PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife estate agents - are they all totally incompetent?

mike in chayofa
01-07-2011, 17:34
As many of you will know MY HOUSE IN CHAYOFA (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?4632-Villa-and-apartment-in-Chayofa-Tenerife) is on the market.

Many of you know that I used to be an estate agent and I have to say that I am totally unsurprised that a lot of them are not selling very much property at the moment.

I took photographs of the house, wrote a description and gave them all my details. I put these folders onto a memory stick and went to six of the best known estate agents at the start of the week. In other words, I've done the initial work for them.

Of the six, my house only appears on one agents website.

One of the agents was so negative about the whole property market that I felt like commiting suicide. He also gave me information that is not correct - this from and 'open and honest' company.

Only one agent actually wanted to come and see it. He was due at 5pm on Wednesday. He cancelled and re-scheduled for 5pm today.

He phoned me to say that he was on his way and despite being given clear instructions of how to get here, he managed to get lost within 20 metres of the house. So, what did he do? Phone me?

Oh no, he went home and phoned me from there to say he couldn't find the house.

All in all, a complete shambles.

Balcony
01-07-2011, 17:42
Likewise we were trying to sell, but gave up on agents for now. None of them seemed interested, emails and phone calls largely unanswered: I think expecting everyone to run to them! Maybe actually having to work for a living scares a lot of them off!

We'll try again when we're out later this year.

Meanwhile, good luck.

tizzywizzy
01-07-2011, 17:45
:wall:You do wonder how these people stay in business.. I wish you lots of luck with selling your house,If I had the money i would love it.

dokgolf
01-07-2011, 17:50
I think the majority of them ( not all) have had it too easy for too long and they don't know/remember what it is like to actually drum up new business.

Debbie_22
01-07-2011, 17:51
I really like that property your selling....2 things - if you move your username will just have no meaning and number 2, defo interested it just hangs in the balance of tonights euromillions. :)

Debbie:fryingpan:

mike in chayofa
01-07-2011, 17:54
if u move ur username will just have no meaning :

I may be selling this house, but what makes you think that I will move from Chayofa :D

BrianT
01-07-2011, 18:16
We were in a restaurant in Los Cristianos in May when an estate agent we had meet a few years ago when he worked as a partner in an estate agents before setting up on his own company came in to the restaurant, he gave us a wave before heading for his table.

Since our return home I have been receiving almost weekly e-mails from him with his latest listed properties.

Maybe they are realising that they need to work now?

Suej
01-07-2011, 18:19
As many of you will know MY HOUSE IN CHAYOFA (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?4632-Villa-and-apartment-in-Chayofa-Tenerife) is on the market.

Many of you know that I used to be an estate agent and I have to say that I am totally unsurprised that a lot of them are not selling very much property at the moment.

I took photographs of the house, wrote a description and gave them all my details. I put these folders onto a memory stick and went to six of the best known estate agents at the start of the week. In other words, I've done the initial work for them.

Of the six, my house only appears on one agents website.

One of the agents was so negative about the whole property market that I felt like commiting suicide. He also gave me information that is not correct - this from and 'open and honest' company.

Only one agent actually wanted to come and see it. He was due at 5pm on Wednesday. He cancelled and re-scheduled for 5pm today.

He phoned me to say that he was on his way and despite being given clear instructions of how to get here, he managed to get lost within 20 metres of the house. So, what did he do? Phone me?

Oh no, he went home and phoned me from there to say he couldn't find the house.

All in all, a complete shambles.

Sounds like these Agents have a serious case of De-motivation syndrome! they need a good kick up the tukhas:eek:

sleepy
01-07-2011, 19:29
I've had a place up for sale almost two years now and in that time have lowered the asking price on numerous occasions.I always send the agents clarification when doing so and 99% of them don't even have the common decency to acknowledge the emails.
So yes,I know what you are up against.

doreen
01-07-2011, 19:32
I sympathise Mike ... the market is really poor at the moment. I've had a property for sale for over two years, extended it, decorated it to the nines and marketed it really hard with agents ... finally, after an unbelievable number of viewings, a contract is due to be signed next week.

tmfkahs
01-07-2011, 19:43
I sympathise Mike ... the market is really poor at the moment. I've had a property for sale for over two years, extended it, decorated it to the nines and marketed it really hard with agents ... finally, after an unbelievable number of viewings, a contract is due to be signed next week.

Think you missed the point Doreen. Its the Agents, Mike has a problem with for now not the market.

Maybe you could give your Agent a thumbs up so Mike could approach someone who might be interested in marketing it?

But, Mike, surely we have the best 2 Agents in the South, as active members of this forum. They would be first on my list. Come on CIM & YG.

mike in chayofa
01-07-2011, 20:05
I sympathise Mike ... the market is really poor at the moment..

OK ... so the market is poor ... but ....

On visiting these agents, there were plenty of staff in the office. They weren't out with clients viewing properties. They weren't investigating leads that they may have, so why has it taken 5 of them the best part of a week to even list my property? (Especially when I have done the work for them!)

mike in chayofa
01-07-2011, 20:06
PS - I hope that your sale goes through smoothly.

Jimandsi
01-07-2011, 20:10
I get the impression that most so called "Estate Agents" in Tenerife have failed to achieve any success elsewhere .....

They were no good at timeshare.

PR ing was too many late nights.

Tour reps have to dress smartly.

Etc, etc, etc.

I know :idea: I'll take a course in bull*****ting people and become an "Estate Agent" ! ! ! Don't need ANY qualifications whatsoever. Just a few scruffy business cards and a Mickey Mouse website. Charge people an absolute fortune for doing sweet FA and see how long I can get away with it :pray:.

Estate Agents - I've sacked smarter people than them :crylaughing:

doreen
01-07-2011, 20:40
Think you missed the point Doreen. Its the Agents, Mike has a problem with for now not the market.

Maybe you could give your Agent a thumbs up so Mike could approach someone who might be interested in marketing it?

But, Mike, surely we have the best 2 Agents in the South, as active members of this forum. They would be first on my list. Come on CIM & YG.

You are right ... in my head I was responding to his bit about one "open & honest" agent's view of the market being so bad - if it is who I guess, they have 56 properties to sell in Chayofa.

conway
01-07-2011, 21:03
Mike I don't really know about this stuff abroad but is it possible for you to advertise your own property on the web, stick up your own for sale board and create your own brochure, like we do in the UK?

Jackie
01-07-2011, 21:09
Even put it on some UK Estate Agents sites. www.rightmove .com list houses etc. abroad, I am sure other members can come up with some more.

jogger321
03-07-2011, 00:44
Presumably because they don't feel some quick money is to be made? One assumes that even given the low calibre of many of the Estate Agents if quick money was to be made they would have listed your property quicker than it takes a ferret down a pair of drain pipes?

OK ... so the market is poor ... but ....

On visiting these agents, there were plenty of staff in the office. They weren't out with clients viewing properties. They weren't investigating leads that they may have, so why has it taken 5 of them the best part of a week to even list my property? (Especially when I have done the work for them!)

fonica
03-07-2011, 07:00
With well over 200 properties on the market in Chayofa and an average of two clients a week looking to buy (anywhere) it would be a foolish estate agent who offered you too much hope.There are good agents about if you ask around.It's a pity Mike didn't mention the one out of six agents who did the job well and on time.

Zara
03-07-2011, 10:34
With well over 200 properties on the market in Chayofa and an average of two clients a week looking to buy (anywhere) it would be a foolish estate agent who offered you too much hope.There are good agents about if you ask around.It's a pity Mike didn't mention the one out of six agents who did the job well and on time.

Unless I have missed something did anyone do the job well?

Has the agent who posted the property on their website been to see it and discuss all the details (there is bound to be something not included in the initial brief), was he the one that promised to visit and then got lost, did he return another time or was it someone else?

reggie
03-07-2011, 11:21
Like anything else, if they think its over priced they wont get excited, just groan when you walk out the door, if you walked in and said, i'm going to be realistic, and price it to sell, then things will move, we all have a story to tell, on property, some lucky some not, human nature, you have a price in your head, and thats it, maybe the germans wanted to be there in that block, in that complex, so you have them by the curly's, well done somebody,

mike in chayofa
03-07-2011, 12:13
..... if it is who I guess, they have 56 properties to sell in Chayofa.

Yes, but of those

1 is a building plot
21 are apartments
18 are town houses priced below my detached bungalow
2 are detached (although one of them is actually sold.

There are 4 townhouses more expensive than my house.
10 detached houses (of which 2 are over 1.000.000€)

So actually, they don't have a lot that compares.

With well over 200 properties on the market in Chayofa

Many are listed whith multiple estate agents and other websites, so the actual figure is much less than that.

it would be a foolish estate agent who offered you too much hope.

It isn't about 'hope', it is about them not being efficient and listing the property. If it isn't on their website, they won't get any enquiries ... thus they CAN'T sell it and get their commission.

My house sale in the UK has been delayed, so if I sell my house here, I will have to move into rented accomodation anyway, so there isn't any urgency.

There are good agents about if you ask around.

That is why I selected the 6 that I did. I used to be an estate agent, so I know a lot of the companies well. However, the performance of these companies is reliant on the staff - who change frequently.

It's a pity Mike didn't mention the one out of six agents who did the job well and on time.

That was CML (who phoned to apologise that it wasn't on the following day)

AL JAY
03-07-2011, 13:07

I think you have missed the point completely, I read it as the complete lethargic and unprofessional conduct of Estate Agents and not the current state of the property market in general.

Can you be so kind to tell me which one you thought had done a good job?

tracey
03-07-2011, 14:50
The agents dont really appear to want to make money here.
We called and emailed dozens of them when we were moving to the island and only got a response from 2.
We had a healthy budget and wanted 2 houses and a shop but still no reply :smack:

KirstyJay
03-07-2011, 15:47
Can you be so kind to tell me which one you thought had done a good job?He did.... In the post directly before yours ;)

AL JAY
03-07-2011, 16:02
He did.... In the post directly before yours ;)

I don't think Mike was too impressed imho ;) and neither would i be!

Added after 6 minutes:

He did.... In the post directly before yours ;)

That was Mike's post,i am referring to fonica and asking her where in the original post did Mike say he was satisfied because i can't see it? Can you?

reggie
03-07-2011, 16:12
Who is CML ?

tmfkahs
03-07-2011, 16:42
Who is CML ?

Crossley, Morfitt & Lennox ( a high, profile Agent) or as I know them ......Crosby, Stills, Nash & Youg

CIM
03-07-2011, 16:58
That is why I selected the 6 that I did. I used to be an estate agent, so I know a lot of the companies well. However, the performance of these companies is reliant on the staff - who change frequently.Thatīs where you went wrong then - the agents you used to know are not the agents they were, things have changed dramatically in the past two years. Too many of them sat on their arses waiting for the business to walk through the front door. Also as someone pointed out, if the price is not mind blowingly good and given that many agents have up to a 1000 properties on their books, they are just not that motivated to take on "yet another property" although reading through your experience, their is little excuse when all the information is provided by the owner.

Not sure writing a thread like this will motivate many of them either! Coming across as a "whinger" or "difficult owner" is not going to help and the title of your thread pretty much offends every agent in Tenerife as it reads as a rhetorical question rather than a literal one.

mike in chayofa
03-07-2011, 17:23
..................Not sure writing a thread like this will motivate many of them either!

No - but you would think that potential commissions of 45.000€ on a sale and a purchase would.

My 'advert' on Tenerife Forum has produced almost 600 hits in less than a week. OK, it's a different ball game I admit.

At the end of the day, I don't need to move and if I don't sell, I will stay where I am.

Coming across as a "whinger" or "difficult owner" is not going to help

I am not 'whinging', I am just stating my experiences to date.

For someone to make two appointments and fail to turn up on both occassions, does not make me a 'difficult' owner' IMHO. I changed my plans twice to accomodate the agent in question.

My house has been used on many occassions by estate agents to show potential customers of similar but unmodernised properties and what can be achieved. I would not say that makes me difficult

CIM
03-07-2011, 17:34
No - but you would think that potential commissions of 45.000€ on a sale and a purchase would.Not really, if it doesnīt look like something that would sell anytime soon then there's nothing to get excited about. Plus, telling them itīs non-negotiable is a big no-no! I have listed and sold at non-negotiable prices but I donīt see anyone doing it - and it can be very difficult and frustrating to try and do so.

I would not say that makes me difficult But an agent reading this thread may see it as such. The thought of you judging, decrying and reporting on every aspect of their service that you are not happy with probably isnīt very appealing. I would have advertised the property on here but would not have passed judgement on every agent in Tenerife in a negative/derogatory manner when it is every agent in Tenerife you need to be appealing to in order to maximise your chances of selling.

At the end of the day, I don't need to move and if I don't sell, I will stay where I am.I tell everyone who enquires about listing "If you donīt need to sell, you wonīt." Reason being they wont accept the offers that are being made. If someone tells me what you have just said (and plenty do) then I probably wont spend the time listing and actively promoting that property. For now, the money is in distressed, motivated and urgent sales, priced below market value. This is what I concentrate on and it has been a very successful strategy so far this year.

tmfkahs
03-07-2011, 17:56
'For now, the money is in distressed, motivated and urgent sales, priced below market value. This is what I concentrate on and it has been a very successful strategy so far this year.'

Just a thought (or maybe this should be on the other 'property prices' thread), the prices that are currently being paid for these properties are the new market value? And the ones that are not selling are ABOVE market value, so will have to reduce their price, become distressed or have their property repossessed to bring them into line with the new market value.

