PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife Forum Ryanair information and discussion thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

balababe
08-06-2011, 20:17
I am in the process of booking with Ryanair - when on earth did they put up their baggage charges to £50 for 15 kilos and £70 for 20 kilos? - and priority boarding is now £10.

I know the flights are cheap, so I suppose I shouldn't complain - I shall just have to use a coat with very large pockets. Also I now have a Fairfx prepaid mastercard, so I do not pay card charges. Could be worse. Can't wait to get to Tenerife next week, although I can only stay for eight days. Back again in July.

caroletenerife
08-06-2011, 20:21
Think they put them up for the summer season, enjoy your holiday

lcbandit
10-06-2011, 21:45
they have also put online booking up to £6 and now charge some sort of cancellation levy of £2 this is all per person each way and the card charges have gone up to £6 per person each way too( unless you have the free card), so in the long run doesnt always work out to be cheap with them, just got my flights with jet 2 a whole lot cheaper

lmt1970
11-06-2011, 21:04
Slightly off topic I know but we are flying with Ryanair for the first time on Saturday from Liverpool. My question is, do they have in flight entertainment and also is there a way of finding out how full the flight is?

kingbaker
11-06-2011, 21:34
Hi I'm a regular flyer with Ryanair and there isn't any in-flight entertainment and I don't think it's possible to know how full it is before you board ---but I may be corrected on this ----flights to Tenerife are usually full or very close in my experience

enjoy your time in Tenerife!

Chris P. Bacon
11-06-2011, 21:37
I think the £25 each way for a suitcase if shocking!

dokgolf
11-06-2011, 22:32
Slightly off topic I know but we are flying with Ryanair for the first time on Saturday from Liverpool. My question is, do they have in flight entertainment and also is there a way of finding out how full the flight is?

Unfortunately the answer to both questions is no. However, we went before and DIDN't purchase the priority boarding with our 3 kids. It took a lot of pleading/cajoling to get seats near each other so imo, if you have kids, priority boarding is well worth it.

SunnyDeb
11-06-2011, 22:39
I think the cost of a Ryanair flight is bare-bones, if you choose to have luggage, you will pay. Makes it more fair for those who do not have luggage. I find the Ryanair fares to be absurdly cheap. The same-distance flight between two cities where I live will set you back about 350 Euros (2 people, one way). I paid only 180 Euros from TFS to BCN.

coxan56
12-06-2011, 11:18
Hi If I want to know if they are full I do an enquiry for seats will tell you then if they have any seats available

Ann

SunnyDeb
13-06-2011, 03:38
Have you ever booked with Ryanair and found that they overbooked? There aren't really alot of flights between Madrid and TENERIFE, wouldn't work if we got bumped.

atlantico
19-06-2011, 19:52
Imagine this

You're at the airport waiting at your boarding gate.

The queue is massive, so you sit and let it go down.

10 mins before take off time the queue has about 15-20 people left, so you join it.

After 5 mins you notice its not going down, and that the gates are closed.

The sign above says BRISTOL- BOARDING, so you know you're in the right queue and there's other people waiting patiently.

Then someone mentions 'why does it say Bristol, if this is the Gatwick gate ? '

You say, "no its not Gatwick, its indeed Bristol"

Another person says 'No, they closed that gate 5 mins ago'

So, you shout over to the girls at desk asking if this is the Bristol gate and has it closed?

'YES' , was the reply !!

"But there's still another 5 mins to go" . . . . . 'Well everyone's onboard so its leaving'

"But I'm still queuing !" . . . . . . 'hard luck, the gates closed and plane is taxiing to runway !'

The people in the queue are waiting for the gate to open for the next flight to London, and want to be at start of queue to get best seats !! So how do you know where the Bristol queue stops and Gatwick one starts ?

So, what do you do ? . . . . . . Go home, unlock the house, book another flight for Wednesday, but have to go with Ryandon'tcair as no seats with any other airline for a week !

Atlantico2 . . . . . . . Still in Tenerife !

sleepy
19-06-2011, 20:03
With all due respect,I thought everybody knew they had to be at the airport at least two hours before flying.It's a wise move to be in the departure lounge at least 1/2 before departure too.

atlantico
19-06-2011, 20:08
with all due respect, I was !

checked in 2 hours before, at the gate 30 mins before boarding started.

The timing wasn't the problem, read my post again

Upside, massive Double Whopper Burger at Burger King !!

Jackie
19-06-2011, 20:13
With all due respect,I thought everybody knew they had to be at the airport at least two hours before flying.It's a wise move to be in the departure lounge at least 1/2 before departure too.

The OP didn't say he wasn't at the airport 2 hours before his flight or that he wasn't at the boarding gate 30 minutes before departure. He said that as there was such a large queue at the boarding gate he sat down and waited until it had reduced, but the actual queue was for the next flight.

That is another gripe I have about Ryanair. Apart from the silly cases everyone takes on board it is the actual queue to board the plane. Everyone queuing and even pushing in like their life depended on it to get the 'best seat'. After my one return flight with Ryanair I can honestly assure people that there are no 'best seats'

Never mind Atlantico at least you have another few days here which I am sure you will enjoy seeing as the temperatures are about to soar:lol:

sleepy
19-06-2011, 20:14
with all due respect, I was !

checked in 2 hours before, at the gate 30 mins before boarding started.

The timing wasn't the problem, read my post again

Upside, massive Double Whopper Burger at Burger King !!

Fair point....in that case you were very unlucky!

candy2411
19-06-2011, 20:19
enjoy the heatwave !! seriously though hope you weren't flying to UK for anything urgent ....if not I'm sure it will keep till Wednesday:)

atlantico
19-06-2011, 20:27
thanks, not urgent, but have to change hospital appointments !

Luckily, i only had hand luggage, otherwise my stuff would be on its way to UK. I've heard other airlines calling over tannoy for those who've checked in but not boarded, maybe because i had no hold bags they decided not to. I travel back and forth 8-9 times a year, over last 8 years, and never had this happen !

I won't be flying Ryanair again (apart from Wednesday) - i only did this time as they work out cheap with just hand luggage.

Wednesdays flight online = €64 with all fees etc. At airport they wanted €110 !! Last minute bookings only sold 4 hours before !

irishmusico
19-06-2011, 20:46
That nearly happened to me.The queue was down to about 20 people.As I looked I realised no one was boarding so a asked the lady at the boarding gate who told me I was the last person to get on and this was the queue for the next flight.Probably part of Ryanairs eternal policy to train the sheep to be exactly where they are supposed to be when they open the boarding gate.I still travel with them but you just have to be extra vigilant when boarding.
I always find it amazing why people queue 40 mins before boarding just to get to sit together for a flight.Parents with children is one thing.The wife and I always chill out till the last 5/10 minutes before we join the queue.If we sit together thats fine,if not,she is delighted to be rid of me for 4 hours :D

atlantico
19-06-2011, 20:55
what annoyed me the most was

1. They didn't announce last call for boarding
2. They didn't put a call out for me - they know who I am - I've got a ticket
3. They didn't alter the TV above the gate to say CLOSED - it still said BOARDING
4. The girls at desk didn't give a toss !
5. They wouldn't let me through, even though the other 15 people in the queue were booing them !

candy2411
19-06-2011, 21:00

Luckily, i only had hand luggage, otherwise my stuff would be on its way to UK. I've heard other airlines calling over tannoy for those who've checked in but not boarded, maybe because i had no hold bags they decided not to. I travel back and forth 8-9 times a year, over last 8 years, and never had this happen !

I won't be flying Ryanair again (apart from Wednesday) - i only did this time as they work out cheap with just hand luggage.

Wednesdays flight online = €64 with all fees etc. At airport they wanted €110 !! Last minute bookings only sold 4 hours before !

thing is , if you had checked a bag in ,they would have put out a call for you to board because airlines cannot carry checked in baggage for persons not on board for obvious security reasons....not much help now I know and anyway Ryanair are a bit of a law unto themselves so we can only wonder what may or may not have happened!!

atlantico
19-06-2011, 21:02
Yeah I know. They'd have searched the airport for me then ! It'd take hours to hunt out a case just to remove it.

for revenge, I'm having curry Tuesday night and I'm going to stink out their loos !!

irishmusico
19-06-2011, 21:05
what annoyed me the most was

1. They didn't announce last call for boarding
2. They didn't put a call out for me - they know who I am - I've got a ticket
3. They didn't alter the TV above the gate to say CLOSED - it still said BOARDING
4. The girls at desk didn't give a toss !
5. They wouldn't let me through, even though the other 15 people in the queue were booing them !

Nothing surprises me with Ryanair. They don't care about you or I and if they loose your business.The trick is to know their system of doing things and you won't get caught.So far so good for me but you never know when they will pull the rug from under you.

candy2411
19-06-2011, 21:16
Yeah I know. They'd have searched the airport for me then ! It'd take hours to hunt out a case just to remove it.

for revenge, I'm having curry Tuesday night and I'm going to stink out their loos !!

Glad I won't be on that flight then !!

bonitatime
19-06-2011, 21:34
Sorry pou had a s****y day.
Pleasef I am flying Thursday not Wednesday- Have to say I am one of the sad people who stand early in the queue and right now I feel better that I do.

dede
19-06-2011, 22:13
Ive just been with ryanair and i can honestly say that they would be the last company i would ever use in the future, there service and attitude towards paying customers stink.... I would rather pay a bit extra and go with an airline that care for their cusomers.

cainaries
19-06-2011, 22:28

Oddly I think if you had checked in a bag they would have had to have found you as they are definitely not supposed to fly with baggage in the hold and no passenger to go with it. Would have thought leaving a passenger behind when their name is on the manifest would be a breach of regulations but doubt they care - just obsessed with arriving ahead of schedule.

Sorry Candy - somehow skipped your post on reading thread and realise you already covered this - and better than I did.

Susief
19-06-2011, 22:41
The moral of the story is you should have been paying more attention or checked in a bag! Lol poor Atlantico having to endure another 48 hours in scorching hot Tenerife!

AL JAY
19-06-2011, 22:42
I think they should just give you a seat number as Monarch still do and call you on in sections,i think most of the problems boarding are caused by the amount of them suitcases seeing people struggling to put them in the overhead lockers :stupid::fryingpan:

karinagal
19-06-2011, 22:51
I've flown with Ryanair 4 times this year already with another 2 return flights booked (July and September). I totally agree that their customer service is a joke, and they fleece you on their food/drinks. However, I regard them as a carrier the same way I would a bus company - turn up, queue up, get on, sit down and pass the time until it's time to get off at the other end.. If it wasn't for Ryanair, I would not be able to afford to go back and forth as often as I do and plan to do in the future. If it was only one or two journey's a year for my main holidays, I would probably consider another carrier (Jet 2 are also robbing b's but they having some saving graces)...... :hole:

TOTO 99
20-06-2011, 07:44
I've used Ryanair many times in the past. I'm first in the que every time and that generally means i'm stood there for well over an hour. I'm 6ft 4" and 36" inside leg. If I don't get the front row I'm doomed. The last few times I've used Monarch because I've had enough of having to do it. That of course comes at a premium and as Karina says it can be the difference between coming and not coming. There's talk of Ryanair charging for the legroom seats later this year and if it happens then I wouldn't have a problem using them again, as long as they were still cheaper of course. :)

fonica
20-06-2011, 09:23
Exactly,if you don't have hold baggage they don't care if you miss the flight! But I have to say the airline doesn't pretend to be anything other than a low cost flight provider and these days we need to have our wits about us when travelling with these companies.(I'm not suggesting that you didn't have your wits about YOU) The staff who work for Ryanair in Tenerife apt.seem to take pleasure in causing problems for their passengers and will never put themselves out to make sure that you don't miss your flight.

Vortex Wake
20-06-2011, 09:40
I was stood in the queue for 45 minutes until I realised it was the queue for the burger bar ;)

I can fully understand the op's situation .

Another one is where the gate you need is shut and the final boarding call has been given - you then realise that the next gate (to a different country) is actually the gate you need and has been in correctly labeled.

tizzywizzy
20-06-2011, 10:00
In May I was sitting near the boarding gate in Tenerife. I had checked the board and we knew the flight was delayed. OH goes off for a wander around and next thing people see the plane landing so start queuing. I had the cabin bags so thought i will stay sitting for a bit longer. The tannoy goes announcing that for our flight we are to start queuing. OH comes back and could not understand why i was in the queue as the board was still not telling you to queue. He had not heard the announcement. We stood for over 40mins before they opened the gate. Is it just Ryanair that do this or are all airlines the same

Tom & Sharon
20-06-2011, 10:02
I was on a flight from Madrid to TFS, and got to the boarding gate in plenty of time. I sat down instead of joining the queue and only at the last minute did I look at the screen because I thought it was taking a long time. Only then did I notice it no longer said TFS but Geneva. They had changed the gate and didn't announce it!

There were a few of us who then had to run half way across Madrid airport to the new gate, and only just made it.

Vortex Wake
20-06-2011, 10:39
I was on a flight from Madrid to TFS, and got to the boarding gate in plenty of time. I sat down instead of joining the queue and only at the last minute did I look at the screen because I thought it was taking a long time. Only then did I notice it no longer said TFS but Geneva. They had changed the gate and didn't announce it!

There were a few of us who then had to run half way across Madrid airport to the new gate, and only just made it.

Yes that happens with Ryanair at TFS.

