PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes T2 - 600 calorie a day diet

Balcony
01-07-2011, 17:29
I was intrigued by a medical survey that suggested that a 600 calorie-a-day diet for 8 weeks could reverse T2 diabetes and set the body's insulin production back to normal.

Having been (imho rashly) diagnosed with T2 it was of course something I wanted to embrace, but I've never done any form of dieting and 600 calories is about a third of the calories I probably take in. Ringing the diabetic nurse at my docs I got the usual ooos and aahhs, more negative that supportive.

Has anyone any thoughts on this concept, or experience of it?

doreen
01-07-2011, 18:05
Here's the Press Release from the Research Team in Newcastle
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/diet-reverses-type-2-diabetes

My first thoughts are that it is extremely low calorie - years ago I read of many claims of successfully controlling Diabetes Type 2 when on the Atkins diet, which seems to be the complete opposite theory ???

These are the words of one of the subjects on the trial - aged 67

“When my doctor mentioned the trial I thought I would give it a go as it might help me and other diabetics. I came off my tablets and had three diet shakes a day and some salad or vegetables but it was very, very difficult and I’m not sure I’d have done it without the support of my wife who went on a diet alongside me.

“At first the hunger was quite severe and I had to distract myself with something else – walking the dog, playing golf – or doing anything to occupy myself and take my mind off food but I lost an astounding amount of weight in a short space of time.

“At the end of the trial, I was told my insulin levels were normal and after six years, I no longer needed my diabetes tablets. Still today, 18 months on, I don’t take them. It’s astonishing really that a diet – hard as it was – could change my health so drastically. After six years of having diabetes I can tell the difference - I feel better, even walking round the golf course is easier.”

karinagal
01-07-2011, 18:49
Not much use for me - I'm insulin resistant - still producing insulin but my body doesn't let it work properly.. Or so I've been told!

onelegnofeet
01-07-2011, 19:20
Type 2 also known as "Age OnSet "diabetes can as it says come on through those in advancing years ,or those that are or have become heavier in weight ,So if its the later i can see the benefits of the 600 calories a day which may reduce the need for tablets .But i feel it will not help those who are just advancing in years (i like that better than saying bloody old !!) Sometimes its just that your body doesnt make enough insulin for the body mass .I have even known Type2 diabetics be put on insulin to help ,and then taken off it in later stages .Its not always forever .
As with everything relating to diabetes i certainly recommend a visit to the doctor better still a diabetic consultant for advice

karinagal
01-07-2011, 23:37
Type 2 also known as "Age OnSet "diabetes can as it says come on through those in advancing years ,or those that are or have become heavier in weight ,So if its the later i can see the benefits of the 600 calories a day which may reduce the need for tablets .But i feel it will not help those who are just advancing in years (i like that better than saying bloody old !!) Sometimes its just that your body doesnt make enough insulin for the body mass .I have even known Type2 diabetics be put on insulin to help ,and then taken off it in later stages .Its not always forever .
As with everything relating to diabetes i certainly recommend a visit to the doctor better still a diabetic consultant for advice

Agreed. 600 calories a day is a starvation diet and there's no evidence yet to say what the long term effects of it might be.

slodgedad
01-07-2011, 23:49
I've never heard of this but I'm beginning to believe there's some sense in it.

Since OH had her stroke and has been on a strict fat free, salt free diet, which I have been doing as well for ease, my levels have evened out.

I have lost a fair bit of weight and my levels have never been so good

Balcony
03-07-2011, 08:12
I control mine through diet, so avoid tablets, but the nurse says I might have to go on a low dose, after a reading 3 months ago, but a reading just recently just had the doc mark it as 'fine'. I'm like many, hate tablets.

This latest diet caught my eye cos the research came from a respected source (or so I think) and as well as being keen to avoid another tablet, honestly, I could use some weight-loss too - though the ball is really in my court as we do eat well, but a lot and regular (not excessive) alcohol probably doesn't help.

We're due in the Lake District soon and because of the physical part of being up there I don't wantto start the diet yet, but I'm currently trying to adapt what I eat, so that on return I will do the 600 calories a day for the 8 weeks. I found an Excel-based programme that has a database of calories; sadly, American foods, but you can add your own local items, but what I like is that whilst you add the calories you can net the intake by virtue of the exercise you do and there is a useful database of various exercise forms (inc. gardening) which tells you how many calories you expend.

To get this neat little program go to http://www.smartcalorie.com/mdcd.html then click on the 'MDCD Downloads Page'

canarybird
03-07-2011, 12:58
I understood from the BBC news item that I watched about this diet that it was experimental and done under controlled conditions at Newcastle University (mentioned I see now on the link above) so it would never be advisable for someone to try and do this on their own at home.

A doctor involved in this experiment commented that it needed much more testing, especially where number of daily calories were concerned, to see if the same results could be obtained when the subject took in more than the 600 calories used in the experiment.

Definitely not something to try on your own or you could do yourself some serious damage.

Here's a quote from the following link: (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13887909)

"It offers great hope for many people with diabetes, although it must be said that not everyone will find it possible to stick to the extremely low-calorie diet used in this study."

Dr Iain Frame, director of research at Diabetes UK, which funded the study, said the diet was not an easy fix.

"Such a drastic diet should only be undertaken under medical supervision. Despite being a very small trial, we look forward to future results particularly to see whether the reversal would remain in the long term."

Canarybird

Balcony
03-07-2011, 18:37
In reality, I think the "not everyone will find it possible to stick to the ...low-calorie diet" is key. It doesn't take a genius to work out a. the risk of giving up and b. the risk to normal health, which is why I approached the doctors office. To take in, say, less than a third of normal calorific intake can have unexpected consequences....fainting, for example - not good if it happens half way up a mountain, or riding a bike along a country lane! I think it's essential to put some precaution in place and to listen carefully to what the body is telling you and not get fixated on 'succeeding'.

I'm happy to give this a go, as I know within my timescale etc I have adequate support - yes, determination too, but not blind determination.

Kevin Beacon
13-10-2011, 06:45
Thanks for the information. But it is very difficult to boost up old age people to do any kind of diet. But I really like your information.