PDA

View Full Version : Relocation 3 Month Let

Stergio1
06-05-2018, 20:02
Hi, we are thinking about a move to Spain & have chosen Tenerife because of the weather during winter months. We are assuming it'll be warmer than mainland Spain. We are both in our 60s. We want to try a long term let first. We will visit over the next few months hopefully try to arrange a 3 month stay - Jan, Feb, March next year. We enjoy golf, meals out, odd bottle of beer & wine but not lively holiday areas. Any advice and or suggestions of location would be greatfully received.

We are new to the forum. Thanks folks.

AndyG
06-05-2018, 21:10
Welcome! The winter months are the most popular so I think you will find it difficult to arrange a 3 month let. I think most agents would not be interested in helping you until much nearer to the date, by which time most of the properties will have been let probably. When we moved over (permanently) we had to start paying a 6 month lease in mid September even though we were not flying out until early November but we are still in the same apartment more than 2 1/2 years later so it was worth it in the end! The less expensive rental properties seem to be more inland but we find that the weather is generally more settled right on the coast. Try Playa San Juan : it's a lovely fishing village with plenty of cafes, bars , supermarkets and restaurants but it has no hotels so although there are daytrippers most days, it is still a quiet place to live. Good luck with your plans!

Stergio1
06-05-2018, 21:48
Thank you Andy, we have been going to Thailand for 3 months for the past 6 years but would never contemplate a permanent move. We'll fly over in the next few weeks + check out a few agents & Playa San Juan.

ronniecee
07-05-2018, 14:06
Hello, I have to agree with AndyG, the winter months are really difficult to get a 3 month contract, it would surprise you how many people ( Brits and Germans ) want to do the same as you. Most agents certainly would not be interested in renting out for such a short period of time, but there have been a couple of posts on here that have offered such short term lets so keep your eyes peeled. We moved over here in October 2017 but had rented from April 2016 ( on a one year contract ) this was so that we had somewhere to stay during our vacation time since we were still both working. We then had time to look around the island for a place to buy. Unfortunatly for us, as nice as we thought the rented house was when we viewed it, it turned out to be a horror story. By the middle of December 2017, it turned really cold and there was only an old gas heating system installed, the heaters hardly threw out any heat and so we bought four electric heaters. The following three months didnt get any warmer and so we had to have the heaters on almost constantly throughout. By January this year we found a house to buy that was within our price range and had a few renovations carried out on it, we moved into it about six weeks ago and couldnt be happier. You should also be aware of other posts on here regarding the thin walls!! In many apartments and houses here on the island the walls are really thin ( one air brick ) and therefore you either have to get used to listening to the neighbours or rent a Finca. I wish you luck and all the best.

Stergio1
08-05-2018, 20:33
Thank you Ronniecee. I'm pleased it has worked out for you. It seems we'll have quite a task to find somewhere. We are coming over soon so we'll try our best & if not we might have to go back to Thailand. Where are you on the island where it was so cold? Sounds like that is somewhere to avoid. Good tip about thin walls - cheers!

Megaloo
09-05-2018, 11:19
It is the same here in the North of the Island very difficult to get less than 6 months rental

ronniecee
09-05-2018, 22:17
Hi there Stergio1, we found what we thought was our dream rental property in Santa Ursula ( about five minutes further up the hill from the well known shopping area ) lots of restaurants nearby and the views from the garden were ( are ) amazing, I could see us sitting on that beautiful terrace looking over the La Oratava valley right down into Puerto de la Cruz. Our dream quickly turned to something more like a nightmare when late in December the weather turned cold and we realised that we should start heating the place. The " heating" and hot water was provided by two large gas bottles stored away at the bottom of the garden, after about two hours the small heaters situated in all the rooms never really become more than luke warm and so we went out and bought four electric heaters. Thankfully February arrived and we decided that we would leave the property earlier ( around the middle of March ) we had found a house at a reasonable price in La Guancha which is about seven years old but was rented out to numerous people from the original owners and not looked after so we found a handyman and he set about doing our renovations. Another tip for you, you need to visit the place you choose a number of times at different times of the day and evening before signing anything. I hope it works out for you, there are some beautiful corners on the island and if you give it a chance, I'm sure you'll find something you like. If you have grandchildren for example I personally would think that Thailand is a bit too far away should you need to arrange a quick visit back for any emergency. So bear that in mind too. Take care and all the best.

orodonnelly
09-05-2018, 23:53
Hi, we are thinking about a move to Spain & have chosen Tenerife because of the weather during winter months. We are assuming it'll be warmer than mainland Spain. We are both in our 60s. We want to try a long term let first. We will visit over the next few months hopefully try to arrange a 3 month stay - Jan, Feb, March next year. We enjoy golf, meals out, odd bottle of beer & wine but not lively holiday areas. Any advice and or suggestions of location would be greatfully received.

We are new to the forum. Thanks folks.Hello,

Having just returned from Tenerife on the hunt for ourselves, and based on your wants, try Golf del Sur / San Blas area for golf etc.
If you want something a little more traditional, then move further north.
San Blas has been receiving a lot of expansion, so there is lots of property in the area.
Good luck with you search

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Mo22
13-05-2018, 17:36
I’m in Granada province and was thinking of going to Tenerife for 3 winter months as was so cold here. Didn’t think it would be as cold in Tenerife. You’ve made me rethink I somehow thought jan to March would be warm in Tenerife.

delderek
13-05-2018, 18:25
The north and the South of the island. Have very different temps in the winter. You can still sunbathe in the southern coastal strip in the depths of winter.

Mo22
13-05-2018, 21:38
The north and the South of the island. Have very different temps in the winter. You can still sunbathe in the southern coastal strip in the depths of winter.

Thanks, Good to know. Spent odd week in south winter time and was usually nice. Only visited north for a day. Seems like couple months let hard to come by winter months though.