PDA

View Full Version : What does Royalty mean to you?

doreen
02-07-2011, 11:22
Watching the huge crowds out to greet William & Kate in Canada got me wondering: Royalty does nothing for me - just seems to represent an archaic class structure - but then, I'm Irish, so it has never really has had a context for me.

What do you think - is it a marvellous institution, or a great tourist draw ... or off with their heads ?

Zara
02-07-2011, 11:49
I'd get rid of every one of them tomorrow :ban: think they take more than they give. :hole:

AL JAY
02-07-2011, 12:00
They don't live in the real world and i agree with Zara.

pablo1
02-07-2011, 12:52
I've warmed to them in the last couple of years, probably because Harry is a man after my own heart!
Unfortunately for every Harry and Wills you have an Andrew and Edward!
They don't really have any impact on my life so if I weigh it up and ask myself if they're worth the couple of pound a year that comes out of my taxes, I'd probably say yes.

Sylla
02-07-2011, 13:06
Many call them parasites ! and I agree ... seems they love spending our money ! and where did their wealth come from in the first place ? no need for me to tell you !:gun::knight::fencing::ban:

pablo1
02-07-2011, 13:23
Ha ha! I can see where this is going - a forum where we're up in arms when you have to pay 5cents for a plastic bag is highly unlikely to be filled with monarch loving members! :-)

Suej
02-07-2011, 14:02
Given the choice Pablo IŽd rather not have to pay for my carrier bags:lol:

:queen::sailor: Should have a poll?

big simmo999
02-07-2011, 14:17
I have no problem with the immediate royals - if we didn't have them we would only have to pay the same amount of money for a president or similar (tony blair springs to mind - so I'm for the royals)

Brian
02-07-2011, 15:01
I see nothing wrong with having a Monarch, but do we need so many hanger-ons.

Lucy Fer
02-07-2011, 15:06
I see nothing wrong with having a Monarch, but do we need so many hanger-ons.

Agree ....

tfemark
02-07-2011, 15:11
Being ex armed forces, I for one am very proud of my Queen and everything she stands for, but as for all the hangers on that dangle from her coat tails is another topic all together

caroletenerife
02-07-2011, 17:05
The Queen has my respect, as does Anne, she works hard and only courts the media if it will benefit her charities, Save the Children, for example, the rest of her children have been an embarassment to her and the country. Beatrice and her sister, whatever her name is seem a bit dodgy. The princes seem well grounded and I like them both, hopefully Dianas influence in their early years has made them appreciate they are NOT normal but have extremely priviliged lives that should not be taken for granted. As for exchanging the monarchy for a president, it would probaly cost as much..but without the sparkly stuff and shiny parades the tourists seem to love so much. No one does pomp and pageantry like the UK, except mabey the Vatican

doreen
02-07-2011, 17:20
Not too many Royalists on board, I see :)

Actually, the Queen's visit to Ireland really surprised me - she did genuinely look like she was enjoying herself ... and a friend of mine who was in a select group to meet her, found her charming and interested ... all in all, quite a performance by an 85 and 90 year old.

But don't get me started on the Vatican ;)

MrsTT
02-07-2011, 17:23
I admire the Queen and the traditions that she represents. She has been steadfast in her role as a head of state, she has always worked on behalf of the country, and she has adapted to the changing demands of the world. Her presence may cost the country but it also earns the country money. She employs hundreds, if not thousands of people in her service. The tourist trade earns umpteen millions and employs many workers, because other people want to come & see the history of the country embodied in the palaces and ceremonies.
The past Empire may not be to modern PC taste, but the network that has resulted may do more good than a hundred colonies, in that the countries who have chosen to join the Commonwealth, have a talking shop with a head of state they all respect.

Yes she has made mistakes, but when you look at her continued work load, and that of many of her family, are there other workers in the world who would provide the same workplace record? At 85 she is an inspiration. She has the benfits of wealth, position and power but she has chosen to share her privilege by dedicating her whole life to her role in the world.

Susief
02-07-2011, 17:26
I too am proud of our Queen, she is a brilliant ambassador for the UK.
I think she did a great job for relations on her recent trip to Ireland. Many didn't want her there and threatened all sorts but she stood strong!
Her long marriage to Philip is to be commended too!

Bazz
02-07-2011, 17:35
But don't get me started on the Vatican ;)

Why not? Start another thread. ;)

reggie
02-07-2011, 17:51
They serve no purpose, hang them, and turn buck house into a homeless shelter, for british born people, Teach them how to survive on there own, retrain them , whatever it takes, give them a brush and barrow to make them feel usefull, Sell off all the paintings and furniture, to lower the nations det, build new houses in the gardens, sell them at massive cost, location location location, better than chayofa, who wants to live up there, Its only 5 minutes drive to where you should be in the first place, Not location not location not location,

marbro8
02-07-2011, 18:01
never really been a fan, especially of that a*se prince Philip:crazy: however i have respect for wills and harry because they have fought for their country, but what gets me is the way they portray themselves as holier than thou and you can tell a mile off that harry is the lovechild of james hewitt!!!

reggie
02-07-2011, 18:28
They love all that army navy stuff, but its all a show, i laugh my c-ck off when there all on the balcony with more medals than antique road show, even edward the big tart, phillip with 7 2ft rows of medals queenie gave him, harry's photo shoot playing with a machine gun, wills fast tracked through to flying helicopters, like they really are involved with fighting, what a load of crap, the future king plucking injured people off the cliffs, they must think we are stupid, storm the palace and lynch them all, i wonder what deal hewitt did to keep his mouth shut, Jeez ,

confidential
02-07-2011, 19:06
Who Killed Diana? She was Royalty.

karinagal
02-07-2011, 19:34
I have to say I have no strong feelings for the monarchy either way - they serve a purpose I suppose... however, I have to admit to being fascinated with the history of the monarchy through the ages, and I have a particular fondness for the Tudor and Elizabethan era's.... and before my hubby steps in, no - it's nothing at all to do with the scrummy King Henry in the Tudors series.....! (Jonathan Rhys Meyers - now I certainly would not kick him out of bed for farting...) :whistle:

Davie Thistle
02-07-2011, 19:54
.........nuthin.