That reads complicated but it sounds like a downward spiral to me. 'We are all doomed Captain Mainwaring, doomed I tell thee'

CIM
03-07-2011, 18:11
I class "below market value" as:
Below a recent valuation
Below the current best price of similar property
Better than other property at the same price

Not quite as simplistic as that but a good starting point.
So far as downward spirals - trigger points are being hit and BMV properties are selling - sometimes in a matter of days. That is pretty much the floor so far as prices go. In general though I'd say about 90% of property listed on the internet is by and large overpriced.

tmfkahs
03-07-2011, 18:26
I class "below market value" as:
Below a recent valuation
Below the current best price of similar property
Better than other property at the same price

Not quite as simplistic as that but a good starting point.
So far as downward spirals - trigger points are being hit and BMV properties are selling - sometimes in a matter of days. That is pretty much the floor so far as prices go. In general though I'd say about 90% of property listed on the internet is by and large overpriced.

Exactly. The new MV is what you are saying is the current BMV which makes 90% of properties AMV.

So then the new BMV must be below the new MV, which was the old BMV a couple of weeks ago, especially when the new BMV becomes common knowledge so the likelihood of anyone buying a property at AMV or even at the current MV, is much reduced.

Didn't get the 'trigger point being hit' mention? Are AK47's and Glocks involved in property sales now? Is that what you mean when you tell Mike that things have changed........seriously!!

Balcony
03-07-2011, 19:00
These type of sites usually do not accept private listings and reserve listings for estate agents. I was trying to do that with our apartment. There's a host of other websites offering to list at a price, but just how successful that method is I remain to be convinced off. Even with your own website you have to reach those interested. You can do something via a Facebook page and paid advertising, but again, is it a right medium?
Even put it on some UK Estate Agents sites. www.rightmove .com list houses etc. abroad, I am sure other members can come up with some more.

doreen
03-07-2011, 19:05
These type of sites usually do not accept private listings and reserve listings for estate agents. I was trying to do that with our apartment. There's a host of other websites offering to list at a price, but just how successful that method is I remain to be convinced off. Even with your own website you have to reach those interested. You can do something via a Facebook page and paid advertising, but again, is it a right medium?

You are an established member here, balcony ... why not at least list it on the forum :)

Jimandsi
03-07-2011, 19:23
Having had similar responses (zilch) from so called "Estate Agents" on several occasions in the UK, I know exactly how you feel Mike and I think that is why I despise these cowboys so much.

I firmly believe that you would get a far more professional and enthusiastic response from a Lookeylookeyman on LC promenade if you offered him €15 for one of his Rolex's.

If fact :idea:, how about asking half a dozen LLMen to wear sandwich boards with your propery details on ? It'll soon go then.

Good luck and "Illegitimi non carborundum".

CIM
03-07-2011, 19:58
Didn't get the 'trigger point being hit' mention? Are AK47's and Glocks involved in property sales now? Is that what you mean when you tell Mike that things have changed........seriously!!

I deal with a lot of investors, people who are only interested in buying property that is priced well below other similar properties. Other buyers (lifestyle buyers for example) have their own ideas of what they are willing to pay for certain types of property in various areas/on various complexes. The "trigger points" are the points at which these people will enter the market and buy.

mike in chayofa
03-07-2011, 20:18
......Other buyers (lifestyle buyers for example) have their own ideas of what they are willing to pay for certain types of property in various areas/on various complexes. The "trigger points" are the points at which these people will enter the market and buy.

Exactly.

This is why I have priced my property at a reasonable price in comparison to others and I will not move on price.

If someone wants to buy a smaller townhouse instead of my detached house, they can go 50 metres up the road. There they will find a selection of overpriced terraced houses with an asking price of up to 140.000€ more than mine. If they get 100.000€ off the asking price, have they got a bargain?

CIM
03-07-2011, 20:28
Exactly.

This is why I have priced my property at a reasonable price in comparison to others and I will not move on price.

If someone wants to buy a smaller townhouse instead of my detached house, they can go 50 metres up the road. There they will find a selection of overpriced terraced houses with an asking price of up to 140.000€ more than mine. If they get 100.000€ off the asking price, have they got a bargain?

Thats what I mean about non-negotiable pricing being very frustrating.
Generally they are not making an offer to bring it into line with what they think its worth they are just making an offer because they think they should - even when it says NON NEGOTIABLE :mad:
I had one punter cancel a viewing after I told him the price was non-negotiable - he told me "its a buyers market so if I cant negotiate Iīm not interested." I asked him how much others were on the same complex and what they average price per m2 was in the area - he had not a clue.... I feel your pain :crazy:

mike in chayofa
03-07-2011, 20:53
----------------I had one punter cancel a viewing after I told him the price was non-negotiable - he told me "its a buyers market so if I cant negotiate Iīm not interested." I asked him how much others were on the same complex and what they average price per m2 was in the area - he had not a clue.... I feel your pain :crazy:

I do understand what you are saying and also the clients that you are catering for ... but ...

I am not about to inflate my asking price to an unrealistic level in order to do a 'deal'- I am an honest person and nothing will change that.

Stupid - I may be, but I would like to move to better myself. I don't need to sell.

CIM
03-07-2011, 21:01
Its nothing to do with honesty, you simply have to be prepared to accept that people will make offers on any private sale whether you mark it as non negotiable or not. I certainly wouldn't suggest increasing your price - otherwise you just wont get viewings.

Like I said I have successfully sold property on a non-negotiable basis (4 in the last 2 months where the price was fixed and during which time 10 or 12 punters made offers which were rejected) so it is certainly possible but it can be very difficult and frustrating. It`s a good thing you dont need to sell really but good luck with it anyways.

reggie
03-07-2011, 21:39
Mike, stick a sign up and sell it yourself, if i wanted to buy on a certain complex, i would go there and ask about, if they see your sign, i'm sure they would call, and if they had half a brain, they would know there not paying an agent €50k, so getting a bargin, or a good deal, you can sort the paper work too,

PS. CIM can sort a mortgage for them, every one's a winner, DEL

Sundowner
03-07-2011, 21:48
It's buyers market at the moment.................wait until it changes and then sell !

balababe
04-07-2011, 20:46
It's buyers market at the moment.................wait until ihttp://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=52214t changes and then sell !

But will it change? And when?

Sundowner
05-07-2011, 10:35
But will it change? And when?

Yes it will change.............if I knew when I could make a fortune :)

Leam_Lin
05-07-2011, 10:41
Yes it will change.............if I knew when I could make a fortune :)

Couldn't we all...............

fonica
05-07-2011, 13:39
If Mike had the amount of money needed to buy his own property,would he buy it or would he look for something that is better value for money? That is the question that most property sellers need to ask themselves and they shoud also a good look at what is on the market at the moment. Prices have dropped drastically and we all need to accept that.

Suej
05-07-2011, 13:50
Exactly.

You might be actually talking about where I live Mike. 2 bed Houses here that started off 5 years ago at around 220.000€+ will be lucky to achieve 165.000€ in todayīs market. There are still houses here unsold from when they were built!

Balcony
05-07-2011, 14:47
Doreen, I did do a minor post some time ago, which didn't draw any potential buyers and I was about to undertake some of my own marketing , but, frankly, I lost interest in the process due to a close family illness and bereavement. I had several months in a vacuum. But meanwhile, I'm told prices on our site had fallen again, so it made no sense for us to sell right now. We had a lot of apartments for sale on our site as one of the time-share operators moved off. This tended to drive prices down. I'm in the UK and I can't say I have my finger on the pulse of the market in Tenerife. It's always catch-up.
You are an established member here, balcony ... why not at least list it on the forum :)

jogger321
05-07-2011, 18:22
Ok. I accept people have different circumstances. Some people want a home to live in. Some want a place to use as a holiday home and some people want a place to rent out as an investment.

I'd like a holiday home that in ten years or so when I retire I can spend a few months to escape the UK winter.

From my perspective at the moment there is little point in me buying a holoday property in Tenerife. I feel the prices have some way to fall and even at best remain static . I can bide my time and when I come over pay rent to someone for a few weeks without the aggravation of maintenance charges, the spanish tax system and all the potential aggravation from running ownership of a Tenerife property from the UK. Good luck to anyone that wants to sell but quite frankly by putting "not negotiable" in the price thats a bad move IMHO. Better maybe to stick it up for a few more than you are prepared to accept and come down... Everyone wants a bargain right now!

Jimandsi
05-07-2011, 18:35
It would be interesting to hear how Mike has progressed with this since his original post.

I'll bet he's got so called "Estate Agents" queueing up at his door ?

mike in chayofa
05-07-2011, 18:35
If Mike had the amount of money needed to buy his own property,would he buy it

No. I wouldn't. That is because my circumstancs now are different from what they were 9 years ago and the configuration is not ideal for me now.

or would he look for something that is better value for money?

Everyone wants value for money no matter what they buy - house, car, packet of crisps etc.

In my case, I would not buy a house because it was good value for money if it did not have the space and features that I am looking for.

and they shoud also a good look at what is on the market at the moment.

Which is what I have done. I have also taken into account that a lot of houses will not fetch anything like their current asking price.

Prices have dropped drastically and we all need to accept that.

No disagreement there

mike in chayofa
05-07-2011, 18:38
It would be interesting to hear how Mike has progressed with this since his original post.

I'll bet he's got so called "Estate Agents" queueing up at his door ?

Fraid not :rolleyes:

... but after a week, 4 of the 6 agents that I approached have now listed the property on their websites

Jimandsi
05-07-2011, 18:56
That's disgraceful - the remaining two will be told to get lost, I presume ?

leo_london
07-07-2011, 15:16
:)I agree with Andy (CIM).
You can't tar all estate agents with the same brush, he has introduced a couple to me who have always been courteous, helpful, and very patient.
It is a buyers market, estate agents with hundreds of properties on their books, that are receiving little or no interest from buyers, are hardly going to be over enthusiastic to add another one to their list. They perhaps should be more honest, and tell hopeful sellers that they have little or no chance of achieving a sale at the price they are asking in the current market.
On the subject of non-negotiatable prices. I think we have all become accustomed to "making an offer". Even the numerous tv property programmes have reinforced this idea. I follow the site CIM is associated with, and despite seeing "non-negotiatable mentioned on a few properties..I would still make an offer. :)

CIM
07-07-2011, 21:34
I also wouldnīt list a property where I am expected to advertise one price when the owner is offering it publicly at a lower price! I think it is unreasonable to expect an agent to spend their time taking a property on and then putting them at such a disadvantage.

YOUNG GOLFER
07-07-2011, 23:09
Have to say in the short time i have been in this business when i see your place Mike offered to forum members at 340.000€ then you expect agents to come running to you to put it up at 17.000€ more than you offer it on here for all to see.

Now i don't think it's fair to also slate them for not jumpimg at the chance to list your property.

I have seen this before and have also taken clients to view a property when there is a sign right outside the door at a lot less than i might have on my website?...so what is a buyer going to do? i think we all know he is going to go direct...which is not really fair.

I have to say i am a little surprised that you yourself was once a agent and put a post on here slagging off agents who are not showing a lot of interest.

Have to say in the short time i have been in this business when i see your place Mike offered to forum members at 340.000€ then you expect agents to come running to you to put it up at 17.000€ more than you offer it on here for all to see.

Now i don't think it's fair to also slate them for not jumpimg at the chance to list your property.

I have seen this before and have also taken clients to view a property when there is a sign right outside the door at a lot less than i might have on my website?...so what is a buyer going to do? i think we all know he is going to go direct...which is not really fair.

I have to say i am a little surprised that you yourself was once a agent and put a post on here slagging off agents who are not showing a lot of interest.

Can you blame them.

I understand that not all buyers are forum members---and you might get a sale from one.

But to offer it to members direct then slate Agents is a little below the belt.

fonica
08-07-2011, 09:59
I would have loved to know this guy when he was an estate agent!

Lucy Fer
08-07-2011, 10:31
I would have loved to know this guy when he was an estate agent!

I met Mike in Cristianos a long time ago and he was very professional, extremely knowledgeable and a genuinely nice guy. I wasted his time because never did buy anything but nothing was too much trouble. I didnt know he was no longer an estate agent so have recommended him to loads of people.

Jimandsi
08-07-2011, 15:01
I met Mike in Cristianos a long time ago and he was very professional, extremely knowledgeable and a genuinely nice guy. I wasted his time because never did buy anything but nothing was too much trouble. I didnt know he was no longer an estate agent so have recommended him to loads of people.

Sounds like the good old days, when Estate Agents were respected by members of the public (their clients).

Nowadays they are just cowboys who are unable to find a proper job.

CIM
08-07-2011, 15:11
Sounds like the good old days, when Estate Agents were respected by members of the public (their clients).
There were no "good old days" in Tenerife! It was a lot worse back then than it is today!!!

Iīll just point out this most certainly does not apply to me, thank you very much.

delderek
08-07-2011, 15:51

And Looky Looky men sold Genuine Rolexes:fryingpan:

Jimandsi
08-07-2011, 16:46
There were no "good old days" in Tenerife! It was a lot worse back then than it is today!!!

I can assure you that there most definitely WERE "good old days" in Tenerife and I still remember them well. Business people gained respect from their clients by being honest and professional.

And, assuming that's you in your avatar, you weren't even born then :raspberry2:

Sue King
10-07-2011, 21:13
Can anyone recommend a good agent please?(and I guess bad agents too so we can avoid) We are planning to come out and rent but we hear so much of lost deposits, agents not paying owners etc. Any help appreciated.

Jimandsi
11-07-2011, 12:31
Can't help you there Sue - but good luck anyway.

doreen
11-07-2011, 13:06
Can anyone recommend a good agent please?(and I guess bad agents too so we can avoid) We are planning to come out and rent but we hear so much of lost deposits, agents not paying owners etc. Any help appreciated.

Sue, why don't you put a thread here of what you require, when and what your budget is ... many members have properties, and many agents look in here too :)

sweano
11-07-2011, 15:18
We were in a restaurant in Los Cristianos in May when an estate agent we had meet a few years ago when he worked as a partner in an estate agents before setting up on his own company came in to the restaurant, he gave us a wave before heading for his table.

Since our return home I have been receiving almost weekly e-mails from him with his latest listed properties.

Maybe they are realising that they need to work now?

I wonder if it is the same people who ripped us off for quite alot of money.
Were they based in Puerto Colon?
If so, avoid them like the plague.
Oh, and there's another two in Callao Salvaje. They don't have an office as such. Just a porta cabin.

