PDA

View Full Version : Iceland are now charging for carrier bags in Tenerife

asox39
27-06-2011, 13:13
Just been to Iceland by Arona Gran Beware they have started charging 5 cents per carry bag don't line there pockets take your own

uptowngirl
27-06-2011, 13:19
I don't think it can be called a 'rip off'........................... its what all retail outlets are beginning to do I'm afraid!!!

sunspot
27-06-2011, 13:19
Cant see how you can call it a rip off, its the take your own bag they are trying to encourage.Mercadona bags are 10 cents

asox39
27-06-2011, 13:26
Isn't the price of Food dear enough without any extras

YOUNG GOLFER
27-06-2011, 13:27
Think it was a couple weeks back they brought this in about paying for bags.Don't think it's that bad idea after all most people just thrown their bags in the bin when finished which is a waste.
Instead people will think twice and bring their own.

Nice little supermarket iceland don't go there every week but when i do it's nice to pick up a treat or two.

Andy0210
27-06-2011, 13:36
Isn't the price of Food dear enough without any extras

Who forces you to shop there then? ???

atlantico
27-06-2011, 13:37
charging for carrier bags is going to become LAW in all retail outlets in UK soon . . . . . . get used to it.

It's starting in Wales this October !

Suej
27-06-2011, 13:48
Just been to Iceland by Arona Gran Beware they have started charging 5 cents per carry bag don't line there pockets take your own

Itīs widespread over the Island, Carrefour, Al Campo, Ikea etc...Doesnīt bother me at all except on the rare occasion when I forget to take them in the store with me and have to traipse back to the car to get them! All good exercise though. Youīll soon get used to it!:):):)

irishmusico
27-06-2011, 13:48
They brought this law in,in Ireland a few years ago.It is to encourage shoppers to re-use their bags.They do this in Hiperdino also.The girl in Iceland looked a bit worried when she told me,probably getting some stick from the customers.She looked relieved when I told her it was the norm in Ireland.Its coming in everywhere. :)

Angusjim
27-06-2011, 13:50
Not another thread about rip off Tenerife close this thread immediately:whistle::whistle:

Tom & Sharon
27-06-2011, 13:58
I am against this policy as well.

It's still a "for profit" add on. The true cost of a carrier bag cannot possibly be 5c/5p in the quantities that supermarkets buy them, so there is a profit element. Iceland UK are still giving free carrier bags out. Many of the UK supermarkets tried this a couple of years ago, and had to back down on it. Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys all still give free bags, they just don't put them out on the end of the checkout.

If they are that bothered, why don't they make it law that you can only give bio-degradable bags? But no, it's just another way to charge for something and hide behind "green" policies.

Also, I like many people, use carrier bags for bagging my rubbish. If I don't use the free ones, I have to buy rubbish bags. Still another waste bag in the environment, so what's green about that?

It's also a pain in the backside, when you've got a trolley load of shopping messing about with your own bags. At the moment when you go through the checkout with loads of shopping, you're at one end still piling your shopping on the belt, and the checkout staff pack your carriers as it goes through. How is that going to work now? If you've go to let all your shopping pile up at the other end, then pay, then start packing it all, it's going to take twice as long to get through the tills. At Christmas it will be a nightmare, when people can have 2 trolleys each. The supermarkets will have to open more checkouts and pay more staff, and they won't like that either. Cheaper for them to give out free carrier bags.

The other thing is that the re-usable bags are huge. If you've got heavy shopping and fill them, you can hardly lift them.

It's just a load of political, extra profit making clap-trap.

pablo1
27-06-2011, 14:04
Poor OP, whatever you do don't post negativity about Tenerife, especially Iceland! You'll be chased off the board quicker than you can say " how much for a bag??? "

tonypub
27-06-2011, 14:06
think we need a new name here.the shoppers of the world forum.org:raspberry2:

dede
27-06-2011, 14:08
Ive been warned i cant post on this thread:lol::lol::lol::lol:

pablo1
27-06-2011, 14:11
Ha ha! I was thinking that Tony, can't remember so many food based threads in 5 years!! :-)

Vortex Wake
27-06-2011, 14:20
I am against this policy as well.

It's still a "for profit" add on. The true cost of a carrier bag cannot possibly be 5c/5p in the quantities that supermarkets buy them, so there is a profit element. Iceland UK are still giving free carrier bags out. Many of the UK supermarkets tried this a couple of years ago, and had to back down on it. Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys all still give free bags, they just don't put them out on the end of the checkout.

If they are that bothered, why don't they make it law that you can only give bio-degradable bags? But no, it's just another way to charge for something and hide behind "green" policies.

Also, I like many people, use carrier bags for bagging my rubbish. If I don't use the free ones, I have to buy rubbish bags. Still another waste bag in the environment, so what's green about that?