Great because it allows you to get nearer the front of the queue ;)

atlantico
20-06-2011, 12:18
Exactly,if you don't have hold baggage they don't care if you miss the flight! But I have to say the airline doesn't pretend to be anything other than a low cost flight provider and these days we need to have our wits about us when travelling with these companies.(I'm not suggesting that you didn't have your wits about YOU) The staff who work for Ryanair in Tenerife apt.seem to take pleasure in causing problems for their passengers and will never put themselves out to make sure that you don't miss your flight.

quite true . . . . . . these 2 females were trying very hard to hide their smirks !1

Do they send staff on courses on how to be so rude and un-helpful ??

fonica
20-06-2011, 12:23
Yes without a doubt.When Ryan air opened their operation in Tenerife the British staff that they employed were the very last people that anybody would have employed if they had wanted helpful staff. Heard the other day from one of their staff who had been asked a reasonable question from a passenger; "Don't mistake me for someone who cares" and she want off with a grin on her face! Job done! I still think that Ryanair offers great value for money if you follow their rules and don't speak to the staff.

A.P.&.S.S
20-06-2011, 16:07
Is it just me?

I read this thread as I have read many threads on here about Ryanair, I have used them 4 times per year for the past 2 yars and used them for my 1 way ticket when I came here to stay. I can say I have never had any issue with Ryanair, if you understand Mr Oleary and his business sence and understand that you are boarding a public bus in the air and keep by all their T & C then you should have no issues. I always take priority boarding as my legs are long and hate to have them round my neck, always check in with loads of time if I have hold luggage. Im always at the gate in loads of time and stand there (some may say sad). Sad maybe but never had any issues.

I have traveled (not to and from TFS) with many other airlines and I will ALWAYS go with Mr Oleary where possable and cost dependant.

Still a bummer when something like has happened to the OP....Never mind top up the tan Atlantico?!

Susief
20-06-2011, 18:12
You can say what you want about RA but we wouldn't have travelled to Tenerife 4 times since Dec without them. Usually cost about £100 each with luggage. Other airlines want double that and are no better.

People moan about RA but that is usually because they haven't read and adhered to their T&C's.

We always weigh our cases, have the appropriate size and keep up to date with T&C's.

Jackie
20-06-2011, 18:24
You can say what you want about RA but we wouldn't have travelled to Tenerife 4 times since Dec without them. Usually cost about £100 each with luggage. Other airlines want double that and are no better.

People moan about RA but that is usually because they haven't read and adhered to their T&C's.

We always weigh our cases, have the appropriate size and keep up to date with T&C's.

Sorry Susie but I am going to disagree with you there, I have used Ryanair once for a return trip to the UK and I swear I will not use them again. I had no problems with the size of my case etc. but if there was ever a cattle truck in the sky then this is it. All I had on my flight to the UK was two rows of seats in front of me piled high with those bloody wheely cases because they wouldn't fit in the overhead lockers and all I had on the flight back was stupid passengers trying to sit in the aforementioned two rows and being told by the Hostesses that they had to remain free for Health and Safety reasons. Make up your bloody mind Ryanair, they were full of cases on the outward journey??????

Sorry but I would rather pay a bit extra than have to use them again. Obviously if your are in poor Al Jay's situation of missing his flight and the only flight you can get is with them then maybe I would resort to using them but it definately wouldn't be through choice.

AL JAY
20-06-2011, 18:34
Wish it was me Jackie,i'd still be on the reef then, it was Atlantico2...Bah :surf::whistle:

hedgehog
20-06-2011, 18:34
First time I flew with them (in the early hours of the morning and with 2 small kids) I queued in plenty of time as although I would have loved a peaceful flight had we not been seated together, I doubt my fellow travellers would have enjoyed sitting with my kids...20 mins to go they changed the boarding gate to one a considerable distance away...then back again...then back again...sure they were filming the hoards of stampeding travellers for "You've been framed". Luckily most saw the humorous side and we giggled our way back to the UK...unfortunately I got to sit with my kids, can't have it all! I personally could not have afforded to go back with any other airline, they are cheap and they are sneaky - but you get what you pay for!

atlantico
20-06-2011, 18:48
Well, if i'd booked suitcase in the cost would have been €101 one-way. I usually fly Thomson or ThomasCook for about £150-£180 return - so RA are not the cheapest, PLUS you get treated like Royalty compared to RyanAir. And you don't have to print your own boarding card !

Jackie
20-06-2011, 20:28
Wish it was me Jackie,i'd still be on the reef then, it was Atlantico2...Bah :surf::whistle:

See I'm losing the plot now, I blame the heat:p

karinagal
20-06-2011, 21:28
Well, if i'd booked suitcase in the cost would have been €101 one-way. I usually fly Thomson or ThomasCook for about £150-£180 return - so RA are not the cheapest, PLUS you get treated like Royalty compared to RyanAir. And you don't have to print your own boarding card !

Depends where you're flying from - they are definitely the cheapest where I am....

poker
20-06-2011, 21:54
We went to the peninsular , Valencia a few weeks ago 105 € total return trip with 3 residends .
Its cheaper than anything :-):-):-) .
We were happy with what we got for the price , cheap transport .

Sent using Tapatalk.

kieraj
20-06-2011, 23:34
we have travelled with ryanair for 12 years all over spain and the canaries and never had a problem they have always been the cheapest, you get what you pay for so why expect more x

Len77
21-06-2011, 00:17
Is it just me?

I read this thread as I have read many threads on here about Ryanair, I have used them 4 times per year for the past 2 yars and used them for my 1 way ticket when I came here to stay. I can say I have never had any issue with Ryanair, if you understand Mr Oleary and his business sence and understand that you are boarding a public bus in the air and keep by all their T & C then you should have no issues. I always take priority boarding as my legs are long and hate to have them round my neck, always check in with loads of time if I have hold luggage. Im always at the gate in loads of time and stand there (some may say sad). Sad maybe but never had any issues.

I have traveled (not to and from TFS) with many other airlines and I will ALWAYS go with Mr Oleary where possable and cost dependant.

Still a bummer when something like has happened to the OP....Never mind top up the tan Atlantico?!

Agreed 1000% People want Rolls Royce service for the price of a Mini............I know what's going to happen now........you say you just want a good mini. :raspberry2: If the flights were free.........people would still moan. GET A LIFE !!:hello:

Topacciolo
21-06-2011, 00:35
Ive just been with ryanair and i can honestly say that they would be the last company i would ever use in the future, there service and attitude towards paying customers stink.... I would rather pay a bit extra and go with an airline that care for their cusomers.

Honestly I know they are not the best and this thing that happened to our friend shouldn't had happened but we all say "I will pay a bit more and fly with someone else...." but why do you think their fly are always full and why do we all go back to them???? Price my friend price!!!! And price only!!! Same time same fly same price I will fly with anyone else but I rarely find myself in the situation of having to choose!!!! At least they are in time....

Topacciolo

timmylish
21-06-2011, 00:44
quite true . . . . . . these 2 females were trying very hard to hide their smirks !1

Do they send staff on courses on how to be so rude and un-helpful ??

Don,t be daft, that would cost them money. Naw. All the Cabin Crew are members on here and pee themselves laughin' at the postings on here!

Andy0210
21-06-2011, 00:59
Always amazes me how they can be so consistently crap yet people defend them all the time, you read about them being crap on the forums, you read about them being crap in the newspapers, you see them being crap on TV yet people defend them cos they are cheap and its the only way they can afford to get overseas on a regular basis.

Lets face it they are crap and if they weren´t cheap they wouldn´t have any customers.

If they were the same price as the other airlines how many customers do you think would choose to travel with them ??? ???

Topacciolo
21-06-2011, 01:09
Always amazes me how they can be so consistently crap yet people defend them all the time, you read about them being crap on the forums, you read about them being crap in the newspapers, you see them being crap on TV yet people defend them cos they are cheap and its the only way they can afford to get overseas on a regular basis.

Lets face it they are crap and if they weren´t cheap they wouldn´t have any customers.

If they were the same price as the other airlines how many customers do you think would choose to travel with them ??? ???

Yes but you said it yourself!!!! They are cheep and we all use them just because of that!
Easy jet is slightly better but never in time and more expensive!!! Does anyone know any better company cheep and good that give a great customer service, comfy seats, smily people and free drinks??? Come on who are we kidding?!?

Topacciolo

slodgedad
21-06-2011, 01:29
You get what you pay for.

We all got so used to, over the years, of having everything included whether or not we wanted it that someone saw a niche.

I agree that a lot of things are optional now but to charge extra for things are are a requirement has got to be wrong.

You have to board, you have to check in etc etc., so how can these be outside the basic price?

I understand the food and luggage but the rest...DOH, (as Homer would say)

Topacciolo
21-06-2011, 01:33
You get what you pay for.

We all got so used to, over the years, of having everything included whether or not we wanted it that someone saw a niche.

I agree that a lot of things are optional now but to charge extra for things are are a requirement has got to be wrong.

You have to board, you have to check in etc etc., so how can these be outside the basic price?

I understand the food and luggage but the rest...DOH, (as Homer would say)

Agree!! Prices should be easy to read and should have basics included but again until no one will came up with the same bottom line price we will all go back to the one we all hate and love!!!!

Topacciolo

Andy0210
21-06-2011, 01:36
Yes but you said it yourself!!!! They are cheep and we all use them just because of that!
Easy jet is slightly better but never in time and more expensive!!! Does anyone know any better company cheep and good that give a great customer service, comfy seats, smily people and free drinks??? Come on who are we kidding?!?

Topacciolo

BA scheduled but they stopped flying to Tenerife unfortunately.

Personally i would rather pay more and know i am going to get on the flight, they aren´t going to laugh when i am stood in the wrong queue, can sit in comfort and have a stewardess smile at me rather than the security guards (sorry stewardesses) growl at me when they pass, can safely say i haven´t used RyanAir and can´t ever envisage using them either.

Topacciolo
21-06-2011, 01:41
BA scheduled but they stopped flying to Tenerife unfortunately.

Personally i would rather pay more and know i am going to get on the flight, they aren´t going to laugh when i am stood in the wrong queue, can sit in comfort and have a stewardess smile at me rather than the security guards (sorry stewardesses) growl at me when they pass, can safely say i haven´t used RyanAir and can´t ever envisage using them either.

If you can afford the choice I'm 100% with you and quality of service should be better because a smile and nice matters don't cost anything but what I'm trying to say is that we all (or everyone on a budget) go back to them just because of price. Nothing else.

Topacciolo

Andy0210
21-06-2011, 01:48
If you can afford the choice I'm 100% with you and quality of service should be better because a smile and nice matters don't cost anything but what I'm trying to say is that we all (or everyone on a budget) go back to them just because of price. Nothing else.

Topacciolo

I have a friend coming to visit me in two weeks and it was only 20 pounds more to fly with Monarch from the same airport on the same day with 5 kg´s more of baggage than it was with Ryanair, thats a return flight for the record.

So maybe they aren´t that budget anymore. ;)

Topacciolo
21-06-2011, 01:54
No but I agree and before booking I always check monarch (easyjet no way!! Its always late!!!) but last week it would have cost me £90 more to came and £70 to comeback!!! And we are in two!! So you know for £20 its ok I take the better choice but for £280 in two I take the cheep one, don't be smile at and have a drink for "free" on them every night I'm here for the money I saved.

Topacciolo

atlantico
21-06-2011, 02:04
well . . . . . . . . . if i'm still here Thursday . . . . . . . they are defo crapo !!

The only reason I used RA is because of hospital appointments fell when no airline could get me to Cardiff and my Dad said he'd pick me up from Bristol.

I can assure everyone . . . . . . I'd choose service over price.

I have several UK business's and I can guarantee you that my customers stay with us for the same reasons !

as to cheep . . ?? . . . cheap . . . . we spend nearly as much on a meal/drinks out every night . . . . so for me , service, or at least common curtsey is more important !

in fact, my Range Rover guzzles more fuel then RA fares just commuting between Cardiff and Manchester ! or Silencio and Santa Cruz !

Bazzer
21-06-2011, 15:01
What's the saying, - ''speak as you find''?

We have flown Ryanair six times this year and goodness knows how many times last year, and have never had a single problem with them. They have been on time, staff have always been pleasant and courteous, and the flights have been by far the cheapest we could find.

dede
21-06-2011, 15:13
It just reminds me of a cattle market at their check in gates,, each to their own but its not for me thanks....

mamamaz
21-06-2011, 15:39
I'm sorry you were unable to board your flight Atlantico but as far as I can see it was not Ryanairs fault that you failed to join the correct queue. I note you have rebooked with them for tomorrows flight - hope you join the queue in time and have a pleasant flight. We have used Ryanair lots of times and like the fact that as well as being cheap they are normally ON TIME, have reasonable leg room, can just get off plane and start our holiday without delay - not having to wait to collect luggage and they fly from our local airport in the UK. We, like others on here have stated, would not be able to come over three times a year if it wasn't for the lower prices. I would mention, we have also travelled with BA and Monarch in the past to Tenerife and did not find their service that different from Ryanair and I even enjoy the ontime fanfare!!

Topacciolo
21-06-2011, 15:48
well . . . . . . . . . if i'm still here Thursday . . . . . . . they are defo crapo !!

The only reason I used RA is because of hospital appointments fell when no airline could get me to Cardiff and my Dad said he'd pick me up from Bristol.

I can assure everyone . . . . . . I'd choose service over price.

