PDA

View Full Version : I need help with Tenerife Flora & Fauna for our Wildlife Project in September

MrsTT
30-06-2011, 10:56
Now we have moved into the English centre in Tejina, Guia da Isora, I am discovering a whole world of nature that I never dreamed existed. Our topics for the beginning of the next term will include studying the animals and birds that surround the place, as we have already identified a hawk, blue tits, sparrows, rabbits and various lizards and beautiful dragonflies. I will be hunting the bookshops for more local information as the online stuff is very general at present.
I would welcome any information and pictures about the plants and animals that live on the island. :)

Harmonicaman
30-06-2011, 19:23
This (http://www.tenerife-information-centre.com/tenerife-flora-and-fauna.html) is quite an informative site MrsTT.:)

DaveRF
30-06-2011, 19:33
I used to see Hoopoes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoopoe) regularly in Tenerife.

MrsTT
30-06-2011, 23:41
I used to see Hoopoes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoopoe) regularly in Tenerife.
Thanks for that.
Funnily enough Steph caught one on a picture today - just! It was on the wires on the road to Paraiso. The pictures you found are bigger & better!!!!

KirstyJay
01-07-2011, 00:40
Get some caterpillars and do a project on the very hungry caterpillar by Eric Carle :)

MrsTT
01-07-2011, 10:17
Get some caterpillars and do a project on the very hungry caterpillar by Eric Carle :)

Didnīt get the caterpillars but did do that project last term in the building in Las Americas! Never fails to please, I donīt need much of an excuse to share that story however many times I have used it! :)

Now we are up at Tejina, we have so much wild life around the school we have no need to breed any. The lizards are getting quite brave, and we can see the hawk every day hunting in the valley below us. There are Blue Tits nesting in the roof of the school and lots of other birds fly around in the wild vegetation around us. I have heard Blackbirds, and seen several other species which we shall take photos of and try to identify. Last week we were treated to a fantastic display by an orange winged dragonfly, who kept settling on the vegetation at little person level for the children to be close enough to see the amazing eyes.
We know there are rabbits around as well, so it is going to be fascinating to record and document the creatures we can find all aound the building. I would like some resources though to help the children & I identify what we see. I have seen Hoopooes down here at the coast but not yet up the mountain.

Whilst we are collecting information about the animals, we shall try to document the plants that surround the school too. Later in the year we hope to start our own garden for the children to work in, but we should know more about the cultivated stuff than we do about the wild vegetation at the moment.

Exciting times - cameras and drawing pads to the fore come September!

MrsTT
19-07-2011, 11:28
Still looking for information. A lot of the information on the tourist sites is very general.

We seem to have a harrier patrolling the skies around the school. Not sure which sort so would love to know more. Iīll get the children to take some pictures in September, if we can manage to click fast enough.

The same with local species of lizard. There are numerous shapes, sizes and colours of lizards sprinting round the grounds.

So if you have any local information we look forward to hearing more from you!:teacher: