PDA

View Full Version : Teide eruption imminent?

Sunlover
01-06-2011, 22:14
I am so glad that the forum didn't die it's lovely to be here with all you people, nearly as good as snuggling in a duvet, but just to really make me feel at home, can we resurrect this thread?

(No serious answers though please!) :lol::lol:

Sal
01-06-2011, 22:17
I am so glad that the forum didn't die it's lovely to be here with all you people, nearly as good as snuggling in a duvet, but just to really make me feel at home, can we resurrect this thread?

(No serious answers though please!) :lol::lol:

Well, I for one could do with some pumice to remove this hard skin on my feet...............bring it on! :crazy:

doreen
01-06-2011, 22:17
I think you would help the Tourist Industry by asking the Mods to add a " ? " to the thread title :)

Sunlover
01-06-2011, 22:21
Perhaps you're right Doreen, would not know how though, should have started with 'have you heard the one about'

CIM
02-06-2011, 00:24
Imminent in geological terms perhaps?

CMEdinburgh
02-06-2011, 18:18
Imminent in geological terms perhaps?

Exactly!

In geological terms a new eruption of Teide is imminent. It is due any millennium now.

However, we must also consider:

Yellowstone Park will erupt sometime, as the dome is already rising slowly indicating the magma chamber is filling up again. This eruption will have a major effect on what is now the USA,
Parts of California will fall into the sea after the San Andreas fault kicks off again
A HUGE part of La Palma will collapse into the sea and the resulting tsunami will devastate the eastern seaboard of the USA (or not - maybe the BBC exaggerated this story).
Ketla and the other volcanoes in Iceland (all in one string, and now all with full magma chambers) will erupt causing an ash cloud which will affect European agriculture in a rather negative way
Krakatoa will blow again

So I think the upcoming, inevitable Teide eruption is not really a major problem .......

Harmonicaman
02-06-2011, 18:24
It would make quite a sizeable hole I should think...
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/picoelteideandlascaadas.jpg

Margaretta
02-06-2011, 19:59
Thanks for the geology info, CMEdinburgh.
Harmonicaman that is a stunning photo!
Well we're not worried: if it does erupt, apparently the lava will flow Garachico way so we can just enjoy the view!!!:lots-jumping:

9PLUS
02-06-2011, 20:06
This is being discussed on a international secret forum

HAARP was tested yesterday, 3 very important miscalculations were made

Did you see all the chemtrails over L.A, L.C and the sea between Tenerife & La Gomera?

visible signs so far are a complete change in pressure and cloud formations or the lack of

theedge92
02-06-2011, 21:59
Isnt it like 2 years overdue :pray:

CMEdinburgh
03-06-2011, 08:35
Isnt it like 2 years overdue :pray:

If only it were that easy.

The "timetables" for eruptions are at best guesses based on history, but the reality is that there are far too many variables for us to know with any certainty. As plates move and other factors affect the build-up of pressure, the best we seem to be able to say is that "sometime, something" may happen. Probably.

If you want to get all scientific, go see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction_of_volcanic_activity

Stoney
03-06-2011, 09:59
That explains the bad eggs smell near Mare Verde, I thought the drains were blocked again.

Fred Perry
03-06-2011, 11:09
I took this picture on my way home last night as I noticed a bright light towards the mountains. I am sure there is nothing to worry about though.

http://i52.tinypic.com/34q5oyh.jpg

Zara
03-06-2011, 12:31
Well we're not worried: if it does erupt, apparently the lava will flow Garachico way so we can just enjoy the view!!!:lots-jumping:

:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughin g: How to make friends and influence people. :ban:

Harmonicaman
03-06-2011, 17:36
This is being discussed on a international secret forum

HAARP was tested yesterday, 3 very important miscalculations were made

Did you see all the chemtrails over L.A, L.C and the sea between Tenerife & La Gomera?

visible signs so far are a complete change in pressure and cloud formations or the lack of
I thought the HAARP testing station was in Alaska? It seems they are getting blamed for a lot of natural disasters for shooting that high frequency doodah into the ionosphere.

