PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to Hotel Jardin Tecina in La Gomera?

Tom & Sharon
28-06-2011, 16:30
Next month it's our silver wedding. In all the time we've been here, we've never been to La Gomera.

I was thinking of suggesting going for a little trip for our anniversary, staying overnight, and fancied this hotel. I haven't mentioned it to Tom yet, and I don't want to suggest it if it's no good.

Has anyone been, and what did you think?

christa
28-06-2011, 17:32
Hi, yes I've been. Great if you like to play golf or do absolutely nothing and just laze around the pool. Been lots of times and stayed at Valle Gran Rey because there are a choice of restaurants/beaches/bar/shops etc, and it does have a bohemian feel about the place. You can take the car over to San Sebastian or do a walk on and get the little ferry from San Seb. to either Santiago (Tecina Golf hotel) or VGR. Beautiful island, so different to all the others, I guess its like marmite really!

MaxineC
28-06-2011, 19:17
Yep, and pretty much the same report as Christa, we had a seafront apartment and the views were breathtaking... Thanks for the info on Valle Gran Rey, sounds like somewhere we would like too! :)

Red Devil
28-06-2011, 20:28
Hi, yes I've been. Great if you like to play golf or do absolutely nothing and just laze around the pool. Been lots of times and stayed at Valle Gran Rey because there are a choice of restaurants/beaches/bar/shops etc, and it does have a bohemian feel about the place. You can take the car over to San Sebastian or do a walk on and get the little ferry from San Seb. to either Santiago (Tecina Golf hotel) or VGR. Beautiful island, so different to all the others, I guess its like marmite really!

If we had a long weekend at Valle Gran Rey could you recommend a hotel? Also is a car not necessary then if we caught the ferry to San Sebastian/VGR on foot or would we be missing a lot by not exploring the area around VCR by car? We have done the island tour of La Gomera so not bothered about getting around the whole island again.

christa
28-06-2011, 20:58
If we had a long weekend at Valle Gran Rey could you recommend a hotel? Also is a car not necessary then if we caught the ferry to San Sebastian/VGR on foot or would we be missing a lot by not exploring the area around VCR by car? We have done the island tour of La Gomera so not bothered about getting around the whole island again.

We have never not taken the car, but then we always have one where ever we go.
VGR is quite small, there is a lovely long flat seafrontish walk from the little port to Playa (which is central) takes about 45 mins.

The drive from San Seb straight to VGR will take over 1+1/2 hours, fairly bendy road, but through the rain forest.
If only there overnight/2 nights think I would just get the ferry and leave the car. It will make you want to go back and explore!
We usually stay one mile inland from the sea, fantastic valley views, overlooking banana plantationsm but there is no bus service.
There are loads of apt complexes, even one hotel used by Thomsons! But with no car, look for somewhere on the seafront.
It is so laid back, no nightclubs, no 'A' boards advertising 1euro a pint! no British bars, like I said, Marmite!

casabonny
29-06-2011, 16:24
stayed in the Tecina and it was filthy and room was infested with coachroaches.Found the staff surly and unhelpful and was definatly not impresses.
We had previously stayed as the Parador which was nice but obviously old and food not too good and limited.Stayed also athe Valle Gran Rey and have to say that this was by far the best hotel and the village was delightful as were the people over this side , nothing like those at the tecinaIMHO.