CIM
11-07-2011, 16:50
There are clients who want to buy on specific complexes. But I havent met anyone who has told me price is no object.
"Cheap" is the wrong word for what people want as they still want good quality but they also want value for money which is not the same today as it was 3 or 4 years ago, nor is it the same from one person to the next. This is not a Tenerife subject, it is economics, supply and demand - thats how property markets work.

Jimandsi
11-07-2011, 16:52
Reading this thread was like watching a game of tennis. Not Sure who actually achieved Game, Set & Match though. Tell me, is everyone who is looking to purchase a home in Tenerife looking for Depressed, Reposessed, BMV properties. Or is there maybe, just maybe, a whole different sector out there with money in their pocket looking for Prestige, Individual, Unique Homes that regardless of the price, meets their SPECIFIC criteria. Of course everyone looks for a bargain, I know that, but there are people out there too who just want what they want and are willing to pay for it. Perhaps a different form of marketing structure needs to be investigated before every single owner and potential seller is told to drop their prices to meet the cheapskate market. Tenerife is a Beautiful Island. It has much to Offer and I personally know of a number of Absolutely Gorgeous Drop Dead Properties "outwith" the tourist resorts that could be the idyllic Getaway or Secluded Hideaway for a host of High Profile or "Genuinely Loaded" Clients. Has any agent got any of those type of clients in their portfolio? Has any agent got a marketing structure in place to get those kind of Clients? I think We need to stop selling this island Cheap and send all the cheapskates back to where their coming from. Investors I can understand. They can afford to buy cheap and sit on their purchases till the market improves and either rent or sell on. But not everyone is in that bracket. Tenerife is Better than That. "I Think"

Excellent post WeeJake and I totally agree with you.

I afraid that your suggestions will go over most agents heads though.

CIM
11-07-2011, 16:59
Agents are going to work markets which are profitable for them or at least thats where the bulk of their efforts will be. Some are also working niches but this needs to be something they do in addition rather than concentrate on. I am looking at such a niche myself right now along with another agent.

WeeJake
11-07-2011, 17:01
There are clients who want to buy on specific complexes. But I havent met anyone who has told me price is no object.
"Cheap" is the wrong word for what people want as they still want good quality but they also want value for money which is not the same today as it was 3 or 4 years ago, nor is it the same from one person to the next. This is not a Tenerife subject, it is economics, supply and demand - thats how property markets work.

I hear what youīre saying CIM, "BUT" I will reitterate. There has got to be a whole different sector of Purchasers out there that just MAYBE are waiting to be invited to sample the delights of Tenerife. For Example. If David & Victoria Beckham wanted to buy a Holiday Home in Tenerife ( I know Iīm dreaming but you never know) who would they contact? If George Clooney got fed up with Lake Como and decided he wanted to sail off into the distance with yet another girlfriend and, letīs be honest Tenerife is really just a hop step and a jump from Italy. Who Does He Call? and on a much more mundane level if Wayne Rooney and family wanted a secluded getaway away from all the Nightspots and Tenerife is only four hours flight so he could make those important matches. Who does he call? I could go on and talk about company CEOīs, Directors, etc etc etc. Just Exactly WHO do they call. WHO could introduce them to the delights of Tenerife?

Jimandsi
11-07-2011, 17:04
These two questions from WeeJake hit the nail on the head though .....

Has any agent got any of those type of clients in their portfolio? Has any agent got a marketing structure in place to get those kind of Clients?

Those type of agents are few and far between and are usually millionaires themselves.

onelegnofeet
11-07-2011, 17:04
Agents are going to work markets which are profitable for them or at least thats where the bulk of their efforts will be. Some are also working niches but this needs to be something they do in addition rather than concentrate on. I am looking at such a niche myself right now along with another agent.

I've got a Niche .................she calls me Uncle Oleg !!!

CIM
11-07-2011, 17:05
Most agents do have villas, I have access to quite a lot myself, there are just not top of my list for getting them active on the site and optimised for search. However, this will change very soon.
And yes - there are a couple of agents who do specialise in this area already.

WeeJake
11-07-2011, 17:16
Most agents do have villas, I have access to quite a lot myself, there are just not top of my list for getting them active on the site and optimised for search. However, this will change very soon.
And yes - there are a couple of agents who do specialise in this area already.

Iīm not sure the villa owners who have chosen you to advertise their properties will appreciate their not top of your list. But itīs good youīre working on it. Which agents Please! I need this information to pass on to some of the sellers I know. Some of these people are lucky to be getting a 1inch x 1 inch photograph of their PRESTIGIOUS properties on a web site alongside a multitude of bog standard apartments etc., (iīve got nothing against apartments or apartment owners by the way but you know what I mean).

Itīs not just about web sites. Itīs making contact with what I see as an invisible client base in Tenerife. Liz Taylor found us all those years ago but it seems weīve been somewhat forgotten ever since. Weīve paled into insignificance and oblivion. Catering only to our Eastern European Friends who have apparantly found some cash.

doreen
11-07-2011, 17:20
Excellent post WeeJake and I totally agree with you.

I'm not formally an agent, but some of us have got the message :) http://www.tenerife-luxury.com/

Two major properties sold to Russians, who do have money to spend but want everything to be perfect ... and I and my management team are taking Russian lessons :)

CIM
11-07-2011, 17:22
Tell them to list it here: Sell your property in tenerife (http://tenerifeestateagents.net/selling/)
It will then go on 6 agents websites (soon to increase) and over 20 property portals as well as ranking higher in Google for associated search than any other agents listing. Along with Doreens agency, good place to start....

I'm not formally an agent, but some of us have got the message :) http://www.tenerife-luxury.com/
(http://tenerifeestateagents.net)
Two major properties sold to Russians, who do have money to spend but want everything to be perfect ... and I and my management team are taking Russian lessons :)

How long were they listed for?

WeeJake
11-07-2011, 17:29

Now thatīs what Iīm talking about!!! Iīll pass the info on. Thanks Doreen.

doreen
11-07-2011, 17:33
Tell them to list it here: Sell your property in tenerife (http://tenerifeestateagents.net/selling/)
It will then go on 6 agents websites (soon to increase) and over 20 property portals as well as ranking higher in Google for associated search than any other agents listing. Along with Doreens agency, good place to start....

How long were they listed for?

A long time - the market segment is small, but now growing.

.... and just to emphasise, I'm not an agent ... but can put people together, if the property is truly exceptional :)

CIM
11-07-2011, 17:36
A long time - the market segment is small, but now growing.

.... and just to emphasise, I'm not an agent ... but can put people together, if the property is truly exceptional :)

I may get in touch when the new site is up and running... What commission do you want? :)

WeeJake
11-07-2011, 17:46
Itīs not the websites that are the problem. They work fantastically if you google "Properties in The Canaries" or Tenerife specifically. Itīs getting to the right clients or their agents and introducing THEM to TENERIFE. Not the other way about. Thus improving your "CLIENT PORTFOLIO"

If I was ever lucky to own a 1M+ home in Tenerife and I wanted to give it to an agent who I thought could sell it. Iīd be asking to look at your CLIENT PORTFOLIO. Iīd want to know how many properties of a similar ilk you have previously sold and, ok you couldnīt tell me exactly who youīd sold them to, but if your Brand Product was being bandied around a few other sites then maybe Iīd be convinced. Think Sothebyīs and maybe youīll get my drift. Iīve never used them and will probably never be in a position to use them but I know the Brand Name and I probably could guess who theyīd sold to.

Who on Tenerife has a reputation like that? "Nobody that I know of" Who on Tenerife wants to aspire to have a name like that? "Everybody Hopefully".

Concentrating on knock down valuations and low value properties is one way of making a living and bringing the wrong sort of people to the Island, (Personal Viewpoint Only - Iīm Allowed) However, concentrating on FMV properties, and helping to raise the expectations of the market and potential buyers is a whole other ball-game. We donīt want Tenerife Cheap! We want Tenerife at FMV. If you canīt afford it. You canīt come in!!

CIM
11-07-2011, 17:48
Youīd last about 5 minutes in this game...
Were you an agent in the past by any chance?

Iīd be asking to look at your CLIENT PORTFOLIO.Iīm sure the agents would be happy to hand them over... :crazy:

Who on Tenerife has a reputation like that? "Nobody that I know of" Sometimes when somebody stumbles upon an idea that it seems no-one else has thought of - other people have thought of it, researched it and then decided it is simply not viable enough to implement or certainly not viable enough to be their primary business/source of income.

Concentrating on knock down valuations and low value properties is one way of making a living and bringing the wrong sort of people to the Island, (Personal Viewpoint Only - Iīm Allowed)Can you just name the price point at which all the members on here who own property are not "the wrong sort of people."

YOUNG GOLFER
11-07-2011, 17:54
Concentrating on knock down valuations and low value properties is one way of making a living and bringing the wrong sort of people to the Island, (Personal Viewpoint Only - Iīm Allowed) However, concentrating on FMV properties, and helping to raise the expectations of the market and potential buyers is a whole other ball-game. We donīt want Tenerife Cheap! We want Tenerife at FMV. If you canīt afford it. You canīt come in!!

Don't think that's a nice thing to say...everyone has a right to buy a property in Tenerife be it a Studio or a Villa......

So you could be a couple who have worked hard all their lives to buy a little holiday home...(and these are the wrong sort?)

Would of thought that most buyers here in Tenerife fall under this bracket. What kind of buyer doesnīt want the best price they can get?

Jimandsi
11-07-2011, 18:25

Nice one doreen - I wish you well :hat:

caroletenerife
11-07-2011, 18:33
Don't think that's a nice thing to say...everyone has a right to buy a property in Tenerife be it a Studio or a Villa......

So you could be a couple who have worked hard all their lives to buy a little holiday home...(and these are the wrong sort?)

Would of thought that most buyers here in Tenerife fall under this bracket. What kind of buyer doesnīt want the best price they can get?

I own 2 square metres on a lovely finca over looking the airport...panoramic views of the coast, surrounded by 'some' domestic livestock. How much would could you flog it for? I can confirm i am most definately the 'wrong sort'

Jimandsi
12-07-2011, 13:01
@WeeJake,

I think you're wasting your time - I'm afraid they're on a totally different wavelength to you.

Bless 'em :crylaughing:

CIM
12-07-2011, 13:17
@WeeJake,

I think you're wasting your time - I'm afraid they're on a totally different wavelength to you.

I am definitely on a different wavelength - I know what works in this industry - you do not! Nor does "WeeJake"
If you have nothing to offer other than provoking and trolling these threads, then why bother Jim? Have you honestly got nothing better to do?
You obviously dont know the subject at hand - that is plainly obvious and some of the things I have read from you lot are as your little smilie suggests - laughable!
(Cue more trolling and provocation from a very sad and bored Jimandsigh... yawn....)

sleepy
12-07-2011, 13:46
Yes...and we've all got luxury apartments to sell to the flaming Russians haven't we. :rolleyes:

CIM
12-07-2011, 13:50
Yes...and we've all got luxury apartments to sell to the flaming Russians haven't we. :rolleyes:
Not luxury apartments - luxury villas! Those that want to buy (or sell) anything other than a luxury villa should be kicked off the island and not welcomed back according to "WeeJake" :crazy:

Zara
12-07-2011, 13:58

Surely as a seller if you really want to sell you would have no problem with whoever wants to buy whatever their nationality, as long as they come up with a price that you both agree on ???

fonica
12-07-2011, 14:27
Itīs not the websites that are the problem. They work fantastically if you google "Properties in The Canaries" or Tenerife specifically. Itīs getting to the right clients or their agents and introducing THEM to TENERIFE. Not the other way about. Thus improving your "CLIENT PORTFOLIO"

If I was ever lucky to own a 1M+ home in Tenerife and I wanted to give it to an agent who I thought could sell it. Iīd be asking to look at your CLIENT PORTFOLIO. Iīd want to know how many properties of a similar ilk you have previously sold and, ok you couldnīt tell me exactly who youīd sold them to, but if your Brand Product was being bandied around a few other sites then maybe Iīd be convinced. Think Sothebyīs and maybe youīll get my drift. Iīve never used them and will probably never be in a position to use them but I know the Brand Name and I probably could guess who theyīd sold to.

Who on Tenerife has a reputation like that? "Nobody that I know of" Who on Tenerife wants to aspire to have a name like that? "Everybody Hopefully".

Who do you think you are? Just in case you have forgotten or maybe never knew in the first place,this is a Spanish island,many of the people who live here are Spanish or Canarian.Some of them use this forum and must feel disgusted at some of what they read. Who are these "WE" that you talk about? Please don't include me in your "WE". You are a visitor to this country and on the whole you are treated well by it's people. I read this morning comments by the likes of you and feel that the FORUM should be more choosy about its members never mind who you want to chose to live on the island that you are visiting!

Jimandsi
12-07-2011, 21:48
plainly obvious and some of the things I have read from you lot are as your little smilie suggests - laughable!

What "lot" ?

Are you paranoid or something ?

MrHippo
13-07-2011, 12:07
CIM.. you posting links to ure site.. hope it doesnīt have a negative effect for you with google as the title of this thread is.. Tenerife-estate-agents-are-they-all-totally-incompetent

CIM
13-07-2011, 12:16
is "dullard" some technical term estate agents/mortgage brokers use that we, the general public donīt know about?

Google? Anyone???! Iīm sure you can look it up and aren't you / werenīt you an estate agent here? I thought you worked for Allianceproperty?

CIM.. you posting links to ure site.. hope it doesnīt have a negative effect for you with google as the title of this thread is.. Tenerife-estate-agents-are-they-all-totally-incompetent

Posting links to any website from anywhere cannot have a negative effect on the target website. Otherwise webmasters could push their competitors down the SERPS through targeted "Negative link building."

Zara
13-07-2011, 13:03
I donīt know whether I am reading a different thread to others but I got the impression from CIMs post that if a truly unique and expensive property comes on to his books he sticks it in the bottom drawer until maybe per chance someone with lots of dosh comes along and he can dig it out as he believes it is a waste of effort marketing it. (Apologies CIM if this is an incorrect interpretation of what you said).

From WeeJakes posts the impression I got was to have a broad spectrum of properties, market them equally and be prepared to have a list of those top end ones that have been sold and who the buyers were. This IMO is the sort of information that many people who are rich or aspire to be rich want to know, call it snob value (I bought from XYZ who has also sold to the Beckhams, Tom Cruise etc). Surely when the market is as quiet as we are being told it is every opportunity should be looked at and the agent gains a reputation for being able to offer whatever is required rather than - you want cheap go to so and so. ??? But what do I know, it could just be the way I have read the above, and again apologies if I am wrong.:surrender:

CIM
13-07-2011, 13:12
Yes Zara, you have got the wrong impression. Apology accepted.
Any property that goes onto my site, gets the same level of marketing and an equal amount of my time is spent promoting it. I dont care whether the property is under 50 grand or over 5 million. I do not discriminate.
There are buyers for all types at all budgets and I cater to them all. If I am offered a property and I think it is a waste of effort marketing it then I wonīt even list it.

I turn down plenty of overpriced property where owners are simply not realistic. I would rather spend my time listing 10 properties that offer excellent value to my client base than 100 properties whose prices are between mediocre and ridiculous. This pays off as I have sold a lot of property this year.

WeeJake suggested that anything other than the top of the market should not be bothered with, nor should anyone looking to buy at a good price. We should only be bothering with HNW buyers who dont care what they pay...
If you were to sell to someon famous I very much doubt they would appreciate an agency publishing such information in an attempt to drive more sales.

MrHippo
13-07-2011, 13:16
Google? Anyone???! Iīm sure you can look it up and aren't you / werenīt you an estate agent here? I thought you worked for Allianceproperty?

not me..

though i did ask you once to advertise my property for sale.. and was told it was not distressed enough!!

CIM
13-07-2011, 13:23
not me..

though i did ask you once to advertise my property for sale.. and was told it was not distressed enough!!

But you do work in an estate agents office. You do IT work and property listings for them.

When did you contact me and which property was?

MrHippo
13-07-2011, 13:29
When did you contact me and which property was?

You werenīt interested then, so i doubt you will be interested now, the apartment hasnīt changed..

it will still not be as distressed as you would like..

CIM
13-07-2011, 13:32
You werenīt interested then, so i doubt you will be interested now, the apartment hasnīt changed..

it will still not be as distressed as you would like..

So it looks like I was right as it hasnīt sold :whistle:
Just to confirm your interest in this thread and me in particular, you do work in an estate agents office. You do IT work and property listings for them. Right?

MrHippo
13-07-2011, 13:37
maybe i want to hang on and wait a while for market to pick up..

i dont have any particular interest in you, but if you had been blond and beautiful.. then maybe..

got to do some work.. gotta website to maintain..

tonypub
13-07-2011, 13:39
maybe i want to hang on and wait a while for market to pick up..

imho you gotta long time to wait for the market to pick up,sorry.:)

CIM
13-07-2011, 13:40
maybe i want to hang on and wait a while for market to pick up...

Which is why I will have told you it is not at a good enough price for my websites.

got to do some work.. gotta website to maintain.. For the estate agents that you work for....
Iīve just sent you an email - sent it to your work address too (the estate agents one) as well JUST-IN case you are not logged into your Hotmail :)

TOTO 99
13-07-2011, 18:42
another thread turned into a slanging match?????

To be fair, the title of this thread was always going to cause trouble even if it wasn't meant to. All CIM has done is defend his business as he sees it. What more can he do? It's so easy to jump on the bandwagon especially against trades that appear to do nothing except part you from your money but only a fool would think that nothing goes on in the background. I still think the title could have had a little more thought before it was posted. That said, it looks like a nice house and there should be no problem selling it anyway. Also Mike's a mod so he's great..:)

sleepy
13-07-2011, 18:51
All CIM has done is defend his business as he sees it.

And not only that but CIM has sold several properties over the last few weeks and in times like this that is some achievement on his part I'd say. ;)

CIM
13-07-2011, 19:09
Yup - CIM... blah blah blah, drone, drone drone, prod prod I must "wind someone up" as I am a proper dullard... drone, drone....
Good one...

Originally Posted by fonica http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?p=59258#post59258)
I have a Seat Cordoba 2010 car for sale.It is the best one on the island and I want 12,000 € for it. My neighbour has a Seat Cordoba 2010 car for sale, also the best one on the island.She wants 8,000€ for her car. Juan sells cars and for some reason the lazy idiot doesn't want to put my car in his showroom however he has put my neighbours car in there. I can't understand it. He must be incompetent etc.etc.etc.,just like the estate agents around here.
Precisely...

Originally Posted by Zara
Zara But yours has leather seats, alloy wheels, metallic paint, self-parking system, cruise control and IPod/MP3 interfaceAnd only the owner thinks those extras make his car 50% more valuable than his neighbours car...

Originally Posted by Sleepy
And not only that but CIM has sold several properties over the last few weeks and in times like this that is some achievement on his part I'd say.And another at notary last week and another deposit taken for an apartment last night :)
Must be doing something right! And I still have time on my hands to post on here!

mike in chayofa
13-07-2011, 19:10
......... Also Mike's a mod so he's great..:)

Creep :D

Just to keep everyone updated, my house is now listed on 5 out of the 6 agents websites that I contacted and to be fair, they have done a good job. Mind you, I did provide the photos and narative :spin:

One of them (despite having been given the correct information) has listed the number of bathrooms incorrectly, so I will have to contact them tomorrow.

It appears that one estate agent has joined the forum and made a personal reply to me. This has not yet made an appearance on the thread due to the gremlins being active again - nothing to do with me. I have stated that I will not enter into any private discussion on a public forum.

I have also had enquiries from other agents expressing interest in listing the property and have told them what I have told everyone:

If you make an appointment to bring clients to view, I will remove all private 'for sale' boards.

If that same customer tries to bypass an agent and visit me privately, they will be told to negotiate with that agent and I will not deal with them on a private basis.

I am advertising on two non agent sites and has had over 1.000 hits in the last week. OK it hasn't been sold, and as I said previously, I would like to sell it - I don't need to sell it. I think that this demonstrates that I am not unique in the world because I don't want to buy a distressed sale, based purely on price. There are others that simply want to buy something else. Space requirements can change over a period of years.

CIM
13-07-2011, 19:24
I am advertising on two non agent sites and has had over 1.000 hits in the last week.
Are you advertising it at 357,000€ the same as the agents or 340,000€?

I think that this demonstrates that I am not unique in the world because I don't want to buy a distressed sale, based purely on price.No, not everyone wants to buy a distressed sale and not everything I list is distressed but I will not list a property if it is overpriced - itīs as simple as that. And none of my clients (or any prospective purchaser) wants to buy whilst feeling like they have paid more than they need to.

If other agents want to sell overpriced property - they can try. The price point is irrelevant. 2 villas next door to one another and almost identical except one is 2 million and the other is 1.8million. if the 200,000€ difference cannot be justified by the agent marketing the more expensive property then the cheaper one is going to sell first in 99% of cases.

Why do people have a problem with this and how can people possibly disagree with this???!

tactileman
13-07-2011, 19:28
It doesn't get dark at 3 o'clock in the afternoon
No fog
Lots of people here are on holiday or retired so are generally happier
Itīs a lot cheaper to live here - money certainly goes further
The business owners here aren't that switched on and as such are very easy to compete against ( :) )
Itīs a much nicer place to work in general
I can eat out 3 or 4 times a week and it costs the same as eating in
The beach is two minutes from my door
Theres a few for you to be miserable about and try and argue with :)

Now... tell me what you love about Exeter!

Well I have to challenge you on how you think you can east out (3 or 4 times a week) for the same costs as eating in. That, respectfully, is drivel - you are paying the restaurantīs overheads in the price of the food and their uplift on the drinks. I will agree it is cheaper than the UK, especially if you like to booze but come on, you are speaking through your hat to say it costs the same as at home!!!

YOUNG GOLFER
13-07-2011, 19:31
To be fair, the title of this thread was always going to cause trouble even if it wasn't meant to. All CIM has done is defend his business as he sees it. What more can he do? It's so easy to jump on the bandwagon especially against trades that appear to do nothing except part you from your money but only a fool would think that nothing goes on in the background. I still think the title could have had a little more thought before it was posted. That said, it looks like a nice house and there should be no problem selling it anyway. Also Mike's a mod so he's great..:)

I have to say the title of the thread is unfair....... i have been a member now on this forum for a while and i don't like being labeled incompetent....maybe a little thought could of gone into the title...and i would like to add as i do pay to advertise my business on here(because i support the forum) i think a person like yourself mike you show a little more respect.

Jimandsi
13-07-2011, 19:38
I have to say the title of the thread is unfair....... i have been a member now on this forum for a while and i don't like being labeled incompetent....maybe a little thought could of gone into the title...and i would like to add as i do pay to advertise my business on here(because i support the forum) i think a person like yourself mike you show a little more respect.

And you've waited over 13 days before deciding to complain about a thread title ? :crylaughing:

Don't be chucking your toys out of the pram like your mate does.

delderek
13-07-2011, 19:39
I am not criticising any agent in particular, but you are so far behind the times, with a "don't use that agent" attitude. Have you looked at "your move" uk website, with multi agent listings, or for reaL service look for property in Florida, hundreds of agents all interconnected on a very very professional realtor website,,,it would put you all to shame.

YOUNG GOLFER
13-07-2011, 19:42
And you've waited over 13 days before deciding to complain about a thread title ? :crylaughing:

Don't be chucking your toys out of the pram like your mate does.

Another silly reply that brings nothing to this thread.....i would go as far to say that you are a TROLL nothing more jimthesnide think there could be some truth in that....

Not just this thread but many more.

I was born in Exeter and lived there for 18yrs and it's a shame you can't find anything better to do than sit at home and troll the forum trying to wind folk up.

Just take a few mins to think about the pointless post you make on a Tenerife forum.

CIM
13-07-2011, 19:43
I am not criticising any agent in particular, but you are so far behind the times, with a "don't use that agent" attitude. Have you looked at "your move" uk website, with multi agent listings, or for reaL service look for property in Florida, hundreds of agents all interconnected on a very very professional realtor website,,,it would put you all to shame.

It is something I have already looked into and began partially implementing Del. However, there are issues with MLS. I assure you I am up to speed on this technology and the future of it - but I think it can be improved upon as it is not SEO friendly and there are numerous duplicate content issues with it.
Also the lack of exclusivity here hampers the MLS system, you would end up with the same property on MLS 20 odd times.

Jimandsi
13-07-2011, 19:46
Another silly reply that brings nothing to this thread.....i would go as far to say that you are a TROLL nothing more jimthesnide think there could be some truth in that....

Not just this thread but many more.

I was born in Exeter and lived there for 18yrs and it's a shame you can't find anything better to do than sit at home and troll the forum trying to wind folk up.

Just take a few mins to think about the pointless post you make on a Tenerife forum.

So tell me then YG .....

Why have you waited in excess of 13 days before deciding to complain about a thread title ?

And do you think that your complaint should carry more strength just because you advertise your business on here ?

tonypub
13-07-2011, 19:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5isl0O4bAI&feature=related

YOUNG GOLFER
13-07-2011, 19:53
So tell me then YG .....

Why have you waited in excess of 13 days before deciding to complain about a thread title ?

And do you think that your complain should carry more strength just because you advertise your business on here ?

Well if you put a advert like i have on the forum and a Mod put up a thread knocking the business you were in....would you not also be a little upset by it.

If he wants to have a dig at the 6 agents he picked then fine...but to say are ALL agents are incompetent... is not right.

delderek
13-07-2011, 20:20
It is something I have already looked into and began partially implementing Del. However, there are issues with MLS. I assure you I am up to speed on this technology and the future of it - but I think it can be improved upon as it is not SEO friendly and there are numerous duplicate content issues with it.
Also the lack of exclusivity here hampers the MLS system, you would end up with the same property on MLS 20 odd times.

OK forgetting the Multi listing, The information given on most sites is pathetic, no community fees listed, no local authority rates charges, no sizes given, no area information no maps, and photographs taken with a Kodak Brownie. Why not a 360 tour as here: http://www.tenerifevirtualtours.com/hosting/2010/10/derek/

OK this was my place now sold, but even got 3 positive responses from the old forum. It took about 15 minutes,,is it not so much better than the out of date majority of agents sites in Tenerife.

CIM
13-07-2011, 20:34
OK forgetting the Multi listing, The information given on most sites is pathetic, no community fees listed, no local authority rates charges, no sizes given, no area information no maps, and photographs taken with a Kodak Brownie.es

Have you actually looked at a listing on my website?

tmfkahs
13-07-2011, 20:42

Tried Google translator, gobbledygook (or EA talk?) and it didn't come up with a reasonable answer as to why the agents here are so far behind the times.

@YG, the title of the thread is...'are they all totally incompetent????????' question not statement.

Vortex Wake
13-07-2011, 20:53
@YG, the title of the thread is...'are they all totally incompetent????????' question not statement.

A question about estate agents written by an ex estate agent :fryingpan:

A question that actually has NO answer .

delderek
13-07-2011, 21:00
Have you actually looked at a listing on my website?

No I hadn't,,congratulations, much better than most, still think the 360 tour is better though.

Tenerife Sun
13-07-2011, 21:22
Today I became a member of Tenerife Forum. This is my first post. I have read all of this thread as my husband was, until his retirement 2 years ago, a well respected estate agent in the north for over 22 years. His company is still operating under his previous partner and continues to give a good, honest and valuable service.

This thread is, in the main part, an abusive and unfounded generalisation of estate agents. Many posts written by people who are only contributing to cause further unrest and add fuel to the fire.

