PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat New quarantine laws announced today to the UK.

Pets@Home
01-07-2011, 18:27
New rule announcement today that no longer do u need to put your pet into Quarantine for 6/7 months over here or the UK.
All that is necessary now is the FOLLOWING

Pet Passport
Microchip
Rabies Jab
3 week waiting period
Skyline cage
24 hr Health Check before u fly with Worm Treatment .......

NOW

THERE IS NOW NO EXCUSE TO LEAVE YOUR ANIMAS OVER HERE FOR THE ANIMAL SHELTERS TO COPE WITH .........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are people / LIKE MYSELF / who can arrange the Rabies, Pet Passport, 3 weeks Quarantine, Cage, Health Check and Flight for the Owner .........

So owners out there if u are thinking about going home u now can take yr lovely Pet/s
with u NO EXCUSE ..........

I never thought I would see the day this law changing for the good of the Animal ................

EFFECTIVE JAN 01/01/2012

PLEASE FIND BELOW OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT .........

Dog and cat owners will find it cheaper and easier to travel to the UK with their pets when new rules are introduced at the start of next year.

The UK will harmonise its pet movement rules with the rest of the European Union from 1 January 2012, bringing the UK’s Pet Travel Scheme into line with the most recent science.

The UK will maintain its high level of protection against animal diseases after the changes, which have the potential to save pet owners around £7 million in fees.

Forcing pets to spend six months in quarantine, a practice dating from the 1800s, is no longer necessary because of vastly improved rabies vaccines and treatments.

All pets will still need to be vaccinated against rabies. Pets from the EU will no longer need a blood test and will only have to wait 21 days before they travel.

The changes will ensure the risk of rabies coming to the UK remains extremely low. It’s estimated that the new rules mean there would be one case of rabies in a pet in the UK once every 211 years, with the possibility of a person dying from rabies obtained from a pet once in every 21,000 years. The Health Protection Agency considers Spain a ‘no risk’ country for rabies.

Environment Secretary, Caroline Spelman, said:

“The UK’s quarantine system was designed to combat the threat of rabies in the 19th century and has now been left far behind by scientific advances. What is needed is a simpler, evidence-based system for protecting the UK from rabies which recognises the actual risk to pets and pet owners. The EU’s pet movement scheme has been working very well for nearly a decade, and it makes sense for us to have similar rules.”

Chief Medical Officer, Professor Dame Sally Davies, said:

“Rabies is a very serious human disease and the rabies-free status of the UK must be protected. The EU pet travel rules have been successful in preventing any cases of rabies occurring in legally moved pets since the scheme started, so harmonising the UK’s rules with those of the EU will make it easier for those who wish to travel with their pets.”

The UK will continue to protect the public against the risk of serious exotic tapeworm infections and is pressing to retain tapeworm controls for pets entering the UK. The government has been discussing with the European Commission the most appropriate form of tapeworm controls for dogs, to ensure the UK continues to be protected from Echinococcus multilocularis.

The Commission has recently indicated that its proposals, expected shortly, would enable the UK and other tapeworm-free countries to retain tapeworm controls, with a requirement that animals be treated between one and five days before returning to the UK. Dog tapeworm is common in southern Spain.

Tick treatment for pet animals returning to the UK will no longer be required. All pet owners travelling abroad with their animals should discuss with their vets the use of treatments, including those designed to control ticks as part of good animal health practice.

Detailed information on what pet owners and vets need to do before bringing a pet to the UK can be found at www.defra.gov.uk or obtained from the UK helpline +44 (0)870 241 1710.

