PDA

View Full Version : Surfers Bar, Compostella Beach

gary d
27-06-2011, 14:44
hi does anybody have any contact details for the surfers bar many thx

marbro8
22-10-2014, 09:41
Went here last night,we always try to get a visit in while over here just to see Martin who used to work at the rovers return,the very first bar we ever tried all those years ago on our first visit to tenerife,although it will never get a Michelin star what you do get is good old fashioned pub grub and plenty of it, and it doesn't lack quality either,all the soups are made from scratch and the chicken soup can only be described as more of a pate than a soup such was the concentration of chicken in it:yum:,and the the pie that my wife had must have had at least a pound of melt in the mouth steak in it,and my hand battered cod was about a foot long:laugh:,now this is where I went on a guilt trip, 6 of our party wanted the lamb,and we're ready to order at about 7.00pm,but I wasn't ready so asked the waitress to come back later so that we could have a couple of pints first,in the meantime a family of 6 turned up and all ordered lamb shank,so there was none left for us,I mean really what are the odds of that:(,luckily the roast chicken that had been marinated in garlic and rosemary they did have was fantastic so I averted being ostracised for the rest of the night:laugh:,all in all great food and great value and service with a smile and a few selfies with the staff

trevorife2
22-10-2014, 10:05
Great breakfast too !

marbro8
22-10-2014, 10:13
Great breakfast too !allright trev we got to see vagabond last night at last:laugh:

trevorife2
22-10-2014, 11:45
What do you reckon ?? We went to the miridor strip.. Albeit @ 11am after veiwing a place at castle harbour..

marbro8
22-10-2014, 12:14
What do you reckon ?? We went to the miridor strip.. Albeit @ 11am after veiwing a place at castle harbour..we have seen them before but it has been many years but still as good

malagabob
22-10-2014, 17:50
Are the Vagabonds still playing at The Bull

Medman
22-10-2014, 19:03
Are the Vagabonds still playing at The Bull

Yes, still there. Unfortunately the two new members have an overall negative affect on the band. Both totally lacking charisma and stage presence. So now there are four cardboard cut outs on the stage. The sound isn't as good either without Chris and Nasco.

Pub still busy, good service and prices bringing the punters in. Don't get me wrong the band is not bad but just not as good as before. IMO.

Back on topic, I had wee afternoon session with an old pal at Surfers and it was a really good pint of Carling. Well they were all good actually ... :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::c heers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Anne 2009
22-10-2014, 19:06
Cheap and cheerfull food and lots of it. We call in everytime were over. Its worth it just for the entertainment from martin. Is there any signs of the rovers next door opening yet?

Medman
22-10-2014, 19:26
Cheap and cheerfull food and lots of it. We call in everytime were over. Its worth it just for the entertainment from martin. Is there any signs of the rovers next door opening yet?

I was there last month and spoke to Martin. No sign of it re-opening.

trevorife2
22-10-2014, 19:37
Very nice carling at surfers.. Also ref the vagabonds and the new band members, i found them ok and still enjoyed their music

Medman
24-10-2014, 10:27
Very nice carling at surfers.. Also ref the vagabonds and the new band members, i found them ok and still enjoyed their music

As you say they are ok, but the singer is more interested in drinking than connecting with the crowd. Shame really as the two original members are rock steady musicians. Would go back but not as regular as before.

On topic - I agree excellent pints of Carling

marbro8
24-10-2014, 11:35
Cheap and cheerfull food and lots of it. We call in everytime were over. Its worth it just for the entertainment from martin. Is there any signs of the rovers next door opening yet?I have heard that the new owner would have to pay all the back rent from the previous owner,which I think is unfair,and there are no disabled toilets which would cost a lot of money to do,and when the previous staff left they took everything with them that was or was not screwed down,to try and get recompense for non payment of wages,the owner of rovers I think owner all the bars down that side of compostela so is not exactly poor,and by all accounts he is quite happy to stick by his guns and hold out for what he wants:(

Anne 2009
24-10-2014, 18:27
I have heard that the new owner would have to pay all the back rent from the previous owner,which I think is unfair,and there are no disabled toilets which would cost a lot of money to do,and when the previous staff left they took everything with them that was or was not screwed down,to try and get recompense for non payment of wages,the owner of rovers I think owner all the bars down that side of compostela so is not exactly poor,and by all accounts he is quite happy to stick by his guns and hold out for what he wants:(
Don't they belong to the compostella?

marbro8
20-05-2015, 18:10
We went to surfers today to get some lunch and have a chat with Martin. But we're told that he had left to work at the palms bar in selencio? Anyway I had a lovely cheese and Branston pickle toastie,we had to queue for a table but it was worth it. My wife had the corned beef toastie, rest of the party had eggs chips and beans with bread and butter, 2 breakfasts 4 pints 4 soft drinks and the bill came to €33, great service nice food:spin:

Bazz
19-10-2015, 17:14
Have been here a few times and always thought it was OK for a snack/toastie etc. Went last month and ordered chicken curry. The curry sauce was good but it definitely wasn't chicken. Looked like the texture of beef and was dark meat. Never again ...........
Goat anyone?
Horse?
:confused:

marbro8
19-10-2015, 18:45
Have been here a few times and always thought it was OK for a snack/toastie etc. Went last month and ordered chicken curry. The curry sauce was good but it definitely wasn't chicken. Looked like the texture of beef and was dark meat. Never again ...........
Goat anyone?
Horse?
:confused:we went last week. and my wife and sister in law ordered the steak pie. i am not kidding when i say it was about 4 inches high. and about 6 inches wide. there was at least a 1lb of tender steak in it. and has got to be one of the best i have tried. in fact i left my steak wrap to help her to eat it:laugh:. we also recommended it to a very fussy veggie friend. and he ordered the giant cod. he did manage to eat it but couldn't eat the chips and peas. and was told by the waitress that he had done more than many others.he couldn't eat anything else for the next 24 hours:laugh:. it is what it is. pile it high sell it cheap. i try to order something light. but the wrap is probably the only thing other than the salads. and they are huge. even the fish goujons are like ingots:laugh:. if you have a massive appetite then try it. but if you haven't then stick to friends next door. where they concentrate on quality over quantity:wink:

trevorife2
19-10-2015, 20:05
I saw a pic of that steak pie on trip advisor,, im flying tommorow so will be trying that during the next 10 days

marbro8
19-10-2015, 20:41
I saw a pic of that steak pie on trip advisor,, im flying tommorow so will be trying that during the next 10 daystrust me mate it's lovely. and to top it all the gravy they put on it was the same taste as my gran's. just a bit of a tangent here. but my gran used to make her gravy by using the roast meat juices combined with the potato water flour and an oxo cube. and i would make any excuse to go round to taste it. i remember my mom serving the sunday dinner once. and before she put the gravy on i stopped her. and said "NO" just give me the dinner i am off round to grans for the gravy:crylaughing:. needless to say it didn't go down well. and for quite a few months we ended up round gran's for sunday lunch because mom wouldn't cook:laugh: