PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember these sweets & chocolates?

AL JAY
30-06-2011, 15:52
Below is a link to retro sweets & chocolate, 2p Aero's etc, i also remember penny arrow bars,Blackjacks & Fruit salads and Walker's toffee's.

http://www.bestbritishsweets.co.uk/memorylane.html

jolfc
30-06-2011, 15:59
Frys chocolate bar, mmmmmmmmm,
Caramac, mmmmmmmm-mmmmmmmm,
Cola Cubes, yummy,
Pineapple chunks, delicious,
amazing I only have 1 filling really, :):)

Goforgold
30-06-2011, 16:09
Every day before school I bought 24 Shrimps, and a quarter of Kali. Break saw me at the tuckshop for Palm toffee, had to be banana flavour and then lunch was a Wall's Creamy Lolly (which no-one I know has ever heard of!!). The wrapping was done in very tiny squares of red, white & blue - delicious.

Loved Pineapple Cubes, and Bon Bons (2 oz pink and 2 oz white), also loved Spangles. Particularly Acid Drops that took the roof off your mouth!! Oh forgot the Magic Wands - I still buy those :)

I would love to come across someone who has heard of Pom Poms. They were around in about 1961 and melted in your mouth.

I liked Iced Clarnacos too - the pink ones.

You've started something AJ!!! :) Sweets are my favourite thing above everything!! :)

imablue
30-06-2011, 16:13
buying this.."PK".. instead of Beechnut...cos we was posher ....:whistle:
http://www.manufacturer.com/cimages/product/www.alibaba.com/1216/t/Sell_p_k_chewing_gum_chewing_gum_peppermint_chewin g_gum_sugar_chewing_gum_.jpg

AL JAY
30-06-2011, 16:18
Also Cinder toffee, Pear drops, sticky lice,Sherbet dabs and Callard & Bowsers toffee's & Parmaviolets!!!

imablue
30-06-2011, 16:22
what about " Spangles "..............some awful tasting ones though ....these .....olde english...yuck..
http://www.advertisingarchives.captureweb.co.uk/images/trueimages/30/56/78/56/30567856-1.jpg

Goforgold
30-06-2011, 16:22
Also Cinder toffee, Pear drops, sticky lice,Sherbet dabs and Callard & Bowsers toffee's & Parmaviolets!!!

I had a quarter of cinder toffee last week - it was covered in chocolate - yummie!! :)

Parma Violets were only to be eaten when there was nothing else AJ!!! :). I had some of them too the other day - yuk!! :)

jolfc
30-06-2011, 16:27
Flying saucers, they were like a disc of cardboard with sherbet in them.

imablue
30-06-2011, 16:38
what about these during the 6 weeks summer holidays...when we got sunshine nearly everyday....
http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/faded/delights/fd_jubblyoj.gif

AL JAY
30-06-2011, 16:44
Wow, used to love them Doug, tear the corner off jobbies!

MaxineC
30-06-2011, 17:03
Lots of those already listed, but Aztec bars...

Ed3229
30-06-2011, 17:28
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ruf9JBv9V4U/SCHE6t2BERI/AAAAAAAAAhE/aZ_L7-qfrAc/s1600-h/lord+toffingham.jpg
Do you remember those delicious ice lollies back in 1974, with that gorgeous blob of soft toffee in the middle of the toffee flavoured ice cream? Here's a picture of the wrapper. Unfortunately, it's nowadays impossible to find toffee centred ice lollies.619

Suej
30-06-2011, 17:46
Jubilee bags!:jumping:

Huge Wagon wheels (only little now :()

Goforgold
30-06-2011, 18:41
what about these during the 6 weeks summer holidays...when we got sunshine nearly everyday....
http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/faded/delights/fd_jubblyoj.gif

And when you sucked them the colour came out and you were just left with a chunk of ice!!! :(

imablue
30-06-2011, 18:45
used to love these ...
http://cadburydairymilk.typepad.com/.a/6a0112790c9f2f28a4013487e4eed7970c-500wi

dokgolf
30-06-2011, 18:49
Does anyone remember those "cigarettes". They were small thin sticks of candy with pink colouring on the end to look like a lit cigarette? Wouldn't be P.C. these days

Suej
30-06-2011, 18:50
And when you sucked them the colour came out and you were just left with a chunk of ice!!! :(

You were sucking ´em too hard!:raspberry:

Sal
30-06-2011, 19:01
Flying saucers, they were like a disc of cardboard with sherbet in them.

Still get those and I love them!

Does anyone remember those "cigarettes". They were small thin sticks of candy with pink colouring on the end to look like a lit cigarette? Wouldn't be P.C. these days

And sweet tobacco which was actually coconut pieces with sweet brown sugar.

There were also liqourice novelties, one of which was like a pipe with red sprinkles to emulate the burning tobacco!

Oh - and does anyone remember chewing for hours on liquorice roots?

warbey
30-06-2011, 19:09
P.K. was My all time favourite Chewwy.
Bar 6 took Me back too. Had one a Day with Me snapping. Discoverednicer ones then, made by Fry's I think.

onelegnofeet
30-06-2011, 19:14
Oh - and does anyone remember chewing for hours on" liquorice roots"?

Thats a funny name,is it Levi Roots brother ???:eyebrows:

Bazooka Joes bubbly ...........with the little cartoon strip inside

Goforgold
30-06-2011, 19:18

10 in a packet!!! :)

Do you remember the Smoker's Sets - liquorice pipe, tobacco, sweet ciggies, matches - definitely not PC and not allowed!! Shame!!! :(

Thats a funny name,is it Levi Roots brother ???:eyebrows:

Bazooka Joes bubbly ...........with the little cartoon strip inside

OL - do you remember the name of the bubblegum which was in a wrapping, round, pink and very hard - nearly broke your teeth and within a couple of chews the taste had gone!!! :)

Added after 3 minutes:

You were sucking ´em too hard!:raspberry:

That's always been a problem of mine Suej!!!!! :eyebrows::eyebrows:

marbro8
30-06-2011, 19:26
does anyone remember the chocolate smockers sets and santas at xmass? i allways used to get one off my nan and they tasted nothing like chocolate!!!! they were cheap and nasty lol

mony71
30-06-2011, 19:34
How about those chewing gums called freshen up,little cubes with a clear liquid in the middle. Another good site www.aquarterof.co.uk/

MaxineC
30-06-2011, 19:43
used to love these ...
http://cadburydairymilk.typepad.com/.a/6a0112790c9f2f28a4013487e4eed7970c-500wi

The only Skippy I remember was a bush kangaroo....

onelegnofeet
30-06-2011, 19:50
OL - do you remember the name of the bubblegum which was in a wrapping, round, pink and very hard - nearly broke your teeth and within a couple of chews the taste had gone!!! :)

I know the ones but cant remember the name sorry ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Not a sweet ...............but what about Kunzell Cakes ???

Jenny10
30-06-2011, 19:52
Oh, no - Old English were by far the best!!

marbro8
30-06-2011, 19:56

Not a sweet ...............but what about Kunzell Cakes ???wasn't they just called bubbly? and do you remember bazooka joes lol

onelegnofeet
30-06-2011, 20:05
wasn't they just called bubbly? and do you remember bazooka joes lol

Stop blowing bubbles ones burst and stuck your eyelids together !!LOL.................READ POST 20:eyebrows::eyebrows:

The wifey said the same ......."Bubbly " i hate saying she maybe right (as i scoffed at her reply )

Bluebird Toffeee ..............everlasting strips ..............

imablue
30-06-2011, 20:42
the pink chewing gum..?was it not... Chix...and there was a black one the same shape and similar wrap...¿ " Sambo..??"

