PDA

View Full Version : Travel The Tenerife Forum 'Bringing pets to Tenerife' thread

tracey_in_tenerife
28-06-2011, 21:26
Has anyone brought their dog to Tenerife, which company did you use to arrange ? how much did it cost?

Tojack
28-06-2011, 21:53
Animals by air.In total vets,Defra,Airline,Aba,Crate.1000 Pounds as you can see from my avatar.He loved it worth every penny.

astara
28-06-2011, 22:21
I booked direct with monarch airlines £800.oo incl transport box, & we drove our lab to the cargo depot ourselves, & watched him put into crate & we went on same plane. All was well & molly jumped out in TFS full of life & legged it round the car park scaring a few spanish workers ..... lol

Jackie
28-06-2011, 22:25
We brought our dog with us four years ago. We booked him with the Cargo Dept. at Gatwick airport, they supplied the dog carrier and also booked him on the same flight as us. I don't know what airport you are using but I am sure like Gatwick they will have a website with all the information regarding booking animals on their flioghts

Pets@Home
28-06-2011, 23:38
Has anyone brought their dog to Tenerife, which company did you use to arrange ? how much did it cost?

Hi I send all my quarantines back from here using TFA LOGISTICS .......... p/m me for more details, one way trip 570 pounds excl cage ............

tracey
29-06-2011, 03:40
Dont know where you are coming from but we brought our dog from mainland Spain. She had her passport just needed a health certificate and the ferry cost about 60 euros. It was very good. But she still hated every minute!!

Pets@Home
29-06-2011, 14:47
Dont know where you are coming from but we brought our dog from mainland Spain. She had her passport just needed a health certificate and the ferry cost about 60 euros. It was very good. But she still hated every minute!!

Sorry from Tenerife to UK, and the same cost coming from UK to Tenerife ...............

tendedburrito
29-06-2011, 15:59
We used animal airlines, flew them from newcastle to TFS. Cost about 1200 GBP in total but that was for 2 dogs and they built the crates for us.

tracey_in_tenerife
12-07-2011, 20:58
We're bringing our two boxer pups out with us when we move out next month.
They are being picked up the day before and kennelled at the airport the night before we fly out, they will be on the same flight as us and will hopefully be picking our luggage up and then the dogs.
Is there anything i need to prepare my self for during this time, as travelling with 4 children is going to be stressful enough without hitting snags with the dogs either prior to collection or at the Tenerife end.
They are going for their rabies shot tomorrow and hopefully they will get the passport tommorow as well, as defra have slackened on the two week waiting period and bloodtest , we just can take them out of the UK for 21 days, so it is quite easy to get the dog passport now.

monet208
17-07-2011, 17:54
Hi
Unfortunately due to age we cannot risk flying the 2 cats out so its overland from the UK then ferry.
Would appreciate any advice on this -good routes-which spanish port - ferry journey time-direct to tenerife from spain? etc etc
Thanks

ddoyle
17-09-2011, 20:18
Hi
Unfortunately due to age we cannot risk flying the 2 cats out so its overland from the UK then ferry.
Would appreciate any advice on this -good routes-which spanish port - ferry journey time-direct to tenerife from spain? etc etc
Thanks
Travelling from Ireland to Tenerife in three weeks time via Cherboug with our little dog found pet friendly hotels on line. First night stop in Nante, next night stop in Irun just over the Spanish border, next stop over is Cuidad Rodrigo found a lovely Parador there on line. Then it's on to Huelva where we spend three nights to recharge our batterys, we take the ferry from Huelva on the 15th October. Hope this helps.

Pets@Home
17-09-2011, 22:38
Hi 11 years ago I flew 4 cats from the UK to TENERIFE. It took 4 hours and they are in a hold where there is no stress for them at all. Going the ferry route is hot and stressful and I dont recommend it. I bought my 18 year old cat over in 2000 and she was fine when she arrived. She lived another 2 years after.

cainaries
17-09-2011, 22:44
Hi 11 years ago I flew 4 cats from the UK to TENERIFE. It took 4 hours and they are in a hold where there is no stress for them at all. Going the ferry route is hot and stressful and I dont recommend it. I bought my 18 year old cat over in 2000 and she was fine when she arrived. She lived another 2 years after.

Is there an age limit imposed by the airlines or authorities, do you know? Just interested on behalf of some friends.

michele
01-11-2011, 15:17
Buster the bulldog died on flight home from Cyprus after airline caused him 'unnecessary suffering'
Pet's container was too small and likely to have caused him stress, court is told
Thomas Cook Airlines found guilty and fined £6,500
By JESSICA SATHERLEY
Last updated at 1:50 PM on 1st November 2011

Comments (36)
Add to My Stories
An airline has been found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an English bulldog which died on a flight back to the UK from Cyprus.
Buster, who belonged to a member of the armed forces returning home from Cyprus, was found dead at Gatwick airport after the Thomas Cook Airlines flight.
The airline was found guilty at Mid Sussex Magistrates' Court in Haywards Heath of causing unnecessary suffering.
West Sussex County Council said its trading standards officers went to Gatwick after Buster was found dead in a transport container, which was too small.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2056054/Thomas-Cook-guilty-causing-unnecessary-suffering-English-bulldog-died-flight-Cyprus.html#ixzz1cSlHKvVm

Pets@Home
01-11-2011, 17:05
Shame on the airline for letting the dog go into a small cage. Any sensible person SHOULD KNOW that a BULL DOG has problems with breathing anyway and should have had a cage 2 sizes up from its size ....... what a shame the dog did NOT HAVE TO DIE ............

tracey_in_tenerife
01-11-2011, 17:17
Yes shame on the airline!!! I was told that if the cage was not big enough for my dog/s the airline would refuse them flying !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pets@Home
01-11-2011, 17:24
The airline should had refused the dog or offered the owner a different cage, they have plenty there as back up. The owner is green, he relies on the experts to know what they are doing, and in this instance, a BULL DOG is one of those breeds that need more space than any other breed of dog ....... well done for suing these people, after all he has lost his baby, and it was not his fault ..... also it would have been an horrendous death for the poor animal .........

michele
01-11-2011, 17:41
my friends very fit bulldog died on a short flight from scotland to amsterdam...on hes way to panama ...with 2 other bulldogs and 2 french bulldogs....cages were 2 sizes up...pm was done in amsterdam..hed got stressed and choked on hes vomit...they wanted to return hes body to scotland but defra ect jumped in and said no hed crossed over countrys and couldnt be returned even though he hadnt been on the ground in amsterdam ...klm flight company were brill on the next stage amsterdam to panama they turned the hold temp down from 18 d to i think 14...all other doggies made it to panama..but sadly another bulldog and frenchi passed away within 48 hours of landing...xxx

caroletenerife
01-11-2011, 17:54
This is awful, does anyone know the statistics for animals that die in transit, is it common?

Pets@Home
01-11-2011, 18:19
I know alot of airlines will not take BULL DOGS anymore because of their mortality rate ...... but that last thread is so so SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nath
01-11-2011, 21:14
Our American Bulldog is 16 months now and has already been on a plane 5 times. He has no problems whatsoever. Even at the airport when we open the door to his crate he jumps right in we don't have to do anything to make him do this. (not even a fresh chicken hidden in the crate!). The first time he came over he was around 9 weeks. And he was a little too heavy to be accepted in the cabin would they have weighed him but they didn't. The crate was not the most ideal size. But we all agreed this was a better option than giving him a larger crate and then having to put him in hold.

1735 (Iberia even allowed his crate to be on the seat!)

I believe this positive experience helped him to get used to be on a plane. Now he travels in the largest crate accepted by the airlines (actually he travelled in that crate from his 2nd trip onwards).

I know these type of dogs can have more problems due to their short muzzles on planes. But I really hope they won't change the rules (In Holland they are discussing to ban these type of dogs from flights). But just imagine the stress these dogs would have when they had to get on the Ferry to leave Tenerife.... I think they should have a vet seriously check these dogs over and then allow them on the flight if they are found healthy enough and not have too many problems with their breathing system obviously!

