PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Thought of Living in the South of Tenerife? view from the north ??

bonitatime
28-06-2011, 15:49
Have You Ever Thought of Living in the South of Tenerife?
http://tenerifevirgins.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/have-you-ever-thought-of-living-in-the-south-of-tenerife/

The question always takes us by surprise even though we’ve been asked it on a number of occasions during the years we’ve lived on Tenerife – not ever by Canarios I hasten to add.

“Have You ever thought of living in the South of Tenerife?”

Funnily enough instead of just giving a straight answer, we normally justify why we chose to live in the north of Tenerife. We describe how we hired a car and travelled around Tenerife staying in various towns and resorts (and discarding them as places we’d want to live) before arriving in Puerto de la Cruz and deciding on the spot – más o menos – that this was the place for us.

Why we feel we have to come out with this tale every time I really don’t know. And I don’t know why we just don’t give the single word answer that really wants to escape my mouth and that is a simple, succinct no.

Maybe it’s because I’ve always thought that answer might come across as sounding rude, especially as the people who ask the question invariably live or holiday in the south of Tenerife.
But recently I started to look at it from a different angle. Why do people ask the question in the first place? As far as I can remember we’ve never asked anyone who lives in the south of Tenerife if they’d ever considered living in the north, so why do people keep asking us?

The north and the south of Tenerife, and I know this is a generalisation, are different. I’m not referring to the weather, although that is undeniably a factor, but historically they have always been different, in the looks department they are different and in personality they are different.

We all have various likes, dislikes and preferences and I prefer the north of Tenerife to the south. And if anyone thinks that might be an insult – don’t be silly; of course I do, that’s why I choose to live here.
I’ve always assumed that most people who live in the south do so because it ticks all the right boxes for them; just as I live here because it ticks all the right boxes for me. Therefore it wouldn’t cross my mind to ask the question. But when people hear we live in the north, the reaction is often similar to the reaction I use to get when I told people I didn’t eat meat (past tense BTW).

“Have You ever thought of living in the South of Tenerife?”

To me it feels as though there’s a bit missing from the end of that question. If you follow it to its logical conclusion there is an inference in a question like that. Which is why in future the answer will be a much simpler and significantly shorter one.

I really like the north - that is past La Laguna but wouldn't consider living there. It is not for me. I would certainly fancy santa Cruz and if La Laguna wasn't so cold in the winter maybe there too. What are other peoples opinions and why?

Brian
28-06-2011, 21:56
25 years of holidays spent here prior to moving here last year, no, we never thought of living in the South of Tenerife

anegib
29-06-2011, 10:59
Personally I prefer living half way up a mountain with Tenerife people as my neighbours.

bonitatime
29-06-2011, 11:54
But Anegib is that North of Teide or south of it?

Suej
29-06-2011, 12:15
Have You Ever Thought of Living in the South of Tenerife?
http://tenerifevirgins.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/have-you-ever-thought-of-living-in-the-south-of-tenerife/

I really like the north - that is past La Laguna but wouldn't consider living there. It is not for me. I would certainly fancy santa Cruz and if La Laguna wasn't so cold in the winter maybe there too. What are other peoples opinions and why?

We were in Santa Cruz yesterday afternoon left there about 7pm and it was decidedly chilly and very breezy! got back home to Chayofa and I would say it quite a bit warmer by a good few degrees.:)

Pooh
29-06-2011, 12:27
We did consider the south a few years ago, when we first started looking at Tenerife as an option where to move. But now, when we finally moved here after initially choosing another country entirely, the south wasn't at all an option. For us, the north ticks all the right boxes... Better weather, (yes, it is!), more beautiful, cheaper, less tourists, less lookie-lookies, less PR's, the list goes on... :D

anegib
29-06-2011, 12:33
I am classed as the south but am 45 minutes up the road towards Santa Cruz where nobody speaks English.

