PDA

View Full Version : Where would you prefer to live? Tenerife or the UK?

tonypub
28-06-2011, 19:22
put all the different pros and cons together and vote on where you want to be.this is not a debate on prices of things or anything like that, just a simple vote

Sal
28-06-2011, 19:25
No contest!.................for me anyway. :whistle:

LeFrunk
28-06-2011, 19:26
100% The Reef

sunspot
28-06-2011, 19:39
no need to think about it...............im home

beekay
28-06-2011, 19:49
I am so envious of you all that live in Tenerife. Given a choice, my answer would be simple. In reality, it looks like I'm stuck here in the UK. :cry:

with cheese
28-06-2011, 19:50
If I say Tenerife Tony will you give me a free beer. Tenerife it is then.

warbey
28-06-2011, 19:51
Ive thought about this many times.
I also have health concerns which mut be considered.
I only have experience of actually living in the U.K.
Nowadays I would really like to live in both.......
Mostly Tenerife though..

MaxineC
28-06-2011, 19:55
Tenerife...

...But one never knows what the future holds!

YOUNG GOLFER
28-06-2011, 19:57
Pro's and Cons......well i don't think shopping at Tesco's for cheaper food is a good enough reason to go back.....besides give me garlic chicken with mojo sauce any day or carne fiesta yum yum.

But to be honest everyone will miss their families at some point...but with facebook,skype ect talking to nanny through the computer is not a bad thing....also at time flights can be really cheap both for going back for a visit to spend quality time and family to come over.

I just think Tenerife is the best place ever having spent over 20yrs here this is now our home and i am pleased to say me and my family love it here we all feel very settled.

At first there was the draw back of not having that many friends here...more so the ones you can trust...but that's changed now and the forum played a big part in that.... meeting folk who i have a lot in common with and pleased to say become close buddies.

So for me Tenerife.....and for the members who are thinking about a better life........ than Tenerife would be a hard place to beat.

marbro8
28-06-2011, 19:57
bloody hell that was easy!! but i think you should have also added other choices like cyprus, malta usa australia and new Zealand, these are all countries i have also fantasised about moving to, i love my country but hate what people have turned it into,the dustbin of the world where people come to claim benefits that they do not deserve at the detriment of our indigenous people, where we give a country millions of pounds to aid their poor while they spend their own money on a space programme???, sorry going off topic now:surrender:

dede
28-06-2011, 20:15
I love living here in Tenerife, 1st choice for me, but i would never say never that i wouldnt go back to the uk, and im glad to have kept my house there just in case.

marbro8
28-06-2011, 20:17
I love living here in Tenerife, 1st choice for me, but i would never say never that i wouldnt go back to the uk, and im glad to have kept my house there just in case.show off:eyebrows:

with cheese
28-06-2011, 20:27
I shall keep my house here when we come out as swallows and rent it out, I think you can have a good life on around £1700 pm rent.
We will keep the flat here too and live in that when back.
Might buy out there but certainly rent to begin with.
Why swallows, because at 51 I can't see myself fully retiring so will still run a business here, which we make more on in the winter and can prep for in Tenerife in the summer.

Harmonicaman
28-06-2011, 20:28
Escocia hasta que me muera!

marbro8
28-06-2011, 20:33
I shall keep my house here when we come out as swallows and rent it out, I think you can have a good life on around £1700 pm rent.
We will keep the flat here too and live in that when back.
Might buy out there but certainly rent to begin with.
Why swallows, because at 51 I can't see myself fully retiring so will still run a business here, which we make more on in the winter and can prep for in Tenerife in the summer.bloody hell kev £1700 a month rent? what you got ? a hotel lol

with cheese
28-06-2011, 20:37
Is that the same as feeling PEELY WALLY

bloody hell kev £1700 a month rent? what you got ? a hotel lol

GOING RATE HERE FOR A DECENT 4 BED MATE, 900 PM FOR A REASONABLE ONE BED FLAT, bloody ridiculous.

marbro8
28-06-2011, 20:42

GOING RATE HERE FOR A DECENT 4 BED MATE, 900 PM FOR A REASONABLE ONE BED FLAT, bloody ridiculous.ye ur right mate but tbh brighton is a bit special

MaxineC
28-06-2011, 20:43

GOING RATE HERE FOR A DECENT 4 BED MATE, 900 PM FOR A REASONABLE ONE BED FLAT, bloody ridiculous.