I would like to ask Mike, who started this thread, why he is using an estate agent at all if, as he seems to think, they are all time wasters just waiting to rip him off at the first opportunity. Having 'taken his own photos and written his own narrative', I should have thought he could also credit himself with doing his own advertising being available at all time for showings to say nothing of his own legal work and attending the notary to sign all by himself. He clearly knows more about the job than those he is seeking to employ to do the job for him.

To all of the people who wrote ignorant, rude and unfounded comments about estate agents I would suggest that if the comments had been directed at your trade of profession - which you had worked long and hard to maintain your position in - you would not see this thread as being so amusing.

Lastly, nobody can afford to work for nothing and estate agents have families to feed and bills to pay the same as everyone else, so, what makes you think that they sit around all day doing nothing.

As I said this my first post on this site and if this is the standard set by members it may well be my last! I doubt that this thread could sink any lower than it already has.

mike in chayofa
13-07-2011, 21:52
.........This thread is, in the main part, an abusive and unfounded generalisation of estate agents. Many posts written by people who are only contributing to cause further unrest and add fuel to the fire.

Hi there ... and welcome to Tenerife Forum :hat: I can quite see your point of view, and I hope that it won't stop you from posting, getting information and contributing to the forum.

These outbursts occur from time to time, but are not the norm.

I would like to ask Mike, who started this thread, why he is using an estate agent at all if, as he seems to think, they are all time wasters just waiting to rip him off at the first opportunity. Having 'taken his own photos and written his own narrative', I should have thought he could also credit himself with doing his own advertising being available at all time for showings to say nothing of his own legal work and attending the notary to sign all by himself. He clearly knows more about the job than those he is seeking to employ to do the job for him.

This was started as a general and genuine comment, concerning my first experiences from a 'sellers' perspective to see whether other people had had the same sort of treatment.

I approached 6 estate agents that I had previously dealt with when I was 'in the business' and at that time, were efficient and switched on.

I took the photos and wrote the narrative to make life easier for the agents that I approached ... and also, from past experience, a lot of them aren't really 'up to speed'. One of the agents that has got the property listed is showing the communal pool as the main photo. Although this needs to be shown, I am selling a bungalow, not a swimming pool.

My original posting was about the efficiency of the agents that I contacted. I have never said they are all time wasters just waiting to rip him off at the first opportunity

Lastly, nobody can afford to work for nothing and estate agents have families to feed and bills to pay the same as everyone else,

Agreed, but does it really cost 5 times as much to sell a property at 500.000€ than one at 100.000€?

CIM
13-07-2011, 21:56
I approached 6 estate agents that I had previously dealt with when I was 'in the business' and at that time, were efficient and switched on.
Yet you labelled the thread Are they ALL totally incompetent - knowing full well that YG and myself are estate agents on this forum. Not nice really....

Agreed, but does it really cost 5 times as much to sell a property at 500.000€ than one at 100.000€?
Did it when you were an agent?

mike in chayofa
13-07-2011, 21:59
....I pm you and get no reply.

That is not true. Please retract the comment.

I write about my dissatisfaction with an infraction - no doubt another infraction -

You wrote to me personally, so there is no question of an infraction.

You have now publically stated it on open forum and questioning a moderating decision in this way is not allowed. I will not issue an infraction on this matter, at this point - but the rest of the moderating team may chose otherwise.

sort it out Mike....

When I want instructions as to how to perform my job, there are other people to whom I shall ask advice first. Thank you.

TenerifeTeddy
13-07-2011, 22:03
IMPO The fact remains that in Tenerife ANYONE can set up as an Estate Agent. No qualifcations necessary, just get a Local and apply for an Opening Licence.

This means that there is an awful lot of dross and sharks out there, people who do just want to make a quick buck and disappear. There are also some very good ones, who provide an excellent service. I have seen both here, I had one of the bad ones next door to me, for a year or so, who ripped me off, so I now know what to avoid.

The trouble is until the industry is regulated, the only thing people can do is go by recommendation and keep their fingers crossed.

mike in chayofa
13-07-2011, 22:05
Yet you labelled the thread Are they ALL totally incompetent - knowing full well that YG and myself are estate agents on this forum. Not nice really....

Yes, I did, but when the people who were 'amongst the best' a few years ago, it does make one seriously wonder.

Did it when you were an agent?

Selling is about the art of persuasion and negotiation. It doesn't matter whether it is property or cans of baked beans

CIM
13-07-2011, 22:07
Yes, I did, but when the people who were 'amongst the best' a few years ago, it does make one seriously wonder.

Well as I said way back in this thread - things have changed - dramatically...

Selling is about the art of persuasion and negotiation. It doesn't matter whether it is property or cans of baked beans
That doesnīt answer my question you asked:

does it really cost 5 times as much to sell a property at 500.000€ than one at 100.000€?
You used to be an agent - did it cost 5 times as much back then?
Did you make 5 times as much?

slodgedad
13-07-2011, 23:33
I have removed a lot of the arguments and put them in off topic.

Can we please try to stick to the original OP; '' Tenerife estate agents - are they all totally incompetent? ''

CIM
13-07-2011, 23:36
I have removed a lot of the arguments and put them in off topic.

Can we please try to stick to the original OP; '' Tenerife estate agents - are they all totally incompetent? ''

OK - quick answer: I am a Tenerife Estate Agent. I am NOT incompetent. I also work with other Tenerife Estate Agents who are NOT incompetent. Therefore all Tenerife Estate Agents CANNOT be incompetent. Question answered...!

tonypub
14-07-2011, 03:19
ive been brooding a while now but here goes.my experience with an agent....i contact the agent saying i want to sell.. do they work for me?yes...they ask the price.....they tell me there commission,do they work for me? yes....they find a buyer because they work for me,there commision comes off my fee,yes.....then the price has to drop or no sale....do they work for me?.....no,they are aiding the buyer who has nothing to pay...do they work for me? no.an agent works for the sale,the commission.so its not a tenerife estate agent ,its a salesmen/woman.i know there is good and bad out there.the problem is a trust thing.i know if i was an agent and could make 5% on 200,000=10,000 id bend over backwards to make that 10,000.but it always turns out that an agent works for the buyer,not the first contact,the seller.ill probly regret this post manana but hey ho,thats how i see it.

WeeJake
14-07-2011, 08:59
Not luxury apartments - luxury villas! Those that want to buy (or sell) anything other than a luxury villa should be kicked off the island and not welcomed back according to "WeeJake" :crazy:

This is a stupid childish remark made by a so called professional. You are missing the point completely!!! and have managed to turn my comments round to suit your own need. The wrong sort of people are the oneīs who are currently buying up "Cheap" locals, applying for licences and turning them into lap dancing, massage, so called Spaīs and sex clubs and then bringing their trade wares with them and setting them up in "Cheaply Bought Apartments" all over the island. And yes, that apartment could be yours that youīve just sold at a knock down price or your neighbours. Now maybe youīre happy enough turning a blind eye to this and pretend you donīt see it. But I for one see it every day. Nail salons with a high majority of "Male" visitors. Come on!!! This is the wrong sort. Tenerife is a Touristic Family Holiday Island and it is slowly but surely being turned into a whole different thing. Now I know youīre thinking where is this happening. Well my response to you, is as an estate agent itīs your job to know where itīs happening. So take a walk on the Wild Side and get a glimpse of just exactly what kind of clients are appearing on our doorstep now. Trust me, you wonīt have to look too far. Just keep it going, and the decline youīve seen in the past is nothing to what youīll see in the future once people realise what exactly is on their doorstep. (Personal Point of View)

Alan Nicolson
14-07-2011, 12:01
Hello Mike, a friend has brought to my attention your post regarding Tenerife Estate Agents – are they all totally incompetent? I don’t presume to speak on behalf of any other company other than the one I am a partner of, Clear Blue Skies Group SL, and specifically your reference to “open and honest company” which I presume is a reference to our company.

In the first instance, your property is displayed on our website, you can find it by clicking on our website and entering reference 4107. Our records show that you brought it to us on Wednesday 29th June, and as both the people in our office who place properties on our website were off for the two days which followed (one sick, one on holiday) the property went live on our website on their return Monday 1st July. Apologies for delay, normal turnaround is 24 hours.

Secondly you say that you felt we were negative about the property market, however being a former Estate Agent yourself, would you not concede that a combination of the worst recession in nearly 100 years, a drop in value of the pound by 35% in 3 years, and the fact that the banks who caused the financial crisis are now making it worse by offering virtually no mortgages are hardly a cause for optimism? Add to this the situation in Greece and the precarious state of the Spanish Economy, then you would surely forgive us for feeling a little downbeat about the prospects of selling your property quickly.

You also told us you the price is the price, and that there was no negotiation whatsoever in your price, which as my colleague told you, will make it difficult, if not impossible to sell your property. Buyers are encouraged by the media everywhere to make offers and feel they have been cheated if they are not able to negotiate.

I’m sorry our “open and honest” attitude has been perceived as negative, and the implication by some people on this forum that Estate Agents are in some way lazy is certainly not the case in our company, where my colleagues and I regularly work 60 or 70 hours per week. Finally if you would like to advise me what was the misinformation was that was given to you, as my colleague has no recollection of you correcting him, but I would like to know directly or on this forum if you wish, what misinformation you believe we gave you to avoid giving it to others.

I originally tried to post this mail several days ago, but it was blocked by the spam filter as I put a link in, and as a new member it would not accept it.

CIM
14-07-2011, 12:08
This is a stupid childish remark made by a so called professional.
I stop reading posts at this point... If thats how you want to start addressing me then I have no interest in what you have to say.

Loaded
14-07-2011, 14:00
in my experience the sellers often over estimate te value of their property and then once the Estate Agent has put his bit on top you end up with a massively overpriced property that will never sell.

IT's always a hard to tell someone without bruising their ego, or losing them altogether, that their property isn't worth the price they want and that you are going to struggle selling it at that price .

I've seen many owners trying to sell their property getting frustrated bewcause the first agent they listed with "still haven't sold it" or even had a viewing: take the hint - if there is no interest in your property it's because the agent doesn't think they can sell it at the price you're asking or the condition or position it's in.

Saying that there is nop movement on the price is also crazy at the minute. If you want to sell your property you've got to make it at leasdt POSSIBLE for an agent to sell it, most employees of estate agents work on commissions so if they don't think they're likely to sell something priced at 200k thats over pirced they will concentrate on properties going for less but with more chance of selling.

Tenerife Sun
14-07-2011, 14:09
Mike, I have some questions for you and if possible I would like serious and honest answers to them.

Why are you using an agent to sell your property when you are capable of doing it yourself? You could save yourself all that commission that you seem to begrudge having to pay.
I am sure, as an ex estate agent, you are very much aware of the way commission is calculated here and has been done for many many years. A percentage of the selling price regardless of what that figure is. This is Tenerife not the UK or Florida as other posters used as comparisons! We have chosen to live here and Canarians pay the same commission rates so why should you or anyone else be any different?

What pricing structure did you use when you were an estate agent are you saying that you did not charge a percentage of the selling price, in line with most other estate agents? Is it one rule for when you are the person getting the commission and another for when you are the person who is paying it?

I totally agree that there are SOME incompetent estate agents in Tenerife, there are incompentent people in ALL walks of like. These people give a bad name to those who take a pride in their work and strive hard to build a good, honest reputation. Threads like this that generalise so widely can go a long way to ruining the reputation, business and livelihood of the honest professional whatever his occucaption.

I am sure that when you made your original post you knew exactly how it would pan out!

What I don't understand is that as an ex estate agent who knows that other estate agents both use this forum and advertise on it - why would you want to do this???

boredinscotland
16-07-2011, 11:45
I have decided to sell my apartment on El Mirador last week, visited 2 agents in Los Cris, apartment is live on one site and other agent never phoned me back. Apartment is not expensive compared to others on the market, but I also get the feeling some agents are not interested in even taking apartment onto their books,,,,maybe had it sooooo good for so ,long now need to put a bit of work in now????

CIM
16-07-2011, 12:51
I can list it on 6 estate agents sites in one if you like. Have quite a few new properties to put up this weekend. Details are on my website ( link below ) and I have a few people interested in El Mirador.

Alan Nicolson
16-07-2011, 12:52
Hello boredinscotland, if you would like to place your property with Clear Blue Skies Group SL, we would be delighted to take it on our books. Please call me Alan Nicolson or my colleague Colin Haydon and we will give you an honest assessment of the value of your apartment, and how best to sell it. We will be happy to visit your property, take photos, and put it on our websites and internet portals we subscribe to, all free of charge. We do not ask for "exclusivity" on any property, we charge 5% commission (including igic) if we sell it. Regarding "so good for so long", I'm afraid it hasn't been so good since the financial crisis kicked in nearly 4 years ago. Anyway hope to hear from you, I assure you my colleagues and I are working harder than ever with fewer buyers, so let's see if we can find someone for your property.

Jimandsi
16-07-2011, 17:26
I have decided to sell my apartment on El Mirador last week, visited 2 agents in Los Cris, apartment is live on one site and other agent never phoned me back. Apartment is not expensive compared to others on the market, but I also get the feeling some agents are not interested in even taking apartment onto their books,,,,maybe had it sooooo good for so ,long now need to put a bit of work in now????

Their reservation could also have something to do with the illegal lettings situation ?

Who knows. :confused:

boredinscotland
16-07-2011, 17:56
Hello boredinscotland, if you would like to place your property with Clear Blue Skies Group SL, we would be delighted to take it on our books. Please call me Alan Nicolson or my colleague Colin Haydon and we will give you an honest assessment of the value of your apartment, and how best to sell it. We will be happy to visit your property, take photos, and put it on our websites and internet portals we subscribe to, all free of charge. We do not ask for "exclusivity" on any property, we charge 5% commission (including igic) if we sell it. Regarding "so good for so long", I'm afraid it hasn't been so good since the financial crisis kicked in nearly 4 years ago. Anyway hope to hear from you, I assure you my colleagues and I are working harder than ever with fewer buyers, so let's see if we can find someone for your property.