It's also a pain in the backside, when you've got a trolley load of shopping messing about with your own bags. At the moment when you go through the checkout with loads of shopping, you're at one end still piling your shopping on the belt, and the checkout staff pack your carriers as it goes through. How is that going to work now? If you've go to let all your shopping pile up at the other end, then pay, then start packing it all, it's going to take twice as long to get through the tills. At Christmas it will be a nightmare, when people can have 2 trolleys each. The supermarkets will have to open more checkouts and pay more staff, and they won't like that either. Cheaper for them to give out free carrier bags.

The other thing is that the re-usable bags are huge. If you've got heavy shopping and fill them, you can hardly lift them.

It's just a load of political, extra profit making clap-trap.

And the shops could turn off lights/tills/video displays/stairs etc when not in use i.e. overnight
, and save energy. This 'green' policy shops try on is false in my opinion.

And how many times have you bought a dozen items in a shop , paid by card, get your receipt - and the check out girl just looks at you. How do I know I must askfor a bag before I have paid - after all, you can't buy a bag on a card on its own.

tonypub
27-06-2011, 14:23
Ha ha! I was thinking that Tony, can't remember so many food based threads in 5 years!! :-)we all gunna end up clinically obese like 60% of the uk population(dont quote me on that)unless the euro goes down the pan

we all gunna end up clinically obese like 60% of the uk population(dont quote me on that)unless the euro goes down the panright im off to the pool ,whos comin?

tizzywizzy
27-06-2011, 18:32
I shop in Asda most of the time. If I am doing a big shop i take my reuse able bags. If i run out,the assistant gives me a couple of the plastic ones.The checkout people always ask if you want help with your packing. If i only have a few items i use the self checkout till which has free plastic bags. Christmas time the scouts and other groups offer bag packing for a donation. Tesco's are the same.

If i use Aldi's everything is put into your trolley and you go over to the area to pack your own bags.

I do not like the charges but more and more places are doing it so you have no choice if you can't be bothered recycling.

with cheese
27-06-2011, 18:40
Take your own, bunch of tight a*rse whingers, 5 cents, why not charge for what you provide.

Zara
27-06-2011, 18:52
Take your own, bunch of tight a*rse whingers, 5 cents, why not charge for what you provide.

I always take my own bags as I hate plastic ones. Last year while I was picking some things up in Mercadona someone pinched my folded black canvas bags from my trolley obviously thought they were a handbag. I now have large cream ones with silly logos (not as tasteful but at least they do the job). :crazy::crazy:

hedgehog
27-06-2011, 19:02
What is the world coming to...

caroletenerife
27-06-2011, 19:11
I'm in favour of charging for bags as a way to encourage people to bring their own. I read an article about how bad the problem of plastic bags in the sea are around the Canaries, turtles especially are at risk from them.
The link here isnt that article, but you get the jist. It would be nice if the companies donated the revenue raised from bags to local enviromental groups, doubt it will happen though .
http://hubpages.com/hub/Plastic-pollution-is-a-problem-in-Tenerife-too

Chris P. Bacon
27-06-2011, 19:23
As is the case with M & S in the uk lots of retailers donate the money charged for a bag to the environment. Is it not likely that Mercadona and Iceland do that too? (well you just don't know do you?) Surely the more that is charged for a bag the less likely people are to buy one so perhaps that's why they charge what they do. It's not rocket science is it?

Is it such a problem Sharon to pack as they scan? why do you have to wait to pay first? :confused:

At Christmas retailers often have packers (charity) use them if you wish or just shop early to avoid the queues!

We have been taking bags to the supermarket for years, it's just a matter of being organised that's all....

Suej
27-06-2011, 20:06
As is the case with M & S in the uk lots of retailers donate the money charged for a bag to the environment. Is it not likely that Mercadona and Iceland do that too? (well you just don't know do you?) Surely the more that is charged for a bag the less likely people are to buy one so perhaps that's why they charge what they do. It's not rocket science is it?

Is it such a problem Sharon to pack as they scan? why do you have to wait to pay first? :confused:

At Christmas retailers often have packers (charity) use them if you wish or just shop early to avoid the queues!

We have been taking bags to the supermarket for years, it's just a matter of being organised that's all....

Itīs the organised bit I have a problem with:) but getting there:ashamed:

Rikkig
27-06-2011, 20:23
If the supermarkets are genuinely enviromantally aware why don't they make the cardboard boxes that goods arrive in available (like supermarkets used to do) rather them flattening them and then dumping them. Instant cardboard recycling, a free service to customers, and damn handy as well.

tonypub
27-06-2011, 20:28
again,whats wrong with a business making money.pfft

Chris P. Bacon
27-06-2011, 20:29
If the supermarkets are genuinely enviromantally aware why don't they make the cardboard boxes that goods arrive in available (like supermarkets used to do) rather them flattening them and then dumping them. Instant cardboard recycling, a free service to customers, and damn handy as well.

