PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Kindle

Pages : [1] 2

Margaretta
26-06-2011, 21:23
Well anyone who knows me here will know that I'm hardly a wizz with technology.:crazy:

A friend who came to visit on friday showed me her KINDLE and how it worked but of course she had already registered and was using it so I didn't see that bit.???

After persistent nagging and cajoling, feeding him a hearty breakfast and telling him how invaluable he was, hubby caved in this afternoon (anything for a quiet life!) and we bought one plus case with light in a local department store.

The cricket took all his concentration on our return home and I was left to set it up. First bit was the charging up and the charger is the same as for my digital camera so that worked OK but when I 'phoned a friend' later apparently you should do it for several hours the first time.Well, I am soooooo proud of myself as I worked out how to register.:idea: It took me three quarters of an hour because the control is a bit different to my laptop. Entering card details was hard because I was trying to press 'down' for the expiry date and it wouldn't let me. Eventually I realised that you have to press 'OK' to get a list of probable dates. I had been afraid to do this in case I had entered the wrong date.

Anyway it all accepted finally, I pressed the Menu and hey presto! Books galore at very cheap prices too! What a fantastic collection!!! I bought a Henning Mankell because I'm learning to be a great detective or a serial killer. My email later told me I had bought it and for how much. You can bookmark a page if you are doing something else and it comes back to the page you were reading. The case has a small light for reading in bed and not disturbing a partner.

When there was a break in the cricket I showed hubby how it worked.....fatal mistake! He's now reading his choice avidly and I won't get a look-in until the next sporting event!

There seem to be heaps of benefits to having a KINDLE. No, it's not in colour but that isn't necessary. Students can make notes about chapters and phrases and it's so light to carry. When charged it should last for ages and you only need WIFI if you want to download a new book.

There would be a lot more benefits to having two KINDLES but I don't think today is the right one to suggest that idea......

At least we shan't have to carry heavy books in our hand luggage....well, I suppose one of us will! I wonder who.....

Harmonicaman
26-06-2011, 21:33
I'm swithering at the mo Margaretta. Probably get one sooner rather than later.:)

Sunlover
26-06-2011, 21:46
I got one about a month ago, but not used it much yet, have been finishing all my paper books first. A friend has given me a disc with loads of books on which she got on the net, must be over 100 books by authors such as Lee Child, Jeffrey Deaver etc mostly suspense, and murder stories. Am planning on buying something a bit lighter though for our hols, we come out on 15/7. :)

AJP
26-06-2011, 22:02
Also you can make the print bigger so helpfull if you forget your reading glasses

Sal
26-06-2011, 22:05
Call me old-fashioned, but what's wrong with good old books? I read six books on holiday recently mostly bought for €1.00 or some for 50c.................and I didn't find them heavy to hold!

moonlighter
26-06-2011, 22:10
Margaretta - is it an actual Kindle or an e-reader? (similar to a Kindle but a different make), just wondering because wifey is on about one and I am wondering which is the best make to buy her.
I thought you could only buy a Kindle from Amazon direct, or maybe you can now buy them from shops as well??

Call me old-fashioned, but what's wrong with good old books? I read six books on holiday recently mostly bought for €1.00 or some for 50c.................and I didn't find them heavy to hold!

No but it is more convenient carrying a Kindle in your luggage than 6 books, I understand that there are lots of books that are available free too.

Sal
26-06-2011, 22:15
No but it is more convenient carrying a Kindle in your luggage than 6 books, I understand that there are lots of books that are available free too.

I carry two or three books, then buy the others in Tenerife and leave the read ones in the apartment for somebody else.
I know..............I should move with the times! :ashamed:

Vortex Wake
26-06-2011, 22:25
3g Kindle means free internet in Tenerife and around the world.

You can thus check email, log on to Tenerife forum etc whilst down the beach.

Sunlover
26-06-2011, 22:36
Didn't know you could do that, thought you could only log on to kindle site to buy books

Vortex Wake
26-06-2011, 22:43
Yes you can - although it is called 'experimental' by Kindle amazon.

It is a very basic browser.

DaveRF
26-06-2011, 22:54
I bought my Dad one for Father's day and had to go round and register it for him when it arrived mid week. Once registered it was so easy for him to use. He's absolutely delighted with it and the fact that it is easy to read even in bright sunlight.

Margaretta
27-06-2011, 00:37
Yes Moonlighter. My friend bought hers in Amazon and we bought ours in Currys today and they are exactly the same and the same price. Thousands of books on all subjects there. I like the fact that you can read a couple of pages first as a sample and you don't have to buy it if the sample doesn't grab you. Much easier than trying to read the blurb in a bookshop! It is so light and easy to read....all elderly people should have one on that LATE retirement from the Government!!!
Go on Harmonicaman, Sal and Moonlighter, treat yourselves!!:)

I'm having my turn to read it now and there have been twelve murders so far in a Swedish village.......the detectives are on the case!
Sweet dreams everyone.:reading::reading::reading:

sundownersvince
27-06-2011, 02:15
That'll suit me then Mr Wake, no one baser than me!!!!!!!

anniemc
27-06-2011, 12:01
The main advantage of the Kindle for me is the lightness of it. I have arthritis in my hands and they ache after holding a
heavy book for a while. You can use the Kindle one-handed. I do miss the look of a book, as I must admit I used to often choose a book by its cover, but if you read the same authors or have a "certain" type of book that you enjoy, you can easily find it on the amazon website. The only doiwnside here in Tenerife is that when you connect to Amazon, its the American site and prices are in dollars and seem a bit more expensive, but as reading is my passion, then I am very willing to pay to get what I want.

Margaretta
27-06-2011, 13:00
Thanks for the tip AnnieMC. Better load up before we visit Tenerife then. The 'free' books have a lot of classics so plenty to keep us busy. All those books we've always meant to read but.....

I may have a book cull and sort the modern paperbacks in the UK for charity. I shall only retain special books which have a personal meaning or use. Vortex, I found the email site but am a bit afraid to try it in case I lose the Amazon Bookstore! Well it is very new.....
Hubby delighted as you can use your Ipod with it too somehow......divorce over a KINDLE.......hope that's fiction!!:whistle:

DaveCull
27-06-2011, 15:51
Please don't get carried away by the web-surfing capabilities, they are very basic & slow to load. Navigation is clumsy too. But I still prefer my Kindle to "proper" books. I must have read 25 books since Christmas (quite a lot for me), and only spent about Ģ10:whistle:
With a good selection for "free", it's a chance to read new authors too. When you've read a book, you can delete it from the Kindle, but it's stored on Amazon forever (provided it was from them in first place). If, at some time in the future, you want to read one again, it's free to re-download.
All in all, it's nowhere near perfect, but I'm sure there will be software updates (d'l'd'd automatically by wi-fi) over time.

sleepy
27-06-2011, 17:14
My better half bought an e-reader from Mediamart a few weeks ago and is over the moon with it.Unfortunately we couldn't stretch to a Kindle but hers came with one thousand books installed and has an expandable memory card slot.There is plenty of choice in books for free out there,although this one doesn't have an internet connection facility.
Enjoy your Kindle Margaretta :)

tizzywizzy
27-06-2011, 17:54
Yes Moonlighter. My friend bought hers in Amazon and we bought ours in Currys today and they are exactly the same and the same price. Thousands of books on all subjects there. I like the fact that you can read a couple of pages first as a sample and you don't have to buy it if the sample doesn't grab you. Much easier than trying to read the blurb in a bookshop! It is so light and easy to read....all elderly people should have one on that LATE retirement from the Government!!!
Go on Harmonicaman, Sal and Moonlighter, treat yourselves!!:)

I'm having my turn to read it now and there have been twelve murders so far in a Swedish village.......the detectives are on the case!

I wonder if he will share with me?

Margaretta
27-06-2011, 18:01
Not a chance, TizzyWizzy! He's a MAN! They sleep on the remote, love to plug themselves in and seem to wear technology like robots! xx:rolleyes:

rosemary
27-06-2011, 18:16
I adore my Kindle, got it a month ago. As a devoted book lover I too worried if I would miss good old fashioned books. But not a chance! I am delighted with. this slimline little tablet - its light, easy to carry and great for travellers, - but you must have a cover for it and then you hold it like a book - and already I have downloaded some of the classics - ALL of Shakespeare, George Eliot, and thatīs just a starters, and all virtually free! I donīt need a bookcase now with dust gathering on the books. Ýou can hold it close to your face in bed and donīt have to worry about the sheet stopping the pages from turning! You can easily read it in bright sunlight. And BTW Anniemac you can now do all your shopping at Amazon.co.UK in Sterling, you no longer have to buy in dollars. Have a look at Amazon site, it will inform you how to do this.

Goforgold
27-06-2011, 18:19

You're not reading Midsomer Murders perchance??!!! :)

I looked at the Kindle's at Xmas and decided against it, but having read your thread and other's comments I too am now grovelling to see if OH will give me the go ahead to buy one.

Is there anywhere to see what some of the free downloads are please? :) Just found them and downloaded one to my Kindle for PC. Now if I moan enough to OH about how awkward it is trying to read something on my Netbook, he might come around to my way of thinking !!

sleepy
27-06-2011, 20:01
You're not reading Midsomer Murders perchance??!!! :)

I looked at the Kindle's at Xmas and decided against it, but having read your thread and other's comments I too am now grovelling to see if OH will give me the go ahead to buy one.

Is there anywhere to see what some of the free downloads are please? :) Just found them and downloaded one to my Kindle for PC. Now if I moan enough to OH about how awkward it is trying to read something on my Netbook, he might come around to my way of thinking !!

Here is one to be going on with :) http://www.manybooks.net/

Sal
27-06-2011, 20:11
Mmmmmmm -starting to think about it! :whistle:

Vortex Wake
27-06-2011, 20:44
Mmmmmmm -starting to think about it! :whistle:

Pop down to Currys at Fleetsbridge and try one - that's where I got my sisters one.

ddoyle
27-06-2011, 22:30
You can also swap books with other Kindle users, might be a good idea to set up a Kindle book club on the Forum. Members could swap books etc, and make reading using Kindle ever cheaper.

Zara
27-06-2011, 22:48
I bought OH a Kindle for Xmas and he loves it. He keeps bragging about all the books he is carrying around unlike me who is limited to 2 or 3. I have tried it but must admit I am addicted to turning pages rather than flicking a button so at least for the foreseeable future I wonīt be converting. We just have one rule, he only downloads the books I wouldnīt dream of reading otherwise it has got to be a paperback LOL

Didn īt know you could swap with others, our son-in-law got a Kindle for when he went into hospital (he reads the same sort of stuff as OH) and after paying for it my daughter was given one by a company she deals with but like me she is not sure whether she will get on with it or not.

samnickgodber
06-08-2011, 09:02
Ok i want to buy a Kindle for my hols but i am stuck, i donīt know if to buy the one with 3g and wifi or is it not really worth the extra cost?

delderek
06-08-2011, 09:50
Ok i want to buy a Kindle for my hols but i am stuck, i donīt know if to buy the one with 3g and wifi or is it not really worth the extra cost?

If you download enough books before you go, then wifi is fine. If you run out of reading when your away, 3g will enable you to download anywhere. If only wifi, you will have to go and find a hotspot, and ask to use their network, possibly free, but you will have to buy a coffee or something. To me the 3g version is well worth the extra.

Vortex Wake
06-08-2011, 10:00
Yes the 3g version is well worth the extra.

Remember, it allows you free internet access around the world too. So you can check emails, read Tenerifeforum etc on the basic browser when on holiday.

Margaretta
06-08-2011, 10:03
Ours is the 3G version. We were astonished because early this year I took my laptop to Tenerife and lumped it to cafes as we have no Wifi in our apartment but hubby had no problems with the Kindle, sitting in the living room and downloading books from Amazon at any time of day! We couldn't piggyback anyone's Wifi signal for the laptop!!!
Since him buying it for me I've hardly had a 'look-in' but he reluctantly says I can have it this week when I go to Scandinavia.....with lots of provisos for being careful etc.!!
We need another, one each but have decided to wait for the next version which I think is likely to have more sophisticated internet facilities. It has become an essential!!!

Vortex Wake
06-08-2011, 10:13
Don't rely on there being better internet on the next kindle.
There has to be a trade off between 'free' internet access and full blown browser features.
Vodafone who provide the free access would not allow their network to be clogged by free kindle access user downloading YouTube videos etc.

cainaries
06-08-2011, 11:06
I wouldn't bother thinking about one if I lived in the UK, Sal, but I like to read newly issued books and would love to have them instantly!

