PDA

View Full Version : What broadband provider do you use in Tenerife & what speed do you get?

TenerifeTeddy
29-06-2011, 22:02
I often get asked what is the "best" broadband provider or what speed can you get in a given area, so I thought I would start a thread and make it a sticky where people can post their own preferences and reasons.

This would be helpful to someone moving into an area, so they can know what to expect.

Useful information would be Town/Village/Complex; ISP used; ADSL Upload/Download speed obtained; Any restrictions on usage; Approximate monthly cost and time taken from order to installation

If you dont want to post your location on open forum please PM me the info and I will create a table with the information in, without reference to members names.

Jackie
29-06-2011, 22:17
Mine is via Direct Telecom. I am supposed to get 3mb but very rarely even get 1mb due to the fact that I live in El Roque up in the hills. To be honest it really is not a problem, most of the time I am on the PC and my son and daughter are both on their laptops. If my son is not on his laptop he is on X Box Live so all using the internet. They did upgrade it to 6 mb but had to revert back to 3 because my internet kept losing the signal due to it being so weak. The only time we have any problems with the speed is if some bright spark decides to download a film, this has now been banned until we go to bed so it can download overnight lol.
I pay 39.50 per month to DT excluding my adsl line rental which is via Telefonica and that includes free local calls and 500 minutes free to the UK per month. Service is normally pretty good and as long as you have an adsl line then they set everything up quickly, and if you haven't they will liase with Telephonica for you to get the line sorted.

Pooh
29-06-2011, 23:09
Mine's actually with BT Broadband. I'm on "up to 20 Mb", which in Tenerife means "up to 8Mb"... I usually get about 7 Mb here in Santa Úrsula in the North.
Cost is about €43 (€33 first 6 months), plus line rental which also is with them. (Or rather their Spanish reseller, Fortec.) No connection charge.
Then I also get 2000 minutes of national calls, 400 Minutes to anywhere in the EU (including UK), and English-speaking support for it all.
It's also possible to get a UK number, so people in the UK can call you on a national number.
I can't say much about reliability and such, since I haven't had it for long... and it took almost 3 weeks to get, mainly due to a mistake by the local agent here when placing the order, and some communication issues about it actually being connected at the end. Without those, it would have taken 10 days, about.

penelope pitstop
30-06-2011, 18:51
Why is broadband sooo expensive in Tenerife?

Here in the UK we pay £7.50 a month for unlimited broadband, no idea the speed but it's fairly fast.

Penelope pitstop

Jackie
30-06-2011, 21:34
Mine's actually with BT Broadband. I'm on "up to 20 Mb", which in Tenerife means "up to 8Mb"... I usually get about 7 Mb here in Santa Úrsula in the North.
Cost is about €43 (€33 first 6 months), plus line rental which also is with them. (Or rather their Spanish reseller, Fortec.) No connection charge.
Then I also get 2000 minutes of national calls, 400 Minutes to anywhere in the EU (including UK), and English-speaking support for it all.
It's also possible to get a UK number, so people in the UK can call you on a national number.
I can't say much about reliability and such, since I haven't had it for long... and it took almost 3 weeks to get, mainly due to a mistake by the local agent here when placing the order, and some communication issues about it actually being connected at the end. Without those, it would have taken 10 days, about.

Forgot all about that, I have one of those with DT as well :)

Pooh
30-06-2011, 21:43

Here in the UK we pay £7.50 a month for unlimited broadband, no idea the speed but it's fairly fast.

Penelope pitstop

Not strange at all, considering they have to put in a cable equal to half an Atlantic cable, just to get internet here... and not many users to share the cost.
It's still half of what I had to pay for the same speed in Cyprus... But twice of what I paid for a 100Mb fibre in Sweden. :D

life is short
18-07-2011, 19:28
I would be very interested to know what people have experienced with the broadband provider they have chosen.

We are planning on moving out to Tenerife early next year and one of our main priorities will be who can provide the best internet service ??? in the south of the island, probably in or around Los Cristianos.

Thanks to Pooh and Jackie for their contribution to this and hope TenerifeTeddy can get a few more responses to the original post. :hat:

slodgedad
18-07-2011, 19:38
I thought I'd replied to this thread already, must have been on Mk.1.

I have paid for 3 with Direct Telecom for a couple of years and only ever had one (Telefonica blocking)

I still pay for 3 but actually get 6-7 since they had to open up.

I'd recommend DT to anyone, especially if your Spanish is limited. After care is second to none.

Technician available 24/7 on the phone and the couple of probs I have had, especially after the storms last year, were fixed over the phone in minutes

(Personal opinion. Nothing to do with my mod status)

balababe
18-07-2011, 19:47
I live in Torviscas Alto and have been with Telefonica, now Movistar, since I moved there five years ago. It seems expensive, but has always been reliable, although not particularly fast. However, it is faster than my internet in the depths of Wales! I have heard varied reports about Direct Telecom, so I am wary about changing, but I am happy to be convinced. Interested to hear about BT - any more info would be welcome.

slodgedad
18-07-2011, 19:59
Since the storms last year my connection with DT has never dropped below 6, and is normally between 6.3 and 6.7.

Who do I write to for my commission?

Seriously though. I'm happy. They do have some new deals too which, as usual for any company, are for new members only, but having said that I'm more than happy with my service.

Imagine modding this mad house with a crap connection....?...:devil:

I hope they read this....:hungry::hungry:

balababe
19-07-2011, 10:24
Sorry, tenerifeteddy, I did not answer your question properly - I will be in Tenerife from the 27th, so I will test the broadband and let you know. This is a very useful thread and I hope more people will reply for your database.

wahay
19-07-2011, 10:50
well im with telefonica supposed to get 3mb , and how do you check what you actually get im sure on the last forum there was a link to see what you get anybody know, didnt have any trouble with getting it either whoop whoop

tonypub
19-07-2011, 11:11
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1392107964.png torviscas bajo

balababe
06-08-2011, 11:47
I have just tested my broadband speed, as streamed videos were constantly re-buffering - horrific - varied from 300 kbps to 1.2 mbps - done over an hour. This is, as I said before, with telefonica (movistar). Please someone advise me of what to change to - I see so many different reports of both BT and DT. We sometimes have three laptops on wifi, but the test was done with only two online. I wired the laptop connected to the television, but no improvement. Have you got anywhere with your database, teneifeteddy?

woodchip68
06-08-2011, 12:46
Since we came out to our house a week ago the internet connection has been REALLY bad, we rang Telefonica today and was surprised with the result we got! They actually made the internet really bad so we would ring up to complain about it, as they had been trying to contact us by phone.
We were told that we were still on the old system and needed an upgrade since the switchover,which is getting sorted in the next 24-48 hours.
We were paying 52 euros for telephone & broadband for god knows how long! we now have it for 30 euros for next 6 months then it goes up to 36 euros a month. soooo glad we made that phone call and we got put through to an english speaking operator as well. we should get 6mb broadband once its sorted but will see about that one, also once we had made the phonecall our broadband connection went from 0.6 mb to 2.4mb within 10 minutes
So if your internet is running like piece of s*** , you really need to make that phonecall

We are now contrated to Moviestar on 10mb and receive 6.6mb in Adeje. Note: If you dont have any joy call the commercial section in Madrid

Muppet
06-08-2011, 14:25
I have just tested my broadband speed, as streamed videos were constantly re-buffering - horrific - varied from 300 kbps to 1.2 mbps - done over an hour. This is, as I said before, with telefonica (movistar). Please someone advise me of what to change to - I see so many different reports of both BT and DT. We sometimes have three laptops on wifi, but the test was done with only two online. I wired the laptop connected to the television, but no improvement. Have you got anywhere with your database, teneifeteddy?

The problem here is that all 3rd party providers have to buy their services from Telefonica, so if your service from Telefonica is pants, you're not gonna get anything better elsewhere.

bonitatime
06-08-2011, 15:05
We are in Adeje with Telefonica. Not home so can't check the speed we are supposed to have 6MB.I have to say I have no real technical problems with telefonica. Sometimes we have a desk top, two laptops, 2 phones which tend to wifi and Imagenio (cable) on and it works with no trouble. If we have had line trouble or problems with the cable box they are quick to come out. It is their billing and customre service I am not so keen on.

woodchip68
06-08-2011, 15:10
Go to http://www.o2.co.uk/ and look at the footnote at the bottom !!!!!!!!!!????????????

karinagal
06-08-2011, 15:15
Go to http://www.o2.co.uk/ and look at the footnote at the bottom !!!!!!!!!!????????????

Do you mean the Telefonica badge? O2 is a spin off from BT and BT either owns or has a large stake in Telefonica....

woodchip68
06-08-2011, 15:22
With BT on the Island, Moviestar, Telefonica and now Direct Telecom. One wonders if they are all p***ing in the same pot:(

Muppet
06-08-2011, 15:39
Do you mean the Telefonica badge? O2 is a spin off from BT and BT either owns or has a large stake in Telefonica....