Suej
29-06-2011, 12:37
We did consider the south a few years ago, when we first started looking at Tenerife as an option where to move. But now, when we finally moved here after initially choosing another country entirely, the south wasn't at all an option. For us, the north ticks all the right boxes... Better weather, (yes, it is!), more beautiful, cheaper, less tourists, less lookie-lookies, less PR's, the list goes on... :D

I am very happy in the South but I do love the North I have to agree Pooh the North is quite something else as regards scenery!:cool:

Sylla
29-06-2011, 17:33
IF I were to live in Tenerife , it would be the north , possibly Puerto de la Cruz , but there is no chance , as OH has to be in the UK for health reasons ,check ups ...a long stay is a possabilty ...but always glad to get back home with all it's warts and all !

I do like ALL the Island and I like the visits we have in the south and west , but something is missing , that Puerto has ... and Puerto was my first visit abroad when I was very young , so may be that has something to do with it ! ? :crazy:

Zara
30-06-2011, 08:25

But that is only true if you live in the resorts Pooh, if you are outside or up the mountain the south is just as 'traditional'. I know a number of people who have considered moving here and only looked at apartments in the tourist areas because they have never been anywhere else. Once you take them a few miles away they have a totally different idea of what the island is really like.

I think many in the north feel the weather is unjustly criticised, those of us living here realise it is usually a degree or two cooler but that is hardly a major problem, however it is greener - there has to be a reason for that and the locals call the cloud 'la panza del burro' :whistle: But to answer the question, I am happy where I am I have the best of both, tourist attractions close by when I want them, and the rest of the time far enough away to be in the real Tenerife.

TenerifePool
30-06-2011, 09:16
Where is "the south"?

Many people, when they think of "the south" think of a few kilometeres of coastline from the Arona Gran to Playa Fañabe, when in reality the south encompasses an area from Candelaria to Los Gigantes and up the mountain as far as Vilaflor.

Megaloo
30-06-2011, 09:22
I must admit I had never considered living in the South, maybe again because my very first visit to Tenerife in 1976 was to the North although I visited the South at that time and as everyone knows was nothing like then as it is today. Los Cristianos was just a fishing village. I also had friends already living in the North so that also helped me make my decision and I just love it.

Pooh
30-06-2011, 09:57
[/B]

But that is only true if you live in the resorts Pooh, if you are outside or up the mountain the south is just as 'traditional'. I know a number of people who have considered moving here and only looked at apartments in the tourist areas because they have never been anywhere else. Once you take them a few miles away they have a totally different idea of what the island is really like.

I think many in the north feel the weather is unjustly criticised, those of us living here realise it is usually a degree or two cooler but that is hardly a major problem, however it is greener - there has to be a reason for that and the locals call the cloud 'la panza del burro' :whistle: But to answer the question, I am happy where I am I have the best of both, tourist attractions close by when I want them, and the rest of the time far enough away to be in the real Tenerife.

Probably, (but it's more a feeling than a reasoning, so I'm not sure), our main reasons are the weather and that it's greener. We got enough of half-desert landscapes in Cyprus, and we like to have a number of cloudy days every month. I realize it's not as sunny in the south as it was in Cyprus, but there we got really tired of the sun, not seeing a cloud for months on end. :eek:
We did check out most of the southern side too, but no place there really was an option.

bonitatime
30-06-2011, 10:05
Probably, (but it's more a feeling than a reasoning, so I'm not sure), our main reasons are the weather and that it's greener. We got enough of half-desert landscapes in Cyprus, and we like to have a number of cloudy days every month. I realize it's not as sunny in the south as it was in Cyprus, but there we got really tired of the sun, not seeing a cloud for months on end. :eek:
We did check out most of the southern side too, but no place there really was an option.

Are you sure it is not as sunny in the south as in Cyprus as they are considerably further north than us. What it is not is as hot or humid in the summer here but I presume that is a Mediterrean thing as the mainland tends to get hotter then here too.

KirstyJay
30-06-2011, 10:35
You'd be surprised how sunny Greece and Cyprus are!

I don't consider where I live to be the 'south' as Tenerifepool said earlier. I live in the West. I love it here. I love the villages. You can travel for 10 minutes and be in a different world in Tenerife. The resorts of Adeje and Arona as completely different than a couple of Km inland, El Medano and the golf are different animals, as are Granadilla, San Isidro, Los Menores, Tejina, La Escalona, Arona Town, the list goes on.