Information in Spanish can be found on the British Embassy website at ukinspain.fco.gov.uk

Entry rules for pets entering the UK from the EU: what has to be done at present, and what changes apply from 1 January 2012

•Microchip: yes
•Rabies vaccination: yes
•Documentation (pet passport or third country certificate): yes
•Blood test (dogs and cats): yes at present, but not after 1 January 2012
•Pre-entry waiting period: yes
•Length of waiting period before entry to the UK: currently 6 months from date sample taken for blood test; from 1 January 2012, it will be 21 days after vaccination against rabies
•Tick treatment: currently yes, 24-48 hours before embarkation. After 1 January 2012, the requirement is abolished
•Tapeworm treatment: currently yes, as for ticks. After 1 January 2012, it will be under consideration at European level

Goforgold
01-07-2011, 19:27
Thanks very much for putting this on the Forum. I heard something about this on LBC last night but fell asleep before it was discussed.

I wonder if eventually it could mean cheaper flights for the animals. I would love to do a long term rental along with my doggie :)

doreen
01-07-2011, 19:29
That certainly is good news - let's hope flights do indeed become cheaper :)

samnickgodber
01-07-2011, 19:35
wow thanks for this info this makes it sooooo much easier and cheaper for us with two cats to take back to the uk with us next year, just a quick question,,,, skyline carrier??? is this the same as a clipper?

Pets@Home
01-07-2011, 21:02
wow thanks for this info this makes it sooooo much easier and cheaper for us with two cats to take back to the uk with us next year, just a quick question,,,, skyline carrier??? is this the same as a clipper?

Hi yes its the Clipper, thats just one make. Lets hope the flights might come inline too .................

CIM
01-07-2011, 22:26
Excellent news for those pet owners returning to the UK.
Hows my chihuahua doing? You´re looking after him this weekend :)

caroletenerife
01-07-2011, 22:51
great news, i will put up a poster in the charity shop, do you have a rough guide to the new prices compared to the old ones, cheers x

Tom & Sharon
01-07-2011, 23:25
Good news but bloody typical when we've just paid 200€ for the blood test then we can take ours back & to if we want!

Pets@Home
01-07-2011, 23:35
Excellent news for those pet owners returning to the UK.
Hows my chihuahua doing? You´re looking after him this weekend :)

He is wonderful LOVES LOVES his big red bed, in fact I think he is stuck to it he loves it so much, what a quiet little
chap he is lol ..............

Added after 7 minutes:

Good news but bloody typical when we've just paid 200€ for the blood test then we can take ours back & to if we want!

Yes typical ............

Added after 8 minutes:

great news, i will put up a poster in the charity shop, do you have a rough guide to the new prices compared to the old ones, cheers x

Rabies 26 Euros
Passport 38 Euros
Cage 20 / 125 Euros Clipper 1 / 5
Drongal 10 / 50 Euros depending on the weight of dog / No Tick Treament necessary but still recommended
Health Cert 25 Euros
Flight 570 GBP and then 180 / 270 per animal depending on which airport / Max 4 animals on one consignment.
Airport 25 Euros to take animal/s to airport and put on flight
They can fly 21 days after rabies jab and as long as all the annual vaccinations are up to date.
No Bloodtest / No waiting 6 months anymore .......... NO EXCUSES ............

EFFECTIVE 01/01/2012

Tom & Sharon
02-07-2011, 00:30
He is wonderful LOVES LOVES his big red bed, in fact I think he is stuck to it he loves it so much, what a quiet little
chap he is lol .............

Are you sure? He can be a right nowty little bugger!

YOUNG GOLFER
02-07-2011, 01:22
Are you sure? He can be a right nowty little bugger!

You sure it is CIM's dog ??? it always bites people.

tenerifegal
02-07-2011, 14:07
yes me too but would like to thank pets at home for there excellent service and the love and care they are giving my dog, until he can fly home in November

Pets@Home
02-07-2011, 16:06
Thanks very much for putting this on the Forum. I heard something about this on LBC last night but fell asleep before it was discussed.

I wonder if eventually it could mean cheaper flights for the animals. I would love to do a long term rental along with my doggie :)

I have no idea but will write to the airline I use for all my quarantines and ask the question and get back to u all.
I dont expect an answer until Monday so will respond once I know .........