I have asked this before on both the old and new forums ... has anyone had a kindle sent to Tenerife from US Amazon (which is what you have to do here as you can't order it from Amazon UK? Saw a post that you can then download books from the UK site - has anyone done this with a kindle bought from US site?

samnickgodber
06-08-2011, 15:16
Ok, so 3G and wifi it is then and just need canaries question answering now,,,,,,, Has anyone ordered of the us site to have one delivered here and if so do you order your books from there or the uk one?

I need to get this ordered as soon as pos x

DeeD
06-08-2011, 15:28
I wouldn't bother thinking about one if I lived in the UK, Sal, but I like to read newly issued books and would love to have them instantly!

I have asked this before on both the old and new forums ... has anyone had a kindle sent to Tenerife from US Amazon (which is what you have to do here as you can't order it from Amazon UK? Saw a post that you can then download books from the UK site - has anyone done this with a kindle bought from US site?

I got a kindle delivered this week from Amazon.com. Took under a week to get here. I got the one with 3G & wifi. As far as I can see, living here you can't download from Amazon.co.uk. It keeps saying you have to download from .com. I don't know what would happen if I went back to UK and tried to download from there.

To date I have only downloaded freebies. However, I wondered if i had a book downloaded to my computer (if they let you) if I could then transfer it to the kindle. I am still experimenting! Hope this helps.

samnickgodber
06-08-2011, 15:31
I got a kindle delivered this week from Amazon.com. Took under a week to get here. I got the one with 3G & wifi. As far as I can see, living here you can't download from Amazon.co.uk. It keeps saying you have to download from .com. I don't know what would happen if I went back to UK and tried to download from there.

To date I have only downloaded freebies. However, I wondered if i had a book downloaded to my computer (if they let you) if I could then transfer it to the kindle. I am still experimenting! Hope this helps.

Sorry blonde and all that, is there quite alot of choice on the freebie books?

DeeD
06-08-2011, 15:39
I suppose it depends what you are looking for, at the moment I have just searched what I would call 'light' reading. You just have to keep searching different pages on Amazon, i.e. free downloads, free kindle downloads, free ebooks,, etc. It's amazing how many different ways you can search and find something on every page. I know that if there was a particular book I wanted, I would rather have it in book form to keep but for just easy reading, the freebies are fine.

samnickgodber
06-08-2011, 15:43
Right iīm off to order one now,, Thanks :)

cainaries
06-08-2011, 15:45

Yes, it does, thank you very much. I think I am about to bite the bullet and order one.

Amazon should pay you a commission!

delderek
06-08-2011, 18:46

Yes you can download to your computer after installing the kindle software, and it will sync with your kindle,(and your Android phone) even opening the last page you read, on any device, but would think it's still going to direct you to.com.

Goforgold
06-08-2011, 21:30
Yes, it does, thank you very much. I think I am about to bite the bullet and order one.

Amazon should pay you a commission!

I'm thinking of getting one too Cainaries - for my hols. My netbook is a little too large to lie under the sheets with it ;)

Vortex Wake
06-08-2011, 22:01
I'm thinking of getting one too Cainaries - for my hols. My netbook is a little too large to lie under the sheets with it ;)

Go into Currys and try one first.

Don't get ideas that you can steam LBC radio under the sheets - a kindle will not do that.

cainaries
06-08-2011, 22:01
You'll have to be careful what you 'kindle' then, GFG!;) Don't want anyone getting overheated. :D

Goforgold
07-08-2011, 10:28
Go into Currys and try one first.

Don't get ideas that you can steam LBC radio under the sheets - a kindle will not do that.

I'll pop into Curry's tomorrow and have a feel of one, just to be sure - I've got my downloads for LBC, I can't miss Nick Abbot ;)

You'll have to be careful what you 'kindle' then, GFG!;) Don't want anyone getting overheated. :D

No chance of that with the Grand Canyon between us!!! ;)

In The Sun
07-08-2011, 10:45
Hi I have just bought a Kindle from Amazon. it was sent fro America. It took seven days to get to me in Tenerife.
I am very please with it

samnickgodber
07-08-2011, 11:53
Hi I have just bought a Kindle from Amazon. it was sent fro America. It took seven days to get to me in Tenerife.
I am very please with it

I have just ordered mine too and says it will be here between the 10th and the 12th,, i will update when it arrives,

Goforgold
07-08-2011, 12:39
The only problem I can see, for me, is remembering what books I've already read - so that I don't waste money in duplications.

rosemary
07-08-2011, 12:43
The only problem I can see, for me, is remembering what books I've already read - so that I don't waste money in duplications.

They have devised a system called "samples" so you can always get a refresher of a few pages before deciding. I am now addicted to myKindle. If you buy it through Amazon.com you can now get your account transferred to UK and buy in Sterling if you wish.

Goforgold
07-08-2011, 12:49
You can also swap books with other Kindle users, might be a good idea to set up a Kindle book club on the Forum. Members could swap books etc, and make reading using Kindle ever cheaper.

This is a good idea ddoyle, having a Swap Shop. Silly question but one which VW won't be surprised to read coming from me ;) How do we do the swaps? ???

cainaries
07-08-2011, 15:38
I don't need a gadget to duplicate a book. Just ordered 'Spider Bones' by Kathy Reichs from Amazon. Started to read the blurb on the back and realised I'd already read it. Opened it up to find a little note to say it was originally published as 'Mortal Remains' ... wouldn't it be NICE if they told you that on the website! :smack::smack:

Goforgold
07-08-2011, 16:02
I don't need a gadget to duplicate a book. Just ordered 'Spider Bones' by Kathy Reichs from Amazon. Started to read the blurb on the back and realised I'd already read it. Opened it up to find a little note to say it was originally published as 'Mortal Remains' ... wouldn't it be NICE if they told you that on the website! :smack::smack:

Oh no!!! I bet the air was blue !! :reading:...:censored:

cainaries
07-08-2011, 18:15
Oh no!!! I bet the air was blue !! :reading:...:censored:

It was indeed! Furthermore going to have to work out how to return it as haven't ever returned anything to Amazon before and I'm going to bet it will involve spending an hour or two in a Correos and filling in about 50 forms. There are several things I avoid like the plague ... asking for anything in the Bank and asking for anything in the Correos. Last week I went to the Bank to ask for €3,500 (sob) to be available in cash for the following day. When I went in they had put by €1,820. How do you get from tres mil quinientos to mil ochociento y veinte? Probably written that wrong which might explain why they didn't understand me. Not good with numbers in any language. Hello, Dungeon, here I come.

Goforgold
07-08-2011, 18:26
It was indeed! Furthermore going to have to work out how to return it as haven't ever returned anything to Amazon before and I'm going to bet it will involve spending an hour or two in a Correos and filling in about 50 forms. There are several things I avoid like the plague ... asking for anything in the Bank and asking for anything in the Correos. Last week I went to the Bank to ask for €3,500 (sob) to be available in cash for the following day. When I went in they had put by €1,820. How do you get from tres mil quinientos to mil ochociento y veinte? Probably written that wrong which might explain why they didn't understand me. Not good with numbers in any language. Hello, Dungeon, here I come.

Will it cost more to send the book back, that it cost in the first place?

I'm looking at the 'books' for this Kindle on Amazon at the moment.. The ones I want are about Ģ4.99. OH says I can get them cheaper at the charity shops :( - yes I said, but the Kindle is easier to hold in bed than a book, particularly if you want to lie down. I haven't read the couple I downloaded on the Kindle for PC yet - just can't find the enthusiasm. I think the Kindle would be more appealing though. I hope so, as they are Ģ152 and you can get a lot of books for that amount of money.

I get a lot of my books from the library, but you've always got to keep in mind getting them back or renewing them in time, which is a bind. Would be nice to just buy them over the internet at will.

Goforgold
08-08-2011, 16:47
Right, Just bought my Kindle and 'managed' to Register with Amazon because of course here in the sticks 3g doesn't work so have the bind having to use wifi and find the code under my router and then of course is it a '0' or an 'O'........ zzzzzzzzz

I need some help please. When I go onto Amazon website on my PC I can find all the 'free' books and 'cheap' books to download, but how do I find these using my Kindle. All that comes up is Kindle Bookstore.

I tried putting in free books, but it came up with a book someone was selling on obtaining free books. :(

Half an hour later - found out how to get on to the World Wide Wait!!! :)

Margaretta
08-08-2011, 17:49
Do hope that you enjoy your Kindle GFG! I was going to take mine on holday this week (hubby working at home) but he has downloaded so many books that I haven't the heart to take it away.

In answer to your question the best thing would be to look at the free booklist on the Amazon Website, type in one that you may want on your Kindle and when it comes up click' Try a sample' (or similar wording.) The price or lack of it will appear. Haven't got beyond that yet as i am still reading Henning Mankell. Hope that this helps.

Goforgold
08-08-2011, 18:15
Thanks Margaretta. I know I've got to get used to it, but I love the bits I've got to know, already!! :)

Do you use 'Shop in Kindle Store' or go on line to Amazon. I prefer to go direct to Amazon as it seems you have more choices than the Kindle Store. I could be wrong, if I am let me know. I think I may browse on my PC where it is clearer and download from there, rather than doing it on the Kindle - how do you do it? :)

cainaries
08-08-2011, 18:37
Am very envious, GFG, please keep us all posted on what to dos. OH has an e-reader which he bought whilst waiting to get his cataracts operated on. His son downloaded loads of stuff on to it in the UK and brought it over but I now find that I can download books into the library on the PC (the now dead PC) but I couldn't transfer them from the PC to the e-reader. I had understood (wrongly, maybe) that you could download books straight on to the kindle. Is that not right?

Goforgold
08-08-2011, 18:52
Well, I've just ordered a few from Amazon on my big PC with 1 Klik - one book was more than I really would have like to pay. I looked at a 'free' site but couldn't see any of the authors I like such as Martina Cole and Cecelia Ahern. So just bought the Ahern one. I suppose as people puts more tips on the forum, it will get easier to find things.

I've got a couple of e books on my PC and will see if I can get them across now. I got them onto my netbook ok so we shall see. It's always so much easier when you have some one with you who knows what they're doing. :(

I thought you were ordering one Cainaries?

delderek
08-08-2011, 18:59
Am very envious, GFG, please keep us all posted on what to dos. OH has an e-reader which he bought whilst waiting to get his cataracts operated on. His son downloaded loads of stuff on to it in the UK and brought it over but I now find that I can download books into the library on the PC (the now dead PC) but I couldn't transfer them from the PC to the e-reader. I had understood (wrongly, maybe) that you could download books straight on to the kindle. Is that not right?

You can download kindle books directly to kindle, pc, or android phone, and all will sync together if you wish. i.e, if you are reading page xxx on your kindle, go to your pc and the same page will open up automatically

Margaretta
08-08-2011, 19:42
Others may be more expert than me GFG as so far it has been hubby who has downloaded most of the books! He really didn't know why on earth I needed a Kindle!! Men! We use Amazon but some people have kindly contacted about bookshare and swap. I haven't time to work that out for at least another week!

Anyway, so far I've just looked on the internet and then typed the book I want at the bottom of the Kindle page. It gives me options of books and prices by the same author. Then I scroll up or down with the black line to buy and hey presto! All technical stuff!!!

Goforgold
08-08-2011, 19:49
Let me know about the bookswop/share when you find out how to do it. I've got all my books on and now downloading my MP3's just in case I get bored with the reading!! ;) All I need to do now is get into a relaxed mood to read the darn thing!! I found looking at the Amazon site on my big PC was easier for me, as I could see all the choices a lot easer than on the Kindle.

OH thinks they are brilliant - but he's not interested in having one. It takes him months to read just one book.

Thanks for your thread and giving me a push in the direction of getting one, I'm not disappointed. :)

samnickgodber
09-08-2011, 17:49
I have ordered my kindle and at the moment it is in Madrid, i got a phone call of a guy from UPS asking for my tax number, i told him i donīt have one so he asked for my nie number instead, as my Spanish is not very good and his English was the same as my Spanish he hung up the phone after i gave it to him so i donīt know know if it is stuck over there or is still in transit, iīm a bit worried now,,,can anyone offer any help or advise please

cainaries
09-08-2011, 20:14
I have ordered my kindle and at the moment it is in Madrid, i got a phone call of a guy from UPS asking for my tax number, i told him i donīt have one so he asked for my nie number instead, as my Spanish is not very good and his English was the same as my Spanish he hung up the phone after i gave it to him so i donīt know know if it is stuck over there or is still in transit, iīm a bit worried now,,,can anyone offer any help or advise please
Oh God, this is exactly EXACTLY why I haven't ordered one yet. Please, there are others out there who ordered theirs to be delivered to Tenerife and it arrived in 7 days so, please, help samnickgodber and explain why this didn't happen to you OR what you did to overcome the problem. Have you got the tracking number with UPS, samnick? Is there a UPS office in Tenerife you can contact to ask where the hell your parcel is?

