PDA

View Full Version : Help for my Hibiscus

Suej
27-06-2011, 17:44
Sorry for the boring thread and I´d be surprised if I got any replies but I just thought I´d ask here in case someone had a remedy!

I see Hibiscus plants all over the Island that look healthy and beautiful, my poor (mature) plant is getting eaten alive by Caterpillars! I need a natural remedy as I have a cat, so won´t use chemicals or anything toxic. Anyone got any suggestions please?:cry:

poker
27-06-2011, 18:36
Water with some washingup liquide in a spray bottle .
Or early in the morning just pick the gusanes (caterpilars) of by hand .

Sent using Tapatalk.

Suej
27-06-2011, 18:40

Sent using Tapatalk.

Thanks Poker, but I thought that treatment was for black fly?

caroletenerife
27-06-2011, 18:59
I used washing up liquid is Scotland for all beastie, it cleared up most of them including snails x

Suej
27-06-2011, 19:00
Thanks! I´ll give it a try tonight!:flower::flower::flower:

poker
27-06-2011, 20:54
You can ad some disenfecting alcohol to be sure they die but it could damage the plant also if you use to mutch.
Google to find a good recepie for caterpillars.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Suej
27-06-2011, 20:59
You can ad some disenfecting alcohol to be sure they die but it could damage the plant also if you use to mutch.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Thanks again Poker, I have just tried the soapy water method so will see how that goes. It´s such a shame but at least the beasties don´t eat the flowers.:flower:

poker
27-06-2011, 21:40
You have to seartch abit depending on the pest .

For the moment I have exelent results with a bit of pantene pro v purificante against wite fly on tomatoes.
Before i could not get rid of them even with pesticides witch i also dont like to use.

Sent using Tapatalk.

tmfkahs
27-06-2011, 21:51
Cut it right back, like Roses, every March (in my experience up here at 900 metres). It stimulates growth and flowerbuds and clears off any bugs etc. New growth is stronger and more resilient.

AL JAY
27-06-2011, 23:55

Sent using Tapatalk.

Sue will drink that herself, She was last seen staggering past the Treehouse singing "Fly me to the moon" :D:drinking::drinking:

Suej
28-06-2011, 10:21
Sue will drink that herself, She was last seen staggering past the Treehouse singing "Fly me to the moon" :D:drinking::drinking:

Oi you!:crylaughing:

Added after 1 15 minutes:

Sent using Tapatalk.
I am going to persevere with the soapy water, How often should I spray please?

Chicken Shirl
28-06-2011, 14:12
I would say once a week and see how they go..........make sure the soil is healthy and get lots of seaweed feed onto the foliage weekly........This will help to keep the bugs way.............They don't like healthy plants. I totally agree with the cutting back in March. Good luck with the buggies.

canarybird
28-06-2011, 18:16
When using a soap spray, be sure that that you spray on a day when there's no sun. The sun will burn the leaves when they have a coating of soap.

Rinse off the soap a day or two later with a hose to clean the leaves, as the soap has only an immediate contact effect on creatures at the time you spray it on them.

Once the soap has dried and killed off the insects, you can wash off the leaves.

Canarybird

kenbo1000
28-06-2011, 19:36
If you have Lizards then just pick them off and throw them down for them, they are quite partial to a free meal. We are lucky we get lots of blue tits in our garden and they feast on all bugs. I agree with the others washing up water or use a powerful jet of water and knock them off for the bird and Lizzies.

warbey
28-06-2011, 19:41
Sue. dont forget most \Pests are UNDER the Leaves, so spray under and uipwards too.
As Canarybird says, water drops act as small lenses concentrating the Sun's Rays.
I prefer spraying of an Evening Myself as Ive usually got up by then.....!!!!!