I have no idea but will write to the airline I use for all my quarantines and ask the question and get back to u all.
I dont expect an answer until Monday so will respond once I know .........

Added after 36 minutes:

To reply to Tom and Sharon, Young Golfer and CIM.

Well yes Jacko is not an angel, but to us he is someones little baby and he is treated accordingly.

We launched this business in July 2010 so one year on we have had around 50 dogs and loads of cats grace our house, albeit a Short Term / Long Term or Quarantine let. All the animals receive the same level of care on a 24/7 basis and loads of TLC, similar to what they get at home ........

So far we have had, Poodles, Spaniels, Gt Danes, Newfoundlands, ****zus, Chihuahuas, Westies, Yorkies, Huskies, Labs, Springer Spaniel, Canarian Dogs, Jack Russels, King Charles Spaniels, Dulex Dogs, Rotties, Greyhounds, Bichon Maltese, Heinz 57, puppies from 10 weeks old / Dogs up to 14 years old, Pedigrees. All these dogs receive the level of care they get at home, they dont pine for their owners because they are not locked up in a cage, they is alot of distraction off other doggies, we offer also a grooming service, they get 24/7 TLC, AND home comfort!!!!!!!!!!!! and all my clients so far come back and some are on their 8th visit in one year. We charge less than a kennel and for that they get all the above plus walkies.
We also have had loads of cats, with 16 at the moment here, but seperate from the dogs .........

So Jacko is a little pleasure and we are pleased to look after the little man until his mummy AND daddy come back from their break .........

Added after 2 minutes:

yes me too but would like to thank pets at home for there excellent service and the love and care they are giving my dog, until he can fly home in November

Hi thanks for that tenerifegal, needless to say, he is a little diamond, gives us hours of pleasure and is totally distracted from pining for you, which is a good thing, and just loves playing with the little guys everyday.

Added after 7 minutes:

Hi Caroletenerife, when I come back from the UK end of July, will type up the new regulations properly and list the new prices which comes into law 01/01/2012, and set it on card for your shop and all the other doggie charity shops in the area.
By doing this and working together I hope to persuade alot more people to take their animals home with them and not leave them behind for you to pick up the pieces ..... I am also launching a new service for next year to make it attractive for people to take their pets home .........

Added after 2 Hours 28 minutes:

AT A GLANCE GUIDE TO THE QUARANTINE SYSTEM NOW AND AFTER 01/01/2012 ..............
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE RING MY SIGNITURE NUMBER AT THE BOTTOM ...........

What pet owners need to do
How to bring your pet dog or cat into or back into the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS).

•Pet travel rules before 31 December 2011
•Pet travel rules from 1 January 2012

Pet travel rules before 31 December 2011
How to bring your pet dog, cat or ferret into or back into the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)
Pet dogs and cats (including guide and hearing dogs) in the UK or one of the other qualifying (listed) countries can re-enter or enter the UK without quarantine provided they meet the rules of the scheme. The PETS rules do not apply for pets entering the UK from a non-listed country.

UK PETS preparations must be done in listed countries. Animals from unlisted countries must spend six months in quarantine on arrival in the UK. Animals prepared for PETS in a listed country including the UK), and then go to a non-listed country would also have to spend six months in quarantine on arrival in the UK.

Animals which do not meet all the rules when they arrive in the UK must be licensed into quarantine. They may be able to be released early (before the full six month quarantine period has finished) if they can be shown to comply with the necessary PETS rules whilst in quarantine.