No, Telefonica owns O2, BT sold it to them in 2005

woodchip68
06-08-2011, 15:45
Same pot then:juggle:

princessmonika
06-08-2011, 15:56
i am with telefonica asdl no problem and moviestar mobile

Added after 2 minutes:

moviestar is telefonica

TIS
06-08-2011, 16:09
The problem here is that all 3rd party providers have to buy their services from Telefonica, so if your service from Telefonica is pants, you're not gonna get anything better elsewhere.
Since the fibre optic cable has been laid this is no longer true. So you will start to see companies, BT who have their own complete control over infrastructure etc.
See http://www.sw1telecom.com/ for NEW BT offerings. If you sign up , use "TIS" as reference.
Enjoy.

As far as mobiles are concerned, we had movistar and after 14 months of promises to get the signal working both in our office and in the house in granadilla they failed miserably - so we changed 2 months ago to Orange. We can actually get coverage anywhere in house ( previously we had to go on the roof or in the street) and signal strength is level 5 of 5. My advice is to check that you can get a signal where you live, from inside the house first.

we'll be looking to switch to BT now, as they include 400 mins of UK and 2000mins Spanish calls FREE.

timmylish
07-08-2011, 00:35
We are with Telefonica in San Isidro with a contract for 12 months at a substantially reduced price (on offer last December) for up to 10 Mgsps. Currently get between 6 and 9 ish depending on time of day and W/e,s. No probs at all but Like TIS has said, things are about to change, as I,ve consistently said on here.
Have to say reading their info, their UK TV is bloody expensive against my 5.99 stg for my VPN which gives more channels!

TIS
07-08-2011, 01:00
We are with Telefonica in San Isidro with a contract for 12 months at a substantially reduced price (on offer last December) for up to 10 Mgsps. Currently get between 6 and 9 ish depending on time of day and W/e,s. No probs at all but Like TIS has said, things are about to change, as I,ve consistently said on here.
Have to say reading their info, their UK TV is bloody expensive against my 5.99 stg for my VPN which gives more channels!
But you forget most people aren't as savvy as you and couldn't set up their own VPN, so they will need to pay somebody for the privilege of their expertise and on-going maintenance skills.

Goforgold
07-08-2011, 13:52
But you forget most people aren't as savvy as you and couldn't set up their own VPN, so they will need to pay somebody for the privilege of their expertise and on-going maintenance skills.

Now there's a side line for you Timmylish ;)

life is short
29-08-2011, 17:05
Have found this thread very useful :hat: as we are planning on moving to Tenerife and our main priority when we're searching for rental property will be an internet connection. We need to know which areas have access to broadband and the speed availability.

Hence, yesterday I sent an email to Direct Telecom asking what areas they covered in south Tenerife and received the following response this morning:

"Thank you for your email.

The speed on the lines depends on the infrastructure Movistar provides.

We can't really differentiate in good and bad areas as for example Los Cristianos has very good lines for up to 10MB but as well lines where no Internet is possible.

If you are able to provide us with already existing phone numbers we can let you know what will be possible in that area.

Please let us know if you have any further questions!"

Do any of the forum members know which areas in Los Cristianos are unable to get an internet service? :confused: It would save us a great deal of time in knowing which areas to avoid before making enquiries about rentals in a particular area and the broadband available!

Thanks in advance.

TenerifeTeddy
29-08-2011, 19:20
It used to be the case that parts of the Playa Graciosa complex in Los Cristianos couldn´t get phone or internet, but that was a couple of years ago, so not sure now.

slodgedad
29-08-2011, 20:08
Have found this thread very useful :hat: as we are planning on moving to Tenerife and our main priority when we're searching for rental property will be an internet connection. We need to know which areas have access to broadband and the speed availability.

Hence, yesterday I sent an email to Direct Telecom asking what areas they covered in south Tenerife and received the following response this morning:

"Thank you for your email.

The speed on the lines depends on the infrastructure Movistar provides.

We can't really differentiate in good and bad areas as for example Los Cristianos has very good lines for up to 10MB but as well lines where no Internet is possible.

If you are able to provide us with already existing phone numbers we can let you know what will be possible in that area.

Please let us know if you have any further questions!"

Do any of the forum members know which areas in Los Cristianos are unable to get an internet service? :confused: It would save us a great deal of time in knowing which areas to avoid before making enquiries about rentals in a particular area and the broadband available!

Thanks in advance.As DT have said, it's not the area in particular but the actual location.