AL JAY
30-06-2011, 20:49
A slab of Hollands toffee and toffee hammer!

sleepy
30-06-2011, 21:12
Aniseed balls and Jamboree bags..... lol

marbro8
30-06-2011, 21:13
Stop blowing bubbles ones burst and stuck your eyelids together !!LOL.................READ POST 20:eyebrows::eyebrows:

The wifey said the same ......."Bubbly " i hate saying she maybe right (as i scoffed at her reply )

Bluebird Toffeee ..............everlasting strips ..............oh ye lol sorry mate, and the name of the pink bubbly was anglo bubbly:eyebrows:

Jackie
30-06-2011, 21:17
OMG I remember every one of the sweets mentioned in all of the posts haha.

Definately Bubbly bubble gum, the only one that was any good for blowing big bubbles...just a problem when they burst and stuck to your face and hair ;)

My mum loved liqourice, especially the disc shaped pontefract cakes I think they were called, just 100% liqourice, and she always had a supply of the roots to chew on. Sunday evening my dad would go to the sweet shop and by just about a 1/4 of everything. I also loved sweet peanuts and Merry Maid chocolate toffees. My Nan bless her used to by 1/2 pound of Acid Drops between my brother and me every single week, we didn't have the heart to tell her they wasn't our favourites and only a couple got eaten each week. We had so many at one time we could have opened an Acid Drop Shop :).

sleepy
30-06-2011, 21:27
Flying saucers and snakes...hehe....

AL JAY
30-06-2011, 21:34
Barley sugar sticks and Cough candy!

Suej
30-06-2011, 21:37
Blue bird liquorice toffees! Mmmmmm!!!

granitecityred
30-06-2011, 21:57
There's a shop in the square at Silencio that sells old school sweets. Flying Saucers , cola cubes etc at reasonable prices

Santiago
30-06-2011, 22:06
Huge gobstoppers which changed colour as you sucked them.

marbro8
01-07-2011, 08:23
what about sherbet dips, with the little bits of liquorice sticking out of the top, we used to lick the end to get it wet(no inuendo intented lol) then keep twisting it round the little yellow carton to get as much sherbet on it as possible ha ha:eyebrows:

Jackie
01-07-2011, 08:45
what about sherbet dips, with the little bits of liquorice sticking out of the top, we used to lick the end to get it wet(no inuendo intented lol) then keep twisting it round the little yellow carton to get as much sherbet on it as possible ha ha:eyebrows:

and then end up with the paper at the top of the tube all soggy so you had to keep tearing it off :)

onelegnofeet
01-07-2011, 10:02
Parkinsons Butter Scotch,jelly snakes ,bullseyes ,

Tojack
01-07-2011, 10:38
Sherbet pips,uncle mac drops,yorkshire mix.cop cops,coconut macaroons,uncle joes mint balls.

onelegnofeet
01-07-2011, 10:43
uncle joes mint balls.

COR !! he must use the same shower gel as me ..........MINT SOURCE!!!!(no not spelt wrong thats its name )

Traffic light lollies ,Top Ten icecream lolly ,pear drops,sour apples ,sherbert lemons,chocolate limes

Tojack
01-07-2011, 14:20
Dare i say skrewball ice cream

Debbie_22
01-07-2011, 18:44
I like how on that website from the initial post kitkats cost like 2p and now nearly a quid, whereas freddos were 2p and have only ever gone up to like 10p!!!

rotchie
01-07-2011, 20:48
Can anyone recollect liquorice wood, tiger nuts and locust beans, we used to get these upto the mid fifties; however, I did see locust beans for sale in Marmariss in Turkey during the early nineties.

Jackie
01-07-2011, 21:45
Can anyone recollect liquorice wood, tiger nuts and locust beans, we used to get these upto the mid fifties; however, I did see locust beans for sale in Marmariss in Turkey during the early nineties.

I was born WWWAAAAYYYYYY after the mid 50's...alright at the very very end of the 50's and I remember Liqourice wood or roots. I said in a previous post my mum had a constant supply she loved them. You can still get them today but I think it is mainly from the places that sell all the nuts and mixed fruit. Bought some myself on a visit back to the UK in March

onelegnofeet
01-07-2011, 21:49
I was born WWWAAAAYYYYYY after the mid 50's...alright at the very very end of the 50's and I remember Liqourice wood or roots. I said in a previous post my mum had a constant supply she loved them. You can still get them today but I think it is mainly from the places that sell all the nuts and mixed fruit. Bought some myself on a visit back to the UK in March

Move over Youngster !!!Also available in most Herbalists J......................

AL JAY
02-07-2011, 01:36
Dare i say skrewball ice cream

I have a pack of them in the fridge, You can still get them in Iceland and Morrisons!

confidential
02-07-2011, 07:41

Me too Jackie, how about giant toffee humbugs.
Chocolate Cushions and sausage mash and peas.

Goforgold
02-07-2011, 07:45

Not a sweet ...............but what about Kunzell Cakes ???

Just seen this OL - Kunzell's cakes!!! Now that does bring back the memories OL!!! They always had to be started off by sticking the toungue in and licking all the soft stuff inside ! Soooooooooo yummie!!! :) :)

Added after 3 minutes:

the pink chewing gum..?was it not... Chix...and there was a black one the same shape and similar wrap...¿ " Sambo..??"

I remember the Chix, Imablue, I think they were pink but square. So far I haven't been able to remember the round pink hard one!!! :(

Aniseed balls and Jamboree bags..... lol

I've been buying aniseed balls for years - they are great for keeping hunger pangs at bay. Got a supply by my bed and at work :) :)

I seem to remember the Jamboree bags were a bit of a disappoinment. :)

confidential
02-07-2011, 07:57
Just seen this OL - Kunzell's cakes!!! Now that does bring back the memories OL!!! They always had to be started off by sticking the toungue in and licking all the soft stuff inside ! Soooooooooo yummie!!! :) :)

Added after 3 minutes:

I remember the Chix, Imablue, I think they were pink but square. So far I haven't been able to remember the round pink hard one!!! :(

I've been buying aniseed balls for years - they are great for keeping hunger pangs at bay. Got a supply by my bed and at work :) :)

I seem to remember the Jamboree bags were a bit of a disappoinment. :)
Dairy crunch. Our ice cream man had loads of sherberts he poured over your ice cream.

Goforgold
02-07-2011, 08:10
Dairy crunch. Our ice cream man had loads of sherberts he poured over your ice cream.

That sounds delicious :)

We had an ice cream man that came around called Bridgwaters - 5.00pm every day and I always had my ice cream dipped in the hundreds and thousands. You can't seem to get that type of ice cream anymore, you'd come across the 'ice bits' - I'd have liked to try the sherbert stuff!! :)

imablue
02-07-2011, 09:20
what about this ......can anyone remember the tune/song.....:)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3563/3437760664_396b1d2ab4.jpg

confidential
02-07-2011, 09:31
Mr Softee, what happened to him, Whippy still about, they were like Dandy and Beano.

Harmonicaman
02-07-2011, 09:43
what about this ......can anyone remember the tune/song.....:)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3563/3437760664_396b1d2ab4.jpg

Cyril Fletcher used to recite this..
Pendleton’s Twicer ice-cream: 1950s

There was a young girl of Southend
Who had only twopence to spend,
So what could be nicer
Than a Pendleton’s Twicer?
Ice cream — with a lolly each end!

imablue
02-07-2011, 10:36
ha ha... well in Campbell...that,ll be doing ones head in all day NOW ....

Jackie Buyer
02-07-2011, 11:17
Lucky Tatties, plastic toy in the middle to break your teeth on, also sports mixtures (nobody liked the black ones)

AL JAY
02-07-2011, 11:25
Lucky bags and liquorice torpedo's and pink and white nougat bars.

Suej
02-07-2011, 14:17

Marshmellow in between two wafer made to look like Ice cream! Milk bottles! sweet cigarettes! Mivvi ice cream lollies!

LOL! you´re right GFG Jubilee bags were always a disappointment...I was such a sucker!:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

Lucy Fer
02-07-2011, 15:15
That sounds delicious :)

We had an ice cream man that came around called Bridgwaters - 5.00pm every day and I always had my ice cream dipped in the hundreds and thousands. You can't seem to get that type of ice cream anymore, you'd come across the 'ice bits' - I'd have liked to try the sherbert stuff!! :)

We used to take a bowl to the ice cream man who came round at Sunday tea time and he would drizzle it with raspberry syrup - my dad called it beetles blood :o

Still like liquorice torpedos but hate nougat, we called it nugat not noo gah:crazy:

lesbroz
02-07-2011, 15:35
Lucky Tatties, plastic toy in the middle to break your teeth on, also sports mixtures (nobody liked the black ones)
The black ones were my favourite.

Cherry Lips, Floral Gums, Butterscotch and Licorise Tablets. Yum Yum!

marbro8
02-07-2011, 18:10
i know it's not classed as a sweet but we used to be able to get them at our tuck shop, dundee biscuits mmm they were enormous!! but you can't seem to get them anymore?

Suej
02-07-2011, 18:18
Honeycomb in a slab...God that was sweet! :spit:

Tojack
02-07-2011, 18:19
I have a pack of them in the fridge, You can still get them in Iceland and Morrisons!

Do thy still have bubble gum in the bottom?

Added after 8 minutes:

Honeycomb in a slab...God that was sweet! :spit:

Wife has just made some Sue.Just waiting for it to cool.

AL JAY
02-07-2011, 18:49

Added after 8 minutes:

Wife has just made some Sue.Just waiting for it to cool.

There ya go Tony

Jackie
02-07-2011, 18:53

Would it not just be called a SCREW if it didn't have the BALL of bubblegum in the bottom :)

Tojack
02-07-2011, 19:56
Would it not just be called a SCREW if it didn't have the BALL of bubblegum in the bottom :)

:doh::ashamed:

dixi
02-07-2011, 20:18
Acid drop Spangles were my favourite. I was actually working for Mars when they axed the flavour back in 1972.

Who remembers Imps and Nigroids?.

10 points now if you remember what they were.

I also liked Wagonwheels at 3d

Norrie
02-07-2011, 20:35
Penny chews and Black Jacks

Goforgold
02-07-2011, 20:38
Acid drop Spangles were my favourite. I was actually working for Mars when they axed the flavour back in 1972.

I didn't like imps !! :(

Added after 5 minutes:

Marshmellow in between two wafer made to look like Ice cream! Milk bottles! sweet cigarettes! Mivvi ice cream lollies!

LOL! you´re right GFG Jubilee bags were always a disappointment...I was such a sucker!:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

I still buy those marshmallow wafer thingies - low in cals, only 50 a portion. So when I eat the 6 in the packet, I've only had 300 cals!!

AL JAY
02-07-2011, 20:47

Nigroids were tiny liquorice pellets in a tin, and as nowadays singers have a few shots of Ron Miel, singers in the 60s used Nigroids to soothe the throat.

Nigroids were tiny liquorice pellets in a tin, and as nowadays singers have a few shots of Ron Miel, singers in the 60s used Nigroids to soothe the throat.

onelegnofeet
02-07-2011, 21:43
Would it not just be called a SCREW if it didn't have the BALLS in the bottom :)

Mmmmmmm! sounds painful ......................................!!!lol

not sure how it was spelt ...Parma Violets (Palma???)

marbro8
28-03-2014, 22:45
i went into a retro sweet shop today in walsall and got pineapple rock, choc limes, kola cubes, rhubarb and custard and a load of other things but why can't i get any dundee biscuits from anywhere???, they were my absolute favourite, i used to save my pocket money up every week just to buy them from our tuck shop:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
29-03-2014, 11:50
i went into a retro sweet shop today in walsall and got pineapple rock, choc limes, kola cubes, rhubarb and custard and a load of other things but why can't i get any dundee biscuits from anywhere???, they were my absolute favourite, i used to save my pocket money up every week just to buy them from our tuck shop:laugh:

TUCK SHOP !! OMG haven't heard that in donkey's !

