PDA

View Full Version : Live Arico Refuge Visit - Who's Up for It?

SuzyQ
05-07-2011, 01:25
I am more than happy to do a refuge tour, early afternoon is good as the cleaning has been done by then. Any day good for me, including weekends. Around 25% of the dogs are outside the kennels/ agility area, so you will be surrounded but the babies are (generally) well behaved, lol. You wont lose any limbs, put it that way :D
We make regular appeals via this forum, I would rather members be happy about where the money goes, etc The only way to see this is to visit, as only then can a valid opinion be formed. Please let me know and we´ll sort it. :)

caroletenerife
05-07-2011, 01:46
I'll come x

karinagal
05-07-2011, 11:29
I'd love a visit too! I'm over from 16th - 24th July. I'll be dropping by the stall on the Golf del Sur Market on Friday 22nd July to make my usual donation....!

Karina

dede
05-07-2011, 12:23
Although i support Live arico in every way i can, I just could not visit the refuge again, i got my little one there just after christmas and i went to the refuge to choose her, but i am very nervous of big dogs and dogs i dont know, and i was very afraid even though i was assured the dogs are ok, there are alot of them there so if your nervous of dogs you need to really think about a visit. They are doing a fantastic job there but you dont need to see it to know this, so dont feel bad if you dont want to visit.

caretenerife
05-07-2011, 13:33
I feel if I go again it would be a case of how many will fit in a Freelander on the way home, will stick to adopting odd ones from the website,

SuzyQ
08-07-2011, 01:58
How about Saturday 23rd then??? Karinagal will be here. Anyone else? Its no worries either way, I just want people to see how we work, anyone who might wonder after reading the drivel posted on another thread......

Dede, it was funny when you came up, lol. They were all jumping up at you. Look what you took away though, the lovely jessie, even if she is a little swine. I think all LA dogs are naughty, its an entry requirement, lolol. x

karinagal
08-07-2011, 09:06
How about Saturday 23rd then??? Karinagal will be here. Anyone else? Its no worries either way, I just want people to see how we work, anyone who might wonder after reading the drivel posted on another thread......

Dede, it was funny when you came up, lol. They were all jumping up at you. Look what you took away though, the lovely jessie, even if she is a little swine. I think all LA dogs are naughty, its an entry requirement, lolol. x

Note to self: don't wear white, it shows up the paw prints!! :D

Lucy Fer
08-07-2011, 10:09
Do visits have to be prearranged. I would rather go on the off chance not just to Live Arico but anywhere you see things as they really are.

dede
08-07-2011, 10:32

Yes suzy i could see you all having a good laugh at me:eyebrows::eyebrows: but your right i wouldnt be blessed with a little demon now ( but i do love her):crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

doreen
08-07-2011, 10:53

I'll try to be there - my friend Caroline might be over then too :)

SuzyQ
08-07-2011, 11:43
You can go most afternoons between 1 and 5 Karinagal, and yes, no White, I've made that mistake many a time.

You'll see it "as it is" on the 23rd though, it's just I'll be there if the others are busy. :)

Doreen, it would be nice to see Caroline again now we have moved the dogs. :)

You can go most afternoons between 1 and 5 Karinagal, and yes, no White, I've made that mistake many a time.

You'll see it "as it is" on the 23rd though, it's just I'll be there if the others are busy. :)

Doreen, it would be nice to see Caroline again now we have moved the dogs. :)

mominnie
08-07-2011, 22:45
Very pleased that you are coming Doreen and as Suzy has said it will be nice to see Caroline again. X Of course I will be there too. XX
White, Black, Blue Red....no difference really with colour ! LOL...the dogs jump up to get a hug and kiss and give you a free washdown with kisses...at our weekly meeting on Wednesday I had 3 sitting on me for a cuddle, Sue had Jadda for her obligatory cuddly and an extra puppy ...Eugenio with OF COURSE PEPO !!! Conny with 3 little un´s and one of our Angel supporters whose normal board meetings are conducted in much grander surroundings with a few on his lap....the dogs just love the attention and big or small all they want is that. I love going up and don´t have the time to do it as often as I would like to...every day would be my ideal as I just LOVE hugs ! XXX

Added after 1 54 minutes:

I feel if I go again it would be a case of how many will fit in a Freelander on the way home, will stick to adopting odd ones from the website,

Oh you fibber you !!!!!!!!!!!!

Added after 7 minutes:

Do visits have to be prearranged. I would rather go on the off chance not just to Live Arico but anywhere you see things as they really are.