Oh, I've been put off again now. Even though I spoke to a Brit here last night who promised me his UK kindle 3g worked perfectly here.

GFG I was going to get one but now look what's happened!

samnickgodber .... can you track it online? If not can you write to Amazon to ask why it was shipped via Madrid. Big risk of getting hit for Spanish IVA if shipped via the mainland.

Goforgold
09-08-2011, 20:52
Oh God, this is exactly EXACTLY why I haven't ordered one yet. Please, there are others out there who ordered theirs to be delivered to Tenerife and it arrived in 7 days so, please, help samnickgodber and explain why this didn't happen to you OR what you did to overcome the problem. Have you got the tracking number with UPS, samnick? Is there a UPS office in Tenerife you can contact to ask where the hell your parcel is?

Oh, I've been put off again now. Even though I spoke to a Brit here last night who promised me his UK kindle 3g worked perfectly here.

samnickgodber .... can you track it online? If not can you write to Amazon to ask why it was shipped via Madrid. Big risk of getting hit for Spanish IVA if shipped via the mainland.

It'll get sorted I'm sure - just practice your NIE number for when you get that call :)

samnickgodber
09-08-2011, 21:12

I wouldnīt be too worried i have a tracking number and have been on the ups website and it has now been cleared and moved onto Germany now,,, so i donīt know if this is good ie no extra costs or not, and i also only ordered it 2 days ago so iīm not too concerned yet lol

It'll get sorted I'm sure - just practice your NIE number for when you get that call :)

I had a call earlier asking for my tax number i told the guy i didnīt have one so he asked for my nie instead and since i gave it him it has been cleared and moved onto Germany now, do you know if there will be any xtra cost and if so roughly any idea?

cainaries
09-08-2011, 21:36
It was in Madrid and now they've sent it to Germany? WTF would they do that? Please let me know when you get it and what the additional charges are? Would you mind doing that? I'm so frustrated here not being able to get books in English (I'm on La Palma) and I read an awful lot so I thought a kindle would be ideal but it will only be ideal if it arrives!

Added after 4 minutes:

This is not a language problem, GFG. Most countries shipping to expats in the Canaries cannot grasp that the Canaries are not the same as Spain and are not in the EU. Our usual policy in this house when we get the call from Madrid or Barcelona is to contact the company we bought the goods from and advise them that we will not accept the goods sent by courier and that they must contact their shipper in Madrid and apply to have the goods returned to them as we will demand a refund to our UK credit card if there are additional unforeseen charges. This works like a treat in Europe but I'm a bit nervous about US based Amazon understand this issue.

In The Sun
09-08-2011, 22:45
i had the same phone call from the man in Madrid. As Amazon pay the tax and any import duty on your Kindle they need to know your N.I.E. number. My Kindle arrived 5 days after the phone call ( mine did ). You can track the order on the Amazon / Kindle web site. UPS will contact you before delivery

cainaries
09-08-2011, 22:50
i had the same phone call from the man in Madrid. As Amazon pay the tax and any import duty on your Kindle they need to know your N.I.E. number. My Kindle arrived 5 days after the phone call ( mine did ). You can track the order on the Amazon / Kindle web site. UPS will contact you before delivery

Thanks so much for the reassurance. I think what you might mean is that the price you pay Amazon includes the tax and import duty?

Goforgold
09-08-2011, 22:52
It was in Madrid and now they've sent it to Germany? WTF would they do that? Please let me know when you get it and what the additional charges are? Would you mind doing that? I'm so frustrated here not being able to get books in English (I'm on La Palma) and I read an awful lot so I thought a kindle would be ideal but it will only be ideal if it arrives!

Added after 4 minutes:

This is not a language problem, GFG. Most countries shipping to expats in the Canaries cannot grasp that the Canaries are not the same as Spain and are not in the EU. Our usual policy in this house when we get the call from Madrid or Barcelona is to contact the company we bought the goods from and advise them that we will not accept the goods sent by courier and that they must contact their shipper in Madrid and apply to have the goods returned to them as we will demand a refund to our UK credit card if there are additional unforeseen charges. This works like a treat in Europe but I'm a bit nervous about US based Amazon understand this issue.

Sorry for being a bit flippant Cainaries, I'd just been watching that scum on the News. Anyway your Spanish is very good. :)

Good luck with your Kindle - I'm sure you will get it sorted soon.

cainaries
09-08-2011, 22:54
Sorry for being a bit flippant Cainaries, I'd just been watching that scum on the News. Anyway your Spanish is very good. :)

Good luck with your Kindle - I'm sure you will get it sorted soon.

Sorry for snapping. I've run out of books which makes me twitchy and we've got Sky News on almost all the time which is sending my blood pressure sky high!

In The Sun
09-08-2011, 23:02
Yes Cainaries I did mean that the tax ect are included in the price you pay to Amazon. Just as information I also purchased a laptop from Amazon and it was delivered to Tenerife within 7 days

Goforgold
09-08-2011, 23:02
Sorry for snapping. I've run out of books which makes me twitchy and we've got Sky News on almost all the time which is sending my blood pressure sky high!

We feel the same here, just had to switch it off. After that so called 'interview' with that scum bag, what can you say - how can anyone possibly communicate with the likes of that??!!

Sorry Off Topic, but it makes you feel so helpless for all those poor hardworking people who are suffering at the hands of these scum.

So back to the Kindle - are you going to takes the plunge and order one? :)

cainaries
09-08-2011, 23:09
We feel the same here, just had to switch it off. After that so called 'interview' with that scum bag, what can you say - how can anyone possibly communicate with the likes of that??!!

Sorry Off Topic, but it makes you feel so helpless for all those poor hardworking people who are suffering at the hands of these scum.

So back to the Kindle - are you going to takes the plunge and order one? :)

Just done it GFG! Bit more expensive than for you in the UK. There's a weird little line after the amount they deduct saying there is an import tax deposit or some such word of about Ģ32. Since the price in sterling without UK VAT is more than the UK price with VAT I suspect there's a bit of profiteering by Amazon.com. The price I pay for living on a silly little island in the middle of the Atlantic.

Missed the scumbag fortunately!

Goforgold
10-08-2011, 07:11
Just done it GFG! Bit more expensive than for you in the UK. There's a weird little line after the amount they deduct saying there is an import tax deposit or some such word of about Ģ32. Since the price in sterling without UK VAT is more than the UK price with VAT I suspect there's a bit of profiteering by Amazon.com. The price I pay for living on a silly little island in the middle of the Atlantic.

Brilliant!! Looking forward to you working it all out and then telling me!! I could get into my Google e mail account last night but it just wouldn't accept my password etc for my Orange provider. :( At the moment I'm not sure exactly what it can or can't do. Probably have to go back to the shop and ask. :(

Vortex Wake
10-08-2011, 07:18
GFG , if you are unable to get online due to an issue with your wifi router password, go upstairs and place the 3g kindle by a window - this gives the Vodafone 3g signal a better chance of getting to the kindle.

Goforgold
10-08-2011, 07:36
GFG , if you are unable to get online due to an issue with your wifi router password, go upstairs and place the 3g kindle by a window - this gives the Vodafone 3g signal a better chance of getting to the kindle.

Hi VW - I can't use 3g here, but I've hooked it up with the wifi - Kindle accepted my e mail address and password for G.mail but not for my Orange e mail. Kept saying not recognised. I can get on Amazon etc.

If I go upstairs here, I'd be sitting on the roof ;)

samnickgodber
10-08-2011, 08:32

I have been following it by the tracking number and it has been back to madrid over night and has left madrid now but i donīt know where ithas gone to now porb in Transit to here

I hope you enjoy it when it arrives :),,,, i have already put a few of the free books onto mine which you can do even before it arrives so you can use it right away ;)

cainaries
10-08-2011, 09:32
I have been following it by the tracking number and it has been back to madrid over night and has left madrid now but i donīt know where ithas gone to now porb in Transit to here

I hope you enjoy it when it arrives :),,,, i have already put a few of the free books onto mine which you can do even before it arrives so you can use it right away ;)

I've only got the order confirmation so far so shall await their shipping email with bated breath. I know I'm very blonde over techy stuff so how did you put a book onto a machine which is switched off and in transit. Please share this information as that would be brilliant. First good news I feel I've had in a few days. Am getting quite excited about it now and being able to swap books with all of you. A friend gave us a bag of books the other day and we went through them. Four out of seven were ours in the first place and I'd already read one of the others. OH has suggested just leaving them lying around the island for people to pick up as we've not got room to move here. Our living space is quite small.

A quick correction on the price I paid, it included a cover and a European adapter so it wasn't the rip-off I wrote about above. Apologies for the grumble.

Vortex Wake
10-08-2011, 09:39
My sister is a very non tecky person, but when I got her a 3g kindle, she was away in no time loading books.

She loves being able to buy books as soon as she has finished the last out of shop opening hours.

samnickgodber
10-08-2011, 10:00
I've only got the order confirmation so far so shall await their shipping email with bated breath. I know I'm very blonde over techy stuff so how did you put a book onto a machine which is switched off and in transit. Please share this information as that would be brilliant. First good news I feel I've had in a few days. Am getting quite excited about it now and being able to swap books with all of you. A friend gave us a bag of books the other day and we went through them. Four out of seven were ours in the first place and I'd already read one of the others. OH has suggested just leaving them lying around the island for people to pick up as we've not got room to move here. Our living space is quite small.

A quick correction on the price I paid, it included a cover and a European adapter so it wasn't the rip-off I wrote about above. Apologies for the grumble.

Iīm very blonde too lol,,, but it says somewhere on the kindle bit on Amazon that you can load books onto it straight away cos it is already registered with them, so i just went onto Amazon.com and put in free books for kindle, found a book that i thought sounded good and hit the buy with one click button on the right hand side of the screen, it says buy but the price is nil,,,,, i presume that as soon as i recieve it, charge it up and then turn it on the books will be waiting for me :)

Goforgold
10-08-2011, 10:05
Well I'm definitely not technie and I loaded my books on no problem and my MP3s. If I can do it well................ :)

samnickgodber
10-08-2011, 10:15
Well I'm definitely not technie and I loaded my books on no problem and my MP3s. If I can do it well................
:)

Same here if i can do it,,,,,anyone can :)

Goforgold
14-08-2011, 21:00
I'm so excited!!! :) :)

Just downloaded lots of my favourite Nick Abbot Podcasts from LBC onto my Kindle for helping me sleep when I'm away from home, without my DAB Radio!!!! Fantastic!!! If you make sure they go into the Audible Folder, rather than the MP3 Folder you can chose the titles and listen to them as you would 'the books'.

It just gets better!! :)

samnickgodber
14-08-2011, 21:06
Iīm still waiting for mine, they tried to deliver on Friday but there was no-one there to sign for it so now i have to wait for Tuesday when they are gonna try again gggrrrrr,,, i want it yesterday x

Goforgold
14-08-2011, 21:15
Iīm still waiting for mine, they tried to deliver on Friday but there was no-one there to sign for it so now i have to wait for Tuesday when they are gonna try again gggrrrrr,,, i want it yesterday x

Aaaah, how frustrating, I can imagine how you're feeling :( I hope you're as pleased as I am when it arrives.

One of the books I downloaded is a bit disappointing (P.S. I Love You, I believe it was a film too), but I'm slowly getting through it. The thing is I can flip between books as the mood takes me. The great thing too is that I don't need a book mark !! The external sound is pretty good too, so I don't need earphones to listen to the Podcasts, so the Kindle can just lie by my pillow if need be.:D

cainaries
14-08-2011, 22:01

I know how you feel! A lovely guy from oo-pay--esse rang me the day after I ordered my kindle and told me it would arrive in Tenerife on Wednesday (I'm behind you in this process). I implored him to send it direct to La Palma but it has to go via Tenerife. So glad you posted on here as I was all prepared when he rang. That was after I said 'you're calling from WHERE?' and he laughed and said 'UPS' which seemed to be the limit of his English. But we managed! OH is already lining up books he wants to read on it. Rats ... I should have ordered two!

Goforgold
14-08-2011, 22:07

You see - I told you just to remember your number and everything would be ok :) I have crystal balls, just ask my ex boss!!! :)

cainaries
14-08-2011, 22:30
You see - I told you just to remember your number and everything would be ok :) I have crystal balls, just ask my ex boss!!! :)

It was my ex boss who had the crystal balls, GFG, (or so he always claimed). You must be ... unusual.