Preparing your dog and cat
To bring your dog or cat into the UK under PETS from one of the listed countries you must have it first microchipped, then vaccinated against rabies and then blood tested. Make sure you have read and understood all of this guidance before you bring your pet into or back into the UK:

•Step 1 – Have your pet microchipped – Before any of the other procedures for PETS are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.
•Step 2 – Have your pet vaccinated – After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date
•Step 3 – Arrange a blood test – After your pet has been vaccinated, it must be blood tested to make sure the vaccine has given it a satisfactory level of protection against rabies. (NB: ferrets do not need a blood test when they come from the EU or listed third country).
•Step 4 – Get PETS documentation – For animals being prepared in an EU country, you should get an EU pet passport. If you are preparing your animal in a non-EU listed country you will need to obtain an official third country veterinary certificate although note that Croatia, Gibraltar, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland are also issuing passports.
•Step 5 – Before your pet enters the UK, it must be treated against ticks and a tapeworm – Treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before it is checked in with an approved transport company for its journey into the UK.
•Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route – Your pet must enter the UK from a listed country travelling with an approved transport company on an authorised route.
Where PETS procedures can be carried out
Your pet can be fitted with a microchip in any country. The rabies vaccination (including boosters), blood sampling, issuing the PETS documentation and the tick and tapeworm treatment must all be carried out in the UK or any of the other qualifying countries.

The six month rule for entry or re-entry to the UK
Your dog or cat may not enter the UK under PETS until six calendar months have passed from the date that your vet took the blood sample which led to a satisfactory test result. Once the vet has issued the PETS documentation and that six month period has passed, the PETS documentation is valid for your pet to enter the UK. For ferrets, the waiting period is 21 days from the date it was vaccinated (because they don’t need to be blood tested)

Pet travel rules from 1 January 2012
From the 1 January 2012 all pet dogs, cats and ferrets (including guide and hearing dogs) can enter or re-enter the UK without quarantine provided they meet the rules of the scheme, which will be different depending on the country the pet is coming from.

Animals which do not meet all the rules must be licensed into quarantine. They might then be able to obtain early release if they can be shown to comply with the necessary pet travel requirements.

•What you need to do if you are entering the UK from the EU and listed non-EU countries (see which countries apply)
•What you need to do if you are entering the UK from unlisted non-EU countries (see which countries are unlisted)

What you need to do if you are entering the UK from the EU and listed non-EU countries

Preparing your dog, cat or ferret

•Step 1 – Have your pet microchipped – Before any of the other procedures for pet travel are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.
•Step 2 – Have your pet vaccinated – After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date.The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is 21 days after the vaccination date. If the vaccination is in two parts the 21 day wait will be from the date of the second vaccination.
•Step 3 – Get pet travel documentation – For animals being prepared in an EU country, you should get an EU pet passport. If you are preparing your animal in a non-EU listed country you will need to obtain an official third country veterinary certificate although note that Croatia, Gibraltar, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland are also issuing passports.
•Step 4 – Tapeworm treatment – We expect the European Commission to shortly come forward with proposals to allow UK to still require pets to be treated against tapeworms. There will be no mandatory requirement for tick treatment.
•Step 5 – Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route – Your pet must enter the UK from a listed country travelling with an approved transport company on an authorised route.

What you need to do if you are entering the UK from unlisted non-EU countries
Preparing your dog, cat or ferret

•Step 1 – Have your pet microchipped – Before any of the other procedures for pet travel are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.
•Step 2 – Have your pet vaccinated – After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date.
•Step 3 – Arrange a blood test – After your pet has been vaccinated, it must be blood tested to make sure the vaccine has given it a satisfactory level of protection against rabies. The blood sample must be taken at least 30 days after vaccination. The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is three calendar months from the date your vet took the blood sample which led to a satisfactory test result. The 3 month waiting period will not apply if your pet was vaccinated and blood tested in the EU and issued with an EU pet passport before it went to an unlisted unlisted country
•Step 4 – Get pet travel documentation –You will need to obtain an official third country veterinary.
•Step 5 – Tapeworm treatment – We expect the European Commission to shortly come forward with proposals to allows the UK to still require pets to be treated against tapeworms. There will be no mandatory requirement for tick treatment.
•Step 6 – Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route – Your pet must enter the UK with an approved transport company on an authorised route.