9PLUS
03-06-2011, 20:54
I thought the HAARP testing station was in Alaska? It seems they are getting blamed for a lot of natural disasters for shooting that high frequency doodah into the ionosphere.

They're all over now H

Heffalumpy
06-06-2011, 21:14
Hmmmmm

2004 seismic crisis; January 2005 escalation in monitored parameters at Tiede

Juan Carlos Carracedo notified Bulletin editors that seismic activity in Tenerife during April and May 2004 was not followed by any volcanic activity. More than 200 earthquakes from magnitude 1 to 3 were recorded, but residents felt only three of them. Most of the epicenters were localized around the NW rift zone of Tenerife and in the strait between Gran Canaria and Tenerife. The crisis was probably related to dike emplacement at 3-4 km depth.

On 12 January 2005, an increase in unrest at Tenerife's Teide volcano over the previous 2 weeks was reported. Carbon dioxide emissions rose from 75 to 354 tons per day, and hydrogen sulfide emissions rose from 35 to 152 tons per day. Seismic activity remained elevated under the volcano. Fumaroles increased in pressure, and emitted sounds. No significant ground deformation was observed.

In a recent article in Eos, scientists from Spain and The Netherlands (Garcia et al., 2006), described a monitoring program for the Canary Islands. They noted that the Canary Islands started to show signs of seismo-volcanic activity at the end of 2003. In spring 2004, there was a significant increase in the number of seismic events (a mixture of regional, volcano-tectonic, and volcanic events such as tremor and long-period signals) located beneath Tenerife Island. The authors also noted an increase of fumarolic activity, an increase in carbon dioxide emissions in the NW part of the island, and changes in the gravimetric field on the N flank. After several seismic events had been felt by the population, the first alert level was declared by the civil protection division of the local government.

The volcano has a history of large eruptions destructive to populated areas. The authors reported that in 1992, the International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior (IAVCEI) identified Teide, with its high-risk level, as one of the European Laboratory Volcanoes, thus receiving special consideration from the European Union concerning research proposals.

In the spring of 2005, the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC) initiated the TEGETEIDE project (Geophysical and Geodetic Techniques for the Study of the Teide-Pico Active Volcanic Area). It will monitor the seismicity of the volcano and include background noise analysis. The system's main goal is to detect precursors to a potentially dangerous eruptive episode at an early stage. The scheme is to use signals in both the time and the spectral domains.

Facts about Mt Tiede

The large triangular island of Tenerife is composed of a complex of overlapping Miocene-to-Quaternary stratovolcanoes that have remained active into historical time. The NE-trending Cordillera Dorsal volcanic massif joins the Las Caņadas volcano on the SW side of Tenerife with older volcanoes, creating the largest volcanic complex of the Canary Islands.
Controversy surrounds the formation of the dramatic 10 x 17 km Las Caņadas caldera, which is partially filled by 3715-m-high Teide stratovolcano, the highest peak in the Atlantic Ocean.
The origin of the caldera has been variably considered to be due to collapse following multiple major explosive eruptions or as a result of a massive landslide (in a manner similar to the earlier formation of the massive La Orotava and Guimar valleys), or a combination of the two processes.
The most recent stage of activity beginning in the late Pleistocene included the construction of the Pico Viejo and Teide edifices.
Tenerife was perhaps observed in eruption by Christopher Columbus, and several flank vents on the Canary Island's most active volcano have been active during historical time.

slodgedad
06-06-2011, 21:18
Answering your original question in a word, Yes.

When? Is the crucial question.

Heffalumpy
06-06-2011, 21:21
What dates do have free in your diary, maybe we can book an eruption in? :idea:

Should be due any time now!

TenerifeFanatic
06-06-2011, 21:23
Hope it doesn't happen at all. but especially not within the next three weeks!!