PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Advice required on travelling to tenerife with a dog

paulhancock
17-03-2018, 19:28
Help please.
I am looking to travel from Spain (Huelva) to Tenerife, by ferry, with my 2 cockerpoos.

Feedback on TripAdviser relating to the transportation of dogs on this ferry route is over six years old and negative. Owners state that their dogs had to be caged throughout the journey with only 3 visits per day being allowed.

Having checked with the ferry company I am told that dogs weighing less than 10kg can remain with their owners throughout the journey, but are not allowed in cabins or dining areas.

I would greatly appreciate verification that the ferry companies assurance is correct from anyone who has undertaken this journey, recently, with a dog weighing under 10kg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rachel C
12-04-2018, 14:55
Hi Paul

My husband did this trip with our old cocker spaniel (not less than 10kgs sorry) in October. He was originally booked on the Transmediterranea from Cadiz, but after a few days delay because of engine trouble they transferred him to the Armas ferry.
Our dog Arry was housed in a cage on an outside deck and my husband was able to spend as much time as he wanted with him outside, the weather was good so he spent lots of time with the dog, walking him plenty, from early morning to late at night. The cages were reasonably spacious (for a medium sized dog, anyway) and sufficiently warm and protected from the elements, he had his own cushion and toys with him. Arry is a tough little fella, but he's still thirteen years old. He arrived happy and in perfectly good health after a three day road trip, two nights in a hotel in Cadiz, and three nights on the ferry (one in port, before departure).
I'm not sure how the trip is in December/January, when maybe the cold weather is a factor, or in July/August for the heat. I believe there are also cages on the car deck where access is restricted to three times a day, but maybe I just read that in the same post as you did.
Hope this helps!

paulhancock
12-04-2018, 15:24
Hi Paul

My husband did this trip with our old cocker spaniel (not less than 10kgs sorry) in October. He was originally booked on the Transmediterranea from Cadiz, but after a few days delay because of engine trouble they transferred him to the Armas ferry.
Our dog Arry was housed in a cage on an outside deck and my husband was able to spend as much time as he wanted with him outside, the weather was good so he spent lots of time with the dog, walking him plenty, from early morning to late at night. The cages were reasonably spacious (for a medium sized dog, anyway) and sufficiently warm and protected from the elements, he had his own cushion and toys with him. Arry is a tough little fella, but he's still thirteen years old. He arrived happy and in perfectly good health after a three day road trip, two nights in a hotel in Cadiz, and three nights on the ferry (one in port, before departure).
I'm not sure how the trip is in December/January, when maybe the cold weather is a factor, or in July/August for the heat. I believe there are also cages on the car deck where access is restricted to three times a day, but maybe I just read that in the same post as you did.
Hope this helps!

Thank you Rachel,
This is reassuring information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk