PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone offer any advice on visiting the other Canary Islands?

Sal
30-06-2011, 22:05
Having just returned from a fantastic three week holiday in Los Cris, we are feeling a bit down and thinking of booking a sneaky week away in October. :(

As we have found in the past that one week is never enough in Tenerife, we are thinking of trying one of the other Canary Islands and have been looking at Gran Canaria, but don't know any of the regions. ???

Can anyone offer some advice please? :airplane:

bonitatime
30-06-2011, 22:17
Haven't been for several year but used to like the Puerto Rico area.
The mogan harbour is lovely. Always thought that Maspalomas was too big.
Las Palmas is a city we really enjoy to visit for the weekend, there is a beach in the front of the city.
We are going to Taurito later in the year so will comment when we have been.

Santiago
30-06-2011, 22:22
Having just returned from a fantastic three week holiday in Los Cris, we are feeling a bit down and thinking of booking a sneaky week away in October. :(

As we have found in the past that one week is never enough in Tenerife, we are thinking of trying one of the other Canary Islands and have been looking at Gran Canaria, but don't know any of the regions. ???

Can anyone offer some advice please? :airplane:

Hi Sal, went to Gran Canaria once and didn't like it, so went again a few years later in case we were being unfair, and didn't like it even more than the first time. Also spent a couple of weeks in Lanzarote several years ago and would never go back. Why not try La Gomera or La Palma if you want sunshine and peace and quiet? Or, as another option, go north to Puerto de la Cruz, it's lovely up there and very different from the south of Tenerife. (Also, if you really hated it you could always go back down to the south!).

AL JAY
30-06-2011, 22:31
I have been a few times Sal, the main resorts are Playa del ingles and Peurto Rico, and while there we took a ferry to Puerto Mogan a lovely little place, and we also went to a market on the ferry to Arguineguin, Amadores beach just past Puerto Rico was lovely and had a nice feel to it, Forum member Christa lives in GC and is probably the best person to speak to.

kieraj
30-06-2011, 23:06
we love it in Gran canaria, the best place to stay is the marina suites in puerto rico, look on trip advisor, its right on the harbour with lovely views, must admit the town itself is a wee bit rundown, but the surrounding areas are lovely, one day trip worth doing is teror also mogan is worth a trip, in fact from puerto to mogan there are lots of lovely places to see. Amadores is a lovely beach day and is a nice 20 min walk from puerto. Sometimes you have to look beyond the tourist areas to see the true island. My daughter lived there for a while and worked in the centre, which for night life was not bad, we didn't like it at the top of the valley the Europa centre, but we are all different, anyway have a look on trip advisor at the hotels, just remembered another apartment we stayed at the porto nova which was 2 mins from the harbour, best advice stay at the bottom near the harbour as all the hotels etc are built into the hills and it is very steep.

Sylla
30-06-2011, 23:44
Hi Sal ....

Gran Canary is a beautiful Island especially if you go inland already mentioned the town of Teror ... also the Mirador de Bandama ...I used to live there in Las Palmas and I loved it , it is worth a visit , and see the old part Vegueta ....see this link .. and put it on wide screen ...

http://www.slideshare.net/flanlamilez/casco-histrico-las-palmas-de-gran-canaria

When I was there the south had not been developed and I must say compared to Tenerife , I don't like the way they have developed it ...but there are nice places and I suppose we shouldn't compare . Mogan already mentioned is lovely and what it has got going for it , is the wonderful beaches in the south and in Las Palmas , the miles long Playa de las Canteras ...

When we went back a few years ago we stayed in Las Palmas and the later in Playa de San Agustin in the Don Gregory hotel ....

Santiago's idea is good too if you haven't already been to the north ...

christa
01-07-2011, 00:25
Hi Sal, went to Gran Canaria once and didn't like it, so went again a few years later in case we were being unfair, and didn't like it even more than the first time. Also spent a couple of weeks in Lanzarote several years ago and would never go back. Why not try La Gomera or La Palma if you want sunshine and peace and quiet? Or, as another option, go north to Puerto de la Cruz, it's lovely up there and very different from the south of Tenerife. (Also, if you really hated it you could always go back down to the south!).

