 11:33
"Orange Pages"? Those are cowboy pages just trying to copy Yellow Pages!:eyebrows:

That's quite an accusation Harmonicaman!!!

Do you have any proof of this???

I'll tell you why I ask......

Orange pages is owned my very close friends who are the most honest of people.

They are fully registered and legal and work very hard on producing this directory.

They are absolutely NOT cowboys, and unless you have some actual eveidence of them being cowboys, I would respectfully ask you to retract your comment, please.

It may be more beneficial to the forum if you have had some experience of TRUE cowboys with some evidence to back that up, such as shoddy work they have done for you.

Thank you

YOUNG GOLFER
26-06-2011, 11:43
One owner of a property asked me if i could give a number of a builder here in Tenerife that was British so i gave here two numbers...a couple of weeks down the line she told me she has managed to find a guy herself(who i know) who was 1000€ cheaper.
She wanted the whole apartment tiled through,new bathroom suit and painted throughout...so i good size job.

The guy who has done the job has been paid in black..........now the only reason she picked him was because he was cheaper.
Which is what 9/10 people will do....to save money.

So what can you do about it it is very hard for a Builder who pays his dues to match the price of one who is not paying nothing.

Now this is not the first time this guy or many other builders(i bet) that have been undercut by someone working for cash...

You will find people will use proper builders to get in as many quotes as possible only to go to someone who will do it on the cheap.....which to be fair takes the p..s....so from now on he charges for his time to come out and his time to give a quote....which in his eyes means at least he is getting something for his time.

TIS
26-06-2011, 11:43
WORD OF MOUTH

I think you miss the point. the best "cowboys" are the most brazen - advertising that they ahve been in bsiness for years etc etc. That's what makes it so difficult to ensure one doesn't get caught out.

Harmonicaman
26-06-2011, 11:50

They are fully registered and legal and work very hard on producing this directory.

They are absolutely NOT cowboys, and unless you have some actual eveidence of them being cowboys, I would respectfully ask you to retract your comment, please.

It may be more beneficial to the forum if you have had some experience of TRUE cowboys with some evidence to back that up, such as shoddy work they have done for you.

Thank you

Lighten up jmcd! Didn't you notice the wee smilie at the end of my post? It's a play on words of the title of this thread, i.e. "cowboy" workers. I attempted to make a joke round that, but obviously you took it a lot more seriously than intended. I therefore retract the joke I made and apologise most profusely to all the orange people concerned. A sense of humour goes a long way on this forum.

jmcd
26-06-2011, 11:58
Thank you Harmonicaman I accept your apology

9PLUS
26-06-2011, 11:58
A sense of humour goes a long way on this forum.

You'll be leaving soon then........................dear?

x

Harmonicaman
26-06-2011, 11:59
You'll be leaving soon then........................dear?

x

pffft!....

Angusjim
26-06-2011, 12:00

Thank you

And to balance this up stories about cowboy customers who rip off companies

9PLUS
26-06-2011, 12:01
see ya

x

howard thornton
26-06-2011, 12:22
Lighten up jmcd! Didn't you notice the wee smilie at the end of my post? It's a play on words of the title of this thread, i.e. "cowboy" workers. I attempted to make a joke round that, but obviously you took it a lot more seriously than intended. I therefore retract the joke I made and apologise most profusely to all the orange people concerned. A sense of humour goes a long way on this forum.

not with some of our younger members,what the hell are they going to be like when they are coffin dodgers?

Jenny10
26-06-2011, 13:19
Is that Kenbo's wife ?

Yep. And I'm afraid I did the girlie thing when my roof thought it was a sieve - I cried. :cry:

9PLUS
26-06-2011, 13:28
Yep. And I'm afraid I did the girlie thing when my roof thought it was a sieve - I cried. :cry:

I dont know why but i read your post and just thought that you must be his wife, it's an electrician thing. sometimes known as the way of the Jedi

So you have decided to take your builder to count, if they are builders and have done something not to the standard why on earth can't they not just fix it?

atlantico
26-06-2011, 14:01
what about the rip-off cowboys who charge EXCESSIVE amounts for work ?

I've come across a few who say they are SO legal and professional and qualified that they couldn't do it any cheaper - but unknowing to them, I have a Building/Construction degree, and a few choice questions soon catches them out !

They are the real ones to watch out for - as they can do poor work, do a runner AND charge double for the privilege !!

caroletenerife
26-06-2011, 14:14
Yeah, but you're a Scottish girlie and they are worth 3 normal girlies!:eyebrows:
Tis true...the best one was when he came to fit new shower doors. So obviously he stood inside on the plastic shower tray with his WORK BOOTS ON (as you do)and caused a big crack in bottom of tray!!!!. Unfortunatley he didnt speak English so couldnt understand me as I stood there shaking my head saying 'what are you doing you complete moron'. He covered the crack with the bath mat and off he toddled with a smile and an adios!!!!! Told the Landlord and he said' he wouldnt do that, hes not a complete idiot'....REALLY:doh::doh:

tracey
26-06-2011, 14:26
Word of mouth is not always best (even with the best of intentions).

Mechanics for example. The people who use mechanics dont know cars, so how would they know if they have been ripped off???

I wont recommend restaurants because on some of the occasions that I have, the people had a bad experience. Then I feel guilty :rolleyes:

caroletenerife
26-06-2011, 14:35

Mechanics for example. The people who use mechanics dont know cars, so how would they know if they have been ripped off???

I wont recommend restaurants because on some of the occasions that I have, the people had a bad experience. Then I feel guilty :rolleyes:

Im like that with restaurants, its down to the staff on duty, one day it can be fine, next day it can be horrible. Some places are constantly looking for new staff, so its a lottery really

Harmonicaman
26-06-2011, 14:53

Not strictly true tracey. Some people know a lot about cars but don't have the specialist tools or use of ramps the garages have. (But I take the point you are making).

reggie
26-06-2011, 16:22
Word of mouth is the best way, look at poor ashro, great reputation, then gets a right slagging off for smoking in the car, If your happy with the job, and the price, stick with them, ask around first though, i have had some right numptys do work in tenerife, all recomended, I tend to do things myself now, but in the UK i ask about, and still get the odd numpty, but here they dont get paid until ime happy, Cash in hand if its cheaper yes, nobody wants to give this bl--dy goverment 50% of what they earn. + vat at 20% cheeky ble-ders

tracey
26-06-2011, 16:52
reggie maybe if ppl stop bringing the incident up it would be forgotten about :doh:

reggie
26-06-2011, 19:27
reggie maybe if ppl stop bringing the incident up it would be forgotten about :doh:

You love me Tracey dont ya, always on my case, just because i didnt agree with you on the rape thread, Ashro's customers wont leave him over the smoking incident, if they did they wasnt worth having, it was an example thats all, move on dear, i dont bite,

tracey
26-06-2011, 19:32
lol I have no feelings toward you at all. Your just a cyberperson!! Just dont agree with allot of what you say
To be honest I didnt even notice that I had commented on your posts (they could have been from anyone)

But hey live and let live :love:

PS I DO bite lol

PPS there you go mentioning it again!!

benward
26-06-2011, 20:28
No matter what reputation you have YOUR ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST JOB .So ask what else they have done ,get in touch with the people concerned who im sure wont have a problem telling you either way .:bricks:

9PLUS
27-06-2011, 08:20
YOUR ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST JOB

Thats a rubblish saying and totally inaccurate. I know of one tradesperson that ruins most things he touches and whom has various court cases against him, his last job he actually did quit well.

tactileman
27-06-2011, 08:55
Well of course it has a lot to do with taxation here. In the UK you can be self employed, pay your basic monthly stamp and then, at the end of the year, submit your accounts and pay your tax. Here, as an "autonomo" you have to pay something like €270 a month even if you never make a penny. I canīt help but feel that the whole taxation system needs to be looked at if they (the spanish governments) are able to eradicate "corruption" and "black money"

9PLUS
27-06-2011, 10:10
You are correct tactileman that is one of the main points with Spain but the €270 a month is for Social Security only and Autonomos have to pay around €250 every quarter in tax

Plus various other contributions

Leam_Lin
27-06-2011, 10:20
The basic self employed stamp (class 2) is Ģ2.40 in the UK.
You also pay class 4 on your profit.

kangnkodos
27-06-2011, 18:40
couldnt agree more tactileman,in the uk you get rewarded for trying to better your life as a self employed person,but the spanish autonamo system penalises you for trying to be an honest person,basically encouraging illegal work.at the moment as a builder on autonamo here i have to pay each month 270e social security(ludicrous)120e tax (regardless of earnings)40e accountants fees(expensive compared to uk,but fair for here),add to that van costs,diesel,tools,lock up and almost forgot public liability insurance (50e per month).....total....600e........thats 150e a week...........what chance have i got of competing with the black market,even after i have dropped my dayrate to less than it was 8 years ago(and i am a time served tradesman),these jokers are still under cutting lads like me just to keep themselves in beer vouchers.

hedgehog
27-06-2011, 19:10
I don't think it's just the self employed, all proper businesses have to pay extortionate amounts in taxes, social security, accountants (and fines when the accountant screws it up) here too...which is why so many people with proper legit jobs only work 20 hours a week "honest guv". From what I can see, this actually means the government earn less in tax as they believe nobody on the island ever does a full days work! One of the funniest things I ever heard was a work inspector saying "well I know you work more than 4 hours a day but I don't have any jurisdiction to prove it"...if the work police don't then who does?!?!

benward
27-06-2011, 20:47
Thats a rubblish saying and totally inaccurate. I know of one tradesperson that ruins most things he touches and whom has various court cases against him, his last job he actually did quit well.

Theres one word for him in our trade and thats a Prat ,(well worse than that cant write it on here) The bloke your talking about proved on the last job he can do the work . Like I said if people ask what other work you have done and look into it you will know if a tradesman is good or bad .Your only as good as your last job does apply in the work im in if its not your dropped down the priority list and dont even get chance to price it even if the work you did in the past was A1.

reggie
27-06-2011, 20:52
Do it once, do it right, get the money,

9PLUS
29-06-2011, 07:48
When businessmen turn crooked

divedog
29-06-2011, 17:03
the problen is the bosses hear i have been hear 10 years and only 6 months contract its all black money hear and its not right