:grufalo:

Harmonicaman
02-07-2011, 20:23
Not a great deal to me, but the History involved is breath-taking! Look at this timeline; (http://www.britroyals.com/rulers.htm) you cannot fail to be impressed by the sense of a shared national royal ancestry.

caroletenerife
02-07-2011, 20:30
Not a great deal to me, but the History involved is breath-taking! Look at this timeline; (http://www.britroyals.com/rulers.htm) you cannot fail to be impressed by the sense of a shared national royal ancestry.

So as we see the only current British royal blood comes from the jocks :D:D:D

Pink shoes
02-07-2011, 20:36
Ha ha! I can see where this is going - a forum where we're up in arms when you have to pay 5cents for a plastic bag is highly unlikely to be filled with monarch loving members! :-)

Pablo, you made me laugh about the carrier bags.

I think it is also true about William and Harry fast tracking through the forces.

What do I think of the royals? well the luxury end of the scales. It is sometimes difficult to watch them on TV or in the newspaper on luxury holidays, designer clothes, private schools. Nannies. maids and staff for their every need.

Tom & Sharon
02-07-2011, 20:40
I was on Anglesey last weekend and the weather although good on the mainland was a bit ropey,high seas,high winds and misty almost to the point of fog.
Overhead from the mist came a Sea king helicopter,it wasn't Will's, however it made me think what a brave bunch of souls the RAF rescue squads :boat: are going out in weather like that,so Prince William :king: has my respect and so does Prince Harry fighting in the forces.
Can't stand that prat Edward,seem to remember him failing commando training some years ago,and don't even get me started on that waste of breathable air,Andrew:mad:

Tom

caroletenerife
02-07-2011, 21:08
I was on Anglesey last weekend and the weather although good on the mainland was a bit ropey,high seas,high winds and misty almost to the point of fog.
Overhead from the mist came a Sea king helicopter,it wasn't Will's, however it made me think what a brave bunch of souls the RAF rescue squads :boat: are going out in weather like that,so Prince William :king: has my respect and so does Prince Harry fighting in the forces.
Can't stand that prat Edward,seem to remember him failing commando training some years ago,and don't even get me started on that waste of breathable air,Andrew:mad:

Tom

Your right about Edward, he had his bodyguards help him and did not have to complete the whole training course...and still failed, saw Andy in a pub in Plymouth once when he was in the navy, he was an arrogant prat,,and it would appear time has done nothing for his demeanor. For all the royals wealth and privilige i would not want to live in their goldfish bowl.

DaveRF
02-07-2011, 21:14
I have great respect for the Queen but little for the rest of them except perhaps Wills and Harry. In all her years the Queen has made very few errors IMHO. Despite her great wealth and privilege her life is not her own and I doubt many people would be able to carry out her role as successfully as she has. Her own happiness comes way way down the list of priorities in her life and I wouldn't swap places with her for anything.

dokgolf
02-07-2011, 21:21
She Got a right "royal" welcome in Ireland ( forgive the pun ) a few weeks ago. For security reasons, she wasn't allowed to meet the public so entire streets were cordoned off during her visit. However, she took matters into her own hands in Cork, and went on an impromptu meet and greet. Her security and the Irish cops were having apoplexy. She got my respect for this:hat:

dede
02-07-2011, 21:45
I love queeny but she let me down when she visited ireland and tested the guiness take a look here
http://youtu.be/K5qy1Wendm8

dokgolf
02-07-2011, 21:52
I love queeny but she let me down when she visited ireland and tested the guiness take a look here

:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing: Brilliant! I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't hold my drink!

Susief
02-07-2011, 22:26

Love that Dede. Even hubby had a chuckle.

howard thornton
03-07-2011, 13:22
They serve no purpose, hang them, and turn buck house into a homeless shelter, for british born people, Teach them how to survive on there own, retrain them , whatever it takes, give them a brush and barrow to make them feel usefull, Sell off all the paintings and furniture, to lower the nations det, build new houses in the gardens, sell them at massive cost, location location location, better than chayofa, who wants to live up there, Its only 5 minutes drive to where you should be in the first place, Not location not location not location,

hey reggie i thought you would know,the asians have already had plans passed to convert buck palace into a mosque, will you be happy then? lol

reggie
03-07-2011, 13:30
Howard, that wouldnt surprise me, its only a matter of time, oh and a green roof,

howard thornton
03-07-2011, 13:34
Howard, that wouldnt surprise me, its only a matter of time, oh and a green roof,

yep the pikeys would soon nick that.

with cheese
03-07-2011, 22:58
Behave you two, it has been left to the Scientologists.