Where my son lives, in Los Cristianos, he can achieve 3mbps but 100 meters up the road 10 is a doddle, regardless of provider.

babybadger
13-11-2011, 14:41
Currently getting download 6.25Mbps , upload .54Mbps with 92ms ping time from Direct Telecom, 300 mins EU calls and internet for €54/month, understand its cheaper now with better offers...

Not bad as I have "overheads" (virus checker/firewall and running on wifi through thickish wall) .....

Live near Santa Cruz

http://www.speedtest.net

I am less than 1km or less from the exchange by the way..... 600m just checked...

Indigo
16-11-2011, 10:08
We are with vodafone :/ We pay 34€ a month for a modem with a dongle on it. As you can see from the speedcheck (http://www.speedtest.net/result/1594868179.png) it is total rubbish so we are switching to something better next month

babybadger
16-11-2011, 12:29
We are with vodafone :/ We pay 34€ a month for a modem with a dongle on it. As you can see from the speedcheck (http://www.speedtest.net/result/1594868179.png) it is total rubbish so we are switching to something better next month

To be fair, I am on orange payg at €3.50/ a week on my iphone, and I am getting 141ms ping, 3.13Mbps upload and .35Mbps download, I would get an iphone / android smartphone, and run that for general mail and stuff, and go to a coffee place with free wifi for the other stuff......

balababe
25-11-2011, 09:24
Hi Tenerifeteddy - did you ever get enough information about broadband? I am in Torviscas Alto and my broadband, with Movistar, is dreadful - often below 1mbps. Even BBC Radio Five Live is constantly buffering and trying do stream video is impossible. Any ideas???

timmylish
25-11-2011, 15:02
Whilst not for one minute disputing your figures I find it almost inconceivable that you get less than 1 Mgps in town. I think your first port of call must be to complain to Movistar/Telefonica. They will know the approx. speed you should be getting, as a minimum. Sounds to me more of a technical issue. Since they own your line, no matter which company you might go to for ADSL you,ll get the same speeds, within 1 Mgps so, one way or another your first step is to get them in!
What are your neighbours getting?

balababe
25-11-2011, 17:00
Whilst not for one minute disputing your figures I find it almost inconceivable that you get less than 1 Mgps in town. I think your first port of call must be to complain to Movistar/Telefonica. They will know the approx. speed you should be getting, as a minimum. Sounds to me more of a technical issue. Since they own your line, no matter which company you might go to for ADSL you,ll get the same speeds, within 1 Mgps so, one way or another your first step is to get them in!
What are your neighbours getting?

Thanks, Timmylish. It definitely sometimes goes below 1 mbps, as tested on two online speed testers. I am back in the UK for 12 days, but will get in touch with movistar/telefonica when I get back. The suggestion of asking my neighbours what they get is obvious, but I did not think of it!!! I will also do this. I use a VPN from IAPS when accessing BBC iplayer, but I presume this should not make a difference. I don't need this for radio, but as I said before, it is constantly buffering. Thanks again for your help.

Muppet
25-11-2011, 17:54
Put your landline number into this checker, follow the instructions and it will show you what services are available via your line and your local exchange. If it only offers you the 3 Meg service then you know what you are getting is probably about it. If it offers you the 6 or 10 service, then you can be pretty certain something is wrong and you should complain.

Remember all services are "up to" - the reality is that you'll probably get somewhere between 40 and 75% of the maximum speed available. Therefore if you are only offered the 3 meg service what you are getting is going to be it.

http://www.movistar.es/on/pub/servicios/onTOEntrada/0,,entrada%2Brd_coberturas%2Bv_segmento%2BAHOG%2Bv _idioma%2Bes%2Bmenu_izq%2B2%2BambitoAcceso%2Bpub,0 0.html?uri=/no/servlet/no32hojg&v_segmento=AHOG

TenerifeTeddy
25-11-2011, 19:13
Unfortunately things haven´t moved much since I first started this thread. There are lots of promises about and several companies offering very fast speeds, but all dependent on when the fibre optic link is completed.

The suggestion of asking your neighbours what they are getting is a good one. It is quite possible though that 1Mb (or less) is all you are getting if you are in an area where the local node has more subscribers than it was designed to handle. Additional subscribers are fitted in by reducing the bandwidth (speed) of everyone else on that node. This is what has happened in Callao.

timmylish
26-11-2011, 00:14
Thanks, Timmylish. It definitely sometimes goes below 1 mbps, as tested on two online speed testers. I am back in the UK for 12 days, but will get in touch with movistar/telefonica when I get back. The suggestion of asking my neighbours what they get is obvious, but I did not think of it!!! I will also do this. I use a VPN from IAPS when accessing BBC iplayer, but I presume this should not make a difference. I don't need this for radio, but as I said before, it is constantly buffering. Thanks again for your help.

Well I am shocked to say the least that someone took money from you for a VPN with that sort of downloading speed. Yes a VPN does slow the line down. You have to think about it that the line is travelling one hell of a distance, to and fro the UK just to serve you! Now the company which I have used for years and freely advocated to others on here would never propose a VPN with that line speed. Anyway, ask around as I have suggested and on the basis of that info. let us know the outcome, please. If you want to talk about your VPN (or mine!) then just fire away!

Cairo
26-11-2011, 10:36
I too have the dubious pleasure of being 'in town' but being forcibly restricted to an 'up to 1mb' internet service, this is via ANY subscriber, and believe me I have tried and tried and tried to get more, but that is all that my line will support, and, being an 'up to' service - actually, lets go check right now what my current speeds are........ Download 0.74mbps and Upload 0.23!!

It doesn't really matter who I want to complain to, that is what my line gives me and that is that until the infrastructure changes. So, doesnt matter if I pay for a 3mb, 6mb or 10mb, I only get what I get so obviously I just go with who I think offers me the best package/deal, and as to internet TV, best I have come up with so far is Europa who say theirs will run on 1.5mb.

timmylish
26-11-2011, 23:00
Cairo. I really hope that Europa,s equipment is able to increase the velocity of your incoming line and that their equipment allows you the benefit of receiving "watchable" TV! Good luck!

Muppet
26-11-2011, 23:07
Heard on the radio today that you can sign up for a 3 day trial with Europa Networks on their website - best bet would be to give it a bash and see if it runs better than your VPN - either way you'll know what your options are

babybadger
28-11-2011, 20:09
I too have the dubious pleasure of being 'in town' but being forcibly restricted to an 'up to 1mb' internet service, this is via ANY subscriber, and believe me I have tried and tried and tried to get more, but that is all that my line will support, and, being an 'up to' service - actually, lets go check right now what my current speeds are........ Download 0.74mbps and Upload 0.23!!

It doesn't really matter who I want to complain to, that is what my line gives me and that is that until the infrastructure changes. So, doesnt matter if I pay for a 3mb, 6mb or 10mb, I only get what I get so obviously I just go with who I think offers me the best package/deal, and as to internet TV, best I have come up with so far is Europa who say theirs will run on 1.5mb.

If you want to watch UK TV, A satellite dish is the only real way to watch a decent picture, unless your ADSL provider is less than 1km of copper wire length away from the Telephone Exchange and is using good quality copper and there is no noise on the line (does your phone crackle an pop on landline calls?). It might be worth having an old BT bloke (who lives here maybe?) check out the wiring in your house.

It doesn't matter how much some company promises you this or that, they can't promise you any more than the infrastructure will allow (unless they have what is called 'Voice Coils' - doubt it as Telefonica wouldn't allow it on their systems). I would say that the best thing is to ask your 'friendly' local Movistar/Telefonica guy, where your nearest telephone exchange is and drive to it and clock how many kilometres it is to it and post it up here.
Another thing to consider is that in the exchange, is how many people are subscribed to each Cab (ADSL cabinets in the exchange). In the UK the contention ratio for Home used to be 50lines:1cab and Business was 20lines:1cab, I suspect it maybe be more like 200line:1cab in your area...

One other thing, do you have wifi? Is it secure or is someone 'leeching' onto your network, or is it a wired network (much more secure) ...

It does sound to me like Telefonica/Movistar are throttling their ADSL to make clients pay more money to get what they are already entitled to, who can you complain to? Who will listen?

timmylish
29-11-2011, 01:09
babybadger:-
"
It does sound to me like Telefonica/Movistar are throttling their ADSL to make clients pay more money to get what they are already entitled to, who can you complain to? Who will listen? "

Movistar/Telefonica obviously are listening since they have dramatically reduced their charges for ADSL with immediate effect!

Cairo
29-11-2011, 10:16
Heard on the radio today that you can sign up for a 3 day trial with Europa Networks on their website - best bet would be to give it a bash and see if it runs better than your VPN - either way you'll know what your options are

Thanks for this, I have some further comments but I'm going to post them on the Europa thread :)

Cairo
29-11-2011, 10:23
If you want to watch UK TV, A satellite dish is the only real way to watch a decent picture, unless your ADSL provider is less than 1km of copper wire length away from the Telephone Exchange and is using good quality copper and there is no noise on the line (does your phone crackle an pop on landline calls?). It might be worth having an old BT bloke (who lives here maybe?) check out the wiring in your house.

It doesn't matter how much some company promises you this or that, they can't promise you any more than the infrastructure will allow (unless they have what is called 'Voice Coils' - doubt it as Telefonica wouldn't allow it on their systems). I would say that the best thing is to ask your 'friendly' local Movistar/Telefonica guy, where your nearest telephone exchange is and drive to it and clock how many kilometres it is to it and post it up here.
Another thing to consider is that in the exchange, is how many people are subscribed to each Cab (ADSL cabinets in the exchange). In the UK the contention ratio for Home used to be 50lines:1cab and Business was 20lines:1cab, I suspect it maybe be more like 200line:1cab in your area...

One other thing, do you have wifi? Is it secure or is someone 'leeching' onto your network, or is it a wired network (much more secure) ...

It does sound to me like Telefonica/Movistar are throttling their ADSL to make clients pay more money to get what they are already entitled to, who can you complain to? Who will listen?

Thank you - interesting comments :)

TBH I don't really watch much TV and have small satellite dish, however it would be nice to have 1-5 sometimes (just so I know what people are on about when they are twittering on about dancing, jungles, diabolical singer, etc). I don't know if there is such a thing as a 'friendly' tele-con-ica/Movistar guy - usually when I am 5 hours on the phone to them it is routed via South America, however, I will try to find out where my local exchange is although it may take some time.

Yes, I have wi-fi and it is fully secured, however sometimes I can be running 3 or 4 devices at one time and I am aware that they will all share my measly 1mb.

timmylish
30-11-2011, 00:28
Well. Mrs. T. was on the phone to Telefonica to-day (afternoon) and within 7 or 8 minutes had re-negotiated our line rental (fixed rate of nearly 14€) to-gether with ADSL at up to 10 Mgsps as per the advertising they are currently doing which is due to expire to-morrow. Inc. free Spanish land calls our monthlies all in will be 33/34 €,s which is what we have been paying since December of last year. Very hapy with Telefonica,s response and the way they dealt with us. In all honesty I think that this equates very well to what the costs are elsewhere in Europe (incl UK/Ire).

Harlequin
04-01-2012, 14:10
I live in Torviscas Alto and have been with Telefonica, now Movistar, since I moved there five years ago. It seems expensive, but has always been reliable, although not particularly fast. However, it is faster than my internet in the depths of Wales! I have heard varied reports about Direct Telecom, so I am wary about changing, but I am happy to be convinced. Interested to hear about BT - any more info would be welcome.

I wouldn't recommend BT. We used to resell their products and now don't.

delderek
04-01-2012, 17:31
Well. Mrs. T. was on the phone to Telefonica to-day (afternoon) and within 7 or 8 minutes had re-negotiated our line rental (fixed rate of nearly 14€) to-gether with ADSL at up to 10 Mgsps as per the advertising they are currently doing which is due to expire to-morrow. Inc. free Spanish land calls our monthlies all in will be 33/34 €,s which is what we have been paying since December of last year. Very hapy with Telefonica,s response and the way they dealt with us. In all honesty I think that this equates very well to what the costs are elsewhere in Europe (incl UK/Ire).

Mmmm not quite,, 16.90pds per month 24mb service (17mb actual) 40Gb allowance, calls included, in the UK

babybadger
09-02-2012, 00:31
North of Santa Cruz....
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1760990975.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

timmylish
09-02-2012, 02:39
With over 6 mb/s nearly all video contents, excepting 3D and the like, should be readily available to you.

babybadger
09-02-2012, 09:20
a direct telecom customer i see . you should be getting things like BBC HD,ITV3 HD
with no problem.

Er yes and unofficially yes.... although the normal TV here is quite good, we get clan and Disney for the kids, and they have lots of English/American programmes....

Harlequin
09-02-2012, 09:50
Don't know if it's any use to anyone here but we use Canal+ and most of the channels are available in the original version which helps.

bonitatime
09-02-2012, 11:33
Harlequin do you have TV and broadband with Canal Plus? If so does it drop frequently?
We have trio with Telefonica and it can ba a pain but we also have canal plus on satellite and were thinking about combining but frightened about the two on the same cable.

babybadger
09-02-2012, 12:14
Don't know if it's any use to anyone here but we use Canal+ and most of the channels are available in the original version which helps.

Is Canal+ satellite or cable? We cant get either in our location.

