PDA

View Full Version : Passports in the UK.

captain jack sparrow
05-07-2011, 11:11
Hi all, My wife just returned from the post office where they recommended to her their " check and send " service,

Now the lady in the post office said it is £8 per passport and says it will be returned a lot quicker than sending it yourself special delivery.

This is where it all kicked off as i began to explain to my wife that the post office have no authority regarding the passport office and their turnaround time, The argument got quite heated, to the point where I rang the passport office.

Turns out she was right,:surrender::surrender:

The lady at the passport office said "that it can take up to a week for us to get around to checking the form over whereas we trust the post office in checking service and goes straight to processing." Turnaround time at the moment (Peak) 2-3 weeks. Just a bit of info for anyone wanting a last min.
passport. Ohh, and that women are sometimes right

Goforgold
05-07-2011, 11:18
Thanks for the info CJS - very useful :)

garlicbread
05-07-2011, 11:25
It was like that when I left in 2003 so it's hardly new information.

Tom & Sharon
05-07-2011, 11:34
Tom just renewed his 2 weeks ago. He didn't use the Post Office service, and it was back in 5 days!

captain jack sparrow
05-07-2011, 11:39
Are you referring to the bit about the women being right now and again garlicbread ??

Wasnt trying to say it was a new service, just that the post office don't advertise the fact that it is a quicker turnaround, Plus, i for one didnt know that it was 1-2 weeks quicker than a normal application.

Goforgold
05-07-2011, 11:42
Are you referring to the bit about the women being right now and again garlicbread ??

Wasnt trying to say it was a new service, just that the post office don't advertise the fact that it is a quicker turnaround, Plus, i for one didnt know that it was 1-2 weeks quicker than a normal application.

Any information is new information, to someone who doesn't know about it!! :)

Thanks again!! :)

captain jack sparrow
05-07-2011, 11:44
there is three of my family wanting passports, i know, left it until last min. two wanting renewals and one first application, didn't want to risk it not coming back in time T&S, But it is reassuring that tom got his back that quick.

garlicbread
05-07-2011, 12:08
Glad you're getting sorted Cap'n Jack, remember women are ALWAYS right, or so 'er indoors informs me :):)

Chris P. Bacon
05-07-2011, 12:17
I used the post office the last time I renewed my passport. The advantage is that the information is checked before sending it in, which prevents any possible delays in case your photo does not fit the requirements or something else minor, in which case they would end up sending it back to you. Well worth the money if you need the passport by a certain time....

Susief
05-07-2011, 13:11
It's well worth the £8.
First time did check and go it took 3 goes to get it right, eg signature outside box!

captain jack sparrow
05-07-2011, 13:28
The main point i was making was, that passport office said that they don't check the application forms once received, ( which takes up to a week to check them through !! ) They put their trust in the post office and forward them through to be processed straight away, Hence the quick turnaround, Just found it a bit surprising.

Tom & Sharon
05-07-2011, 13:34
Tom just renewed his 2 weeks ago. He didn't use the Post Office service, and it was back in 5 days!

Provided you do the basics right, ie photo is the correct standard (it tells you what is and isn't acceptable in the covering literature), you keep your signature in the box:whistle:and enclose the correct fee and other documentation,then its quite simple.
I would not recommend to do it without the PO checking service if its multiple applications or first time applications as it does become complicated.

Mine was a ten year renewal to the Liverpool Office and it was back within the week and £77.50.

Tom:hat:

Pink shoes
05-07-2011, 15:11
Thanks for posting, and info for travelers is useful.

I have just renewed our EU cards. They did not arrive back in time for out trip to Tenerife so I phoned a man/woman who knows and she said we were still covered as we had applied.