Why are you shouting... you're giving me a HEADACHE! :D

YOUNG GOLFER
28-06-2011, 20:45
put all the different pros and cons together and vote on where you want to be.this is not a debate on prices of things or anything like that, just a simple vote

This could vote could go either way lol

Harmonicaman
28-06-2011, 20:49
Looks like it's me versus the Guanches...:boxing:

with cheese
28-06-2011, 20:50
Sorry max on wifeys laptop as mine has a battery fault and it doesn't behave.

That isn't Brighton mate, West Sussex 5 miles from Brighton.
My mate rents an ex council house on an average estate in a bit of a chav area. It is a 3 bed towney and not that nice. Bedrooms small etc 1300 pm plus a rent insurance of 50 a month, madness. So Tenerife is a good option.

Jackie Buyer
28-06-2011, 20:59
Ideally I would love to spend 6 months in Tenerife (winter) & 6 months at home in UK.

howard thornton
28-06-2011, 21:01
Sorry max on wifeys laptop as mine has a battery fault and it doesn't behave.

That isn't Brighton mate, West Sussex 5 miles from Brighton.
My mate rents an ex council house on an average estate in a bit of a chav area. It is a 3 bed towney and not that nice. Bedrooms small etc 1300 pm plus a rent insurance of 50 a month, madness. So Tenerife is a good option. is it a legal letting?

Goforgold
Ive thought about this many times.
I also have health concerns which mut be considered.
I only have experience of actually living in the U.K.
Nowadays I would really like to live in both.......
Mostly Tenerife though..

I'm with you Warbs - I'd like to live in both, now that would be Paradise :) - not at the same time of course!! :)

junglejim
Escocia hasta que me muera!

At present able to do both but , with future health concerns , need to keep a foot in UK where I pay my taxes and council tax for my home .

tizzywizzy
28-06-2011, 21:02
I would love to be a swallow,winter in Tenerife and the summer back in Scotland.

howard thornton
28-06-2011, 21:03
Ideally I would love to spend 6 months in Tenerife (winter) & 6 months at home in UK.

me too.sneaking another month in june.

Goforgold
28-06-2011, 21:05

Where do you live - the Gold Coast??!! :)

Suej
28-06-2011, 21:06
Ideally for me just a couple of months in UK in summer (just to have a change of scenery) and the rest of the time here!:hello:

gary d
28-06-2011, 21:11
me and my daughter are looking to buy in the next few years,she is just starting her career in the army but wants to spend as much time as she can on leave in tenerife.

with cheese
28-06-2011, 21:16
Where do you live - the Gold Coast??!! :)
No Bloody South Coast, it is good for us property owners but bad for the kids, no chance.
I sold a one bed flat in Hove 8 years ago for 189k and it is up now for 295k, ok its Victorian and big but not worth it.
Decent 3 bed houses out of Bton/ Hove average about 350k and sell in a week.

princessmonika
28-06-2011, 21:39
tenerife anytime, but also ireland in july august and on and off the other month -- when it is raining too much--options are great--

Davie Thistle
28-06-2011, 21:56
Without a doubt Tenerife,
but, we can't afford it.
so we are stuck in this ****ehouse of a country called the UK!:mad:

caroletenerife
28-06-2011, 22:19
Looks like it's me versus the Guanches...:boxing:

Still got my house in Arbroath, (does that count) I go back and forth, when i find myself watching youtube 'Billy Connolly' and the 'Corries' its time for a visit. I coudny leave for ever and not go back to touch base. I decline a lift from the airport so i can sit there and watch beautiful Perthshire from the train window...then i know i'm home

astara
28-06-2011, 22:27
I like to go home to uk ( & yes its still home ) also, to visit friends & family etc. However who knows how i,d feel if i had to live there full time -
Somet about driving to work in sunshine every day that just puts you in a good mood for the day !!!

reggie
28-06-2011, 22:35
me too.sneaking another month in june.

Howard, june ends in 3 days ?

Goforgold
29-06-2011, 05:29
[QUOTE=astara;49123
Somet about driving to work in sunshine every day that just puts you in a good mood for the day !!![/QUOTE]

I'm the same as you :) Getting up and going to work in the warmth was the best part of the day for me, no shivering in the shower or getting clothes on as fast as possible and then there was the first cafe con leche condensada of the day in Margarittas - perfect!! :)

Tarw
29-06-2011, 07:03
Guess im lucky own a place in both camps so fly back and forth when the mood takes us, having taken early retirement. Just wish there was a Tesco in Tenerife so i wouldnt have to return to save enough to come back out for a few more months oooops of topic.

tonypub
29-06-2011, 07:36
Guess im lucky own a place in both camps so fly back and forth when the mood takes us, having taken early retirement. Just wish there was a Tesco in Tenerife so i wouldnt have to return to save enough to come back out for a few more months oooops of topic.you obviously retired to early?