Off to bed now with my conventional book. Sleep well world.

Goforgold
14-08-2011, 22:40
It was my ex boss who had the crystal balls, GFG, (or so he always claimed). You must be ... unusual.

Off to bed now with my conventional book. Sleep well world.

To be truthful he only accused me of having one crystal ball!!! Nite Nite. :)

samnickgodber
17-08-2011, 14:20
I know how you feel! A lovely guy from oo-pay--esse rang me the day after I ordered my kindle and told me it would arrive in Tenerife on Wednesday (I'm behind you in this process). I implored him to send it direct to La Palma but it has to go via Tenerife. So glad you posted on here as I was all prepared when he rang. That was after I said 'you're calling from WHERE?' and he laughed and said 'UPS' which seemed to be the limit of his English. But we managed! OH is already lining up books he wants to read on it. Rats ... I should have ordered two!

Just make sure your at home or the delivery address when they deliver cos it is a bloody nightmare trying to sort it out if you miss it,,,,,, iīm still waiting gggggrrrrrrr

Goforgold
17-08-2011, 19:11
Took my Kindle with me to York - I could get Tenerife Forum etc on 3G but just too fiddly and took too long to do anything to bother :( However the Podcasts were brilliant, quiet enough to use without the headphones and just like listening to the radio!! :)

cainaries
17-08-2011, 22:14
Just make sure your at home or the delivery address when they deliver cos it is a bloody nightmare trying to sort it out if you miss it,,,,,, iīm still waiting gggggrrrrrrr

We'll both need GFG's crystal balls then! UPS hasn't got an office here so interesting to see what happens next.:eek::eek:

samnickgodber
18-08-2011, 07:49
We'll both need GFG's crystal balls then! UPS hasn't got an office here so interesting to see what happens next.:eek::eek:

The company that they use over here are in SC but they never answer the phone ggggrrrrrrrr

Goforgold
18-08-2011, 08:58
Hope it comes today :)

samnickgodber
18-08-2011, 09:08
Hope it comes today :)

Iīm getting sick of it now ,,,, got my friend on the case whom is fluent, as they said they tried to deliver yesterday i was home all day and no one at work has said they have a note from them so i think they may be delivering to the wrong place gggrrrrr, iīm waiting for a call from them but we all know Spanish phones only accept incoming calls :rolleyes:

christa
18-08-2011, 10:25
Just ordered a Kindle 3G, delivery date predicted 23 - 25 August ! We shall see!

Cost more than expected due to handling/shipping costs.

One thing though, should I have included an adaptor in with the order?

Good luck to those who are awaiting delivery, I will let you know if mine arrives on time!

samnickgodber
18-08-2011, 10:52
Just ordered a Kindle 3G, delivery date predicted 23 - 25 August ! We shall see!

Good luck to those who are awaiting delivery, I will let you know if mine arrives on time!

I havenīt ordered one however i will use the usb to charge mine if n when it gets here, it has taken longer to get it from SC to the south than it did from the states to Tenerife ggggrrrrr

Vortex Wake
18-08-2011, 11:13
Took my Kindle with me to York - I could get Tenerife Forum etc on 3G but just too fiddly and took too long to do anything to bother :( However the Podcasts were brilliant, quiet enough to use without the headphones and just like listening to the radio!! :)

GFG, RSS feeds can provide a way of seeing text only overview of most web sites. I use them on my phone and guess the Kindle will work with them too.

Try these ;
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/external.php?type=RSS2

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/rss/home/rss.xml

http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/rss.xml

You will need to 'refresh' the above for semi-latest postings. You cannot reply, and depending of feed setup, you cannot see whole theads.

samnickgodber
18-08-2011, 13:55
Yayyyy its finally here, now just to get it charged

If you want the phone number for the office once it gets into SC i can give it to you,,, like i said just make sure your in cos they donīt leave a slip saying they have tried to deliver

Added after 1 11 minutes:

They also have an office on La Palma i think it is they show you them on the ups.com website and you just find one in the location bit x

cainaries
18-08-2011, 16:26
Yayyyy its finally here, now just to get it charged

If you want the phone number for the office once it gets into SC i can give it to you,,, like i said just make sure your in cos they donīt leave a slip saying they have tried to deliver

Added after 1 11 minutes:

They also have an office on La Palma i think it is they show you them on the ups.com website and you just find one in the location bit x

Thanks so much for all the info. Really sorry yours is taking so long to arrive. Since the man who called me from Madrid told me it wouldn't get to Tenerife til Wednesday I hadn't bothered to track it. Just did and it says it left Tenerife today. So, all things being equal, it might get here tomorrow and get delivered may be on Monday. I think UPS use a company called Mail Boxes etc. here on La Palma. We've used them before and they were very good so fingers crossed. I did order an adaptor because I read somewhere, probably on the old Forum, that they were useful to have for when you're travelling ... I don't usually take my laptop, just rely on friends. :D

Goforgold
18-08-2011, 16:31
GFG, RSS feeds can provide a way of seeing text only overview of most web sites. I use them on my phone and guess the Kindle will work with them too.

Try these ;
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/external.php?type=RSS2

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/rss/home/rss.xml

http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/rss.xml

You will need to 'refresh' the above for semi-latest postings. You cannot reply, and depending of feed setup, you cannot see whole theads.

Thanks Vortex Wake - I did manage to send a PM via Tenerife Forum when I was away. :)

samnickgodber
18-08-2011, 16:31
Thanks so much for all the info. Really sorry yours is taking so long to arrive. Since the man who called me from Madrid told me it wouldn't get to Tenerife til Wednesday I hadn't bothered to track it. Just did and it says it left Tenerife today. So, all things being equal, it might get here tomorrow and get delivered may be on Monday. I think UPS use a company called Mail Boxes etc. here on La Palma. We've used them before and they were very good so fingers crossed. I did order an adaptor because I read somewhere, probably on the old Forum, that they were useful to have for when you're travelling ... I don't usually take my laptop, just rely on friends. :D

I have sent a email of complaint to amazon and UPS about them, i just donīt see why its so hard to give you a quick call saying we are on our way to you, are you at home?

I never thought about charging it whilst on my hols,i will just buy one whilst iīm there x

cainaries
18-08-2011, 16:36
I have sent a email of complaint to amazon and UPS about them, i just donīt see why its so hard to give you a quick call saying we are on our way to you, are you at home?

I never thought about charging it whilst on my hols,i will just buy one whilst iīm there x

But that would be an outgoing phone call!! Certainly interesting to see where my kindle has been whilst I've been lying around waiting for it. About 4 different cities in the States and then, like yours, to Cologne in Germany to get the paperwork done. WTF. It's very well travelled already. They usually do have to ring us before no-one can find the house on their first attempt. Be very interested to see what Amazon say about your complaint. Don't suppose UPS in Spain will care much and it's August as well.

christa
19-08-2011, 10:46
Well, just had the phone call asking me to confirm my full name and give my NIE. Expected delivery Tuesday 22nd Aug !

cainaries
19-08-2011, 13:07
Well, just had the phone call asking me to confirm my full name and give my NIE. Expected delivery Tuesday 22nd Aug !

Yours is probably going to arrive first! We shall be coming to you for basic kindle lessons.

christa
19-08-2011, 17:53
Yours is probably going to arrive first! We shall be coming to you for basic kindle lessons.

I hope it doesn't arrive first, I'm relying on you lot to show me the ropes!

Goforgold
19-08-2011, 18:05
When you've both got your Kindles - may be you can then tell me how you go about 'sharing'.

I'm still on that first book at the moment - been too busy to read, but as mentioned I have listened to Podcasts and was thrilled to bits with those!!! :) I will need to take my Netbook on holiday to download the Podcasts and then transfer them to the Kindle but that's easy enough.

Don't forget the 'sharing' bit!! ;)

christa
22-08-2011, 09:28

I have just "tracked" my order with Amazon and according them it has been sent from Kentucy via Phillidelphia - Cologne- an due to arrive in Madrid on 22 August at 07.51hrs.

Those of you who have had your order delivered to the Canaries, what are the chances of my order arriving the same day from Madrid to Gran Canaria? I would have thought very slim.

How long did it take your order to get from Madrid to your door?

cainaries
22-08-2011, 10:32
I have just "tracked" my order with Amazon and according them it has been sent from Kentucy via Phillidelphia - Cologne- an due to arrive in Madrid on 22 August at 07.51hrs.

Those of you who have had your order delivered to the Canaries, what are the chances of my order arriving the same day from Madrid to Gran Canaria? I would have thought very slim.

I'll let you know when it gets to my door, Christa! To be fair to UPS, they don't operate between Tenerife and La Palma so gawd knows who they will use to get it here. The lovely man in Madrid did promise it me it would be delivered to the house. But unless mine arrives today I think you are going to be the setting up guinea pig.

onelegnofeet
22-08-2011, 11:09
I just bought a Kindle .............and the toy inside is a load of cr@p!!!!

Margaretta
22-08-2011, 14:45
GFG, if I understand correctly what you mean by sharing.......it DOESN'T WORK!!!!!

All three of us keep downloading the new books on the same Kindle using MY card (Kindle registered to me initially) and it keeps disappearing i.e. the Kindle, into different rooms in the house.
My daughter wants to take it to Tenerife this week and that is a definite 'NO!!!' Don't want it lost in the sand or covered in suncream!!! Need one for each reader in the family......when are they going to do a 'three for one' offer?????

samnickgodber
22-08-2011, 14:49

I wouldīnt hold much hope, mine too a week to get from SC to the south as i had missed delivery and they had not left a note to tell me and i tried to get the delivery address changed and they wasnīt too keen on it but i eventually got it, so fingers they will get here soon x

timmylish
22-08-2011, 15:00
One of the principal problems you will all face, in August is, holidays! Virtually anything and everything comes to a standstill here on the Canaries. I have not received ANY post now for 3 weeks and some of my post is normally at least weekly.

cainaries
22-08-2011, 15:03
I wouldīnt hold much hope, mine too a week to get from SC to the south as i had missed delivery and they had not left a note to tell me and i tried to get the delivery address changed and they wasnīt too keen on it but i eventually got it, so fingers they will get here soon x

Have you still not got yours? I thought you'd gone a little quiet because you were reading. ;);)

Mine arrived in SC/Tenerife a week ago today. According to the UPS site it is now 'in transit' having sat in SC for 2 days.

One of the principal problems you will all face, in August is, holidays! Virtually anything and everything comes to a standstill here on the Canaries. I have not received ANY post now for 3 weeks and some of my post is normally at least weekly.

This is indeed the case, timmylish. I don't think the Correos are using temp staff this summer. However, those of us on this thread waiting for our kindles have paid a courier to deliver it so it shouldn't be the same as the Correos. My delivery date was given as 12th August which is quite a long time ago now.

onelegnofeet
22-08-2011, 15:21
Does anyone have Four Kindles ....you know Kindles Four Forks !!!!

Goforgold
22-08-2011, 15:47
Have you still not got yours? I thought you'd gone a little quiet because you were reading. ;);)

Mine arrived in SC/Tenerife a week ago today. According to the UPS site it is now 'in transit' having sat in SC for 2 days.

This is indeed the case, timmylish. I don't think the Correos are using temp staff this summer. However, those of us on this thread waiting for our kindles have paid a courier to deliver it so it shouldn't be the same as the Correos. My delivery date was given as 12th August which is quite a long time ago now.

I hope that after all this waiting - you don't feel let down when it arrives. Still reading the same book..........

samnickgodber
22-08-2011, 18:16

No i got mine last Thursday after god knows how many calls to the courier ;)

Goforgold
22-08-2011, 18:32

Right Sam, now you can explain how all us Kindle owners exchange our e books? ;)

cainaries
22-08-2011, 18:43

...AND ......... how are you getting on with it?

