PDA

View Full Version : Utilities got an electric shock

willowlily
25-04-2018, 14:52
can anyone give me a little info on the safety of the electrics in a rented flat. in the uk we have very stringent rules for landlords regarding electrics and wiring is it the same in tenerife,
my washing machine is in the bathroom which is fine but it is connected under the basin cupboard by an extension lead which i have to plug into the wall by the sink when using it. today i went through the usual process plugged it in a huge bang blowing the fuse box for the whole flat ( which i reset after an hour ) but i received an electric shock which did unnerve me.
i have attempted to contact the managing agent but am afraid to stay in this flat.

willowlily
26-04-2018, 14:19
Must be somebody on this forum that has knowledge of electrical standards in tenerife

imablue
26-04-2018, 14:53
Try a PM TO 9PLUS he was the resident bright Spark on this forum a while back.
Good Luck

junglejim
26-04-2018, 15:08
If the management/ owner do not contact you , get an electrician in to repair- resite plug - send copy of bill to agent and withhold from your rent .

delderek
26-04-2018, 15:33
but it is connected under the basin cupboard by an extension lead which i have to plug into the wall

Basically that says it all.

With regards to standards, not sure how tough they are. But If a leccy put a power point in a bathroom in the UK, he would probably get 20 years in prison.:cry:

DJ Dangerous
28-06-2018, 20:04
A bit late replying...

Current rules state that a powerpoint - ie a socket, a switch, a fan, an extractor etc, must not be installed within something like a 1 metre radius of a water source.

9PLUS can probably confirm.

Regarding a solution, if you bring in a builder, electrician or whatever without the owners consent, you'll probably get into more trouble than it's worth.

Better off buying an extension lead and plugging the washing machine in somewhere else.