Probably because they will get more out of them if recycled as opposed to customers just binning them and cluttering up the environment. Can you imagine how unsightly it would be having cardboard boxes strew around next to the checkouts? :eyebrows:

reggie
27-06-2011, 20:37
They should make bags a euro, then people will start using there own, or look after the one's they have, 5 cents ? a bl--dy tramp would pay that,

Tom & Sharon
27-06-2011, 20:38

Absolutely nothing, as long as they don't dress it up as something else.

tonypub
27-06-2011, 20:46
Absolutely nothing, as long as they don't dress it up as something else.dont think overseas have have they?i can imagine the cost of these bags over the year would be pretty substantial.im thinking of charging for straws,or you can by a super duper re-useable one for 50cents:crylaughing::crylaughing::spin:

Tom & Sharon
27-06-2011, 21:11
dont think overseas have have they?i can imagine the cost of these bags over the year would be pretty substantial.im thinking of charging for straws,or you can by a super duper re-useable one for 50cents:crylaughing::crylaughing::spin:

Course they have - but not just them. It's typical UK mentality now to hide behind "green issues", data protection, health & safety etc. as an excuse for everything.

Iceland UK are still giving out free bags, so why not here? And if they were happy to give them away before, why not give the money to charity? And I'll eat my hat if they cost 5c each.

Chris P. Bacon
27-06-2011, 21:19
FFS what is so difficult about taking a few bags to the supermarket? ???

Tom & Sharon
27-06-2011, 21:23
FFS what is so difficult about taking a few bags to the supermarket? ???

Well I forgot mine again today!

Suej
27-06-2011, 21:26

Leave them in the car:)

Chris P. Bacon
27-06-2011, 21:28
It is just so simple. Unpack the shopping, leave them by the door for the next time you go to the car then leave them in the boot.....

caroletenerife
27-06-2011, 21:38
I doubt if many profit making organisations priorities includes the environment, profit is the name of the game, many have shareholders to satisfy and at the end of the day if they are not profitable they cease to exist. I think enviromental policies are in place to make the company appear ethical and green, if PR like that works and enhances their profts, great. But I dont think being 'green' will ever get in the way of making money.

tmfkahs
27-06-2011, 21:44

And here was me thinking that, as you have posted so many times on here, you hate, despise and ridicule Iceland (overseas SL) and those that work in there, and their bags, vegetables, staff abilities etc. that I understood there is NO way that you would go in there. My God I don't know how you have the affront to criticise as you do, and you still patronise the shop? FGS come back TOM then Sharon won't have to come on here constantly complaining about life in Tenerife.

On another thread, the plea was T&S please don't go......... I would add, TO ICELAND, then you won't have to complain.

And from your many contributions on this Forum, I have begun to wonder Sharon, Can you give us the details of 10 things you like about living in Tenerife?

Chris P. Bacon
27-06-2011, 21:49
I doubt if many profit making organisations priorities includes the environment, profit is the name of the game, many have shareholders to satisfy and at the end of the day if they are not profitable they cease to exist. I think enviromental policies are in place to make the company appear ethical and green, if PR like that works and enhances their profts, great. But I dont think being 'green' will ever get in the way of making money.

This could possibly be true, but why would you want to waste plastic bags anyway? especialy play a part in those that kill turtles and other sea life ???

Suej
27-06-2011, 22:00
This could possibly be true, but why would you want to waste plastic bags anyway? especialy play a part in those that kill turtles and other sea life ???

I have to agree with this a friend of ours was diving off Del duque beach, all he could see down there were loads of platic bags, embedded plastic bottles and a few of the nasty things you once saw on a terrace below your apartment Crispy!:spit:

Tojack
Charge 1 euro per bag see who forgets them then.

Tony once went in a bikers pub in Sheffield called Wop n tec.1 pound deposit on glass or bottle to cover breakages.

caroletenerife

My point was they happily use the environmental issue like helping turtles, whales or any other furry woodland creature as long as its advantageous to them. The case of carrier bags specifically is a no brainer as far as im concerned, reuse the ones you have, buy cotton or recycled bags, boxes whatever. If you choose not to then pay your 5cent. Either way Iceland and others are trying to encourage us all to recycle, if we dont ...we pay.

Tom & Sharon
27-06-2011, 22:10
And here was me thinking that, as you have posted so many times on here, you hate, despise and ridicule Iceland (overseas SL) and those that work in there, and their bags, vegetables, staff abilities etc. that I understood there is NO way that you would go in there. My God I don't know how you have the affront to criticise as you do, and you still patronise the shop? FGS come back TOM then Sharon won't have to come on here constantly complaining about life in Tenerife.

On another thread, the plea was T&S please don't go......... I would add, TO ICELAND, then you won't have to complain.