I know you Alan as we looked at property with you before we bought in Mirador, you are selling one of my neighbours apartments, I will pm you details

http://www.lcp-tenerife.com/costa-arona/los-cristianos/apartment-in-el-mirador-a1b13140.html

If this is not allowed mods, please delete

Added after 2 minutes:

Alan and CIM, I have PM'd you both

helhod
16-07-2011, 21:07
CIM i have a lot of respect for you ,honesty too and Thankyou .All i did a few years back was ask advice on being let down by certain estate agents with are 2 properties and you with advice helped .We still have them ,but back in uk carrying on with are lives .

CIM
16-07-2011, 21:24
I do remember, Iīm glad things are still OK for you. I know you had a pretty terrible time because of an estate agent here - sorry there wasnīt much I could do to help back then. It did highlight to me very clearly what a terrible impact a dishonest agency can have on peoples lives when they are trusted to deal with their affairs. You werenīt the only person they screwed over that year either :(
At least your still on your feet though Helhod!

WeeJake
16-07-2011, 21:45
Who do you think you are? Just in case you have forgotten or maybe never knew in the first place,this is a Spanish island,many of the people who live here are Spanish or Canarian.Some of them use this forum and must feel disgusted at some of what they read. Who are these "WE" that you talk about? Please don't include me in your "WE". You are a visitor to this country and on the whole you are treated well by it's people. I read this morning comments by the likes of you and feel that the FORUM should be more choosy about its members never mind who you want to chose to live on the island that you are visiting!

DUHHHHH Why would I not know this is a Spanish Island. We Brits have been "edumacated" you know!!! Why would I include you in the "We". I donīt even know you!!! Read the details of my posts a little bit more carefully and then come back and tell me where Iīve insulted Canarians. I live with Canarians. Have done for almost twelve years. In Fact I count many Canarians as good friends. As for being a visitor!! Well Iīm a visitor that pays a helluva lot of taxes for the privelidge. And yes, I am treated well. Donīt think I ever said otherwise. But in paying my way Does that not in itself entitle me to a say. And you talk about CHOOSY!!. Well yes. I am very choosy about a lot of things. One thing in particular is who "EXACTLY" is my neighbour. Are you Canarian or from a wee bit farther afield?

sweano
17-07-2011, 17:45

This was not directed at CIM personally or anyone else for that matter . It was just the way the thread was going. So, apologies if anyone thought it was directed at them..

tactileman
22-07-2011, 17:17
Well I am sure this will fuel the embers. Was at a friendīs house today when an agent came to "take the property on" I could not believe what I saw, they were gone inside 10 minutes, took a pathetic 4 photos and did not ask one single question about the property, the community amenities, community charges, furnished/unfurnished or even, knowing that my friend wanted to sell, whether they could help with a future purchase. Having spent my career in a client service environment, dealing with a wide variety of clients I found this "service" to be pathetic and unworthy of the title estate agent! Of course, they will be there if and when they produce a buyer for their 5%!! They should try adopting the UK standards of estate agents, where they produce written descriptions with room sizes and often floorplans and all within a maximum of 2% commission - now that is what I call "service". Donīt forget also that most UK estate agents are employees, not self-employed and they still manage to turn a profit!! OK; let the comments fly !!

Jimandsi
22-07-2011, 17:34
They should try adopting the UK standards of estate agents, where they produce written descriptions with room sizes and often floorplans and all within a maximum of 2% commission - now that is what I call "service". Donīt forget also that most UK estate agents are employees, not self-employed and they still manage to turn a profit!! OK; let the comments fly !!

I sold a property in the UK recently.

The "Estate Agent" that I used gave me a load of bull about hard he would work on my behalf and he eventually agreed to:-

2% if the property is sold within three months.
1.5% if the property is sold within six months.
1% if the property is sold anytime thereafter.

He sold it for me within three months and it was a real pleasure to give him his 2%, bearing in mind the falling property prices.

However, he did also tell me later that ANY confident, hard working "Estate Agent" with genuine, motivated buyers on his books would gladly accept those terms.

doreen
22-07-2011, 19:01
And I sold a property in the UK recently with a 1.5% commission and to motivate an Irish agent even more last year, I gave him 2% ... I have often railed against the charges here but have had to give in to sell (even paying 6% last time :()

But it's the market set up here that's to blame - far too many agents chasing few sales and so having to share commissions - often 3 or 4 ways for contacts of contacts ... how they got away with it in the good times, I'll never know - talk about easy pickings.

Tenerife Sun
22-07-2011, 19:53
As I said earlier there are good and bad in all walks of life and the bad ones spoil it for those that work hard and do a good job. BUT...This is NOT the UK we are here because we chose to be and that means we should accept the Canarian ways etc. We have no right to expect everything to be 'like it is England' some people will want everybody to speak english soon 'like they do in the UK! Perhaps if we changed the weather to be like that in England too the majority of foreigners would really feel at home or maybe not even move here.

Sundowner
23-07-2011, 21:42
No they are not all incompetent.................some are are very good at grabbing your hard earned............:)

doreen
23-07-2011, 22:23
As I said earlier there are good and bad in all walks of life and the bad ones spoil it for those that work hard and do a good job. BUT...This is NOT the UK we are here because we chose to be and that means we should accept the Canarian ways etc. We have no right to expect everything to be 'like it is England' some people will want everybody to speak english soon 'like they do in the UK! Perhaps if we changed the weather to be like that in England too the majority of foreigners would really feel at home or maybe not even move here.

Well, one of the Canarian ways is to go behind the agent's back and negotiate direct with the seller :lol:

julia44
24-07-2011, 04:57
Well, one of the Canarian ways is to go behind the agent's back and negotiate direct with the seller :lol:

I viewed a house a while back in Guia de Isora and the owner only waited for the agent to be 2 or 3 yards ahead before he gave me his phone number to deal direct with him.
Mind you my spanish isnt very good so I think that what he was saying!

jack oakley
24-07-2011, 08:45
IMPO The fact remains that in Tenerife ANYONE can set up as an Estate Agent. No qualifcations necessary, just get a Local and apply for an Opening Licence.

This means that there is an awful lot of dross and sharks out there, people who do just want to make a quick buck and disappear. There are also some very good ones, who provide an excellent service. I have seen both here, I had one of the bad ones next door to me, for a year or so, who ripped me off, so I now know what to avoid.

The trouble is until the industry is regulated, the only thing people can do is go by recommendation and keep their fingers crossed.

Having now read most of the thread it was from the outset bound to be emotive, i think the post quoted is the most sensible responce. A forum is a place of discussion wherein one can air a personal viewpoint or opinion, if that viewpoint or opinion is percieved to be directed at someone personaly, then within this forum they have the platform upon which to rebuff or deny. If any of us recieve a bad service we are entitled to share that experience with our friends so that they can steer clear of the purpitrator, likewise if we have had a good meal, night out, bathroom fitted, car repaired, or house sold or purchased by a competent person then in an over-the-garden-wall conversation within the forum we should, without redress, be able to express our views for the benifit of others even though there is bound to be a certain amount of detrement if a person who gave bad service or did a bad job is named. My personal experience with estate agents here have been mixed, some have been helpfull and some just plain thick (leader photograph of a bed settee or a plantpot). The thick one's will fall by the wayside but whist in business they will no doubt do someone a dis-service so it is prudent for anyone who has had a bad experience to voice it and name whoever caused it. Long live free speech...Jack.o
p.s STAY WELL CLEAR OF MARINA ESTATES ON THE AMARILLA, my opinion and i am entitled to it, if you want to know why then view thread (the infamous el barranco your place abroad fiasco).
pps, reasons DEFINATELY NOT unfounded. Jack.O

jogger321
24-07-2011, 09:17

And I'm not suprised given what I regard as the ridiculously high % commision fee of the properties value.

They are basically the highest charging introduction agency on the planet!

doreen
24-07-2011, 09:31
They are basically the highest charging introduction agency on the planet!

Actually - no ... in Florida it's an average of 6% and in Berlin the Purchaser pays 6% plus VAT (fainting smiley)

caliente
24-07-2011, 09:39
10% in Spain yikes
http://www.culturespain.com/tag/estate-agent%E2%80%99s-sales-commission/

CIM
24-07-2011, 11:09
I do a lot of mortgages in mainland Spain and the agents there charge 10% as standard commission on sales!
Also, one months rental is standard commission for long lets.

I was going to add before Doreen did that the rate is higher in the US (I see 7% quoted a lot) and it is 5% minimum in Venezuela and a lot more if you are a "Gringo"....

jas
24-07-2011, 13:39
Have read all the way through this thread and found it somewhat overheated in parts - but to answer the question and hopefully change the tone of the thread i have found on the two occasions i have needed to use an estate agent they were more than competent.

In selling one apartment, (4 days after walking into the office) i found the staff to be efficient, helpful, pleasant, professional and fully informed.

When looking to purchase (admitedly in a niche market and hence using a niche estate agent) having explained my particular requirements and budget that i was presented with a portfolio that contained more than 20 properties that fit the bill and two 'wild cards' for interest factor. I viewed 9 properties (with endless patience on behalf of the estate agent) all of which had something that,for me, wasn't quite right.

Please don't assume that i was being over-finicky - for example, I knew that i would never have the time or will-power to maintain 3000 metres of vines, there was nothing 'wrong' with the property - it was me that wasn't right for the house.

However this particular estate agent directed me to one of his colleagues who did have a property that ticked all the boxes and jointly they guided me through the horrendous task of buying an unregistered property. (My advice - walk away from an unregistered property - personal opinion). True service - i do not know if or how the commission was split but recommended this particular estate agent to a friend as she was looking for a similar type of property and she bought one of the properties in his portfolio. Again nothing but praise.

I may well have been very fortunate but to say, in public, a big thank for those competent estate agents that provide a genuine service for those wishing to either sell or buy

willowlily
24-07-2011, 14:11
Have read all the way through this thread and found it somewhat overheated in parts - but to answer the question and hopefully change the tone of the thread i have found on the two occasions i have needed to use an estate agent they were more than competent.

In selling one apartment, (4 days after walking into the office) i found the staff to be efficient, helpful, pleasant, professional and fully informed.

When looking to purchase (admitedly in a niche market and hence using a niche estate agent) having explained my particular requirements and budget that i was presented with a portfolio that contained more than 20 properties that fit the bill and two 'wild cards' for interest factor. I viewed 9 properties (with endless patience on behalf of the estate agent) all of which had something that,for me, wasn't quite right.

Please don't assume that i was being over-finicky - for example, I knew that i would never have the time or will-power to maintain 3000 metres of vines, there was nothing 'wrong' with the property - it was me that wasn't right for the house.

However this particular estate agent directed me to one of his colleagues who did have a property that ticked all the boxes and jointly they guided me through the horrendous task of buying an unregistered property. (My advice - walk away from an unregistered property - personal opinion). True service - i do not know if or how the commission was split but recommended this particular estate agent to a friend as she was looking for a similar type of property and she bought one of the properties in his portfolio. Again nothing but praise.

I may well have been very fortunate but to say, in public, a big thank for those competent estate agents that provide a genuine service for those wishing to either sell or buy

can we please know the name of these agents, i presume they are in tenerife, i am looking to purchase properties in tenerife on mainly tourist complexes when i arrive for my winter soujourn in oct to add to my portfolio which at the moment consists only of english properties.

jas
24-07-2011, 18:42
crossley, moffat and lennox was one and are based in las galletas, however the other has returned to the uk. hope that helps

doreen
24-07-2011, 21:24
crossley, moffat and lennox was one and are based in las galletas, however the other has returned to the uk. hope that helps

CML have undergone significant changes - C back in the UK I believe, and M and L running two separate businesses :)

sleepy
24-07-2011, 22:15
CML have undergone significant changes - C back in the UK I believe, and M and L running two separate businesses :)

Ah!!Now that would explain why they sent some Dutch(I think he was) guy with some clients to view my property last week.

Tenerife Sun
24-07-2011, 22:19
For those who have only recently read this thread it is important to know that the thread was extensively 'cleaned up' one week ago on the 17th. There were a great many rude and abusive comments made and directed at various other members. Mike who started the post and is a Moderator hasn't commented since that date.

Without knowing what was previously said and then removed the thread reads as though it has been blown out of all proportion.

I am not an argumentative person and I enjoy a good, sensible debate but I also believe in fair play. In these difficult financial times it is hard enough to make a living without people making comments, often unfounded, like those that were added to this thread.

Red Devil
24-07-2011, 22:54
Los Cristianos Properties and Tenerife Properties ( San Eugenio) have both been extremely efficient when I have had property sales/purchases in Tenerife and I could recommend both of them.

christa
24-07-2011, 23:13
Have dealt in the past with Clear Blue Skies and found them to be very professional. No, this company is not connected to me in any other way, ie., family/close friends/friends of friends/ etc. I just wanted to add to the thread that they worked for me, and therefore, am happy to recommend them.

jas
25-07-2011, 07:58
Sorry about this but i mistakenly believed that an estate agent who i stated was very good with me had returned to the uk. As such, i am happy to correct my error and you can google him under the heading of Island Estates Tenerife

willowlily
25-07-2011, 11:06
Sorry about this but i mistakenly believed that an estate agent who i stated was very good with me had returned to the uk. As such, i am happy to correct my error and you can google him under the heading of Island Estates Tenerife

the reason i wish to know the name of the agent you were so happy with is, i wondered what sort of agent would show you a property with 3000 metres of vine unless you stated this was what you were interested in buying.
my time is precious and i would be annoyed by an agent wasting it by showing me wild cards or properties they are desperate to shift

jas
25-07-2011, 18:20
my spec to the estate agent was broad enough to encompass this particular house and land as were the 'wild cards'. At that time i was looking for a detached property in a rural area with a garden, preferably to reform and with a minimum of 3 bedrooms potentially. I was not specific enough for your tastes but i wanted to see what options were available to me and i did have the time to investigate what i consider a very important decision in your life i.e. the purchase of your home.