Harlequin
09-02-2012, 13:02
Harlequin do you have TV and broadband with Canal Plus? If so does it drop frequently?
We have trio with Telefonica and it can ba a pain but we also have canal plus on satellite and were thinking about combining but frightened about the two on the same cable.

No, sorry. I have ADSL from guess who and Canal+ with a HD box. Love it, because with 3 kids at home it's impossible to watch enything all the way through so I just grab the entire series :)

bonitatime
09-02-2012, 13:06
That's what we have but they were offering ASDL too but I am loath to change if it won't work as well and my experience with trio leaves a lot to be desired.

Is Canal+ satellite or cable? We cant get either in our location.

You can get either but both are paid for

Harlequin
15-02-2012, 12:37
Curiously we just had 2 signups from Spanish clients who are doing the same because the Canal+ service over ADSL is not up to standards...

Arenquerojo
17-11-2012, 21:57
Telefonica bought O2 from BT.
Telefonica is, I believe, the largest telecoms company in the world - as well as the most awkward!
BT is a much, much, smaller player.

Patrick

karinagal
17-11-2012, 23:02
Telefonica bought O2 from BT.
Telefonica is, I believe, the largest telecoms company in the world - as well as the most awkward!
BT is a much, much, smaller player.

Patrick

I might have got it backwards - I know that there is a link between Telefonica and BT.. Maybe Telefonica owns a chunk of BT?

msergiu80
30-08-2014, 19:46

Penelope pitstop

could it be because it is an island and the optical fibre cable that connects it to Europe can only take so much speed, so by the principle of supply and demand affects the price?Yes, that is why :) :whistle:

Pooh
30-08-2014, 19:58
could it be because it is an island and the optical fibre cable that connects it to Europe can only take so much speed, so by the principle of supply and demand affects the price?Yes, that is why :) :whistle:

1. The pricing is the same as in mainland Spain for the same services. (Even lower, since the IGIC here is less than the IVA on the mainland.)
2. There is actually quite a lot of capacity to mainland Europe because they have built laid down fiber cables to Tenerife which are supposed to go on to South America, and connect South America to Europe.

msergiu80
30-08-2014, 20:13
1. The pricing is the same as in mainland Spain for the same services. (Even lower, since the IGIC here is less than the IVA on the mainland.)
2. There is actually quite a lot of capacity to mainland Europe because they have built laid down fiber cables to Tenerife which are supposed to go on to South America, and connect South America to Europe.

well, without knowing, I was answering a post from 2011 :)) totally agree with you. I am moving to Tenerife by the end of September and I was wondering if I can get 100mbps/10mbps there, easily and if yes, what are the covered areas?

junglejim
30-08-2014, 20:21
Movistar(Telefonica) do it but you´d have to find the right area - Los Cristianos in South might be best bet .

http://www.movistar.es/particulares/internet/fibra-optica/ficha/movistar-fibra-optica-100-10mb-llamadas?pid=PA-home-ven4

TIS
30-08-2014, 20:29
Heard today that Movistar are about to unleash 4G, unlimited download!!! Now that will be good. We have 4G in Granadilla, but my line at moment has 60GB download limit, so you'll only get about 120 hrs of IPTV, or 80hrs on an XMBC box. But unlimited 4G will really change thing here. Just in time for our new ExtremeTV system, which should go live in 10 days time and have ALL the TV channels people want with VOD and catchup all in for an incredible price, but as important, the quality of the picture is better than anything else on the market at the moment and on a smaller band width. Its taken a long time to get this, but soon now, very soon. Watch this space!

Slonik
20-01-2016, 11:07
Not sure if this is of use to you all, but for many it may be. Also not sure if this has already been mentioned as I have not actually read all the messages on this topic.

Since late spring 2015, UK ‘THREE’ allowances (calls, texts, mobile broadband etc.) may be used in most EU countries including Spain and the Canaries, at no extra cost over that of using the allowances in the UK. I have a SIM only deal with THREE that costs 20 pounds per month for “All You Can Eat Data” (Unlimited broadband), 200 minutes of calls, and unlimited texts. However, although this is unlimited data in the UK, when used in Tenerife you are limited to 12Gb of data per month, you are not charged if you attempt to go over that, once the 12 Gb limit is reached you just lose access until your next monthly allowance start date.

The speed you can get depends on if you can get a 4G connection in your area of Tenerife, when you can you can easily exceed speeds of 50 Mbps. I find 12 Gb of data per month is ample and the 4G, and even the 3G speeds, exceed Tenerife landline broadband speeds significantly.

