PDA

View Full Version : Other Opticians

Cousincas
28-12-2017, 10:55
Hi. Has anyone in the South bought new glasses recently? The last pair I bought were 700 euros and I'm looking for somewhere cheaper

garlicbread
28-12-2017, 11:04
If you really value your eyesight then price should not be an issue. If you need glasses then first of all go to a fully qualified optician for an eye test and then discuss with him/her which lenses meet your needs. If you need to buy designer frames to be trendy then they obviously cost more too, but it is the lenses that are most important. I recommend Optica Downes in calle Grande Adeje, Adeje, 100 metres down from the Town Hall, the owner does speak English. If you want the best , you have to pay a fair price. If on the other hand you're not bothered about quality go to anyone who sells cheap lenses usually from China, there's dozens of them about, the market keader is Spec Savers in the UK but there are others here in Tenerife that operate on similar principals.

delderek
28-12-2017, 11:40
If you really value your eyesight then price should not be an issue. If you need glasses then first of all go to a fully qualified optician for an eye test and then discuss with him/her which lenses meet your needs. If you need to buy designer frames to be trendy then they obviously cost more too, but it is the lenses that are most important. I recommend Optica Downes in calle Grande Adeje, Adeje, 100 metres down from the Town Hall, the owner does speak English. If you want the best , you have to pay a fair price. If on the other hand you're not bothered about quality go to anyone who sells cheap lenses usually from China, there's dozens of them about, the market keader is Spec Savers in the UK but there are others here in Tenerife that operate on similar principals.

Good advice in general, but, the cost of lenses is, and can be a rip off. Some independents try and make a lot of money on lenses.

So go for a good brand but as with everything these days shop around. I saved 150.00 pounds on my lenses, by ringing round opticians in my area. Or Glasses direct supply any make of lens you specify.

AndyG
28-12-2017, 16:12
I wanted some contact lenses as I had nearly run out. I went into an opticians in Playa San Juan and was quoted €120 for six months supply. I ordered them in the UK for £47 and picked them up when I was next visiting family. Similarly with new glasses, I had a free eye test when I was in the UK and then ordered 2 new pairs ( one sunglasses, one normal) from Glasses Direct for a total cost of less than £50. My family brought them when they visited and they are perfect for my needs. I know some people need replacements quickly, but if you can plan ahead and pick them up when you are next in the UK, they seem much cheaper!

delderek
29-12-2017, 10:35
Provided you have a current prescription, Glasses direct will manufacture and ship internationally.

Cousincas
29-12-2017, 11:09
Thanks for the replies. Specsavers in UK would be my first choice as I've always found them good value for money in the past, but I won't be going for a long while. I've often considered Glasses Direct but not known anyone who's used them. Now I have a recommendation I will give them a go. I've used a few opticians here in Tenerife over the years including Optica Downes, and although they are one of the better ones I still think their prices for lenses are a rip off.

ddoyle
29-12-2017, 12:23
I bought new glasses in the optician in Las Galetas found them very expensive over €400 for the glasses, I tent to use specsavers now very good service and price.

Steve05
02-10-2018, 12:56
Sunglasses is probably now old fashion now you can check colorful lenses from lenstore store collecion (https://gogetdeals.co.uk/store/lenstore/) in cost effective rates.