I was not looking for an investment property, something on the distressed line or a holiday home and as such was not prepared to say that will do when it was not what i wanted.

I reiterate that i was very satisfied with the service i received from the estate agent and was more than pleased that they had selected a large number of potential homes for me to view should i have so wished. from the selection and desription given i was able to eliminate 50% more or less straightaway but, it has to be said, it also gave me a 'feel' for what i was looking for and helped considerably to sharpen my focus on what was available within the price bracket that i was considering,

at no time did i think that this agent was wasting my precious time or that he was trying to offload properties he was despareate to shift. If i can refer you to my original comments i stated that in the end i did not actually purchase a property from his portfolio but instead from a colleague of his. however, the point remains that i think he offered an excellent service both upto sale and way beyond.

helhod
25-07-2011, 18:41
CIM you have given me great advice while living in Tenerife ..............Thankyou
CML avoid like the plague ............

elly
20-09-2011, 13:14
i am currently looking for a 3 bedroom apartment to rent in las americas or the golf !

IgelEi
20-09-2011, 16:53
If I understand correctly, itīs legally possible to rent apartments in residential properties from three months onwards - is this true? Can anyone recommend a reliable agency for long-term lets? As Iīll be moving back to the UK from Germany in December, Iīll be looking for an apartment in 2012 only for Feb, March, April. From 2013 onwards, Iīd like to rent for the six winter months. I have placed an ad in the property section, but havenīt had a single reply! Would anyone like to let direct? Budget up to €800/month.

boredinscotland
02-10-2011, 20:26
LCP have had my apartment on the books for 2 months and I have emailed them twice asking for feedback,,,I have been ignored so my keys have been picked up from their office,,,if pottential buyers get treated this way what chance have people got of selling,,also another agent was to phone my parents after Tuesday, Sunday now and still no phonecall to view apartment and put onto their books

Loaded
02-10-2011, 21:58
Can I ask the spec and price of the property?

boredinscotland
02-10-2011, 22:45
http://www.lcp-tenerife.com/costa-arona/los-cristianos/apartment-in-el-mirador-a1b13140.html?searchword=el+mirador

Across from Revron John, I have spoken to you from the balcony,,Jim

Loaded
03-10-2011, 08:21
Gotcha ! El mirador

Added after 6 minutes:

In fairness to them there are 3 pages of property on el mirador - all in my opinion over priced

jogger321
03-10-2011, 08:29
It would appear that quite a few people are trying to bail out of residential complexes that until recently have been quite lucrative in holiday lettings, El Mirador being one of them. I think it would be a pretty dumb estate agent that would suggest Dinastia/El Mirador and the like would be an excellent choice for holiday lettings given what is going on at the moment.

Loaded
03-10-2011, 08:55
Why are you selling Jim?

YOUNG GOLFER
03-10-2011, 12:17
The thing is when you see a few properties for sale on a residential complex like El Mirador it can be hard to sale unless it's priced well in this climate and a agent should tell you this.
Yours i have seen at 175.000 and the one we have is at 157.500(still for sale) and this week we are to take on another around the 155.000 mark with the three properties being the same all penthouses.

Also residential property can be a lot harder to shift when you have complexes around that area fully touristic at a lot less.

I had someone in my office last week asking me to take on a Studio in Torviscas alto for 115.000€ i politely told them it was one of the most expensive studios on there for sale and in fact i pointed out a 1 bedroom we have for sale at 25.000 less.

My advice to them was that if you are not in a hurry then hold on to the property with the hope things will turn around in the future.....i did not feel i was being out of order when telling this couple what i did... in fact i think i was being honest. Why waste everyone's time on something that will just sit there for ages with no viewings.

Again i would like to point out times are very hard right now but the property market is still moving but it's the property that is priced well in this climate which will have the best chance selling on.

9PLUS
03-10-2011, 13:04
Everybody wants a bargain

But nobody wants to give one

x

Angusjim
03-10-2011, 13:28
The thing is when you see a few properties for sale on a residential complex like El Mirador it can be hard to sale unless it's priced well in this climate and a agent should tell you this.
Yours i have seen at 175.000 and the one we have is at 157.500(still for sale) and this week we are to take on another around the 155.000 mark with the three properties being the same all penthouses.

Also residential property can be a lot harder to shift when you have complexes around that area fully touristic at a lot less.

I had someone in my office last week asking me to take on a Studio in Torviscas alto for 115.000€ i politely told them it was one of the most expensive studios on there for sale and in fact i pointed out a 1 bedroom we have for sale at 25.000 less.

My advice to them was that if you are not in a hurry then hold on to the property with the hope things will turn around in the future.....i did not feel i was being out of order when telling this couple what i did... in fact i think i was being honest. Why waste everyone's time on something that will just sit there for ages with no viewings.

Again i would like to point out times are very hard right now but the property market is still moving but it's the property that is priced well in this climate which will have the best chance selling on.

Stuart that may all be very true but bottom line is they took on the property at that price surely the least a client should expect is a phone call or an E mail back with an update, that would give the agent an oppertunity to discuss pricing etc and if both parties are not happy with the outcome of the discussions they can take whatever action they see fit. But saying that I do agree the apartment does look over priced in the current market

boredinscotland
03-10-2011, 18:33
Why are you selling Jim?

Time is right to buy property and do up to sell/rent in UK so the money tied up in my apartment can work for me in UK, I am not looking for price advertised,looking for around 155K Euro

Loaded
03-10-2011, 19:18
Maybe tell the agents that, the people selling will try harder if they think they can sell - otherwise they're just taking people on pointless viewings.

boredinscotland
03-10-2011, 19:22
Maybe tell the agents that, the people selling will try harder if they think they can sell - otherwise they're just taking people on pointless viewings.
Told agent what I was looking for,obviously fell on deaf ears, Morfitt have apartment on at Ģ135K, they listened

Loaded
03-10-2011, 19:57
Furry muff, maybe worth a gentile reminder ? Morfitt is sound, add it to clear blue too

Angusjim
06-10-2011, 07:03
Time is right to buy property and do up to sell/rent in UK so the money tied up in my apartment can work for me in UK, I am not looking for price advertised,looking for around 155K Euro

Don't want to depress you but I just got an E mail today advertising 1bedroom Penthouse at El Mirador for 135000 Euros

fonica
06-10-2011, 09:19
Don't want to depress you but I just got an E mail today advertising 1bedroom Penthouse at El Mirador for 135000 Euros You will no doubt see the same apartment on sale for 99,000 in a few months time.

IgelEi
06-10-2011, 10:22
You will no doubt see the same apartment on sale for 99,000 in a few months time.
After all, it only has 46 mē interior space!

boredinscotland
06-10-2011, 11:08
After all, it only has 46 mē interior space!

and 56m outside space, over 100m in total,not exactly limited space is it?

Don't want to depress you but I just got an E mail today advertising 1bedroom Penthouse at El Mirador for 135000 Euros

Euros or Sterling?

julie3
06-10-2011, 11:09
sounds like you cant lose! wonder why no one else has ever thought of this?:thanx:

dokgolf
06-10-2011, 11:15

Euros or Sterling?

Euros, I got the same email

doreen
06-10-2011, 11:31
sounds like you cant lose! wonder why no one else has ever thought of this?:thanx:

Oh, but they have ... and I guess the Mods will shortly be removing that bit of advertising ;)

IgelEi
06-10-2011, 11:34
Hi, has everyone seen the new property website called tenerifepropertyowners.com its a owners website that advertises property for sale without paying any estate agent commission - all you need to do is complete the registration, upload your photographs, description etc set your selling price & because its without commission you can advertise your property cheaper than the estate agents and sell it yourself. You have complete control with the website allowing you to change the price and photographs etc when ever you like.
The advertising is currently free for 12 months - just use the voucher code TPGS11, you also get advertising in the Tenerife Property Guide.
I know someone who has used the site and has sold their property for the full asking price last week.

A good idea, particularly if the sellers give as much detail as possible about the flat, including monthly fees and living space. There is a guy trying to sell three flats on the site, but he hasnīt even bothered to inform potential buyers of the size of them (mē). How amateurish is that??:redcard:

fonica
06-10-2011, 11:52
A friend of mine who lives in the north found a buyer for her property without using an estate agent.This was back in June and keeping everything crossed she will go to the Notary tomorrow to sign over the deeds. The recent months have been hell and she has had to sort out all the problems that have occured some of which have been really difficult. She says that she would never again want to attempt to do this kind of transaction without using a good estate agent. She speaks fluent Spanish and has lived on the island for many years so imagine the situation where the buyer and seller don't speak Spanish,don't understand the law in Spain, don't have all the relevant paperwork which changes from month to month and have to deal with banks, tasadores, Ayuntamientos, Endesa, Entemansa, Telefonica, etc.etc. Other friends of mine have used reputable local agents and had all of this work done for them. Whilst agents commissions may seem excessive I think they offer far more than just an advert on the web. Some of them have seller who speak many languages, they advertise all over the world, have expert local knowledge , good contacts and in some cases good ongoing customer support. It's very easy to lose a great deal of money with the wrong advice so sellers beware!

BobMac
06-10-2011, 11:52

Euros or Sterling?

It quite clearly says Euros

Added after 4 minutes:

Hi, has everyone seen the new property website called tenerifepropertyowners.com its a owners website that advertises property for sale without paying any estate agent commission - all you need to do is complete the registration, upload your photographs, description etc set your selling price & because its without commission you can advertise your property cheaper than the estate agents and sell it yourself. You have complete control with the website allowing you to change the price and photographs etc when ever you like.
The advertising is currently free for 12 months - just use the voucher code TPGS11, you also get advertising in the Tenerife Property Guide.
I know someone who has used the site and has sold their property for the full asking price last week.

Just had a look at this and there seem to be a lot of advertisers with more than one property.

Is this a site set up by somebody who has been caught with an illegal let and is trying to help others to offload theirs without estate agency fees or is it a genuine site which has been hijacked by some agencies for cheap advertising ??

YOUNG GOLFER
06-10-2011, 12:05

Well sorry to say as Doreen has pointed out it has been thought of before....... by a few other people one has been going for a good few years now and they have 11 properties for sale.

Added after 4 minutes:

Well sorry to say as Doreen has pointed out it has been thought of before....... by a few other people one has been going for a good few years now and they have 11 properties for sale.

Just to confirm also the email some of you guys have got today or yesterday about the property for sale it's 135.000 pounds NOT Euros.

Angusjim
06-10-2011, 12:22

Euros or Sterling?

Just looked again and it is pounds not euros sorry:ashamed:

YOUNG GOLFER
06-10-2011, 12:31

It has been tried before, many times… In fact itīs been done to death and failed abysmally every single time!

The reason why is that no one website can beat out the estate agents websites which are on the front page of google. A high position on Google = more web traffic. Agents also pay for ads in lot of papers, on property portals, they list properties on other agents websites and they have vast amounts of clients past and present.

Basically the difference between one of these websites and a good estate agent marketing your property is chalk and cheese.

They also appeal to just a tiny amount of clients who already know all areas, know the buying and selling process themselves and don’t need any assistance or to rely on the experience of an agency – few and far between.

One of the apartment on there has sold last week – but it DID NOT SELL through that website. It sold through an agent who contacted the owner, listed it on their website and added their commission. Says it all really!

I guess at the end of the day it got sold so happy days.

IgelEi
06-10-2011, 12:53
It has been tried before, many times… In fact itīs been done to death and failed abysmally every single time!

The reason why is that no one website can beat out the estate agents websites which are on the front page of google. A high position on Google = more web traffic. Agents also pay for ads in lot of papers, on property portals, they list properties on other agents websites and they have vast amounts of clients past and present.

Basically the difference between one of these websites and a good estate agent marketing your property is chalk and cheese.

They also appeal to just a tiny amount of clients who already know all areas, know the buying and selling process themselves and don’t need any assistance or to rely on the experience of an agency – few and far between.

One of the apartment on there has sold last week – but it DID NOT SELL through that website. It sold through an agent who contacted the owner, listed it on their website and added their commission. Says it all really!

As you work for an agency yourself, I suppose you are obliged to pitch in favour of using an agent - fair enough. However, if I can save a considerable amount of money by buying direct, I will. There are enough English/Spanish speaking lawyers and advisers around to give good advice in the buying/selling process, including this forum! Buying a property without a good lawyer is suicidal anyway.

Angusjim
06-10-2011, 12:54

I think what they need to do is get someone in who will revamp their website and get them up the google rankings any suggestions :wink:

dokgolf
06-10-2011, 13:55

Added after 4 minutes:

Just to confirm also the email some of you guys have got today or yesterday about the property for sale it's 135.000 pounds NOT Euros.

yep, sorry all, got my head up my ass these days!

chocaholic
06-10-2011, 14:08
LOL NOBODY sells for their full asking price nowadays, everyone expects a adiscount. Are you assosicated with the site?

boredinscotland
06-10-2011, 15:48
Just looked again and it is pounds not euros sorry:ashamed:

Thought that, it is my apartment

YOUNG GOLFER
06-10-2011, 17:32
It wasn't found on this site then the estate agent that sold it wouldn't have known it was for sale or it might have been with another agent.
It provides an open market for estate agents to pick from and add their commission if they have a buyer for the properties advertised.

So that's your sales pitch? "List on my website, pay me 140€ and maybe an estate agent will call you and end up selling it for you and adding on their commission..."
Brilliant!!! :crylaughing:
Iīd save my 140€ and just put it on for nothing with a couple of estate agents who will add their commission - same result but I am 140€ better off, no? :laugh:

Thought that, it is my apartment
Yes, nice apartment, realistic price. Its on Tenerife Estate Agents now: El Mirador apartment for sale (http://tenerifeestateagents.net/1-bed-penthouse-apartment-for-sale-el-mirador-los-cristianos/)

IgelEi
06-10-2011, 18:02
Oh no, Young Golfer, read c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y..it does NOT cost 140 EUR, as itīs FREE when quoting the ref. no. given-simples!!:nono:

Loaded
06-10-2011, 18:29
If it's free how does the site make money?

Personally I would buy privately without an agent and usually always do - however that's because I know all the ins and outs and what's needed for a sale. If I was doing it for the first time I would want an agent there to guide me.

YOUNG GOLFER
06-10-2011, 19:45
Oh no, Stuart, read c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y..it does NOT cost 140 EUR, as itīs FREE when quoting the ref. no. given-simples!!:nono:

You read carefully, its free for a trial - then its paid. Most properties do not sell in 12 months so I guess youīll be taking a lot of them off a year from now.
I hope your advertising budget isnt based on your income from property listings.

This forum already does what you are doing... for free, no fees after 12 months... identity is protected and it has a massive amount of members and readers.
Why should anymore bother with your website which ranks nowhere in google when they can just list it here and a few other places for nothing and have a much better chance of selling? Seems pointless to me...

TOTO 99
06-10-2011, 19:59
You read carefully, its free for a trial - then its paid. Most properties do not sell in 12 months so I guess youīll be taking a lot of them off a year from now.
I hope your advertising budget isnt based on your income from property listings.

This forum already does what you are doing... for free, no fees after 12 months... identity is protected and it has a massive amount of members and readers.
Why should anymore bother with your website which ranks nowhere in google when they can just list it here and a few other places for nothing and have a much better chance of selling? Seems pointless to me...

YG, I have no argument with you but I have to ask,what is your problem here?
I realise that you're in the same line but it's hardly in the spirit of things to be running down another business. "free for a year" sounds like a fair deal to me. If there's a con hidden in there then point it out for us. I have no connection by the way. :)

mossy
06-10-2011, 20:10
What's the reason in listing a property in pounds?????

doreen
06-10-2011, 20:24
What's the reason in listing a property in pounds?????

It's quite common place - the agents who do are targeting the British market and people have a budget in mind (in pounds) ... some Spanish agents still give the price in pesetas, which seems hilarious to some, but it's the way most Spanish still seem to think for large purchases :)

IgelEi
06-10-2011, 20:30

First of all, let me make it absolutely clear that I have no connections with this site whatsoever. I have no idea why you think it is MY site!!!! It is not. Nevertheless, I would like to underline the fact that I am in favour of property owners showing a bit of initiative and using this possibility of selling direct to buyers. It is clearly a win-win situation. I understand that you, a property market professional, fear that you could be bypassed by sellers and buyers, thus losing out on commission. I personally have sold a house and an apartment direct after disastrous "service" from agents. I sold my last apartment in France via an excellent agent, but only because I was not in the country at the time to sell it myself. The commission in France is 6%. This means that the buyer paid €18,000 more than if I had sold it direct. The service on the said site is free for one year. If the sellers cannot sell within the first 12 months, as their price is TOO HIGH, they have the choice of cancelling their ad or paying the €140 for a further year. I believe it is definitely worth a punt, as the sellers really have nothing to lose. I would say to all sellers, "Come on you guys- sell it yourself and reduce your prices by saving on agentsīcommission!" Somebody asked the question, "How does such a site make a profit?". This is clearly an introductory offer to encourage sellers to use the site. Once the site is up and running, the advertisers will have to pay the €140, which is peanuts for a whole year. You, young golfer Stuart, are clearly defending your corner, but youīre fighting a losing battle because somebody on the island apart from yourself has to show some initiative in order to shift the seven thousand or so properties (maybe more?) currently stagnating on the market.

mossy
06-10-2011, 20:40
It's quite common place - the agents who do are targeting the British market and people have a budget in mind (in pounds) ... some Spanish agents still give the price in pesetas, which seems hilarious to some, but it's the way most Spanish still seem to think for large purchases :)
Why not put the price in both currencies? and also a lot of agents use the old exchange rate:nono:
If the seller will accept payment in pounds or equivalent in eur then it's a diffrent matter,and ignore my ranting :sorry:

YOUNG GOLFER
06-10-2011, 21:06
perhaps it should be on its own sponsored threading if it is a business. I am not running the business down, I don't need to. Its not going to make any money and its no different to the others which have failed for whatever reason. This is a forum, they have posted this on a thread about ESTATE AGENTS. So I am entitled to say what I think of it.

doreen
06-10-2011, 21:08
Why not put the price in both currencies? and also a lot of agents use the old exchange rate:nono:
If the seller will accept payment in pounds or equivalent in eur then it's a diffrent matter,and ignore my ranting :sorry:

Agreed a lot of sites are not updated regularly enough ... the last apartment I bought, yes, the price was agreed in pounds ... and then converted into euros two days before going to the Notary so cheques could be arranged (I did okay on the exchange rate) ... and now that I think of it, I paid the booking deposit with some sterling cash I had from holiday rentals :)

Speaking of holiday rentals - have a look at the popular websites, they too are normally listed in pounds for the British market ...

Loaded
06-10-2011, 21:15
Tbf I think honest estate agents in Tenerife are well worth their high commission. In the Uk it's lower but then you don't get tyre kickers in the Uk who are on their last day of a weeks holiday suddenly deciding they want to look at property because they're bored on their last day.

IgelEi
06-10-2011, 21:35
[QUOTE=Loaded;104585]Tbf I think honest estate agents in Tenerife are well worth their high commission. In the Uk it's lower but then you don't get tyre kickers in the Uk who are on their last day of a weeks holiday suddenly deciding they want to look at property because they're bored on their last day.

How much is the standard agency commission in Tenerife????

Loaded
06-10-2011, 21:48
5% is the norm

Jimandsi
06-10-2011, 21:51
Yes, nice apartment, realistic price. Its on Tenerife Estate Agents now: El Mirador apartment for sale (http://tenerifeestateagents.net/1-bed-penthouse-apartment-for-sale-el-mirador-los-cristianos/)

Had a look at the above listing YG.

Don't understand the meaning of this statement though .....

"Demand for apartments on El Mirador goes through the roof during the Winter months from around November right through to March."

Can you explain please ?

Thanks.

julie3
06-10-2011, 22:00
I THINK YG IS A BIT RATTLED OR JEALOUS HE DIDNT THINK OF IT....GOOD LUCK WHO EVER IN YOUR NEW BUSINESS WISH ID THOUGHT OF IT....END OF DISCUSSION!!!!
:crying2:

pablo1
06-10-2011, 22:02

"Demand for apartments on El Mirador goes through the roof during the Winter months from around November right through to March."

Can you explain please ?

Thanks.

Lot's of friends and family of owners there at that time of the year Jimbob !! :-)

IgelEi
06-10-2011, 22:03

"[COLOR="#0000FF"]Demand for apartments on El Mirador goes through the roof during the Winter months from around November right through to March.[/COL

Can you explain please ?

Thanks.

He means demand for rentals:idea:

Loaded
06-10-2011, 22:07
El mirador may end up in "property purgatory" if it's not careful with buyers unable to rent to holiday makers legally and unable to live there in peace due to the "friends and family" staying there

Jimandsi
06-10-2011, 22:10
Lot's of friends and family of owners there at that time of the year Jimbob !! :-)

Of course pablo1, how silly of me not to work that one out, thanks.

And there was me thinking that someone just might be trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes.

He means demand for rentals:idea:

But rentals are illegal there, aren't they ? ???

pablo1
06-10-2011, 22:14

And there was me thinking that someone just might be trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes.

No worries, glad we cleared it up before any unnecassary arguments were caused, you know how some people are....

doreen
06-10-2011, 22:20
I said that advertising would probably be removed, but seeing as the topic is developing and everyone is quoting it might be difficult ... so let me use it to highlight a failing of many sellers (and some agents)

I will use one of their (very few, at the moment) properties to illustrate where sellers (and DIY sites) can fall down:

You might not rush to enquire about THIS (http://www.tenerifepropertyowners.com/penthouse-apartments)

But ... shameless advertising coming up ... maybe THIS (http://www.clearbluetenerife.com/view.php?cur_page=7&reference=4210&currency=eur&complex=balcon%20del%20atlantico&price_min=&price_max=#cont) would be more tempting

... yes, my own (professionally taken) photos supplied to (really good) agent after a major revamp

IgelEi
06-10-2011, 22:44

But rentals are illegal there, aren't they ? ???

Yes, they are, but obviously the agent doesnīt want potential buyers to know this. Itīs an ethical issue, isnīt it?:redcard: (Or have I misundersood?)

Loaded
06-10-2011, 22:53
I said that advertising would probably be removed, but seeing as the topic is developing and everyone is quoting it might be difficult ... so let me use it to highlight a failing of many sellers (and some agents)

I will use one of their (very few, at the moment) properties to illustrate where sellers (and DIY sites) can fall down:

You might not rush to enquire about THIS (http://www.tenerifepropertyowners.com/penthouse-apartments)

But ... shameless advertising coming up ... maybe THIS (http://www.clearbluetenerife.com/view.php?cur_page=7&reference=4210&currency=eur&complex=balcon%20del%20atlantico&price_min=&price_max=#cont) would be more tempting

... yes, my own (professionally taken) photos supplied to (really good) agent after a major revamp

Can you check the 2nd link Doreen - doesn't look like yor usual work.

* typo : your

YOUNG GOLFER
06-10-2011, 23:44
I THINK YG IS A BIT RATTLED OR JEALOUS HE DIDNT THINK OF IT....GOOD LUCK WHO EVER IN YOUR NEW BUSINESS WISH ID THOUGHT OF IT....END OF DISCUSSION!!!!
:crying2:

NO NEED TO SHOUT.

But i do wonder WHY some NEW members are really going out of their way to use this thread (incompetent estate agents)to promote their own business...the facts... so far a Agent has sold one of these properties on this website by contacting the owner from the details given then added on their commision and got a result. The owner of this property has got a sale the Agent got paid but the website offering this FOR free has got nothing NOT really a business i wished i thought of 1st.

RATTLED OR JEALOUS is not what i am about if you knew me.

But who ever had this NEW idea no-one has ever thought of before:wink: should count themselves really lucky you have been giving a fair bit of advertising for free which to me is fine. Good luck.

CIM
07-10-2011, 00:47
Yes, they are, but obviously the agent doesnīt want potential buyers to know this. Itīs an ethical issue, isnīt it?:redcard: (Or have I misundersood?)

That is MY website - not Young Golfers and yes, you most certainly have misunderstood. Do not accuse me of misleading clients.
The write up for that particular apartment refers to the spike in demand for long let accommodation from November to March when lots of people come to live in Tenerife and rent an apartment for between 3 and 6 months. Neither they nor the owners break any laws and there is nothing illegal about it. I do not mention short lets or weekly lets nor do I mislead anyone into thinking they can legally profit from illegal short term letting on El Mirador - I am very clear on this point with ALL my clients - I have discussed this at length with many investors this year who had no idea such controls were in place, one of whom had El Mirador as their first choice.

It would be a good idea for you to look up the meaning of the word LIBEL and get your facts straight before making any further statements about my business or the information I provide. Accuse me of deception again and I will be requesting your details and passing them to my lawyer to deal with - I do not jest.
If you wish to discuss this further, my contact details are on my website.

tmfkahs
07-10-2011, 03:39
That is MY website - not Young Golfers and yes, you most certainly have misunderstood. Do not accuse me of misleading clients.
The write up for that particular apartment refers to the spike in demand for long let accommodation from November to March when lots of people come to live in Tenerife and rent an apartment for between 3 and 6 months. Neither they nor the owners break any laws and there is nothing illegal about it. I do not mention short lets or weekly lets nor do I mislead anyone into thinking they can legally profit from illegal short term letting on El Mirador - I am very clear on this point with ALL my clients - I have discussed this at length with many investors this year who had no idea such controls were in place, one of whom had El Mirador as their first choice.

It would be a good idea for you to look up the meaning of the word LIBEL and get your facts straight before making any further statements about my business or the information I provide. Accuse me of deception again and I will be requesting your details and passing them to my lawyer to deal with - I do not jest.

Absolutely priceless. Got to be a classic.

Added after 3 minutes:

How can you misunderstand, It states quite clearly in the description, that this is a RESIDENTIAL complex and as such is not suitable for holiday letting..........or does it?

IgelEi
07-10-2011, 06:07

Thank you for clarifying the statement in the ad on your site. May I remind you that many potential buyers with no experience in the Canary property market simply do not understand the implications of the difference between a "residential" and a "touristic" property, even if these words are mentioned in the ads. I propose that all estate agents should state clearly in their ads that each property may be let on a short-term or long-term basis. Thatīs transparency!!

tmfkahs
07-10-2011, 07:26
Thank you for clarifying the statement in the ad on your site. May I remind you that many potential buyers with no experience in the Canary property market simply do not understand the implications of the difference between a "residential" and a "touristic" property, even if these words are mentioned in the ads. I propose that all estate agents should state clearly in their ads that each property may be let on a short-term or long-term basis. Thatīs transparency!!

It was tongue in cheek IgelEi. At the moment, the description mentions nothing about RESIDENTIAL

CIM
07-10-2011, 08:20

I have nothing further to say on the subject until I have taken legal advice.

IgelEi
07-10-2011, 09:34
I have nothing further to say on the subject until I have taken legal advice.
That is of course your good prerogative and I understand. Nevertheless, Iīd be interested to know what other forum members think of my proposal - is it feasible or just wishful thinking?:crazy:

Angusjim
07-10-2011, 12:31
That is of course your good prerogative and I understand. Nevertheless, Iīd be interested to know what other forum members think of my proposal - is it feasible or just wishful thinking?:crazy:

I think that is something that perhaps the agent in this case CIM will discuss with clients once they establish the exact requirements that they have. Only thing I can add is I have a deep distrust of agents in Tenerife thru various stories I have heard, but I do know both CIM and Young Golfer and both are good honest people who in my opinion would not mislead any clients both sellers and buyers

Ian55
07-10-2011, 13:32
In view of CIM's previous post regarding 'Legal action', this thread has been temporary closed until it has been checked by ADMIN.

The Admin team apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks