PDA

View Full Version : News of the World.

Jimandsi
05-07-2011, 19:04
I see that the NOTW Sunday comic is going to lose a big chunk of it's advertising revenue because of it's disgraceful behavior .....

A T-Mobile spokesman told the Telegraph: "We’re currently reviewing our advertising position with News of the World, following the recent allegations, and await the outcome of the ongoing police investigation.”
It is also understood that Currys and PC World are reviewing their options.
On Tuesday afternoon, it emerged that car manufacturer Ford has pulled its advertising in the News of the World.
Ford has suspended all advertising with the News of the World until the phone hacking claims have been fully investigated.
The car manufacturer said in a statement: "Ford is a company which cares about the standards of behaviour of its own people and those it deals with externally. We are awaiting an outcome from the News of the World investigation and expect a speedy and decisive response. Pending this response we will be using alternative media within and outside News International Group instead of placing Ford advertising in the News of the World."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/8618647/T-Mobile-reviews-News-of-the-World-advertising-over-Milly-Dowler-phone-hacking-claims.html

Let's just hope that it goes down the pan as soon as possible eh.

dokgolf
05-07-2011, 19:18
This has got to be one of the most distasteful things I have ever heard. I hope a full enquiry takes place and the findings made public. The editor in charge ( I can't remember her name ) should resign immediately. Also, the owners of the paper surely have questions to answer?:gun:

Jimandsi
05-07-2011, 19:27
With the attention this is attracting in the UK at the moment they will also lose a very big chunk of their readership.

So .....

Decreased advertising revenue + decreased sales = goodbye NOTW.

The Sun next hopefully.

pablo1
05-07-2011, 19:29
Hopefully this will be the start of more people taking Murdoch to task for trying to monopolise the news media with his ruthless tactics.

A caricature bond villain if I ever did see....

Bazzer
05-07-2011, 20:40
What do others make of the timing, - seeing as all this has come out just as Murdoch is trying to push the Sky deal through?

Jimandsi
05-07-2011, 20:48
What do others make of the timing, - seeing as all this has come out just as Murdoch is trying to push the Sky deal through?

Hadn't thought of that - someone trying to put the boot in.

A little bit tasteless though ?

Bazzer
05-07-2011, 20:54
Didn't look as if the regulators were going to stop the Sky deal, but the publicity generated by all this just could?

with cheese
05-07-2011, 21:02
shoot him,

MaxineC
05-07-2011, 22:14
There's a huge campaign on Twitter at the moment asking for readers & advertisers alike to boycott the paper... Suddenly, all their (previously) gobby 'contributors' (I don't believe they can call themselves journalists) have gone very quiet... others have even started to be pleasant & well mannered, whereas before this they thought they were the bees knees!

They rarely report any real news, so the sooner it's collapses, the better...

garlicbread
05-07-2011, 22:29
The News of The World, in spite of itself has the largest (by far) circulation of a National Sunday paper with over 2.6 million readers. Says a lot about Britain, let's just see if their advertisers have the balls to ditch the paper, sadly I doubt it with that sort of readership figures. I'm amazed the type of people that buy it can actually read. having said that I haven't actually seena copy since I left the UK in 2003.

MaxineC
05-07-2011, 22:41
The News of The World, in spite of itself has the largest (by far) circulation of a National Sunday paper with over 2.6 million readers. Says a lot about Britain, let's just see if their advertisers have the balls to ditch the paper, sadly I doubt it with that sort of readership figures. I'm amazed the type of people that buy it can actually read. having said that I haven't actually seena copy since I left the UK in 2003.

They can't read, they look at the pictures... :whistle:

I'm not so sure advertisers will stick with them, at least not the big ones. This latest scandal has sickened people to the core. The bigger reputable companies won't want to be seen to be supporting the NOTW on this one...

pablo1
05-07-2011, 22:43

Ford have already pulled their advertising. Virgin Media and Easyjet are set to follow in the next couple of days.

redarrow
06-07-2011, 12:47
Stop Murdoch by clicking this link (http://www.avaaz.org/en/murdoch_messages_2/?copy) and sending your protest. We have 48 hours.

garlicbread
06-07-2011, 16:14
Stop Murdoch by clicking this link (http://www.avaaz.org/en/murdoch_messages_2/?copy) and sending your protest. We have 48 hours.

Done it .....................

howard thornton
06-07-2011, 16:24

there are 30,000 votes gone on this afternoon 94,000 now

Zara
06-07-2011, 16:31
Including one from me :)

Tom & Sharon
06-07-2011, 16:35

Prefer the Sunday Sport myself,Quality newspaper LOL:eyebrows:

Tom:hat:

Santiago
06-07-2011, 16:39
Including one from me :)

And me! ..............:hat:

Sylla
06-07-2011, 17:17
Done it ! and I had already signed the 38degrees one yesterday ...

howard thornton
06-07-2011, 18:00

now past the 100,000 target, wow.

MaxineC
06-07-2011, 18:34
Added mine too.... actually, I sent 7 from different mail accounts! :D

Added after 59 minutes:

Here's a link (http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/public/nol_public_news/1346211/News-of-the-World-Editor-Colin-Mylers-message-to-staff.html?CMP=SOCjam_TW_NOTW) to an internal email the NOTW Editor has sent to all the staff... but they've also made it public. Personally, I think it's a pile of boll@cks!

junglejim
07-07-2011, 16:55
Added mine too.... actually, I sent 7 from different mail accounts! :D

Added after 59 minutes:

Here's a link (http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/public/nol_public_news/1346211/News-of-the-World-Editor-Colin-Mylers-message-to-staff.html?CMP=SOCjam_TW_NOTW) to an internal email the NOTW Editor has sent to all the staff... but they've also made it public. Personally, I think it's a pile of boll@cks!

NOTW to close down !! - Jimand Si can start on the Sun now !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

garlicbread
07-07-2011, 17:01
and more here

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3086713.ece

and remember Murdoch owns The Times

MaxineC
07-07-2011, 17:16
NOTW to close down !! - Jimand Si can start on the Sun now !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

You beat me to it, was just about to post a link to Sky news.... ;)

If ever there was a reason (not that I need one ;)) to open the brandy, that is is.... and I can drink lots, day off tomorrow! :D

mossy
07-07-2011, 17:16
Why didn't he sell it?he could've got a fair few bob for it and save thousands of jobs at the same time.

MaxineC
07-07-2011, 17:19
Why didn't he sell it?he could've got a fair few bob for it and save thousands of jobs at the same time.

Who the hell in their right mind would buy it? Finally had a taste of their own medicine... bet they don't like the flavour of it! :D

mossy
07-07-2011, 17:28
Who the hell in their right mind would buy it? Finally had a taste of their own medicine... bet they don't like the flavour of it! :D

Everything has a price,tangible assets are worth something at least but apparently it might be called THE SUN ON SUNDAY i think

MaxineC
07-07-2011, 17:47
Everything has a price,tangible assets are worth something at least but apparently it might be called THE SUN ON SUNDAY i think

Yes, normally I would agree with that, however to hack the phones of murdered people is so low, even new owners would find it hard to gain the trust of the public/readership again... a mere name change wouldn't do it. Incidentally, the Sun will now be available 7 days...

wahay
07-07-2011, 18:03
omg notw has annouced its last publication this sunday

mossy
07-07-2011, 18:06
Yes, normally I would agree with that, however to hack the phones of murdered people is so low, even new owners would find it hard to gain the trust of the public/readership again... a mere name change wouldn't do it. Incidentally, the Sun will now be available 7 days...

So really nothing has changed,most of the staff have been offered jobs within the company,you can fool the people sometimes..................springs to mind

MaxineC
07-07-2011, 18:10
So really nothing has changed,most of the staff have been offered jobs within the company,you can fool the people sometimes..................springs to mind

Depending on what the official investigation unearths (not the one conducted in-house) the Sun may also be facing an uncertain future as everybody knows the 2 papers are connected...

mossy
07-07-2011, 18:20
You beat me to it,i was just about to mention the sun is next;definitely the knives are out now especially some politicians were waiting for something like this to get their revenge on murdoch,we could be looking at the end of an empire.At last we might have free and fair elections :)

junglejim
07-07-2011, 18:23
Oh dear!!- Jimand Si's worst nightmare - The Sun on Sunday !!:run::ban:

captain jack sparrow
07-07-2011, 18:38
Mistic Meg to be made redundant, Bet she never saw that coming :whistle:

Tom & Sharon
07-07-2011, 18:40

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour by the journalists and private investigators involved,however the countries oldest (168yrs) and most widely circulated (2.6m readers) paper despite what people would like to think has been sacrificed on the altar of big (Sky) business.
The little guy may lose their jobs so Murdoch can continue on his quest for world media domination and those at the top who have admitted bribing Metropolitan police officers keep theirs
No justice yet again!!

Tom:mad:

Mind you,the SUN seven days a week,poor Jimandsi:whistle::raspberry2:

doreen
07-07-2011, 19:07
Absolutely disgraceful behaviour by the journalists and private investigators involved,however the countries oldest (168yrs) and most widely circulated (2.6m readers) paper despite what people would like to think has been sacrificed on the altar of big (Sky) business.
The little guy may lose their jobs so Murdoch can continue on his quest for world media domination and those at the top who have admitted bribing Metropolitan police officers keep theirs
No justice yet again!!

:

Got to agree with Max - the NOTW brand is dead ... far too many skeletons to revive it

MaxineC
07-07-2011, 19:26
No justice yet again!!

Mind you,the SUN seven days a week,poor Jimandsi:whistle::raspberry2:

My heart goes out to the innocent members of staff. However, how many of them felt guilty when families/lives/careers were wrecked when they've printed scandalous stories about peoples private lives, that then turned out to be false.... I'm guessing not too many, and they picked up their monthly salary without hesitation.

I'm on Twitter, as are many of the NOTW 'journos', and I've read the crap they write about people, thinking they are beyond reproach. They then try and cover their tracks by deleting said posts. All very quiet now, and some even looking for sympathy... :eek:

Personally, I feel they've got their long over-due comeuppance.... Karma at its best!

Tom & Sharon
07-07-2011, 20:02
My heart goes out to the innocent members of staff. However, how many of them felt guilty when families/lives/careers were wrecked when they've printed scandalous stories about peoples private lives, that then turned out to be false.... I'm guessing not too many, and they picked up their monthly salary without hesitation.

I'm on Twitter, as are many of the NOTW 'journos', and I've read the crap they write about people, thinking they are beyond reproach. They then try and cover their tracks by deleting said posts. All very quiet now, and some even looking for sympathy... :eek:

Personally, I feel they've got their long over-due comeuppance.... Karma at its best!

I'm not condoning what they did (Journalists)however not everyone at NOTW is a journalist.
I was pointing out that the big fish get away with the crimes as usual at somebody else's expense.
No doubt Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson will soon feel the heat on their collars provided the Met Police don't investigate :pray:

Tom

Jimandsi
07-07-2011, 20:59
I see that the NOTW Sunday comic is going to lose a big chunk of it's advertising revenue because of it's disgraceful behavior .....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/8618647/T-Mobile-reviews-News-of-the-World-advertising-over-Milly-Dowler-phone-hacking-claims.html

Let's just hope that it goes down the pan as soon as possible eh.

That's great

With the attention this is attracting in the UK at the moment they will also lose a very big chunk of their readership.

So .....

Decreased advertising revenue + decreased sales = goodbye NOTW.

The Sun next hopefully.

I forecast it'll be gone by the end of this month - good riddance to it as well.

MaxineC
07-07-2011, 23:26
That's great

I forecast it'll be gone by the end of this month - good riddance to it as well.

I said the same thing, people laughed at me (not here) claiming their 'history' would keep them afloat... Even I couldn't have hoped for such a swift collapse. Sometimes it feels so good to be proved right.... *smug face* ;)

doreen
10-07-2011, 09:21
Any of our UK based members buying the News of the World today ... 5 million print run, so some one must be.

DaveRF
10-07-2011, 09:57
I won't be that's for sure. I despise that sort of journalism. That said who's to blame. If the public didn't rush to buy it................................

doreen
10-07-2011, 10:09
I won't be that's for sure. I despise that sort of journalism. That said who's to blame. If the public didn't rush to buy it................................

You mean, we get the papers we deserve ... because we buy them ...

DaveRF
10-07-2011, 10:50
You mean, we get the papers we deserve ... because we buy them ...

I suppose I am saying that. I think people enjoy reading the juicy trash but don't really think about the effects a story might be having on those the story is about. Often the stories are wildly embellished or aspects taken out of context. I hate how the press can ruin people's lives. Some deserve it but a lot don't.

mossy
10-07-2011, 12:36
Since it's a historical moment,buy as many as you can as an investment.It wouldn't surprise me if they're on ebay sooner than we might think.

doreen
10-07-2011, 12:42
Since it's a historical moment,buy as many as you can as an investment.It wouldn't surprise me if they're on ebay sooner than we might think.

But 5 million copies out there ... what's that ... one for every 11 or 12 people in the UK :)

pablo1
10-07-2011, 12:53
What they did was reprehensible, and for the most they produced trashy/sensationalised stories, which in a lot of cases turned out to be more fiction than fact.
On the other hand some of their sporting scoops were fantastic, and seeing as I only ever read the back pages, I for one will miss that aspect of the newspaper.
I won't be buying it today....but only because the football season hasn't started yet !! :-)

mossy
10-07-2011, 13:37
But 5 million copies out there ... what's that ... one for every 11 or 12 people in the UK :)

They'll all be destined for the recycling bin.

AJP
10-07-2011, 23:49
Billy bragg says it all...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1P6KUyOhBc

junglejim
11-07-2011, 08:06

You mean like this ?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3687721/EBay-bidders-offer-up-to-30-for-historic-final-edition-of-the-News-of-the-World.html

mossy
11-07-2011, 08:16
You mean like this ?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3687721/EBay-bidders-offer-up-to-30-for-historic-final-edition-of-the-News-of-the-World.html

I should've taken my own advice lol

Balcony
11-07-2011, 09:29
I won't mourn the passing of the NOTW. I haven't read it in many years, but I can remember it as essential reading when I was terribly young. It's stories were the gossip of the playground on Monday morning!

In later life I circulated to newspapers details of some crazy law they passed in Tenerife and was actually contacted by a reporter from the NOTW. We met and I told him the story and when it was published you'd never know it was the same thing and my ranking when up to 'Finance boss off north London'.

I hate the salacious headlines these days and celebrity gossip (that'd be crap), not only of the NOTW, where the headline takes up more space that the story - which usually amounts to very little anyway and some Z-list celebrities not worth a toss making a living doing nothing in life....move over K Price, P Andre, C Cole - get out of my life!

MaxineC
11-07-2011, 18:50
I certainly won't mourn it, in the past they've trashed 3 of my friends lives with their sensational/totally crap 'scoops'... :(

Bobby
11-07-2011, 19:24
Not wishing to offend anyone, in my younger days the NOTW was affectionately known as " The screws of the World" Sorry.

Susief
11-07-2011, 19:27
Good riddance to the NOTW. Wouldn't even wrap my chips in it!

howard thornton
11-07-2011, 20:02
Good riddance to the NOTW. Wouldn't even wrap my chips in it!

nah, the ink comes off on your chips. after today's news the sun will wont reign much longer.

Jimandsi
11-07-2011, 21:21
Please see post #39 in this thread ;)

MaxineC
11-07-2011, 21:45

Why??? NOt a particularly riveting post...

Susief
11-07-2011, 21:59

Mystic Jimbob! You want a gold star or something?

MaxineC
11-07-2011, 23:13

What, repeating what I said in post 31...??? :whistle: :raspberry2:

Mystic Jimbob! You want a gold star or something?

Nah, he was 8 posts too late...Mystic Max is not only quicker, but has a much better ring to it! :D

Goforgold
13-07-2011, 19:58
I've not heard all the ins and outs of the 'hacking' so probably missed something, but would someone be able to put me straight on how the recordings of the Princess Diana phone calls were done along with the Charlie and Camilla t*mp*x one!! Would those have been recorded by so called 'hacking'? If so, how come no-one was brought to task?

MaxineC
14-07-2011, 00:42
There's also talk of some of the British victims of 9/11's messages having been accessed too.... despicable, if true. :(

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 09:27
There's also talk of some of the British victims of 9/11's messages having been accessed too.... despicable, if true. :(

I still don't understand why nothing was done when it concerned the Windsor's. They are in with Murdoch too?? :)

Whilst I agree the whole affair is despicable I can't help but imagine listening in to Rooney setting up his 'meetings'!! Couldn't have happened to a nicer chap. :)

Harmonicaman
14-07-2011, 20:26
10 year old Holly...Agony Aunt (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/features/agony-aunt/your-problems-solved%2c-with-holly-harper-201107134068/).

BobMac
15-07-2011, 12:02
Just announced

Brooks has resigned as Head of News International

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14166162

caroletenerife
12-08-2011, 22:32
Im sooooooo excited, a letter has been sent to my scottish house from News International saying they believe my phone has been hacked. I cant for a minute figure out why but cant wait for it to be sent. I wonder if i can sue....mmmmmm, where theres blame theres a claim:idea: