PDA

View Full Version : Level and points tallies on profiles?

CIM
02-06-2011, 00:29
What are these and how do they work?
Is this a trial feature or permanent?

CIM
02-06-2011, 00:31
Can we trial the "user reput-ation" feature? That sounds pretty good! I´m sure we´d get some interesting results from that :)
The word "p-u-t-a" is in the censor...

wen53
02-06-2011, 00:42
yes I noticed these just arrived, I'd like to know how it works too:)

wen53
02-06-2011, 00:55
oh I've just found the 'Experience' link at the top next to 'Forum' all the info is in there.:doh:

tizzywizzy
02-06-2011, 09:33
can we turn it off? Not keen on this at all

williethetim
02-06-2011, 09:34
my info has all gone now? because i had to re register

CIM
02-06-2011, 09:55
Keep working on it Tizzy! You´ll be a level 7 Arch Spider Mage before the days out!

reggie
02-06-2011, 09:59
can we turn it off? Not keen on this at all

Dont be hasty, your under me in the experiance, 2 points, I'm making a cup of tea,

tizzywizzy
02-06-2011, 10:06
Keep working on it Tizzy! You´ll be a level 7 Arch Spider Mage before the days out!

To be honest it is putting me off posting. It is it being on the screen when you read the posts. The panel has too much on it now. I liked it as it was last night before this coloured bars and statistics were added. Also what is this Vcash?.

This is just my view,lets see what the others think,maybe a vote to see who likes it.

atlantico
02-06-2011, 10:06
right , looked at this, and its S T U P I D.

A forum is about informative conversation and fun.

Collecting points is a game, just set up a gaming section for those who want to play.

Or at least allow the feature to be turned off by members or keep hidden except from the user.

I don't need to see what everyone else's 'experience points' are.

and it takes up too much valuable conversation space.

tizzywizzy
02-06-2011, 10:09
right , looked at this, and its S T U P I D.

A forum is about informative conversation and fun.

Collecting points is a game, just set up a gaming section for those who want to play.

Or at least allow the feature to be turned off by members or keep hidden except from the user.

I don't need to see what everyone else's 'experience points' are.

and it takes up too much valuable conversation space.

well thank you for having the same view as me. It is a terrible addition and i hope it gets removed.

CIM
02-06-2011, 10:10
Buit when you get to level 50 "Grand Silver Forum Wizard" you get advanced features. You can read pm´s, sign in and post as ANYONE and edit/delete posts at will - imagine what fun we´ll have!!!

CIM
02-06-2011, 10:11
I´m not that sold on it either TBH... I always remember a great signature someone had on a big forum, It said simply: "You are not your post count..."
I wouldn´t worry about it. I think Kirsty will just be trying out a few new features, sticking with the popular ones and binning the naff/unpopular ones.

CIM
02-06-2011, 10:14
I have added a poll for you.

tizzywizzy
02-06-2011, 10:15
Buit when you get to level 50 "Grand Silver Forum Wizard" you get advanced features. You can read pm´s, sign in and post as ANYONE and edit/delete posts at will - imagine what fun we´ll have!!!

I don't want a forum that has its members competing with one another for points and awards.

TOTO 99
02-06-2011, 10:16
I agree, I thought it was just me being miserable. It all looks a bit competitive for my liking. I'd rather have ten good posts than 1000 worthless ones........I was right...I am miserable :lol:

CIM
02-06-2011, 10:16
You´ll just have to accept I am right on this one - cos I got more points than you!!!
Stick a vote on the poll Tizzy and we´ll see if people like it or not.

Muppet
02-06-2011, 10:24
Frankly, any "competition" for points is totally against the concept. The idea of a forum is to exchange useful information and learn from each other's experiences. Any encouragement for members to litter sensible and informative threads with often stupid and unhelpful posts just for the hell of it and to get their post counts up is what annoys me the most. It happened all the time before and is not the way forward.

Have some silly threads of course, but please do not encourage the, erm, muppets??

AL JAY
02-06-2011, 10:26
I don't want a forum that has its members competing with one another for points and awards.

Totally agree Tizz,the new forum is great but i don't want all the gimmicky things, apart from maybe adding a sidebar which makes navigating the site easier!