Do you happen to have the telephone number of UPS in SC? They might be prepared to tell me which company they used to ship my book to LP. Am rather hoping they're not going to tell me they put it in the post. eek2:eek2:

Goforgold
22-08-2011, 18:50

Do you happen to have the telephone number of UPS in SC? They might be prepared to tell me which company they used to ship my book to LP. Am rather hoping they're not going to tell me they put it in the post. eek2:eek2:

She's kept this quiet Cainaries!! ;)

samnickgodber
23-08-2011, 16:03

TBH iīve only just started reading it because i was in the middle of another book, but i quite like it,,,,, the number for SC office is 922151178 mon-fri 8am-8pm and sat 10-1 the guy i spoke to spoke very little English and a Lady there spoke no English, here it is http://www.ups.com/dropoff?loc=en_ES&WT.svl=PriNav

Right Sam, now you can explain how all us Kindle owners exchange our e books? ;)

Give me a little while and i will see if i can do it but iīm rather blonde sometimes so donīt hold your breath :D

Added after 12 minutes:

Just found this on the net for it ,but not sure i like the idea of this www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-share-kindle-ebook-with-close-friend-family-member-397403/ :(

christa
23-08-2011, 18:33
Well accoring to the tracking system, my kindle arrived in Madrid yesterday at 07.51hrs and arrived today in Las Palmas at 13.16hrs. So that means 4 days to get from the states........ how long to get 50mins down the motorway??

cainaries
25-08-2011, 11:30
Well accoring to the tracking system, my kindle arrived in Madrid yesterday at 07.51hrs and arrived today in Las Palmas at 13.16hrs. So that means 4 days to get from the states........ how long to get 50mins down the motorway??
At least as long as it took to get to you from the States, i should think! Mine arrived in S/C de Tenerife on 16th August and allegedly left on 18th August. Last night I contacted Amazon who just asked, very politely, if I wanted a replacement or a refund. Grr. However, they must have done something because when I started trying to go through the tracking system on UPS, it's still in S/C de Tenerife. I hope it's having a lovely holiday on the beach with lots of books to read.

I tried the number samnickgodber gave me but the guy just said oh not us (of course) and gave me another number 922 264141. Which is permanently engaged so it's probably the right number for what I want.

Heard last night of someone else on La Palma who is waiting and waiting for her kindle. What is about being in the Canary Islands that makes courier services such rubbish when they work perfectly well in the rest of the world.

Rant over.

Goforgold
25-08-2011, 12:14
What - still no Kindle ??? This is beginning to sound like War and Peace!!! Well definitely war anyway!!!

I'm just hoping it will be worth it when it arrives Cainaries - :hide:

Just had a thought, we could do with some of those ground troops going in - they'd soon sort it out for you!! ;)

samnickgodber
25-08-2011, 13:38
At least as long as it took to get to you from the States, i should think! Mine arrived in S/C de Tenerife on 16th August and allegedly left on 18th August. Last night I contacted Amazon who just asked, very politely, if I wanted a replacement or a refund. Grr. However, they must have done something because when I started trying to go through the tracking system on UPS, it's still in S/C de Tenerife. I hope it's having a lovely holiday on the beach with lots of books to read.

I tried the number samnickgodber gave me but the guy just said oh not us (of course) and gave me another number 922 264141. Which is permanently engaged so it's probably the right number for what I want.

Heard last night of someone else on La Palma who is waiting and waiting for her kindle. What is about being in the Canary Islands that makes courier services such rubbish when they work perfectly well in the rest of the world.

Rant over.

Ohhh i do hope it comes pretty soon for you,,,, i know its slightly different because yours is just passing through SC and maybe the number he gave you is for the courier in La Palma,,, you can find the number for them on the page that i gave you,,, the guy wasnīt very helpful to us either and if it wasnīt for my friend bugging them all day with phone calls (approx every hour) i may still be waiting for mine,,,,,fingers crossed it turns up soon x

cainaries
25-08-2011, 14:09
Thanks everyone. I know this is boring for everyone except a few but ... today I spoke to a woman in Tenerife who told me all the tracking information on the website were lies .. her word...mentiras... which the staff in Madrid just put on to amuse themselves. And, indeed, she is quite right. The package is stuck in customs in Madrid because I STUPIDLY bought a leather cover and they have refused to import the leather item. I am so cross I can't speak. The man said there is nothing he can do. He said customs will call me when they're good and ready. The package has already been there for 2 weeks. And UPS say this is my fault for trying to import an item of leather. I said to the man, just take it out and throw it away and he said he couldn't do that since they haven't even got the item with them.
So, important advice to anyone thinking of getting a kindle sent from the States ... make sure you don't buy a leather cover.

Anyone got any valium?

Goforgold
25-08-2011, 14:30
Thanks everyone. I know this is boring for everyone except a few but ... today I spoke to a woman in Tenerife who told me all the tracking information on the website were lies .. her word...mentiras... which the staff in Madrid just put on to amuse themselves. And, indeed, she is quite right. The package is stuck in customs in Madrid because I STUPIDLY bought a leather cover and they have refused to import the leather item. I am so cross I can't speak. The man said there is nothing he can do. He said customs will call me when they're good and ready. The package has already been there for 2 weeks. And UPS say this is my fault for trying to import an item of leather. I said to the man, just take it out and throw it away and he said he couldn't do that since they haven't even got the item with them.
So, important advice to anyone thinking of getting a kindle sent from the States ... make sure you don't buy a leather cover.

Anyone got any valium?

Ahhhhhhhhh !! What a disappointment Canaries :( . I bought that leather cover, very expensive too but thought I'd just go the whole hog and be done with it!! I didn't know about those rules on importing leather. So does that mean the cover gets binned? ???

captain jack sparrow
25-08-2011, 14:59
Dont know if its worth a mention but you can download the kindle book reading software free from Amazon website on to your PC / netbook, this enables you to download and read all books in the kindle format.

cainaries
25-08-2011, 15:42
Dont know if its worth a mention but you can download the kindle book reading software free from Amazon website on to your PC / netbook, this enables you to download and read all books in the kindle format.

Thanks so much for the advice. I've got to the point now where I am at war with UPS and the actual book-reading aspect of the whole operation has gone out of the window! When I'm feeling calmer, I will indeed try what you suggest as there is a book I particularly want to read.

Added after 2 minutes:

Ahhhhhhhhh !! What a disappointment Canaries :( . I bought that leather cover, very expensive too but thought I'd just go the whole hog and be done with it!! I didn't know about those rules on importing leather. So does that mean the cover gets binned? ???

Oh, I'll blame you then! ;)

I read somewhere (possibly on here) that it was a good idea to buy the cover to protect the kindle. And it will need protection in this house (cats, etc.).

Even Amazon is ignoring me now after I wrote them a whole series of rants this morning. They have obviously reclassified me as a mad old bat and won't ever sell me anything again.

christa
25-08-2011, 18:04
Oh No !!!..........

Guess what else I ordered as well as the kindle?

Yes......... a lovely black leather cover for my kindle!

Not good!

Goforgold
25-08-2011, 18:21
I put something on, noticed there was a typo, and also that it was a double posting and then I was left with this - nada!! .......................:punchbag:

cainaries
25-08-2011, 19:02
Oh No !!!..........

Guess what else I ordered as well as the kindle?

Yes......... a lovely black leather cover for my kindle!

Not good!

I don't believe it! Have you got yours yet? Be really interesting to see what happens. Maybe we should communicate by pm?

The woman I spoke to in Tenerife (sorry to repeat myself) told me the staff in Madrid just put any old thing on that website. They seem to have a 'real' tracking system for their own use and another for the stupid customers.

I have just had a very nice email from Amazon to say they are trying to sort it out with UPS and could I please give them a week! So I'm much calmer now. They've refunded the post and packing part of my order.

christa
25-08-2011, 19:13
I don't believe it! Have you got yours yet? Be really interesting to see what happens. Maybe we should communicate by pm?

The woman I spoke to in Tenerife (sorry to repeat myself) told me the staff in Madrid just put any old thing on that website. They seem to have a 'real' tracking system for their own use and another for the stupid customers.

I have just had a very nice email from Amazon to say they are trying to sort it out with UPS and could I please give them a week! So I'm much calmer now. They've refunded the post and packing part of my order.

No, not only have I not got mine, but not heard a thing from UPS... but then again it only arrived in Las Palmas Tuesday lunchtime. You may laugh, but I even take my phone in the bathroom when I need to pay a visit, just in case UPS ring!! HAHA. Boring as it may be to others, but at least this is letting other people who reside in the Canaries know what to expect if they order one.

Today is Thursday, I predict I will get a phone call Monday morning saying they want to deliver. Well I hope so anyway!

cainaries
25-08-2011, 19:19
No, not only have I not got mine, but not heard a thing from UPS... but then again it only arrived in Las Palmas Tuesday lunchtime. You may laugh, but I even take my phone in the bathroom when I need to pay a visit, just in case UPS ring!! HAHA. Boring as it may be to others, but at least this is letting other people who reside in the Canaries know what to expect if they order one.

Today is Thursday, I predict I will get a phone call Monday morning saying they want to deliver. Well I hope so anyway!

Have sent you a pm containing a long rant! Apologies. I'm sure there was someone on here who said it was easy peasy getting the kindle from amazon and it arrived sin problema in 7 days. Exception that proved the rule perhaps. IF it ever arrives I'm going to write a long letter of complaint to UPS.

Goforgold
25-08-2011, 19:23
Have sent you a pm containing a long rant! Apologies. I'm sure there was someone on here who said it was easy peasy getting the kindle from amazon and it arrived sin problema in 7 days. Exception that proved the rule perhaps. IF it ever arrives I'm going to write a long letter of complaint to UPS.

I don't think anyone would mind you posting on the open forum - any information you find out, could be useful to someone else who wants to buy one in the future. How many people would know about the leather importation problem, that was very useful information.

cainaries
25-08-2011, 19:28
I don't think anyone would mind you posting on the open forum - any information you find out, could be useful to someone else who wants to buy one in the future. How many people would know about the leather importation problem, that was very useful information.

You are very kind, GFG. Trouble is now I don't believe a word they say so I don't know if they're just saying that to fob me off.

OK, here goes, just in case a lurker is also waiting for their kindle. UPS number is 902 88 88 20. You get an automated response. Listen to the whole list and last option is press zero. Press Zero and you'll get a human being. You'll need your tracking number. And good luck!

samnickgodber
25-08-2011, 20:40
Oh guys iīm sorry you have not got yours yet,,,,maybe the trouble i had was nothing compared to you guys,,,,, however on the bright side for me , maybe iīm not as blonde as i thought because i brought my case off Ebay ;) (i was being a cheap skate,they were cheaper lol)

christa
30-08-2011, 18:11
I am ............................... WITH KINDLE !!!!

:jumping: :jumping: :crylaughing: :crylaughing: :crazy: :cheeky:

Complete with leather cover !

Currently charging it up so I can get to grips with it tomorrow! yay!

Goforgold
30-08-2011, 19:02
Great news Crista, although I'm very disappointed for Cainaries - I know how she feels :(

I'd bring you one out myself CA, if I was retired, it would be nice to have a holiday in La Palma and I could have used it as an excuse. I hope you don't have to wait too much longer.

cainaries
30-08-2011, 19:04
Great news Crista, although I'm very disappointed for Cainaries - I know how she feels :(

I'd bring you one out myself CA, if I was retired, it would be nice to have a holiday in La Palma and I could have used it as an excuse. I hope you don't have to wait too much longer.
Am very envious of anyone with a kindle. We do have a lot of difficulty getting things delivered to here. As a friend of mine once said 'If you will go and live on a stupid little island in the middle of the Atlantic, you have to expect these things.' Ah well.

Thanks so much, GFG. That would have been a very good option but OH's e-reader came that route (via his son, not you!) and we can't download books on to it any more.

tonythorne
30-08-2011, 20:12
Congratulations on joining the club ... I'm offering free eBooks (.pdf versions) to anyone who would like to write me an honest, no holds barred review of any of my books that can be seen on my website below so have a peek and then if interested send me a PM with your selection and Email address so that I can send it.
Tony

anto3
30-08-2011, 21:52
Anyone be able to answer my questions. I am in holland for a few weeks, i have somebody ordering a kindle from Dublin on the internet tomorrow for me. Do you think i will have it again the 19th september, as the person will order it from Dublin and will take it to holland to me,also i was reading Barrack Obama book about his life and lost the book half way through. do you know if this book is on the kindle. Thanks

cainaries
30-08-2011, 22:12
Can't answer your question. Where will you be using the kindle long term? There are complicated copyright laws (to do with the books not the kindles) which mean that you need to be very careful which system you use to order your kindle. I would imagine the book you want is available from Amazon.com.

christa
30-08-2011, 22:50
Anyone be able to answer my questions. I am in holland for a few weeks, i have somebody ordering a kindle from Dublin on the internet tomorrow for me. Do you think i will have it again the 19th september, as the person will order it from Dublin and will take it to holland to me,also i was reading Barrack Obama book about his life and lost the book half way through. do you know if this book is on the kindle. Thanks

Sorry anto3, its all a little bit new to me at the moment, but if you go into Amazon - kindle store click on "discussions" and post your question there I am sure you will get a better answer, or even read through a few threads and find the answer you are looking for.

anto3
30-08-2011, 23:10
I have no english books here and am bored with nothing in english to read. If the person bring it from Dublin will i be able to use it here. just be here two weeks and then back to tenerife, and just wondering if he orders it tomorrow on line do you think he will receive it again the 19th, Thought it would be easier to get it delivered to dublin

christa
30-08-2011, 23:21
I have no english books here and am bored with nothing in english to read. If the person bring it from Dublin will i be able to use it here. just be here two weeks and then back to tenerife, and just wondering if he orders it tomorrow on line do you think he will receive it again the 19th, Thought it would be easier to get it delivered to dublin

I would have thought you would get it by Sept 19th as he will be ordering from the co.uk site. Mine was ordered from the .com site which meant it was shipped from Kentucky, US. I ordered mine on the 18th August and it arrived today. 12 days,..not bad!
However, I do consider myself very lucky haven't been reading about Cainaries' order for exactly the same thing. Why not post a thread on the amazon site you never know, someone might have been in the same situation as yourself or had an order delivered to Dublin.

I have just done a search on Barrack Obama and there are currently 4 different books on sale about him.

Added after 8 Hours 37 minutes:

Hi anto3
A thught came to me in the middle of the night (you know what us women are like!!), why not get your friend to purchase an ereader from the duty free shop in the airport?

cainaries
31-08-2011, 11:37
I would have thought you would get it by Sept 19th as he will be ordering from the co.uk site. Mine was ordered from the .com site which meant it was shipped from Kentucky, US. I ordered mine on the 18th August and it arrived today. 12 days,..not bad!
However, I do consider myself very lucky haven't been reading about Cainaries' order for exactly the same thing. Why not post a thread on the amazon site you never know, someone might have been in the same situation as yourself or had an order delivered to Dublin.

I have just done a search on Barrack Obama and there are currently 4 different books on sale about him.

Added after 8 Hours 37 minutes:

Hi anto3
A thught came to me in the middle of the night (you know what us women are like!!), why not get your friend to purchase an ereader from the duty free shop in the airport?

I don't know why I thought this but do they not sell them in Waterstone's? Is there perhaps a Waterstone's in Dublin? Anyone out there who can help? I agree, christa, far wiser to buy one in a shop and have your hands on it than wait and wait for UPS to deliver it. Incidentally, I don't know where OP is in Holland but there are plenty of English books for sale in major cities.

Anto3 - just ask for a book shop and then go and ask for English books.

anto3
31-08-2011, 17:20
Anyway he bought one on line this morning. He said it would be delivered to him from the 2en to the 9th, Ibought the 3g one and the case and adapter . think it cost 210 euro, not 100 per cent sure until i get my bill. Did not know you could buy them at duty free. Are they the same ones

karinagal
31-08-2011, 18:51
They are the exact same - our Tesco is selling the 3G one for Ģ152.....

anto3
31-08-2011, 23:14
Well will tell all when i receive it. In the country in Holland and cannot find a english book or paper, well at least i have the internet and some stupid english staion. What i love about returning to Tenerife is, i get the bus outside the airport and get off at los cris bus station and head across the road to my fav cafe costa rica and sit there for two hours drinking the best coffe and reading my paper in the sunshine. It is pissing here, time like this i wonder why i leave tenerife.

cainaries
01-09-2011, 11:46
They are the exact same - our Tesco is selling the 3G one for Ģ152.....
How I wish I'd never known this. If my second Kindle also goes awol in the UPS system I am going to fly back to UK and do a big shop and include a kindle.

anto3
01-09-2011, 11:58
Just talk to the person who is getting my kindle and told them i could have got it in tesco. He said they are rip of versions not the real thing, Anyone agreed

karinagal
01-09-2011, 12:12
Just talk to the person who is getting my kindle and told them i could have got it in tesco. He said they are rip of versions not the real thing, Anyone agreed

They are not rip off versions! Tesco would not risk being prosecuted for selling fakes!! They sell them on Tesco Direct as well as in store - if they were not the real thing, Amazon would have them taken off the shelf in a nanosecond.....!! :nono:

anto3
01-09-2011, 14:11
Just saying what i was told and this guy works for goggle in dublin so he is well up on these things

MrsTT
01-09-2011, 17:03

I know it is not for kindle readers, but if you are looking for English books to read you could look here. I find it particularly useful for childrenīs classics, as the titles are usually ones that are out of copyright.
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/
THE ONLINE BOOKS PAGE Listing over 1 million free books on the Web - Updated Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Vortex Wake
01-09-2011, 17:12
Just saying what i was told and this guy works for goggle in dublin so he is well up on these things

Clearly not up enough ;)

btw Staples and Currys / PC World sell the Kindle too.

cainaries
01-09-2011, 17:39
Any shops in Tenerife selling them?!

My friend who, like me, rashly ordered a replacement for her undelivered kindle has just been told the second one is 'undeliverable' and has been returned to Amazon.

My replacement was shipped yesterday. (New readers should not bother with my saga). If only it were easier to contact Amazon and UPS. I am going to try to persuade them to hold the packet in UPS in Tenerife so I can go and collect it (and go mega-shopping as well).

karinagal
01-09-2011, 18:46
I'm coming to Tenerife on Saturday if anyone is truly desperate I could bring one over.....

christa
01-09-2011, 18:54
Any shops in Tenerife selling them?!

My friend who, like me, rashly ordered a replacement for her undelivered kindle has just been told the second one is 'undeliverable' and has been returned to Amazon.

My replacement was shipped yesterday. (New readers should not bother with my saga). If only it were easier to contact Amazon and UPS. I am going to try to persuade them to hold the packet in UPS in Tenerife so I can go and collect it (and go mega-shopping as well).

Good luck with your replacement Cainaries, at the great risk of sounding smug, I am loving mine, as I'm sure you will when you (eventually) get yours.

I would have thought UPS would be only too happy for you to collect if from Tenerife.
By the way, were you covered insurance wise with paying by credit card?

cainaries
01-09-2011, 19:06
I'm coming to Tenerife on Saturday if anyone is truly desperate I could bring one over.....

Hi Karina! That's quite an offer. I'm going to contact my friend who has now not received two of them to see if she would like to take you up on it. I am still hoping (misguided idiot that I am) that my replacement one just might turn up. It just landed in Germany. Have sent you a PM.

Added after 2 minutes:

Good luck with your replacement Cainaries, at the great risk of sounding smug, I am loving mine, as I'm sure you will when you (eventually) get yours.

I would have thought UPS would be only too happy for you to collect if from Tenerife.
By the way, were you covered insurance wise with paying by credit card?

Amazon have sent me loads of emails assuring me there will be a complete refund of the 'lost' kindle. They say it takes 10 working days to appear on my account. Presumably this is because they are checking I'm not telling porkies and also claiming on their own insurance. I am just hoping they are more honest than UPS and others involved in these transactions!

In the shipping info I got today it tells me that this is being shipped by a 'broker' but will remain under the control of UPS. Perhaps they've just realised La Palma isn't buried in the middle of Tenerife. Have just finished a book and am champing at the bit for something to read.

anto3
01-09-2011, 22:45
Just repeating what i am told, Are they the same price in Currys

slodgedad
01-09-2011, 22:54

If GOGGLE says it then who are we to disagree :glasses:

delderek
01-09-2011, 23:04
They are exactly the same price in all retailers inc Tesco. Cheapest in duty free, but only a couple of pounds. Also not sure as to how they would be registered uk or usa, as obviously buying from duty free, you would be leaving the country.

cainaries
01-09-2011, 23:08

I think this is a stunningly kind offer from a total stranger! I have been in PM contact with Karinagal. We poor kindle-deprived souls in La Palma are not taking her up on the offer this time but we will for her next trip.

Thanks Karinagal. I wish there were a gold star system on here you would definitely get one from us!

karinagal
01-09-2011, 23:18
I think this is a stunningly kind offer from a total stranger! I have been in PM contact with Karinagal. We poor kindle-deprived souls in La Palma are not taking her up on the offer this time but we will for her next trip.

Thanks Karinagal. I wish there were a gold star system on here you would definitely get one from us!

Aww shucks!! :shy:

Goforgold
02-09-2011, 08:11

Yep - that's where I bought mine from. :)

Ooooops!! These previous posts didn't show up 'till now - couldn't have refreshed the page!! :)

cainaries
06-09-2011, 15:29
Dear Readers of this thread ...

My Kindle has just arrived. I am too stunned to say much more. Thanks for all the moral support. No doubt I shall be back soon for lots of technical support. OH is very relieved as he was sick of my going on and on about it.

Goforgold
06-09-2011, 15:32
Fantastic CA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So pleased for you. :) :) :) :)

karinagal
06-09-2011, 16:13

My Kindle has just arrived. I am too stunned to say much more. Thanks for all the moral support. No doubt I shall be back soon for lots of technical support. OH is very relieved as he was sick of my going on and on about it.

Fantastic news!!!! May you and your Kindle be very happy together! :p

christa
06-09-2011, 18:21
Great news Cainaries! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Have used mine every day since it came and am still delighted with it.

Goforgold
06-09-2011, 18:35
Great news Cainaries! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Have used mine every day since it came and am still delighted with it.

I'm still thrilled to bits with mine too!! Although I can see why they might not suit everyone. I just love the convenience of never losing my place and always having the text set to what suits me and just so easy to pop into your handbag, I could go on but what I won't!! ;)

samnickgodber
06-09-2011, 19:04

Great news,,,, Happy reading x

Goforgold
06-09-2011, 19:09
Great news,,,, Happy reading x

Hi Sam, out of curiosity. If you live in Tenerife, can you only register with the USA site? I wonder how that would work with one registered in the UK, if it was taken permanently to Tenerife and e books downloaded from a PC there?

samnickgodber
07-09-2011, 06:43
Hi Sam, out of curiosity. If you live in Tenerife, can you only register with the USA site? I wonder how that would work with one registered in the UK, if it was taken permanently to Tenerife and e books downloaded from a PC there?

I live here permanently and it would only allow me to register with the USA site, but i have seen a function somewhere where you can change it and re-register with the UK one iīm sure,,,,i think in the kindle store,
Iīm not sure if its just because of the 3G and wireless as the reason for having to register on the USA site, x

Goforgold
07-09-2011, 08:08
Thanks Sam - it's all very quiet, CA must be reading!! ;)

Ecky Thump
07-09-2011, 09:07
Whats the battery life on a Kindle?, as after ploughing through this thread I think I am going to buy one.

delderek
07-09-2011, 09:10
I live here permanently and it would only allow me to register with the USA site, but i have seen a function somewhere where you can change it and re-register with the UK one iīm sure,,,,i think in the kindle store,
Iīm not sure if its just because of the 3G and wireless as the reason for having to register on the USA site, x

No its the copyright on the books.

If registered in the UK, and then moved to Tenerife, it will still connect to the UK site, as you are then roaming on 3g. (still free though)

samnickgodber
07-09-2011, 09:44
Whats the battery life on a Kindle?, as after ploughing through this thread I think I am going to buy one.

I got mine about 3 weeks ago now and read for about an hour a day if not a little more and have just had to charge mine but i do tend to use the browser quite alot which uses the battery life quicker x

I have a kindle cover for sale incidentally if anyone wishes to buy one, as soon as get around to it i will post an advert in the for sale section x

cainaries
07-09-2011, 09:45

I don't know yet! I'm sure someone does.

Just popped in to say good morning to everyone and to say that my paper was indeed delivered to my kindle overnight. Given I live in the middle of the Atlantic real papers are hard to come by and extremely expensive. No longer a problem and just think, I'll be able to read them in bed without even having to fetch them off the doormat! OH says it's no use as he can't do the crossword. Wonder if there's a way round that?

I got mine about 3 weeks ago now and read for about an hour a day if not a little more and have just had to charge mine but i do tend to use the browser quite alot which uses the battery life quicker x

I have a kindle cover for sale incidentally if anyone wishes to buy one, as soon as get around to it i will post an advert in the for sale section x
No need - I'll buy it! If we can work out how to transfer the money to you? I'll send you a PM.

Vortex Wake
07-09-2011, 10:28
It is possible to buy a Kindle cover / case with built in light - the case attaches to the kindle via its battery connectors in its 'spine' so uses the kindle battery power.

It is not cheap but my sister got one and is happy with it.

Goforgold
07-09-2011, 10:53
No its the copyright on the books.

If registered in the UK, and then moved to Tenerife, it will still connect to the UK site, as you are then roaming on 3g. (still free though)

What if I didn't use the roaming 3g and used a PC as I do here. 3g doesn't work where I live. (If I was living permanently in Tenerife I mean)

Added after 4 minutes:

For just reading Ecky, the battery should last at least a couple of weeks. The charger is great as it just goes into the wall socket without having to have a PC with you. :)

delderek
07-09-2011, 11:07
What if I didn't use the roaming 3g and used a PC as I do here. 3g doesn't work where I live. (If I was living permanently in Tenerife I mean)

Added after 4 minutes:

For just reading Ecky, the battery should last at least a couple of weeks. The charger is great as it just goes into the wall socket without having to have a PC with you. :)

Can't see a problem, if you are registered with Amazon uk, then you should be able to log in via your pc, to the uk site and then use the sync facility, or transfer via usb.