Ok, as I live in GC I feel I have to ask as to why you don't like it, as you haven't actually specified. When you went back a few years later??? can you remember what it was that you didn't like?
It really doesn't bother me, as obviously I love it otherwise I wouldn't be living here, but for the folks who have never been, it might be useful info for them in case
they are thinking of going there.
Yes, there are very touristic resorts, Puerto Rico and Playa del Ingles being the main ones. I agree, a bit run down/stuck in the '80's, but very popular with the folk who love that sort of thing (a bit like Las Americas really). There are also areas comparable to the Fanabe/ del duque area of Tenerife such as Meloneras, also the beautiful Amadores and Playa Mogan to name but a few.
There are some superb scenic places to be found just a little inland, Santa Brigida being my favourite, also the capital Las Palmas, is a fantastic city for a day out,
or Las Canteras Beach if you just want to chill. I find the locals here a lot friendlier, more laid back. Whether that is down to the Scandinavian influx which without these guys, the island would be a whole lot quieter. Horses for courses as they say, just come over, check it out, what have you got to lose?

onelegnofeet
01-07-2011, 10:35
we love it in Gran canaria, the best place to stay is the marina suites in puerto rico, look on trip advisor, its right on the harbour with lovely views, must admit the town itself is a wee bit rundown, but the surrounding areas are lovely, one day trip worth doing is teror also mogan is worth a trip, in fact from puerto to mogan there are lots of lovely places to see. Amadores is a lovely beach day and is a nice 20 min walk from puerto. Sometimes you have to look beyond the tourist areas to see the true island. My daughter lived there for a while and worked in the centre, which for night life was not bad, we didn't like it at the top of the valley the Europa centre, but we are all different, anyway have a look on trip advisor at the hotels, just remembered another apartment we stayed at the porto nova which was 2 mins from the harbour, best advice stay at the bottom near the harbour as all the hotels etc are built into the hills and it is very steep.

I must agree with you ,marina suites is a great hotel sited on the Marina the pool over looks the sea .Also along that stretch of the Puerto nova area of Puerto Rico is Marosol ,both no more than 5 mins from Puerto rico beach ,though i do prefer Amadores with its pure white sand which was brought in from Mexico .These hotels are a 10 min walk from the Commercial Centre ,with its array of shops bars and restaurants .The other area is the Europa centre high at the top of the hillsides of Puerto rico .This resort is great as most hotels have fantastic views as the hotels are built in tiers down the hillsides ,no high rise so you get views of either of the 2 beaches ,seaviews ,port or maina or over the town with sea views in the distance .Though many say its not for anyone with walking problems but i disagree provided you use the Taxis up and down the resort (3/4 euros ) and save yourself for the flat area at the bottom its great .
Puerto Mogan ,also know as Little Venice to many ,is a great resort to chill and relax in .its small no over the top bars clubs etc .Most places restaurants bars etc close around 11pm.so its a good nights sleep .Best hotel there imo The Cordial .
Be aware fridays in Mogan is market days ,so if markets and lots of tourists arent your thing then that just might be a day to hop on the ferry round to Puerto Rico (approx 10 euros return ) or the local bus (just under 2 euros ).Many people flock from the other resorts on the ferries ,local buses and organised trips ,but you can just sit at the marina at a bar and people watch
It was originally a small fishing village but its been tastefully built up ,on my first visit i thought it had been around for years in the quaitness of its buildings in fact it was only 2 years old at that time .I dont know of a place in Tenerife to compare it to ,not saying there isnt maybe i've just not found it yet .
Inland of Gran Canaria there are some great villages and towns though you can get to them on local transport often its up to Las Palmas first and get connections from there ,even better if you hire a car and go to places like San Bartolome de Tirajana ,santa Lucia ,Tejeda,Teror .

Playa Ingles not my personel cup of tea ,but not to pull it down .Its vast ,sprawling ,and much seems like another Benidorm ,but nicer in its way .;

Hope this helps Sal .........................

Sal
01-07-2011, 11:01
Thank you all for your informative posts and especially to Sylla for the amazing slides.
So far we have looked into either Puerto Rico or Mogan, but it seems private rentals are few and far between - or am I looking at the wrong site?

Cruise
01-07-2011, 11:01
Hi, We stayed at Los Meloneras H10 hotel.....fantastic resort , right on the beach, swimming pools, spa, great food, etc loved it and did a day trip into Las Palmas....really enjoyed it..

Sal
01-07-2011, 11:10
Does anyone know of the Bora Bora apartments in Puerto Rico?

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/canaries/c1019.htm

dokgolf
01-07-2011, 11:41
Gran Canaria
We tend to stay away from concrete jungle resorts so here are a few of our favourites.

We have stayed 3 times in the Terrezamar Aparthotel in Puerto Rico. Without doubt, the best tourist complex we've ever been to. 5 min walk from commercial centre ( yet far enough away from the noise), 3 pools, 2 bars, security patrolled at night, very safe, great entertainment.
We have also stayed in Puerto de Mogan. Absolutely stunning resort. They call it "Little Venice" No nightclubs or bars with loud music, but you can sit back and people-watch in front of the marina. The bars generally wont close until you run out of money!

Fuerteventura
Not as much to do and see on this island compared to Tenerife or Gran Canaria but perfect if you want a relaxing holiday.
We have a place in Caleta de Fuste, a purpose built resort. Very safe for families and kids with a good mix of bars/restaurants. There is a marina and man made beach here and a couple of decent golf courses. If you have teenage kids and/or want a lively holiday yourselves, I would recommend Puerto Rico.
( S'one above mentioned the Marina Suites in P. Rico. This place is also stunning though a little expensive compared to the Terraza Mar)

ali marshall
01-07-2011, 12:37
I have visted gran canaria(puerto rico) twice and did not rate it.The beach is man made and not very nice and our hotel was based at the top of a hil,whichmany are.Lanzarote found the beaches were nice and plenty to do.

My favourite is fuereteventura by a long shot.Since we have lived here we have been there 4 times and off again this month.We stay in correlaejo and the beaches are breath taking.So different to tenerife.Very relaxing but there is plenty of bars and restaurants to vist and the private apartment we stay on is on a complex runned by thomas cook.They had entertainment day and night for all ages and to be honest we spent most evening on the complex as the entertainment was so good.Great cmplex for kids as well.The have the sister complex across the road more for couples if you prefer it more quiet.There is also a water park 5 minutes away from the complex we stay in.

Been many places abroad ,even been barbados and i found the beach in fuereteventura beats barbados beach.If you like any links for the complex we stay in or some photos let me know.

junglejim
01-07-2011, 12:57
Have you considered the Thomson cruise which does all the main Islands ( but sadly not La Gomera) in a week , so you get to see them all ? We did it a couple of years ago and thought it was great value and got to see all different aspects of canaries .

Sal
01-07-2011, 16:11
Been many places abroad ,even been barbados and i found the beach in fuereteventura beats barbados beach.If you like any links for the complex we stay in or some photos let me know.

Yes please!

ali marshall
01-07-2011, 16:40
640 the beaches are very wide and for many km,the sea is beautifull many different colors of blue.It is very breath taking.

Zara
01-07-2011, 17:23
GC not my cup of tea, a lot of places in the main resorts looked quite run down and in need of updating. I did this report a while ago on a visit we had there http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187471-i457-k2848784-Trip_Report-Gran_Canaria_Canary_Islands.html The friend we went with said you will hate it it is nothing like home (Tenerife) but I thought after reading so much about it she was probably exaggerating - she wasn´t in fact she was spot on, on reflection I wouldn´t go back unless I got an amazing deal and just wanted to lounge around a pool in the sun - Oh I can do that here :crazy:

Sal
01-07-2011, 17:49
Now looking at Fuerteventura - thanks to Ali!!!

popsybear
01-07-2011, 18:20
just got back from corralejo and it was lovely. Dont stay ainclusive as there lots of really good restaurants around the port area.

Sal
01-07-2011, 19:24
just got back from corralejo and it was lovely. Dont stay ainclusive as there lots of really good restaurants around the port area.

We always get private rentals in Tenerife, so hope to do the same in other islands.........with a little advice from forum members! :)

ali marshall
01-07-2011, 19:50

I agree,there many restaurants wakiki at the beach front is nice,you can either sit in or actually eat out on the beach and like popsybear said around the port area,has a very spanish feel to the port area.