The refuge is open Wednesday to Saturday between 1pm and 5pm, Sundays by appointment, only because we have a lot of volunteers on this day and much work is being done so for the resident team up there they need to spend their time working with the volunteers to get as much done as possible. On the other days, you can just turn up between those hours to either visit the dogs, volunteer to help or just have a chat with us. Nothing is different on ANY given day...all at the refuge are too too busy to have time to make anything different for just one day. Do hope you will visit with us one day. Thankyou X

SuzyQ
17-07-2011, 17:46
Are we still ok for next Saturday? I had it in my mind it was Sunday until I checked this thread, silly me. How about 2pm? Let me know this is ok for you all. Anyone else want to come?

doreen
17-07-2011, 17:58
I'm unlikely to be with you before 3 ... and sadly no word from Caroline

SuzyQ
17-07-2011, 18:03
3pm is fine with me. Karinagal / Caroletenerife, OK with you too? Shame about Caroline, I was looking forward to meeting her again.

caroletenerife
17-07-2011, 18:13
yeh will get someone to cover afternoon in the shop xx

SuzyQ
18-07-2011, 01:53
Ok, so thats 3pm next saturday then :)

SuzyQ
24-07-2011, 18:35
Sorry you couldnt make it Karinagal, but thanks for the donation to Tanos op. :)
Well, there was me, Astara, Mominnie and Caroletenerife, but then again we are LA people in any case. The only non LA person to take me up on the offer was Doreen, and we were grateful for her time. The dogs behaved well, apart from a minor skirmish from Felicity the pit bull cross, but I think even Doreen found it funny when Eugene chastised her, using her unfitting name, lol.
The invitation is open. I would rather take a couple of hours showing people round than them be unsure about what we do. Especially when we are always asking for money for something. Anyone who asks "where does all the money go" only needs to come and have a look. Then its blindingly obvious. Thank you again Doreen :)

doreen
24-07-2011, 21:30
:lol: She certainly didn't look like a Felicity ... yes, the dogs were indeed well behaved. I can see you have all worked hard to bring progress to LA: our viewpoints will probably never coincide, but that shouldn't stop people trying to help the dogs.

I liked the project you were talking about to build an extra shady area - maybe we could have a thread devoted to it to drum up some support - before, during & after :)

mominnie
25-07-2011, 00:18
I would like to add many Thanks to Doreen for being the only non L A supporter to come and take a look at how far we have progressed. It is not shiny and perfect but thankfully with support, love and hard work we will continue to progress to the dream we have for Live Arico. I would hope that from now on with the continued invitation to come and see what we strive to do that all will be aware that we are open, honest and above all committed to achieving perfection for the dogs and that in the future any negative comments can be assuaged by the fact that a very respected member of this forum was the only one to come and see the fact that we are what we say we are, difference of viewpoints aside. Thankyou Doreen for your very valuable time and that of your associates, who being Spanish, I feel, bring a new point of view to their countrymen. They were extremely open to listening to the stories behind many of the dogs and I would like to say Muchas gracias to them also. Perhaps their visit with you may make a diference also. Mille Grazie X

Added after 9 minutes:

I will be posting again the Wish List Project soon..many small items have been donated that have made a difference but we need more !!!!! Also half year figures will be posted asap...life has just got in the way recently..but it will come !!! the last week has been pretty good for a change , many dogs rehomed both here , Germany and other European countries, more coming in....all areas seem to be just bursting at the seams, 4 in from Amarilla Golf alone ! El Medano seems to be a hot spot yet again but it is summer and a prime time for abandonment and Podenco intakes..but we just go on and persevere. The shops are up and down as is the way again at the time of year but we have such fantastic support all round from both British and Spanish that somehow and someway by the Grace Of God..we get there day by day. Thanks All for your support ! XX

SuzyQ
25-07-2011, 01:25
:lol: She certainly didn't look like a Felicity ... yes, the dogs were indeed well behaved. I can see you have all worked hard to bring progress to LA: our viewpoints will probably never coincide, but that shouldn't stop people trying to help the dogs.

I liked the project you were talking about to build an extra shady area - maybe we could have a thread devoted to it to drum up some support - before, during & after :)

Thank you Doreen. Yes, the shady area. I will start another thread as soon as I have some figures from Eugene about what is needed and how much it costs. As the refuge is mostly open, shade is a problem ,and the dogs go under anything available at the mo. In fact, I took some footage on my phone a couple of weeks ago when I went up there mid afternoon, it was completely silent and no dogs in sight, all sleeping under cars, buses, tables, anything. Funny. But a massive shady area will be great. I will get those figures and start the thread asap.