Pets@Home
02-11-2011, 01:00
Hi well this guy wanted to fly 4 bull dogs to tenerife, he was on the forum not so long ago saying the airline would not let him fly his dog because of the mortality rates ...... well done for taking yr dog with u everywhere, thats wonderful .........

nath
02-11-2011, 09:43
I dod understand the airlines as well. They don't want to risk their names and avoid law suits etc. But Just hope they will find a way to not ban all dogs with short muzzles. That would be going a bit to the extreme I think.
If my dog had a large risk of not surviving the flight I would not drag him with us (unless we would move and then might have to use the Ferry instead). But luckily that's not the case. I hope he finds a solution though!!

michele
02-11-2011, 10:15
yes it seems a lot of problems with bulldogs and french bulldogs...due to the genetics of the breeds and yes airlines are refusing to fly them.....it would be great to buy a seat on a flight but cant see that going ahead from england..so the only option is the very long drive then the ferry to make sure the bulldogs are ok at least they will be with the family .x

nook
05-11-2011, 18:06
We're bringing our two boxer pups out with us when we move out next month.
They are being picked up the day before and kennelled at the airport the night before we fly out, they will be on the same flight as us and will hopefully be picking our luggage up and then the dogs.
Is there anything i need to prepare my self for during this time, as travelling with 4 children is going to be stressful enough without hitting snags with the dogs either prior to collection or at the Tenerife end.
They are going for their rabies shot tomorrow and hopefully they will get the passport tommorow as well, as defra have slackened on the two week waiting period and bloodtest , we just can take them out of the UK for 21 days, so it is quite easy to get the dog passport now.

try JET SET PETS quoted less than £600

Pets@Home
05-11-2011, 21:22
Hi no, u seem to have it all covered. Just the 24hr vet health certificate before u fly and yr good to go .......... make sure u check them in 3 hours prior to flying, and when u clear this end, u must go to the cargo section, which is located at another building, and by the time u have cleared yourself, u they should be cleared too .........

tracey_in_tenerife
05-11-2011, 21:50
Pets @ home the above quote is mine back in august ,they are already here, youve got my lovely pooches at Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pets@Home
06-11-2011, 10:20
Having a Senior moment ........ lol ........ thought for a minute the world had gone Boxer Mad !!!!!!!!!!!!

astara
07-12-2011, 14:26
URGENTLY NEEDED - two dog crates for transport to u.k. - we have two more live arico dogs leaving for new home on jan 4th, one is a medium/small boy, & other a mdm/large, if anybody knows of any crates for sale that suit airline requirements please let us know.

olive20
03-09-2012, 11:17
hi Tracey
I've just seen your post about bringing your dog over on the ferry and i plan to do that in December this year and stay for three months - i'm trying to find out what documents i need besides his passport and you have mentioned a health certificate? Can you tell me where i would obtain one from? I am travelling from France and i didn't know if i needed to see a vet just before leaving spain to go to Tenerife? I hope you don't mind me asking you - also did you use the ferry from Cadiz? Any advice would be appreciated! thanks

jambo2410
17-02-2013, 15:55
Hi im currently awaiting defra to get back to me with what info i need to ship our minature yorkshire terrier over, Any idea of cost and what we need?
I know he needs a rabies jab, passport and microchiping?
Anything else?
cost of shipping him?
Hes 5 months old
Regards
and thanks in advance
Jamie

fesdie
17-02-2013, 16:04
We moved over with our dog in July, he came on the same flight as us with jet 2 and they were great to deal with. They advised us on all the documents we needed and crate size etc. we paid £550 for his flight and €30 euros at the airport on arrival. It was all very easy but I think if the law has changed since then. I'm sure someone else will be able to comment on this. Good luck

Pets@Home
20-02-2013, 03:22
Its alot cheaper to fly fm UK to TFS, than to go fm TFS to UK.

Fm TFS you pay per animal, no matter what size, its a set rate.
Fm UK to TFS it goes on Volumetric weight, so the smaller the dog the
cheaper or cat.

I arrange both IMPORTS and EXPORTS, I am based here in TENERIFE, and do everything for u,
physically if u are EXPORTING fm TFS to UK, and step by step guide given if its fm the UK to TFS.

Also I am partnered with a Shipping Company to move all yr personal effects either way.