Ahhh the memories ........

do schools still have tuck shops ?

marbro8
29-03-2014, 12:35
TUCK SHOP !! OMG haven't heard that in donkey's !

Ahhh the memories ........

do schools still have tuck shops ?don't know???, but if jamie oliver had anything to do with it they would only be selling carrot sticks:lol: and "donkeys" i haven't heard that in ages:eyebrows:

melm
29-03-2014, 14:48

Havent seen any Oddfellows recently:yum:

Dundee biscuits thats a new one for me:dontknow:

Madre
29-03-2014, 14:52
Mint Cracknel Texan Bars and Dibdabs

marbro8
29-03-2014, 15:21
Havent seen any Oddfellows recently:yum:

Dundee biscuits thats a new one for me:dontknow:they were made in scotland and they were about 3 inches in diameter, shortbread covered in chocolate:yum:, i think the company that made them was sold and they stopped making them in the 1970's:mad:

melm
29-03-2014, 15:37
they were made in scotland and they were about 3 inches in diameter, shortbread covered in chocolate:yum:, i think the company that made them was sold and they stopped making them in the 1970's:mad:

Just googled them they look like a large chocolate digestive biscuit. We didnt have a tuck shop at our school:eyebrows::crying2:

Looks like you can still buy them from a company in Yorkshire..........not good for the diet tho':nono:

blondie
29-03-2014, 16:07
Lvely wee sweet shop in Largs we always visit. Our favs are cherry lips, floral gems, winter mixture, lucky tatties, frying pans and my fav licquorice tablets. Have never heard of the Dundee ones , sorry. OH maintains the drawer at the cabinet beside my computer is a squirrels nest, full of junk which I know I should not be eating!!!

marbro8
29-03-2014, 20:14
Just googled them they look like a large chocolate digestive biscuit. We didnt have a tuck shop at our school:eyebrows::crying2:

Looks like you can still buy them from a company in Yorkshire..........not good for the diet tho':nono:where in yorkshire?

Tshirt
29-03-2014, 21:52
where in yorkshire?

Try the Rose Covered Cottage .......:tongue::whistle:

melm
30-03-2014, 16:56
where in yorkshire?

Have a look at Avenue Bakery online who sell your biscuits........they are also on facebook.

Another one I came across was Cottage Cookies in Darwen Lancs.

Going to put the kettle on and have a chocolate biscuit:eyebrows:

marbro8
30-03-2014, 18:48
Have a look at Avenue Bakery online who sell your biscuits........they are also on facebook.

Another one I came across was Cottage Cookies in Darwen Lancs.

Going to put the kettle on and have a chocolate biscuit:eyebrows:ordered some thanks:yum:;)

melm
30-03-2014, 18:52
ordered some thanks:yum:;)

Hope they are still as good as you remember:pray:

marbro8
30-03-2014, 19:19
Hope they are still as good as you remember:pray:as long as they have stuck to the original recipe they should be;)

Angusjim
31-03-2014, 11:08

Glad to see the 5:2 diet is still in your mind:doh: Dundee biscuits never heard of them :dontknow:

Malteser Monkey
31-03-2014, 13:00
Dundee biscuits thats a new one for me:dontknow:

Dundee biscuits never heard of them :dontknow:

And you call yourselves Scots:cheeky:

marbro8
31-03-2014, 16:25
Glad to see the 5:2 diet is still in your mind:doh: Dundee biscuits never heard of them :dontknow:doin ok mate lost 10 lbs now;), and the bicky's are for the non diet days:lol: oh and i took the sweets to my wifes workplace;)

melm
31-03-2014, 18:22
And you call yourselves Scots:cheeky:

we're all going round to Marboro's to taste them:eyebrows: you coming?

Malteser Monkey
01-04-2014, 09:36
we're all going round to Marboro's to taste them:eyebrows: you coming?

Ohhh yes please :yum:

Ecky Thump
07-03-2015, 13:47
One that Angusjim will remember and if you look carefully you will see Malteser Monkey in the video........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uO9aeERILI