PDA

View Full Version : Some of my number keys don't work

jmcd
28-06-2011, 08:58
Some of the number keys on my laptop dont work. Is there an easy solution to this?

I dont know why they dont work, as I bought the laptop second hand and this was already a problem.

I use an on-screan keyboard at the moment, but it can be a little frustrating to say the least.

Could it just be a matter of taking the keys off and cleaning underneath, if so how do I take the keys off?

Or could it be something more technical?

My laptop is a DELL INSPIRON 1300

these are the keys that work 125890...so it's just the 3467 that dont

Thanks in advance

Vortex Wake
28-06-2011, 09:13
I'd start with giving the underside if each key a good stiff brush - tip the laptop upside down whilst.doing this.

A gentle hoover may help.

Taking keys off may help but can cause more issues when trying to refit .

Replacement keyboards for popular makes can be purchased. External keyboards can also be used.

Malteser Monkey
28-06-2011, 09:17
someone recently suggested pressing the shift key on the left hand side of the keypad 5 times but I can't remember what that was to clear - try it ?!

jmcd
28-06-2011, 09:19
I'd start with giving the underside if each key a good stiff brush - tip the laptop upside down whilst.doing this.

A gentle hoover may help.

Taking keys off may help but can cause more issues when trying to refit .

Replacement keyboards for popular makes can be purchased. External keyboards can also be used.

Thank you, I will try this

junglejim
28-06-2011, 09:20
Could be previous owner spilled something on keyboard - happened to me - a pain in the ...... check Youtube for changing keyboard

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=replace+dell+laptop+keyboard&aq=f

atlantico
28-06-2011, 10:12
hitting the 'shift' key 5 times turns on/off 'sticky keys', and I doubt that'll help

jmcd
28-06-2011, 10:16
Could be previous owner spilled something on keyboard - happened to me - a pain in the ...... check Youtube for changing keyboard

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=replace+dell+laptop+keyboard&aq=f

This was very helpful

I went to the link and found out how to clean the keyboard. I tried cleaning it but that didnt work so I watch how to replace the keyboard. I am going to buy one on ebay and install it myself. I will let you know how it goes!!!

Thanks everyone

P.S. Dont stop with your suggestions in the meantime, please

Suej
28-06-2011, 10:18
Some of the number keys on my laptop dont work. Is there an easy solution to this?

I dont know why they dont work, as I bought the laptop second hand and this was already a problem.

I use an on-screan keyboard at the moment, but it can be a little frustrating to say the least.

Could it just be a matter of taking the keys off and cleaning underneath, if so how do I take the keys off?

Thanks in advance

Someone else might be able to advise on removing the keys, but my friend done that and made matters worse:(

delderek
28-06-2011, 11:58
Normally keyboards are just a "click fit" and can be prised off carefully, then clean the contact board with a cotton bud soaked in meths or proper contact cleaner, don't over wet it.

moonlighter
28-06-2011, 12:13
One of my friends took all his keys off once to give his keyboard a good clean. What he didn't find out though was whilst he left the room one of his kids thought it funny to jumble all the letters about so they were all put back in the wrong place. Oddly enough he didn't see the funny side of it. :lol:

junglejim
28-06-2011, 12:57
One of my friends took all his keys off once to give his keyboard a good clean. What he didn't find out though was whilst he left the room one of his kids thought it funny to jumble all the letters about so they were all put back in the wrong place. Oddly enough he didn't see the funny side of it. :lol:

That happened in Whitehouse when George W Bush became president the outgoing Democrat staff removed all the "W´s" from keyboards on computers as he liked to be known as "W" !!

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/archive/index.php/t-15217.html

jmcd
28-06-2011, 13:01
Normally keyboards are just a "click fit" and can be prised off carefully, then clean the contact board with a cotton bud soaked in meths or proper contact cleaner, don't over wet it.

What does the contact board look like please?

junglejim
28-06-2011, 13:35
The contact board will be below the keyboard buttons with a membrane between them - be careful you do not damage circuitry when cleaning.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1300/en/sm/index.htm

Jackie
28-06-2011, 23:17

Thanks in advance

Has the jam been dripping off your toast onto them? ;)

You can get air in a can which you can spray and it blasts any bits of dirt out that you cant get out with normal cleaning.

Balcony
01-07-2011, 18:05
If you can find it I found in the past that a spray cleaner like Foamclene sprayed liberally over the keyboard and left for a minute can un-goo quite a lot. Then clean off the foam with a barely damp cloth, after which run a cotton bud down the gaps before giving a final wipe.

Yorkshire Remixer
28-07-2011, 16:57
common for failure of control board where some keys in a line or an arrangement stop working... no amount of cleaning will fix the fault... do as u mentioned and buy a whole new keyboard; then sell your old one as faulty on ebay to regain some costs back...

Goforgold
28-07-2011, 17:47
Someone else might be able to advise on removing the keys, but my friend done that and made matters worse:(

You talking about me Suej!!! :) :) If so, I won't bother to put my post on!! :) :)

Just going to have a read of the link above re: cleaning and see if I can get some tips on putting right what went wrong when I did clean it!!! (;)

captain jack sparrow
28-07-2011, 18:33
If the key's wont work with a reasonable amount of force its most likely that its a keyboard fault, I've had it happen to the same laptop twice last year, First time, The laptop was replaced under warranty, second time it was replaced for a different model, You can also get the keyboard replaced or plug in a remote keyboard via a usb which maybe the cheaper option..

jmcd
28-07-2011, 19:28
Thank you all for trying to help me.

I am using an onscreen keyboard at present and have found a replacement keyboard on ebay.

I am going to replace the keyboard as cleaning didn't solve the problem.

I really appreciate all your advice, thank you