If anyone wishes for more info pls p/m me, currently I am advising the owner with his YORKIE

cherry73
28-02-2013, 12:41
Hi all from gloomy UK. Has anyone flown a dog over from UK to Tenerife recently? We are moving over in August and are bringing our gorgeous cockerpoo. Have had her rabbies and passport, microchip etc. :wave:

Jordzz
28-02-2013, 13:05
Hiya :hello:
We recently bought our 2 dogs out, ones an Alaskan malamute and ones a Shiba inu, from the UK 4 months ago. Was never an option to leave them, we love them too much, here to answer any questions if you need:) xx

cherry73
28-02-2013, 15:29
hi jordzz thsnks for a quick response. could you tell me who you flew withand how much etc. if you dont mind. Have done my own research nit any first hand experience would be great thanks. Cherry

Jordzz
28-02-2013, 17:03
More than welcome cherry, we used www.aiapets.com who were brilliant, they look after all pet travel for Thompson airways. The cost is all down to crate size, which your dog will be travelling in, they gave an online quote very quickly and were just generally really helpful. For one of our dogs (roughly the size of a beagle) it cost £400 for flight, £80 for crate. There is around £30 to pay when you collect your dog once landed just for import charges. Please feel free to ask more questions :) xx

Andy D
26-05-2013, 16:08
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if this question is on the site already. My partner and I are moving out to Tenerife in Jan 2014. I have just about organised everything ready to move. I thought we had everything ready to take our pet with us but it seems it's not as straight forward as i thought. There is loads of information on the net but one says one thing and others say something else. If it came to moving and we had an issue with our dog my girlfriend would kill me. :(

So can anyone help me please. Our dog is a Staffordshire, she is already chipped has all her injections from been a pup and goes to the vets every three months for check up's. I have asked the vet what would be needed and i'm not sure if its correct or not. This is the reason I'm hoping someone on here will have been through it and be able to give me the correct information.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give me. :)

Regards
Andy & Clare

Tickey
26-05-2013, 16:18
Speak to Petsathome on this forum and they will give you all the info

Andy D
27-05-2013, 10:48
Thanks Tickey

carpenter
27-05-2013, 11:24
Andy is your staffy pedigree?

Andy D
27-05-2013, 11:37
Hi Carpenter, Yes she is we dont have the papers tho.

Andy is your staffy pedigree?

carpenter
27-05-2013, 14:28
Hi Carpenter, Yes she is we dont have the papers tho.

Hi Andy the only reason I asked is because I did the same journey with two non pedigree staffs 4 years ago.
Firstly here is some info that you asked for

TFA logistics http://www.tfalogistics.com/pet_travel_quotations.html and there is a very helpful lady there called Sue Atchinson 0845 6809002 or ouside UK 004 1753 685 393 email sue@tfalogistics.com who can help.

This company deal with the airlines directly and if you contact the airline they just refer you back to them.
Their website is very helpful.

Back to the subject of Staffs,
Just make sure the passport says Staffordshire Bull Terrier and not cross breed as this may hamper your return to the UK should your Tenerife dream fall flat. Good luck

Andy D
27-05-2013, 16:05
Great thank you I'm hoping returning wont be an issue but I understand what you mean. I'll give her a call and see what I need. Cheers

Hi Andy the only reason I asked is because I did the same journey with two non pedigree staffs 4 years ago.
Firstly here is some info that you asked for

TFA logistics http://www.tfalogistics.com/pet_travel_quotations.html and there is a very helpful lady there called Sue Atchinson 0845 6809002 or ouside UK 004 1753 685 393 email sue@tfalogistics.com who can help.

This company deal with the airlines directly and if you contact the airline they just refer you back to them.
Their website is very helpful.

Back to the subject of Staffs,
Just make sure the passport says Staffordshire Bull Terrier and not cross breed as this may hamper your return to the UK should your Tenerife dream fall flat. Good luck

charlote
31-03-2014, 13:49
We bring our cat from caribbean, no problem at all

Suzywong
31-03-2014, 17:24
Contact Shirley pets@home on here. She arranged our parrot's move here in Feb and can't thank her enough for her help.

