PDA

View Full Version : Please help me get rid of a smell in an oven!

dokgolf
04-07-2011, 10:06
Would anyone know how to get rid of oven smells? We cooked a tray of oven chips for the kids last week but didn't use them all. We ended up forgetting about them in the oven, and went away for a week. On coming back, the smell was awful. I have cleaned the oven with bleach and also with bicarbonate ( baking) soda with no effect. I have left half an onion in but again nothing. Any help will be gratefully received as the smell is rank!:pray:

Suej
04-07-2011, 10:28
Would anyone know how to get rid of oven smells? We cooked a tray of oven chips for the kids last week but didn't use them all. We ended up forgetting about them in the oven, and went away for a week. On coming back, the smell was awful. I have cleaned the oven with bleach and also with bicarbonate ( baking) soda with no effect. I have left half an onion in but again nothing. Any help will be gratefully received as the smell is rank!:pray:

You could try cutting up a few lemons Dokgolf! just lay the halves in the oven for a couple of days, if you need to use the oven make sure it has completely cooled before replacing the lemons. It´s worth a try! (works a treat in my slow cooker);)

dokgolf
04-07-2011, 10:30
You could try cutting up a few lemons Dokgolf! just lay the halves in the oven for a couple of days, if you need to use the oven make sure it has completely cooled before replacing the lemons. It´s worth a try! (works a treat in my slow cooker);)

Sue, you're a star. I'll give that a go. S'one told me that a cut up onion would have the same effect. They were wrong!:)

caroletenerife
04-07-2011, 10:30
Try vinager, wash the inside with it, then put a bowl inside on a low heat. Heat the empty oven afterwards really high, because if the chips were mouldy you might have bacteria in there.

Andy0210
04-07-2011, 10:34
Large bowl of water with a few spoonfuls of Caustic Soda (Soda Caustico) and leave the oven on full for about 1/2 an hour. Make sure you only use cold water and not hot as the caustic soda boils the water and wear very thick rubber gloves.

This is also a good time to clean it as well as it just makes the grease drip off or easy to wipe off. :)

jmcd
04-07-2011, 10:39

TRY THIS LINK

ehow

http://www.ehow.com/search.html?q=oven+smells&skin=home&t=all

And especially this page...scroll down

http://www.ehow.com/how_6586535_remove-smells-oven.html

dokgolf
04-07-2011, 10:48
Large bowl of water with a few spoonfuls of Caustic Soda (Soda Caustico) and leave the oven on full for about 1/2 an hour. Make sure you only use cold water and not hot as the caustic soda boils the water and wear very thick rubber gloves.

This is also a good time to clean it as well as it just makes the grease drip off or easy to wipe off. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that already with no success:(

Added after 2 minutes:

Try vinager, wash the inside with it, then put a bowl inside on a low heat. Heat the empty oven afterwards really high, because if the chips were mouldy you might have bacteria in there.

Thanks Carole, there is definitely bacteria there cos the oven itself is now spotless!! Have to go out now to buy some lemons and vinegar!

Balcony
04-07-2011, 10:57
Check the oven hood too, as the liners often absorb and hold smells. Change the filters if necessary. Also clean the outer body of the cooker hood, as a lot of garbage gets caught there.

with cheese
04-07-2011, 13:58
Hope it was switched off.
How to get rid, lemon juice, bicarb and a little water in an oven proof dish, put on a mid heat. Then wash out using a new mix of same. Failing this, go to Currys.

Malteser Monkey
04-07-2011, 14:08
Hope it was switched off.
How to get rid, lemon juice, bicarb and a little water in an oven proof dish, put on a mid heat. Then wash out using a new mix of same. Failing this, go to Currys.

or cook one !

Pink shoes
04-07-2011, 16:59
I was going to say cut up lemons but someone beat me to it!

How about leaving the door of the oven open for the fresh air to get in?

dokgolf
04-07-2011, 20:06
How about leaving the door of the oven open for the fresh air to get in?

The smell was too bad. However, the problem is now solved, I heated the oven with lemons soaking in a bowl of vinegar. The oven is now in pristine condition. Thanks once agin everybody!:hat:

Suej
04-07-2011, 20:10
You won´t forget again to check if you´ve left anything in the oven Dokgolf!:lol::lol::lol:

dokgolf
04-07-2011, 20:20
You won´t forget again to check if you´ve left anything in the oven Dokgolf!:lol::lol::lol:

Thats for sure!:doh:

reggie
04-07-2011, 22:05
Semtex, small amount, oven on full, go out for a while, i guarantee 100% it will be gone, when you return