The complex i recommend also do a meal ticket for 10 euro,its a buffet style eat as much as you like.Many choices as well frm salads,soup,pastas,meats and of course desserts.We ate in the restaurant a couple of times as my youngest ate free,and being so small he just picked really so it saved us money rather than paying for a kids meal that would be half eaten.

Also where the large beach is 10 minutes walk is the sand dunes,well worth the walk,my kids loved them,thought it was great rolling down them.One thing for sure you wont be fighting for a space on the beach,which makes a nice change.

Sal
01-07-2011, 20:05
We have seen lots of lovely apartments in Corralejo and reasonably priced too - cheaper than Los Cristianos!
What is Caleta De Fuste like?

ali marshall
01-07-2011, 20:43
I did not fancy caleta de fuste ,apparently it is more busy,the beach is man made,if you google both resorts will find out information on both.We stick to correlajo as we look for something different to tenerife,nice to have some change.

http://www.pbase.com/aviator/image/39773763 picture of the beach at caleta de fueste,there i just googled it for you,as you can see correlajo beach so much nicer.

Added after 2 minutes:

Try fuerteventura.com lists all the different resorts and what they are like,thats how i chose first time we went ,spending hours reading up on all the resorts lol

Sal
01-07-2011, 21:05
Yes, looking at photos Correlajo looks much nicer! Have to check availability on apartments.

dokgolf
02-07-2011, 00:03
Correlajo is busier than Caleta (imo). It gets a more European clientele. If its beaches you want then Fuerte is the place. It has the best ones in the Europe ( again imo)! Hope you enjoy wherever you go :crossfingers:

Sal
02-07-2011, 20:46
Thanks guys for all the helpful posts! It now looks like it will be Correlajo in Fuerteventura. Lots of apartments still available and very reasonably priced! Cheap flights available with Ryanair, so all we need now is somebody to look after our two cats while we are away!

Any volunteers? ;)

Santiago
02-07-2011, 22:37
Ok, as I live in GC I feel I have to ask as to why you don't like it, as you haven't actually specified. When you went back a few years later can you remember what it was that you didn't like?
It really doesn't bother me, as obviously I love it otherwise I wouldn't be living here, but for the folks who have never been, it might be useful info for them in case they are thinking of going there.

Sorry if I offended you Christa. The first time we visited we stayed between Playa del Ingles and Maspalomas and felt the whole area was rather run down. We didn't think much of the built up areas but quite liked the beach at Maspalomas. The second time we considered staying in the south but there was so much construction going on down there that we opted again for Playa del Ingles. We stayed near the golf course which was quite pleasant although the accommodation was poor, (and quite expensive), and noted that Playa del Ingles was even more run down than previously. We did travel round the island but, compared with our visits to Tenerife, just didn't like much of it. Maybe, had we known someone like you, we would have had a happier experience. However, it may just be that Tenerife is the one place we really enjoy!!

christa
02-07-2011, 23:08
Ok, as I live in GC I feel I have to ask as to why you don't like it, as you haven't actually specified. When you went back a few years later can you remember what it was that you didn't like?
It really doesn't bother me, as obviously I love it otherwise I wouldn't be living here, but for the folks who have never been, it might be useful info for them in case they are thinking of going there.

Sorry if I offended you Christa. The first time we visited we stayed between Playa del Ingles and Maspalomas and felt the whole area was rather run down. We didn't think much of the built up areas but quite liked the beach at Maspalomas. The second time we considered staying in the south but there was so much construction going on down there that we opted again for Playa del Ingles. We stayed near the golf course which was quite pleasant although the accommodation was poor, (and quite expensive), and noted that Playa del Ingles was even more run down than previously. We did travel round the island but, compared with our visits to Tenerife, just didn't like much of it. Maybe, had we known someone like you, we would have had a happier experience. However, it may just be that Tenerife is the one place we really enjoy!!

Hi Santiago
Thanks for your reply, and I do agree with you that Playa del Ingles is run down/stuck in the 80's. Maybe its been a while since you were here, as there is not much construction going on around the south, or maybe I just don't notice anymore!!! :ashamed:

Tenerife is lovely, and I'm so pleased that you enjoy your time spent there. As your username is Santiago, am I correct in assuming that you particularly enjoy that side of Tenerife? Its not an area I am too familiar with, however, am aware that it is quieter/not so built up as other resorts on the island.

onelegnofeet
03-07-2011, 09:56
I think at the moment the biggest construction in the south of GC is the autopista link between Puerto Rico and Puerto Mogan ,i just hope this does spoil the place ................

ALI ,so you dont like GC ,fine ,but you aint got a Primark YET !!!!:raspberry2::raspberry2:

Santiago
03-07-2011, 14:58
Hi Santiago
Thanks for your reply, and I do agree with you that Playa del Ingles is run down/stuck in the 80's. Maybe its been a while since you were here, as there is not much construction going on around the south, or maybe I just don't notice anymore!!! :ashamed:

Tenerife is lovely, and I'm so pleased that you enjoy your time spent there. As your username is Santiago, am I correct in assuming that you particularly enjoy that side of Tenerife? Its not an area I am too familiar with, however, am aware that it is quieter/not so built up as other resorts on the island.

No, actually I am a Southie and like the area from Los Cristianos to about Parque Santiago 2. I chose the name Santiago from the only place I ever visited (sort of) on the Spanish mainland - Santiago de Compostela. However, have been staying in Tenerife on and off since 1974 and have travelled over most of the island and really like all of it and I fully intend to continue to do so even when staggering around with my zimmer. Maybe I'll find some time when I retire to visit GC again to revise my opinion.

ali marshall
03-07-2011, 20:11
I think at the moment the biggest construction in the south of GC is the autopista link between Puerto Rico and Puerto Mogan ,i just hope this does spoil the place ................

ALI ,so you dont like GC ,fine ,but you aint got a Primark YET !!!!:raspberry2::raspberry2:

Ha ha thats it rub it in lol,I dont hate Gc but i have visted Lanzarote,fuerteventura and of course live here,but i like Fuerteventura as is so different to the other islands.One thing i noticed in fuerteventura is there is no high rise buildings as well.

Yes least gran canaria has primark there though.;)

dokgolf
03-07-2011, 20:35

Thats a shame cos people will now miss out on the lovely drive from P. Rico to P. Mogan especially the bit from Puerto Rico to Amadores.

christa
03-07-2011, 21:55
Thats a shame cos people will now miss out on the lovely drive from P. Rico to P. Mogan especially the bit from Puerto Rico to Amadores.

Not really, Motorway driving is not compulsary,the coast road will still be open.

onelegnofeet
03-07-2011, 22:56
I still think the best way from Puerto Rico to Puerto Mogan is by the ferry from the port ,Linues salmon ,painted green and white .Their 10.30 am and 12.30pm ferries go into the dolphin zone instead of straight into Mogan ,and its at no extra cost ....................

dokgolf
04-07-2011, 09:57
I still think the best way from Puerto Rico to Puerto Mogan is by the ferry from the port ,Linues salmon ,painted green and white .Their 10.30 am and 12.30pm ferries go into the dolphin zone instead of straight into Mogan ,and its at no extra cost ....................

Very true but at 38 euro return for a family, not the cheapest.

Sal
08-07-2011, 19:32
Flights booked, villa rented - we're off to Fuerteventura end of September! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

DaveRF
08-07-2011, 19:34
Flights booked, villa rented - we're off to Fuerteventura end of September! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Nice one Sal. You'll have a ball I'm sure x

Angusjim
10-07-2011, 13:45

We also just booked we are off mid August thanks to Ali Marshall for information about apartments etc :lots-jumping::surf:

Sal
07-10-2011, 19:40
Flew back in from Fuerte late last night.

Really liked Fuerteventura - some amazing scenery across the sand dunes in Corralejo.
Will certainly go again, but next time rent somewhere closer to town. Our villa was out of town, so we had either a long walk down a footpath in really high temperatures or taxis. We did the walk a couple of times, then resorted to taxis because of the heat!

Now we have to decide if the next island will be Lanzarote or Gran Canaria!

Margaretta
07-10-2011, 21:37
Complaining Sal....where are the photos?????:wink: