PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite homemade food?

Ed3229
02-06-2011, 07:14
After making the Pork Pies for our Farm shop it got me thinking.....Whats your favourite home made food....

My wife makes fresh bread every day........LOVE that.

Heffalumpy
02-06-2011, 09:18
Well the dragon make alot of homemade food.. WHERE would I begin!
Its all lovely.
But if you pushed me, all the many curries she can do.......

Ecky Thump
02-06-2011, 09:24
Mince & new potatoes or Liver and onions........both highly under rated meals.

leahd
02-06-2011, 11:01
Stovies ..... yum

YOUNG GOLFER
02-06-2011, 11:07
Anything hefalumpys wife makes....she is the best homemade cook i have ever met.

Malteser Monkey
02-06-2011, 11:22
My stew, braising steak and onions (with yorks pud) and my carne con papas !

and my lemon drizzle cake

sunspot
02-06-2011, 11:28
Bread and butter pudding and lardy cake...............oh yes
Liver and onions
Home made Lasagne..................yum, yum

Malteser Monkey
02-06-2011, 11:34
Stovies ..... yum

Stovies ?? What's that please

Zara
02-06-2011, 11:52
My stew, braising steak and onions (with yorks pud) and my carne con papas !

and my lemon drizzle cake

Is that my Lemon Drizzle recipe you nicked?

Oh no just realised it's not on the blog yet scheduled for when I'm away :hail::hail: Sorry :o

blue marlin
02-06-2011, 11:56
Anything hefalumpys wife makes....she is the best homemade cook i have ever met.

Will second that oh how i miss those boozy meals

Malteser Monkey
02-06-2011, 11:56
it was a sainsbury's recipie however they have changed the ingredients there now it is gorgeous

anyone want the recipie ??

tonypub
02-06-2011, 12:00
pease pudding:hungry:

Ecky Thump
02-06-2011, 12:33
Stovies ?? What's that please

A Scottish meal made with

Slices of potato
A little dripping
Onions
Meat....Lamb or Beef left overs (you can use corned beef)
Beef stock
Salt and pepper

Whack it in the oven until brown on top (about 50 minuets) and eat.

There are many versions of this and you never get two the same.:chef:

Malteser Monkey
02-06-2011, 12:41
A Scottish meal made with

Slices of potato
A little dripping
Onions
Meat....Lamb or Beef left overs (you can use corned beef)
Beef stock
Salt and pepper

Whack it in the oven until brown on top (about 50 minuets) and eat.

There are many versions of this and you never get two the same.:chef:

Nice plain old fashioned food lovely !

Talking of corned beef - whilst living there I picked up a little supper/lunch number to do

peel and cube potatoes and fry then drain

chop an onion fry along with cubed corned beef - when cooked move the mixture to the side of frying pan, beat an egg or two pour into frying pan and mix up til its cooked. Mix all ingredients together and put on a plate

Lovely with Tommy sauce or tomatoes:hungry:

slodgedad
02-06-2011, 12:44
I'm boring..Give me roast lamb dinner any time with spuds, roasties, sprouts, cabbage, carrots, peas and Yorky pud with mint sauce..

tonypub
02-06-2011, 12:47
beef drippin on bread with loadsa salt

Leam_Lin
02-06-2011, 12:47
I'm boring..Give me roast lamb dinner any time with spuds, roasties, sprouts, cabbage, carrots, peas and Yorky pud with mint sauce..

Yum.............

Nicky
02-06-2011, 12:54
My steak pie... :) deelish! even if I do say so myself

Tinkabel
02-06-2011, 12:58
Meat and Potato Pie,
Homemade Quiche,
Rice Pudding,
Egg Custard,
Toad in the Hole
Liver and Onions...........makes a gravy to die for
Anything really but it always tastes better when its homemade.:hungry:

longtallalice
02-06-2011, 12:59
shepherds pie with loads of gravy yum yum :)

cinnamon
02-06-2011, 13:07
any homemade pasta... and a lamb roast... and my mum's "waraq einab" (egyptian dish- stuffed vine leaves):hungry:

Malteser Monkey
02-06-2011, 14:35
Meat and Potato Pie,
Homemade Quiche,
Rice Pudding,
Egg Custard,
Toad in the Hole
Liver and Onions...........makes a gravy to die for
Anything really but it always tastes better when its homemade.:hungry:

absol ! but do you make your own pastry - I make a wicked Steak n Kidney

Tinkabel
02-06-2011, 15:17
absol ! but do you make your own pastry - I make a wicked Steak n Kidney

Always, Usually make a big batch and freeze some, in fact just got some out to make a meat and potato pie for tea. yum yum

williethetim
02-06-2011, 15:32
Anything i can pronounce....

Bazz
02-06-2011, 15:40
Homemade lasagne. Easy to make and delicious. :crossfingers::cheers:

cjd01
02-06-2011, 15:40
Homemade yorkshire pud with loads of salt!
My lamb rogan josh!
Homemade ice cream!
The list could and should go on!

Sylla
02-06-2011, 16:10
All Greek food ...home made Pasticcio today , with greek Salad ...all made by OH .... and he make yummy bread ...:hungry:

gary d
02-06-2011, 17:18
home made chips cooked in an old fashioned chip pan

Brian
02-06-2011, 18:02
Bangers and Mash with onion gravy

Sylla
02-06-2011, 20:25
Asparagus very lightly cooked ..and dripping in melted butter ...together with home made bread ! Asparagus good for the heart ..amour! ? and attacks ! so we now learn is butter ...! :eyebrows:

sunspot
02-06-2011, 20:26
I really miss my mums home made fruit cake,it was the best thing on earth,apart from her...........:(

cinnamon
02-06-2011, 20:32
All Greek food ...home made Pasticcio today , with greek Salad ...all made by OH .... and he make yummy bread ...:hungry:

ok, i would leave my waraq einabs for some dolmades as well...http://www.yoursmiles.org/tsmile/eat/t1936.gif (http://www.yoursmiles.org/t-eat.php?page=1)

benward
02-06-2011, 20:49
Hickory Chicken Parmo :hungry:

marbro8
02-06-2011, 21:19
i have done all of our cooking since we got married and my favorite is a curry recipe given to me by an indian girl who worked with me for a while,also my mother in laws yorkshire pud mmmm it stuck to your ribs lol, and i got a good recipe for a coffee and walnut cake off the internet(cus jayne asher does not sell them anymore)and that was yummy

Greg
02-06-2011, 23:24
I love to get loads of different types of cheese on a plate, stick in the microwave till it all melts then dip smoked ham, onions and cherry tomatoes in it. Yummy.

DaveRF
02-06-2011, 23:29
Boring I know but anything with loads of fresh veg. My Dad has two allotments and supplies most of the family year round. At least 3 days a week we come home from work to a bag of veggies freshly picked that day. You can't beat a dinner made with produce picked and cooked the same day. :)

with cheese
02-06-2011, 23:31
I love to get loads of different types of cheese on a plate, stick in the microwave till it all melts then dip smoked ham, onions and cherry tomatoes in it. Yummy.

I'm here.

Home made beef stew and dumplings.

wen53
03-06-2011, 00:20
Chilli Con Carne but made with Baked Beans instead of Kidney Beans :hungry:

caroletenerife
03-06-2011, 00:30
Homemade Lentil soup x

Jelly Baby
03-06-2011, 00:33
I am always being asked to make my meatballs and meatloaf which always seem to go down well. Home made banana cake and carrot cake are well loved in our house too.

Ed3229
03-06-2011, 06:18
Steamed Leek Pud with stuffed and rolled breast of Lamb.........

clara
03-06-2011, 06:43
Homrmade mince and onion pie with loads of mushy peas and vinegar.

CaribeCelt
03-06-2011, 09:06
My Mum makes a big pot of home made soup,Broth,as we Irish call it.
Hard to beat on a winters day...or any day for that matter.

Zara
03-06-2011, 10:19

Stop .......... I've never seen a breast of lamb here I used to stuff it with mince and dried fruit and almonds :hungry:

My Mum makes a big pot of home made soup,Broth,as we irish call it.
Hard to beat on a winters day...or any day for that matter.

Hope it has pearl barley in it - yum yum

CaribeCelt
03-06-2011, 10:44
Stop .......... I've never seen a breast of lamb here I used to stuff it with mince and dried fruit and almonds :hungry

Hope it has pearl barley in it - yum yum

Sure it would'nt be the same without the barley;)

penelope pitstop
03-06-2011, 21:11
Sunday roast with lots of fresh veg & yorkshire puds.

penelope pitstop

DOREEN QUINN
03-06-2011, 22:13
Meat and potato pie with suet pastry, mushy peas and mint sauce.
Lamb chops, jersey royal potatoes and spring cabbage - oh how I miss jersey potatoes!!!

Greg
03-06-2011, 22:36
recipe PLEASE :hungry:

Ed3229
24-07-2012, 10:32
recipe PLEASE :hungry:
200g self-raising flour
100g shredded suet (beef or vegetable)
1 tsp English mustard powder
Salt and pepper
50g butter, plus more for greasing
6 slices unsmoked bacon, cut into 2cm pieces - use 12
3 leeks, white and pale green part only, washed and finely chopped - use 6
70ml double cream - double that to 140ml

Mix the flour and suet with the *mustard, a pinch of salt and pepper. Combine with just enough water – about 140ml or so – to make a *stiffish dough.

Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the bacon until just golden. *Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pan, gently sauté the leeks in the same fat until soft, move the pan from the heat and stir in the cream.

Roll out the dough into a large *circle. Cut a quarter out of the circle. Generously butter a one-and-a-half-litre pudding basin and line it by dropping the larger piece of pastry into it, drawing together the cut sides to make a firm join. I didn't know this trick but it worked flawlessly!

Fill with alternating layers of leeks and *bacon.

Roll out the remaining *quarter of pastry into a circle and lay it on top. Press together the edges of the pastry lid and casing to seal. Put a double layer of *buttered, pleated foil over the top and tie in place with string.

Put a large pan of water on to boil (fill the pan with enough water to come a *little more than halfway up the side of the basin), and place a pan lid or upturned tart tin in the bottom to act as a trivet. Lower the pudding on to the makeshift trivet, cover the pot and leave bubbling away for two hours. If the water gets low, top up with boiling water. I obviously used the steam oven which simply heats to 100C then cooks, with no requirement for more water, for the requisite two hours but if I am to make it again these instructions will come in handy.

Once cooked, remove the foil, run a knife around the edge of the pudding, turn out on to a plate and serve hot.

Ask your butcher for stuffed and rolled breat of lamb then cook long and slow..

fesdie
24-07-2012, 18:39
I just made my homemade macaroni with a twist, always hits the spot :-)

Ed3229
24-07-2012, 18:41
I just made my homemade macaroni with a twist, always hits the spot :-)
Im doing Kedgeree tonight....

fesdie
24-07-2012, 18:54
Love kedgeree, not made it in ages, could be tomorrows dinner sorted!

lesbroz
24-07-2012, 18:55
Yorkshire Pudding

Ecky Thump
09-04-2016, 23:36
Chicken Whatsit:D

Serves Four People

Ingredients...
Four Skinless Chicken Breasts
Tin Campbell's Condensed Chicken Soup
300ml Mayonnaise
150 grams Grated Cheddar Cheese
1 & 1/2 teaspoons Curry Powder (you can add more according to taste) :yum:
1 teaspoon English Mustard
2-3 slice Bread ((Crumbs)

Method...
Gently fry the Chicken and when cool cut into bite sized pieces, place into a oven dish, blend the Mayo, Curry Powder, Chicken soup & Mustard, then spoon in with the Chicken pieces. Mix the breadcrumbs and grated cheese together then layer it on to onto Chicken....DON'T press it into the Chicken and Mayo mix or it will become soggy, be gentle or it will become soggy.
Now Whack it into the oven (220c) for about 40 minutes until golden brown and crisp on top.

Spiced Onions

Chop one large onion, add one teaspoon mint sauce or chopped mint, add the juice of half a lemon, a dollop of tomato sauce & a dollop of chilli sauce...mix and chill.

Serve with rice, garlic bread & the spiced onions and then scoff with several bottles of dry white wine and beer. :wine:

lastperfectman
10-04-2016, 01:31
Beef Goulash, pretty please :cooking:

Ecky Thump
10-04-2016, 10:35

BALMORAL CHICKEN & CREAMY WHISKY SAUCE

Serves two

Balmoral Chicken - Ingredients:
2 large skinless chicken breasts
85g (approx) haggis ....Can be substituted with Black Pudding!!
6 rashers back bacon, smoked or unsmoked
10g melted butter
salt & pepper

Method:
Place the chicken breasts on a board and with a sharp knife, slice along the length to make a pocket in each. Form two long sausages of haggis and tuck these inside the chicken breasts, then cover with the flap of meat. Wrap the chicken breasts in bacon, covering as much of the chicken as possible. Brush with melted butter and season.

Wrap in tin foil and bake in the oven at 200C for 30 mins. After 20 mins open the tin foil parcel so the bacon can go crispy.

:scotland: Serve with either a 100% Proof Scottish Whisky Sauce or a boring Pepper Sauce.

Creamy Scottish Whisky Sauce

Ingredients.

30ml Scottish Whisky
150ml Double Cream
Salt
Pepper

Method

Add 30ml of Scottish Whisky (Not Irish Whiskey!) to a hot saucepan and set it alight ( melm please be careful, you don't want to singe your eyebrows :laugh:). The purpose of lighting the whisky is to burn of the alcohol, otherwise the sauce will taste bitter.
Add 150ml of double cream, season with salt and pepper, reduce the heat and allow the liquid to reduce to a nice thick consistency.
Once the liquid has reduced (usually by half), take it off the heat and pour over the Balmoral Chicken..