I have several UK business's and I can guarantee you that my customers stay with us for the same reasons !

as to cheep . . ?? . . . cheap . . . . we spend nearly as much on a meal/drinks out every night . . . . so for me , service, or at least common curtsey is more important !

in fact, my Range Rover guzzles more fuel then RA fares just commuting between Cardiff and Manchester ! or Silencio and Santa Cruz !

I'm sure if you provide a great service with your several business you are also not the cheapest on the market (and I'm not saying that I a bad way... The opposite) and I agree that as general rule what you say make sense but if I can't afford using one of your company because they are not in my budget I automatically redirect my attention to companies that I can afford and from them I pick the one I feel give me the best price / quality package.
Does it make sense?!?
Is the same with flys, RA is not the top of the range but gives you basic service with basic price. If I could fly Luftansa at the same price I would but we all know it's not possible....

Topacciolo

timmylish
21-06-2011, 15:54
Mrs.T.,s family and their friends arrive from Moldova late on Friday and for the second time they have booked their connection from mainland Europe by Mr. O'Leary,s airline. When they arrived last time, bang on the appointed time, I asked them what they thought of Ryanair and their answer amused me somewhat. It had reminded them of Soviet airlines. Unsmiling staff. Basics-none of. Crude aircraft in need of tarting up and lastly and most importantly. Bang on time!
When you have connecting flights to catch its worth a lot of money to have more than a reasonable chance of getting there on time.

Topacciolo
21-06-2011, 15:56
Mrs.T.,s family and their friends arrive from Moldova late on Friday and for the second time they have booked their connection from mainland Europe by Mr. O'Leary,s airline. When they arrived last time, bang on the appointed time, I asked them what they thought of Ryanair and their answer amused me somewhat. It had reminded them of Soviet airlines. Unsmiling staff. Basics-none of. Crude aircraft in need of tarting up and lastly and most importantly. Bang on time!
When you have connecting flights to catch its worth a lot of money to have more than a reasonable chance of getting there on time.

I can't agree more!!! Timing is so important!!

Topacciolo

candy2411
21-06-2011, 15:59
It seems to me that the complainers about Ryanair are the ones who don't travel often or in fact have never used them, they're just going on comments they've heard rather than experienced.

Its human nature to complain about something that's bad , you feel badly done to and you want the world to know.

People have different views but also different priorities. I can well appreciate that the person who maybe travels only occasionally wants their flight to be stress free and ' all frills' to be included, and these people will have no problem paying extra for their flight as this is part of their holiday.

However a great many people , owners in particular and business travellers just want to get to their destination asap and this is were Ryanair score greatly, because they are always on time. I have taken more than 20 flights with them in recent times and I think only on one occasion were they late and that was about 15 mins.

I have had some horrendous delays with other airlines, I mean 5 or 6 hours , and I dont like to risk this just to have a seat allocated for me.

Also the frequent traveller tends to travel light so the baggage restrictions do not become an issue.

Let's face it , whether you're a fan or not, Ryanair are definitely providing a good service.They must be doing something right as their flights are usually full and they're the most profitable airline in Europe.

Personally speaking I hope the day never comes when Ryanair pull out of the Tenerife routes because the competition will have a field day with extortionate increases in price:pray:

atlantico
21-06-2011, 16:33
I'm sorry you were unable to board your flight Atlantico but as far as I can see it was not Ryanairs fault that you failed to join the correct queue.

that's the thing, i didn't join the wrong queue, other passengers for the Gatwick flight which was an hour later had 'tagged on' to the end of the queue and I joined at the rear of that one, thinking it was the correct line as the sign still said BRISTOL- NOW BOARDING !

Susief
21-06-2011, 16:37

You do talk a load of tosh!

How many times you flown back to UK in last 3-4 years? Which airlines you used???

Passengers flown with RA 66.5m in 2009 and 73.5m in 2010, that's how crap they are!

mamamaz
21-06-2011, 16:54
that's the thing, i didn't join the wrong queue, other passengers for the Gatwick flight which was an hour later had 'tagged on' to the end of the queue and I joined at the rear of that one, thinking it was the correct line as the sign still said BRISTOL- NOW BOARDING !

I still feel it was not Ryanairs fault - you said you joined the queue 10 minutes before departure was due - surely that was far too late to leave it even if it was still showing at 'boarding'- if I had been with you I would have been having heart failure - I am usually one of the ones in the queue at least 40 minutes before departure!!!!

atlantico
21-06-2011, 16:56
Yes, but if there's still 15-20 people in that queue , its easy to assume that they're all getting on YOUR flight and there's plenty of time to board

Susief
21-06-2011, 16:58
I still feel it was not Ryanairs fault - you said you joined the queue 10 minutes before departure was due - surely that was far too late to leave it even if it was still showing at 'boarding'- if I had been with you I would have been having heart failure - I am usually one of the ones in the queue at least 40 minutes before departure!!!!

Me too and we always get PB.

Perhaps a blasé attitude Atlantico? You'll be more aware next time you fly!

mamamaz
21-06-2011, 17:03
Yes, but if there's still 15-20 people in that queue , its easy to assume that they're all getting on YOUR flight and there's plenty of time to board

Now atlantico, you are talking about Ryanair - they do everything in their power to depart and arrive on time - it takes a long time to get everyone seated on the plane, so joining the queue so late, even if you thought there were still people in the queue that were getting your flight, was not a wise decision. Hope you decide to join the queue tomorrow with at least 30 minutes to departure. :pray::pray:

Jackie
21-06-2011, 17:29
It seems to me that the complainers about Ryanair are the ones who don't travel often or in fact have never used them, they're just going on comments they've heard rather than experienced.

Let's be honest here, people only have to travel with them once to know they are C***

I still feel it was not Ryanairs fault

Atlantico2 consider yourself told off:lol::lol:

hedgehog
21-06-2011, 18:48
Let's be honest here, people only have to travel with them once to know they are C***

TBH I don't agree, sure the jogging between boarding gates was slightly annoying (but also quite funny too) and I must admit I got lots of smiles from the air hostesses during the flight...probably through sheer relief because my 2 small kids were sleeping the whole way (due to all the running maybe). I have to say I had no problems at all with the flight, and unlike Thomson the year before we didn't have a 5 hour delay!

Jackie
21-06-2011, 19:01
My son has used Ryanair on four occassions to go back to the UK in the last 8 months or so. Out of those four flights ONE was on time, one had an 8 hour delay at Gatwick when he was coming home, one had a 2 and half hour delay at Tenerife when he was going and the last one had over an hour delay. He is normally so laid back and really nothing bothers him but he has pretty much begged my husband NOT to book him on a Ryanair flight the next time he goes back:D So please don't tell me that it is only other airlines that ever have delays.

I have used them once and that was only because I needed to go back to the UK for four days in March at short notice and all the other Airlines where full on the dates that I wanted. Says it all really, all other airlines fully booked Ryanair seat available, not rocket science is it? Sorry but as I said before they are a cattle truck in the sky. First thing they need to do is BAN those bloody wheely things that people take on board and make them book a case in the hold, and if people are not prepared to pay for a case then they don't take one simples:hat:

atlantico
21-06-2011, 19:07
I must admit that the on-board case I bought to Ryanairs exact dimensions is way bigger than any other carry-on case I've used, multiply that by 200 and that's a lot of luggage above seats ! In a crash all those 10kg bags become lethal weapons ! It's a wonder the authorities allow it !

primrose
21-06-2011, 19:14
I must admit that the on-board case I bought to Ryanairs exact dimensions is way bigger than any other carry-on case I've used, multiply that by 200 and that's a lot of luggage above seats ! In a crash all those 10kg bags become lethal weapons ! It's a wonder the authorities allow it !

So what do they put in the hold if most of the luggage is in the cabin.

Jackie
21-06-2011, 19:19
I must admit that the on-board case I bought to Ryanairs exact dimensions is way bigger than any other carry-on case I've used, multiply that by 200 and that's a lot of luggage above seats ! In a crash all those 10kg [/B[B]]bags become lethal weapons ! It's a wonder the authorities allow it !

When I was boarding my flight in March we was told to leave rows 3 and 4 vacant either side of the aircraft as they had to be kept free for Health and Safety reasons. When everyone had boarded there was not enough room in the overhead lockers for everyone's cases ( mine was in the hold;). The hostesses then filled rows 3 and 4 with the overspill and every seat in these two rows on either side of the plane where piled four cases high and one in front of each seat. That is 60 cases in total that were not secured.
On the way home we was told the same thing regarding these two rows and surprise surprise they remained empty of cases. Once the flight had taken off a couple of people from the back of the aircraft moved and sat in the 'free' seats. The hostesses caused such a fuss and repeated those particular rows needed to be free blah blah but it was ok to fill them with cases for the first leg of my journey??????

A.P.&.S.S
21-06-2011, 19:22

Try Easyjet, I beleive they do NOT have weight restrictions on their hand luggage (more lethal I'd say!), as I have said before, we all have had a bad experiance whether it be a meal or a flight and everyone has their opinions but I can say keep up th good work Mr Oleary, I understand your business sence, I keep within your T&C's, I arrive and que at the gate in more than ample time and have never had any issues with delays, un pleasant staff etc etc etc.

Infact I was stuck here while the ash cloud was around in easter 2010 and I was booked on another flight by Ryanair but due to work issues I managed to book a flight 3 days earlier (at my own cost, with Ryanair) and thought being Scottish I'd chance my arm at a refund. Did the online thing and true to his conditions of a full refund the money was back in my account within the 30 days! Cant say better than that????

Topacciolo
21-06-2011, 19:30
Hey guys I think we can go on forever!!
We will all have our opinion and no one will be right or wrong anyway!!
My final sat on this is:
If you don't like it don't use it!!! If everyone will follow this policy and if in one or two years time RA will still be flying means they are doing a decent job, if not..... There will be something better!!
Cheers!!! I'm going to have a or with the money I saved when I booked my RA fly!!!


Topacciolo

BobMac
21-06-2011, 19:45
Try Easyjet, I beleive they do NOT have weight restrictions on their hand luggage (more lethal I'd say!), as I have said before, we all have had a bad experiance whether it be a meal or a flight and everyone has their opinions but I can say keep up th good work Mr Oleary, I understand your business sence, I keep within your T&C's, I arrive and que at the gate in more than ample time and have never had any issues with delays, un pleasant staff etc etc etc.

Infact I was stuck here while the ash cloud was around in easter 2010 and I was booked on another flight by Ryanair but due to work issues I managed to book a flight 3 days earlier (at my own cost, with Ryanair) and thought being Scottish I'd chance my arm at a refund. Did the online thing and true to his conditions of a full refund the money was back in my account within the 30 days! Cant say better than that????

That's correct - their website says that carry-on luggage can be any weight as long as you can pick it up and put it in the overhead locker unassisted and it is the correct size as specified on the website

candy2411
21-06-2011, 20:15
keep up th good work Mr Oleary, I understand your business sence, I keep within your T&C's, I arrive and que at the gate in more than ample time and have never had any issues with delays, un pleasant staff etc etc etc.

Same happened to me last May, flight cancelled cos of the ash cloud and refund made no hassle within 21 days!!

I think too Mr OLeary is a shrewd businessman , everyone knows his view on the aircraft being on the ground for as little time as possible is a way the airline makes their money. If you allocate seats then people will stroll round the duty free etc , turn up at the gate late and then the departure is delayed due to late comers. His way ensures people are at the gate early and get boarded at the fastest possible time ensuring the aircraft gets away on time AND IT WORKS , they will wait for no-one!

I was once on a charter flight delayed for nearly 3 hours while calls were put out for 2 missing passengers who strolled up late albeit only by 10 mins or so. By then though the aircraft had missed its departure slot and we all had to sit and wait for another available slot.
You can imagine the red faces of those 2 passengers!!

( not getting at you Atlantico,I know you werent strolling round duty free....yours was a queue error...hope all goes well tomorrow)

A.P.&.S.S
21-06-2011, 23:22
Same happened to me last May, flight cancelled cos of the ash cloud and refund made no hassle within 21 days!!

I think too Mr OLeary is a shrewd businessman , everyone knows his view on the aircraft being on the ground for as little time as possible is a way the airline makes their money. If you allocate seats then people will stroll round the duty free etc , turn up at the gate late and then the departure is delayed due to late comers. His way ensures people are at the gate early and get boarded at the fastest possible time ensuring the aircraft gets away on time AND IT WORKS , they will wait for no-one!

I was once on a charter flight delayed for nearly 3 hours while calls were put out for 2 missing passengers who strolled up late albeit only by 10 mins or so. By then though the aircraft had missed its departure slot and we all had to sit and wait for another available slot.
You can imagine the red faces of those 2 passengers!!

( not getting at you Atlantico,I know you werent strolling round duty free....yours was a queue error...hope all goes well tomorrow)

100% agree, get there and be on time = no problems, I am a businessman like Mr Oleary and I totaly understand his business....Good luck to him as MANY people use him and he is the biggest carrier in europe!!

EileenD
22-06-2011, 00:04
Have to totally agree with you Bazzer. Have flown Ryanair at least 3 times a year over the last 15 years or so and have not had any problems. Leg room same or sometimes better than other airlines...have flown to Canada with less leg room. Staff have always been pleasant even though they are doing a very difficult job with sometimes rude passengers.

A.P.&.S.S
22-06-2011, 12:11
To the Mods, maybe its just me and my computer but I cant see the reply by Atlantico2 posted at approx 02.30am and my reply at approx 10am today??? Any reasons guys?? or is it just my PC? lol

Sorry, note to self.....must look harder next time!!! :):)

atlantico
22-06-2011, 12:20
its in the 'off topic' section !!