Now a little techie bit;
The best way to use the “All You Can Eat Data” THREE SIM is as follows:
They are sold on a basis of being for mobile phones, however, unlike SIMs of other networks, they also work fine in USB mobile Broadband dongles. So the best way to use them is to first activate them in a mobile phone, then use them in a mobile broadband USB dongle on your laptop or PC. You can then set up your computer to share the internet wirelessly allowing you to set up your own WiFI hotspot for your entire household broadband needs. For those of you that are not sure about how to set up a hotspot on your laptop or PC, a better option is to use a 4G hotspot USB dongle. This allows you not only to have direct access to the internet on the computer it is plugged into, but automatically becomes a WiFi hotspot when the dongle is powered. In fact you do not actually need a computer to set up the hotspot, just some way of powering the dongle. I often use it in my car plugged into a UBS charging point.

The best device for this is an UNLOCKED (SIM free); Huawei E8278 Modem USB Dongle Mobile Wifi (4G USB Stick), available on eBay for around 35 pounds (UK).

Another alternative is to just use the SIM as it is intended, in a smartphone, as most of today’s smartphones have a hotspot app, and this obviously allows you to take advance of the unlimited texts and 200 minutes of call time, while still allowing all your household devices to access the internet at higher speeds than Tenerife landline broadband options. The only drawback with this option is some non-UK mobile networks prevent non-mobile devices from accessing their mobile network, in particular Windows based devices, often Android devices go undetected and work fine e.g. iPads and other Android based tablets etc.

So all-in-all, all you need is a UK THREE 20 pound “All you can eat data” SIM only deal (12 months contract), then you get 12Gb of broadband data per month at 50Mbps+ connections available to all your devices once you set up a hotspot with either a smartphone, or after activation in a phone, using a mobile broadband dongle.

Hope this is of use to some of you.
Cheers for now
Slonik

Pooh
20-01-2016, 11:24
The above post sounds like an advert... especially since it's a new posters first post.
But to revive this thread but on Topic, I now use Movistars Fiber broadband, and get 600+ Mbit...
We got it here now in our small village. :fpull:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5003188808.png (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5003188808)

It's actually 2 fiber lines, one for the business and one private, but together with a homebuilt router and some tinkering, the result is over 600 Mbit, in most cases.

Megaloo
20-01-2016, 13:12
I had fibre optics installed on Saturday but have still to get an increased speed Hope Movistar can soon sort it out as frustrating

Pooh
20-01-2016, 13:39
I had fibre optics installed on Saturday but have still to get an increased speed Hope Movistar can soon sort it out as frustrating

Didn't they verify the speed when they had installed it?
When they installed mine, they verified that each line delivered 300 Mbit before they left.
But I had some issues with my own equipment after, where a common router acted as bottleneck so I didn't get more that 20 Mbit or so, even if we got 300 when connected directly with network cable to the Movistar router. That's what prompted me to build a custom router, which enabled me to get 600 Mbit... (Which wasn't the intention originally, just to get load balancing, and the actual 300 Mbit speed that I know each line delivered.)

Megaloo
21-01-2016, 00:10
Didn't they verify the speed when they had installed it?
When they installed mine, they verified that each line delivered 300 Mbit before they left.
But I had some issues with my own equipment after, where a common router acted as bottleneck so I didn't get more that 20 Mbit or so, even if we got 300 when connected directly with network cable to the Movistar router. That's what prompted me to build a custom router, which enabled me to get 600 Mbit... (Which wasn't the intention originally, just to get load balancing, and the actual 300 Mbit speed that I know each line delivered.)

I thought they had but obviously had not, so it still has to be sorted,:mad: but hopefully they will sort it soon

mhtenerife
21-01-2016, 13:52
What Slonik says is correct, up to a point. The service from 3 is intended for short term use abroad whilst you are on holiday. They will cut you off if you try to use it for longer periods.oh, and you need to buy an add on to make use of it.
What is the add on you need to buy? I use 3 mi fi when I go home but never use it all.

mhtenerife
21-01-2016, 14:37
You don't need to buy an add on in the UK if you are just using a dongle for data. If you want to use a phone abroad in a feel at home country on PAYG you buy an add on that converts your credit into minutes, texts, data etc. It's all explained on their website but it's fairly complicated, of course.
I use it in the uk but still have data left when I return to Tenerife, it does sound complicated, will take a look on their website, thank you.

poolside
24-01-2016, 09:48
We have a fibre optic connection with movistar and see average download speeds of 307 Mb/s and uploads of 29 Mb/s using this speed checker (http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/?&again)

NISHANA
25-03-2017, 08:55
I think you should choose something that best suits your situation and also the capacity you need.