Goforgold
07-09-2011, 11:39
It is possible to buy a Kindle cover / case with built in light - the case attaches to the kindle via its battery connectors in its 'spine' so uses the kindle battery power.

It is not cheap but my sister got one and is happy with it.

I was pondering on whether to buy that one, with the built in light - it would be very useful for those with partners who object to the bedside light being on. Fortunately mine can stand LBC being on all night along with the side light and still he sleeps!! :)

delderek
07-09-2011, 11:56
I was pondering on whether to buy that one, with the built in light - it would be very useful for those with partners who object to the bedside light being on. Fortunately mine can stand LBC being on all night along with the side light and still he sleeps!! :)

It is well worth the extra, and can be useful in tenerife power cuts. It also gives the kindle very good protection when travelling. One minus point, it does increase the weight.

Goforgold
07-09-2011, 12:01
It is well worth the extra, and can be useful in tenerife power cuts. It also gives the kindle very good protection when travelling. One minus point, it does increase the weight.

Good thinking Batman!! Unfortunately I've already bought the leather cover. I'm not sure if I would be able to 'hold' any more extra weight when reading normally, but would be great for those odd occasions when I find myself in the dark! :)

cainaries
07-09-2011, 13:16

Added after 4 minutes:

I've seen this 'if I were living permanently in Tenerife, GFG' Well noted by this reader! I wonder if you can fool the system by installing a UK VPN (like several have done for watching the television).

The wall charger is indeed great but for someone who wanted to use their kindle in Tenerife they might do well order the European one so they can recharge the kindle in Tenerife without having to lug adaptors about. Just a thought.

Goforgold
07-09-2011, 13:42
The wall charger is indeed great but for someone who wanted to use their kindle in Tenerife they might do well order the European one so they can recharge the kindle in Tenerife without having to lug adaptors about. Just a thought.

I'm not made of money CA!! ;) I'm taking my netbook too, so can charge from that, but those lightweight adapters weigh nothing, we always take half a doz or so. :)

What with Vortex Wake's 'cover with the reading light' and your 'European' Kindle charger, there won't be anything left to spend on my hols! :(

Vortex Wake
07-09-2011, 13:52
Try this :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EU-Wall-Charger-Samsung-i9000-Galaxy-S-S2-SII-i9100-/190563641967?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesso ries_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item2c5e7a6a6f

Goforgold
07-09-2011, 14:14
Thats cheap enough VW - thanks for that. Now all I need is a cheap way of lighting up - I think you can get LED clip ons so will have to do a reccie. :)

cainaries
07-09-2011, 17:44
I'm not made of money CA!! ;) I'm taking my netbook too, so can charge from that, but those lightweight adapters weigh nothing, we always take half a doz or so. :)

What with Vortex Wake's 'cover with the reading light' and your 'European' Kindle charger, there won't be anything left to spend on my hols! :(

Well, that wouldn't do! Gotta have some money for the barraquitos!

Goforgold
07-09-2011, 18:03
Well, that wouldn't do! Gotta have some money for the barraquitos!

You're on my wavelength!! That's the first thing we drink when we get there, but we covered that on another thread!! :)

Hope you're still happy with your Kindle?! I'm now awaiting my snuggly electric throw!! ;)

cainaries
07-09-2011, 18:44
You're on my wavelength!! That's the first thing we drink when we get there, but we covered that on another thread!! :)

Hope you're still happy with your Kindle?! I'm now awaiting my snuggly electric throw!! ;)

Have spent most of today reading the newspaper on the kindle which is one of the main reasons I had wanted to get it. Happy ... oh yes!

tonythorne
09-09-2011, 14:28
Conratulations to all new Kindle users, and welcome to the Club... when we form one that is.

Meanwhile do have a look at my Kindle books all available from Amazon ... just enter Thorne MBE against the KINDLE STORE prompt, in Amazon Books.. or see www.tonythorne.com for a free offer.

Suej
09-09-2011, 14:39
Have spent most of today reading the newspaper on the kindle which is one of the main reasons I had wanted to get it. Happy ... oh yes!

Are the papers and mags free Cainaries?:)

Goforgold
09-09-2011, 15:08
You have to pay for them Suej :( - I think CA said Ģ2.00 a week for her paper.

cainaries
09-09-2011, 15:45
Are the papers and mags free Cainaries?:)

No, sadly not. I know you can read most papers online for free but I'm Times reader (I don't know why, it goes back to childhood I think and runs in the family) and I don't seem to be able to read that on line. I shall let you know what happens about the supplements when we get to the weekend. Nor do I know what happens if you already subscribe to something. OH was hoping to get a magazine through the kindle which we get delivered anything up to a month after it's published and wants to read it on the kindle but the only option on the magazine's website is i-phone and i-pad. Times and Sunday Times are roughly 23 US Dollars for 28 days. it says a month but I think it means every 28 days which somehow means you make 13 payments! Been caught that way before.

Suej
09-09-2011, 17:54
You read the Times since you were a kid?!!!! Iīm impressed!:wow::bowdown:

cainaries
09-09-2011, 19:20
You read the Times since you were a kid?!!!! Iīm impressed!:wow::bowdown:
Woops, that came out like rather a show-offy thing to say. My father put the Times up in front of him at breakfast every day and no-one was allowed to speak. So I started reading it to see what all the fuss was about. And got hooked. It's not the same as it was pre Murdoch though.

Have you got a kindle, Suej?

And a general question for all those who bought kindles from the US site ... is there any way to find out what the wonderful screensavers are? They are etchings or old photos and the photos tell you they are but I can't find out anything about the etchings.

Ecky Thump
10-09-2011, 09:23
If I get a Kindle 3g, will I be able to access my yahoo emails on it?:confused:

Goforgold
10-09-2011, 09:37

I believe so Ecky. I can access gmail and the forum etc. However I find it so fiddly that I've given up on that one, but then I don't have the patience for small screens, you may be different. :)

And a general question for all those who bought kindles from the US site ... is there any way to find out what the wonderful screensavers are? They are etchings or old photos and the photos tell you they are but I can't find out anything about the etchings.

I dropped you a line with some of the names - do you have the same etchings as me and if not do you want to come up and see mine sometime??!! ;)

Suej
10-09-2011, 13:50
Woops, that came out like rather a show-offy thing to say. My father put the Times up in front of him at breakfast every day and no-one was allowed to speak. So I started reading it to see what all the fuss was about. And got hooked. It's not the same as it was pre Murdoch though.

Have you got a kindle, Suej?

No I havenīt:( I am seriously thinking about getting one as I feel the odd one out in the dungeon with just an old paperback to read!doing my research first though!:reading:

DeeD
10-09-2011, 15:14

I don't know about the UK but I have been unable to connect to yahoo, google, etc. in the Canary Isles. It says "Due to local restrictions, web browsing is not available for all countries"

I believe that the web browsing is still in the experimental stage so who knows!

cainaries
10-09-2011, 16:06

Kindle give you a kindle email address with your kindle. I got the impression there was a charge for receiving attachments to your emails. Whether or not you can programme your yahoo account to forward emails to your kindle account, I don't know.

Added after 3 minutes:

No I havenīt:( I am seriously thinking about getting one as I feel the odd one out in the dungeon with just an old paperback to read!doing my research first though!:reading:

I suspect some of my reasons for getting one would not be so valid for you, Suej. Probably a vast supply of English books in Tenerife whereas here there is nothing and I have been missing being able to browse in a bookshop and buy something new. Also you can probably get most newspapers whereas here they arrive a day late and are unbelievably expensive. And we've only got a small place and there are books everywhere which doesn't worry me but drives OH mad. And last but not least I simply wanted one. And it is even better than I imagined. Especially the etchings.;);)

I don't know about the UK but I have been unable to connect to yahoo, google, etc. in the Canary Isles. It says "Due to local restrictions, web browsing is not available for all countries"

I believe that the web browsing is still in the experimental stage so who knows!

Thanks DeeD. At least I'll know it's not just me if I can't connect!

anto3
10-09-2011, 16:56
My friend received my kindle 3g after 2 days. He is so in love with it, he said he feels his birthday at christmas so i sent him text to say i will buy him one. Have to start saving. Just hurry up friday so i will have it. He works for google so will be able to answer any question i have,

Vortex Wake
10-09-2011, 17:22
My friend received my kindle 3g after 2 days. He is so in love with it, he said he feels his birthday at christmas so i sent him text to say i will buy him one. Have to start saving. Just hurry up friday so i will have it. He works for google so will be able to answer any question i have,

I think the people on this forum know about the Kindle too ;)

Goforgold
10-09-2011, 18:02

Come on Suej get a Kindle and we can 'share' the books!! :) I don't know how yet as not looked into it, but I sure someone will give us the A,B,C - maybe Vortex Wake?.........:hide:

Added after 2 minutes:

I think the people on this forum know about the Kindle too ;)

Not as much as you though VW !! ;)

EDIT - I love the handiness of it and never having to find my place when the book mark falls out and it's great in bed too!! I can't see me reading an ordinary book again which is bad as I've been given several of Martina Cole's latest books. They are brand new and only read once and such a shame to just take to a charity shop. :(

cainaries
10-09-2011, 18:06
Come on Suej get a Kindle and we can 'share' the books!! :) I don't know how yet as not looked into it, but I sure someone will give us the A,B,C - maybe Vortex Wake?.........:hide:

Added after 2 minutes:

Not as much as you though VW !! ;)

Only book I've actually paid for so far, GFG, is a weighty tome about the last days of the Third Reich. You'll not be surprised to hear it wasn't for me. From what I remember Suej might know of someone else who might like this book?:Drolleyes2:

Goforgold
10-09-2011, 18:13
Only book I've actually paid for so far, GFG, is a weighty tome about the last days of the Third Reich. You'll not be surprised to hear it wasn't for me. From what I remember Suej might know of someone else who might like this book?:Drolleyes2:

Who would that be then CA? Gotta be a man!!!

Hey!! You haven't replied to my e mail about the etchings!! I'm dying to know if you have the faces to my names!! :)

Suej
10-09-2011, 19:05

:laugh::crylaughing:

Who would that be then CA? Gotta be a man!!!

Hey!! You haven't replied to my e mail about the etchings!! I'm dying to know if you have the faces to my names!! :)

Eeeermmmm!:devil:

Goforgold
10-09-2011, 19:15
:laugh::crylaughing:

Eeeermmmm!:devil:

Suej, I can't get any sense out of CA at the moment !!! I think you must have taken too much vino into the dungeon!! ;)

cainaries
10-09-2011, 19:56
Suej, I can't get any sense out of CA at the moment !!! I think you must have taken too much vino into the dungeon!! ;)

Not possible to have too much vino in the dungeon, GFG. In fact I haven't started yet today but am just about to.

Sorry about the etchings confusion. I think I have most of the same ones as you, possibly more Americans since my Kindle is American (made in China, of course).

Goforgold
10-09-2011, 20:04
Not possible to have too much vino in the dungeon, GFG. In fact I haven't started yet today but am just about to.

Sorry about the etchings confusion. I think I have most of the same ones as you, possibly more Americans since my Kindle is American (made in China, of course).

I seem to have the same as you then - could one of them that isn't named be Mau Tci Tong then?? :)

cainaries
11-09-2011, 09:26
I seem to have the same as you then - could one of them that isn't named be Mau Tci Tong then?? :)

Then The Little Red Book should be a free download.

Suej
11-09-2011, 16:43
Iīve read almost the whole of this thread and my question is when might the next version of the Kindle be on sale... not sure if itīs worth waiting a bit?:idea:

Vortex Wake
11-09-2011, 17:47
Iīve read almost the whole of this thread and my question is when might the next version of the Kindle be on sale... not sure if itīs worth waiting a bit?:idea:

No one actually knows - but there are many rumour websites online

Suej
11-09-2011, 18:09
No one actually knows - but there are many rumour websites online

Since my last post I have had a look on the internet and there are rumours that a new Kindle might be launched Christmas 2011, touch screen and in colour! I am in no rush as have a few paperbacks to keep me going for a while so might just wait and see! ;)

cainaries
11-09-2011, 19:27
Since my last post I have had a look on the internet and there are rumours that a new Kindle might be launched Christmas 2011, touch screen and in colour! I am in no rush as have a few paperbacks to keep me going for a while so might just wait and see! ;)

I confess, Suej, I was very tempted by the 'nook' (Barnes and Noble) which is, indeed, in colour. I couldn't work out how you got the books though. I need things to be simple. May be I'll give this kindle to OH as a Christmas present and get myself the new one. Not sure OH will see that quite the way I do though.