A.P.&.S.S
22-06-2011, 12:25
its in the 'off topic' section !!

LOL thats what I get for not looking!! :whistle:

atlantico
23-06-2011, 15:17
OK. Got to airport in plenty of time. Checked which gate it was leaving from, No 18, right by Passenger Info Desk.

Blimey, 45 minutes BEFORE boarding commences and the queue is 100 yards long, spreading almost to the nearest cafe and everyone sitting down !!

I really can't understand why people want to sit in a queue for an hour BEFORE a 4 hour flight !

3 people in front had oversized bags, they were told they had to be checked in at £40 or €40 each, they did so under protest saying their bags fitted the gauge in Bristol when they flew out ! Guess where their bags were put ?? In the first 3 rows of seat right in front of ME !! What a cheek ! And charging for exactly the same service !

Once in air (15 minutes late, by the way - due to charging for oversized bags no doubt) I lowered my tray to find a pile of crumbs fall into my lap !

Then after an hour I got an headache from all that YELLOW everywhere !

Hey, but I got here ! But not returning via Ryanair, I'll pay the £20 extra and get treated with respect by Thomas Cook or Thomsons !!

captain jack sparrow
25-06-2011, 21:16
I remember there was a thread on the old forum regarding ryanair, just booked with them for 2 weeks holiday in august, Had a bit of a shock at the end of the online booking request form when it add's £6 per person admin fee :mad:

Ohh yes, return as well, that's 5 of us totaling to a extra £60.

and dont get me started about baggage, only one little 10kg hand luggage of a certain size allowed, anything else you pay upwards of £25 per bag and thats each way.

Ohh well, bit the bullet and its paid for now, It still worked out cheaper than any other flight i found, Why dont they be upfront with their charges instead of trying to hide them.

Anything else i need to know before i fly with them..

Sal
25-06-2011, 21:21
We just had return flights with Ryanair (previously we were Ryanair virgins) and we were quite worried everything would not go to plan. However, it all turned out well and cost just over half what we have previously paid with another airline.

I would have no problem flying Ryanair again! :airplane:

ddoyle
25-06-2011, 21:25
I remember there was a thread on the old forum regarding ryanair, just booked with them for 2 weeks holiday in august, Had a bit of a shock at the end of the online booking request form when it add's £6 per person admin fee :mad:

Ohh yes, return as well, that's 5 of us totaling to a extra £60.

and dont get me started about baggage, only one little 10kg hand luggage of a certain size allowed, anything else you pay upwards of £25 per bag and thats each way.

Ohh well, bit the bullet and its paid for now, It still worked out cheaper than any other flight i found, Why dont they be upfront with their charges instead of trying to hide them.

Anything else i need to know before i fly with them..
Dont buy anything in duty free unless it fits into your hand luggage which you will be told, not asked to put into the hand luggage sizer before you board the plane if the gestapo sorry boarding assistants think your hand luggage is over size. I stopped flying with Ryanair last year Aer Lingus are worth the extra few euros.

captain jack sparrow
25-06-2011, 21:30
Cheers Sal, That's reassuring, Just wondered if there was anything else i was going to get charged for, over excitement tax maybe...:eyebrows:

Is a woman allowed to take a handbag as well as her hand luggage or is it classed as hand luggage ??

TIS
25-06-2011, 21:30
Any one have teh tel no for Ryanair desk at tenerife South - Need t contact one of their staff

Sal
25-06-2011, 21:34
Cheers Sal, That's reassuring, Just wondered if there was anything else i was going to get charged for, over excitement tax maybe...:eyebrows:

Is a woman allowed to take a handbag as well as her hand luggage or is it classed as hand luggage ??

Only one item of hand luggage - so no handbag unless she has no other hand luggage.

karinagal
26-06-2011, 00:34
Only one item of hand luggage - so no handbag unless she has no other hand luggage.

She can take a handbag as long as it fits inside her main hand luggage for boarding and the weight of the handbag is included in the overall 10kg.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

astara
26-06-2011, 00:47

no - sorry to report it is all classed as same hand luggage, all has to be n same one bag sized item ! - be inventive its still cheap...

captain jack sparrow
26-06-2011, 00:58
Yes, i agree astara, it was still cheaper than any other flight even after the baggage fee, But i would of thought more of them as a company if the admin and baggage fee was included in the price and not split up to give a false incentive, like I said, there still cheaper by a fair margin so why do it ?

Angusjim
26-06-2011, 08:46
Yes, i agree astara, it was still cheaper than any other flight even after the baggage fee, But i would of thought more of them as a company if the admin and baggage fee was included in the price and not split up to give a false incentive, like I said, there still cheaper by a fair margin so why do it ?

Captain the best at adding in costs are Jet 2 they make Ryaniar look like amatures

princessmonika
26-06-2011, 09:11
but with hand luggage you don't have to check in, if you have printed your boarding pass -- i go to the straight to the gate -
no problem

junglejim
26-06-2011, 09:58
Captain the best at adding in costs are Jet 2 they make Ryaniar look like amatures

Hi AJ - came back with O'Liary's muppets on Friday to the land of smirr ( without the noff!) usual priority non priority queues with drunken muppets trying to skip ahead in priority without paying, causing havoc but none of muppet staff bothering to intervene .
Nice to be back in a cool place for a while !! Hope you-re keeping well !!

Angusjim
26-06-2011, 10:11
Hi AJ - came back with O'Liary's muppets on Friday to the land of smirr ( without the noff!) usual priority non priority queues with drunken muppets trying to skip ahead in priority without paying, causing havoc but none of muppet staff bothering to intervene .
Nice to be back in a cool place for a while !! Hope you-re keeping well !!

JJ you have to admit it is entertaing watching the "priority gang " vying for position only to discover some are in the wrong queue. I am good at the moment :)onwards and upwards when are you back in Tenerife will hopefully meet up with you next trip

junglejim
26-06-2011, 11:19
JJ you have to admit it is entertaing watching the "priority gang " vying for position only to discover some are in the wrong queue. I am good at the moment :)onwards and upwards when are you back in Tenerife will hopefully meet up with you next trip

I'm looking at a Ryanair flight on 25 August - my son is going out for a couple of weeks with his mates then I´ll follow up as" cleaning crew" until mid December -meanwhile I´m getting into babysitting mode with my new grandson !! ( He was over for 2 weeks earlier this month and loved our new pool !)
let us know if you´re about , and don´t forget the Bridies this time !!

Angusjim
26-06-2011, 11:27
I'm looking at a Ryanair flight on 25 August - my son is going out for a couple of weeks with his mates then I´ll follow up as" cleaning crew" until mid December -meanwhile I´m getting into babysitting mode with my new grandson !! ( He was over for 2 weeks earlier this month and loved our new pool !)
let us know if you´re about , and don´t forget the Bridies this time !!

Have not booked yet but will probably be November or early December ( will have to enquire to ensure my illegal apartment is available ) Bridie's will be packed :hungry:

tizzywizzy
26-06-2011, 11:32
but with hand luggage you don't have to check in, if you have printed your boarding pass -- i go to the straight to the gate -
no problem

You are correct you do not check in but Ryanair have started weighing all cabin baggage as you go to board in some airports.

kieraj
27-06-2011, 01:17
get a pre paid credit card, put your flight money on it and they don't charge the admin fee, just booked flights to alicante 70 pounds each return in september with 2 cases between 4 of us, couldn't get a train to London for that price, stick to their rules and regs and you can't go wrong.

WELSH CLASSIC
27-06-2011, 11:45
Travelled with them from Bristol in May In the duty free shops a sign said travelling with Ryan Air you are now allowed a purchase in any of the airport shops as a extra carry on.Checked with both shops and Ryan Air so bought duty free +water etc no problem.On our plane they had started to sell cigs.,spirits,perfumes so as not to have a closed shop they have allowed purchases in the airport.I and my wife take multiple bags and as long as they fit in one correct size/weight it is okay.What worries me the boss of Ryan Air was in the Paris Air Show looking to buy Chinese made aircraft 200+.I would not buy a car made by them.

sparklegirl
27-06-2011, 13:14
I’ve been going to Tenerife once or twice a year for the past 4 years and have travelled with Ryan Air every time. I have been very lucky and have never had any trouble with them. You get what you pay for and in this case you don’t pay much. I’m heading to Tenerife on the 2nd November for 7 days and have just bought my return ticket from Scotland for £195 (this includes the 20kilo baggage) I would advise anyone to use them

atlantico
27-06-2011, 13:42
ain't it a funny sight, watching them PRIORITY passengers queuing !! They actually think that priority boarding makes them VIP's ! What they don't know is THEY'RE NOT IMPORTANT ! and there's enough seats on the plane for everyone !

fixer
27-06-2011, 16:16
What worries me the boss of Ryan Air was in the Paris Air Show looking to buy Chinese made aircraft 200+.I would not buy a car made by them

Nor would i and i should know thats what i do for a living. David

dokgolf
27-06-2011, 17:01
ain't it a funny sight, watching them PRIORITY passengers queuing !! They actually think that priority boarding makes them VIP's ! What they don't know is THEY'RE NOT IMPORTANT ! and there's enough seats on the plane for everyone !

Try going with kids WITHOUT priority boarding. We did, ...................... never again, nightmare!

Ed3229
05-07-2011, 12:14
At it again..............:mad::mad:

http://www.walletpop.co.uk/2011/07/04/ryanairs-cynical-ploy-to-keep-charges-for-paying-by-card/

The OFT was supposed to have turned the tide against outrageous charges for using a debit or credit card. They announced that from now on companies can only charge customers a fee that reflects the tiny cost to the business. We were supposed to be waving goodbye to the days where the fee could make up a large proportion of the total cost.

But Ryanair looks like it's going to carry on with its charges - after finding a loophole.

Reactions
The move prompted Monarch to make a pre-emptive strike and abolish all charges for using a debit card. It did, however, increase its credit card charge at the same time, so it's not all plain sailing for customers.

Meanwhile Ryanair said the OFT's ruling wouldn't affect what Ryanair customers pay, because they aren't charged a fee for using a card - it's an 'administration fee'. Ryanair says that the fee is designed to pay the costs associated with the booking system. However, this administration cost is apparently £6 per person per flight if you pay by card and nothing if you use a Mastercard prepay card.

The fight
It's fairly certain that the OFT and Ryanair are doing to come to blows over this argument. Low cost airlines were specifically mentioned in the super-complaint that promoted the OFT ruling, so its not going to like any moves to get around the ruling.

The OFT has already indicated that if needs be it will seek a change in the law so that any charges associated with paying by debt card are factored into the headline price - because it is increasingly the ubiquitous form of payment.

So what can you do about it?
If you're dead keen to fly Ryanair and want to avoid the extra fees you can get hold of a pre-pay card and dodge the fees. Alternatively, some people may prefer to bite the bullet and pay the fees in order to use a credit card. As long as the tickets cost more than £100, this gives them additional rights in the event a flight is cancelled or the airlines goes under, as they can claim the money back from their credit card company.

Whatever your approach, it pays to shop around and factor in all the fees before booking a flight.

Susief
05-07-2011, 13:18
Not a problem if you get a prepaid MasterCard. We have just got a FairFX, saved us £24 only the other day!

sundownersvince
05-07-2011, 13:19
That may be so but they are so much cheaper than the competition. Coming on 18/7, £84 return from East Mids. Nine of the last ten flights I have made to TFS have been with Ryanair from various different airports and the other flight was with Thomas Cook..........7 hours late and ended up in Leeds instead of East Mids. Never been late yet with Ryanair, and I love the fanfare they put on as you land......another on-time flight with Ryanair. However I cannot understand most of the other announcements as most of the crews are not English. Could be Irish, Polish, who knows? Dont wanna buy any overpriced onboard 'duty frees' anyway.

dokgolf
05-07-2011, 14:41
Why would the crews be English?

Added after 2 minutes:

Not a problem if you get a prepaid MasterCard. We have just got a FairFX, saved us £24 only the other day!

Is there a charge on the prepaid Mastercard if you don't use it or when you cancel it?

atlantico
05-07-2011, 16:02
I've just ordered a pre-paid mastercard with CaxtonFX to book a Ryanair flight for next week - only to be told it'll take 7-10 days to arrive !!

Have to pay the £24 card charges now !

CaxtonFX charges below

Prepaid Card Purchase ZERO
Monthly Management Fee ZERO per month
Minimum load value£100 Maximum single load, £5,000 Maximum total balance£5,000
Monthly Management Fee ZERO per month
Loads cannot be undertaken by the secondary cardholder
Maximum point of sale limit per 24hr period£5,000
Maximum number of ATM withdrawals per 24hr period 2 (Irrespective of amount)
Daily ATM withdrawal limit£300
Domestic (UK) Point Of Sale Transaction£1.50 per transaction
Over the counter cash advances in a bank£4.50 per transaction plus 2% of the withdrawal amount for over the counter international cash advances
International Point Of Sale TransactionZERO per transaction
Domestic (UK) ATM Transaction £1.50 per transaction (Global Traveller Card)
International ATM Transaction ZERO per transactionLost and Stolen blockZERO
Customer service telephone enquiries £0.0336 per minute. (3.36p)
08:00 GMT - 18:00 GMT Monday - Friday
09:00 - 17:00 GMT Saturday - Sunday.
Customer service telephone enquiries£0.0085 (less than 1p) per minute at all other times.
Lost/Stolen Replacement Fee£5
PIN Issue/Re-issueZERO
Card Load/ReloadZERO% of load value subject to a minimum fee of ZERO
Redemption Fee £1.50 flat feeFX Mark Up2.5% of transaction amount where the transaction is performed in a different currency to the card

woolli
05-07-2011, 19:07
I've just ordered a pre-paid mastercard with CaxtonFX to book a Ryanair flight for next week - only to be told it'll take 7-10 days to arrive !!

Have to pay the £24 card charges now !

CaxtonFX charges below
No good to expats, as their T&Cs say you have to be a UK resident

Susief
05-07-2011, 19:32

There are a couple of the Spanish banks do them. Think Caja was one of them.

sundownersvince
05-07-2011, 19:58
You would expect the crews to be English because the planes are based in England. And before anyone else says it I know some are based in Tenerife but I cannot be asked to get to TFS at 5am to catch one. Wonder if they have Spanish crews.
I know there's only one gay in this v......forum but has anyone applied for a job with Ryanair?

Susief
05-07-2011, 20:10
Think you'll find they aren't based in UK.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair
Planes we have got on in UK have usually come from other destinations!

sundownersvince
05-07-2011, 20:19
Think you'll find they aren't based in UK.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair
Planes we have got on in UK have usually come from other destinations!

Yes that is the list of airports where the planes are based. You may also notice they go to 165 destinations but they go to bed at home.

atlantico
05-07-2011, 20:54

you can 'borrow' mine , . . . . . . as long as YOU keep it topped up !

lmt1970
05-07-2011, 22:30
We have just flown with ryanair. I have to say having two young children and not booking priority seats i was a little concerned with some of the horror stories i have read. I am happy to say that i couldn't fault them if i wanted to. We flew from Liverpool and everything was spot on. I forgot to mention that they were also £600 cheaper than i paid last year when we flew out with Thomson from doncaster.

slodgedad
05-07-2011, 22:41
Yes that is the list of airports where the planes are based. You may also notice they go to 165 destinations but they go to bed at home.

If you check the link again it states their headquarters as Dublin Airport

dokgolf
05-07-2011, 22:47
If you check the link again it states their headquarters as Dublin Airport

:D I didn't want to be the one to point that out ( being Irish an' all):D

sundownersvince
05-07-2011, 23:16
HQ is in Dublin yes but the planes are BASED at the airports in the list and fly out at least twice a day to their various destinations and return to their home airports. Hence you would expect to find Essex girls amongst the crew on a flight from Stansted and brummie bummies (sorry, couldn't resist it), on a flight from Birmingham.

A.P.&.S.S
06-07-2011, 10:01
[QUOTE=atlantico2;53319]I've just ordered a pre-paid mastercard with CaxtonFX to book a Ryanair flight for next week - only to be told it'll take 7-10 days to arrive !!

Thought you had had enough of Ryanair after you last issues at TFS ???

atlantico
06-07-2011, 12:56
ahh . . . . but I understand how they operate now . . . . . nothing like all the other airlines !!

A.P.&.S.S
06-07-2011, 13:07
ahh . . . . but I understand how they operate now . . . . . nothing like all the other airlines !!

LOL, no better, but no worse than others but normally cheaper? lol enjoy your flight!!

Leax
06-07-2011, 18:26
Try going with kids WITHOUT priority boarding. We did, ...................... never again, nightmare!

+1, travelling without it with 3 pre-schoolers was an experience not to be repeated, I'm sure we won't need it when the kids are a bit older. It would never have occurred to me that others could view it as self-importance.

balababe
06-07-2011, 19:14
I had a scary experience returning from Tenerife with Ryanair. I was near the end of the queue as I was far too lazy to stand in a line for ages and was told to place my backpack in the gauge. To my horror, it did not fit. However, it had fitted fine in Liverpool and in fact I had fewer things in than before, e.g. I was minus my laptop which I had left in my apartment. Madame Whiplash informed me that it was going into the hold, so I informed Madame Whiplash that it was not and I would do some adjustments (I had just remembered my coat was in it.) I was shown out of a different door and I hurriedly took my coat out, put it on and put some knickers etc. in my coat pockets. When I returned, the door was closed! However, I was luckier than Atlantico2; I banged on the door and was allowed in - the backpack (which is the correct size) still had to be forced into the gauge - however, I was allowed to go through. As I arrived on the tarmac, the aeroplane doors were being closed - I ran faster than I had for years and was allowed on. In spite of reading Atlantico2's post, it was not until this moment that I realised that they would have been quite happy to go without me. The flight attendants on the plane were very helpful when I arrived hot and bothered and when chatting with them, they told me that staff were paid bonuses for any luggage that had to be put into the hold. Could this be true? I was lucky - but I still do not understand why the bag did not fit - I will take a tape measure with me next time.

atlantico
07-07-2011, 16:49
OK, about to book flight and assumed UK to Tenerife with Ryanair will be cheaper as EVERYONE says Ryanair are !

sames dates (cheapest during July) for both airlines

Ryanair £174 (no suitcase)

Monarch £123 (no suitcase)

So, let it be said . . . . . . . . . Ryanair are NOT always the cheapest !!

A.P.&.S.S
07-07-2011, 16:59
OK, about to book flight and assumed UK to Tenerife with Ryanair will be cheaper as EVERYONE says Ryanair are !

sames dates (cheapest during July) for both airlines

Ryanair £174 (no suitcase)

Monarch £123 (no suitcase)

So, let it be said . . . . . . . . . Ryanair are NOT always the cheapest !!

I think it is mainly where you fly from, I have always traveled from Scotland, and they only fly Preswick & Edinburgh to TFS.....Prestwick was always cheaper for me, even tho it was further to travel by road it was still alot cheaper. My partner is coming out July 19th and agin Prestwick is still cheapest.....enough to allow her to stay in Travel lodge the night before due to an early morning flight time!!

Jet 2 & 1 other fly from Scotland but Mr Oleary is always cheapest......well when I have ever flown as I always look for the cheapest, not coz I'm tight just that all the flight companies are as bad as each other........people need to face it that its a sky taxi your on not a streached limo with all included!!

bonitatime
07-07-2011, 19:08
http://onethirdoff.rufusroo.com/

A thought for Ryanair travellers. A jacket which fits everything. Lets see how they get around this.

A.P.&.S.S
07-07-2011, 19:13

A thought for Ryanair travellers. A jacket which fits everything. Lets see how they get around this.

:lol: Like it :lol:

balababe
07-07-2011, 20:04
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/beat-budget-airline-charges

This is worth reading.

balababe
07-07-2011, 20:11

Just bought one! A lot cheaper than the one my partner bought from America.

Sunlover
07-07-2011, 21:10

There can be lots of reasons for booking priority boarding. Being a Yorkshire lass I have better things to do with £40, but if we end up sitting near the back of the plane my daughter gets horrific nose bleeds every time, so I just have to part with the cash. You can't always judge a book by it's cover, or people by how you perceive them to be.

bonitatime
07-07-2011, 21:57
I think more people book priority who want to be sure they sit together than any other reason I have seen on the fights I have been on. That said there was a flight to Liverpool last year where over 50 pax were priority. Work that out as a profit for nothing.(Nice money)

Medman
07-07-2011, 23:00

We always pay the extra £20 or whatever it is for the "priority" booking to ensure not only that my wife and I sit together but that we also get seats with extra legroom. We have done this about 8 times now and always managed to get the emergency seats in the middle of the plane. We don't feel important or VIPs, we are just happy to have the seats we wanted. And obviously we are aware that there are enough seats for everyone; I believe it's something to do with Ryanair knowing how many seats that their planes have and not selling any more tickets than they have seats. Seemples.

junglejim
08-07-2011, 06:13
It might be unthinkable but Michael O'Liary may have saved the planet by his charging excessive fees for luggage / millions of tons of luggage have been discarded on cheap flights , helping to save the ozone layer etc.... due to people carrying on luggage only!!

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news/Airline-passengers-packing-light-thanks.6797936.jp?articlepage=2

really will have to change my medication !!

Ecky Thump
08-07-2011, 06:25
It might be unthinkable but Michael O'Liary may have saved the planet by his charging excessive fees for luggage / millions of tons of luggage have been discarded on cheap flights , helping to save the ozone layer etc.... due to people carrying on luggage only!!

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news/Airline-passengers-packing-light-thanks.6797936.jp?articlepage=2

really will have to change my medication !!

I think all the husbands who fly with their wives on holiday owe our saviour Mr O'Leary a word of thanks for saving us a fortune in the unnecessary purchases that they previously bought for their holidays that were taken, but never used.:whistle:

junglejim
08-07-2011, 07:41
I think all the husbands who fly with their wives on holiday owe our saviour Mr O'Leary a word of thanks for saving us a fortune in the unnecessary purchases that they previously bought for their holidays that were taken, but never used.:whistle:

Ecky , unfortunately my wife just stores them in our apartment in Tenergrief ! 3 day stay up in Santa Cruz was my biggest mistake - more shoe shops than you can shake a 5 iron at !

davidj
11-07-2011, 20:19
I booked and paid for Ryanair flights from Manchester for 27th Dec for a week.
Thought it strange that nothing was showing on their website after booking even though booking was paid for and confirmed.Just had e-mail to say not only have times changed but also the day changed to 28th.
Due to work this is no good for us so have had to cancel.
Can only say that in future I will definately be booking with other airlines regardless of price!!!!,as people have said before I now agree they are c--p

caroletenerife
11-07-2011, 20:42
my daughter clicked the wrong day by mistake and then confirmed the transaction. She panicked and called the ryan air call centre and they changed it at their end and resent email, no charge

howard thornton
11-07-2011, 20:45
my daughter clicked the wrong day by mistake and then confirmed the transaction. She panicked and called the ryan air call centre and they changed it at their end and resent email, no charge

nice to hear some good news.

Susief
12-07-2011, 18:32
Brilliant news!

Ryanair News
News Release

RYANAIR ANNOUNCES NEW BASE (NO 45) IN MANCHESTER

26 ROUtes & 2M paX P.A. IN MANCHESTER

Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline, today (12th July) announced it would open its 45th base at Manchester in October 2011 initially with two based aircraft and 17 routes, growing to four aircraft and 26 routes by summer 2012. Ryanair’s new base will deliver up to 2m passengers p.a., 2,000 jobs and up to 260 weekly flights as Ryanair invests over $280 million at Manchester Airport.

Ryanair’s 26 Manchester routes (listed below) go on sale on www.ryanair.com tomorrow.

Ryanair celebrated its new 45th base in Manchester by releasing 1m £8 seats for travel in October, which are available for booking until midnight Thursday (14th July).

In Manchester, Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary said:

“Ryanair is delighted to unveil Manchester as our 45th base with 26 routes on sale on www.ryanair.com tomorrow. Now Manchester consumers/ visitors can beat the recession and escape easyjet’s and Jet2’s high fares by switching to Ryanair’s lowest fares and our no fuel surcharge guarantee to 26 exciting destinations in Italy, Germany and Spain among others. Ryanair’s 2m passengers p.a. will sustain up to 2,000 jobs at Manchester Airport and in the surrounding region.”

atlantico
12-07-2011, 18:45
pity they dont say which ones are in the first batch of 17 routes, our luck is that Tenerife will be in the 2nd batch by summer 2012

tonypub
12-07-2011, 18:53
just to add,for the first time ever,first choice are basing a plane at tfs in the winter,expect a busy time folks.

Susief
12-07-2011, 19:11
pity they dont say which ones are in the first batch of 17 routes, our luck is that Tenerife will be in the 2nd batch by summer 2012

They do 3 flights a week from Manchester to TFS already.

Dan747
12-07-2011, 23:13
The downside to this is the fact it will probably result in a reduction in flights by Monarch and Jet2 etc as Ryanair try and force the other carriers off the routes, which is a shame as personally I won't fly with Ryanair, one experience was enough for me.

O'Leary said today he plans to wipe out a few airlines from Manchester, the funny thing is the fact people say excellent news as Ryanair will bring the prices down... do people honestly expect the prices to remain low once he has got rid of the said competition. As he has said himself, their business model is not sustainable forever, it relies on constant growth, once that starts slowing which it has already started too now, the only way for Ryanair to remain profitable will be to increase their ticket prices as the actual operating costs for the routes are far higher than the average ticket prices at present.

Dan747
13-07-2011, 00:35
Ryanair do exactly what Michael O'Leary promises to do, give you a seat on the plane, nothing more and nothing less, as he likes to say, what do people expect for a flight which only costs a few pound.

I flew with Ryanair from Tenerife once a couple of years back and after that experience, I haven't travelled with them again, I'd probably stomach an hours flight to Dublin if it was cheap enough, but on a 4 hour flight, I'd rather go with another carrier and I've paid the extra to go with other airlines ever since.

From my perspective I didn't like the whole queuing at the gate malarkey, you could see people fighting to get in and others trying to jump infront, it was like a zoo, not exactly a nice way to fly. Plus the staff where miserable, not a single smile from one of them, although from what has been reported about the way Ryanair treat their staff, it's no surprise. But then again, you just need to check a certain aviation websites forum to see Ryanair staff describing their customers as 'the great unwashed' , shows how they really feel about their passengers!

TOTO 99
13-07-2011, 09:33
My partner is in the process of changing her surname by deed poll. Unfortunately we have a flight booked with Monarch later this year and they charge £100 !! to change the name. It's not even a different person travelling. So it's not just Ryanair that take the mick..:wall:

Jackalina
13-07-2011, 10:16
What's the saying, - ''speak as you find''?