Larisa
03-07-2011, 10:57
Ura!!! I was about to do test for my 4 monsters, i can save about 800 euros now!!!! Just a quick question, ".....it will be 21 days after vaccination against rabies....." if my vaccination date is due in september, and i am planning to go to UK in january o february next year, do i still have to wait for 21 days o do i have to do another injection 21 days prior to my travelling?

Pets@Home
03-07-2011, 16:42
Ura!!! I was about to do test for my 4 monsters, i can save about 800 euros now!!!! Just a quick question, ".....it will be 21 days after vaccination against rabies....." if my vaccination date is due in september, and i am planning to go to UK in january o february next year, do i still have to wait for 21 days o do i have to do another injection 21 days prior to my travelling?

Good question and one that I cannot answer as yet because there seems confusion ref date of rabies, from what I can gather the Rabies has to be up to date, but u have to do it 21 days before u fly, if u bear with me for 15 days, going to the UK when I come back need to go to Vets to clarify a few pointer. Going to launch a new service myself next year, the old system I had 14 quarantines in one year, going to offer a service where I do everything for the owner, rabies, cages, book and pay for flights, check documentation is correct, 24hr health check and drongal, put them on the flight. Also offering a pre board price for peoples pets so they can sometimes go ahead of their animals and sort stuff in UK for their arrival back. Had quite alot of interest already. It maybe something u may be interested in and I get good prices for my flights. Anyway will be back with an answer end July ...............

Added after 6 Hours 15 minutes:

Hi Larisa, Good question and one that I cannot answer as yet because there seems confusion ref date of rabies, from what I can gather the Rabies has to be up to date, but u have to do it 21 days before u fly, if u bear with me for 15 days, going to the UK when I come back need to go to Vets to clarify a few pointers. Going to launch a new service myself next year, the old system I had 14 quarantines in one year, going to offer a service where I do everything for the owner, rabies, cages, book and pay for flights, check documentation is correct, 24hr health check and drongal, put them on the flight. Also offering a pre board price for peoples pets so they can sometimes go ahead of their animals and sort stuff in UK for their arrival back. Had quite alot of interest already. It maybe something u may be interested in and I get good prices for my flights. Anyway will be back with an answer end July ...............[/COLOR] Also if I had done the bloodtests it would have been 75 euros x 4, how vets
differ eh...................

Larisa
04-07-2011, 16:34
Good question and one that I cannot answer as yet because there seems confusion ref date of rabies, from what I can gather the Rabies has to be up to date, but u have to do it 21 days before u fly, if u bear with me for 15 days, going to the UK when I come back need to go to Vets to clarify a few pointer. Going to launch a new service myself next year, the old system I had 14 quarantines in one year, going to offer a service where I do everything for the owner, rabies, cages, book and pay for flights, check documentation is correct, 24hr health check and drongal, put them on the flight. Also offering a pre board price for peoples pets so they can sometimes go ahead of their animals and sort stuff in UK for their arrival back. Had quite alot of interest already. It maybe something u may be interested in and I get good prices for my flights. Anyway will be back with an answer end July ...............

Added after 6 Hours 15 minutes:

Hi Larisa, Good question and one that I cannot answer as yet because there seems confusion ref date of rabies, from what I can gather the Rabies has to be up to date, but u have to do it 21 days before u fly, if u bear with me for 15 days, going to the UK when I come back need to go to Vets to clarify a few pointers. Going to launch a new service myself next year, the old system I had 14 quarantines in one year, going to offer a service where I do everything for the owner, rabies, cages, book and pay for flights, check documentation is correct, 24hr health check and drongal, put them on the flight. Also offering a pre board price for peoples pets so they can sometimes go ahead of their animals and sort stuff in UK for their arrival back. Had quite alot of interest already. It maybe something u may be interested in and I get good prices for my flights. Anyway will be back with an answer end July ...............[/COLOR] Also if I had done the bloodtests it would have been 75 euros x 4, how vets
differ eh...................

Thanks, Pets@Home I will definitly contact you when start organizing my trip.

Cassandra
04-07-2011, 23:24
In your initial posting, you mentioned 3 weeks quarantine - Do you mean this is just a waiting period of 3 weeks at home, or does the dog actually have to go into quarantine?

samnickgodber
05-07-2011, 06:36
In your initial posting, you mentioned 3 weeks quarantine - Do you mean this is just a waiting period of 3 weeks at home, or does the dog actually have to go into quarantine?

Its just a 3 week waiting period x

Nicola9630
05-07-2011, 12:28
We are bringing our king charles into tenerife - was just about to get the blood test just in case so very happy I checked here 1st! Does anyone know excactly what she needs as I'm finding it hard to get the correct info! She's up to date with all her injections, had a rabies vac, got a micro chip, getting the pet passport from the vet in a couple of days.
Do I need the vet to do a health check certificate and proof she has had flee treatment?
Thanks!

Pets@Home
05-07-2011, 16:13
Thanks, Pets@Home I will definitly contact you when start organizing my trip.

Thanks Larisa, I will however get back to u ref your question end July ...

Added after 15 minutes:

Hi it means a 3 week quarantine anywhere in Tenerife, they just cannot leave the county till then ......

Added after 6 minutes:

We are bringing our king charles into tenerife - was just about to get the blood test just in case so very happy I checked here 1st! Does anyone know excactly what she needs as I'm finding it hard to get the correct info! She's up to date with all her injections, had a rabies vac, got a micro chip, getting the pet passport from the vet in a couple of days.
Do I need the vet to do a health check certificate and proof she has had flee treatment?
Thanks!

Hi bringing into Tenerife is simple. Pet Passport, correct cage, 24hr Health Check from Vet day before u fly, u seem to have it all sorted.

Pets@Home
22-10-2011, 15:32
A few weeks ago, the forum brought out the new business discount card, and asked for business owners to come forward and introduce their product / service to the forum.
This is about what we do here at PETS@HOME, but more to educate people about the new quarantine laws that will come into effect on the 01/01/2012.

PETS@HOME was opened because of the lack of facilties for home care for pets. The only alternative at the moment is Kennels and Catteries, and we saw a gap in the Marketplace.

Alot of owners do not like to put their pets into Kennels and their cats into Catteries and choose instead to either not go away, or get a friend to look after their pet.

We at PETS@HOME cater for the dogs that owners feel they cannot leave in a Kennel. These are the Pedigree dogs and cats, young dogs and cats, and old dogs and cats. We have been going now since July 2010 and have alot of regular clients, that come back again and again ..........

We treat them as if they were our own, and they are in a home enviroment, no cages needed. They have complete freedom of the house, and they cannot get out as the front terrace has a very high fence and a locked gate. The cats are in the back terrace and have their own space and an ajoining back room, and a wall which is as high as the house, so they cannot get out either.

We also look after pets for their quarantine before taking them to the airport and flying them back to their owner. We have had many dogs and cats already gone home on the old system of 7 months, also looking after them for 7 months and seeing to eveything that needs to be done, for them, for their journey home. The last 3are flying home on the 16th November, we have looked after them now for 7 months and finally we are nearly ready to fly them. Because we are flying them altogether, they are having a flight share to Manchester, saving the owners 900 POUNDS STERLING between them.

As at 01/01/2012, the quarantine laws will change and the quarantine will be now 21 days instead of 7 months.
Our first flight out in January to LGW is already fully booked with 4 dogs and one cat going back on a 5 way flight share, a saving overall of over 1000 pounds sterling, LGW is more expensive than MAN to fly to ....

The gate way has opened NOW, for owners to take their pets back to the UK instead of leaving them behind.
This will mean less anquish for the owner, and less stress on the Refuge Centres .....
They will now not have to pay for 7 months kennel fees for quarantine, or costly bloodtests, and if they get a flight share, which is what we do, then its is not very expensive at all.

If anyone needs more information for either a holiday stay or a quantine stay, and more information on the new law please p/m us, we are happy to quote you.