Each town and village has it's own identity. Tenerife has something for everyone, yet it's easy to visit the others when you want a change :)

Great topic, by the way. :)

Zara
30-06-2011, 11:13
While I realise that quoting the following is a bit like assuming all of Las Americas is Veronicas, it is reports like this that put me off living in the north, although I do enjoy visiting.

"09.30 hours - Thursday The fog at Tenerife North airport has led to two planes being diverted to Tenerife South airport, according Spanish Airports and Air Navigation (Aena).
There were also 10 flights diverted on Wednesday June 29."

Pooh
30-06-2011, 11:24
Are you sure it is not as sunny in the south as in Cyprus as they are considerably further north than us. What it is not is as hot or humid in the summer here but I presume that is a Mediterrean thing as the mainland tends to get hotter then here too.

I'm 100% sure it was more sun in Cyprus then even South Tenerife, not a cloud in sight for 6 months straight, but still to much in South Ten for my taste! :)
Actually, humidity-wise, I'm not sure... what's the usual readings down South? In Cyprus we usually stayed below 60%, and the hottest days in the summer it could be as low as 25%. But some places, like Limassol, had much higher humidity.
Up here in Northern Tenerife we usually are at 70% or higher, but of course it's much cooler than Cyprus. (Where we could have 2 months when the temp would never go below 30 even in the middle of the night, and close to, or over, 40 at daytime. Cost a fortune in power bills for the AirCon - €1400 for 2 months last summer! Still needed heating in the winter, and that could cost €2000 every winter.)
Here we don't need AirCon, and no heating either. Not sure if we would manage without AirCon in the south... possibly, but we don't like it too warm indoors.

Pooh
30-06-2011, 11:26
While I realise that quoting the following is a bit like assuming all of Las Americas is Veronicas, it is reports like this that put me off living in the north, although I do enjoy visiting.

"09.30 hours - Thursday The fog at Tenerife North airport has led to two planes being diverted to Tenerife South airport, according Spanish Airports and Air Navigation (Aena).
There were also 10 flights diverted on Wednesday June 29."

You do realize that the North Airport is very high up?
It's usually at least 5 degrees colder there than in Puerto, usually more, and it's up IN the cloud, not below.
The North airport is not in any way representative for the North in general - quite the opposite, really.
It's like comparing Vilaflor to Los Cris...

Zara
30-06-2011, 11:44
You do realize that the North Airport is very high up?
It's usually at least 5 degrees colder there than in Puerto, usually more, and it's up IN the cloud, not below.
The North airport is not in any way representative for the North in general - quite the opposite, really.
It's like comparing Vilaflor to Los Cris...

That is why I said what I did in my comment Pooh >>>While I realise that quoting the following is a bit like assuming all of Las Americas is Veronicas<<< but this is the location that is most often used by weather stations for the north of the island and is what a large number of people base their view of the weather in the north on.

Added after 2 minutes:

I would also suggest that living in Puerto is similar to living in say Los Cristianos, it is where the holiday makers are so you have a lot of the amenities they require. Having visited many northern small towns and villages they are a world apart from Puerto.

Pooh
30-06-2011, 11:59
I would also suggest that living in Puerto is similar to living in say Los Cristianos, it is where the holiday makers are so you have a lot of the amenities they require. Having visited many northern small towns and villages they are a world apart from Puerto.

We don't live in Puerto either, but 7-8 minutes away along the coast, having quick access to both Puerto and Santa Cruz, as well as La Orotava and surrounding villages.
Exactly where we'll ultimately end up is still undetermined, we have a year in a rental before we plan to buy something, and by then we hope to have found the right place... but that it'll be in the North is without question.

Suej
30-06-2011, 12:03
I'm 100% sure it was more sun in Cyprus then even South Tenerife, not a cloud in sight for 6 months straight, but still to much in South Ten for my taste! :)
Actually, humidity-wise, I'm not sure... what's the usual readings down South? In Cyprus we usually stayed below 60%, and the hottest days in the summer it could be as low as 25%. But some places, like Limassol, had much higher humidity.
Up here in Northern Tenerife we usually are at 70% or higher, but of course it's much cooler than Cyprus. (Where we could have 2 months when the temp would never go below 30 even in the middle of the night, and close to, or over, 40 at daytime. Cost a fortune in power bills for the AirCon - €1400 for 2 months last summer! Still needed heating in the winter, and that could cost €2000 every winter.)
Here we don't need AirCon, and no heating either. Not sure if we would manage without AirCon in the south... possibly, but we don't like it too warm indoors.

Personally speaking we don´t feel it´s necessary to have air con where we live, maybe a couple of weeks where it´s a heatwave or Calima, good ceiling fans are sufficient and even then only really needed in the high summer July/August.

Pooh
30-06-2011, 12:32
Personally speaking we don´t feel it´s necessary to have air con where we live, maybe a couple of weeks where it´s a heatwave or Calima, good ceiling fans are sufficient and even then only really needed in the high summer July/August.

That's why I wrote "Not sure", but I could probably manage without problem. Not sure about my wife, who thinks it's too cold when it's 23, and too hot when it's 28... :rolleyes:
But that's academic, since there are many other reasons why we like the North better.

Suej
30-06-2011, 12:48
I love it up there in the North Pooh...Just something about it;)

captain jack sparrow
05-07-2011, 19:15
Just out of interest, what was the main thing that made you choose what part of the island you live, was it the property its self, recommendation by someone or what ?

Secondly what was the biggest hurdle you had to deal with? learning the language, homesickness.

Just curious, ( question to you all )

babybadger
08-07-2011, 13:10
Personally I prefer living half way up a mountain with Tenerife people as my neighbours.

We live in San Andres and it has the best beach (playa de las terasitas) and is only 11km north of Santa Cruz, all of our neighbours are Tinerfeños, Chicharreros, Spanish and Venzuelans. Its chilled, surrounded by Mountains, and we wouldn't move South for anything. We like visiting the South and relaxing there, but home is definitely in the North.

Added after 7 minutes:

Just out of interest, what was the main thing that made you choose what part of the island you live, was it the property its self, recommendation by someone or what ?

Secondly what was the biggest hurdle you had to deal with? learning the language, homesickness.

We toured the Island the second day we got there and found Playa de Las Terasitas, we have never bothered looking for anywhere else to live. We considered Candelaria, but the beach and mountains sold us. We live in a Piso and it is enough for us, as most of the villagers live the same way. The South for us was nice, but the children would have been lazy learning Spanish, which was paramount to us. They are now after just one year at school as good at Spanish as some of their classmates. I think in the South it would have taken longer.

The language should not be an issue after a year, if you immerse yourself with only Spanish Neighbours. I have found if you don't speak any of the language, they will be less likely to help you out, some locals will bend over backwards as it will help their English. I have found the Canarian People to be extremely helpful, IF you speak in their language.

dixie4
15-07-2011, 06:04
I have always described Tenerife as an island of contrasts. The first time I visited Tenerife was before the making of the south airport. In those days, for the majority, Puerto de la Cruz was the destination for the Brits and Germans alike.
My introduction to Tenerife was in August, which was much less expensive than between September and March in those days. We had fine warm weather and I loved every minute of it. I have also had holidays in various other areas of the Island.

A couple of years ago I acquired an appartment in La Paz, Puerto de la Cruz.
I really love this area of Tenerife but sometimes the cloud cover and rain can become depressive particularly in wintertime.

Living here full time then the North would be my choice. In a car the south, the razamatazz and the sunshine is only about an hour away.

So have I ever considered moving to the south? the answer is yes I have thought about it and the conclusion was no I would not.

canarianchicken
19-08-2011, 14:57
I lived in the South for 10 years. I moved to the north because of work. Although my work is practically all now back in the south, I don't feel that I could live there again.

I live in La Orotava. What a beautiful place. I have made some wonderful friends here and I have the best of both worlds. The drive to work is only 1 hour, so although I wouldn't say never again, I can't see me in the South again!

Suej
19-08-2011, 15:15

Hi Cap´n Jack! I chose the South because it was all I was familiar with tbh, I just didn´t even give the North a thought when moving over, it was kind of the devil you know scenario! I think the North is much prettier than the south but I do know people who work there from the South and I am afraid they always report back that the weather is drier and not so humid here in the South. Having chosen the South I do like the village and the greenery where I live and it´s nice to have every convenience nearby so I´m happy!:D

dixie4
20-08-2011, 13:01
I have a question within the main question.

I know everyone is an individual but predominently when deciding to live in Tenerife do northern UK people migrate to North Tenerife and vice versa for the South? or is this just a myth?

The reason I ask this is that when in the south of Tenerife all I seem to hear are southern UK accents. I would like to know what other peoples findings are.

Suej
20-08-2011, 13:06
I have a question within the main question.

I know everyone is an individual but predominently when deciding to live in Tenerife do northern UK people migrate to North Tenerife and vice versa for the South? or is this just a myth?

The reason I ask this is that when in the south of Tenerife all I seem to hear are southern UK accents. I would like to know what other peoples findings are.

In my opinion that is deffo myth...far more peeps from Northern UK on the Island North or South! only a small minority are from the South (UK):)

Goforgold
20-08-2011, 16:09
In my opinion that is deffo myth...far more peeps from Northern UK on the Island North or South! only a small minority are from the South (UK):)

It's because only people from the South can afford to retire to Tenerife ;) They've got all the money!!! :)

realejos
08-10-2011, 14:40
I live in Toscal (Los Realejos) and yes, I have thought of moving to the South of Tenerife. Why? Just because in winter (January, February, March) it´s really cold and windy here. Clouds almost the whole year round. But it depends where you live. In some areas of Puerto de la Cruz is much warmer in winter; some parts of the North (La Matanza, Tacoronte etc) are more sunny.

In June I spent a few days in Las Américas to check things out. I felt like I am in another world - almost only tourists, full of aggressive spammers (spammers I call restaurant PR workers) who make your walks uncomfortable day and night, signs in Russian, German, English. No, thanks, I want to live in Spain and I will stay where I am.

dixie4
08-10-2011, 20:54
Realejos my thoughts exactly.

The South is great for a day out and a change of scene when the cloud cover gets you down.

I think that if a UK airline, ie Ryanair, Monarch, Easyjet, flew regularly into Tenerife North airport it would show more people what the North, particularly Puerto de la Cruz, has to offer.

As for Spammers, as you call them, Plaza de Charco has a few that I find very annoying.

Sal
08-10-2011, 22:25
It's because only people from the South can afford to retire to Tenerife ;) They've got all the money!!! :)

Oooooooooh I wish! We want to retire to south Tenerife as we know it will always be the warmest part of the island. We live in Poole and immediately everyone thinks of Sandbanks and loads of money, but it's not always the way. We have visited the north of Tenerife and know there are "seasons" on the islands, but we love Los Cris. Hope we can afford to settle there eventually.

Roadkingrider
09-10-2011, 22:08
When I first came over, I made the mistake - and I mean big mistake - of living in Palm Mar, South Tenerife - cut-off, dreadful ex-Pat Brits (sorry to all the nice ones here) who thought they owned Tenerife, didn't speak any Spanish and didn't want to, were really nosey, petty, small-minded and rude/ignorant. Couldn't wait to move. BTW, think Canderlaria looks brilliant - stayed there for a few days and loved it.

lozzie1821
09-10-2011, 23:12
Ive always said i would prefer the south to the north simply because of the weather... it always seems to be cold BUT what i love about the north is the greenery!!!
I wish the south had more greenery to it - real grass nt the sort they have planted and placed there....

Margaretta
11-10-2011, 20:16
The North has always been my dream because of the wonderful plants and the charm and history of the old towns and of course, the scenery. For us we got more for our money in the south and I have come to appreciate the small villages along the coast towards Santa Cruz. They each have their own character, gorgeous clear waters and are well worth exploring. We have made friends too in the south.

But if we win the lottery my 30-year dream is the small villa in the North in a village on the way to La Orotava, looking down over Puerto. We would create our Tenerife garden, like Canarybird, and live outside mostly to cook, paint and entertain.
It's not hubby's whole dream....he would love that but also likes to be in the UK near his sporty friends and football team so we travel to and fro. The south of Tenerife is better because airport access is easy and he likes the wide choice of football presented.

babybadger
11-10-2011, 20:37
I would never base my choice on UK sport, when Spanish football is better....

I love the North but would only consider the South for work and I would commute. My Spanish in one year has got soooooooo much better for trying with locals, it's the only way forward.

Margaretta
11-10-2011, 20:52
Agree BabyBadger but hubby does watch spanish as well as English matches.

It is so important to try to speak some Spanish. There may be more incentives in mountain villages than on the coast where the Canarians cater so well for tourists. One may also need some knowledge of German in the North!!!!

babybadger
11-10-2011, 21:48
I think Canderlaria looks brilliant - stayed there for a few days and loved it.

Do it, don't look back , i love candelaria .....

Goforgold
15-10-2011, 09:09
When I first came over, I made the mistake - and I mean big mistake - of living in Palm Mar, South Tenerife - cut-off, dreadful ex-Pat Brits (sorry to all the nice ones here) who thought they owned Tenerife, didn't speak any Spanish and didn't want to, were really nosey, petty, small-minded and rude/ignorant. Couldn't wait to move. BTW, think Canderlaria looks brilliant - stayed there for a few days and loved it.

It's interesting how we all view things differently. This is the second time we have stayed in Palm Mar and we love it as a base. Very very quiet, no noise at all, no barking dogs and at the two places we have stayed we have not come across one British person. Would love to be able to spend 3 - 4 months of the winter there, but then would need to rely on buses which don't run all day.

kingbaker
19-10-2011, 09:45
It's interesting how we all view things differently. This is the second time we have stayed in Palm Mar and we love it as a base. Very very quiet, no noise at all, no barking dogs and at the two places we have stayed we have not come across one British person. Would love to be able to spend 3 - 4 months of the winter there, but then would need to rely on buses which don't run all day.

HA!!!!!HA!!!!! Must've been talkin' 'bout you so GFG you've been found out!!!!!

Suej
21-11-2011, 14:27

I could take or leave Palm Mar...I don´t know what it is about it but to me it feels a bit of a soul-less sort of place but that´s possibly because there still so many unfinished and empty apartments blocks there. maybe it needs a few more years to develop.:dontknow:

Pooh
21-11-2011, 15:16
Love this forum! I am learning a lot. I think we would most likely stay in the South. I need to escape cold weathers. It settles right into the bones. Give me the warmth, sunshine. Access to the water! Ability to be OUTSIDE everyday! My husband needs to windsurfer like a fish needs water (or like a golfer needs to golf)

Living in the North East of the USA. We have all 4 seasons. I have 40+ years experience of winter winds, snow drifts, ice storms, snow storms, freezing cold days with brillant blue skies. Watching all the leaves change color and fall off the trees. etc. is very pretty, could be the best season but it lasts about 4 weeks!. Summer brings heat and with that comes humidity, muggy weather and those demon bugs from hell MOSQUITOS!!! Very rarely are the hot days dry. SPRING....love it, everything blooms, blues skies are back. Weather: perfect even the rain is okay. Mainly because the temp never dips below 58 or about 75. This is what we are searching for. Of course I would welcome the 90's!!!

Again, thank you all for your comments. I am so happy I have found such and informative sight!

You make it sound like you're comparing North Tenerife with North Eastern USA.
North Tenerife has two seasons; Summer and Spring. What we don't have are the too-hot summer days of the South, and more cloudy days - which you'll welcome after living here for some time, the sun of the South is fine for short vacations, but not for LIVING - and a green and beautiful landscape, not a half-desert.
The Temperature in the North usually stays between about 55-60F (at night in the Winter), and 82F (daytime in the Summer)... eternal spring.
Of course, if you move up to a high altitude, the span is much higher, but that's true in the South too.

Goforgold
21-11-2011, 16:52
I could take or leave Palm Mar...I don´t know what it is about it but to me it feels a bit of a soul-less sort of place but that´s possibly because there still so many unfinished and empty apartments blocks there. maybe it needs a few more years to develop.:dontknow:

We use it as a base Suej - don't eat or go to any cafes there or to the beach. It is such a shame that there are all those unfinished apartments as you drive in - they do give the place the feel that you are going to see tumbleweed blowing down the street. We just love the peace and quiet when we go back from our travels around the island. Where we live there is no sound at all most of the time, except for the birds, and so we look for something similar when we're away as any sound would be magnified not being used to it.