We have flown Ryanair six times this year and goodness knows how many times last year, and have never had a single problem with them. They have been on time, staff have always been pleasant and courteous, and the flights have been by far the cheapest we could find.

That's how I feel too, I sometimes think I have been on a different airline than the one people are complaining about. In my opinion the worst airline is Thomas Cook where you are nearly sitting on the shoulders of the people in front.

balababe
15-07-2011, 14:25
Ryanair and Manchester Airport have now kissed and made up.

There will now be flights from Manchester to Tenerife.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-announces-new-base-no-45-in-manchester

Angusjim
16-07-2011, 08:43
I booked and paid for Ryanair flights from Manchester for 27th Dec for a week.
Thought it strange that nothing was showing on their website after booking even though booking was paid for and confirmed.Just had e-mail to say not only have times changed but also the day changed to 28th.
Due to work this is no good for us so have had to cancel.
Can only say that in future I will definately be booking with other airlines regardless of price!!!!,as people have said before I now agree they are c--p

Not just Ryanair who do this it has happened to me twice with charter flights at new year time :mad:

karinagal
16-07-2011, 12:48
Just landed on yet another on time flight with Ryanair. Nearly ran late as a family with young girls "didn't hear" the priority boarding calls and "didn't see" everyone queuing and were unable to get seats together...... Ahem.....

But, people moved to accommodate them and off we jolly well went and still arrived early!

Within 15 minutes of landing I was in the pool and ordering my first pint... Thanks uncle Mick, you're a legend..!

:D :D :D

tracey
16-07-2011, 13:06
My daughter is flying with only hand luggage. She has checked in online.

Does she go straight through to security?

Its probably an obvious answer but I have never used ryanair before and its her first solo flight.

Angusjim
16-07-2011, 13:38
Recently booked flights to Fuerteventura in August with luggage etc from Edinburgh great flight times ( well for us anyway out 8.00am back 1.30pm ) total for us both £212.00 was around double the price with others. :jumping::jumping:

atlantico
16-07-2011, 13:42
My daughter is flying with only hand luggage. She has checked in online.

Does she go straight through to security?

Its probably an obvious answer but I have never used ryanair before and its her first solo flight.

Yes, walk straight through into security checking area, make sure she has the A4 printed boarding card , and also the one for her return, they're different !

Also make sure hand luggage is of correct size and weight, as its £40 to check it in otherwise, and make sure she joins the queue early as they have a habit of closing the gate before everyone's on board, as they want to save time

junglejim
16-07-2011, 13:47
Make sure she buys water and sandwiches in Duty Free area as it's expensive on plane !!

Megaloo
16-07-2011, 14:23
Booked flights for friends this week with Ryanair some of you may already know, but you now have an option to pre-book seats the cost is 10 Euros or £10 each way but includes priority boarding. I now think that perhaps just paying for priority boarding to get leg room may be a waste if people are now going to pre-book their seats. Just a thought

Tom & Sharon
16-07-2011, 14:40
Flew into Tenerife south yesterday from Liverpool,even though we took off approx 10 minutes late from the scheduled time we still arrived 40 minutes earlier than the scheduled arrival time.
No problems,and thankfully i think they forgot to play the "another Ryanair on time flight" tune, there is a God:pray:

Tom :)

captain jack sparrow
05-08-2011, 21:52
Where flying out on tuesday for two weeks, Just bought some cabin trolley cases from sports direct, They were advertised as 20 inch cases, 55cm by 38cm, But when i got them home and measured them they were actually 58cm high, This was due to the handle on the top and the leg's on the bottom sticking out, So have just removed the carrying handle ( there is another one on the side anyway ) and sawn the legs on the bottom in half, They are now exactly 55cm high. I decided not to fall to Mr O'Leary's money making ploy at the last hurdle by being over by 3cm, I am now altering my lightweight jacket to use the lining as a large pocket in case we happen to be slightly over weight. He wont be making any extra out of me, Now whats the story about buying food and drinks in duty free, can these be carried on the plane in your pockets as long as they meet the 1 ltr rules ?

karinagal
05-08-2011, 21:58
Where flying out on tuesday for two weeks, Just bought some cabin trolley cases from sports direct, They were advertised as 20 inch cases, 55cm by 38cm, But when i got them home and measured them they were actually 58cm high, This was due to the handle on the top and the leg's on the bottom sticking out, So have just removed the carrying handle ( there is another one on the side anyway ) and sawn the legs on the bottom in half, They are now exactly 55cm high. I decided not to fall to Mr O'Leary's money making ploy at the last hurdle by being over by 3cm, I am now altering my lightweight jacket to use the lining as a large pocket in case we happen to be slightly over weight. He wont be making any extra out of me, Now whats the story about buying food and drinks in duty free, can these be carried on the plane in your pockets as long as they meet the 1 ltr rules ?

Nope, food and drink must fit into to your carry on luggage.... If you're flying late afternoon or evening, don't travel hungry or bring your own food on to the place as there will be hee-haw left... So factor in the weight of it into your allowance!!!

captain jack sparrow
05-08-2011, 22:08
Nope, food and drink must fit into to your carry on luggage.... If you're flying late afternoon or evening, don't travel hungry or bring your own food on to the place as there will be hee-haw left... So factor in the weight of it into your allowance!!!

OHH, there is no end to it, Do you think they would really know if you put some sarnies and a bottle of coke in your extra deep pockets :whistle:

P.S just been delivering around your hometown today karinagal.

Harmonicaman
05-08-2011, 22:15
OHH, there is no end to it, Do you think they would really know if you put some sarnies and a bottle of coke in your extra deep pockets :whistle:

...what's it called?...

karinagal
05-08-2011, 22:16

I'm sure they would have no idea if your pockets are sufficiently voluminous to accomodate them!!!!! Look at me using big words after 10pm!!!! So - what were you delivering?

...what's it called?...

Usually Numb and Cauld but it was awfully muggy today!! :p

Sunlover
05-08-2011, 22:18
Just returned from tenerife with Ryanair, and there are notices everywhere that you are now allowed one carrier bag per person with duty free goods in as well as the 10kg hand luggage. :cheeky:

karinagal
05-08-2011, 22:20
Just returned from tenerife with Ryanair, and there are notices everywhere that you are now allowed one carrier bag per person with duty free goods in as well as the 10kg hand luggage. :cheeky:

Wow! Really?! Do they specify what size of carrier bag?!!!!! :p Seriously, that's good news if they do!

Sunlover
05-08-2011, 22:29
Yes things are on the up I think, they also announced about being able to pre book seats in future. The flight attendants were scary though trying to insist we moved to the back on boarding. Hellllooo! I pay for priority to sit up front, not to be told where to sit.

captain jack sparrow
05-08-2011, 22:30
So - what were you delivering?

Usually Numb and Cauld but it was awfully muggy today!! :p

just doing some part time hgv driving, was up at marks and spencer dist centre and farmfoods dist centre at lenzimill rd. Lovely day today in cumbernauld.

junglejim
06-08-2011, 10:34
I think that may be a local agreement with the particular airport as at Prestwick I haven´t seen that- which airport did you fly from ?

fixer
06-08-2011, 15:32
You can take duty free on a ryan air flight at Prestwick as there would be no point in having a duty free in the airport as its mainly ryan air that fly from there ive double checked this. Heres a trick my friend uses he keeps a Prestwick duty free bag and puts his excess items in it he has not been stopped with it yet so as jj says other airports may have a similar agreement. David

bonitatime
06-08-2011, 16:20
It was in East Midlands at the end of June too. I guess the shops have made a fuss

Sunlover
07-08-2011, 21:53
I think that may be a local agreement with the particular airport as at Prestwick I haven´t seen that- which airport did you fly from ?

We flew from East Midlands.

captain jack sparrow
11-08-2011, 12:35
just a quick update from me, headed off up to edinburgh airport tuesday morning, called in at tesco bathgate to get some luggage straps in case our hand luggage was slightly bulging, booked carpark night before with NCP online, arrived at car park couple of hours early but didnt seem to matter with very friendly car park staff, had a laugh and a joke with them likewise with the woman bus driver. Ok , after i altered all our hand luggage to make sure it was very close to Ryanairs sizes ( within 1-2 cm ) by removing handles and chopping of the plastic legs on the bottom, I went to one of the ryanair hand baggage cages, to my surprise, my exact size cases ( 5 of ) Dropped in with any amount of room to spare, couple of inch ether size, So anyone who does get pulled is obviously well over size, Never saw any scales to weigh them even at departure gate, our heaviest was 9kg, in the que at departure ryanair staff very friendly, one member of staff walked the que obviously looking for over size bags, but out of the whole queue only 4 poeple were checked and they passed, by the time we got our bags collected up and children together we ended up 3/4 towards the back of the queue, nevertheless we still all managed to sit together, cabin crew were freindly and helpful, flight arrived 20 mins ahead of schedule, So all in all a very pleasant experience, we never checked any baggage in just used hand luggage and seem to have everything we need, Sorry to go on so long but just thought it was worth a mention to anyone like me who was apprehensive traveling with them, Now sat in matlocks bar with free wi-fi having a full english. :yum:

junglejim
11-08-2011, 13:28
just a quick update from me, headed off up to edinburgh airport tuesday morning, called in at tesco bathgate to get some luggage straps in case our hand luggage was slightly bulging, booked carpark night before with NCP online, arrived at car park couple of hours early but didnt seem to matter with very friendly car park staff, had a laugh and a joke with them likewise with the woman bus driver. Ok , after i altered all our hand luggage to make sure it was very close to Ryanairs sizes ( within 1-2 cm ) by removing handles and chopping of the plastic legs on the bottom, I went to one of the ryanair hand baggage cages, to my surprise, my exact size cases ( 5 of ) Dropped in with any amount of room to spare, couple of inch ether size, So anyone who does get pulled is obviously well over size, Never saw any scales to weigh them even at departure gate, our heaviest was 9kg, in the que at departure ryanair staff very friendly, one member of staff walked the que obviously looking for over size bags, but out of the whole queue only 4 poeple were checked and they passed, by the time we got our bags collected up and children together we ended up 3/4 towards the back of the queue, nevertheless we still all managed to sit together, cabin crew were freindly and helpful, flight arrived 20 mins ahead of schedule, So all in all a very pleasant experience, we never checked any baggage in just used hand luggage and seem to have everything we need, Sorry to go on so long but just thought it was worth a mention to anyone like me who was apprehensive traveling with them, Now sat in matlocks bar with free wi-fi having a full english. :yum:
Say hello to Matt for me , tell him John from Los Geranios !!

captain jack sparrow
11-08-2011, 21:01
Matt say's hi john, he is flat out serving at moment so dont want to bother him to much.

uptowngirl
11-08-2011, 21:32
WHAT AN ABSOLUTE FARCE FROM 'NUMPTY AIRWAYS'

Now, I am a believer that with Ryanair, as long as you play by the rules, its fine!!!

NOT THE CASE AFTER TODAYS EXPERIENCE!!!

Armed with 18 month old and borrowed 5 year old, we were at the TFS airport for 0400 this morning, ready for our 0630 departure.

One MASSIVE Queue as they were using 3 check ins for 3 flights, all mixed together.

Eventually got to front, weighed case, its 5 kilos over.............. oh, I booked 20 kgs, no you didn't she says, so rather than argue, went round the corner and repacked and sorted it.

Back to check in, she is now closing but she has passed all our paperwork (boarding cards) to her colleague. NO PROBLEM. Case no correct weight, off we go.

Where's your boarding cards please? exclaims he................. you have them, exclaims I. No I haven't................. yes you have. Original check in bird steps in............ you have, I gave you the ladies paperwork.

5 check in staff fannying around and 3 boarding cards nowhere to be seen.

Now I am aware that I need to be in that god damned queue by the gate, otherwise I will not get 2 seats together.............................

They print me two boarding cards and write in biro on one, + INF

Send case through and put tag on pushchair bag, but only one receipt, which I point out to him as to which he tries to tell me I don't need one. OH YES I DO!!!!
Miraculously, he then thinks about it for a minute, moves a tag round and I get 2 receipts for my bags!!

Pushchair in bag has to go through check in 13..................... no problem, waited ten minutes............ no one there............. got to Numpty Air desk to ask how long as time is now getting on as with all the farting around with the boarding cards..........................

So I say, can we hurry up because you have now delayed me and I am not going to be able to get two seats???

Answer.............. NO, you must pay for priority

(to cut a long story short, I had already checked in online when my friend asked me to take her 5 year old so this was not an option)

Eventually, pram goes through

I go to security with my 2 boarding passes.

No, you can't go through, you need 3 passes.

But they have written + INF...........................
No, you can't go through........................

So back to Ryan Air....................... at this stage I am stressed, I have two very young children who have had little sleep and I have had no sleep and I am dealing with a bunch of clowns!!!

Excuse me, but I need 2 seats together...............................

Not my problem, you should come early...............................

But I did..................................... you lost my boarding cards

No I didn't

No love, not you personally, but RyanAir did and now I am unlikely to get 2 seats together and I don't think it is right for a 5 year old little girl to be sat on her own, do you???

Ryan air office tries to close, numpty from check in runs to get another boarding card stamped..............................

I run like hell through security, I am now there for final call for flight

Passport, no probs, boarding cards, no prob.............