CIM
02-06-2011, 10:27
Vote in the poll - then the decision makers can see what peoples feedback is.

Zara
02-06-2011, 11:42
Frankly, any "competition" for points is totally against the concept. The idea of a forum is to exchange useful information and learn from each other's experiences. Any encouragement for members to litter sensible and informative threads with often stupid and unhelpful posts just for the hell of it and to get their post counts up is what annoys me the most. It happened all the time before and is not the way forward.

Have some silly threads of course, but please do not encourage the, erm, muppets??

I am one of the muppets that enjoys the silly posts, but I get very annoyed when a serious post is taken off topic by stupidity. There is a time and a place (usually the dungeon or the fun category) for all the drivel.

I have just copied my comments from the other coloured bar thread (didn´t realise this one existed) and like some I agree this is a step too far.

........I don´t like it for all the reasons given above and just how accurate is it anyway, it seems that all of those who have friends have 3 so that is a load of old toffee for starters. Please if it must stay let it be hidden from view so the user can check it on their profile if they wish........

Just noticed I am 'second class' flamin cheek I want to travel first class or nothing :mad:

doreen
02-06-2011, 11:56
Not really sure what to think yet ... if something can be added so newbies/visitors know which posters are considered reliable sources of information, that could be an advantage ???

And to echo Zara - yes, fun posts are great ... but let's try to keep to one line or the other in threads :)

CIM
02-06-2011, 12:28
There is some sort of reput-ation tool in the documentation but I don't know how it works or if this is actually it. Maybe a tool like that which people can opt out of if they wish?

tizzywizzy
02-06-2011, 12:30
yes we all like to have a bit of fun but it needs to be in the fun thread so if we don't want to view we can ignore them.

Tom & Sharon
02-06-2011, 12:54
We voted no,because it will only lead to more drivel
Just looked at the 'experience' tab and judging by who seems to have awarded themselves megga experience points,it rather negates the purpose of it in the first place.

Still feel like we are in the classroom with the prefects running amok in the headmistress' office!!

slodgedad
02-06-2011, 12:58
Just looked at the 'experience' tab and judging by who seems to have awarded themselves megga experience points,it rather negates the purpose of it in the first place.

Still feel like we are in the classroom with the prefects running amok in the headmistress' office!!

It's nothing to do with the prefects, let me tell you..:hole:

Blondeshrimp
02-06-2011, 13:17
I don't like it either, it reminds me of a school report with stars added for being good, and everyone can have a look.

Zara
02-06-2011, 13:26

Does this change by the minute/hour because the leader at the moment is totally different to the person who was leading when I first looked who had only 20 posts and no friends ??? This is the sort of achievement that makes nonsense of the feature and suggests it is being manipulated.:hole:

pamywamy
02-06-2011, 13:52
To be honest it is putting me off posting. It is it being on the screen when you read the posts. The panel has too much on it now. I liked it as it was last night before this coloured bars and statistics were added. Also what is this Vcash?.

This is just my view,lets see what the others think,maybe a vote to see who likes it.
I agree it is horrid.!!!! Hope enough people moan and it gets removed.

Jelly Baby
02-06-2011, 14:05
Well I am definitely in the "must try harder" bracket but I am new here and only just getting to know people. I feel a bit like an ebay seller with stats next to my name.

with cheese
02-06-2011, 14:06
How come a Mod is top poster above many others when I haven't yet seen a post from them............just asking as I am sure its correct, just don't know how.

doreen
02-06-2011, 14:24
How come a Mod is top poster above many others when I haven't yet seen a post from them............just asking as I am sure its correct, just don't know how.

Edit - oops - wrong answer :fryingpan:

Suej
02-06-2011, 14:48

Gold star for this post! LOL!

onelegnofeet
02-06-2011, 14:49
It's nothing to do with the>>>>> prefects, <<<<<<<<let me tell you..:hole:

SPELLING !!!! shouldnt that be ER not RE...................................

Well even the Teachers reports at my old school never said "SECOND CLASS"

Zara
02-06-2011, 14:54
SPELLING !!!! shouldnt that be ER not RE...................................

Well even the Teachers reports at my old school never said "SECOND CLASS"

Maybe I shouldn't aspire to being First Class - it could be first class idiot !!!