And from your many contributions on this Forum, I have begun to wonder Sharon, Can you give us the details of 10 things you like about living in Tenerife?

Who rattled your cage? I love living in Tenerife. The main reason being that I get away from the political clap-trap in the UK. Carrier bags have been a sore point with me for years, since they started asking "do you need any bags today?" when I am standing there with an overflowing trolley. I thought I had escaped all that garbage, but it seems to be catching on here too.

As for Iceland, yes I do think it's an awful shop, but it's the only place I can buy the things I want, so I have to go. If there was a Tesco down the road, I would never step foot in the place, but there isn't. Also, the majority of the shop floor staff are absolutely lovely, and I have never said anything else.

The fruit and veg however is definitely another matter, but we are talking about carrier bags aren't we?

caroletenerife
27-06-2011, 22:18
I love Iceland, i wish i lived next door to the cake aisle

Medman
27-06-2011, 23:19
Iceland too cold for me and can't pronounce the capital. Tenerife is so much better .......... :D

hedgehog
27-06-2011, 23:31
I was looking for my Mum the other day, couldn't find her anywhere, turns out she'd gone to Iceland...she took her own bags

with cheese
27-06-2011, 23:31
How sad, I can;t believe someone has worried about charging for carrier bags for years, and also never remembers them, time for the nursing home perhaps.

Greg
28-06-2011, 00:10
I can't believe anyone cares about a few cents for a bag. It is such an inconsequential amount. Each of you have probably used more in electricity replying to this post than the price of a bag. I always use my plastic bags as rubbish bags, that way they get used twice and when they get flushed out to sea they can be of use to local marine life. :whistle: :bricks:

Andy0210
28-06-2011, 00:26
You'll be chased off the board quicker than you can say " how much for a bag??? "

Tut tut this is a family forum! ;)

jmcd
28-06-2011, 00:44
Iceland too cold for me and can't pronounce the capital. Tenerife is so much better .......... :D

The Capital of Iceland is pronounced......... ' I'

And sounds like .... 'eye'

Does that help?? lol :eyebrows:

with cheese
28-06-2011, 06:58
Did we ever moan years ago about paying a deposit on a bottle, no. 5c on a carrier bag to make sure you keep using it. Wonder what whingers thread will start today..........................hmmm

Jackie
28-06-2011, 07:47
I have used my own bags for years, even in the UK before moving here. I only do a shop once a month so it is easier to have four really large bags than 40 odd carrier bags to take indoors. I only really use Mercadona and on the odd occasion Iceland. In Mercadona I put my empty bags into another trolley and pack as the items are scanned and in Iceland the staff will still pack your own bags for you if you give it to her, so no need for everything to pile up before packing.

MummyJ
28-06-2011, 08:44
i have found even the smaller shops sometimes charge too but its not a big deal really

Rikkig
28-06-2011, 09:07

Nothing, but whats wrong with a business offering a free service that makes use of a waste product ?

asox39
28-06-2011, 10:08
Did we ever moan years ago about paying a deposit on a bottle, no. 5c on a carrier bag to make sure you keep using it. Wonder what whingers thread will start today..........................hmmm

You probably didn't you were to busy nicking the bottles to get deposit back

irishmusico
28-06-2011, 10:26
5 Cent bags!Just when you think things cannot get any weirder.5 Cent bags!Unbelievable!I'll bet it is a well orchestrated conspiracy by Iceland to get all the 5 Cent coins that are sitting in a jar in my apartment.I am going down to protest,dressed up in Iceland bags. :crylaughing: :crylaughing: :crylaughing:

Kande
28-06-2011, 14:40
Bout a year ago I bought a strong plastic bag for 20cents as well the cloth bag in Iceland (Tenerife). I was told by one of the girls working there that I could bring back the plastic bag when broken and get another to replace it for free. When the handle broke soon afterwards, I brought it back for replacement but nobody seemed to know anything about replacing it and I havent seen these bags since then. I guess this scheme never took off like in the UK...(probably cos no money in it!)

I remember, approx. 8 yrs ago in England, I use to buy a strong plastic bag for 10p in the supermarkets and could get it replaced when tatty for free. Great idea. Not sure if they do it now.

Tenerife Blade
28-06-2011, 21:56
Charge 1 euro per bag see who forgets them then.

Tony once went in a bikers pub in Sheffield called Wop n tec.1 pound deposit on glass or bottle to cover breakages.

He was lucky. Whenever i frequented the 'Wap' it was plastic vessels or go without. Good place for table football though.

I know, i know.... Off topic!!!

with cheese
28-06-2011, 22:00
Don't need bags, I AM A SHOP LIFTER

mykie247
13-11-2011, 11:48
Hello. Does anybody know if Iceland still give there empty cardboard boxes away? I am moving house and need loads.

thanks