Jobsworth checking handbaggage................. yes mate its fine, I travel Ryanair lots, it fits.

So I put baggage in, jump up and down it a few times............ it goes in........

Madam, it has to go in and out really easily.....................

So I put baby down, try to sort bag, as to which jobsworth numpty steps forward and knocks baby flat on her face on floor and she screams the airport down!!

NOT HAPPY!!! As to which whether it was the correct thing to do or not, he has just hurt my daughter and if he thinks I am going to continue my argument about the baggage size then he can actually kiss my **** at this stage................ so I go to aeroplane.................

Hi to the hostess, listen, I really need two seats together, I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old and through no fault of my own, I have missed boarding.

You should have come earlier

I tried............................... ask your check in staff

Well, no seats together

OK, no problem at all................ you look after the 5 year old!!

HORRIFIED looks all around. Well what does she want me to do??? Get off the plane cos I can't get a seat next to the little lass? We are flying with or without 2 seats together, but you will have to look after her

But madam, you should have been here early..................... yes I have been here since 4 am thank you very much but because of your colleagues incompetence, I couldn't camp out at the front of the queue................... so anyway, where do you want the 5 year old to sit so you can look after her?

No madam, I cannot, and if you want to ask people to move then do so

No love, YOUR the hostess............... if YOU don't want to look after the 5 year old which can't be sat next to me, then YOU do your job and YOU ask someone if they could be as so kind to move around a bit.

So I find a seat for 5 year old, and one a few rows away for me and baby............. luggage in lockers around row 10 and about to sit down..........

Hostess returns, we have 3 seats together.................. fantastic!!! I am happy now.

But you must leave your baggage here...................

I am now past caring and plane is wanting to go and a few people behind me want to sit down.............. so I take the seats.

Fairly stress free flight, go kids to sleep. Had to keep leaving 5 year old in charge of one year old whilst I kept going up and down for food, drinks, colouring books etc.

Get off in airport...................passport control.

Are these both your daughters.

No they are not and I now know you are going to ask me for a letter and proof, which I have, but its in my suitcase which I haven't collected yet............ AARRGGHH!

Do you want the little one to wait with you whilst I get it??

No, I will ask her. Now then sweetheart............... who's this lady?? Bless her , she is that tired she just looks at the passport control officer gone out and takes at least 40 seconds to answer, thats my Auntie Nessy lolololo

Carousel........................... I get suitcase.................. then I need to wait for pram at which stage 5 year old has lost hold of one year old and one year old is now sat on the carousel...................

Coin needed for luggage trolley........................... open hand luggage, ZIP SNAPS!!!

Nice blue holdall arrives, but thats not mine cos mine hasn't got a padlock...............

YUP, to cut a long story short, someone has taken my pushchair by mistake!!!

Servisair.................. fab, did everything they could. We found a number, but a landline and they offered to let me have a pushchair to use until mine got sorted.

Eventually chose a chavtastic wreck that was styled like the flag of st george............ to cut another long story short, I couldn't collapse it so I just gave it back to them.

Filled out all paperwork

Met dad, who then proceeded to lose the car............... I found it 25 minutes later................. car seat no bloody fixed in, that was like the bleedin krypton factor............................

Straight to KFC to regain all the weight I have just lost!!!

On a good note, I have just been reunited with my pushchair , it has just been delivered to my parent.

On a better note than that.................. I am flying home with JET2

Even worse, when I go on my next cruise, I have Ryanair to Barcelona............... GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH!!!!!

All in all................... not a good start.......................... I am now going to Asda 24 hour to buy new hand luggage ready for my weekend away on my ownsome and buy lots of treats as I think I deserve it after the day from hell!!!!

OH and PS, just checked my paperwork............. I DID book 20kg.................. so if that original dimwit had read the information properly, then half of the above wouldn't have been an issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crying2:

TenerifeFanatic
11-08-2011, 21:43
Think you should treat yourself to a few bottles of your favourite tipple!!!.......What a stressful journey!! Well done you for surviving it!:wave:

Harmonicaman
11-08-2011, 21:49
Aw! Poor auntie Nessie:laugh: I really feel for you going through all that!:tiphat:

MaxineC
11-08-2011, 22:14
Sorry V, but I just wet myself laughing... Glad you're finally there! :rofl: :rofl:

Medman
11-08-2011, 22:28
But apart from that everything was fine UG ? Que? :D

Santiago
11-08-2011, 23:18
Reckon you should try and get that published in a magazine or newspaper - hopefully they would pay you enough to travel with a decent airline!

Andy0210
11-08-2011, 23:30
Sorry V, but I just wet myself laughing... Glad you're finally there! :rofl: :rofl:

Me too! I bet some of Ryan Scares staff are still trembling gibbering wrecks now! ;)

slodgedad
11-08-2011, 23:40
Me too! I bet some of Ryan Scares staff are still trembling gibbering wrecks now! ;)If Vanessa can't sort 'em out then no one can

kieraj
11-08-2011, 23:57
what a nightmare, you really should put complaints in, about your treatment especially the person who knocked the baby to the floor x

Andy0210
12-08-2011, 00:22
If Vanessa can't sort 'em out then no one can

Who you gonna call? Ness Busters!

Actually, that sounds quite wrong! :laugh:

Leam_Lin
12-08-2011, 09:53
What an absolute nightmare for you...............Typical jobsworth..................

bonitatime
12-08-2011, 10:41
Glad it all worked out in the end

tizzywizzy
12-08-2011, 10:42
You have to put a complaint in. What a nightmare for you. So glad the 3 of you got there eventually.

balababe
13-08-2011, 08:19
I had a scary experience returning from Tenerife with Ryanair. I was near the end of the queue as I was far too lazy to stand in a line for ages and was told to place my backpack in the gauge. To my horror, it did not fit. However, it had fitted fine in Liverpool and in fact I had fewer things in than before, e.g. I was minus my laptop which I had left in my apartment. Madame Whiplash informed me that it was going into the hold, so I informed Madame Whiplash that it was not and I would do some adjustments (I had just remembered my coat was in it.) I was shown out of a different door and I hurriedly took my coat out, put it on and put some knickers etc. in my coat pockets. When I returned, the door was closed! However, I was luckier than Atlantico2; I banged on the door and was allowed in - the backpack (which is the correct size) still had to be forced into the gauge - however, I was allowed to go through. As I arrived on the tarmac, the aeroplane doors were being closed - I ran faster than I had for years and was allowed on. In spite of reading Atlantico2's post, it was not until this moment that I realised that they would have been quite happy to go without me. The flight attendants on the plane were very helpful when I arrived hot and bothered and when chatting with them, they told me that staff were paid bonuses for any luggage that had to be put into the hold. Could this be true? I was lucky - but I still do not understand why the bag did not fit - I will take a tape measure with me next time.

Update on my previous post - my partner travelled back yesterday with exactly the same bag - and he was not asked to put it in the gauge. Could it be that he is over six feet and largish? Maybe I looked like an easy target - I am still convinced that the gauge is smaller than the one in Liverpool.

Jollypolly
13-08-2011, 08:44
Update on my previous post - my partner travelled back yesterday with exactly the same bag - and he was not asked to put it in the gauge. Could it be that he is over six feet and largish? Maybe I looked like an easy target - I am still convinced that the gauge is smaller than the one in Liverpool.

I remember not so long ago watching a consumer programme on TV about this matter of a bag fitting in a gauge at check in but not fitting in the gauge at the gate. The programme had a box made up exactly to the measurements and took it to the airport to check it out. The box fitted the check in gauge perfectly, but at the gate it was a different story.... it wouldnt fit, the reason.... the gauge at the gate had rounded corners making the gauge slightly smaller. The airline in question (I forget which one at this moment) declared they had no knowledge of this size difference and promised to look into it. For the consumer programme to take the trouble to investigate proves that there must have been a considerable number of complaints about this happening.

anto3
13-08-2011, 12:35
Ryanair are such ass.... Just measure my hand luggage and it is 55cm but the wheel and stand is 3cm that makes 58.do you think i will have a problem, Had a run in with them a few weeks ago, they were trying to say i did not book a bag which i did

Jimandsi
13-08-2011, 12:45
To stay out of trouble you'll need to saw the wheels off, as they stipulate a total length of 55cm and no more.

You'll also find that it won't go in the overhead locker lengthways either !

karinagal
13-08-2011, 13:40
Don't saw anything off yet - I'll get back to you later with the dimensions of the case that I have and have used for the last 7 trips with no problem. I have a feeling that it may be closer to the 58cm in total height.... I just can't find the measuring tape just now and need to go out... I will get back to you today...

anto3
13-08-2011, 14:03
Think i will get someone to buy me a Ryanair case for my birhtday. I have six with wheels

candy2411
13-08-2011, 14:12
My cabin trolley case measures 55 cms but allowing for the legs and fully depressed handle is actually 58 cms,

I've used it lots of times and never had a problem....they have asked me on occasion to make sure it fits in their case grid measuring thingy and it always is ok

no problem storing it in overhead locker either....

have a good trip

Jimandsi
13-08-2011, 17:12
From RyanAir's T's and C's .....

Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc.) must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage.

Extra/oversized cabin baggage will be refused at the boarding gate, or where available, placed in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of £40/€40. If you are unsure, check at the Bag Drop desk before going through security.

Suggest you either saw the wheels off your current one or buy a new one from Argos for a tenner.

Have a good trip.

chifleta
13-08-2011, 18:21
trick: if they ask you to put it in the box that they have in front of the check-in desk.... "tilt" the case slightly, so you're putting one corner in first instead of straight down - this works with easyjet and monarch "check your handluggage fits in here" boxes, but not sure about ryanair :spin: ... I keep considering one of those jackets that you can put everything in, but worry that you'd end up with so much stuffed in it that you'd end up looking like a suicide terrorist :D

anto3
13-08-2011, 21:19
Is there anyone out there who bought the Ryanair case could you measure it please,. Has it got wheels

Jimandsi
13-08-2011, 21:29
Is there anyone out there who bought the Ryanair case could you measure it please,. Has it got wheels

That'll be an extra €5 to measure it :crylaughing:

Harmonicaman
13-08-2011, 21:34

Ryanair don't sell cases.:confused: See post #5.:)

Edit: My most humble apologies, OH tells me Ryanair DO sell cases...now there's a surprise.

howard thornton
13-08-2011, 21:36
Is there anyone out there who bought the Ryanair case could you measure it please,. Has it got wheels pm susie f, she is the forum ryanair rep, she will tell you all you need to know.

Jimandsi
13-08-2011, 21:43
Ryanair don't sell cases.:confused: See post #5.:)

Edit: My most humble apologies, OH tells me Ryanair DO sell cases...now there's a surprise.

That's why they have recently become even keener to ban oversize cases on board as hand luggage ;)

Jackie
13-08-2011, 21:44
trick: if they ask you to put it in the box that they have in front of the check-in desk.... "tilt" the case slightly, so you're putting one corner in first instead of straight down - this works with easyjet and monarch "check your handluggage fits in here" boxes, but not sure about ryanair :spin: ... I keep considering one of those jackets that you can put everything in, but worry that you'd end up with so much stuffed in it that you'd end up looking like a suicide terrorist :D

Unfortunately this doesn't work with Ryanair, if you are asked to put your case in their 'case measurer' the member of staff that has asked you will watch you like a bloody hawk to make sure you put it in straight. Anyone caught trying to tilt their case to make it fit will be put in stocks and have rotten tomatoes thrown at them prior to being told they will have to pay an excess for the wrong size bag/case. I have only flown a couple of times in the last four and half years but if I was flying regularly on holiday I would definately get one of those jackets just to P off the Ryanair staff at the boarding gate because that is where they seem to catch most of their prey. Having said that I have only flown once with Ryanair and they were such a shower of poo I wouldn't use them again out of choice.

Harmonicaman
13-08-2011, 21:48
I like Ryanair...obey their rules and they'll take you to Tenerife more cheaply than any other airline.http://bestsmileys.com/cars/1.gif

Jackie
13-08-2011, 22:07
I like Ryanair...obey their rules and they'll take you to Tenerife more cheaply than any other airline.http://bestsmileys.com/cars/1.gif

I did obey their rules but they are still a shower of poo ;)

Harmonicaman
13-08-2011, 22:18
I did obey their rules but they are still a shower of poo ;)

Is that shampoo or real poo?;)

Medman
13-08-2011, 23:22

:agree: flown with them at least 30 times and never a problem even during the ash cloud cancellation. Long live Ryanair.......:bowdown:

karinagal
13-08-2011, 23:29
Don't saw anything off yet - I'll get back to you later with the dimensions of the case that I have and have used for the last 7 trips with no problem. I have a feeling that it may be closer to the 58cm in total height.... I just can't find the measuring tape just now and need to go out... I will get back to you today...

Sorry to take so long to get back to you - I was wrong.... my case is 49 cms tall including handle and legs/wheels. It is from the Sub Zero range - see here (http://www.directluggage.co.uk/sub-zero-g-super-light-weight-two-wheel-trolley-case-49cm-in-black.html)

Megaloo
14-08-2011, 15:56
Sorry to take so long to get back to you - I was wrong.... my case is 49 cms tall including handle and legs/wheels. It is from the Sub Zero range - see here (http://www.directluggage.co.uk/sub-zero-g-super-light-weight-two-wheel-trolley-case-49cm-in-black.html)

I have the same case, but where you have to be careful is that you do not put too much bulk in the front pockets otherwise it is too wide.eek2:

karinagal
14-08-2011, 16:05
I have the same case, but where you have to be careful is that you do not put too much bulk in the front pockets otherwise it is too wide.eek2:

Good point! It's all down to careful packing... that's the Ryanair way!!!!

onelegnofeet
14-08-2011, 16:36
Think i will get someone to buy me a Ryanair case for my birhtday. I have six with wheels

Just read this thread ,you must have some real loved ones for a birthday present !!! Ryanair &Samsonite have got together to make approved carry on bags at a "mere" 79 euros /£69 ..........
www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-and-samsonite-launch-approved-carry-on-bag

free delivery anywhere in europe .............wonder if they get it to you free from dents ,scratches etc ???

Jimandsi
14-08-2011, 17:30
wonder if they get it to you free from dents ,scratches etc ???

Nah - the dents are €3 each and the scratches are €4 each !

atlantico
14-08-2011, 17:38
£44.95 for a bag ? try ebay for a lightweight canvas one at £11.70 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheeled-Hand-Luggage-Cabin-Travel-Bag-RYANAIR-54x33x19-/220812693451?pt=UK_Tickets_Travel_Luggage_CA&var=&hash=item7914e69738#ht_782wt_825)

Balcony
14-08-2011, 18:18
Ryanair simply sell grief, or so my pals tell em....

anto3
14-08-2011, 21:51
Just printed my ticket and relise i never booked a bag. always take one bag, anyway now it cost 50 euro so decided not to take one. sick measuring bags to get it right. decided to bring shopping trolley and bend it in two to get right size.

captain jack sparrow
24-08-2011, 15:13
Well, just arrived back in england this morning with another hassle free ryanair flight, Arrived at TFS and went straight through security as we had no check in luggage, As i mentioned in a previous post we managed to fit all of our clothes etc for the fortnight into our exact size cabin luggage, ( 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 children ) Spotted a ryanair baggage cage on the way past so i just popped the cases in to be on the safe side, All fitted in no problem, proceeded to our gate and were first there, just chilled out for a hour or so with a coffee and snacks, Went to get some drinks to take on board, what a rip off !! Small bottles of coke were 3.25 euro, and as you cant take them through security into departure lounge you are forced to pay there over inflated prices, Flight was due to depart at 19.00 so i grabbed my cases and walked up to the door and started to queue at 18.15, within 30 secs all of the passengers were queuing behind me, we did not book priority boarding but felt we would definitely get 5 seats together as there wasn't that many in the priority queue, So as we walked across the tarmac to board the plane i noticed that the cabin crew had just opened the rear door and were waving passengers to use it, so we diverted and boarded the plane via the rear steps whilst 3/4 of the priority passengers were still queueing on the front steps, Again as on the outward journey, all staff were very polite and helpful, the flight arrived 20 mins early and again and we had no check in luggage to collect so all in all a top class service from ryanair, Just stick to there rules about baggage sizes, be at the gate ontime and print out your own boarding cards and you've cracked it.

Just a little tip, i took a lightweight jacket with me with the inner lining converted to a large pocket, so if i did get pulled for over size or weight i could quickly empty some contents of the case into my pocket to save the £40 fine, i still used it to to take food and drinks onboard and the wifes handbag then emptied it on the plane.

captain jack sparrow
24-08-2011, 17:06
i bought 2 dunlop cases from sports direct, 20" ones, they were very slightly oversize so i sawed the legs in half, they seem to be good quality for £9.99 each. fitted in the ryanair cages no problem. look at the ryanair sticky thread at the top.

kingbaker
24-08-2011, 18:37
i bought 2 dunlop cases from sports direct, 20" ones, they were very slightly oversize so i sawed the legs in half, they seem to be good quality for £9.99 each. fitted in the ryanair cages no problem. look at the ryanair sticky thread at the top.

I only do hand-luggage now-----------amazing what I THOUGHT I needed--but didn't

Methinks that you need to GET A LIIIIIFFFFFEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :tiphat:

captain jack sparrow
24-08-2011, 19:08
I only do hand-luggage now-----------amazing what I THOUGHT I needed--but didn't

Methinks that you need to GET A LIIIIIFFFFFEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :tiphat:

These were hand luggage, please explain the get a life bit rolleyes2:

balababe
24-08-2011, 20:18
I hope you also booked with a prepaid mastercard?

captain jack sparrow
24-08-2011, 20:39
I hope you also booked with a prepaid mastercard?

Haha. nope, its first time ive flown with them and wasnt aware of the booking system, so i was stung with the £60 booking fee, think that made me more determined not to get caught out with any other fines.

balababe
24-08-2011, 21:00
Haha. nope, its first time ive flown with them and wasnt aware of the booking system, so i was stung with the £60 booking fee, think that made me more determined not to get caught out with any other fines.

The FairFX currency card is very good - you can top it up with euros when the exchange rate is good - and they are always above the rate given by the PO and banks. www.fairfx.com.

karinagal
25-08-2011, 11:29
I use the Caxton FX card. No charges to get it or use it...

Bazzer
25-08-2011, 13:53
Caxton FX are now Visa.........

anto3
25-08-2011, 14:11
Well i am in Holland for a month, i just relise i had not booked a bag the night before so looked at ryanair and it would cost 50 euro so decide i would buy something in holland if i need it. Anyway i start to pack 2 10kg bags. for the other half i packed one black trs. he was wearing jeans on the flight. 4 shirts, 6 underpants. and of course 6packet 200 fags. For me i packed one dress one skirt, one black trs. and i was wearing my jeans.i took my mini dvd player and video, 6 tops. i wore a little jacket and my coat going. We both took a extra pair of shoes.Filled the bag with a few extra. I had been away two weeks before that in Germany and never wore half of my clothes. so this is what i will be travelling with in future. no waiting at baggage for me no more. The only thing in each place we had a washer dryer.So when you travel again look at what you did not wear. regards make up i took a few 100 ml bottles which i was allowed. I have spent my 50 euro on clothes here which i will wear home.

its not me
25-08-2011, 14:18
Haha. nope, its first time ive flown with them and wasnt aware of the booking system, so i was stung with the £60 booking fee, think that made me more determined not to get caught out with any other fines.whats the 60pound booking about

BobMac
25-08-2011, 14:26
I use the Caxton FX card. No charges to get it or use it...

Won't help you with RyanAir - it has to be a Visa Electron to avoid their admin charge; Easyjet will accept it as a payment without charging an admin fee though.

Caxton FX are now Visa.........

Not according to their website

Angusjim
25-08-2011, 14:33
Won't help you with RyanAir - it has to be a Visa Electron to avoid their admin charge; Easyjet will accept it as a payment without charging an admin fee though.

Not according to their website

I use a Mastercard prepaid card on Ryanair with no charges

captain jack sparrow
25-08-2011, 14:42
whats the 60pound booking about

The booking fee is an administration fee to enable you to pay with your ordinary credit card, It is added automatically at the end when you book online and choose your selected method of payment, They currently charge £6 per person per flight, ( 5 of us = £30 + return flight = £60.

Im sure BobMac that ryanair only accept Prepaid credit cards now as their free method of payment.
They are legaly bound to offer one free method of payment if they are going to add a payment charge to pay via credit card.

Bazzer
25-08-2011, 14:43
If you click on FAQ's Mastercard Caxton's site tells you they are now Visa

Visa Electron no good to Ryanair, their website states has to be a Mastercard Pre Paid Debit Card to avoid the admi fee.

BobMac
25-08-2011, 14:44
whats the 60pound booking about

See below for details of their baggage charges to Canaries

Checked Baggage*-Fees per bag/per one way flight

(Each passenger permitted to check-in up to 2 bags)

Peak is defined as flights departing 1 June-21 Sept inc. & 21 Dec- 4 Jan 2012 inc.

Booked OnLine

1st Bag (15kg) Off Peak £20
1st Bag (15kg) Peak £25

1st Bag (20kg) Off Peak £30
1st Bag (20kg) Peak £35
2nd Bag (15kg) Off Peak £40
2nd Bag (15kg) Peak £45

Booked Through Call Centre

1st Bag (15kg) Off Peak £40
1st Bag (15kg) Peak £45

1st Bag (20kg) Off Peak £30
1st Bag (20kg) Peak £55

2nd Bag (15kg) Off Peak £80
2nd Bag (15kg) Peak £85

Excess Baggage Fee - Per Kilo

This can only be purchased at the airport ticket desk/kiosk £20

dokgolf
25-08-2011, 14:46

Visa Electron no good to Ryanair, their website states has to be a Mastercard Pre Paid Debit Card to avoid the admi fee.

Yep, they seemed to have changed from Visa Electron as their fee free cards

BobMac
25-08-2011, 15:14

OOOps

I got myself in a bit of a twist

EasyJet are PrePaid Visa Electron to avoid the Admin Charge

RyanAir are PrePaid Mastercard to avoid the Admin charge

Can you actually get a prepaid Visa Electron card now ??

Added after 34 minutes:

Yep, they seemed to have changed from Visa Electron as their fee free cards

Apparently, Mastercard bought the Travelex card business earlier this year

That probably explains the changes in what is accepted

kingbaker
25-08-2011, 18:33
OOOps

I got myself in a bit of a twist

EasyJet are PrePaid Visa Electron to avoid the Admin Charge

RyanAir are PrePaid Mastercard to avoid the Admin charge

Can you actually get a prepaid Visa Electron card now ??

Added after 34 minutes
Apparently, Mastercard bought the Travelex card business earlier this year

That probably explains the changes in what is accepted

HI BOBMAC I have a Visa Electron currently from La Caja De Canarias, Its attached to a deposit (non resident)
account with an old fashioned Bank Book. Ryanair--- use Mastercard Prepaid only to avoid cc charges. Hope this helps.:wave:

karinagal
25-08-2011, 21:14

Yes, it does work with Ryanair - I have used it for this several times this year already!! Doesn't work on Jet 2 - or at least it didn't the one time we used them this year....

Just noticed the Visa sign on the website as previously said - oh dear, does this mean when my card expires I won't be able to use it without fees on Ryanair? Blast..... still, I use the card mostly for buying stuff and taking cash out when I'm there so no harm no foul.... Guess Ryanair like to keep us on our toes so we don't get complacent?!!

BobMac
25-08-2011, 22:09
Yes, it does work with Ryanair - I have used it for this several times this year already!! Doesn't work on Jet 2 - or at least it didn't the one time we used them this year....

Just noticed the Visa sign on the website as previously said - oh dear, does this mean when my card expires I won't be able to use it without fees on Ryanair? Blast..... still, I use the card mostly for buying stuff and taking cash out when I'm there so no harm no foul.... Guess Ryanair like to keep us on our toes so we don't get complacent?!!

I know it does

See my post 185 below

Faraway
26-08-2011, 12:43
I didn't know about this 60.00 charge - have they just introduced it? I'm gonna have to book a flight with them soon so could do with getting a visa card then but how do you get one here? Will the Caja Canarias do one?

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 12:52
I didn't know about this 60.00 charge - have they just introduced it? I'm gonna have to book a flight with them soon so could do with getting a visa card then but how do you get one here? Will the Caja Canarias do one?

The charge is £6 per person each way so if its just 2 of you then it would be £24. Personally, even if it was just myself flying, I'd still get whatever card is necessary to avoid paying the charge so as not to give Michael O'Leary any more than is absolutely necessary.

karinagal
26-08-2011, 14:57
I know it does

See my post 185 below

Dang and blast.... Oh well, I can keep using it until it expires... Just have to make the most of it while I can :D

BobMac
26-08-2011, 17:00

See post 186

kingbaker
27-08-2011, 16:45
Dang and blast.... Oh well, I can keep using it until it expires... Just have to make the most of it while I can :D

and the solution is ADVANCED BOOKING :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

karinagal
28-08-2011, 00:56
and the solution is ADVANCED BOOKING :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

Funny you should say that......! Currently booked for 2 weeks in September, a week in October, and one in January.... and on pay day I'm planning to book another week in December!! :D :D :D :D :D

TOTO 99
28-08-2011, 10:26
Funny you should say that......! Currently booked for 2 weeks in September, a week in October, and one in January.... and on pay day I'm planning to book another week in December!! :D :D :D :D :D

Cumbernauld eh Karina? Would that by any chance be the inland revenue that are paying you all this money? The very people who've reduced my number of visits this year. If it is, perhaps you could arrange for some to be given back to me, it's for a good cause..:cheeky:

dokgolf
28-08-2011, 18:56
Would anyone know if Ryanair's priority boarding is limited to a specific number of seats? The thought just occured after reading another thread here about Easyjet. The poster said that at the boarding gate, the people who HADN'T priority boarding should move to the right. Apparently only 30 out of 230 hadn't purchased it. If so, this is a farce. IF its the same case with Ryanair, then I'm damned if I'm going to give O'Leary any more of my hard earned dosh!

zardoz
28-08-2011, 19:11
Ryanair let eveone who want purchase priority booking, Easyjet only allow aprx 30 on priority

dokgolf
28-08-2011, 19:14
Ryanair let eveone who want purchase priority booking, Easyjet only allow aprx 30 on priority Can anyone confirm this? ( Not that I'm doubting you Zardoz, its just that there are two opinions being bandied about.)

junglejim
28-08-2011, 19:36
Can anyone confirm this? ( Not that I'm doubting you Zardoz, its just that there are two opinions being bandied about.)
i have never seen any quota on available priority boarding and have seen over 50 in priority queue at Reina Sofia .