Goforgold
29-06-2011, 08:03
Guess im lucky own a place in both camps so fly back and forth when the mood takes us, having taken early retirement. Just wish there was a Tesco in Tenerife so i wouldnt have to return to save enough to come back out for a few more months oooops of topic.

You're not lucky - you've worked, been successful and now reaping the rewards - long may it continue for you both!! :)

Jackie
29-06-2011, 08:13
Definately Tenerife. I have had 2 visits back to the UK totaling 10 days in four years and couldn't wait to get out of the place on both occasions, cutting both visits short. I think it is the people that live here in Tenerife that still call the UK home that are torn between the two. From the moment we moved here this has been our home and I often have to remind family and friends in the UK when they ask 'when are you coming home to see us' that I am home.

Tarw
29-06-2011, 10:26
How do you say that Tony do i detect a little nastiness yet again, is it impossible to be sivil. Being able to afford a place in both places shows that does it. Im not one to spout about money m8 i just appreciate it a lot more than some others. Hard times are never forgotten in my book.
you obviously retired to early?

pablo1
29-06-2011, 10:30
England for me. Maybe all those who choose Tenerife should be thinking what they would do for a living when they're there, or is the question where would you prefer if you had no bills, a place to live, and a pot of euros to keep you in cheap beer and suntan lotion..... :-)

MaxineC
29-06-2011, 11:33
England for me. Maybe all those who choose Tenerife should be thinking what they would do for a living when they're there, or is the question where would you prefer if you had no bills, a place to live, and a pot of euros to keep you in cheap beer and suntan lotion..... :-)

If I was as young as you, you little whippersnapper, I would still be in the UK working my butt off for my old age... Now I'm in my old age, I need to be somewhere that keeps my bones warm... :D

ps: How you feeling my lovely? xx

Topacciolo
29-06-2011, 11:50

Good quote but the idea will be to (unless you are retired...) Do you prefer working all day, have decent money but very very poor quality life or start your own business or find a simple job in Tenerife get a less money but be able to enjoy your family a bit more?!?
I've been living in London for the past 12 years, I work, I work and I work. This country gave me a lot of great opportunity but I think sometime you need to choose. You can't have everything I'm I'm starting to think that it's time to say good-bye to UK and move to Tenerife.
Less money, doesn't mean worst life,I think it could actually be the opposite.

Topacciolo

pablo1
29-06-2011, 12:39
If I was as young as you, you little whippersnapper, I would still be in the UK working my butt off for my old age... Now I'm in my old age, I need to be somewhere that keeps my bones warm... :D

ps: How you feeling my lovely? xx

Apart from only having the strength to pick my iPhone up, I'm ok thanks babe. Hope you're getting there yourself. Xx

MaxineC
29-06-2011, 12:57
Apart from only having the strength to pick my iPhone up, I'm ok thanks babe. Hope you're getting there yourself. Xx

Poor you... big love & get well soon wishes :kiss2:

Seeing my surgeon again tonight... have a good feeling in my water ;)

megsdad
29-06-2011, 13:04
Pros and cons.
To all those talking about healthcare IMO the Spanish make the NHS look like witch doctors and yes the benefits of a good climate are well documented.
The island is SOOO transient, 18 years here and although a plethora of acquaintances I have 2 friends. I know they aint going anywhere. So many leaving at the moment, good and bad ones
Like others on here I have property in UK and here, the return in the UK at the moment is excellent, a bog standard 3 bed semi returning 900 quid, and they pay all utilities and council tax with the same tenant for 4 years.
Here, tenants change every 6 months, if they bother to stay and give notice or just do a runner. I pay all the taxes, community fees and include utilities in the rent and am considered fortunate to get 650€ (590 quid) for a 3 bed.
So where to live? Tenerife everytime, where to own? guess!!

pablo1
29-06-2011, 18:34
Good quote but the idea will be to (unless you are retired...) Do you prefer working all day, have decent money but very very poor quality life or start your own business or find a simple job in Tenerife get a less money but be able to enjoy your family a bit more?!?
I've been living in London for the past 12 years, I work, I work and I work. This country gave me a lot of great opportunity but I think sometime you need to choose. You can't have everything I'm I'm starting to think that it's time to say good-bye to UK and move to Tenerife.
Less money, doesn't mean worst life,I think it could actually be the opposite.

Topacciolo

Not everyone in the UK suffers from a poor quality of life you know.
A lot of our members who have made their lives in Tenerife are bound to have a dig because they left for a reason, I however did it the opposite way and moved over to Tenerife when I was 17 and left when I was 27.
My poor quality of life sees me getting to Tenerife every 5-6 weeks and various other holidays inbetween.
In all honesty, as much as I love the Island, and I will retire there in about 10 years, England is the right place for me, right now. :-)

caroletenerife
29-06-2011, 19:00
I live on SSOOO much less money here in Tenerife, I worked hard in Scotland and was well paid for it...but...monetary issues arent important to everyone. I think my quality of life here is better, just having an outdoor lifestyle, the fact that there is less emphasis on gaining material goods (i.e. need to get a better flat screen, car etc than him next door) and yes, the weather. Anyone who lives on the northeast coast of Scotland with the wind and horizontal rain blowing up your left trouser leg 11 months of the year will know what i'm talking about.x

Harmonicaman
29-06-2011, 19:11
I live on SSOOO much less money here in Tenerife, I worked hard in Scotland and was well paid for it...but...monetary issues arent important to everyone. I think my quality of life here is better, just having an outdoor lifestyle, the fact that there is less emphasis on gaining material goods (i.e. need to get a better flat screen, car etc than him next door) and yes, the weather. Anyone who lives on the northeast coast of Scotland with the wind and horizontal rain blowing up your left trouser leg 11 months of the year will know what i'm talking about.x

It goes up both my legs.:(

pablo1
29-06-2011, 19:14

You wanna stop being such a proud Scotsman and take your kilt off once in a while!! :-)

Goforgold
29-06-2011, 19:26

Donald where's yer trewsers!!! :)

caroletenerife
29-06-2011, 19:38
Depends on how the winds blowing in Arbroath for that phenomona

You wanna stop being such a proud Scotsman and take your kilt off once in a while!! :-)
Theres a guy in Arbroath that wears a kilt everyday...brave man

warbey
29-06-2011, 21:02
You're not lucky - you've worked, been successful and now reaping the rewards - long may it continue for you both!! :)

At 30 Tenerife
At 45 maybe
At 65 Well We will think about that.

Optimism and reality can be far apart.
Many go without even a Job..
Perhaps its Horses for courses.

I believe a Home at both Places is advisable for quite a few.
I would spend about 8 months in Tenerife (make that nine)..

marbro8
29-06-2011, 23:05
At 30 Tenerife
At 45 maybe
At 65 Well We will think about that.

Optimism and reality can be far apart.
Many go without even a Job..
Perhaps its Horses for courses.

I believe a Home at both Places is advisable for quite a few.
I would spend about 8 months in Tenerife (make that nine)..we plan to sell our 4 bed house in about 10 years downsize to a nice apartment and long term let in tenerife, and split our time between both

Pooh
29-06-2011, 23:26
Well... I haven't lived in the UK, and just moved to Tenerife, so I'll go for Tenerife, for now! :D

Since I can pretty much live anywhere where I have an internet connection to handle my business, I guess I'm lucky.
Can't rule out ever moving to the UK, though... Perhaps when I retire. :p

pablo1
29-06-2011, 23:47
Well... I haven't lived in the UK, and just moved to Tenerife, so I'll go for Tenerife, for now! :D

Since I can pretty much live anywhere where I have an internet connection to handle my business, I guess I'm lucky.

Is that why you had to leave Hundred Acre wood, because of lack of internet? :-)

YOUNG GOLFER
29-06-2011, 23:50

How come you have 5,778 post? when you have only made 9?

Pooh
29-06-2011, 23:58
Is that why you had to leave Hundred Acre wood, because of lack of internet? :-)

Yes, of course! :spin:

Where do you get the number 9 from? :eek:
The public number is a couple of hundred or so... the rest is "administration" posts off the public forum. :D

pablo1
29-06-2011, 23:59

Jealousy is a horrible thing Stu, don't be that person!! Ha Ha!

YOUNG GOLFER
30-06-2011, 00:00
Jealousy is a horrible thing Stu, don't be that person!! Ha Ha!

And there was me being nice on FB:fryingpan:

Added after 2 minutes:

Yes, of course! :spin:

Where do you get the number 9 from? :eek:
The public number is a couple of hundred or so... the rest is "administration" posts off the public forum. :D

Ok will let you off this time:hole:

MaxineC
30-06-2011, 00:51

Same for us.... Unplug > Go . Plug in! :D