Beck John
08-08-2014, 18:55
I'm planning on moving back to Tenerife, Hopefully, before Christmas.
What can you guys tell me about bringing my dog over via ferry????
I'm thinking of getting a small van or estate car to bring my bits and pieces so it would be the ideal time to bring my dog as well.
Thanks in advance.

monet208
08-08-2014, 19:34
Hi everyone
Our two 18 year old Persian cats would not survive a flight from the Uk as cargo in the hold so 3 alternatives ?
1. ferry from UK to ??
2. drive to a ferry port and from there to Tenerife but heard some ferry companies do not allow pets in the cabin?
3. Flight where the cats would be allowed in the cabin- believe Iberia allow this but their website is confusing suggesting this is not possible from the UK ?
Thanks
david

cressrt
08-08-2014, 19:47
I question why the cats's would not be OK on a flight but that is your choice. I beleive that ALL countries apart from the UK allow cats and small dogs under 5 or 6kg in the cabin, although there are a limit on how many per flight. You can only have 1 per person as well.

monet208
09-08-2014, 05:27
I question why the cats's would not be OK on a flight but that is your choice. I beleive that ALL countries apart from the UK allow cats and small dogs under 5 or 6kg in the cabin, although there are a limit on how many per flight. You can only have 1 per person as well.

Advice of vet due to medical conditions otherwise we would not waste forum members time by asking for alternatives

cressrt
09-08-2014, 08:37
Fair enough always best to err of the side of safety. As I said it's only flylng from the UK, as far as I'm aware, that does not allow pets in the cabin.

Susief
09-08-2014, 15:39
Fair enough always best to err of the side of safety. As I said it's only flylng from the UK, as far as I'm aware, that does not allow pets in the cabin.

We have a neighbour on Camping Nauta and they live in Dublin and fly regularly with their small dog, dog goes under seat in a basket. Think he said cost them about 50e to fly her out but £500 in hold.

DJ Dangerous
09-08-2014, 16:15
We have a neighbour on Camping Nauta and they live in Dublin and fly regularly with their small dog, dog goes under seat in a basket. Think he said cost them about 50e to fly her out but £500 in hold.

What airline do they fly with, and on what route?

According to Aer Lingus, Ryanair, Jet2 and Thomson, there are no routes between the Canaries and territorial Ireland which permit live animals in the passenger areas.

Susief
09-08-2014, 16:47

According to Aer Lingus, Ryanair, Jet2 and Thomson, there are no routes between the Canaries and territorial Ireland which permit live animals in the passenger areas.

Not sure DJ, I'll ask him next time I'm out. Think they fly Dublin to Germany or Madrid and then onto Tenerife

Ecky Thump
09-08-2014, 16:59

Not sure DJ, I'll ask him next time I'm out. Think they fly Dublin to Germany or Madrid and then onto Tenerife

This link might clarify some points.....

Pets - transporting them to and keeping them in Tenerife
www.tenerife-information-centre.com/pets.html
Although some airlines will allow small dogs and some cats into the cabin with their owners (provided they are in a carrying bag of some sort), I don't know of ...

Beck John
09-08-2014, 23:15
thanks guys.
My Benji is a medium size dog and a bit lively. May not be appreciated on his own seat.....
The prices I have seen so far are 10+ times the cost of my own ticket. I may travel by road and ferry(s) as it would be similar prices and I could bring all my bit's and pieces. :)

Susief
10-08-2014, 08:28
thanks guys.
My Benji is a medium size dog and a bit lively. May not be appreciated on his own seat.....
The prices I have seen so far are 10+ times the cost of my own ticket. I may travel by road and ferry(s) as it would be similar prices and I could bring all my bit's and pieces. :)

Probably a good idea. I would imagine it would be quite stressful for them in the hold, I know my collie would probably freak out.
There was a thread or two on the ferries a while back. Very informative.

Think maybe if you came by road/ferry then make a holiday out of it, stopping off along the way.

PaulCourt
21-06-2017, 14:39
We brought our 2 cats over last Tuesday on a Monarch flight from Gatwick with help from Jets4pets. I can't fault J4P, but be wary of using Monarch, and Don't under any circumstances bring your pet here on a public holiday! We had to wait 3.5 hours to have them handed over to us! They were in their travel crates on a small trailer in the heat by the security gate adjacent to the Cargo Terminal. It's only thanks to a very considerate lady security guard that they had enough water and were movedo
into the shade after a couple of hours! The problem? Customs were closed, and Security had to have the ok from the Guardia Civil to hand them over, but Security couldn't get hold of anyone to give the OK until they eventually flagged down a Garcia Civil car and the guy gave them a number to ring. Monarch investigated and everyone blamed each other for this unacceptable mess. Groundforce at TFS initially gave us paperwork for 31 crates of apples! Monarch couldn't be bothered to apologise for the screw up! All I would say is Don't use Monarch!!!