PDA

View Full Version : EHIC card (formerly E111)

Bazz
05-07-2011, 15:28
After reading the passport thread earlier on it reminded me of an article I read in the papers at the weekend regarding the EHIC card.
Make sure that you apply for your card on the proper website as some people are applying on certain web addresses which are charging for the privilege!!! :mad:
The EHIC card is FREE, you do not pay for it!
I think the proper web address is www.ehic.org.uk
If you go to a website that says you have to pay for it you'll know you're on the wrong one! :(

Balcony
05-07-2011, 15:34
Someone should post where you can the equivalent in Spanish territories.

Also, remember to take the card to tenerife with you (as well as commercial travel insurance) and now and then check the card, as it does have an expiry date. Then you just re-apply.

Ed3229
05-07-2011, 15:45
Just done ours.....You can do them for under 16's just use the NI number of the main applicant.....

bonitatime
05-07-2011, 15:48
Kirsty knew it and I mean to to book mark it. Perhaps she or someone more organised will be by next.

BobMac
06-07-2011, 10:02
Someone should post where you can the equivalent in Spanish territories.

Also, remember to take the card to tenerife with you (as well as commercial travel insurance) and now and then check the card, as it does have an expiry date. Then you just re-apply.

Have a look here

http://www.myspain.es/forum/your-health-sun/45606-how-apply-ehic-card-online-now-youre-spanish-resident.html

Balcony
09-07-2011, 13:46
There was an interesting piece in the newspaper today. EHICs were started in the UK 5 years ago and they are valid for 5 years. So, this year many will expire.

However, the practical use of the card is more important. The newspaper article indicated that the NHS website explains what happens in each country, but make the point that not all hospitals will accept the EHIC. The article then gave examples for France, Greece and Spain and advice for using the EHIC in Spain is -

before you consult a doctor or hospital ensure that they accept your EHIC. Some hospitals and health centres offer both private and state-provided health care - you must inform them which services you require.

Any costs incurred for private health care are non-refundable and not covered by the EHIC, but may be covered by travel insurance. Dental treatment is generally not available under the state system and the costs are not refundable.

Medicines prescribed by health-service practicioners can be obtained from any pharmacy. You will be charged up to 40% of the cost unless your are a UK or EEA pensioner. If you require an ambulance, ask the hospital to confirm that it offers state-provided health care. If you are asked to pay up front, you are not being treated under the Spanish health service and your EHIC will not be accepted.

For holiday-makers there are difficulties of language that become obvious and there is anecdotal evidence of unfriendly receptions given to some tourists who do not speak Spanish at state hospitals . Quite the opposite if you are a private customer! I wonder why? LOL

No-one, obviously, goes away thinking they will become ill, or involved in an accident, but there are so many factors that could 'iinnocently' mean you suffer something - uneven pavements, weird and wonderful meetings of different pavement levels, broken stairs, too much wine to name a few. This weekend brought unexpected accidents to the fore when a friend's father was in a bad accident. Just prepare yourself when travelling with the EHIC and private insurance.

There is a useful booklet you can get which is a quick reference health phrase book diagrams and medical text in various languages. the one I have is "What Should I Do? Spanish".Go to www.whatshouldIdo.com and order it. You will have to search the site a little, but it pays dividends! Email info@whatshouldIdo.com. I don't know if they will mail to Tenerife, but you can ask.

sleepy
09-07-2011, 14:01
Thanks Balcony,very useful information.

I wonder how many people would fall into this category too.

I am unemployed here in Tenerife and my benefits have finished which means I'm no longer paying into the system and therefore have no health cover.I'm also nowhere near to pensionable age and therefore couldn't use an EH1C card.
Now....this is where other problems creep in.
When I have to return to the UK now and again and in the event of any emergency,I'm not entitled to health care there either because they wont issue me with an EH1C card here as I'm no longer able to pay into the system.

Balcony
09-07-2011, 15:31
You don't have to be a pensioner to use an EHIC card. It is available to all UK residents. They won't give you a card because you are not entitled to it as you are not resident, that's all. That's one of the choices you have to consider when moving abroad. You can't have a foot in both camps, so to speak.