PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with CCleaner please

Suej
03-07-2011, 17:00

Can anyone tell me which tasks I need to tick in the Advanced section of CCleaner...Iīm not sure my pc is getting a thorough clean with just the basics.

I donīt want it to wipe any settings so I am wary to tick any of the advanced boxes you can see what I already have ticked which includes all the boxes above that canīt be seen:o:o:o

Thanks!

AL JAY
03-07-2011, 17:26
I have the same ones ticked as yours Sue and don't meddle with the advanced ones, However i now use Hitman Pro which was recommended on here by Atlantico and also endorsed by Col nil satis and it found some nasty stuff missed by CCleaner and its also free!

Suej
03-07-2011, 17:55
I have the same ones ticked as yours Sue and don't meddle with the advanced ones, However i now use Hitman Pro which was recommended on here by Atlantico and also endorsed by Col nil satis and it found some nasty stuff missed by CCleaner and its also free!

Yeah AJ I also use hitman pro!:)

Balcony
03-07-2011, 19:27
is Hitman pro the Surfright programme?

Suej
03-07-2011, 20:36
is Hitman pro the Surfright programme?

Yes Balcony, handy little download!:)

tenerental
30-07-2011, 19:02
Can anyone tell me which tasks I need to tick in the Advanced section of CCleaner...Iīm not sure my pc is getting a thorough clean with just the basics.

I donīt want it to wipe any settings so I am wary to tick any of the advanced boxes you can see what I already have ticked which includes all the boxes above that canīt be seen:o:o:o

Thanks!

I saw this a couple of weeks ago Sue but didn't have time to answer. It's easier to tell you what I leave unticked and why.
IE :
Autocomplete Form History - I had a form I used often and wanted it saved.
Saved Passwords - not recommended but makes Skype, msn easier
Advanced:
Menu order cache - keeps favourites in my chosen order
Window size ... - windows open up where you close them
Wipe free space - takes too long
All the rest are ticked and I am only left with one minor irritation. Google.com is my homepage and remains so, but google.es comes up after a clean. I can't be bothered to identify which box is causing it, I just reset it.
There would be no PC problem if you ticked everything, but you would soon find the inconvenient things.

markcuk
30-07-2011, 19:18
try this http://www.google.com/ncr should stop google from redirecting you to google.es

Suej
30-07-2011, 19:25
try this http://www.google.com/ncr should stop google from redirecting you to google.es

Thanks! I will look at the link now!;)

Added after 2 minutes:

I saw this a couple of weeks ago Sue but didn't have time to answer. It's easier to tell you what I leave unticked and why.
IE :
Advanced:

Hi Tenerental! nice to see you back!:hello:
All the rest are ticked and I am only left with one minor irritation. Google.com is my homepage and remains so, but google.es comes up after a clean. I can't be bothered to identify which box is causing it, I just reset it.
There would be no PC problem if you ticked everything, but you would soon find the inconvenient things.

Hi Tenerental! Thanks for the post, Iīll check the above items when I next use CCleaner! nice to see you back!:wave:

slodgedad
30-07-2011, 21:54
IE :
Advanced:

If you go into options on CCleaner and click cookies you have the option to save. Maybe you are deleting the cookie every time you clean

markcuk
30-07-2011, 22:15
as i said above change your homepage to http://www.google.com/ncr and it will stop the redirect

Suej
31-07-2011, 10:34
If you go into options on CCleaner and click cookies you have the option to save. Maybe you are deleting the cookie every time you clean

I tried moving cookies to save but I canīt see where cookies are related to Google my homepage goes to Google.es after every clean too!

timmylish
01-08-2011, 01:14
I tried moving cookies to save but I canīt see where cookies are related to Google my homepage goes to Google.es after every clean too!

Of course it does 'xause you are inSpain. Change the settings on Google.es.
Top right of page is the options. Play around with that and you be able to change Google to the location (country) of choice.

tenerental
02-08-2011, 09:29

Thanks sd, you gave me the incentive to do finally something about it. Pre-clean, go into options and move google.com to 'cookies to keep' and my little irritation has been cured!

Suej
02-08-2011, 16:54
Thanks sd, you gave me the incentive to do finally something about it. Pre-clean, go into options and move google.com to 'cookies to keep' and my little irritation has been cured!

Found it! saved cookies..Yep it works!:jump2:

anegib
02-08-2011, 18:29
I use CCleaner and it was put in my computer by a professional. He left all the 'advanced' stuff unticked and seems to work fine for me, hope that helps you.

Cliffl
09-08-2011, 16:38
I have just read your question on using Ccleaner, and the comments from people for you to use Hitman Pro.
Now am I missing something here because they are 2 different programs !!!
Ccleaner (originally called Crap Cleaner is exactly that) it cleans up your pc getting rid of temporary files, emptying the trash can, cleaning out the registry and letting you uninstall programs etc and that's it. It is not used to detect Viruses or malware or spy ware.
If you want to get rid of malware then that is a different ball game.
You should have a decent Antivirus Program and also run Malwarebytes one of the best if not the best out there and recommended by most of the Big Antivirus companies. Plus a good Firewall.

Regards Cliff

Suej
09-08-2011, 17:02
I have just read your question on using Ccleaner, and the comments from people for you to use Hitman Pro.
Now am I missing something here because they are 2 different programs !!!
Ccleaner (originally called Crap Cleaner is exactly that) it cleans up your pc getting rid of temporary files, emptying the trash can, cleaning out the registry and letting you uninstall programs etc and that's it. It is not used to detect Viruses or malware or spy ware.
If you want to get rid of malware then that is a different ball game.
You should have a decent Antivirus Program and also run Malwarebytes one of the best if not the best out there and recommended by most of the Big Antivirus companies. Plus a good Firewall.

Regards Cliff

Thanks for your reply Cliff! I have explained in another thread some time ago I have Bitdefender Full Internet Security and it is not compatible with Malwarebytes, I have just installed the new Bitdefender 2011 version so could try installing Malwarebytes again and see what happens. What do you think? I have solved the CCleaner queries by the way :D

markcuk
09-08-2011, 17:16
I think they now work together (free version)

but you have to add this rule to bitdefnder for it to update

Setting Rules for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in BitDefender 2011 Products(Internet Security and Total Security):

Open BitDefender
Click Options and select Expert View
In Expert View,
Click on Firewall on the left, then click on Programs
Click on Add Rule and make 2 rules: one for mbam.exe and one for mbamservice.exe

Suej
09-08-2011, 17:25
I think they now work together (free version)

but you have to add this rule to bitdefnder for it to update

Setting Rules for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in BitDefender 2011 Products(Internet Security and Total Security):

Open BitDefender
Click Options and select Expert View
In Expert View,
Click on Firewall on the left, then click on Programs
Click on Add Rule and make 2 rules: one for mbam.exe and one for mbamservice.exe

I assume you mean free version of Malwarebytes? the Bitdefender program is a paid version. Thanks!

markcuk
09-08-2011, 18:22
Yes sorry :)

Cliffl
11-08-2011, 12:07
Hi Suej, there are some wonderful free programs about. Another good free one is "Winpatrol" there is a free version and a paid for version.
The only difference is that with the paid for version if there is a file that you are suspicious of (maybe windows has reported it) then with the paid for version you can type in the file name and the program will tell you exactly what it is and if it is safe or not. This program will allow you to sort out all your startup programs and remove ones that you do not want or require. It does not delete them just stops them from starting up so your PC ends up a lot quicker. It is a very useful program so do use it.
But I have no doubt having been told by a very, very, large independent software company that Malwarebytes is a must have program.

Kind Regards Cliff