PDA

View Full Version : Babies Behind Bars

lozzie1821
28-06-2011, 21:54
"Babies behind bars"

I never did get to watch the program but still i find it something worth talking about....

what are your opinions on this???

Personally im on the fence...
For those mothers who only have a few weeks to go and no help on the outside why should they have their right as a mother taken from them??
There are worse people than them in jail getting priviledges and what a newborn going to know really... it wont be traumatised by the surroundings and will still get to have that mother/child bond...
By mothers keeping their children with them it gives them the incentive (which they should already have) to get off drugs if they are on them, turn their lives around from doing wrong and doing right... maybe even getting some qualifications to help support the child on the outside...
As a mother i would want my children with me regardless of where i was if it was poss, selfish maybe....

Saying that, if a mother gives birth and they are due to be in jail for a LONG period of time obviously situations change, a family member/partner should step in & yes care if need be as its proven not all mothers have the mothering instinct and arent able to be the mother they should be...

If a woman has gone to jail for ANY child offence ie rape/murder/neglect then their situation should be seen to individually....

caroletenerife
28-06-2011, 22:04
only saw some of the programme and I agree some of the mothers with short prison terms can be postively influenced by having the support of this unit, and have more chance of rehabilitation, however there was one woman featured that had numerous children taken from her (either 8 or 9, cant remember), get that baby away from her and sterilise her immediately. I think all cases should be dealt with on an individual basis.

astara
28-06-2011, 22:33
Each case in the programme featured was individually looked at, & with a veryshort supply of places on the baby unit, it was a sought after place to get.

The criteria included any evidence of violence in past record meant exclusion from project, even going back to one woman from when she was in junior school.
Evidence did show that the women who went through this programme were less likely to offend, & bonded with their babies, kept, clean off drugs etc.
Thre periods of jail had to be for 18 months or less, it looked to me like a very good project. After all the unborn babies were not there by choice.

YOUNG GOLFER
28-06-2011, 23:02
Babies should not be born behind bars.......

Yes i felt sorry for some inmates...but at the end of the day you are put behind bars for commiting a crime and you should pay your dues the hard way.

I don't know the answer but it did seem to me that it's was more of a hotel than a prison.

with cheese
28-06-2011, 23:08
I think that it is a good balance up to one year max age, but I feel they should be made to spend 6 months in a mum and baby foster palcement when they come out. I know I will get flack for this, but if you don't know the benefits of a Mum and Baby placement please look it up.

caroletenerife
28-06-2011, 23:30
Babies should not be born behind bars.......

Yes i felt sorry for some inmates...but at the end of the day you are put behind bars for commiting a crime and you should pay your dues the hard way.

I don't know the answer but it did seem to me that it's was more of a hotel than a prison.

Just like british prisons in general then, theres one in Scotland that has its own 9 hole golf course !!!!!!

Zara
29-06-2011, 09:19
I think that it is a good balance up to one year max age, but I feel they should be made to spend 6 months in a mum and baby foster palcement when they come out. I know I will get flack for this, but if you don't know the benefits of a Mum and Baby placement please look it up.

I don t know the answer but feel it is unfair to the child to be taken from it's mother once it is a year old. During that time it has got to know and love her. If they have to be parted IMO surely it is better to be taken away shortly after birth before any bond is formed after all the baby is innocent.