Please Note.

Bunnahabhain Scottish Malt Whisky can be used for the sauce, but a recommendation made to me by LindaD is that you simply pour this in a crystal glass over ice and swallow it neat.! :D

melm
10-04-2016, 16:27

Serves two

10g melted butter
salt & pepper

Method:
Place the chicken breasts on a board and with a sharp knife, slice along the length to make a pocket in each. Form two long sausages of haggis and tuck these inside the chicken breasts, then cover with the flap of meat. Wrap the chicken breasts in bacon, covering as much of the chicken as possible. Brush with melted butter and season.

Wrap in tin foil and bake in the oven at 200C for 30 mins. After 20 mins open the tin foil parcel so the bacon can go crispy.

:scotland: Serve with either a 100% Proof Scottish Whisky Sauce or a boring Pepper Sauce.

Ingredients.

30ml Scottish Whisky
150ml Double Cream
Salt
Pepper

Method

Add 30ml of Scottish Whisky (Not Irish Whiskey!) to a hot saucepan and set it alight ( melm please be careful, you don't want to singe your eyebrows :laugh:). The purpose of lighting the whisky is to burn of the alcohol, otherwise the sauce will taste bitter.
Add 150ml of double cream, season with salt and pepper, reduce the heat and allow the liquid to reduce to a nice thick consistency.
Once the liquid has reduced (usually by half), take it off the heat and pour over the Balmoral Chicken..

Please Note.

Bunnahabhain Scottish Malt Whisky can be used for the sauce, but a recommendation made to me by LindaD is that you simply pour this in a crystal glass over ice and swallow it neat.! :D

Whisky is best served in a glass. Proper whisky glass of course :)

You sound like an experienced cook ecky!

Ecky Thump
10-04-2016, 16:29
Whisky is best served in a glass. Proper whisky glass of course :)

You sound like an experienced cook ecky!

Generally I'm found to be pot washing! :D

melm
10-04-2016, 16:30
Generally I'm found to be pot washing! :D

Thought you might :laugh:

LindaD
10-04-2016, 21:32

Serves two

10g melted butter
salt & pepper

Method:

Ingredients.

30ml Scottish Whisky
150ml Double Cream
Salt
Pepper

Method

Please Note.

Sounds extremely good Ecky, the chicken that is!!!!!!!! I have lovely Edinburgh Crystal glasses which could be used for a nice malt :cheers2::cheers2::cheers2:

Ecky Thump
11-04-2016, 11:21
Chicken Whatsit:D

Serves Four People

Ingredients...
Four Skinless Chicken Breasts
Tin Campbell's Condensed Chicken Soup
300ml Mayonnaise
150 grams Grated Cheddar Cheese
1 & 1/2 teaspoons Curry Powder (you can add more according to taste) :yum:
1 teaspoon English Mustard
2-3 slice Bread ((Crumbs)

Method...
Gently fry the Chicken and when cool cut into bite sized pieces, place into a oven dish, blend the Mayo, Curry Powder, Chicken soup & Mustard, then spoon in with the Chicken pieces. Mix the breadcrumbs and grated cheese together then layer it on to onto Chicken....DON'T press it into the Chicken and Mayo mix or it will become soggy, be gentle or it will become soggy.
Now Whack it into the oven (220c) for about 40 minutes until golden brown and crisp on top.

Spiced Onions

Chop one large onion, add one teaspoon mint sauce or chopped mint, add the juice of half a lemon, a dollop of tomato sauce & a dollop of chilli sauce...mix and chill.

Serve with rice, garlic bread & the spiced onions and then scoff with several bottles of dry white wine and beer. :wine:

After making this yesterday evening for our visitors, I thought I was onto a winner, but then Carol went and got her Apple Crumble out of the oven, served it with ice cream from our local Italian cafe and my Chicken faded into the background.....there's no accounting for taste! :D

FredWisley
19-05-2016, 11:07
Mantyi! My mom used to cook it, they are awesome!

imablue
19-05-2016, 19:43
I would Kill for apple crumble and ice cream...gerr otta my way ...........:crazy:

Peterrayner
19-05-2016, 20:27
Homemade paella

tfs1
20-05-2016, 10:59
Homemade paella

Peterrayner, welcome back after such a long absence

Homemade paella my choice as well.

lamdersar
13-06-2016, 16:19
Its Pilaf! It looks kinda ugly in photos, but tastes just as heaven would!
https://www.novaturas.lt/img_srv/travels/roundtrip/plane/uztrtp36/475x365/trvl-rt-plane-uztrtp36-P-36_7d_4.jpg