Suej
11-09-2011, 21:10
I confess, Suej, I was very tempted by the 'nook' (Barnes and Noble) which is, indeed, in colour. I couldn't work out how you got the books though. I need things to be simple. May be I'll give this kindle to OH as a Christmas present and get myself the new one. Not sure OH will see that quite the way I do though.

If the current Kindle has been out for nearly a year or so chances are there could well be a new one out at Christmas (excellent time to launch one too) but at the moment itīs only rumour Cainaries! Iīll keep watching the internet!;)

Vortex Wake
13-09-2011, 09:56
http://tapatalk.com/mu/b264ea83-1a7f-2971.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/b264ea83-1a91-e987.jpg

Daily mail

delderek
13-09-2011, 10:25
According to the Daily Telegraph a new device will be launched by Amazon soon, but reports are that it is more of a tablet, it will of course be a book reader as well, price is likely to be double that of a standard Kindle, and is aimed at a different market.

Suej
13-09-2011, 10:52
Thanks guys for the info! I like my rumour better though;)! touch screen and colour with improved internet access!:laugh:

Vortex Wake
13-09-2011, 12:03
Thanks guys for the info! I like my rumour better though;)! touch screen and colour with improved internet access!:laugh:
Steady ;) Improved internet access is likely to mean pay-as-you-go, as the free 3g provider Vodafone could not provide free access for kindle users, but paid for access to its own customers.

Suej
13-09-2011, 12:14
Steady ;) Improved internet access is likely to mean pay-as-you-go, as the free 3g provider Vodafone could not provide free access for kindle users, but paid for access to its own customers.

Would you say itīs not worth waiting VW just order the current Kindle? I deffo donīt want to be paying for internet!eek2:

delderek
13-09-2011, 15:23
Surely one of the big advantages of the current Kindle, is that it can be read in bright sunlight, this is just not going to be possible with LCD screens, no matter how good they are, and battery life could get nowhere near the two or three weeks.

Vortex Wake
13-09-2011, 15:23
Would you say itīs not worth waiting VW just order the current Kindle? I deffo donīt want to be paying for internet!eek2:

I think you need to have a demo in Tenerife on the Kindle and what it can and can't do :)

cainaries
13-09-2011, 17:02
I think you need to have a demo in Tenerife on the Kindle and what it can and can't do :)

Suej - you're very welcome to hop over to La Palma and test mine!

Suej
13-09-2011, 17:06

Iīm just being inquisitive I suppose VW! I really just want it to read books but the browser albeit basic was also an attraction!

Suej - you're very welcome to hop over to La Palma and test mine!

Thanks Cainaries!:D could probably down a few bottles of vino together at the same time!:idea:

Goforgold
13-09-2011, 20:29

Just go for it Suej!! You've only got a couple of weeks to make up your mind! ;) We can share bedtime stories then - when Vortex shows us how!! :D

Unless you've already read them, I got several you will enjoy. :)

Vortex Wake
13-09-2011, 21:21
Pass :D I don't own or use a kindle - all I know about the Kindle was from the research I did when buying my sister one for her birthday and what she tells me about it :)

Goforgold
13-09-2011, 21:27
Pass :D I don't own or use a kindle - all I know about the Kindle was from the research I did when buying my sister one for her birthday and what she tells me about it :)

I know you don't own one, you are just a very clever man !! :)

Suej
15-09-2011, 16:25
I am still a bit confused about downloading books to a Kindle being used in Tenerife! Is it right then that the books could only be purchased from Amazon.com? which surely would mean I would have to pay in US dollars? so how does this work when paying with a UK debit card?:confused:

cainaries
15-09-2011, 23:59
Iīm just being inquisitive I suppose VW! I really just want it to read books but the browser albeit basic was also an attraction!

Thanks Cainaries!:D could probably down a few bottles of vino together at the same time!:idea:

Just as long as we don't spill any on the kindle.

Added after 3 minutes:

I am still a bit confused about downloading books to a Kindle being used in Tenerife! Is it right then that the books could only be purchased from Amazon.com? which surely would mean I would have to pay in US dollars? so how does this work when paying with a UK debit card?:confused:

Suej it is alarmingly EASY. You just enter your credit card .. exactly as you do when you use Amazon UK and it snatches your money away and sends you the book by 'whisperjet' and within a minute or so the book is on your kindle. Addictively easy. The easiest peasist way of spending too much money. On a good day it asks if you want to see the sterling amount but it's got wise to me now and just smiles, takes the money and sends the book. Oh, I am using my computer's wifi - so the kindle is connected to the internet via the computer.

Suej
16-09-2011, 10:47
Thanks Cainaries! so titles etc are still the same as whatīs on offer from Amazon UK? sorry not up on this sort of thing, anyway I am arranging for my Kindle to go to my Sister in UK she will bring it with her on 2nd October!!!:jumping:

cainaries
16-09-2011, 11:02
Thanks Cainaries! so titles etc are still the same as whatīs on offer from Amazon UK? sorry not up on this sort of thing, anyway I am arranging for my Kindle to go to my Sister in UK she will bring it with her on 2nd October!!!:jumping:

That's great and I'm sure you'll love it.

Suej .. I think you need to look into this a bit as to where you register the kindle. I honestly don't know but I'm sure someone on here must have had a kindle brought out from the UK and can advise. If you've paid for the kindle and it's on your amazon uk account I think you should just be able to download from the UK site. Especially if your IP is invisible. I've been downloading books wirelessly. Buy them on the pc and they arrive on the kindle. UK site will be better as more choice of UK books and they're cheaper.

Suej
16-09-2011, 11:22
That's great and I'm sure you'll love it.

Suej .. I think you need to look into this a bit as to where you register the kindle. I honestly don't know but I'm sure someone on here must have had a kindle brought out from the UK and can advise. If you've paid for the kindle and it's on your amazon uk account I think you should just be able to download from the UK site. Especially if your IP is invisible. I've been downloading books wirelessly. Buy them on the pc and they arrive on the kindle. UK site will be better as more choice of UK books and they're cheaper.

I have been told by Amazon that access/registration is only applicable to UK Residents...hereīs the reply I got from them...

Further to your chat with my colleague, I see that you want to purchase a Kindle 3G and kindle books from Amazon.co.uk and that you have a UK address and payment card, but for most the times you are in Canary islands, Spain and want to know if you can access the kindle books staying in Canary islands, Spain.

Kindle content on Amazon.co.uk is available to UK residents only.

However, you may purchase kindle books from Amazon.co.uk if you are in Uk and your kindle is registered to your Amazon.co.uk account.

You can also access the books if you have placed the order when you are in UK as the book will still be on your home page.

Customers residing outside the UK can shop for and download Kindle content from our partner site Amazon.com or Amazon.de if applicable.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

cainaries
16-09-2011, 14:33
I have been told by Amazon that access/registration is only applicable to UK Residents...hereīs the reply I got from them...

Further to your chat with my colleague, I see that you want to purchase a Kindle 3G and kindle books from Amazon.co.uk and that you have a UK address and payment card, but for most the times you are in Canary islands, Spain and want to know if you can access the kindle books staying in Canary islands, Spain.

Kindle content on Amazon.co.uk is available to UK residents only.

However, you may purchase kindle books from Amazon.co.uk if you are in Uk and your kindle is registered to your Amazon.co.uk account.

You can also access the books if you have placed the order when you are in UK as the book will still be on your home page.

Customers residing outside the UK can shop for and download Kindle content from our partner site Amazon.com or Amazon.de if applicable.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your interest in Kindle.

Thanks, Suej, that's really helpful. If I'm planning a trip to the UK, I'll make myself a list and buy all the books when I'm there.

Goforgold
16-09-2011, 17:34
Until I found the easy way to get into the Kindle Store !! I went into the American site by mistake the other night, without knowing and came across all these 'free' blogs that you can download that will advise you what 'free' books are on offer. Apparently the 'free' books change on an hourly/daily basis. This is not offered on the UK site! :( - edit: it is offered but you have to pay.

Be careful with the 1 Klick Suej - I found I'd ordered all sorts of things the other night and had to unsubscribe!! :) I think CA has come across that facility too!! ;)

anto3
16-09-2011, 22:33
Got my kindle tonight from my friend that works for goggle. I asked him if there will be another one coming out soon. He said the next one will be a colour screen and colour text. Anyway bought my first book. Fear of Flying. 7 dollars which is about 6 euro. Looked at books i got delivered to Tenerife which were 14 euro each and i could have bought them for 6 euro, Will read update here tomorrow to see what else i can learn,

cainaries
16-09-2011, 22:38
Got my kindle tonight from my friend that works for goggle. I asked him if there will be another one coming out soon. He said the next one will be a colour screen and colour text. Anyway bought my first book. Fear of Flying. 7 dollars which is about 6 euro. Looked at books i got delivered to Tenerife which were 14 euro each and i could have bought them for 6 euro, Will read update here tomorrow to see what else i can learn,

Thanks and enjoy your kindle. All tips are useful and helpful to all of us.

Until I found the easy way to get into the Kindle Store !! I went into the American site by mistake the other night, without knowing and came across all these 'free' blogs that you can download that will advise you what 'free' books are on offer. Apparently the 'free' books change on an hourly/daily basis. This is not offered on the UK site! :( - edit: it is offered but you have to pay.

Be careful with the 1 Klick Suej - I found I'd ordered all sorts of things the other night and had to unsubscribe!! :) I think CA has come across that facility too!! ;)

Oh yes do watch the 'browsing' which somehow turns into 'subscribing' .. still not sure how I strayed from one to the other.

Ecky Thump
16-09-2011, 22:43

I might have to eat my words, but I would place a large bet that this won't happen, given the high amount of colour blind people that there are.:dontknow:

Pop
17-09-2011, 13:57
...do you know that if it's a 3G Kindle you can use email and basic Internet browsing for free, if you register a Kindle address...anywhere in the world!

Goforgold
17-09-2011, 14:18
...do you know that if it's a 3G Kindle you can use email and basic Internet browsing for free, if you register a Kindle address...anywhere in the world!

Yes, however I found the internet browsing a little frustrating as the Zoom In only lasts for the part of the page you're looking at, so each time you move across the page you have to go into that mode.

Suej
17-09-2011, 14:46
Yes, however I found the internet browsing a little frustrating as the Zoom In only lasts for the part of the page you're looking at, so each time you move across the page you have to go into that mode.

You are right GFG (for once LOL) all posts on Kindles are very welcome please! so much I have found out from here! always thought Kindles were chocolate eggs!:yum:

Maybe it wasnīt you that said that about posting! I think I need my pills! :crazy:

Goforgold
17-09-2011, 15:25
You are right GFG (for once LOL) all posts on Kindles are very welcome please! so much I have found out from here! always thought Kindles were chocolate eggs!:yum:

How do you know I'm right Suej - you haven't got yours yet ?? :tongue:

Yeah!! That's right Kindle eggs - never did like them!! :D

anto3
17-09-2011, 15:43
So somebody told me i will have to pay each time i check my emai. true or false.

Vortex Wake
17-09-2011, 15:53
So somebody told me i will have to pay each time i check my emai. true or false.

False

Would that be your friend who works for 'Goggle' ?

Suej
17-09-2011, 15:56
How do you know I'm right Suej - you haven't got yours yet ?? :tongue:

Yeah!! That's right Kindle eggs - never did like them!! :D

You were right to say that people should post so we gets lots of info! Doh! īave you had your pills today?:laugh:

The little toys inside the Kindles were nice though!:devil:

Goforgold
17-09-2011, 16:05
False

No!! Not him!! That was Biggles!! :D

Suej
17-09-2011, 16:26
False

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

No!! Not him!! That was Biggles!! :D

No GFG it was definitely Boogles!:devil2:

Goforgold
17-09-2011, 16:39
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

No GFG it was definitely Boogles!:devil2:

Who is Boogles ???

Haven't you heard of the book - Biggles Flys Undone!!! :)

Are you sure you've taken all your tablets dear? ;)

cainaries
17-09-2011, 19:39
Who is Boogles ???

Haven't you heard of the book - Biggles Flys Undone!!! :)

Are you sure you've taken all your tablets dear? ;)

So glad you have gone totally off topic here as I had forgotten to take mine and have just seen this 'chat' on here. Is Slodgey ok - thought he would have sent us all to off topic ages ago on this thread.