Does experience go on age - If so you are only half my age - Now we know it's wrong :crazy:

CIM
02-06-2011, 14:55
I notice all the whingers are just low level minions... :)

onelegnofeet
02-06-2011, 15:00
I dont mind being Second class ,but its so far from the "BUFFET CAR"....................

onelegnofeet
02-06-2011, 16:19
Just noticed the friends and its not working correctly ,looks like no one has more than 3 .Mind you in Cims case that looks a lot:surrender::whistle::raspberry2:

KirstyJay
02-06-2011, 17:42
I like the way that everyone has decided to slag off stuff before I've even had a chance to look at the settings or explain what it's about...

Thanks folks ;)

It's supposed to finally be... once I've had a proper chance to investigate it... a way of rewarding people who contribute with discounts for advertising, or allowing promotion of their apartments etc, in order to reduce spam from people that come on just to advertise.

I have not yet had chance to look through the settings and what you see is the default install.

Unfortunately, I don't actually have as much time as you lot to get things set up instantly, so if you'd all like to stop judging so quickly and actually give us a chance to get things working properly and announce them before you start criticising, then it would be nice.

Thanks ;) :)

onelegnofeet
02-06-2011, 17:47
your Welcome:hit:

Simon-M
02-06-2011, 18:02
give us a chance to get things working properly and announce them before you start criticising

Go on then. You've got a week, then your out :)

DaveRF
02-06-2011, 18:15
I don't mind it either way to be honest. I've not had the chance yet to read up fully on how it works. Why not just give it a chance and see how it pans out without dismissing it before it even has a chance or before anyone even fully understands what it's all about.

onelegnofeet
02-06-2011, 18:19
I don't mind it either way to be honest. I've not had the chance yet to read up fully on how it works. Why not just give it a chance and see how it pans out without dismissing it before it even has a chance or before anyone even fully understands what it's all about.

The problem i think is whilst you were away Daverf ,was there was a thumbs up/down button for if you liked /or dismissed someones post ,which was abused by those who took it upon thereselves to dislike certain posters ..............though that wouldnt be me ,would it !!! But you get my drift

DaveRF
02-06-2011, 18:22
The problem i think is whilst you were away Daverf ,was there was a thumbs up/down button for if you liked /or dismissed someones post ,which was abused by those who took it upon thereselves to dislike certain posters ..............though that wouldnt be me ,would it !!! But you get my drift

OK I understand but from what I see of this it seems to be based on an awful lot of information which cannot be readily influenced by other members unless I am missing something.

with cheese
02-06-2011, 18:31
I like the way that everyone has decided to slag off stuff before I've even had a chance to look at the settings or explain what it's about...

Thanks folks ;)

It's supposed to finally be... once I've had a proper chance to investigate it... a way of rewarding people who contribute with discounts for advertising, or allowing promotion of their apartments etc, in order to reduce spam from people that come on just to advertise.

I have not yet had chance to look through the settings and what you see is the default install.

Unfortunately, I don't actually have as much time as you lot to get things set up instantly, so if you'd all like to stop judging so quickly and actually give us a chance to get things working properly and announce them before you start criticising, then it would be nice.

Yes Miss. lol

lewlew
02-06-2011, 18:34
Don't like it. :(

It makes the page too cluttered. :spin:

KirstyJay
02-06-2011, 18:57
1) Once I've had chance to edit the page templates, it will probably not even display on the main posts, only in the stats.
2) There are 3 or 4 other plugins that it interacts with to install, which will give me the functionality originally envisaged. I'm still looking into exactly how it will all work, as there are 100's of settings.
3) It can be set to only give points when threads in certain sections are answered, with a certain character count, and lots of other settings too, so therefore people will only gain points for contributing posts, not silly replies... therefore it will encourage quality posts with information, not spam, as previously suggested.
4) It is not supposed to be a competition. We would like to offer members that contribute the ability to get something back, without having to penalise other members... so, maybe points can be used to get a discount in advertising, or we can have a business directory that members can add their business to for a certain number of points... or a member can get a free page about their apartment on the accompanying CMS for x points.
Anyone that wants to advertise, or be on the business directory, or whatever... can do so for a nominal fee, or get it for free if they are contributing members... that way if someone wants to advertise and not post, they can, and it will help the running costs... but if they do take part in actually building the community, they get the stuff for free, or cheaper.... Thus rewarding our members for building our community, but not excluding others either.
5) the thumbs up mod can be combined with this addon, but I was thinking of disabling thumbs down, therefore people will vote if a thread is good and informative, but cannot use it to 'have a go' at someone they don't like.

There are many possibilities and settings, and it may take me a while to work through them, as I also have a full work schedule. Please do not prejudge. I will announce and ask for opinions once it's set up fully. We want this forum to be a free resource that works FOR its members, but is not subjected to spammers taking advantage of the popularity in order to get a bit of free advertising. This addon looks like a very good one that may help us do this in a fair way for all, so all the people that voted in this poll about how much they hate it without even knowing anything about what it is, or what it's supposed to do, do you have the same opinion now?

Sometimes it is best to have a little patience ;) :)

tonypub
02-06-2011, 19:02
1) Once I've had chance to edit the page templates, it will probably not even display on the main posts, only in the stats.
2) There are 3 or 4 other plugins that it interacts with to install, which will give me the functionality originally envisaged. I'm still looking into exactly how it will all work, as there are 100's of settings.
3) It can be set to only give points when threads in certain sections are answered, with a certain character count, and lots of other settings too, so therefore people will only gain points for contributing posts, not silly replies... therefore it will encourage quality posts with information, not spam, as previously suggested.
4) It is not supposed to be a competition. We would like to offer members that contribute the ability to get something back, without having to penalise other members... so, maybe points can be used to get a discount in advertising, or we can have a business directory that members can add their business to for a certain number of points... or a member can get a free page about their apartment on the accompanying CMS for x points.
Anyone that wants to advertise, or be on the business directory, or whatever... can do so for a nominal fee, or get it for free if they are contributing members... that way if someone wants to advertise and not post, they can, and it will help the running costs... but if they do take part in actually building the community, they get the stuff for free, or cheaper.... Thus rewarding our members for building our community, but not excluding others either.
5) the thumbs up mod can be combined with this addon, but I was thinking of disabling thumbs down, therefore people will vote if a thread is good and informative, but cannot use it to 'have a go' at someone they don't like.

There are many possibilities and settings, and it may take me a while to work through them, as I also have a full work schedule. Please do not prejudge. I will announce and ask for opinions once it's set up fully. We want this forum to be a free resource that works FOR its members, but is not subjected to spammers taking advantage of the popularity in order to get a bit of free advertising. This addon looks like a very good one that may help us do this in a fair way for all, so all the people that voted in this poll about how much they hate it without even knowing anything about what it is, or what it's supposed to do, do you have the same opinion now?

Sometimes it is best to have a little patience ;) :)the old buggas dont like change:whistle:

KirstyJay
02-06-2011, 19:05
This was something that zarion and I spoke about on many occasions in the past, but it just never happened. I'm just trying to see if it could be good, but in order to test stuff, it has to be actually working. :)

If you don't like it, ignore it. It means nothing until it's actually attached to something. :D

garlicbread
02-06-2011, 19:08

Thanks folks ;)

as a moderator I think this says it all, and for once I think Kirsty should reconsider her actions.. I'll get my coat now ;-)

doreen
02-06-2011, 19:11
as a moderator I think this says it all, and for once I think Kirsty should reconsider her actions.. I'll get my coat now ;-)

I'm sure it could be tweaked that you lose points/reput?tion for Off Topic etc :)

KirstyJay
02-06-2011, 19:25
as a moderator I think this says it all, and for once I think Kirsty should reconsider her actions.. I'll get my coat now ;-) Did you not read my earlier post? ???

pablo1
02-06-2011, 19:38
I voted no having not really looked into what the function was all about.
Having read Kirsty's explanation I would like to rescind my original vote and apologise for not having faith with people who know a lot more about the workings of a new forum than little ol me! :-)

Muppet
02-06-2011, 19:49
Sorry, but I still disagree with anything that rewards posts, no matter how you police it or how the technology polices it. I do not see why those who have the time to spend here all day should get discounts on advertising either. Hosting and software licences cost money, why consider discounts to those who should be happy to pay a set rate for it because it works, which it will only do withoud gimmicks. This should be an adult place to exchange helpful information between ourselves and the outside world, not a kiddie gaming forum.

Coat in hand too

Zara
02-06-2011, 20:28
While I appreciate the sentiments behind rewarding people for raising the profile of the forum, like Muppet I do not agree with the method.

The forum offers its members a place they trust, where the information they receive is honest because people care about our little ‘community’ or just a place for friendships to flourish. It should not be somewhere for cheap or free advertising rewarded just because you log on so many times, add tags to posts and raise the forum ratings.

Some of us will be here no matter what, we don’t have businesses or apartments to plug. We give relevant information when it is requested and when it is quiet amuse ourselves without hopefully offending too many. The traffic will grow (as it is already) because people enjoy being here not for self-gain.

The poll came about because nobody was informed what was going on – it is human nature to question and silly to expect however many members we are as of today to sit quietly and think someone will tell me when they are ready.

TOTO 99
02-06-2011, 20:42
Fair play to Kirsty if it's just trying options. With that in mind the poll says it all. Us thick skinned posters have no fear and to be honest I totally disregard who's top poster or whatever. I would however hate the thought of someone new to the forum being put off by it. I've seen people in the past being slated because they dare to have an opinion after"only 3 posts". The forum is here for everyone. They should be able to come on here to ask a question without worrying that they don't have a full house of 3 coloured bars.

tonypub
02-06-2011, 20:44
wheres my coloured bars gone?

howard thornton
02-06-2011, 20:44
While I appreciate the sentiments behind rewarding people for raising the profile of the forum, like Muppet I do not agree with the method.

The forum offers its members a place they trust, where the information they receive is honest because people care about our little ‘community’ or just a place for friendships to flourish. It should not be somewhere for cheap or free advertising rewarded just because you log on so many times, add tags to posts and raise the forum ratings.

Some of us will be here no matter what, we don’t have businesses or apartments to plug. We give relevant information when it is requested and when it is quiet amuse ourselves without hopefully offending too many. The traffic will grow (as it is already) because people enjoy being here not for self-gain.

The poll came about because nobody was informed what was going on – it is human nature to question and silly to expect however many members we are as of today to sit quietly and think someone will tell me when they are ready.

put your coat on.

Chris P. Bacon
02-06-2011, 20:46
Bars vanished :crazy:

howard thornton
02-06-2011, 20:49
Bars vanished :crazy:
thats good news.

doreen
02-06-2011, 20:52
wheres my coloured bars gone?

What ... are we suddenly a democracy now ??? :lol:

KirstyJay
02-06-2011, 20:53
They should be able to come on here to ask a question without worrying that they don't have a full house of 3 coloured bars.But that's just my point. It was the default install, and being a person that has a family and a job to do as well, I had not had time to look through the settings and see what was needed and what to disable. I have gone to bed at 1am every night this week.

As you can see, bars are no longer there, as I've now found their setting.

I have work to do tonight though, that is paid... so I will be logging off now. I can only afford a certain number of hours a day working on all the stuff that needs doing, so until Pooh has moved to Tenerife and can help with all the programming side of the forum, then I'm afraid I can only do what my time allows.

I'm sorry if it's not quick enough for you all, but that's how it is. If you want to start pre-emptive threads, that's your prerogative, however all addons ARE being announced when they are finished in the Announcements thread, so don't expect a response until there's something to actually respond about in threads like these, because I simply do not have the time at the moment to get caught up in discussions about stuff that is not even definite if I am supposed to be programming too.

tonypub
03-06-2011, 03:00
let the people who are stuck in the 80s(ill never have a mobile phone/i wont join facebook) have the ability to disable features,they will soon get jealeous and enable features:surrender:

TOTO 99
03-06-2011, 06:12
Kirsty, please read my post again. You've really quoted me out of context. It actually begins by praising you, there is no mention of add ons etc. I wouldn't dream of criticising you or any of the team that got us back on here. My post wasn't meant to offend. Sorry if it reads that way. We need a bunch of flowers smiley for times like this :hole:

slodgedad
03-06-2011, 14:48
I have now closed all 3 threads on the subject as they are no longer relevant